User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 451 to 500 of 567

Thread: The New Years diet fred (No Tims allowed)

  1. #451
    Living Legend! TG09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    GP said I have to cut carbs massively, anyone have any good lunch options/recipes?

    My lunches never have carbs, mainly consist of salad and a meat. Tuna, chicken, steak that sort of thing.

  2. #452
    Living Legend! TG09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    In my opinion, the key to weight loss is in the diet rather than the exercise. Exercise is great at keeping yourself healthy, though.

    You can eat 500 calories in about 5 minutes. It's going to take you an hour or so to work that off in the gym.
    True, losing weight is roughly 70% - 80% diet and rest working out, fitness, cardio etc...

    You need to burn more calories then you put in to the body.

  3. #453
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    In my opinion, the key to weight loss is in the diet rather than the exercise. Exercise is great at keeping yourself healthy, though.

    You can eat 500 calories in about 5 minutes. It's going to take you an hour or so to work that off in the gym.
    Yeah this is true. Just personally I find it really hard to stay on track if I'm not exercising as well as eating well.

    It's 100% a mental thing with me.

  4. #454
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah this is true. Just personally I find it really hard to stay on track if I'm not exercising as well as eating well.

    It's 100% a mental thing with me.
    Oh, I definitely get that. It's a lot easier to resist the temptation of a 400 calorie piece of cake when you can equate it to your gym session earlier that day.

  5. #455
    Living Legend! TG09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah this is true. Just personally I find it really hard to stay on track if I'm not exercising as well as eating well.

    It's 100% a mental thing with me.
    Also makes it hard over holidays when people do lunches and bring in awesome food. I failed over Christmas, but so far been on track.

  6. #456
    Won the Old Board Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    15,764
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are fat enough that your doctor is on your case about your carbohydrate intake you could live on sausages and omelettes and the weight would still fly off. Get on that Tyson Fury burgers and cheese diet.

  7. #457
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't on my case, I was asking him.

    He's also set up blood tests for me to take and will refer me to a dietician (I've been twice, they're crap) because I said losing weight would help with my depression.

  8. #458
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which are the real ones and which are the chancers? Dieticians or nutritionists?

  9. #459
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Which are the real ones and which are the chancers? Dieticians or nutritionists?
    https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...-nutritionist/

    Dietitian (that doesn't look right but whatever) are the proper ones.

    They weren't much help last time I went down that route though.

  10. #460
    Senior Member Offshore Toon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true, but I find exercise gives you the double whammy of losing weight whilst also suppressing your appetite. Once I get in the swing of gym and running every day I'm on easy street, but it takes a while to get there.

    EDIT: That's a response to the end of the last page.

  11. #461
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently eating carrots with a lentil dip...

  12. #462
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Currently eating carrots with a lentil dip...
    Download the myfitnesspal app and start to track everything you eat and drink. Really helps with portion control and eventually weight loss.

    It's a pain for the first couple of weeks scanning and inputting everything but becomes easier and helps loads.

  13. #463
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myfitnesspal is essential if you've never used it. It completely changed my mindset and educated me so much about portion control. I don't really bother with it now because I don't feel the need, but I used it for about a year when I originally went from obese to normal.

  14. #464
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of calories in pasta for example is mental. I used to have pretty much two handfuls on my own and think I was 'being healthy'. That's probably about 150g of pasta at around 500 calories. Adding in meat & cheese etc and you're not far off 1000 calories.

    I think that's where people say 'oh just cut out carbs' when really they should be talking about portion control.

  15. #465
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. My mother in law is overweight, and my wife has been trying to educate her about calories for years. She'll be on a "diet" and for dinner she'll have a huge portion of pasta, covered in grated cheese, with a garlic pizzabread shared with her husband. It must be pushing 1000+ calories easily, yet she thinks she's had a healthy meal.

  16. #466
    Senior Member Boydy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,889
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could anyone think that's healthy by any measure?

  17. #467
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Oh, it's only pasta"

  18. #468
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think their generation see pasta as an inherently healthy food. So having loads of it isn't a problem.

