50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might of forgotten to heal before the Gym

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone willing to loan me a copy of HG or SS? Will return in the post and transfer a tenner as soon as I've finished.

It's selling for 70 quid now so I've got no hope.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck it, gone for Alpha Sapphire instead. Only 23 quid.
    http://www.base.com/buy/product/pok-...1d11579e9b243f

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hardly getting any time to play Yellow, since i mainly play at work, and it's been busy as fuck lately. Beaten Koga & Sabrina but I've just been bumming around in the Safari Zone the last few times I've picked it up, so I've not really made much progress beyond that. Team is still the same six (Pikachu, Mew, Nidoking, Butterfree, Parasect & Primeape), but I'm still open on replacing the mons in the last two, possibly even three, of those spots if I can find anything good. Hitmonchan over Primeape is an option just for the elemental punches, but I'm not really sure either way at the minute.

Thinking of starting a Blaze Black game at home though. Anyone played it? I'm sure somebody did it on the old board, but I can't remember who. For that matter, has anyone played any other ROM's that are worth looking at? Stuff like Flora Sky & Light Platinum are meant to be right up there, but there are probably loads of others worth playing too.

---

Alpha Sapphire is probably going to be a fuckload more enjoyable than HG/SS anyway Sama.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not get Hitmonchan whatever you do. He's royally shit in Gen 1.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything's royally shit in Gen 1 though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea but Hitmonchan has no Special and all the elemental punches are special.... so.... yea.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched a guy on a train take on the Elite 4 on Emerald yesterday. He failed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jirachi is live now.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I started my third nuzlocke SoulSilver run a few days ago at night and caught three Hoothoot's in a row I might of fucked up the ID lottery thing by picking Cyndiquil as my starter (because my ID number ended in a 9 so I should of chose Totodile ) but whatever. Got a Geodude at the Dark Cave which helped massively against Faulkner and a Gastly at the Sprout Tower. Went to route 32 after defeating the gym only to hit the first patch of grass to catch a Ekans which I'm not sure if that's a good Pokemon to keep in the long term . Togepi should be on it's way too so I got a hell of lot of training to do by the time I reach Azalea Town.

No dupes clause used at all in case anyone's wondering. I got rid of the level's restrictions by the way

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geodude will get you through the next two gyms and Togepi will do a great job on the fourth. A nice water type and a Magnemite will see you the rest of the way. Now watch as the RNGods give you a Goldeen and Farfetch'd.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost a lv7 Evans to a lv6 Pidgey in a trainer battle thinking poisoning the cunt would work. It didn't

Cue me catching a Zubat in the Union Cave

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with it long enough and you'll have a very solid 'mon.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of want to play a Pokemon with Gold/Silver-level tech, but with an entirely new set of 251 Pokemon to discover and learn about along the way. Maybe even a couple of new types to figure out.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoopa is now live alongside Jirachi. Get it while you can.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started a new Y Nuzlocke after giving up on it many times due to getting bored after about 2 gyms. I'm determined to see it through this time. I failed the first one quickly when the first Gym Leader beat my Pidgey (I got her to 1HP so figured Quick Attack would do it... but she healed and I died to infestation) and left me with just Burmy who only knew Protect..... fun.

2nd time I've got past her after realizing that Pidgey is a guaranteed encounter so I ignored it. I ended up with that Caterpie rip off, whatever it's called instead and picked up Fletchling on the next route. They were joined by Bunnelby and Farfetched (won't use him) before the gym and Combee (again won't use) after it in the team, but so far only Fletchling seems to be up to much. He smashed the gym where Pidgey failed despite being the same level.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm breezing through the early stages of Omega Ruby with the shittest team imaginable. Combusken is ok but Wingull, Dustox, Minun, Cosplay Pikachu and a shiny Zigzagoon I bumped into, don't fill me with much confidence.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of new games I've been tempted to start Y again myself, but instead I've just started playing Blaze Black.

