Page 24 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 5211

Thread: The World of Rugby Thread

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Come on now. He must be well down the list of potential Queensland custodians. As for Scotland, it isn't a bad squad. It's less Scottish than me. But still.
    He's not a Queenslander. Very different bar.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just meant club level.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I just corrected myself. Let's see: James Tedesco, Matt Moylan, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Brett Morris, Jack Wighton, Tom Trbojevic, Will Hopoate (no Sunday matches), Bevan French... Tenth choice.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    It's hard to tell what's wrong with them, to be honest. They shouldn't struggle to retain players. They develop youth relatively well, and perform well in the youth competition. Coaching seems competent if unspectacular.

It might just be a case of waiting out a talent lull. Sometimes it happens, I guess.

EDIT: I just checked, and we've actually been very up-and-down in the youth competition. Maybe sorting that out properly would be a start. Also, they should be scanning the entire south coast for young players. Penrith have taken advantage of their big catchment area, and St George should look to do the same.
    Too many good old football men around club maybe?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some gym classes with this guy the other day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sione_Finefeuiaki

I have never seen anyone that huge in my life.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Too many good old football men around club maybe?
    Yeah, possibly. Might need to be swept out from top to bottom, but you feel like that'll crash the club before it fixes anything.

At any rate, Step One is Hold Onto Tyson Frizell.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's disgraceful how he's turned his back on Wales.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I just corrected myself. Let's see: James Tedesco, Matt Moylan, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Brett Morris, Jack Wighton, Tom Trbojevic, Will Hopoate (no Sunday matches), Bevan French... Tenth choice.
    Yeah that's fair. If I could sign any Queensland fullback it would be Munster.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to watching him fumble around at centre next season as Billy Slater chews up half of the salary cap being worse than him.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ital...by_league_team

The 'Italians' should have a good team as well.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lebanon could put a half-decent side out these days, unlike when it was Hazem El Masri catching his own kicks.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im definitely going into this League World Cup more excited by the tier two nations than Mal's Kangaroos. Im really sour on him after all the bullshit he spewed trying to justify Semi's call up.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's fair. If I could sign any Queensland fullback it would be Munster.
    I was perhaps slightly pessimistic about the NSW squad (as history has conditioned me to be ) Tedesco should be the starting NSW fullback, without any question. The real challenge will be working out what to do with Moylan.

I'd have Coote sitting about fifth in Lewis' list, but there's still a bunch of strong players in the position. But Coote's a little bit utility, isn't he? I think he can shift around, and therefore should pop up on the bench.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utility sub?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Penrith apparently see Moylan as a stand-off in the long-term, but he was a bit underwhelming there in game three, and I would pick Mitchell Moses if I was selecting now (especially now he can play for New South Wales and Lebanon).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utility sub?
    Yeah. Apparently he can play in the halves if necessary? Probably need someone who can do that on the bench. Although Moylan can do the same with higher long-term upside.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just realised I only really follow Queensland Union and League at the moment. I could not accurately name a form NSW Origin Team and Id struggle to name half the Waratahs.

Im dry as paint with my knowledge of Brisbane Premier Grade.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Australians in the England squad, we're only really crap in one centre position, and West Hull Twitter is in tears because their favourite players missed out.
    He bombed about (at least) four very good opportunities, the bald cunt.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it too early for you to have an opinion Mr Bennett?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were actually very good in most areas. It's just that Dan Sarginson is shit (see above), the laws of the game stipulate that we have to concede at least one stupid try per test match, and Shaun Johnson decided that today was the day to stop being a lazy cunt and living off his 2014 performances. I think the plan was to win today and hope New Zealand beat Australia, so that's that out the window.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any young blokes that could come in for next year?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Sean O'Loughlin being injured (he would have played loose forward, with Sam Burgess second row) that was pretty much the full-strength team, and you would expect everyone to keep their places for next year, which will come too soon for our better up-and-coming players. Maybe Oliver Gildart in at left centre, and Ben Currie/Stevie Ward off the bench if (when) he out-plays Mike Cooper all next season; but then Burgess going into second row would force John Bateman onto the bench, which might relegate Currie/Ward. Basically, most of the depth is in the forwards, where we're good to go, and the promising young backs aren't promising enough (yet) to be causing Gareth Widdop any problems.

We could always play as Great Britain again and call up Lachlan McCoote.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing Bennet is brillian at is creating depth. Eg QAS training squad for Origin.

