Results 10,801 to 10,850 of 17058

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    people from the north.
    The war is over pal. Leave the commies be.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my politics degree ten years ago, I remember writing an essay arguing that instead of all-women shortlists, Blair's Labour could just as easily have had a shortlist of dog owners only. Got a high mark for it. Don't think I would these days.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    You could, but it really has narrowed down to two things:

- More black people on everything.
    - Never question anything 'trans'

Anyone else can fuck off.
    Regarding the first point.... I must admit whenever I tune in to an illegal Sky Sports stream, I always find the adverts really weird. Like Every ad contains a black person/family, maybe an Asian family, a same-sex couple... its kinda, yeah ok - that's fine, but that seems to be way over-representative of the country I lived in... Perhaps I've been away longer than I care to remember. Maybe it's a good thing, I really don't know.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    You realise who you've just said that to?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You weren't there man.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the first point.... I must admit whenever I tune in to an illegal Sky Sports stream, I always find the adverts really weird. Like Every ad contains a black person/family, maybe an Asian family, a same-sex couple... its kinda, yeah ok - that's fine, but that seems to be way over-representative of the country I lived in... Perhaps I've been away longer than I care to remember. Maybe it's a good thing, I really don't know.
    Equality doesn't mean equal, it means vast overcompensation in the other direction. Try getting a job these days if you're white and have a pair of balls (unless your name is now Barbara and you still have the balls).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. In the name of the representation, ads have become even less representative of the populations they claim to purport than before. You love to see it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post

Superb.
    So she just let some random in her house for hours and hoped they didn't nonce the kids?

Yeah it seems to be an easy way to hit the quota now, interracial couples on ads. I don't care either way, one of my best friends married a woman from Nigeria, but it is a bit jarring in every advert when the UK is as white and as racist as ever.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are these “Island Boys” and what have they done/do they do?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black people in adverts always have bright, colourful interior decor compared to the white people. Sofa over and cushions especially. Check it, I don't invent these things.

Pub groups of men in betting ads and the like always have exactly one black man.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed Asian people are still pretty underrepresented in Adverts, but they do get shoehorned into Christmas Adverts a bit more than Adverts for the rest of the year.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure there are more Asian people than black people in the UK, aren't there? The difference in marketability is that black people are associated (for some reason) with the US civil rights movement, which is the lens through which quite a lot of freaks view all of human affairs.

Jazz, hip-hop and sweet, sweet soul a lot more ad-friendly than bhangra and raga.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    one of my best friends married a woman from Nigeria.
    Next time you head to the barbers get a 0 all over and reveal your true identity. Gammon scum.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo...United_Kingdom

A bit out of date, but:

Asian - 7.19%
    Black - 3.01%

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But black people place exactly 33% of weekend 'accas' according to gambling adverts. Must be total addicts.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    At some point we're going to end up with "Why do we have an American playing a Brit?!" and we'll never have to hear another terrible accent. Play the long game guys.
    Not if they're both white we won't.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Not if they're both white we won't.
    Give him time.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were going to include two races in the same bracket for marketing, it's probably white and black. All the Asian demographics refuse to embrace Western culture.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I mean that there are no end goals or cause (say, 'Free Nelson Mandela') but just an endless logical process that will end in society seizing up.
    You're right, the train doesn't stop and proportionate representation is not enough. I happened to catch Emmerdale the other day for the first time in decades and white people were the minority in the episode I saw. A minority, in a rural village in Yorkshire.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immigration gone mad.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Immigration gone mad.

It does make a mockery of stuff like this though.

The Black to Front Project is part of Channel 4’s ongoing commitment to improve Black representation on-screen and more widely in the TV industry. The purpose of the project is two-fold: firstly, to challenge us all to see our content differently, and secondly, to leave a lasting legacy in terms of increased Black representation both on- and off-screen.
    And I say that as someone who really couldn't give a shit what colour the actors are as long as they're good, but when the ethnicity of the group you're claiming is under represented only make up 3% of the population, meaning they're actually over represented, my bullshit detector goes haywire.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Equality doesn't mean equal, it means vast overcompensation in the other direction. Try getting a job these days if you're white and have a pair of balls (unless your name is now Barbara and you still have the balls).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eastenders always makes me laugh. One Black family. One Asian family. One gay family. Everyone else is WhiteCisgenderyGammon.

In East London.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Eastenders always makes me laugh. One Black family. One Asian family. One gay family. Everyone else is WhiteCisgenderyGammon.

In East London.
    And I guess that's where we hit the tipping point of this in that I'm sure the BBC know that if they actually represented East London properly ratings would dive as far more people care about these things than should.