Picked Oshawott, since Shell Smash Samurott sounds amazing, and, despite only just hitting the first main city, I've already been beaten twice by Cheren's fucking Snivy. The first time it crit me twice in a row, and the second I forgot it already had Contrary, growled it & then watched it sweep my entire team

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just trolled the fuck out of the Double Furfrou fight, which I've always struggled with for some reason. I took just Farfetched (fodder) and my newly captured Honedge. Farfetched predictably died in one shot, but they couldn't hit Honedge. The fight took forever as they quickly lowered my attack to zero, but once one of them died I was able to resurrect my attack using Swords Dance and eventually kill the other one. Honedge.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to a Gym with elevators, got to the final guy, smashed his first pokemon and then he has an Excadrill which one hits every single pokemon I have with any skill he uses.

I stopped playing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bagged a Hawlucha who surely has to come into my team, but I can't decide who to drop. Currently have Steelix, Meditite, Fletchinder, Roselia, Honedge and Vivillon at all roughly the same level. A lot of repeated types, but that can't be helped so far. Meditite at this point is basically a Psychic type instead of a Fighter, and that coupled with the fact he can Mega-Evolve is making me tempted to keep him, despite him being the obvious candidate to drop. I don't like Steelix so far and with Honedge being there I'm tempted to boot him, but heading to a Rock Gym with 3 fliers is a no go. Fletchinder desperately needs some new moves, Peck and Ember aren't rally cutting it. The only 2 who are definitely safe are Roselia and Vivillon, both are dons.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice team. Steelix and Honedge should do the job against the Rock gym, after which Steelix can do one. Quite likely Vivillon will then make way for a Water type. The rest are great.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meditite died due to me getting careless when trying to grind it's level up. It's a bit annoying but his frustratingly shit move set means I won't miss him too much.

Gym 2 was a piece of piss only made slightly harder by the T-Rex guy getting 3 flinches in a row with Bite.... but a Super Potion healed that easily and it died to 2 Bulldozes after the Ice guy had died to 1. Team at this stage:

Steelix- Level 26 (Smack Down, Bulldoze, Dragon Breath, Gyro Ball)
    Roselia- Level 25 (Growth, Venoshock, Giga Drain, Magical Leaf)
    Vivillon- Level 25 (Struggle Bug, Psybeam, Draining Kiss, Stun Spore)
    Honedge- Level 25 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw)
    Fletchinder- Level 24 (Peck, Ember, Quick Attack, Agility)
    Hawlucha- Level 22 (Wing Attack, Roost, Aerial Ace, Encore)

The last 2 are frustrating because of their poor move sets. Hawlucha seemingly forgot Karate Chop before I caught him. It seems obvious though that both will improve. I don't get Gyro Ball. Steelix is slow as fuck yet it always does fuck all damage. Granted Rock Types are slow too but it's Super Effective so you'd expect something.... but no.

Vivillon learning Draining Kiss makes him very interesting considering the amount of Dark types I come across.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to get one of the newer generations, I've not actually physically owned a Pokémon game since Ruby way back on my old GBA, neither have I owned a console since then, however.

Are a 2DS and a 3DS the same thing? Would these be the likely format for the Sun/Moon that is scheduled for release? I've got a limited budget, which is the recommended game to buy, I was thinking Omega Ruby for nostalgia, is it good?
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I didn't like Omega Ruby as it felt way way too easy. I would recommend X or Y over it.

Yea a 3DS and 2DS are the same and Sun/Moon will be on both.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Personally I didn't like Omega Ruby as it felt way way too easy. I would recommend X or Y over it.

Yea a 3DS and 2DS are the same and Sun/Moon will be on both.
    Which is recommended? 3D only has a 3D upgrade yes?

I can't remember how easy/hard it was truth be told, was fun though.
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly sure the remake is easier than the original, at least until the "post game".

The "New 3DS" has more processing power so it runs faster and there's a handful of exclusive games that won't play on 3DS or 2DS but these are mainly upcoming downloadable titles. The 2DS and 3DS are the same except for 3D and the 3DS folds up making it easier to carry around.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A stupid mistake in a 2 on 2 battle cost me Vivillon, my favorite mon. I was sure I could OHKO both Combee and Vespiquen so attacked them both. In hindsight Combee is so shit I should have attacked Vespiquen twice... but I didn't fucking expect it to have a rock move.

