User Tag List

Page 245 of 342 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,250 of 17058

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter could only get her 1 year pediatrician visit once she was 14 months old. The visits are so useless that I didn't really care, but obviously some people are going to be mad.

Then there was the dentist, who only had appointments for 13 months from the day we called.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    You could (obviously you shouldn't) punch a human representative of that system.
    Jeremy Hunt?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there some weird pensions trap that has led to a load of already money-grabbing GPs semi-retiring/retiring earlier than they otherwise should be doing? It's something like once your Pension Pot reaches a certain amount it isn't worth working over a certain number of hours. If so it seems like a relatively easy thing to rectify, but some mongoloid in the Treasury is probably blocking it on 'cost' grounds.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see something in the Telegraph how they’re only working like 20 hours a week now and for some reason that’s the public’s fault.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Jeremy Hunt?
    Turns out that "obviously you shouldn't" is less obvious than we thought.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a load of older GPs who would otherwise be retired working 20 hours a week is definitely the problem.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm getting dangerously close to hating everything. Latest thing: A million people to cancel their direct debits on the same day.

I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62353114

It's like 2008 never happened.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have a Labour Government now so it'll be fine.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes one wonder if it’s a sensible move to sell now and rent until this shitstorm is over. It’s going to be horrific.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my mortgage fixed for 7 years last July (after consulting my economics nerd brother who said there would be inflation), best thing I've ever done probably.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say so. I’ve two and a half years left on mine and I’m not convinced it’s gonna be long enough to ride this out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure even Jim's 7 years is going to be long enough. There's an absolute shitstorm coming.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile every time I see my parents they ask me why I haven't put all my money into buying up extra chunks of my property (I own 60%). Isn't this just them being boomers not understanding things?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bank thing won't make a jot of difference to be honest as they will still be governed by income multiples as to what they will lend.

The interest rate thing is just weird at the minute. Normally mortgage rates start around 0.75% above base for lower loan to value stuff. At the minute they are about 2% above base banks are saying that they can't get the money any cheaper but they can do tracker rates cheap so something doesn't add up. With the base rate I can't see the logic in what the Bank of England is doing increasing the rate is only achieving making borrowing more expensive but having absolutely no impact whatsoever on in inflation. So all they are going to achieve is squeezing people's budgets from another direction.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fixed is up next July. Excellent.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fixed is up next July. Excellent.
    Mine's in August. I'm a bit worried.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that mean? I’ve no clue about any of that stuff.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually when you take out a mortgage you'll have it at a fixed rate for a certain number of years so fluctuations in the base interest rate set by the central bank won't impact it and your monthly payments remain the same. When that fixed period finishes, you either start paying the standard variable rate (SVR) which is usually the base rate plus a certain amount or switch to a new fixed rate, possibly with another provider.

With the base rate going up and likely to go up again at some point, it's going to be more expensive either on the SVR or a new fixed rate.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's in August. I'm a bit worried.
    0.25% extra should add around £15 extra per £100k borrowing per month.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    0.25% extra should add around £15 extra per £100k borrowing per month.
    I guess that's not too bad.

What's your opinion on overpaying? Should I be doing it?

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually when you take out a mortgage you'll have it at a fixed rate for a certain number of years so fluctuations in the base interest rate set by the central bank won't impact it and your monthly payments remain the same. When that fixed period finishes, you either start paying the standard variable rate (SVR) which is usually the base rate plus a certain amount or switch to a new fixed rate, possibly with another provider.

With the base rate going up and likely to go up again at some point, it's going to be more expensive either on the SVR or a new fixed rate.
    I must ask the Mrs what ours is. She dealt with all that at the time, but then again it's always a case of take what you can get when you can get one here.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's not too bad.

What's your opinion on overpaying? Should I be doing it?
    While you have a cheap rate yes if you can afford to. As with everything don’t get too carried away by the doom and gloom.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one thing I do remember her being told at the time. They said don't overpay anything for the first 2 (or maybe 3) years and just save it and pay it off in a lump after that time. Not sure what the mechanics of it all are or why that would be.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Beyonce used a "ableist slur" in a song and got in trouble. The Guardian managed to write a whole piece about it.

I have no idea what word they are talking about.