On a separate point Hollywood have served up some absolute stinkers with Women in lead roles (labouring under the misapprehension that if you do that you don't need to worry about the quality of the writing or anything else) and at some point audiences will switch bad films off, even if they're films that are cannon in a beloved franchise. Ironic that once again Hollywood are years behind the pace with this stuff and haven't yet caught up with the fact that Women don't matter anymore.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason Asians are not more represented is that they manage to do just fine without needing the white man to change their ways to accommodate them. In the US they are basically considered part of white supremacy nowadays.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're talking about south Asians.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those do fine too, in the US. And as you mentioned, what matters is how things play out in the US, not over there.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason Asians are not more represented is that they manage to do just fine without needing the white man to change their ways to accommodate them. In the US they are basically considered part of white supremacy nowadays.
    A fair few South Vietnamese flags were spotted at the Capital Riot

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those do fine too, in the US. And as you mentioned, what matters is how things play out in the US, not over there.
    Pakistanis are more likely to be cousin-shagging whingers, but Indians just get on and succeed. The exception seems to be high caste Indians in America (and therefore increasingly here) who throw their lot in with the grievance people as a way of obtaining the sort of unearned reverence they expect back home.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you head to the barbers get a 0 all over and reveal your true identity. Gammon scum.
    My eyebrows are not suited to that I went out with a girl from Fiji once, she was fit. Had a Brazzers subscription

I haven't seen the stats on the population make up south asian vs black but assume it is as said here.

The best over representation is Hollyoaks where everyone is gay or bi.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger we were taught that life wasn't fair, but you could win. The Indian population seem to have stuck with that mantra while everyone else (of nearly all other backgrounds) has just focused on the unfair bit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the theme of there being no end for all this shit:

In response, Tony's said: "We failed to consider the difficulties empty windows can cause for neurodivergent children and adults. We have more to learn in considering how we can make our products as inclusive as possible."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59636955

Dear lord.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has to be a wind up, but if it isn't...

It's funny, when I accuse the World of being soft as shit at the moment I get Phonics and/or Kik's lumping in one me for my wrongness. But there it is, people's mental disorders being triggered by a window behind an advent calendar being empty.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that and I'm prepared to bet the adults were angrier than the majority* of kids would have been. That said, it's a stupid thing to do.

* Allowing for the kids who do genuinely have issues and will go apeshit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there is nothing good at all in that article, for anyone involved.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problems in British society began when people started putting chocolate in advent calendars. When I was a kid my calendar doors would contain nothing but a small Christmas-related picture (a snowman, a robin, one of the Three Wise Men, etc) and that was more than enough of a thrill.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Pakistanis are more likely to be cousin-shagging whingers, but Indians just get on and succeed. The exception seems to be high caste Indians in America (and therefore increasingly here) who throw their lot in with the grievance people as a way of obtaining the sort of unearned reverence they expect back home.
    A Pakistani Math Prof I play football with is full into the whole shit. Once we were playing and told me that some new lad never passed the ball to non-white people. Didn't even know what to say, so I just said 'ohrly?' and moved on. Took about five seconds of inspection to realize that he was wrong. He is lighter skinned than me, of course. I am sure the U S of A is extremely unfair to him.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a Pakistani student doing research with me last summer and he was complete dogshit, to the point that I fired him before his term was over. Based on these two examples, I will conclude that Pakistanis are shit. Indians are class though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The problems in British society began when people started putting chocolate in advent calendars. When I was a kid my calendar doors would contain nothing but a small Christmas-related picture (a snowman, a robin, one of the Three Wise Men, etc) and that was more than enough of a thrill.
    What sort of upper class faux-Victorian shit is that? All my advent calendars had chocolate in them.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explains why you're a wrong'un.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I ever had an advent calendar.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    What sort of upper class faux-Victorian shit is that? All my advent calendars had chocolate in them.
    That tickled me.

So did mine and I'm sure I'm older than Jimmy.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that I have never had one. I don't think that they were a thing in Mexico, or at least my parents didn't bother.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first ever advent calender was one that just had a Christmas illustration behind it. I think that was because we were poor, though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started from the bottom.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    It was a conscious decision by my mum as she thought we ate enough chocolate as it was. A common theme actually - she also didn't play any pop music in the house until I was about ten (even though she herself liked pop music) because she thought we'd discover that for ourselves anyway, so it was always Classic FM or classical CDs. Oh yeah, and I could only have the much sought after Coco Pops on Saturdays - had to be blander cereal on the other days of the week.

Funny, looking back. I've started reading loads of books about the 60s, 70s and 80s recently to try and understand where it is I actually come from.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of that sounds insane but then I remembered that we were only allowed fizzy drinks at the weekend (a single bottle of lemonade between all of us).

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't turned out a bad skin all the same so she can't be faulted.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We weren't allowed fizzy drinks at all until I was about 11. Remember an orangina on holiday in France being the first one I ever had and thinking it was some kind of magical nectar. I was very restricted on things like computer games etc as well.

I think even she would now think it was all insane, but it's definitely contributed to my having a deep fear of breaking rules, among other things.