User Tag List

Page 19 of 206 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The little things in life that fuck you off

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    What reasons are these then? And why won't the current product evolve with, or be leading them?
    Text-centric social media will be ancient. And it could evolve, but other competitors will always have the edge. It's sort of like how no toy retains its popularity past like 10 years or so. It loses its novelty value and people will move on.

Besides, Facebook will realize eventually they'll be able to make more money doing other things than "facebook.com", the social media site, and will begin to phase it out.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their ambition for a facebooknet will see their demise.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't get me wrong, I don't even like it that much, but it's absolutely brilliant at what it does and has always been ahead of the curve as far as the internet goes.

I get where you're coming from in terms of things not lasting forever (as I'm usually on that side of the argument), but 50 years is a relatively short space of time and not long enough for someone to fuck it up from where it is now.
    We are of course guessing but I see this as still the early days of the internet (or widespread network connectivity in general), go back to the fifties and tell someone that the British civil aviation or car industries would be dead in 10 years (let alone 15 or 20) and they'd have lolled you out of one of the square windows in their Comet.

Once Zuckerberg gets bored and loses control (his wife probably has that in his contract) it could go anywhere, and in such a volatile sector the most likely outcome is it being supplanted or marginalised.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mokbull View Post
    Text-centric social media will be ancient. And it could evolve, but other competitors will always have the edge. It's sort of like how no toy retains its popularity past like 10 years or so. It loses its novelty value and people will move on.

Besides, Facebook will realize eventually they'll be able to make more money doing other things than "facebook.com", the social media site, and will begin to phase it out.
    Facebook isn't really 'text-centric' as it is. There are written statuses, but words appear on my television screen and noone is calling that a text medium. It revolves far more clearly around pictures and videos, and since people aren't going to stop being self-obsessed whoppers any time soon I can't see a time when there isn't a demand for somewhere to upload twenty pictures of yourself a day.

If Facebook does die out it'll be because someone else beat them to a major advancement, but given the amount of money and the existing userbase they have it's more likely they'd just absorb whoever was doing that than go down to them.

Your point about toys fails along similar lines. Specific, gimmicky toys, like furbies or tamagotchis, tend to die out fairly quickly. At this point Facebook is more of a 'Lego', in that they're essentially a company which represents an industry.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but Legos don't need a large, involved userbase to be fun. Industry standards in social media oscillate in popularity much more quickly because your enjoyment of the product is tied directly to other peoples' enjoyment of the product

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Myspace?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose there's still no way for Facebook to get rid of them.

It'll be a serious problem in 50 years time for my generation. One's friend list will be absolutely heaving with dead people.

There must be someone at Facebook HQ thinking about this.
    I needed to delete a relatives account after he passed away a few days back and it really was quite simple. You just fill out a form with some proof you're close to the person in question (I attached a picture of his drivers license) and they'll have it down in a few hours.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Remember Myspace?
    Bebo ftw,

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Myspace?
    Yeah, they fucked it up. Zuckerberg basically used them as a bible as what not to do.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySpace was nothing like Facebook. Bebo took their eye off the ball and Yahoo ruined it just in time for FB to come in.

They were only on the go for about 4 years and it never really took off in America.

FB was always more popular there. Between that and twitter it's hard to see how it can get any better especially because they're so intrinsically linked.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next step is for us all to be wearing those fucking Google bins and imagineer words/pictures into other people's brains without having to type them up or use any sort of camera function. Everyone will look fucking ridiculous in said pictures because they'll all be wearing said bins, but it's more important just to generate the traffic for advertising space.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need MSN chat rooms back

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google+ basically evolved into a massive forum once they realised they hadn't a hope of even making a dent in Facebook. They've really given up on it themselves at this stage too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continuing with Facebook, how willing people are to share basically anything that starts with 'x wants this deleted from the internet', and how willing they are to believe that that's not only remotely possible, but has happened hundreds of times.

I've just been treated to a picture of two newborn babies in a cot with a Rangers scarf draped around it, which apparently needs to be shared because...

Cant even believe Celtic fans got this picture deleted. with 600 likes

1000 LIKES to prove a point. Cutest little bears I have ever seen and born yesterday... lets do it bears
    Fuck right off.

