User Tag List

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pokemon Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure I'm fucked. I'm at the E4 and all I've got is @Pen the Hitmonchan and @Pleb the Golduck, with GS and @Toby the Koffing in the box. Unless I train them both to level 70 or something (both are Lv54) and spend a fortune on Full Restores, I stand no chance. I have the blood of 16 TTH members on my cold, useless hands.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this Nuzlocke then?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I'm pretty sure I've had no trouble Nuzlocking Fire Red before, but this time has been an utter massacre mainly due to my carelessness. I'll give you an example, at the end of Victory Road is a double battle against two trainers with Nidoking/queen. I had @Samadini the Kadabra and Pleb facing off against them. "Pfft" I think, "Surf should suffice, so I'll use Thief with Samadini for a laugh" forgetting that the power of Surf is cut in half. Nidoqueen goes down to a lucky critical hit whilst Nidoking survives and gets hit by Thief. The fucker survives that and stabs his giant, erect Megahorn in Samadini's face and kills the poor bugger. I had Psychic available for fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They won't need to be anything like Level 70 though, unless the levels have improved since Red. Red's Elite 4 ranged from 55-65 and due to the AI being shit you could probably get through it with the Pokemon you have. It would be hard buy doable.

When my brother beat it he ended up with a Level 45 Gyarados and a Level 56 Dragonite as his only survivors. Given they levelled up during the battles, they'd have been lower when he started.

As for myself... I'm currently grinding my team. Aiming to get everyone to level 50 except Hitmonlee at 45. Not sure I could suffer much more grinding that that.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in the after school club at work where the older kids where moaning about the toys we have so I suggested 3DS's. Monday I got to set up 8 New 3DS XL's and open a load of games. The best part is I agreed to sort out what we got on the agreement that in the next school holidays I can take a 3DS and charger home to play on. This meant I ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby

How is that one?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't like it, but many others did. I found it piss easy, but that could be because I've played the originals a million times. If you haven't played the originals on the GBA then it should be very enjoyable.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My team is set now.

Gyarados
    Magneton
    Exeggcute
    Onix
    Mew

Just waiting to catch a Shellder, but I've got the super rod now, so should be caught in no time.

Mew is a cunt and I'd rather have Charizard in place of him but I forgot about the HM cuntery and Mew being able to learn all of them is pretty fucking handy. I don't battle with him now, he just sits at the bottom of my deck cutting trees down for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golduck

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beat it easily. Didn't quite grind as high as I wanted as Pidgeot was way too hard to train against all the Rock types in Victory road, so I entered with:
    Gengar -54 (uses my rare candies at the last minute).
    Cloyster- 50
    Nidoking- 50
    Pidgeot- 47
    Hitmonlee- 45

Hitmonlee started off smashing Lorelei but was useless when Slowbro came in so Genger was sent out to cover that and Gengar then smashed Bruno. Nidoking made light work of Agatha and Cloyster smashed Lance. Cloyster also got a massive stroke of luck freezing Alakazam to take him out and after that it was plain sailing as we swapped to Gengar who cleaned house.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having done that I'm moving on to Yellow. I'm going to try and Nuzlocke without using anything that featured in by Red Nuzlocke, so that rules out:

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot
    Rattata/Raticate
    Oddish/Gloom
    Drowzee
    Diglett
    Gastly/Gengar (technically I never used Haunter, but due to his similarities to Gengar, even if I was lucky enough to find one first in Lavender I likely wouldn't bother).
    Hitmonlee
    Shellder/Cloyster
    Nidorino/Nidoking (Never have Nidoran... but again won't be using it due to not being able to evolve).

Can't think of anyone else... but if I do I'll avoid those too. I technically did use a few other mons such as Weedle/Mankey/Snorlax but due to binning them off after 1-2 fights I'll keep them open as options as they won't make the game boring.

Should be fun.....

