Page 249 of 339 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299 ... LastLast
Results 12,401 to 12,450 of 16917

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://news.sky.com/story/ryan-gigg...dbutt-12675863

Ryan Giggs assault trial hears intimate love poem he wrote to ex-girlfriend Kate Greville

Oh dear.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other messages, Giggs told Ms Greville he loved her "more than all my Premier League appearances, which is a lot"

Is he actually retarded? Good god.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a wordsmith.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some serious 'Can I borrow a feeling?' vibes.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some fall from grace.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw him referred to as 'former player and ex-Wales manager' earlier, which might explain where United's transfer budget went.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also apparently 'called a team meeting' because 'the spoons were the wrong way round' in the dishwasher.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post

Is he actually retarded? Good god.
    I think the Jury is already back on this charge.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many love poets are brave enough to talk about abs and blowjob eyes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also said the fact he only had one red card in his career was evidence he wasn't a violent person

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love that he thinks "Those pictures you send so I can keep tabs" is somehow romantic, rather than - you know - possessive and controlling to a ridiculous degree.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new favourite bit every time I look, but currently it's 'greatest ever coo'

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62605417

I must admit I'm a big fan of all these blatant knock-offs Russia are replacing the OGs with.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see all these sanctions and withdrawals are really biting.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty great wheeze. Provided you don't go drastically switching ingredients, how hard can it be to replicate with everything already in place?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any job openings to be a 'pro-Putin rapper' in this country? I'm interested.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Tavistock:

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewartic...e-2022a10021ac

The UK's only children's gender identity development service (GIDS), run by the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, is to be sued by "at least a thousand families" who allege that their children were rushed into taking life-changing puberty blocking drugs. As a result they were facing "physical and psychological permanent scarring that will last the rest of these victims’ lifetimes", alleged the law firm involved.
    Is that true? 1,000 families? I ask because it's nowhere near any of the reputable news sites. If so, this whole thing is going to prove to be one of the most fucked up things we've done as a society in modern times.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And "Gender Identity Development Service" sounds like something out of the Mengele playbook.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would like to think that everyone involved in it will have their careers and lives ruined.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's utterly deranged and seems to be nowhere near the BBC - their last article is about the place closing. So it seems that society as a whole is keen to brush this under the carpet.

A centre that performed, what seemingly can only really be described as mass life altering experimentation on children and it's not being widely called out. Again, if true, this story should be everywhere.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nowhere near the BBC because they've been frequently railed against for being transphobic. At some point you can't be bothered with the shouting match.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like a case study in where deferring to minorities and mental cases gets you, which I think ultimately explains the left-wing enthusiasm (and therefore the right-wing cowardice) around it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    On Tavistock:

Is that true? 1,000 families? I ask because it's nowhere near any of the reputable news sites. If so, this whole thing is going to prove to be one of the most fucked up things we've done as a society in modern times.
    It was in the telegraph if that counts as reputable.

Edit, Google
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk › article
    Tavistock gender clinic 'to be sued by 1,000 families' | News | The Times

www.dailymail.co.uk
    Tavistock transgender clinic facing legal action 'from 1000 families'

And to quote the times

Lawyers **expect about 1,000 families** to join a medical negligence lawsuit alleging vulnerable children have been misdiagnosed and placed on a damaging medical pathway.

Not that there is.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/firm-predicts-1000-clients-may-join-gender-identity-clinic-claim/5113419.article

This also says the trust hasn't actually received any communications about any lawsuit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a charm offensive.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post

This material is better than anything Gervais or Coogan ever came up with.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one's not real, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    On Tavistock:

I spent a week on rotation with CAMHS and gender dysphoria was one of the most common presentations. The GIDS service in Devon has a wait time of 2 years for referral, so it is plausible that thousands of families are using the service

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I don't doubt thousands were using it, but a thousand suing? That's horrific.
    Last edited by Yevrah; 21-08-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thousands must be happy with their mutilated sterile kids.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better mutilated and sterile than dead, I suppose.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they the only conceivable options?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet an absolute fuckton of people think they are.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I've no clue how you accomplish the alternatives, but clearly if a thousand families are suing, Tavistock's approach wasn't particularly successful either.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do they do for eating disorders, or these idiots? I don't think they prescribe diet pills and hacksaws.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all in the marketing. As soon as they managed to get "sex and gender are different things" accepted as true it was goodnight to any form of common sense on the issue until legitimate harm had been done.

If they can get "disability and inability are not the same thing" to fly, then we my aswell start handing out guillotines on the NHS for our dismorphic friends.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Transabled”.

I’m not for this world anymore.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this before, but there are definitely some kids with true gender dysphoria for whom changing gender is genuinely life-changing for the better.

I do think for the majority though, it's an expression of other mental distress/illness. Our teenage girls who get admitted for an extended period after suicide attempts or with eating disorders almost unanimously go through certain stages in the early part of their admission. Week 1-2 is kicking off and trashing the place, week 2-3 they break and go all docile, then week 3-4 they change their name +/- gender.

With regards to this clinic, I've not actually been there so I can't say for sure. But usual practice in this sort of situation is that they will offer the options and provide information rather than railroading kids into having hormone blockers. Parent, child and clinician will come to a joint decision about whether to go ahead or not. However many months down the line, parents +/- child decide it was a mistake and need someone to blame...hence suing the clinic. I might be wrong - obviously monsters do exist in medicine - but I think the above is more likely.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all mental health related as far as I can see, and I don't buy the "it prevents suicide" argument either. It's not as if people that have undergone surgery and hormone therapy float through life happily ever after.

