User Tag List

Page 165 of 340 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,250 of 16996

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had they pressed ahead with the vaccine passports whilst keeping the rest of us locked up I think it would have been the first time I'd have been OUTRAGED. As it is, I don't think I ever have been either. I think being a cynic helps.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've realised today (not sure why only today) that I have never in my life felt angry. Pissed off, maybe, but not angry, of the type that makes you go out and scream at things, or abuse people on social media. No doubt my lefty comrades would tell me that is various kinds of privilege talking, but I don't think so. I just think I have some fucking perspective.
    The lack of perspective in this post.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What perspective am I lacking? What do you think causes anger?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's say being sexually assaulted, or racially abused. Those are first-hand experiences which (I hope) you've never lived through, which rightly cause anger in people. The privilege is not having to have had those experiences, and the lack of perspective is to judge the people who have for being angry.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's saying he hasn't had those experiences, and as a result has never really had anything to get OUTRAGED about, and that people who also haven't had those lack perspective in getting wound up by social media and the like.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped us going into a pub with Luca because I deemed it 'a bit gay in here', so that was a brush with hate crime.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoon got nonced by a Mormon, pass it on..

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    He's saying he hasn't had those experiences, and as a result has never really had anything to get OUTRAGED about, and that people who also haven't had those lack perspective in getting wound up by social media and the like.
    He's said that it's not his privilege talking, but rather his fucking perspective, as though anyone could achieve that state of level-headedness simply by changing their perspective on things. When in reality the privilege is the very fact of not having had those experiences.

The way you've reframed his comment, yeah, nothing to disagree with there. I'd argue that the ability to get angry on behalf of others is an important part of empathy (like, you shouldn't stay calm when you watch the George Floyd video), but that's a different conversation. (And yes, obviously there's also no doubt that social media makes a lot of people lose perspective and get seethingly angry about things which they don't need to.)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I judge people is that I think anger comes more from within than from without. All you need to do to know that is sit in comfortable middle class England for thirty years and watch the stewing, seething anger that exists in so many people who sit in nice houses, have no material deficiency in their lives, and so have no 'reason' to be angry whatsoever.

I've sat in a lot of rooms and heard a lot of things, mind, so I'm not having the privilege line. I know what it means to have the language of society running against you.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I judge people is that I think anger comes more from within than from without. All you need to do to know that is sit in comfortable middle class England for thirty years and watch the stewing, seething anger that exists in so many people who sit in nice houses, have no material deficiency in their lives, and so have no 'reason' to be angry whatsoever.
    Definitely, but I think it's a leap to extend that to all angry people, as I felt you had. There are a lot of people who are angry with no reason, and also a lot of people who are angry with plenty of reason. People for whom the anger has inarguably come from without. Both can be true at once.

I've sat in a lot of rooms and heard a lot of things, mind, so I'm not having the privilege line. I know what it means to have the language of society running against you.

I think you'd be well within your rights to feel angry about that, too.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was still angry about George Floyd, but, in light of women's safety being the current most pressing issue, I've re-framed it as one less violent man on the streets and now I'm cool.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did our best for Spoon, but he's been absent for too long. He's gone woke.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only positive of this whole situation is it might put enough pressure on Patel to kill that fascist police bill she’s been pushing through.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The only positive of this whole situation is it might put enough pressure on Patel to kill that fascist police bill she’s been pushing through.
    They have an 80 seat majority and a policy of not giving a fuck about anything, probably fast track it instead.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've come out and said "tut tut, naughty naughty". They will never "consider the matter resolved".

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've realised today (not sure why only today) that I have never in my life felt angry. Pissed off, maybe, but not angry, of the type that makes you go out and scream at things, or abuse people on social media. No doubt my lefty comrades would tell me that is various kinds of privilege talking, but I don't think so. I just think I have some fucking perspective.
    I'm sure some of my posts over the years have made you angry.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an English lady who was reported missing in by Somerset Police the other week. Turned out she had been chatting to someone double her age in Dundee and took her two young daughters with her to his. Police rocked up at his door to ask if she was there or not and a 7 year old was in the room with him. He firstly lied and told the police it was his daughter before admitting he murdered her older sister and mother and buried them under his kitchen floor. Proper Peter Tobin stuff.