He was briefly replaced by Solosis, but he was underlevelled and died straight away when we ran into an Absol who used Pursuit.

Guess we carry on with 5 for now.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pleb's SoulSilver Three Hoothoot's Nuzlocke Squad

Slowpoke lv15
    Quilava lv15
    Hoothoot () lv10
    Togepi lv14
    Rattata lv11
    Hoppip lv12

So I'm about to face Bugsy after clearing the gym full of trainers and I think I'm fucked The nuzlocke gods gave me a fucking Rattata and a Hoppip in Union Cave and Route 33

More training might be needed I feel...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slowpoke.

Omega Ruby's team has picked up. Blaziken, Pelipper and Linoone are now joined by Azumarill, Sandslash and Lileep. Enjoyed fighting Norman's Slakings using Pelipper who conveniently learned Protect a level or two ago.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roselia is gone in the dumbest of ways. A fucking Absol and I got careless knowing I was faster and could kill it..... Critical Quick Attack. Fuck sake.

Team is horribly one dimensional now. Just nothing to get excited about in it really. 2 steel types, one of which I never wanted.... fun. At least Hawlucha is cool.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your team is becoming a bit too physical. Need to get yourself a Water type.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but I've not found anything yet, except a hoard of Wingull at Level 12 just now. I like Wingull but I don't want another bird or something 20 levels behind my team. Seemingly I get the Good Rod in the next town so hopefully that'll help.

I decided to let Hawlucha solo the Fighting Gym. Honedge probably could have done it too but all I needed was one Pokemon that could "identify" him and he'd be in trouble. The smaller trainers were no issue. I panicked a little when her Machoke used Rock Tomb while I was up in the air thanks to Bounce and then I came down and missed. Thankfully he used Leer on the turn when he could hit me and Bounce took him out 2 turns later. I couldn't risk Bounce missing again against Hawlucha in case it Aerial Aced me.... so I went for Aerial Ace of my own, was faster, and she wasted her turn using Hone Claws to die to another Ace. Easy.

Hawlucha- Level 33 (Bounce, Aerial Ace, Flying Press, Roost)
    Sttelix- Level 33 (Smack Down, Dig, Slam, Gyro Ball)
    Fletchinder- Level 31 (Peck, Ember, Razor Wind, Roost)
    Honedge- Level 31 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, Shadow Claw)

As you say, way, way too physical.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, P_3 has got his wish, even if I didn't get mine.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how long it's been since I owned a handheld pokemon game, but is it still generally one save per copy, or can I now save multiple run throughs?
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One per copy. It's slightly less annoying now thanks to Poke Bank, which is essentially an online "cloud" where you can move all your pokemon into it and then start over and get them again, or move them to another game etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One per copy. It's slightly less annoying now thanks to Poke Bank, which is essentially an online "cloud" where you can move all your pokemon into it and then start over and get them again, or move them to another game etc.
    Is that a free service or something I need to pay for?
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's £5 per year.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4th Gym down. Was tougher than I anticipated once I found out it was Grass type (I genuinely don't remember the gyms.) I figured despite the fact he's been shit so far due to poor moves, Fletchinder would eat them for breakfast especially with his 4 x resistance to grass. I gave him the Lucky Egg and let him go to work. It worked out fine until he came up against Gogoat and his Take Down which was doing way too much damage. He didn't die though and in went Honedge who wouldn't be hit by Take Down. Gogoat resorted to Grass Knot which wasn't doing anything so I took the chance to max out his attack with Swords Dance and then Aerial Aced his way to victory.

