Page 57 of 339 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,850 of 16916

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    The best thing about that 'Alexis' contract is its length. Absolute madness. I'd go as far to say Winston Bogarde country. We (being Liverpool) seem to have come out of it quite well 'only' paying Salah and Van Dijk Ł125k a week.
    With the top, TOP players it will soon get like baseball where you have washed up 39 year olds in the 8th of an 11 year contract on Ł30 million a year being absolutely shite but the team is unable to do anything with them, because the only alternative was letting another team have them to begin with.

Pogba's next contract, for example, with any club, will be one that sees him into his mid 30s on monstrous money.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can't possibly have happened.

How can you be mauled to death by 7 tiny dogs? She looks more likely to have eaten them if anything. The Sun has a slightly more amusing rendition of the story (with one of the little blighters 'charging' police).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44153864

A mum from Sweden has taken drastic steps when a tattoo of her son Kevin's name was spelled wrongly.

To make sure her new ink was accurate, the mum (who wants to be known only as Johanna) decided to officially change five-year-old Kevin's name to Kelvin.

After looking into getting the tattoo removed, Johanna was told it could take up to a year to get the work fully removed.

"After thinking a little, we decided to rename him Kelvin," she says.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard this on the radio today and the report just kept getting better.

So the blokes vape stick thing first exploded and the glass shards penetrated his skull, and then it caught fire and set him on fire. Double dead.

Serves you right for ever smoking.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate those penis pipes and all that smoke them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vaping somehow annoys me more than smoking.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened in my families (and I guess Mellins?) end. It's a bit odd as I always thought of Erdington as the place I would get stabbed not the Sutton Coldfield Mall.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ime=1526646713

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    There's something impressive and terrifying about a volcano, plus you get to play the game of 'will there be more or less of Hawaii' after this eruption?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44027883
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44187836

“The first serious injury has been reported as Hawaii continues to grapple with weeks of volcanic eruptions and lava flow.
    The injured man was sitting on a balcony at his home when "lava spatter" - projectile molten rock - landed on him.”

Fuck. That.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    This can't possibly have happened.

How can you be mauled to death by 7 tiny dogs? She looks more likely to have eaten them if anything. The Sun has a slightly more amusing rendition of the story (with one of the little blighters 'charging' police).
    pitbull mixes, what did you expect? that dog breed should've stopped existing a century ago

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44209141

The rapper invited the woman, who identified herself only as "Delaney", to sing M.A.A.D City during his set at the Hangout Festival in Alabama.

But Kendrick stopped her after she repeatedly used the N-word - which is heard multiple times in his song.

As the crowd reacted angrily, Kendrick told her: "You gotta bleep one single word."

lol.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She appeared not to realise why she had been stopped, and asked: "Am I not cool enough for you, bro?"

That is an epic reply. Though she should have asked for a pass before the song started.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks fake as fuck in the video

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit prissy I think to use a word in your own lyrics and then not accept that other people use it when singing the songs. It always looks a little stupid when white people do that obviously but still. If you don't like the word being used, as an artist maybe don't use it. I can get that it might be hard to change the way you speak every day, but when you write songs you could leave it out then.

She handled the situation well though so fair play to her.

Senior Member Alan Shearer The 2nd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is wrong with people?

Those ratios are fucked up.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno about you guys but I specifically go to rap gigs to hear radio edits.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is an offensive word. Nobody should use it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their mistake was re-appropriating it in the first place.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanna hear white people say the N word, that’s basically all a Hopsin concert is. Was diabolical. He didn’t even seem to mind, pretty much encouraged it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you say it, help make it fashionable and advertise towards market sectors that are heavily white, you have no business getting pissy about it. Especially if you invite someone white up on stage to sing a fucking song that is 90% ‘N word’.

It’s either a stunt, or he’s a fucking mong.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that. Probably the former, and that makes him a massive cunt.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent comment on the topic:

http://variety.com/2018/music/opinio...rd-1202818977/

Of course, the writer is black. You sort of get the feeling a white journalist wouldn't have wanted to publish that for fear of backlash.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'both sides have valid arguments' shit in that article renders it meaningless. Only one side does. It's perfectly reasonable for that girl to assume that having been invited on stage to sing a song chosen by the person inviting her on stage, that it's fine for her to do so. It's deeply unreasonable for that arsehole to have invited her on stage to sing a song he's chosen then go off on one when she gets the lyrics right.

