Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 10299

Thread: The little things in life that fuck you off

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. It really is awful.

There are other places in Edinburgh, you know.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Why did you move to Edinburgh in the first place?
    People always feel they have to move to big cities because they might be missing something and society tells them that it's the thing to do.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wasn't what I meant.

Presumably he moved for a job or because he knew some people there or something. It seems a bit random to just pick a city and move there with no reason or connection for the move.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, cities are far more interesting places to be when you're young.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I was going stir crazy living in Rugby. I basically had about 3 mates and we went to the pub every weekend and saw the same middle aged blokes, never met anyone new, never any chance to meet women, it was bollocks basically. I'd visited Edinburgh a couple of times in the past and fucking loved it, and my oldest friend had a room going in his flat at a really cheap price, and I had a job I could do anywhere. Seemed like a no brainer at the time.

Since then Rugby has incomprehensibly gotten quite good, and the reality of working from home and living in a grotty little flat on the Gorgie Road isn't quite what I hoped it would be. Obviously hard to meet people when I work from home as well.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grass is greener etc. Get the fuck out of Gorgie if you can afford it.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, cities are far more interesting places to be when you're young.
    They are if you like living in a shoe box and having everywhere you want to go to be overcrowded.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How has Rugby changed since you left? Won't you probably just fall into the same routine when/if you move back?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    They are if you like living in a shoe box and having everywhere you want to go to be overcrowded.
    The first you can put up with when you're young and don't have any responsibilities, the second is an advantage when you want to meet new people, particularly ones with similar interests since there's a far more diverse range of things going on in cities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgie is fine. It's not like you're far from the rest of the city, and it has good supermarkets far more handily than elsewhere. Can't wish for a whole lot more at cheapish prices, it's not like the average young adult is going to get a place in Stockbridge.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Grass is greener etc. Get the fuck out of Gorgie if you can afford it.
    I can't with the current job, but then I can barely afford to live anywhere but in my mum's house paying negligible rent with that. If I get that job the recruiters are offering me I could get a room in a nice flat in Morningside or something. The job is a 6 month contract initially, so part of me reckons I should just go for it and see how it goes. My mates in Rugby will still be there then if I'm still not happy.

You're probably right, Gorgie is pretty grim, and it's probably been having more of an impact on how I've been feeling about Edinburgh than I realised.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Gorgie a place or short for/nickname for somewhere?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can work from "anywhere" why not just do one to Thailand/Costa Rica/Bucharest or something and live like a king?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Is Gorgie a place or short for/nickname for somewhere?
    It's an area in Edinburgh, out to the east of the city centre.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edinburgh is disgustingly expensive so if you're not highly qualified or on that particular path it's going to suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    If you can work from "anywhere" why not just do one to Thailand/Costa Rica/Bucharest or something and live like a king?
    This.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really not that bad.

Although I was onto a great thing with my last flat and should never have more out. Two seventy a month for a great place just off the Royal Mile. Flats like that probably don't appear very often.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £270 a month

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How has Rugby changed since you left? Won't you probably just fall into the same routine when/if you move back?
    Our gang of friends has grown fucking exponentially (because I left ha ha), so there's always people about wanting to do stuff. Seems to be far more people in their late teens and early 20s just about in general too. Totally unfounded speculation but maybe a few more of the interesting smart kids are sticking around for a bit rather than going straight to uni cus of the fee increases.

But yeah, you're probably right. There's still a glass ceiling in terms of how much I can get out of Rugby, and it still seems pretty useless in terms of meeting women. I can't keep living at home with this shit job indefinitely, because neither me nor my mum are particularly delighted with that arrangement. Basically I want to get this job the recruitment agency told me about, get a nice flat in a good bit of Edinburgh but bring all my mates from Rugby with me as well.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Our gang of friends has grown fucking exponentially (because I left ha ha), so there's always people about wanting to do stuff. Seems to be far more people in their late teens and early 20s just about in general too. Totally unfounded speculation but maybe a few more of the interesting smart kids are sticking around for a bit rather than going straight to uni cus of the fee increases.

But yeah, you're probably right. There's still a glass ceiling in terms of how much I can get out of Rugby, and it still seems pretty useless in terms of meeting women. I can't keep living at home with this shit job indefinitely, because neither me nor my mum are particularly delighted with that arrangement. Basically I want to get this job the recruitment agency told me about, get a nice flat in a good bit of Edinburgh but bring all my mates from Rugby with me as well.
    Gorgie is shite, but Edinburgh in general has a hell of a lot more going for it than Rugby for fuck's sake... That being said, I'd be lying if in the first few months of being in Bristol I didn't think of going back to Swansea due to my mates there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgie isn't shite you cunts.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Well, it isn't horrendous, but I am pretty deep into it. I'd probably be fine with it if I was the other side of Sainsbury's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How close are you to the McDonalds? I'd lol if you were in the same block as my sister's flat.

I don't really see the issue. It's well serviced enough by buses - and close enough to walk if you get really desperate - that it really doesn't limit how much you can do in the proper heart of Edinburgh. I guess I just don't care that much about the direct neighbourhood I live in. I did live in Dennistoun for most of my time in Glasgow and not really understand the dim view people had of it either.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the context of that city, it is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're just a snob. I'd happily move back there were I to return to Edinburgh.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How close are you to the McDonalds? I'd lol if you were in the same block as my sister's flat.