Talonflame- Level 37 (Peck, Ember, Razor Wind, Roost)- These seriously need to improve.
    Hawlucha- Level 36 (Bounce, Roost, Power-Up Punch, Flying Press)- Got rid of Aerial Ace as he didn't need 3 flying moves. Not convinced by Power Up Punch but it'll do for now.
    Steelix- Level 35 (Rock Slide, Dig, Slam, Gyro Ball)- Pretty nice moves but would prefer Iron Tail or something over that shitty Ball move.
    Tentacruel- Level 34 (Toxic Spikes, Surf, Wrap, Venoshock)- 2 nice moves and 2 that are a bit of a waste of time. Not bad for the newcomer though.
    Honedge- Level 34 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, Shadow Claw).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These games are so broken. As much as it's not an issue, the amount of flinching you get on moves like Bite and Paralysis on moves like Body Slam feels completely broken. It almost always happens.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear by Power-Up-Punch. Anyone who can use it, I teach it to.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was interesting. My cartridge froze soon after I beat Bugsy so I had to redo it again a few times

Hopefully I won't do that again. It was close though as Scyther is a massive cunt. Geodude (yes I forgot I had a Geodude in my PC box so I used him ) nearly one shot it with Rock Throw. I was hoping it would use U-Turn on me but it used Focus Energy twice instead which was a bit weird. My rival and Whitney is next so hopefully no more scares please. This is my updated squad...:

Geodude (lv16) Tackle, Magnitude, Rock Throw, Rock Polish
    Slowpoke (lv15) Curse, Yawn, Confusion, Water Gun
    Togepi (lv14) Sweet Kiss, Charm, Extrasensory, Metronome
    Quilava (lv15) Tackle, Leer, Quick Attack. Ember
    Hoppip (lv12) Tackle, PoisonPowder, Bullet Seed, Tail Whip

Looks pretty solid.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grinding is so long in certain places, it almost makes me wish I didn't hate the new EXP share system so bad. But I refuse to use it in this or any other game. That combined with not allowing myself any starters/gifts/guaranteed encounters has made this all the more challenging.

Here comes Gym 5... whatever it is.

Well that was a piece of piss. Just gave Steelix the Lucky Egg and let him run riot. Really, I had very little choice. 3 of my other mons are weak to Electric and I don't really trust Doublade all that much still. There was a heart in the mouth moment when Heliolisk hit a super effective GRASS KNOT but we took it on the chin.

Steelix- Level 46 (Stone Edge, Dig, Crunch, Iron Tail) - What a boss.
    Talonflame- Level 39 (Fly, Flame Charge, Razor Wind, Roost)- Why did I only notice I had Fly after the Grass gym?
    Hawlucha- Level 39 (Bounce, Roost, Power-Up Punch, Flying Press)
    Tentacruel- Level 39 (Toxic Spikes, Surf, Poison Jab, Venoshock)- Needs more variety.
    Doublade- Level 39 (Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Shadow Claw).

Gym 6 fell with pretty much that same team being the case, except Tentacruel reached Level 42 and Steelix may have gained one level. I tried to let Tentacruel do it all so we wouldn't rely on Steelix too heavily (Doublade still has no Steel moves...) but her team put a spanner in the works. First Mawhile which wasn't a threat but I didn't feel like giving it 3 turns to attack me in order to set up Toxic Spikes which I had done against the other trainers (I assumed it would be 3 turns as 1 to put the Spikes down and then 2 to kill it as I doubted I could one shot it with surf). Instead I killed it with Surf in 2 turns but she then bought out Mr Mime which forced me to switch to Steelix. Doublade probably could have taken it with Shadow Claw but I wasn't risking it. Mr Mime was sent packing and I just left Steelix in to deal with Sylveon too. Piece of piss for this team, but I need to do some grinding before I progress as some of the Mons are too low levels. I'd like to get them all to around level 43 (same as Tentacruel) before we continue.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst grinding I was looking up some other Y Nuzlocke's on Youtube just out of interest to see how they compared to mine. Was never going to watch beyond where I'm up to. One I found (that was recommended somewhere) has been a decent watch. He's struggled with double battles like me and in fact the Machoke/Mr Mime double battle killed his entire team except his Charmeleon. He's clinging on thanks to Charizard (which is why I refuse to use starters, they are too good) but I doubt he makes it.