I don’t even think I’ve seen a proper news outlet/article on it but that Sarah was given national news before they’d even knew a police officer was involved.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't she Filipino and the younger daughter was killed?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Google her name though and there’s one news article on it.

They apparently found another body under the floorboards whilst digging up for the Mum and daughter. Unsurprisingly done for attempted murder 15 years ago on a prostitute

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... that's fucked up in more ways than one.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Yeah. Google her name though and there’s one news article on it.

They apparently found another body under the floorboards whilst digging up for the Mum and daughter. Unsurprisingly done for attempted murder 15 years ago on a prostitute
    I found a couple but only one (Daily Record) mentioned the older daughter that was found alive there.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She'll have an Onlyfans next.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let her in.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooooof

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be fooled by the sunglasses. Take them off and it's a whole different ball game.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    She'll have an Onlyfans next.
    InfiDels.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're ranking jihadi wives then I'll give an honourable mench to Tooba Gondal.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's trying too hard. Shamima doesn't need to try. Niqab hair, don't care.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That refugee camp diet has really done her a favour.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PROPER MONTHS WORK IN A JIHADI LABOUR CAMP WOLUD SORT OUT OUR COUNCIL FATSOS bemoans Mark Francois.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, she's was seen in the clothes weeks ago when she was denied her return. It's all she owns.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. I mean it's factually inaccurate what they're chanting, but never mind.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did lol at a bunch of them being specifically told to 'protect Churchill.'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally it takes a few weeks for the machine to kick in and dilute the protest's original message (murdered black man turning into Fawlty Towers being redacted etc.) but this protest seems to have managed it on its own in a matter of days.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why, what are they protesting?

I thought it was always about women feeling suppressed and unsafe, but I admit to reading/watching zero coverage.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I did lol at a bunch of them being specifically told to 'protect Churchill.'
    I'm watching 'World at War' at the moment and given how influential he was in stopping Hitler taking over all of Western Europe while the rest of it was utterly capitulating it's quite incredible how he's become this symbol for all that was wrong in our past.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to have just become anti-police now. Which isn't particularly surprising, considering the thick as pig shit response to the 'vigils'.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I'm watching 'World at War' at the moment and given how influential he was in stopping Hitler taking over all of Western Europe while the rest of it was utterly capitulating it's quite incredible how he's become this symbol for all that was wrong in our past.
    If people were able to hold multiple opinions rather than just going by their strongest emotional response to a given thing then it should be fairly easy for all to agree that yes he was massively influential in the outcome of the war and that he was also a cunt.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter how many Nazis you've repelled if you once wrote or said something that doesn't tick the right boxes in the contemporary ID politics / culture war discourse (I think this applies to basically every white person that lived before MLK's I Have A Dream speech, which, viewed through the aforementioned batshit crazy lens, is by far the most important event possibly in all of human history).

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev outing himself as a Eugenicist.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt there's a single person on this planet that hasn't committed a cancellable offence at some point. I mean, I've never seen the entirety of Dresden ablaze, but I've had some edgy opinions at times.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NARRATIVE is out-doing itself turning concerns about women's safety into generalised anti-police sentiment. We'll move onto police resources being better spent on consent workshops at some point, and then the contemporary campaigning as resource and status positioning cycle is complete.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter how many Nazis you've repelled if you once wrote or said something that doesn't tick the right boxes in the contemporary ID politics / culture war discourse (I think this applies to basically every white person that lived before MLK's I Have A Dream speech, which, viewed through the aforementioned batshit crazy lens, is by far the most important event possibly in all of human history).
    Pretty interesting article from the Economist a few weeks back:

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...on-with-hitler

Nazi parties
    A chronicle of the British establishment’s flirtation with Hitler
    An unexpurgated edition of Chips Channon’s diaries has finally been published

In august 1936 Henry “Chips” Channon and his wife, Lady Honor Guinness, went on an official visit to the Berlin Olympic games along with a bunch of other British grandees. They had a simply wonderful time. They didn’t pull off the ultimate social coup of having dinner with Hitler—the closest they got to the Führer was when he visited the Olympic stadium and “one felt as if one was in the presence of some semi-divine creature”. But the rest of the Nazi elite went out of their way to entertain the visiting Britons.