  19. #469
    Administrator Kiků's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Laaaaaandan
    Posts
    5,488
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Associate it with the Italians and their healthy long living. However that was probably more down to a scarcity of food in that generation.

    Carb wise - obviously what's been said but also look for foods "low fat" as they're usually packed with sugar. Sugar converts to carbs and you've got your insulin spikes which increases the hunger levels. Sugar is the real devil.

  20. #470
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can live with those 1 cal sprays in place of oil thats a ridiculous saving in calories, too. 2 tbsp of that is like 250 calories.

  21. #471
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I use one of those, but typically need about 8 sprays. Still better than freepouring oil.

  22. #472
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the sprays so much.

  23. #473
    Senior Member Boydy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,889
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiků View Post
    Associate it with the Italians and their healthy long living. However that was probably more down to a scarcity of food in that generation.

    Carb wise - obviously what's been said but also look for foods "low fat" as they're usually packed with sugar. Sugar converts to carbs and you've got your insulin spikes which increases the hunger levels. Sugar is the real devil.
    Other way round - carbs become sugar.

  24. #474
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung Health is much cleaner than myfitnesspal for tracking food. The latter is a mess.

  25. #475
    Senior Member Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I think their generation see pasta as an inherently healthy food. So having loads of it isn't a problem.
    Lots of older people who struggle with weight have gone through weight watchers, slimming world, slim fast etc and there's never any mention of calories in vs calories out just whatever gimmick they're trying to push.

    My partners mum was doing slimming world last year and they encourage you to eat as much pasta as you want, no tracking or counting. Just eating it till you're full. It's criminal really.

    I tried.to explain to her about counting calories and she was having none of it, she ended up saying all that really matters is sugar so I'll watch that for a bit.

  26. #476
    Senior Member Boydy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,889
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Lots of older people who struggle with weight have gone through weight watchers, slimming world, slim fast etc and there's never any mention of calories in vs calories out just whatever gimmick they're trying to push.

    My partners mum was doing slimming world last year and they encourage you to eat as much pasta as you want, no tracking or counting. Just eating it till you're full. It's criminal really.

    I tried.to explain to her about counting calories and she was having none of it, she ended up saying all that really matters is sugar so I'll watch that for a bit.
    That's not all that slimming world says, to be fair to them. They tell you to fill up a third (or maybe half, I can't remember exactly) of your plate with veg. And the pasta wouldn't be covered with cheese sauce or anything. It's all very low in fat. Their diet actually works.

  27. #477
    Senior Member mugbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,797
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutting carbs is good for losing fat, if not especially for losing weight

  28. #478
    Senior Member Pepe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,264
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutting limbs is good for both.

  29. #479
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    That's not all that slimming world says, to be fair to them. They tell you to fill up a third (or maybe half, I can't remember exactly) of your plate with veg. And the pasta wouldn't be covered with cheese sauce or anything. It's all very low in fat. Their diet actually works.
    Itís not really sustainable though as you can Ďcheat the systemí to save up your syns to have on treats but depending on the calories in those syns, you could put on weight.

    There are benefits to it but itís essentially making it into a game rather than the actual science of eating less calories than you expend.

  30. #480
    Administrator SvN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did a weigh in - 11lbs down so far since new year's day. I managed to survive the two days in the office without having a beer, so that was positive. It's my birthday this weekend though, so I expect to have a difficult few days. I'm definitely drinking and eating out, hopefully I don't over indulge.

  31. #481
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Just did a weigh in - 11lbs down so far since new year's day. I managed to survive the two days in the office without having a beer, so that was positive. It's my birthday this weekend though, so I expect to have a difficult few days. I'm definitely drinking and eating out, hopefully I don't over indulge.
    That's awesome!

    It's a bit of a cliche but I've found the best way to do it is to eat whatever you want on your birthday, but get right back on the wagon the next day. Worst case you might gain a few pounds of water weight etc which should disappear by the weekend after, but you won't do too much damage.