He can fuck right off.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he's referring to the girl when saying that, as he seems to be defending her. Granted, it's such a sensitive subject so you'd expect any journalist to be very PC about it all. But at least the main statement - at least how I interpret it from the title - is stop using the damn word since it's clearly offensive.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read the article?

Response has been mixed. Some have accused the young girl of being insensitive and foolishly failing to understand the potential ramifications of a white person using the N-word. Meanwhile, others have wondered why Lamar didn’t use a more lyrically neutral song for the rap-along while branding him a hypocrite for practicing what he preaches against. I believe both sides have valid points.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that article is just one big fence sit. He might as well be a scared white bloke.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Did you read the article?
    Of course. I was thinking more about this:

If you are going to accept royalties from album sales and concert revenue from both black and white fans, you can’t legitimately expect them to consume your music differently. Would Lamar have reacted the same way to a black fan? Did he really think a starstruck teenage girl who probably has never been in front of such a massive crowd would instinctively know that she was supposed to censor herself when he doesn’t? Is it really fair to have one set of rules for black fans and another for white fans?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is great, if he hadn’t already cringed and bent over backwards to blame her. I mean, she’s a bit of an idiot for thinking that there wouldn’t be some backlash from black people, but that cunt had no place leading the OUTRAGE. And anyone taking any position other than ‘you don’t invite someone on stage to sing a song, then get shitty when they sing it’ is wrong.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I agree with you on that part. I just meant the discussion on the use of the word in general in that article is good. This particular case aside.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was listening to NPR this morning and heard a story about my old hometown:

Lake Worth's alert system is hacked and sends out a warning of a zombie invasion

Matthew Diebel, USATODAY Published 9:22 a.m. ET May 23, 2018 | Updated 9:42 a.m. ET May 23, 2018

Somebody has a lot of explaining to do.

Yes, officials in Lake Worth, Fla., a city next to Palm Beach, are trying to find out who sent out a cellphone alert warning of a zombie attack.

Lake Worth spokesman Ben Kerr told the Palm Beach Post that an independent investigation is underway to determine who was behind the message sent to some 7,880 customers during a 27-minute power outage early Sunday.

During the city’s own investigation officials found that no current or former employees hacked the message to include the warning of an alien invasion, Kerr said.

BREAKING: Lake Worth falsely sends out ‘zombie’ alert during power outage https://t.co/LJOVesWFVUpic.twitter.com/7D5HPQovga

— The Palm Beach Post (@pbpost) May 21, 2018
    “Those messages are pre-prepared,” Kerr added. “There’s literally thousands of them. At some point, some edits were made and that’s what you saw. Someone edited it with a zombie invasion going on.” He told the paper that “no one was fired for it.”

The zany zombie episode began at 1:41 a.m., when a message went out alerting residents to the power cuts but it also warning of a “zombie alert for Lake Worth and Terminus.” Terminus is nowhere near Lake Worth – it’s a reference to the city in the zombie TV show “The Walking Dead.”

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'both sides have valid arguments' shit in that article renders it meaningless. Only one side does. It's perfectly reasonable for that girl to assume that having been invited on stage to sing a song chosen by the person inviting her on stage, that it's fine for her to do so. It's deeply unreasonable for that arsehole to have invited her on stage to sing a song he's chosen then go off on one when she gets the lyrics right.

He can fuck right off.
    That’s silly. There are boundaries in culture and we all know it. If invited to a Scottish wedding I’m not wearing a kilt. If you are one of those inane American idiots rocking up to Ireland pretending you are Irish you look silly. Would you imitate a gay celebrity when talking with them? Personal responsibility is equal if you don’t want to look an idiot in public. White people are such snowflakes.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I not sure your examples equate, if you were invited to a scotch wedding and the invite carried a dress code then you'd feel hard done by if everyone tutted at your kilt when you arrived.