Listen to this story
    Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Hermann Göring was “flirtatious”, “gay” and “charming”. Frau Göring was “tall”, “handsome” and “nearly naked”. The Ribbentrops’ party lent “dignity to the new regime”. Just as thrilling was the spectacle of daily life. Everyone kept raising their arms and saying “Heil Hitler!” in a thoroughly captivating manner. And what about the rumours of terrible things going on in labour camps? Being a responsible mp Chips took a trip to one such camp and was impressed by what he saw. It looked “tidy, even gay”. The purpose of the camps was to wipe out “class feeling”—not something Chips was normally in favour of getting rid of—and such feeling “has become practically non-existent in Germany”. Chips concluded that “England could learn many a lesson from Nazi Germany”.

These vignettes are all taken from the first of what promises to be three volumes of the diaries of Channon, a rich American who climbed the heights of British society in the 1920s and 1930s and also became a Tory mp. The diaries were first published in 1967 in heavily redacted form: many of the subjects of Chips’s indiscretions were still alive and able to sue. Simon Heffer, a journalist and historian, has taken advantage of the passage of time to produce an unexpurgated edition.

The diaries do more than merely titillate. They demonstrate just how many members of the British upper classes were either infatuated with Hitler or at least regarded him as a useful bulwark against Bolshevism. In one entry, Chips described a visit by his uncle-by-marriage, Lord Halifax, a Tory grandee, to Germany to go fox-hunting with the leading Nazis. “He liked all the Nazi leaders, even Goebbels!…He thinks the regime fantastic, perhaps too fantastic to take seriously. But he is v glad that he went and thinks nothing but good can come of it”. (Halifax almost messed up the occasion by mistaking Hitler for a footman.) The diaries also provide yet more evidence of the vital role Winston Churchill played in saving Britain from the pro-Hitler sympathies of the upper classes and the cynical calculations of appeasing politicians. “That…farceur would stir up trouble anywhere”, Chips wrote, “luckily for England and the peace of Europe he has no following whatsoever in the House [of Commons]”.

It is becoming fashionable on the left to dismiss Churchill as a racist. A vandal spray-painted the word on his statue in Parliament Square. During a recent discussion on “Churchill and race” held in, of all places, Churchill College, Cambridge, panellists competed to denounce him as a racist, white supremacist and eugenicist. Churchill certainly said some repugnant things about race. But by the standards of his time he was relatively moderate: he was much less enthusiastic about eugenics, for example, than many heroes of the left such as Sidney and Beatrice Webb, H.G. Wells, George Bernard Shaw and Harold Laski. He was mercifully free of the common vice of anti-Semitism. And as Channon’s diaries make clear he led the battle against the worst racist in history at a time when other members of his party and class thought labour camps wonderful innovations. ■

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLK's views (not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character and whatnot) go against the "antiracist" dogma, so he will soon be cancelled too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then uncancelled due to the colour of his skin.

You're right though, black folk from the past must be sliding out of fashion, has anyone cancelled Sammy Davis Jr yet for being Jewish?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't MLK go out of fashion when Malcolm X rocked up?

MLK was the voice of the children of former slaves. All he really wanted was for the Jim Crow bollocks to fuck off. Politeness and trying to work with the 'Massa's' was still the name of the game.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he didn’t? Do you think the FBI killed him just because he wanted white people to be polite?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    No he didn’t? Do you think the FBI killed him just because he wanted white people to be polite?
    I meant he was determined to be polite. He wanted freedom to be negotiated. Where as Malcolm X (and those that followed) wanted freedom to be taken and fuck whitey.