Page 158 of 339 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,900 of 16917

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    If you had 10 accidental deaths on your record I reckon you would find a way to absolve yourself of it, in your own mind. What else can you do? You'd end up topping yourself.
    This is pretty much what I was about to post.

Unless you're a socio/psychopath those are the only options.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. Although whatever conclusion you came to so that you could sleep at night, you would also probably keep it to yourself, wouldn't you? And not go on record telling the media you believe the fact that you stayed up all night texting a bird, got in your car, fell asleep at the wheel and inadvertently caused the deaths of ten people to be "fate".

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably came up with that mindset when he went bald and has just adapted it to other unfortunate events.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    True. Although whatever conclusion you came to so that you could sleep at night, you would also probably keep it to yourself, wouldn't you? And not go on record telling the media you believe the fact that you stayed up all night texting a bird, got in your car, fell asleep at the wheel and inadvertently caused the deaths of ten people to be "fate".
    It does bring an unfortunate dose of narcissism to the table, yes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56234900

I'm a bit puzzled by moving country to get out of the limelight, only to give prime time interviews to Oprah and James Cordon, it has to be said.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many millions would those 2 interviews pull in for them?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's astonishing, really. She can act, he's an ex-serviceman. And yet, in the need for self-sufficiency, they plump for that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just makes no sense. They apparently FLED the media, but I now see more of them than ever.

If you couldn't be arsed with the Royal bollocks and just want to live it up in LA with the celebs then just own it. Only a handful of 70+ weirdos would particularly care.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt sorry for them at the time, but they should have just said that they didn't want to do all the royal shit. If you're being hounded by the media and you don't like that and want to change it, you don't then invite Oprah and Corden into your life.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The royal family and Americans don't mix. The royal family is (by necessity for its survival) about austere duty and public service (hence they can't handle having knobheads like Andrew around), whereas America is about glamour and money. Like Wallis Simpson before her, Meghan will have come over here expecting the fairy princess treatment and been absolutely baffled by the cultural differences and by the lack of media fawning. In America everyone with money is structurally protected against most forms of censure. Here we are much more cynical and the press take no prisoners. She'll have decided she hated it, and then decided to move back to the comfortable world of LA without wrecking her marriage, which means Harry coming with her leaving the firm. She then has nothing to do because she's abandoned her career, and she knows nothing else except just to be in the public eye and drawing attention to herself.

'The press', whilst no angels, are just a convenient scapegoat. She also seems to have become a convenient moral pin up girl for the British left, which is a curious one. Really though it's a fable about the massive differences between the US and Britain which are often missed as the former's monoculture extends its tentacles year by year.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can want to be famous on your own terms rather than by proxy via being in the Royal Family. I don't think being famous necessarily means they want the media digging into what Megan's dad thinks about her or some other bollocks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't want to be in the Royal Family then don't marry Prince Harry, or if you must marry Prince Harry, then make him leave it for you.

She wanted to be in the Royal Family but didn't like what it was when she got there and beat a hasty retreat. I'm not sure that is the Royal Family's fault any more or less than it is hers. The two things just aren't compatible.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The press take no prisoners" is just one of those euphemisms for people/a group being cunts, like when somebody is A Character, doesn't Suffer Fools Gladly or they Just Call It Like They See It.

No, as "The Left" would have you believe she hasn't had a hard time of it from the press just because she's a bit foreign and brown to be in our precious family of philandering pro-nonce inbreds. But it's also not true that they haven't been cunts around the whole thing, and switched between acting like the spiteful wounded party and fawning over wedding dresses and babies. They can't moan about fame when they court it on their own terms, they both know how this shit works better than that and presumably don't need the money at this stage. The tabloids shouldn't be digging like mad into somebody's past then gleefully rolling around in it like a pig in shit and then pretending they don't understand why said person might want them to fuck off.

Also anybody who actually wants to be part of the Royal Family wants their head read.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    You can want to be famous on your own terms rather than by proxy via being in the Royal Family. I don't think being famous necessarily means they want the media digging into what Megan's dad thinks about her or some other bollocks.
    Which the press will always continue to do as long as they're both in the spotlight. If they genuinely thought it would stop just because Harry gave up his title, irrespective of what else they did, then they're actual morons.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what you're getting into when you marry Prince Harry. She isn't some poor innocent darling. It's much the same as if one of us normies chose to marry a slaughterhouse worker, we'd have to be prepared for the house to stink of animal guts. Either it's worth it or it isn't, up to you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of discount do they get on Steak do you reckon?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short of actually going and living a private life, like when European royals marry nobodies and get normal jobs/quietly enjoy their millions, ironically their best bet for living a half-way normal life was just being working royals. They would have maintained the widespread public goodwill that they enjoyed until they started moaning (something people forget making it about her being barely black), and they could have bullied/gamed the press to a much greater extent than they can now.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bish is bad news, it was clear since day. Harry will end up in a very dark place in the coming years now that he's chosen her above family.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true all-timer:

