User Tag List

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pokemon Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm looking to roll with some of the chaps that I'd not normally have bothered with, but that's tricky early doors, so at the moment my squad is Mew, Mankey, Pikachu, Charmander and Butterfree. Want to get myself a Cloyster, he always looks badass but never really bothered with a Shellder.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you get the Mew? Did I not notice there was a code included or something?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can glitch a Mew early game, so I'm guessing that way.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just did the nugget bridge glitch, I couldn't resist. I doubt I'll keep him with me, just wanted him for completions sake.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the original glitches are in the game? Ho-Lee shit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've given Mew bubblebeam and he's now just taking the piss with his speed, so I'm keeping him in the squad.

Fuck it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've just seen how it's done. Guess I'll have to be rolling with a Mew then...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this talk of the first gen has got me wanting to embark on a six gen play through. Going to start with Fire Red though as I find looking at the old Red sprites hurts my eyes. Plus I love my running shoes. I'm going to do a Nuzlocke using evolved Pokemon with the lowest base stats and you've guessed it I'm going to be giving them all TTH names ala Ian and his XCom 2 playthrough. First 'mon is Vim the Lonely Bulbasaur who will end up a Venusaur.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After going so long with just Pidgeotto, Gloom and mostly Raticate, I've finally got some new team members who have proven capable of sticking around. It's become a bit of a solo run of late though....

Gengar- Level 44- Psychic, Hypnosis, Dream Eater, Thunderbolt
    Gloom- Level 35- Mega Drain, Cut, Acid, Sleep Powder
    Raticate- Level 34- Dig, Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Water Gun
    Nidoking- Level 33- Horn Attack, Poison Sting, Surf, Body Slam
    Pidgeotto- Level 31- Wing Attack, Fly, Quick Attack, Sand Attack
    Shellder- Level 30- Surf, Supersonic, Clamp, Aurora Beam

Need to make some decisions as to whether some of them are worth using going forward. Nidoking's moves are a bit shit but I've just caught him and not even used him yet. I can get him Earthquake soon to make him the 2nd most useful mon behind Gengar. I guess I need to start considering the Elite 4 Types and make decisions based on that. Shellder is also a new catch but he should be a solid mon once he learns Ice Beam and evolves.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As expected @Vim made mincemeat of Brock and his rocks. Joining him for the ride are @Baz the relaxed Rattata and @Smiffy the timid Caterpie who is now a Metapod.

EDIT: Approaching Cerulean we have picked up @Foe the bold Spearow, @Giggles the serious Geodude and @GS the mild Ekans. It is quite likely that the next capture will see Vim relegated to the bench, leaving me with a bunch of underleveled weaklings.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    After going so long with just Pidgeotto, Gloom and mostly Raticate, I've finally got some new team members who have proven capable of sticking around. It's become a bit of a solo run of late though....

Need to make some decisions as to whether some of them are worth using going forward. Nidoking's moves are a bit shit but I've just caught him and not even used him yet. I can get him Earthquake soon to make him the 2nd most useful mon behind Gengar. I guess I need to start considering the Elite 4 Types and make decisions based on that. Shellder is also a new catch but he should be a solid mon once he learns Ice Beam and evolves.
    I'm all for Nidoking - EQ will be super handy, then chuck in Ice Beam for Lance & any two from T-bolt, Surf, Fire Blast or Rock Slide depending on what coverage you're missing, so in your case probably Fire Blast & Rock Slide. That plus a Gengar with Shadow Ball & Psychic should see you through most of the Elite Four pretty easily.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has happened here with the mention?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P-3 has named a Pokemon after you... That's all.

Shellder levels up so god damn slowly.

And shadow ball? Dream on, Dan.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fame at last

Carry on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You named your starter after me?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope I get a mention

Bet you I will be a Shorlax

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Shadow Ball not exist in Gen 1? WHAT THE FUCK IS ITS STAB?!

First gen was really fucking terrible for good moves. I ditched plans for about five different mons to target after realising half the moves I'd been intending for them to use didn't exist.

---

Oh, and Celebi is being given away on X,Y & ORAS via Wireless Mystery Gift from today. Just about to pick mine up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea no Shadow Ball.... but you know what's worse. Thanks to some glitch, Ghost moves DO NOT EFFECT Psychic Type Pokemon whatsoever when they were meant to be Super Effective. Couple that with the only 3 Ghost types being part poison (weak to Psychic) and it's literally the worst type in the game. Thankfully Gengar is a fucking don with insane special, but yea....

I didn't believe that Ghost thing so I tried it out using the only Ghost move in the game... lick. It didn't work. I deleted lick.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turned on to get Celebi and was given Gengar, Pumpkaboo and Diancie as well...

That Celebi is fucking shit.

Ended up with 2 x Diancie and 3 x Celebi as well as the other 2.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the team looks properly shit now. Had a bit of a reshuffle, due to the rules, which saw Vim and Foe move to the box. @ItalAussie the careful Oddish joins them, whilst new boys @Mahow the naive Meowth and @Mert the bashful Diglett make up the rest of our team.