  32. #482
    Senior Member Offshore Toon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    01/01/2019: 110.6kg
    06/01/2019: 110.3kg

    That's a bit shit, but I did end up getting hammered on Friday and binge eating a bit yesterday. I think I might switch to Friday morning weigh-ins as at least there'll be more consistent readings that what we get on Sundays. This coming weekend is going to be heavy, but then there's a three-and-a-half week run with no temptations.
    107.6kg today which is consistent with the readings this week. I think that's a fairer reflection given I'm not crammed with food. I'll weigh tomorrow and that'll be my official number, then next week I'll be happy to be anywhere close to that as this weekend will be a blow out. From there I've four working weeks with no big plans so I'm going to attempt to keep my head down.

  33. #483
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cauliflower rice is fucking shambolic.

  34. #484
    Living Legend! TG09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on my Coconut cream, chia seeds and berries for breakfast. Added Coconut flakes to mix it up a bit.

  35. #485
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to force myself to eat breakfast. Made one of them yogurt porridge loaves as I don't like wet porridge and it's handy to eat driving.

  36. #486
    Now in technicolor Pen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,220
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I'm sltill trying to force myself to eat breakfast. Made one of them yogurt porridge loaves as I don't like wet porridge and it's handy to eat driving.
    Sounds good that. Link for the recipe please.

    Iím not trying to lose weight, but I have been trying to get back to my usual diet after really going overboard with overindulging in everything during my holiday in December. As a result Iím hungry all the time which is annoying, as I made a bet about quitting sweets, crisps, etc. until my sons birthday in April. I think eating quite a bit of meat (I donít usually eat any) during my holiday plays some part with this hunger Iím feeling.
    Last edited by Pen; 10-01-2019 at 09:44 PM.

  37. #487
    Senior Member Boydy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7,889
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Cauliflower rice is fucking shambolic.
    Yeah, it's awful.

  38. #488
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smells like feet.

  39. #489
    Senior Member mugbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,797
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it enough

  40. #490
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Sounds good that. Link for the recipe please.

    Iím not trying to lose weight, but I have been trying to get back to my usual diet after really going overboard with overindulging in everything during my holiday in December. As a result Iím hungry all the time which is annoying, as I made a bet about quitting sweets, crisps, etc. until my sons birthday in April. I think eating quite a bit of meat (I donít usually eat any) during my holiday plays some part with this hunger Iím feeling.
    500g tub of yogurt (I used blueberry last time).
    Wash and dry out the tub, fill with porridge oats.
    1 teaspoon of bread soda (bicarb).
    Ĺ teaspoon of salt.

    Mix all up, put in a greased loaf tin, bake for 40 mins at 180įC, remove from tin, bake for 10 mins at 180įC.

  41. #491
    Now in technicolor Pen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,220
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Will try that on the weekend.

  42. #492
    Won the Old Board Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    15,764
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good. I always have porridge before the gym, so that might make a change.

  43. #493
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it quite dense? Sounds interesting.

  44. #494
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not bad, not too dry so it can be eaten without anything on it.

    Handy to grab going out the door to eat on the go.

  45. #495
    Senior Member Giggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Kildare
    Posts
    17,908
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  46. #496
    Senior Member Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,529
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks decent. Iíd stick peanut butter or jam on that as well. Might do some at the weekend as well.

  47. #497
    Senior Member Offshore Toon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Cauliflower rice is fucking shambolic.
    I like it, but then I like cauliflower. Aldi do frozen stuff but also Mediterranean style cauliflower rice that's really good.


  48. #498
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Yeah, it's awful.
    I also had some broccoli rice (we bought a big pack of each and had a bit of both) which was a lot better.

    But broccoli is far superior for me.

  49. #499
    Bookie Sir Andy Mahowry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    22,910
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    I like it, but then I like cauliflower. Aldi do frozen stuff but also Mediterranean style cauliflower rice that's really good.

    I like cauliflower but not just boiled.

    That looks decent though.

  50. #500
    Senior Member Offshore Toon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    01/01/19: 110.6kg
    06/01/19: 110.3kg
    11/01/19: 106.7kg

    With a 0.9kg drop from just yesterday I reckon I'm still shitting out Christmas.

    Targeting 100kg by April and 95kg by July.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •