Page 207 of 342 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,350 of 17058

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Who has turned a blind eye on a large number of questionable goings-on in her family, such as paedophilia and racism.
    Hard to tell whether this is praise or criticism.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, Baz and Waff performatively enjoying our bonus bankholiday.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they told to bring their creepy uncle on a day out?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leave Baz alone.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah Spikey just invites himself.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Were they told to bring their creepy uncle on a day out?
    Oh this is the first time you've been introduced to the Famleigh? Oh you lucky man.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever they are, I really hope it's the last too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at their instagram, and am now having vivid daydreams about poisoning their water supply and lolling at the corpse-strewn house the next day.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet, Jimmy. There's still posting gold to come from your current job.

Save the prison diaries for later life.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The famleigh need to be mown down for the sake of everyone.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm disappointed none of you remember that GEM from when it broke the Covid thread back in January.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh don't worry, I remember it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Execution is a bit strong but sterilisation is recommended.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do I. I'm puzzled as to how it has so few views though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably comes from Tiktok and they have since posted it cross-platform in order to increase their business prospects.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going to make the assumption that if any harm come to them then Baz and Mike will hunt you down.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The comment by Judith Woods has triggered me big time. We're only generation rent because everything is unaffordable you twat.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of. If Generation Instagram weren't spending Ł12 grand a year on holidays and city breaks they'd be able to save up for the deposit easy enough.

It's not as easy as it was for Generations past (not by a long shot), but it is doable if you just save your money rather than spunking it up the wall.

If you'd rather have the holidays than 10 years of saving, then that's cool but that's a conscious choice that's being made, getting on the property ladder is not "unaffordable".
    Last edited by Spikey M; 28-10-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and 30 years ago that wasn't a conscious choice that had to be made, because property was affordable.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but property still is affordable. Just not easily. Also, 30 years ago we didn't have a consumerist society like we do now. They may have had more affordable housing, but they also didn't spend all their money on iPhones, holidays and oh god I've become one of them.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And not everybody is positioned to end up in a job early doors where they can afford to save. I know plenty of people who don't have a house or much by way of savings but also weren't fucking off on holiday all the time. They just had jobs that didn't much allow for either.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    oh god I've become one of them.

Tell us what's wrong with the youth of today, grampa, I'll get you an Ovaltine.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what age do you become out of touch?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My anecdotal experience for those buying in London (which isn't the whole of the UK) was you either had to have a parent die, have very wealthy parents, move into help-to-buy or a shared ownership property. The latter two usually ending up out in east London somewhere.

More of my manc friends have been able to buy but one mate for example was able to buy a two bed terrace in Denton (not a great area) for Ł60k. Which is a deposit in London.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for my communist flag lads, give me a minute, I last had it in 2012.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And not everybody is positioned to end up in a job early doors where they can afford to save. I know plenty of people who don't have a house or much by way of savings but also weren't fucking off on holiday all the time. They just had jobs that didn't much allow for either.
    This is a really good point. I was spending the same as I'd spend on mortgage repayments if I was able to save/live with parents. It wasn't all going on avocado lattes and instagram weekend trips.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you try renting in London (anything other than a dingy room in a hellish 5-bed house share) you're spending Ł800/month+ before the first avocado has been crushed in anger.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but property still is affordable. Just not easily. Also, 30 years ago we didn't have a consumerist society like we do now. They may have had more affordable housing, but they also didn't spend all their money on iPhones, holidays and oh god I've become one of them.
    I thought your national service comment when I was moaning about noisy kids the other day was sarcastic but now I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone living in London is an idiot and that's a hill I will die on.

Absolute shithole.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    This is a really good point. I was spending the same as I'd spend on mortgage repayments if I was able to save/live with parents. It wasn't all going on avocado lattes and instagram weekend trips.
    My mate just bought a house having lived with his parents until he was 28 and genuinely seemed baffled as to why I hadn't just bought one.

He'd worked in some of the same shit jobs as me and knew I rented but hadn't put that together. It's fine, it just shows that we all don't really think other people's situations through.

Which is fine if you're just some mong like I am but when you're advocating for how things should be run it can sometimes help to look past the end of your own nose but that seems a rare trait.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved living in Arsenal. Do one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Queens Park Rangers and that was great too. There's a reason the north is affordable.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What defines early doors for you? I was unemployed for 5 years coming out of college. Now I'm looking at my pension thinking, "Aye, I could shave a few years off my sentence." Although I never really had debts to deal with as I stayed with the parents until I found work. And the wasted time always had me thinking about making up for it. Plus I had parents who grafted and saved. I always thought they were skint.

I think that's the main issue. You learn nothing of fiscal responsibility at school. Coming up, I saw plenty of young'ns drop their pension contributions because that's tomorrow's problem or it's for old people. I'd rather plan for a future I might not live to see, just in case I do.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I thought your national service comment when I was moaning about noisy kids the other day was sarcastic but now I'm not so sure.
    I was mostly Kiko baiting in my first post, although there is some truth to it. Alot of the people moaning they're stuck at home with their parents in their 30's COULD have been saving to buy a flat.

It's shit that it takes 10 years of solid saving to buy a shoebox above a chipshop, but that's where we are and it isn't going to change so you have to play the game.

Of course smug boomers like Judith can fuck off, considering she presumably bought the 5 bed house she lives in (with 4 unused bedrooms, no doubt) for about 20 grand, and she should keep it shut.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    What defines early doors for you?
    Well I didn't get a job that actually allowed me to save much until I was 30-odd what with rent and everything and obviously with the shit jobs comes debt in the event anything expensive comes up (not holidays, I didn't fork out for one myself until I was in my 30s) you need to find the money somewhere so you go credit cards, etc. I have an alright job now but live in my overdraft to pay off debt and then can hopefully at some point start saving for a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I think that's the main issue. You learn nothing of fiscal responsibility at school. Coming up, I saw plenty of young'ns drop their pension contributions because that's tomorrow's problem or it's for old people.
    I read a thing once that said a study shows that when the human brain thinks of itself in the future it behaves the exact same way as it does when thinking of another person, not the way it does when you think of yourself in the present. If that thing I read is correct (or I haven't misunderstood it because I'm an idiot) a lot of folk are pretty much wired to go "lol fuck that guy" half the time. Luckily my last few jobs they basically tell you some of your salary's going toward a pension.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also great when the person telling the Youth that they need to buckle down, work hard and save is some peer on Twitter whose dad is the Duke of Horseington.

"I failed my exams and worked really hard and look at where I am with just a trifling mil or two from mater and pater along the way!"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I didn't get a job that actually allowed me to save much until I was 30-odd what with rent and everything and obviously with the shit jobs comes debt in the event anything expensive comes up (not holidays, I didn't fork out for one myself until I was in my 30s) you need to find the money somewhere so you go credit cards, etc. I have an alright job now but live in my overdraft to pay off debt and then can hopefully at some point start saving for a house.
    This is the bracket of people I really feel for. If you have to rent then saving for a deposit is going to be really fucking tough. Not least because the rent is more than the equivalent mortgage would be. Is moving in with the parents for a bit not an option? Or is - as I presume to be the case - a cycle of rent and debt preferable to doing so?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empathy is a rare and underrated quality.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the bracket of people I really feel for. If you have to rent then saving for a deposit is going to be really fucking tough. Not least because the rent is more than the equivalent mortgage would be. Is moving in with the parents for a bit not an option? Or is - as I presume to be the case - a cycle of rent and debt preferable to doing so?
    I've been staying at my parents for the last month (see the Big C thread) and honestly I'd rather be poor (relatively, I know I'm not ACTUALLY poor) than do it long-term. It's driven me up the wall. I can't even imagine the state I'd be in if I subjected myself to it for a year or whatever.

I spend money that I don't strictly NEED to but as with the moving-in-with-my-parents thing you have to make a choice sometimes between small things that help you get through the week (a takeaway, a meal out with friends, some overpriced beers for wankers) or spending as little as you can get away with to speed up the process and, again, I accept that that is a decision I'm making.

But it doesn't alter that even for people in similar but slightly easier/better circumstances than mine it's still an absolute pig to save and get the house if your every thought is "Do I NEED to spend this?"

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to rent then saving for a deposit is going to be really fucking tough.
    No fucking shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been staying at my parents for the last month (see the Big C thread) and honestly I'd rather be poor (relatively, I know I'm not ACTUALLY poor) than do it long-term. It's driven me up the wall. I can't even imagine the state I'd be in if I subjected myself to it for a year or whatever.

I spend money that I don't strictly NEED to but as with the moving-in-with-my-parents thing you have to make a choice sometimes between small things that help you get through the week (a takeaway, a meal out with friends, some overpriced beers for wankers) or spending as little as you can get away with to speed up the process and, again, I accept that that is a decision I'm making.

But it doesn't alter that even for people in similar but slightly easier/better circumstances than mine it's still an absolute pig to save and get the house if your every thought is "Do I NEED to spend this?"
    Sorry to hear you've got shit going on. I stayed away from the Cancer thread as its "a trigger" for me, as the kids would say. Bastard of an illness.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I’m going to make the assumption that if any harm come to them then Baz and Mike will hunt you down.
    You have a big misconception of me if you think I’ve ever heard of those people, nevermind like them.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that not be regarded as top bantz?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went down the live like a trappist monk for 15 years route, and all I've got out of it is 50% stake in a pretty shit house and the distinct sensation that I've wasted the best years of my life.

So my advice to the yoot of this world is smash as many fucking avocados as you like.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HOUSING CRISIS is largely a South East thing, and over the lifetime of the mortgage you probably pay less than you used to on genuine interest rates, but I wonder what extent the proliferation of university education has done to housing prospects. Not so much in terms of the debt ('debt'), but 1) you spend three years making no money whatsoever at a time when our parents were still living at home and saving [from the jobs they got straight out of school with no proper application process]; and 2) if Portsmouth if anything to go by, half the inner housing stock has been turned into student share houses for the twenty-odd per cent population increase that wouldn't otherwise live here.

London housing though lmao. I look at jobs there and short of almost doubling my money nah mate.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the idea that home ownership was easier back in the day even true though? Did more people actually own their homes in the 70s or whatever?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five seconds of Googling led me to this:

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just compare it to our parents, who were the first generation for it to really be a 'thing'. Their parents mostly lived in shit council houses and rented their telly.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our parents bought their houses when? 80s? 90s? If that single plot is to be believed, things don't look that much worse off.