Thread: The Pokemon Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pokemon Thread

Yeah bitches. Can't have a new forum without this bad boy.

So currently Nuzlocking X and I've gotten further than ever have done previously as I'm near the Kalos Power Plant. I fear I may have overleveled a tad but I love the Battle Chateau too much. Team is;

Level 39 Tyrantrum
    Level 38 Chesnaught
    Level 38 Charizard
    Level 35 Malamar
    Level 35 Lucario
    Level 35 Lapras

If I'm missing something, it's that I have no real answer to Fairies and usually need pure bulk to beat them. Fighting types are left to Malamar but it's not ideal because he's only neutral to Fighting attacks and doesn't have brilliant bulk.

Only death being my Florges so far and if I beat this game, next stop is ORAS.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. Lucario should be just fine with his steel type moves.

Really need to get myself back to Kalos for another go.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you guys seen all the stuff about the new Zygarde forms?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks really naff and pointless.

I'm disappointed that there have been no news on the next version of Pokemon. Having been out of the loop for a while, I was sure there'd be something.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't really get it either, although I did hear a good explanation of how it all fits in with the Norse mythology of the X&Y mons (Xerneas & Yveltal, at least).

From a pokemon perspective I have no idea what some of those forms will actually offer, and the more advanced forms both look shit. Ash Greninja looks bollocks as well, but I guess we'll see how the end up whenever the next game comes out.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pokemon Go sounds interesting. Until that or a new game is out though not sure I'll play any.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really need to do something different with the next one to pique my interest. Once I've seen the new pokemon that's the interest over really, it's just a reskinned game.

I just wish there was a more challenging mode - forcing rules onto myself like nuzlockes to make it harder just seems silly.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't really know what else they can do to keep things going once you've done all the story stuff though - Battle Maison is a very good addition as you can always try to beat your record, but unless you want to breed and/or do battles all the time it's difficult to think of what other things they can add that'll keep it interesting after you've beaten the game.

A harder game mode & an option to add rules like nuzlockes & randomisers would definitely add to the longevity of the game though, especially if they could be saved onto different files - possibly make one 'main game' slot, one 'new game +' slot & one 'challenge mode' slot, with only the main game file being usable in competitive & online.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about time a proper Pokemon game came to a real console. I know they tried a couple on the Gamecube but they were shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant understand why they don't release some of the older pokemon games on smart phones they could make a killing with in app purchases buying rare candys or certain pokemon, They would make a fortune just of me, surely they must have looked into it.

I've had a look at that Pokemon Go but I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been meaning to go old school and start a save on Gold/Silver with nothing but Ice Pokémon to see how I'd do (that and they're my second favourite type).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking of giving Heart Gold a bash on my DS emulator. The problem is that it's a bit slow, although I think it might just be my computer struggling to run it through emulation.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the 17th anniversary of Pokémon Red/Blue's release in the US. Brings back memories of when I Blue for my 10th birthday.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started up X again. Got myself a Quiladin, Ivysaur and Whirlipede in what I'm going to coin the "Domino Nuzlocke". The idea is you can only catch a Pokemon which has a type which matches one of the not paired up types on the end Pokemon. In my case I can only catch and add to the team a Fighting or a Bug type. Bit restrictive, but it stops me hoarding pretty much all the Pokes under the sun and struggling to choose a team.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoopa is being released over here. October 23rd to November 5th

Comes with Focus Sash and it's moves are Nasty Plot, Psychic, Astonish and Hyperspace Hole.

Light ball Pikachu is available until 30th October as well.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you get him? Go to GAME?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spare Hoopa code going. First come first serve.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I could probably get one myself, but I never have time to get into town so chances are I'd have forgotten about it otherwise.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go on then.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll PM you later, got to nip out but code is valid until the 5th anyway.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red, Blue and Yellow confirmed for E-Shop in February.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Red, Blue and Yellow confirmed for E-Shop in February.
    Really excited for this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, it's mental. I could easily get them on an emulator and be playing them within about 30 seconds, but there's something about it being on a handheld console, being able to trade with people and not having a speed button that makes me excited for it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I take it the trading will require two people using the same network?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, looks like it'll only be with someone in the same room as you (or whatever) as opposed to world wide. Not 100% sure about that, but seems so. That's how it should be anyway.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 years have passed and I still don't have friends to trade with (who can be in the same room).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started a randomised game on Pokémon Silver.

Swinub (Porc) - Lv 16
    Elekid (Tro) - Lv 15
    Croconaw (Caiman) - Lv 19
    Pidgeotto (Colom) - Lv 18
    Nidorino (Rei) - Lv 18

Gave them Catalan nicknames to be different. Holding out for a Fire type that isn't Vulpix.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nintendo have revealed a new pokemon. Two years after people discovered it in the code of X&Y

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two stall teams faced each other on Showdown. It lasted over a thousand turns, and (apparently) more than seven hours.

Gotta give them both a lot of respect for playing it out, but also question what they're doing with their lives. Watching it now and I've currently just passed turn 100, and everything's still basically at full health. Pretty sure we're going to get 13 Struggle suicides here...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Two stall teams faced each other on Showdown. It lasted over a thousand turns, and (apparently) more than seven hours.