I then started watching another (I'm just skimming through them to the bits I want to see, while grinding my team) but seriously question the point of what he's doing. Allowed yourself the starter is one thing... but allowing yourself BOTH starters plus an event Torchic, the EXP share, and perhaps worst of all, the fucking shift battle style? Way to kill any challenge whatsoever.

Edit- Just had 4 turns in a row of "Miltank used Milk Drink... it's health is already full. Doublade is paralyzed and couldn't move". Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXP share system? That sounds pretty nifty for levelling up multiple mons? Is it in the game from the off I assume or? Would it be present in Omega Ruby (I am leaning towards this as I fancy some nostalgia, and it seems to have a decent 'post game'?)

Always remember the hours I'd spend grinding up in Victory Road on red to get everything ready for Elite Four.
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXP share used to be an item that one Pokemon could hold. You could give it to a weak Pokemon and that Pokemon would get 50% of the experience from the battle while the Pokemon that actually battled would also get 50%. That system worked find and should never have been touched.

But now they've changed it to an item that's either on or off. If it's on then the Pokemon you use gets 50% and ALL YOUR OTHER POKEMON also get 50% (that's 50% EACH, not divided between them). In effect it increases the amount of EXP given drastically, and makes it way, way too easy to keep your Pokemon leveled up. It seriously breaks the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Edit- It's not in the game straight away but you normally obtain it early on. And yea, it is in Omega Ruby.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXP share used to be an item that one Pokemon could hold. You could give it to a weak Pokemon and that Pokemon would get 50% of the experience from the battle while the Pokemon that actually battled would also get 50%. That system worked find and should never have been touched.

But now they've changed it to an item that's either on or off. If it's on then the Pokemon you use gets 50% and ALL YOUR OTHER POKEMON also get 50% (that's 50% EACH, not divided between them). In effect it increases the amount of EXP given drastically, and makes it way, way too easy to keep your Pokemon leveled up. It seriously breaks the game and should be avoided at all costs.

Edit- It's not in the game straight away but you normally obtain it early on. And yea, it is in Omega Ruby.
    I can see the logic for first timers if I am honest. Though I did use to enjoy the old exp share as the switch in/switch out method was a right royal pain in the end, especially when trying to power level stubborn stuff like getting the Eevee evolution that would only evolve in the dark.

Reading through, why is there a lot of dislike towards the Gold/Silver remakes? The original was bloody brilliant.
    Test.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't, that's just nostalgia. TWO REGIONS we all thought. It's only when you go back now you realise how horribly broken it was.

Long story short.... Johto is fine but easy. The Elite 4 can be beaten with like Level 40s, which isn't really right, but it's fine.... ish.

Kanto though is a fucking wreck. Varidian forest.... gone. Mount Moon.... gone. Power Plant.... gone. It's a shell of what it was. Plus you rock up there with your level 40-50 Pokemon and everything you find in the wild is around Level 10, meaning it's never going to be part of your team, ever, and the Gym Leaders are all roughly the same level as each other, so you don't need to train at all to beat the lot of them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't, that's just nostalgia. TWO REGIONS we all thought. It's only when you go back now you realise how horribly broken it was.

Long story short.... Johto is fine but easy. The Elite 4 can be beaten with like Level 40s, which isn't really right, but it's fine.... ish.

Kanto though is a fucking wreck. Varidian forest.... gone. Mount Moon.... gone. Power Plant.... gone. It's a shell of what it was. Plus you rock up there with your level 40-50 Pokemon and everything you find in the wild is around Level 10, meaning it's never going to be part of your team, ever, and the Gym Leaders are all roughly the same level as each other, so you don't need to train at all to beat the lot of them.
    True true, could well be rose tinted glasses, that and because you thought the game was over, but, it wasn't. My twelve year old self was so hyped after beating Elite Four finding that I could go all the way back to Kanto and do another bit of the game, one would guess that it was the cartridge size limitations that meant those places were left out.
    Test.