Misty's Starmie was taken care of using team work. Smiffy put it to sleep while GS used Bite on it a few times. Misty used a Super Potion and the Starmie finally woke up hitting GS for a ton of damage. With his job done, GS was replaced by Smiffy who proceeded to get peppered by Water Pulse. A few Potions later I had to take a gamble in order to put Starmie to sleep again. Starmie used Swift, Smiffy was left on 1 HP and put the dratted cunt to sleep. In comes Giggles for a Magnitude 8 hit on Starmie to seal the win. Tense shit but we made it.

Giggles - Geodude - Lv 22 - Rock Throw, Magnitude, Tackle, Defense Curl
    Smiffy - Butterfree - Lv21 - Confusion, Tackle, Harden, Sleep Powder
    Mert - Diglett - Lv19 - Magnitude, Dig, Scratch, Growl
    Baz - Rattata - Lv18 - Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Tackle, Tail Whip
    GS - Ekans - Lv18 - Poison Sting, Bite, Wrap, Leer
    Mahow - Meowth - Lv16 - Scratch, Bite, Growl

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's 3 other people I'm Nuzocking with. One has beaten the game already though he leaned hard on the Thunder wave/Wrap combo with a Dragonite. It was still impressive given Lorelei killed 4 of his mons leaving him to beat the other 4 with just Gyarados (who was only level 45 or so) and Dragonite but he pulled it off.

One has barely started. The other has beaten Misty but he caught a Diglett for Surge which died, leaving him with just Pidgeotto. He's so fucked.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't he leave Surge for later? Just head to Dark Tunnel or whatever and pray for a Geodude.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True enough. I won't suggest though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiffy met his demise aboard the S.S. Anne. Gary's Kadabra toyed with him (Kinesis and a lucky confusion status which just wouldn't go away) and finished him with ease. Baz pulled off a revenge kill and stayed in to chomp Gary's Raticate up. Foe has stepped in to fill the void left by Smiffy. RIP in pieces.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Baz murdered that Raticate? Bit of an over reaction. Now he's going to have to make a special trip to Lavender Town.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I think Nintendo are taking the piss with these events. A level 100 Mew that only knows Pound? Fuck off.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing through Black for the first time, I'm just about to complete the second gym.

Any tips? I'm absolutely lost when I can't just get Diglett and Pidgey to carry me to victory.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woobat is a pretty awful Pokemon (think Zubat) and Patrat is kind of this generations Rattata, so it'll blitz the early game but probably not be great longer term. You can probably also do better than Panpour for a water type. I really, really liked Blitzle but if it starts to lag behind in levels I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was really under levelled and then I found a Lucky Egg right outside a flying Gym. He came out as my top level by a mile because he gained like a million EXP there. If memory serves I think he also learns a useful Fire type move, meaning you might not need to bother with a fire type.

That said I don't remember Black/White too much... I really need to replay those. They were awesome.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrat is in for being able to learn Cut. How have they still not fixed HMs counting as moves?

I have a Pidove which I assume is a rip off of Pidgey (Gust best skill evs)

I was given the Panpour for free, haven't run into another water pokemon.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea you always get Panpour (or whatever monkey is weak to your starter) at the beginning of the game to beat the first gym.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post

Pretty much decided none of the 3 who bought me to the dance (Pidgeotto, Gloom and Raitcate) were worth holding on to. I briefly bought Snorlax into the team but he levelled up too slow and I didn't see much point. He may return at some stage but right now we're rolling with:

Gengar- Level 46
    Shellder- Level 43
    Nidoking- Level 39 (Earthquake has replaced Poison Sting).
    Hitmonlee- Level 34 (Double Kick, Meditate, Rolling Kick)

And that's about it. Pidgeotto would have beaten nothing in the E4 except a few fighting types (Gengar will eat them for breakfast) and my rivals Venusaur (same). Raticate was a decent mon but ultimately Snorlax would be more bulky and Nidoking is much stronger. Gloom I'm still considering keeping thanks to his higher level but again I don't see where he helps me. He could take our Rhydon but I'm not afraid of that at all.... and everything else he beats he's also weak too as all the water types are either part Ice or Part Flying.

That said rocking up with just 4 mons doesn't seem sensible but I can't think of anything else that is obtainable that would be worth the EXP.

In terms of "completion" I have 6 badges having beaten Blaine and Koga before Sabrina. That explains Shellder's rapid rise up the ranks. He's really really fucking good to be honest, I'm shocked I've never used one before.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blitzle is an absolute beast. Shockwave and Fire Charge means he owns everything that I don't already. He's now my highest level pokemon. Just got to the 3d city. Crazy how they change up the view style like that.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phonics. As soon as you can, get a Darmantian. Dat attack power.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, found an old copy of Platinum I might dust off for a go. I'll just imagine me constantly punching Barry in the face to get me through the slowness of the early game.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished the Bug gym. Got to the sandstorm part and caught his previous evolution. This game seems a little bit easy outside of a certain part where I had a level 23 pokemon and 5 level 8s.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget this is aimed at children. It isn't meant to be difficult.