Obviously as I'm not using Pikachu or the 3 starters, I may need to catch something other than the first thing found if I don't have my first mon by Varidian Forest (due to keep finding Pidgey/Rattata) but we'll see.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having binned Pleb and Pen's magnificent adventure of not beating the Elite 4, I made a quick restart yesterday. Started with a Charmander. Caught and PCed the likes of Weedle and Rattata, I bagged a Nidoran Male before Mt. Moon. Oddish joined us for the Misty fight and a few hours later Vaporeon burst on to the scene. Best catch of the day proved to be Electabuzz who has now electrocuted the entirety of the routes near Cinnabar Island. Before starting Silph Co. the team looks like this:

Electabuzz - Lv50 - Thunderbolt, Psychic, Swift, Light Screen
    Charizard - Lv44 - Flamethrower, Fly, Metal Claw, Strength
    Nidoking - Lv43 - Dig, Thrash, Megahorn, Double Kick
    Vileplume - Lv42 - Absorb, Acid, Sleep Powder, Moonlight
    Vaporeon - Lv40 - Surf, Aurora Beam, Bite, Quick Attack

Piece of cake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to my restrictions I'll be taking on Brock with just a Spearow..... this could be over soon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what point do the starters appear? I have no knowledge of Yellow apart from the fact you start with a Pikachu. What about 'mon like Oddish and Bellsprout, can you catch both? But yeah, with your restrictions you are not going to beat Brock with a Spearow.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did beat him but it took fucking ages. I Growled his Geodude until it couldn't really do much (seemingly it didn't have Defense Curl) and then just Pecked it to death. Onix was a little tougher as after I growled his Attack to the bottom he started using Screech, but thanks to the free Leers I got in every time he used Bide I was able to kill it. It cost me 2 potions but it wasn't too rough.

A much tougher battle was when I accidentally walked into a trainer when Spearow was only Level 3 who had a Level 6 Nidoran female and a level 6 Nidoran Male. I had to use 3 potions there (all I had) but I somehow got through it.

Route 3 only yielded a 2nd Spearow (I passed on it) and Mt Moon has given me a Geodude which is nice, but doesn't overly make getting through Mt Moon any easier.

I won't be using the starters but you get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City (before Misty), Charmander after Nugget Bridge (also before Misty if you like) and Squirtle in Vermillion city.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is taking the piss. Every single route yields Pidgey or fucking Rattata.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why have I been tagged in the Pokemon thread? Is P_3 trying to get some forum thing going on? I never liked Pokemon as they came out after I was a kid (well young enough to enjoy the,).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just nicknaming his various Pokemon after TTH members. No idea why he felt the need to tag them though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realised you can skip Misty but only if you go and see Bill... so I used Fearow the whole way up that route just in case it didn't let me skip her. It did so I went on in search of a 3rd mon but every route threw up Pidgey/Rattata except 1 which gave Oddish... so nothing I could use. Even the route after Vermillion yielded nothing, though with Drowzee also out I expected that. Instead I just went back and took on Misty with only Fearow but it was a piece of piss as he was 10 levels higher than Staryu and 7 above Starmie. With Misty swept aside I finally added a 3rd mon.... Magikarp out of desperation and then set about training him and Geodude on the SS Anne. After the rival battle which Geodude solo'ed he became Graveller so I turned him into Golem instantly and Golem battered Surge, leaving me with:

Fearow- 28
    Golem- 26
    Magikarp- 13

It could be worse, I guess. Not much.... but it could.

The trainer before Surge was a particularly brilliant battle. I switched from Karp to Golem and got hit be Sonic Boom and then Screech from his Voltorb before I dug under ground. He then used Self Destruct to kill himself and miss and his Magnemite came out to die instantly.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    They won't need to be anything like Level 70 though, unless the levels have improved since Red. Red's Elite 4 ranged from 55-65 and due to the AI being shit you could probably get through it with the Pokemon you have. It would be hard buy doable.

When my brother beat it he ended up with a Level 45 Gyarados and a Level 56 Dragonite as his only survivors. Given they levelled up during the battles, they'd have been lower when he started.
    Fuck. Thought it would be a piece of cake with a team of Lv55 'mon. From the get go, Electabuzz couldn't OHKO anything but Cloyster against Lorelei. Machamp gave me so much trouble and caused me to sacrifice a Lv42 Vileplume to heal my team back to health. Got through Agatha without too much worry, but it all came undone against Lance. His Dragonite just OHKO'd my Vaporeon without a hitch. We regrouped and ground it down but the damage was done. Gary's Pidgeot was OK for Electabuzz but Rhydon was the killer. A choice of Charizard or Nidoking had me praying the Rock twat would try to set up or something, leaving me to get him with Nidoking's Surf, but no. The cunt used Earthquake and the rest is as they say is history.