This guy invited a fan to sing one of his songs then got pissy when she did just that. It was his concert, he's in control.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    That’s silly. There are boundaries in culture and we all know it. If invited to a Scottish wedding I’m not wearing a kilt. If you are one of those inane American idiots rocking up to Ireland pretending you are Irish you look silly. Would you imitate a gay celebrity when talking with them? Personal responsibility is equal if you don’t want to look an idiot in public. White people are such snowflakes.
    Neither of which are in any way relevant. It's perfectly reasonable for her to assume that if he's chosen a song with that word in it for her to sing, that in this context it's fine for her to use the word.

To make one of your examples close to apposite, it's like someone inviting you to a Scottish wedding for which kilts are the stated dress code, then tearing strips off you for turning up in one because you should have known it only referred to Scottish people.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King Kunta is a better song anyway and there's less of the N-word in it. Should have gotten her to sing that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, what would be the point of killing her in Russia?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he had a sensible name like Trevor or Geoffrey this would be the most British story ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-44222054

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So she was under the impression that she had parked the car on a street "within a mile and a half" of the hospital, but it was actually in a car park about a minutes walk away? Yeah, I wouldn't be letting her back behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Alex; 23-05-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would they be able to successfully appeal the tickets?
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the vehicle was moved from the original place it was parked.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the best, in America they would be in prison by now and the car would be crushed into a matchbox. All we did was passive aggressively put little notes on it then let them off completely.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of which are in any way relevant. It's perfectly reasonable for her to assume that if he's chosen a song with that word in it for her to sing, that in this context it's fine for her to use the word.

To make one of your examples close to apposite, it's like someone inviting you to a Scottish wedding for which kilts are the stated dress code, then tearing strips off you for turning up in one because you should have known it only referred to Scottish people.
    Sure, I should have said that we all know in-groups use derogatory words about their group to indicate kinship and soften the blow. African Americans, women, homosexuals, the obese, and the comely all do this. Even millennials do it with millennial. We all know we can offend using the terms from an out group position regardless of the source. Familiarity is what gets you over the offense hurdle. The more derogatory the word, the higher the familiarity bar. A crowd of mainly white people from the sjw bastion of Alabama understood this. ThatÂ’s just pretty basic social etiquette.

But this notion that black artists must self censor because it is possible that white teenagers may misread social situations and feel embarrassed is dumb.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you black @mikem?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably just self hating after being in America for too long.

Nobody alive kept anybody else alive as a slave*. Can we stop pretending this happened 5 years ago? It was a fucking horrible period in history, but there’s been 2 world wars and a mass genocide since then, and the worst we say about the perpetrators of that is that they’re a bit grabby with sun-beds for fuck sake. I know there’s been a lot of racism since then and there’s still a fuck load of police brutality over there, but going on about this stuff and throwing up barriers in the faces of well meaning idiots is not helpful.

*well they have, but you know what I mean

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should release censored white person versions of his albums like those shit 'clean' ones you used to be able to get of Eminem singles and the like.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    He should release censored white person versions of his albums like those shit 'clean' ones you used to be able to get of Eminem singles and the like.
    They weren't shit, they were class.

Miles more impressive having different lyrics for radio edits, rather than just censoring it with silence. The "clean" Purple Hills/Pills is probably even better than the dirty one.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purple Hills was the worst.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    They weren't shit, they were class.

Miles more impressive having different lyrics for radio edits, rather than just censoring it with silence. The "clean" Purple Hills/Pills is probably even better than the dirty one.
    Yeah possibly, but eleven year old me was not impressed when my mother (inadvertently, it must be said, since I was one of those absolute legends who was allowed to watch eighteen-rated films and that) brought home the lame My Name Is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Auntie once allowed me and my cousins to crank up Prodigy in the car because she thought ‘Slap my bitch up’ was ‘snap my picture’.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can recall her moaning about was this, which I still skip because it's shit.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    My Auntie once allowed me and my cousins to crank up Prodigy in the car because she thought ‘Slap my bitch up’ was ‘snap my picture’.

Excellent. And if we're talking radio edits that ruin things, Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nothing to Fuck With. There's barely any lyrics left.
    Last edited by Shindig; 23-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.