Having said that, we've had a bit of a massacre in the last few hours. We've lost Foe and the recently recruited @Yevrah the Mankey and @Browning the Pidgeotto. Both of the new additions made it just two levels before being squished by the horde of trainers we faced between Vermillion and Cerulean. Giggles and Mert are now carrying the team with their Magnitudes whilst ItalAussie has been drafted back in to deal with any Water types. I'm starting to dread using GS and Mahow as they have nothing going for them, but at the same time I keep leaving them in for just one hit longer in the hope that they croak it and I can bring Vim back into the throng.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am deeply concerned about Sabrina's Alakazam, and can't decide the best strategy. The only Pokemon I have that isn't weak to it is Shellder so I could over level him but chances are he could still one shot me. Nidoking would no doubt take him out with 1 Earthquake but i'd need to be faster than him otherwise I'm screwed.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a good idea to bring Pidgeot for her. It should be able to take a hit, retaliate with Fly or something and then Quick Attack if it is still alive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right, I was considering him and Raticate. I've bought him back and am training him in Silph Co to get him to evolve into Pidgeot. I also have all the Sabrina JR trainers too so I should be able to get a decent level by then.... fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how my rat bastard self doesn't get much of a mention, but secretly I sweep in and don proceedings.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you finally started to hit your stride, with your Hyper Fangs ruining things, and had shot up to mighty Lv29. Unfortunately when it came to facing the ghostly Marowak in Pokemon Tower you got annihilated by a critical hit from its Bonemerang. ItalAussie also croaked it against an exploding Koffing in the Rocket Hideout, I was starting to enjoy his/her Absorb against the likes of Geodude and Onix. With those two deaths, the acquisition of Taz the docile Gastly and the Poke Flute in my bag, the team looks like this:

Giggles - Lv33 Graveler - Rollout, Magnitude, Tackle, Defense Curl
    Mert - Lv31 Dugtrio - Magnitude, Dig, Sand Tomb, Fury Swipes
    Mahow - Lv29 Persian - Cut, Bite, Faint Attack, Growl
    Taz - Lv28 Haunter - Shadow Punch, Night Shade, Confuse Ray, Curse
    Vim - Lv24 Ivysaur - Razor Leaf, Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed
    GS - Lv23 Arbok - Poison Sting, Bite, Wrap, Glare

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sabrina was a piece of piss for Dave the Pidgeot, who was my first mon of the Nuzlocke and has never been out of the team (I stopped using him, but never PCed him thanks to Fly). What a heroic return to action.

A Mr Mime got a confusion in on him leaving him on 101/126HP but nothing else touched him. Alakazam outsped him and used Recover... the massive dickhead. Fly then did about 80% of his health and I chanced Quick Attack being strong enough and it was.

Gengar- 47
    Shellder- 44
    Nidoking- 42
    Pidgeot- 41
    Hitmonlee- 34

Wayne the Hitmonlee really is lagging behind but as Dave has proven, all you need is a run in the side.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pidgeot is a very reliable 'mon. You can always trust him to get the job done.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P_3 View Post
    Well the team looks properly shit now. Had a bit of a reshuffle, due to the rules, which saw Vim and Foe move to the box. @ItalAussie the careful Oddish joins them, whilst new boys @Mahow the naive Meowth and @Mert the bashful Diglett make up the rest of our team.
    I always liked Oddish. Fact.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is everything in Nibasa City a giant waste of time? I just spent a load of time battling people on a train to earn a whole 3 battle points.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave the Pidgeot.

Beat Giovanni and entered the Rival battle. All going swimmingly as Shellder made light work of Pidgeot, Rhyhorn and Growlithe with Gengar coming in briefly to get rid of Gyarados in between. Then in comes Alakazam. Level 50 which was 2 above my highest (Gengar) and 7 above Pidgeot. Still, he was my only hope, as discussed against Sabrina. I switched to him and got lucky as Alakazam used Recover..... but he then used Reflect and my Fly did fuck all. I was beginning to worry but the 2nd fly got a critical hit and killed him, and then 2 Flys was also enough to take out Venusaur despite his 10 level advantage. Whatever happens in the Elite 4, Dave is the star of this Nuzlocke.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regirock, Registeel & Regice are available with their hidden abilities (Sturdy, Light Metal & Ice Body respectively) for everyone that uses Pokemon Bank from Friday until October 31st.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they level 100s that only know Tackle?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

They know Splash.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't get the point in the event legendaries they are giving us being level 100, meaning you can't use them in game at all (unless you want to just rape everyone) and on top of that they limit any use in competition (no idea if people actually use the games for that these days... but oh well) by giving them the worst move sets possible. I'd rather have had them at Level 5 than that.