I don't really see the issue. It's well serviced enough by buses - and close enough to walk if you get really desperate - that it really doesn't limit how much you can do in the proper heart of Edinburgh. I guess I just don't care that much about the direct neighbourhood I live in. I did live in Dennistoun for most of my time in Glasgow and not really understand the dim view people had of it either.
    A bit less than half a mile away.

I do see your point Tobez - I get why you and others wouldn't give a shit about the direct surroundings of their house, but I guess I do. It is fine for when you wanna get a bus into town to actually do stuff, but I like to be able to walk out of my house and amble up the road in pleasant surroundings when I want to go for a pint or get some milk or whatever. Especially being in Edinburgh, where part of the reason I fell in love with the city in the first place was the pretty buildings and shit. Seems a bit pointless being in this part of town.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edinburgh is a kip, so if this is a bad end of it then it must be woeful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course you wouldn't like Edinburgh.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course you wouldn't like Edinburgh.
    Explain. There has to be a point to that remark.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hits the Giggles-hatred point of being almost universally well liked but also being a bit poncey/pretentious in parts.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hits the Giggles-hatred point of being almost universally well liked but also being a bit poncey/pretentious in parts.
    Universally well liked? I've never heard anyone say anything much in that regard about it before. And most big cities are becoming increasingly poncey and pretentious these days, it's unavoidable but not something to hold against one place.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're just a snob. I'd happily move back there were I to return to Edinburgh.
    I wouldn't say so. I've lived in some shiteholes like Sketty and St Thomas in Swansea and Cosely in Wolverhampton, the Sliding City in Dudley... All fine working class shitholes, but they didn't sit within the context of a city that has Leith, Tolcross, Stockbridge, New Town etc.

I'm also naturally biased due to my utter distaste for Hearts, I must admit. The maroon pubs put me right off... A colleague of mine who lived (think she's still there) liked it, due to the distance to the city centre, I just felt like it stuck out as a hole for such an attractive city otherwise (that's not Wester Hails, Sighthill, Craigmillar which are a lot less central though undoubtedly the objectively shit places to be - Gorgie being the next neighbourhood beyong the West End paints it in a poor light).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Leith nice then? I always assumed it was a shithole because of Trainspotting.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The waterfront is particularly 'nice' - like most in the UK (Birmingham and Manchester Canals, Glasgow, Liverpool and Bristol Harbours, etc), the rejuvenation of the place has led to a lot of yuppy shite, but the Water of Leith is genuinely lovely and there's a deep rooted independent seem down there. Recent trips down there have been to nice bars and eateries, whilst my earliest memories are from 2003 staying with a mate from Leith when it wasn't quite as affluent but was still decent enough.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is lovely by the waterfront. Had some great monk fish at a restaurant near there.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody expensive, mind. To be fair, thinking on it, there's a fair chance I'd do Gorgie where I living up there too from memory of looking at prices when I was working up there and the ex talked of moving up and us making a go of it in Edinburgh... It's about the most affordable that close to Haymarket and the rest of the city. Seem to remember Marchmont being half decent value too.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it depends what you'd want, but when I was tentatively looking for places I found plenty of decent rooms going in areas I'd consider more convenient/nice than Gorgie for like £300-400 PCMish. Plenty of decent one bed flats for £550ish as well. Maybe not by the waterfront though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Edinburgh in general was good when compared to where she lived at the time in Cheltenham, which was hideous (at least for where we wanted to be in Montpellier) and Bristol where we ended up, which is a ludicrous place for property really.

Remains (along with Glasgow) one of the few other places that I'd consider moving to.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leith is glorious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck staying in a one bed flat on your own.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a 'you have to share for world experience' thing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not remotely, just that living alone is boring, especially if you're relatively new in the area.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not remotely, just that living alone is boring, especially if you're relatively new in the area.
    If you're in a city you can get your fill of people when you're out though if that's your thing. It's nice to come home to your own space and your own things at the end of a day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, if it's your thing. Igor doesn't sound very happy though.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wouldn't be too happy to arrive home and find some cunt had been in his milk either.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Giggles on this one RE staying on your own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just across the road from Aldi so he'd soon sort it. He doesn't seem like he'd be a Milk Nazi.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just across the road from Aldi so he'd soon sort it. He doesn't seem like he'd be a Milk Nazi.
    Not a milk nazi, a boundaries and not wanting cunts pulling the piss 'nazi'. Why should anyone spend their money on chancers?

But seriously, big lol at your solution to that being to traipse out and buy more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really had a problem with it in flats I've stayed in, with the exception of one lad in uni halls. Obviously there was less choice there, whereas as an adult you meet people before deciding whether to share and in every case I've seen generally share basic stuff like milk and toilet roll.

People who want to live alone but stay with others to save money are cunts, and they're the only sort who get pissy about milk and things.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living alone would be shit unless you've already got a wide group of established friends you can call on when you want to go do shit which Igor doesn't seem to have in Edinburgh right now.