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this part of a very special genre of nonsense along with the 'now I suck off dogs for Quavers' one?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56172456

I'd love to know how many women get their faces rearranged off the back of articles like this.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah surely giving away the name of the thing is incredibly counterproductive? Like the thing they have in some bars where it's like "Go to the bar and ask for x" makes sense because that's easy enough to hide what you're doing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56234556

Lol at all the outrage and hand wringing over this, what did they think went on in horse racing?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people in these situations always say 'I apologise for any offence caused'? Is it some legal wriggle that their lawyers tell them to do? Apologise for what you did wrong, not for the offence it caused.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56234556

Lol at all the outrage and hand wringing over this, what did they think went on in horse racing?
    I was wondering the same. Is it really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    You know it must be serious if you actually get sentenced to jail time in Europe. Even if you do serve it 'at home', lol. Fuck knows what you'd have to do to go to prison itself (assuming they exist). Presumably be poor and/or foreign.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cherubs.

A South Australian private school has promised to act on calls for greater cultural awareness training after a video was circulated showing students "lynching" a black baby doll.

The short video, which was posted to social media app Snapchat, shows a group of Trinity College students in uniform laughing as they use hat strings to tie the doll around the neck and hang it from a tree.

The students had been given a black and white baby doll as part of a classroom project, and hung the black doll from a tree in the video.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/elite-so...ing-black-doll

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56241653

That website needs to be reinstated immediately.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Recipe Filter' on Chrome is meant to do the same thing

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it together fellas.

Australia is set to effectively ban a far-right extremist group for the first time with UK-based Sonnenkrieg Division (SKD) to be formally listed as a terrorist organisation.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/neo-nazi...d-in-australia

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cursory Wikipedia search tells me that it's the UK branch of an American (of course) Far Right Group... with 18 members.

There seems to be hundreds of these little groups, mind. As you say, get it together lads.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Dutton swears to us they are dangerous.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a great website. So annoying when you're looking for a recipe online and you have to scroll through someone's life story before getting to the ingredients. Cunts.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "After the death of my first child, this ravioli really taught me how to live."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *insert multivitamin advert here*

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    "After the death of my first child, this ravioli really taught me how to live."

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the Twitter thread and genuinely felt my blood boiling. Most of the attention was about it being a white male taking away income from non-white females, and tagging his employer to try and get him sacked. The world has gone bonkers, and it's past saving.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far be it from me to be a contrarian, but is it that hard to scroll down to where the recipe is? They're the content creator, so if they want to put in 500 words of guff about how their uncle Stuart used to make them lick this ragu off his ballsack then it's up to them. They don't owe you a concise recipe.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binny Shah-Patel says she shares recipes that have a personal connection to her late grandmother.
    You know what recipes have a connection to other people? All of them. It's not fucking special. Do these idiots think food only goes back two generations?

It was shut on a matter of copyright and that's absurd.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far be it from me to be a contrarian, but is it that hard to scroll down to where the recipe is? They're the content creator, so if they want to put in 500 words of guff about how their uncle Stuart used to make them lick this ragu off his ballsack then it's up to them. They don't owe you a concise recipe.
    The recipe is rarely in one place. There will be 4 adverts and 3 pictures between each step. And if you're really lucky, they'll have each step on different pages with snazzy adverts that you have to watch 15 seconds of before being able to read each one.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's how they make their money / stay vaguely solvent. It's better than having to go out and buy a Delia hardback.

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a Netflix/Spotify type thing for recipes where you pay £3/month and get everything in one place on an app. Probably because there's so much great stuff out there gratis, in which case there isn't a problem.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cupboard / kindle full of books that says it isn't.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recipes on the website were only visible to the user who imported them, “similar to if a user had printed the recipe or copied it into a [document]”, he wrote in a series of posts on Twitter.
    The poor guy is being bashed for putting notepad online.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do agree with this. Unfortunately, websites cost money to host and run.

Also, Stuart's ballsack raghu is one of the best.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They obviously have a market and fair play to them, but it remains annoying

In all honesty, the life story is probably more annoying than the adverts. The adverts actually serve a purpose. The unnecessary and made up backstory of how you discovered Moussaka is just obnoxious.

Shut the fuck up about your trip to Santorini with your your Grandad in 1992 and tell me how many cloves of garlic, dickhead.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as I'm too lazy to actually install the Chrome add-on I tend to just hit End now and scroll up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They obviously have a market and fair play to them, but it remains annoying

In all honesty, the life story is probably more annoying than the adverts. The adverts actually serve a purpose. The unnecessary and made up backstory of how you discovered Moussaka is just obnoxious.

Shut the fuck up about your trip to Santorini with your your Grandad in 1992 and tell me how many cloves of garlic, dickhead.
    4 cups.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)