Probably doesn't have enough time but Wayne coaching for 5 years could massively help in the long term.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His brief is basically to eliminate the stupid shit that normally costs us these tight games, since we have the forwards and big wingers to play his sort of rugby. In other news, I saw Tommy Raudonikis in Beverley today (or at least his absolute look and sound-alike). I was too busy eating to say alright Tommy mate, but he called the dog a 'beauty'.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy: cool:

Many Australians live in Hull?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the option of a ticket to watch England v Australia rugby league at the 'London Stadium'. I declined, firstly because I can't go and secondly because rugby league, but what deludes them into thinking it's ever going to catch on in London? London looks to shit foreign sports like NFL because that's the sort of city it is and they are spectating-only, it doesn't look to embrace the dirty Brexit-voting northern provinces with a sport you'd actually want to play.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The telly numbers are always said to be strong in the South East, and they always boast about x test match/Challenge Cup tickets being sold to people down there, so common sense would suggest that there must be ten thousand people in a city of ten million who would - in theory at least - go and watch a rugby league side. The problem is that they have never really had the funding that you need for a newer, less-established venture to thrive. They had their best period in the late-nineties when Virgin were the main owners (which sounds a bit bizarre now), but, with the league itself being unwilling to support it like the NRL did with Melbourne and the Gold Coast, it will only ever take off with some wealthy idiot who can secure it a proper home ground and stop moving them around South London every three years (which always halves whatever supporter base they have managed to build). With all that in mind, the ruling bodies figure that having the odd test match down there and 'encouraging' the Southern teams is enough to be seen to be doing something, which is probably about right when there isn't really enough money going spare to sub London a million quid a year with no guarantees that it won't just disappear into a hole. The NRL could do a lot worse than offer to help, but why would they (and the RFL would find an excuse to reject it, probably on the grounds that they would be expected to accept all of their rule changes, which they do two seasons later anyway)?

I always wonder though whether there is a lot of unexplored potential down there player-wise though. There must be hundreds of 'rejects' (for lack of a better word) leaving the union academies every year, and a few of them must have particular skills that might make them more suited to league. Martin Offiah was twenty-three and playing sevens when Widnes signed him, and teams are scouting the lower leagues and university leagues more intensively than ever looking for kids who escaped league academies (both wingers from yesterday were spotted playing Sunday league when they were nineteen); but you wonder whether the inferiority complex prevents anybody thinking about having mass trials of players discarded by the other code, when we could be rolling in mixed race three-quarters. The Canadians are doing something similar looking for freakish athletes left behind by college football, so the idea is clearly sound.

As for Australians in Hull. However many are playing for the two teams, and that poor bastard fifteen year old I met at the gym last year whose parents ruined his life moving to Burstwick. Maybe Tommy was over counselling him.

'Mate, fair dinkum. Mate, fair...'

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to the game at Olympic Stadium. I thought it was being played here just as advertising to the dingo population of London.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like to think they're being clever by saying put the London team wherever Australians congregate, but we probably only get the gay ones.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could send you AFL supporters?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben Tapuai is a very good signing for Bath.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wales are hopeless. Good job nobody was there to see it.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are New Zealand playing games in the USA now? Are they that big a draw that they're just touring around like big European football teams?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because someone paid them enough to go there.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Because someone paid them enough to go there.
    So basically a yes would have done.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They whacked the Americans a couple of years ago in an exhibition, but I think this is the first time they have played a proper team (presumably carefully-selected to get the NORAID lot out).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    So basically a yes would have done.
    Only if you assume I know anything about football tours, it's flattering but I really don't.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Only if you assume I know anything about football tours, it's flattering but I really don't.
    I would never doubt you.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They whacked the Americans a couple of years ago in an exhibition, but I think this is the first time they have played a proper team (presumably carefully-selected to get the NORAID lot out).
    Seemingly there's a heap of posh Dubliners and huns over there for it, but not enough to even half fill it I'd reckon so they'd need some passing interest in the All Blacks to make a few bob on it anyway.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This England vs England D will be a bit crap (and we need to batter them on the off chance it goes to points difference), but Australia vs New Zealand should be mega.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Seemingly there's a heap of posh Dubliners and huns over there for it, but not enough to even half fill it I'd reckon so they'd need some passing interest in the All Blacks to make a few bob on it anyway.
    Perfectly timed to play in Chicago when the Cubs have won the World Series for the first time in 108 (?) years.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see literally everybody vindicated in their belief that Coventry was a terrible place to host this.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This hasn't been a bad game. Australia look tidy.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are England just basically the GB team or is it a different selection process when they're split up?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the other one, are New Zealand precious enough never to risk a neutral venue again if Ireland see this out?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the other one, are New Zealand precious enough never to risk a neutral venue again if Ireland see this out?
    Just seen yhr score in that on twitter. Is it a real NZ team or some Maori/youth/B selection?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the proper one. Adidas will call in a bomb threat with five minutes to go and get it abandoned.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand have been rubbish here. Maybe Stephen Kearney was actually some sort of genius. In the other one, Ireland are BOTTLING IT at an alarming rate.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on. Shaun Johnson has woken up (with two minutes left).