FAILURE.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you lose a Nuzlocke with Charizard.

That team looked immense on paper and I figured you'd have no problems. I certainly didn't but then I did design my team with 1 Elite 4 member in mind for each Pokemon (Hitmonlee, Gengar, Nidoking and Cloyster in that order) so....

What will you do now?

I've finally got myself a Gyarados and have added Nidoran Female but can't really be bothered with her as it's way too similar to Nidoran male. I'll let Gyarados rape the Rock Tunnel and then see what else I can add to the team. If it's nothing then I'll have to start using her.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to move on to HG but I can't have the shadow of a failed Nuzlocke hanging over me. Might just have to go through it yet again, for the third time in just over a week. Try it with a Squirtle this time and make sure my levels are higher than they were this time. Shambles.

You can try and pick up a Dratini at the Game Corner. Or failing that an Abra. With the ability to evolve Kadabra, you will pretty much be good to go.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I'm torn between Abra and Jolteon but leaning towards Abra.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone for Alakazam. Dratini isn't an option in Yellow and fuck that anyway, he has awful moves and I'm not training it to 55 to make it useful.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Effort 3 didn't even get past Lt. Surge. His Double Team Raichu proved too much for my Diglett.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been slowly working my way through Yellow & I'm currently going through Silph Co. with a team of:

Pikachu, lv32 - Thunderbolt, Slam, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave
    Butterfree, lv31 - Sleep Powder, Gust, Mega Drain, Psychic
    Mew, lv31 - Fly, Mega Punch, Bubblebeam, Metronome
    Nidoking, lv31 - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thrash, Double-Kick
    Primeape, lv28 - Low Kick, Rage, Karate Chop, Rock Slide
    Parasect, lv27 - Stun Spore, Cut, Scratch, Leech Life

---

Fairly okay team, and I've never used Parasect or Primate so they're interesting additions, but I forgot how shitty the move pools were in gen 1

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parasect is a pain to use. It is just too slow. Not a lot of fun training it when it takes a hit pretty much every time before OHKOing with its own moves. Something which makes using it for Nuzlocke very dangerous. The other 'mon are great. Being good at the slots.

I'm finally hitting some good form on FR. Have managed to put together a team consisting of Charizard, Jolteon, Poliwrath and Hypno. Love how the first three work well to counter the weaknesses of the others. Charizard ignores Jolteon's Ground weakness, Jolteon ignores Poliwrath's and Charizard's Electric weakness and Poliwrath ignores Charizard's Water weakness.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Been slowly working my way through Yellow & I'm currently going through Silph Co. with a team of:

Pikachu, lv32 - Thunderbolt, Slam, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave
    Butterfree, lv31 - Sleep Powder, Gust, Mega Drain, Psychic
    Mew, lv31 - Fly, Mega Punch, Bubblebeam, Metronome
    Nidoking, lv31 - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thrash, Double-Kick
    Primeape, lv28 - Low Kick, Rage, Karate Chop, Rock Slide
    Parasect, lv27 - Stun Spore, Cut, Scratch, Leech Life

---

Fairly okay team, and I've never used Parasect or Primate so they're interesting additions, but I forgot how shitty the move pools were in gen 1
    I reckon Preimeape is a decent mon to have in Gen 1. Hitmonlee is probably the best Fighter but you get him way too late and the period of the game where you get him is ALL Psychic/Poison types making him a pain in the arse to train, but a good fighter is the best bet for Lorelei, who is probably the hardest of the Elite 4. Not least of all because if you use a Fighting type she'll often use her Super Effective moves.... Rest and Agility.

I've never really used Parasect either, but I reckon it'll be good.

Not made much progress on my own Yellow Nuzlocke. I'm currently letting Alakazam ruin the Game corner to catch up in levels.