Gotta give them both a lot of respect for playing it out, but also question what they're doing with their lives. Watching it now and I've currently just passed turn 100, and everything's still basically at full health. Pretty sure we're going to get 13 Struggle suicides here...
    I feel like once you're an hour in, you're basically committed until the very end.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things start to faint at about turn 950ish.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700 turns and nothing's dead yet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://kotaku.com/5890728/a-pokemon-...-throwing-shit

The quote is fantastic. Outdone a couple of years later when someone brought in 15 replica weapons.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to turn 509 last night. Will watch the second half of the battle later. It's utterly ridiculous that nothing even struggles to death for 900 turns.

About 2-300 turns in people start joining the battle & slating them both for using stall/stall in general, so I can only imagine how much worse that gets as they reach a thousand turns

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why have you got me watching this? 600 turns of fuck all. This is why I never got into the competitive battling side of the games.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said, I am addicted. I really hope Chef wins, he seems to be the far superior player, for what it is. There really should be some kind of limit on how often you can switch though, because at points this has been ridiculous.

Them starting to argue with each other at like Turn 700 is incredible.

How does his Gliscor use Struggle sometimes and then use other moves? I was sure he used it earlier (like around 630) and he just used it again at 729 or so and then used Substitute and then used Protect....

"Crime" is really pissing me off now, just constantly swapping between Slowbro and Heatran while there's nothing the other guy can do. I really pray he loses.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've just got to turn 641, where the first struggle happens. Glister was taunted, so it was presumably out of EQ's, and since that was its only attacking move it was forced to struggle despite having non-attacking moves left due to the taunt.

It does start to get a bit switch stally around the 600s though.

EDIT: Just getting to the part where they start arguing In fairness, Crime has literally not attacked for thirty turns at this point, which is pretty fucking ridiculous, even in the context of this game.

700 turns before they put on the timer Crime is clearly just stalling with the aim of getting the turn counter as high as possible, rather than actually trying to win. Probably going to win as well, since all the switching has saved loads of PP compared to Chef (great username, by the way)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I could totally see the other guys point. Crime only gets worse and worse as it goes on too. I'm at about 860 now and the last 100 turns or maybe even more have been unbearable.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0-1

Come on Chef, I still believe.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how the game makes everyone so angry that, not only do the two player start arguing, but other people join and argue with each other as well

Bloody hell, they've even got Zarel (the guy who runs Showdown) in there now.

EDIT: 940+ turns and Chansey gets the first kill. Sums the whole thing up.

100 turns until the next thing dies

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really thought I posted my prediction on here before seeing what happened... but guess not. It was spot on though, and really it was obvious for a very, very long time.

Spoilered just in case Dan is still gripped....

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching it. Gonna go get a drink now, I think

Chef probably slept for the entirety of the next day after that.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I watching this?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got back into Showdown recently. Made a load of teams, most of which I haven't actually used yet, but I'm currently having some fun at the bottom of the ladder with sub-punch Breloom.

Skilful dodging
    Press F to pay respects

Literally the only two times I've got it to work

EDIT: A half health Breloom 1v1'd a Talonflame

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That exchange at the end of the last match.

Only 22 turns though so a pretty poor effort. Needed at least 1000 more.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, him calling me a cunt then immediately apologising? I was pretty happy with the way I played in that game though.

I've pretty much scrapped that team for now, having got rid of Breloom (the entire reason for making the team in the first place), and failed to find anything else good to replace it. Not sure which team to try next though - a team based around wallbreaker Darmanitan (adamant band) is the next most gimmicky, otherwise they're all fairly standard, but probably shit. Otherwise i have a UU team based around Specs, Flash Fire Arcanine in the Sun, which will blatantly work even less than sub-punch Breloom did.

I do have one team that might be solid, but I don't want to use that one in case it turns out to actually be terrible.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question I'm going to stick in here because I assume most of you are DS users...

I've taken the plunge and gotten myself a "New 3DS XL". The old one I've had since launch and I felt like a change, especially with so many DS games I want coming out. It comes with a pathetic 4GB of storage so I've gone and bought myself a 32GB Micro SD card which I'll need to install once it arrives. But.... what then?

Some of the guides I'm looking at for transferring data suggest that the "Data Transfer" option won't carry over Save Files, but I think those guides are outdated. Most of the new ones say it will, and everything will come over and be fine. If that's the case then great. I'd rather wait 4 hours for a transfer than fuck about with PC files and potentially lose some of my games. But the other issue is I have 2 SD cards for my 3DS that I alternate between because I filled one up. I'm assuming the best approach will be to Data Transfer the full one (which I think is only 4GB anyway) and then use a PC to transfer the files from the 2nd one onto the new one as well? Is there any flaw to that? Any better ideas?

As a last resort I could just use the old DS whenever I want to play one of the 2-3 games that I used the other SD card for.... but that would be a bit annoying.

Are Pokemon games stored to the card, or the DS? Really and truly those are the only games I'd be upset about losing the data for, off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it all working, but now I'm horribly addicted to Pokemon Picross. Fuck sake.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid Pokemon Picross like the plague. While it's fun and addictive, it's got to be the worst example (by which I mean, most annoying) of a "free to play, pay to win" game ever made.