Beyoncé has confirmed that she will remove an offensive term for disabled people from the lyrics of her new album, Renaissance, after it was called “ableist” and “offensive” by disability charities and activists.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...g-ableist-slur

Edit: Apparently its the word 'spaz'. I had guessed 'retard', so wasn't too far off.
    Last edited by John Arne; 02-08-2022 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to be dumb as bricks to use "spaz" in a mainstream pop song and expect it to fly.

EDIT: The line in question was "Spazzin on that ass, spaz on that ass"

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She can spaz on Baz if she wants.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    You've got to be dumb as bricks to use "spaz" in a mainstream pop song and expect it to fly.

EDIT: The line in question was "Spazzin on that ass, spaz on that ass"
    Do you realise how offensive the phrase "dumb" is to the deaf community? You ableist piece of shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Do you realise how offensive the phrase "dumb" is to the deaf community? You ableist piece of shit.
    Fuck off retard.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This withdrawing life support for the 12 year old is another heads-have-gone piece. The family should be done for slander or something.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and the Mrs were talking about this last night. I completely understand why the family don't want to let go. They are grieving parents in denial. The question is why they are being allowed to appeal this shit seemingly endlessly.

By all means, appeal once. A second opinion is a fair request. But how the fuck are we at the stage where the cunting UN are involved?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a combination of his mother being a mentalist and the Christians sticking their oar in as it suits their anti abortion interests. They keep saying they think he was doing 'an online challenge' but there is suspicion it was actually a suicide attempt. If they had to pay for treatment it would have been over ages ago, she is posing with him and posting pics online, going on Jeremy fucking Kyle's show talking about it when there are potentially hours left with her son. It's crazy, the lad is dead, he has necrotic fluid in his lungs and there are bits of his brain in his spinal fluid where he is decomposing inside.

She is from Southend apparently Spikey, and an 'infamous' character. There were some facebook screenshots floating around from years back where she was laughing about being a prostitute and bantering her teenage son for having a small dick on a public post so yeah, there'll be no dignity for this poor kid.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the videos of Archie parading about in her stripper gear.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people say Southend is shithole.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and the Mrs were talking about this last night. I completely understand why the family don't want to let go. They are grieving parents in denial. The question is why they are being allowed to appeal this shit seemingly endlessly.

By all means, appeal once. A second opinion is a fair request. But how the fuck are we at the stage where the cunting UN are involved?
    I have very little experience of actually withdrawing care as I've not worked in a PICU or NICU, but we do semi-regularly have kids in who have life-limiting illnesses who have discussions going on about what level of heroics are appropriate if they start trying to die.

It's obviously completely normal to take some time to come to terms with that when its first brought up and many people will push back initially.

But the ones who absolutely insist you do absolutely every possible thing to try and save their kid who is inevitably going to die are almost always dickheads outside of and before those discussions arise.

Based on Lofty's post it seems that RL's theorem holds up here.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a little tidbit that's popped into my head on the basis of talking about heroic efforts to save kids.

The last bastion of heroic treatment you can give someone who is really trying to die is ECMO (that's a bit of an oversimplification obviously but the underlying point is sound).

There is one man in the whole of the UK who can provide an ECMO transport service for neonates. He is affectionately known as ECMO-man in NICUs across the country.

He is not a neonatologist, he is not even a paediatrician, he knows basically nothing about neonatal intensive care. He is an adult vascular surgeon who thought it would be cool to be ECMO-man. In essence, he is the country's most glorified plumber who can plumb a premature baby into an ECMO machine and transport them to a hospital which is neonatal ECMO centre. I think by helicopter but can't 100% remember on that.

So if your baby is in a NICU which is not an ECMO centre and they decide it is sick enough to need ECMO, you will likely meet ECMO man. If ECMO man is on holiday you are shit out of luck.

There are little oddities and lotteries like this all through the NHS which I imagine the public suspect or are aware of to some extent but don't know the specifics.

Anyway I thought that might be interesting.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he the German guy? My wife works in vascular and I'm sure she's mentioned him before.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The organisation employs, what, over three million people, if he's performing a valuable service, how on earth is there only one of him?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Here's a little tidbit that's popped into my head on the basis of talking about heroic efforts to save kids.

The last bastion of heroic treatment you can give someone who is really trying to die is ECMO (that's a bit of an oversimplification obviously but the underlying point is sound).

There is one man in the whole of the UK who can provide an ECMO transport service for neonates. He is affectionately known as ECMO-man in NICUs across the country.