On a side note me and my brother have agreed to blind Nuzlocke Sun and Moon when they come out and have randomly determined our starters. We both wanted Water but I got Grass and he got Fire. Let's see how that works out. (Obviously, we may have to re-do it if they do something ground breaking and have OTHER OPTIONS). God I hope they do.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've gone and done it. I've beat the Elite 4. But it was tough. Very tough. Like I said before I don't remember it being so difficult. As expected there was a casualty. I lost the Poliwrath in exactly the same place as Vaporeon, against Lance's Dragonite. The fucker survived on 0.5 HP after an Ice Beam and used Wing Attack for a KO. Jolteon finished him off. The fight against Gary was as predicted awful. With no Water types I feared Rhydon would walk all over me like in the previous attempt. Thankfully Hypno pulled off the sweep of a century as he came in to an Earthquake, used Swagger to confuse the rock twat and dodged a Rock Tomb from it before finishing it in style with Psychic. Jolteon and Charizard cleaned up the rest, with Blastoise posing a considerably frustrating risk with its Hydro Pump, to secure a memorable victory. Let that be a lesson for you kids, always carry two Water type Pokemon. Because not carrying two, is too much trouble to be worth it.

HG here I come.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've given Parasect SD, and it learns Spore at 30 (currently 29), so it'll be pretty good to just put stuff to sleep then set up, even if it does only have Cut & Leech Life to deal any damage with.

Quite tempted to give one of the later games another run through now, maybe even FR/LG, depending on how different the movesets are, and whether I can actually find it or not.

---

Well done (at last) P3

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to find my DS's

I have X, Omega Ruby, Soul Silver, Emerald and Leaf Green (somewhere). I'm tempted to do a nuzlocke for Soul Silver.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly done with yellow and wanted to do HG or SS next, having never actually played through them before, but they're 50 fucking quid.

I know I can emulate it, but being able to play on my 2ds is what's made me play through yellow.

Going to save up for the cunt.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Platinum but for the love of god can't find Black 2 and White

Platinum might be a good shout. X could be a good idea considering Sun/Moon is nearly out this year.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I work in the after school club at work where the older kids where moaning about the toys we have so I suggested 3DS's. Monday I got to set up 8 New 3DS XL's and open a load of games. The best part is I agreed to sort out what we got on the agreement that in the next school holidays I can take a 3DS and charger home to play on. This meant I ordered Pokemon Omega Ruby

How is that one?
    Started playing this in work tonight. Getting paid to play games felt good. Took it home for the weekend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you picked Torchic.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaf for life.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up Pokken tournament today. It's pretty cool. A combination of Pokemon and Tekken was something I couldn't pass up.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torchic

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally decided to do a nuzlocke for Soul Silver. Bog standard rules apply but I'm setting a level limit on the gym leader's/Elite Four Champions highest level pokemon where if I go over that level (let's say Lance's Dragonite's level 50) I must kill off the highest level pokemon from my squad.

I'm fucked

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Destroyed the first gym leader.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the second.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fucking love Pikachu Libre in Pokken. He can do a full on Stone Cold Stunner and his finisher is a Shooting Star Press (which he does a sort of YES chant before doing it). I'm sure there are plenty of other moves I've not found yet.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave the 3DS back. Warned the kids in work that if anyone deletes my Pokemon save that they'll be in a world of hurt.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprout Tower

The fucking level 10 Hoothoot wiped out my squad

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sprout Tower really annoyed me the first time I did it in HG/SS due to the fact they split moves into Physical and Special. Back in the day when EVERY grass move was Special you could clear it with a Bellsprout by using Growth a few times and then Vine Whipping them to death. Obviously I wasn't thinking about the changes and tried that again. 3-4 Growths and you still do one damage.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lost 4 pokemons in my second run at Sprout Tower

I've only got a Totodile and a Dunsparce to face Faulkner

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scrap that level rule. It just makes things ridiculously difficult.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was one of those optional ruling that the BulbasaurWiki suggested on their nuzlocke page so I thought it would be so lol to give it a go

I still fucked up though The third attempt will be a bit different though

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure the level rule is that prohibiting as normally I end up facing Gym leaders with lower level pokemon anyway. Totodile should cruise past Faulkner too.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but it was lv10 and at half health. The fucking Piggeotto OHKO me with Gust

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't heal before the Gym?