I suppose this is just a moan about people being gullible twats, but this particular manifestation of that pisses me right off.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    We need MSN chat rooms back
    haha yeah i did enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Google+ basically evolved into a massive forum once they realised they hadn't a hope of even making a dent in Facebook. They've really given up on it themselves at this stage too.
    I thought Google+ was going to get shut down at some point?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Facebook, I found this message a little odd. I'm sure all my friends are desperately wondering what I look like, seeing as it's been a whole year since I changed my profile picture.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same profile picture (Hulk Hogan doing 11/9) for eight years, so I must have beaten them.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else manage without social media? Most people I meet think I'm an oddball for not having Facebook.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly keep up with it so they stop sending me notification emails. Plus fam and that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Does anyone else manage without social media? Most people I meet think I'm an oddball for not having Facebook.
    No, but imagine if you asked someone for their email and they didn't have one. "No, sorry, i don't have an email address, never have". That would be fairly weird, so there's obviously some delimiter somewhere for what's socially acceptable.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An email address is different in that it doesn't require any real upkeep and isn't presenting a particular view of you to the world, unless your address is about a footballer being God or something, but there is a generational line in the sand for that stuff. Ask a seventy year old and you wouldn't be surprised to hear they didn't know what an email was, ask a seventeen year old and you would be surprised to find out most people hadn't seen their arse on Snapchat at some point in the last fortnight.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why people still moan about Facebook. It's as good/shit as you want it to be, so you might as well just have an account.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd never delete mine but I hardly use it since I deleted the app. Suppose there's no harm in having it there though but it needs a good chopping of people like ex colleagues from 10 years ago.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Lewis on this. Also, getting rid of facebook sort of reminds of that old joke - how do you know someone hasn't got a television? Don't worry, they'll tell you. Same with fazzy b ennit. Maybe I'm just a sheep but even if I hated the majority of facebook (i don't) I'd just maintain a super private profile, never look at the news feed, but just keep it for when I meet someone who goes 'oh I'll add you on facebook', so you can av a chat some time.

Surely it is great for when you meet someone you get on with, want to stay in touch with them, but don't want to exchange numbers because it seems a bit full-on. Exchanging emails would be even stranger I think. I guess it depends whether you value not being on facebook more than avoiding the fairly obvious social disadvantages that come from that.

There's probably about 50 or so people I've maintained decent friendships with from occasionally chatting to them on facebook that I probably would have never bothered to text. I've even slept with a couple of girls that I definitely wouldn't have if I didn't have facebook. It is just a tool that you can use however you want.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to find it great for keeping in touch with people at home when I moved to the UK and then presumed it'd have the same use when I moved back. But there's not much point in keeping in touch with people when you know you've moved permanently.
    But, as you say. It may as well stay there even if you never look at it.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my life is ever in the pits I'll sign up and poke Waff.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears I last used mine two years ago. Other then my girlfriend tagging me in everything.

It's just total shite.
    Test.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I don't know why people still moan about Facebook. It's as good/shit as you want it to be, so you might as well just have an account.
    That it's impossible to stop yourself being tagged in photos/etc. before everyone's seen them in their newsfeeds is probably the only valid complaint I've heard, and even then that only really matters if you're up to no good.

Generally people that complain about it and/or periodically come on and off it either have extreme narcissism or a problem with relationships that have ended badly.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure you can prevent anyone tagging you in anything anyway.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can set it so that everything requires your approval before appearing on your timeline.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    You can set it so that everything requires your approval before appearing on your timeline.
    Doesn't work, as it still appears in the timelines of people you're mutual friends with regardless of what you've done to stop it.

You can remove the tags afterwards and stop it ever showing in your own timeline, but potentially the damage is already done by then.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah right. Fair enough, I don't use Facebook, just know other people who have it set up this way.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Ah right. Fair enough, I don't use Facebook, just know other people who have it set up this way.
    Yeah, if they've done that thinking they're in the clear from any shenanigans as a result they could end up being sadly mistaken.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point. Twitter has no downsides though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 2am and there's a fucking bird giving it large on the roof of my building. What the actual fuck!

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dog just came and sat in his bed looking at me until I left the kitchen and let him get to sleep. The little prick.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    An email address is different in that it doesn't require any real upkeep and isn't presenting a particular view of you to the world, unless your address is about a footballer being God or something, but there is a generational line in the sand for that stuff. Ask a seventy year old and you wouldn't be surprised to hear they didn't know what an email was, ask a seventeen year old and you would be surprised to find out most people hadn't seen their arse on Snapchat at some point in the last fortnight.

I've got a serious one too. Also, that one's probably dead now. I haven't logged into it in years. I forgot the login details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The dog just came and sat in his bed looking at me until I left the kitchen and let him get to sleep. The little prick.
    Why couldn't he just sleep when you were there?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wanted the light off so he could go to bed properly.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fucking dog. Stop pampering him.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a sitcom in this, cracking stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fucking dog. Stop pampering him.
    Dogs do have the habit of waiting 'til everyone goes to bed before they do so.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've missed a trick here Lewis, he could have been a celebrity.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...-and-counting/

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mother-in-law has just described on Facebook their night away tonight as 'a cheeky wee' one.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest, the main pleasure I get out of Facebook these days is from randomly catching posts off Magic's wife and in-laws.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at Magic's Facebook photo being all the family but his wife's just being the kid.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even have you on Facebook you creepy cunt.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I add you, @Magic?