He is not a neonatologist, he is not even a paediatrician, he knows basically nothing about neonatal intensive care. He is an adult vascular surgeon who thought it would be cool to be ECMO-man. In essence, he is the country's most glorified plumber who can plumb a premature baby into an ECMO machine and transport them to a hospital which is neonatal ECMO centre. I think by helicopter but can't 100% remember on that.

So if your baby is in a NICU which is not an ECMO centre and they decide it is sick enough to need ECMO, you will likely meet ECMO man. If ECMO man is on holiday you are shit out of luck.

There are little oddities and lotteries like this all through the NHS which I imagine the public suspect or are aware of to some extent but don't know the specifics.

Anyway I thought that might be interesting.
    My Step Dad was a Paramedic and he was forever saying that the whole thing is a lottery, and that if you don't have a heart attack while it's quiet / convenient, you're probably a goner.

He once had to file a report to a manager for shouting at a constipated woman that had lied to get an ambulance sent out, when earlier that night a man had already died simply because they took too long to get there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he the German guy? My wife works in vascular and I'm sure she's mentioned him before.
    I don't know to be quite honest, I can't even remember his name. I've not worked in NICU so I've only heard the legends of ECMO-man, I've never met him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The organisation employs, what, over three million people, if he's performing a valuable service, how on earth is there only one of him?
    I don't know. It's incredibly, incredibly niche but why there's literally nobody else I couldn't tell you.

Perhaps nobody else wants to commit to it knowing they'll be one of only two people and will get dragged all over the country. Which is obviously a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Step Dad was a Paramedic and he was forever saying that the whole thing is a lottery, and that if you don't have a heart attack while it's quiet / convenient, you're probably a goner.

He once had to file a report to a manager for shouting at a constipated woman that had lied to get an ambulance sent out, when earlier that night a man had already died simply because they took too long to get there.
    The ambulance service has been in dire straights lately. Seems better in the last few weeks, but not long ago we were regularly hearing of parents calling 999 and not even being able to get their call answered, nonetheless get an ambulance.

One parent got quoted a 6 hour wait for their baby who - based on the symptoms - could very easily have been having a stroke. Scary shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.eastmidlandscongenitalhe.../chris-harvey/

This is him I think.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we're all pissed off enough with the NHS, it won't be too hard for them to privatise it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a rough timeframe in mind for that happening? Because I don't think it will.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might do, it might not. I doubt it will happen all at once even if it does. It's more likely that non-emergency departments will go the same way as Dentistry. Or, they'll just make the NHS so unrelentingly shit that private health insurance just becomes the goto option for anyone but the poorest.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't Virgin already running loads of GP surgeries?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old man got himself some private coverage recently and it's not even thirty quid a month. Alright, not everybody can afford that, but why doesn't literally anybody with any sort of disposable income have it? The minute I feel myself to be in any less tremendous condition I will be on it. I could see the future being something whereby private coverage is incentivised through the tax system (which it should be) and the NHS just ends up being the pleb option, sort of like what other developed countries with significantly better outcomes than us have, but outright PRIVATISATION is a conspiracy theory.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get some low lever health insurance through my work and as luck would have it I got a letter from HMRC today - to tell me my new Tax Code, cheers lads, I knew it in April, what a waste of paper - anyway, I paid £150 in Tax on my health insurance last year apparently. I haven't even used it ffs. Might tell my employer I don't want it. I think it only amounts to some bullshit phone line for mental health wibbles and 20% off my next Chiropractic Chakra alignment anyway.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 02-08-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    My old man got himself some private coverage recently and it's not even thirty quid a month. Alright, not everybody can afford that, but why doesn't literally anybody with any sort of disposable income have it? The minute I feel myself to be in any less tremendous condition I will be on it. I could see the future being something whereby private coverage is incentivised through the tax system (which it should be) and the NHS just ends up being the pleb option, sort of like what other developed countries with significantly better outcomes than us have, but outright PRIVATISATION is a conspiracy theory.
    30 a month isn't too bad but what does it cover. They always push Health Shield at my spot, but I think full coverage is quite pricey.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've got Bupa through work and it's shit. I wouldn't pay for it if it was coming out of my pocket.

Plus I take the view that with every person that turns to private brings the end of the NHS one step closer (because they'll resent paying the tax to keep the NHS going when they don't use it).