It's basically impossible to find stats as all the material is either from the Trans community professing that treatment solves everything, or from religious wing nuts saying it makes everything worse, but - from what I can see - post-treatment trans people still commit suicide above normal levels.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0016885

Obviously you have to wonder how much of that is due to the way they are viewed and treated by society, but it should be enough to make anyone sensible question whether a scalpel is the answer.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 22-08-2022 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It's all mental health related as far as I can see, and I don't buy the "it prevents suicide" argument either. It's not as if people that have undergone surgery and hormone therapy float through life happily ever after.

It's basically impossible to find stats as all the material is either from the Trans community professing that treatment solves everything, or from religious wing nuts saying it makes everything worse, but - from what I can see - post-treatment trans people still commit suicide above normal levels.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0016885

Obviously you have to wonder how much of that is due to the way they are viewed and treated by society, but it should be enough to make anyone sensible question whether a scalpel is the answer.
    Just to be clear, the story about that clinic refers to children being prescribed hormone blocking drugs to prevent the masculinisation/feminisation which would normally come with puberty. It's not talking about kids undergoing surgery as far as I can tell.

You can't be prescribed cross-sex hormones (hormones of the sex opposite to your birth sex to bring about development of those sexual characteristics) until you are 16 and you can't have surgery until you've been on cross-sex hormones for 12 months (so 17, and legally a consenting adult).
    Last edited by randomlegend; 22-08-2022 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I've said this before, but there are definitely some kids with true gender dysphoria for whom changing gender is genuinely life-changing for the better.

I do think for the majority though, it's an expression of other mental distress/illness. Our teenage girls who get admitted for an extended period after suicide attempts or with eating disorders almost unanimously go through certain stages in the early part of their admission. Week 1-2 is kicking off and trashing the place, week 2-3 they break and go all docile, then week 3-4 they change their name +/- gender.

With regards to this clinic, I've not actually been there so I can't say for sure. But usual practice in this sort of situation is that they will offer the options and provide information rather than railroading kids into having hormone blockers. Parent, child and clinician will come to a joint decision about whether to go ahead or not. However many months down the line, parents +/- child decide it was a mistake and need someone to blame...hence suing the clinic. I might be wrong - obviously monsters do exist in medicine - but I think the above is more likely.
    I think a lot of people don't realise that it's a long process and not the first thing offered to someone.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm sure it will takes months if not years before you even get seen at that place, nonetheless started on treatment.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not specifically talking about teenagers. Although I am opposed to fucking around with their hormones, be it via "blockers" or Uno-reverse card medication.

I mean anyone. I just can't see that the appropriate reaction to someone with a mental health issue is to start cutting bits off of them. Especially when it doesn't result in happy, functioning people down the line anyway.

I don't know what the actual solution is, I just don't think the scientific community do either.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you'd imagine with some (if not all) of these people have went down the psychiatric route and got nothing out of it. Admittedly, if you're 16-24 and on the spectrum (all of the claimants I've seen with gender dysphoria are also claiming for autism or global learning difficulties. All of them.) you're going to struggle to wrap your head around it.

I also think the internet's a terrible force as it builds a community around it. Peer pressure for very young people to make what should effectively be a last resort. Not to mention the potential for grooming. I'd hate to navigate through that minefield.
    Last edited by Shindig; 22-08-2022 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The social media aspect is my main concern. This stuff is fashionable these days. Being a Depressed, Trans, Vegan is starting to feel like this generations answer to Grungers.

I'm not saying they're all making it up, but I am absolutely convinced that there will be people going through treatment that aren't actually Trans and they're going to end up regretting it when they grow the fuck up.

The sad part is that it is going to impact on legitimate Trans people.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And neither side really wants to debate the other. Like, I saw that trans World Champion cyclist on the Daily Show mention there was no 'precedent for a transwoman to be overpowered in a woman's sport'. She's a World Champion in a woman's sport. In interviews, that jersey is proudly displayed in full view. Trevor Noah didn't have the bottle to be "Woah. HOLD UP! There's a discussion to be had here. You ARE the precedent." Those discussions really need to happen without fear of being called a bigot. Do transpeople even have an answer when that discussion finally happens? Does anybody else?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many of these kids are being raised in non-traditional households.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    I wonder how many of these kids are being raised in non-traditional households.
    No correlation in my anecdotal experience.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    And neither side really wants to debate the other. Like, I saw that trans World Champion cyclist on the Daily Show mention there was no 'precedent for a transwoman to be overpowered in a woman's sport'. She's a World Champion in a woman's sport. In interviews, that jersey is proudly displayed in full view. Trevor Noah didn't have the bottle to be "Woah. HOLD UP! There's a discussion to be had here. You ARE the precedent." Those discussions really need to happen without fear of being called a bigot. Do transpeople even have an answer when that discussion finally happens? Does anybody else?
    The discussion is a nonsense. They (M to F) do have an advantage, you would have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

There are a tiny number of Trans athletes and they have gone from being mundane males to record breaking women. There are precisely zero F to M trans athletes doing the same. We're only pissing about pretending there's any doubt because people are scared to offend.