User Tag List

Page 247 of 339 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,350 of 16913

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171 is it just going up a grand every 6 months forever now?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expected to drop after that but media conveniently leaving that out of their reporting.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stagflation will be incredible. Tens of millions will suddenly have no disposable income.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Expected to drop after that but media conveniently leaving that out of their reporting.
    Isn't it expected to drop by something like 2% in April and if that forecast is as undercooked as all of the others then it'll actually rise by another 5-10%.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    The stagflation will be incredible. Tens of millions will suddenly have no disposable income.
    I know it's the producers making the money rather than the suppliers, but (in the absence of any other sensible suggestions) we need a wealth tax somewhere in the chain now. They can have some back when this all unwinds if needs be, but you simply can't expect people to be paying £500+ a month more on their utility bills and mortgages without experiencing some form of societal breakdown.

Boris has clearly had a mini-tanty and won't do anything until a new leader is appointed (which may well be a blessing), but with that in mind the Tories need to end the charade this week and appoint a leader immediately. I really don't think we're that far away from looting and the like if the path we're on continues.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interest rates people should just have to eat, because they're ten years overdue and if you can't afford them well tough tits; but I sympathise with the energy bills because I would have chucked Ukraine under the bus years ago, so the government should be helping people there.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I know it's the producers making the money rather than the suppliers, but (in the absence of any other sensible suggestions) we need a wealth tax somewhere in the chain now. They can have some back when this all unwinds if needs be, but you simply can't expect people to be paying £500+ a month more on their utility bills and mortgages without experiencing some form of societal breakdown.

Boris has clearly had a mini-tanty and won't do anything until a new leader is appointed (which may well be a blessing), but with that in mind the Tories need to end the charade this week and appoint a leader immediately. I really don't think we're that far away from looting and the like if the path we're on continues.
    I went to Sainsburys in Southend earlier and they had their steaks in security cases ( ), so shoplifting is clearly on the rise at least.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 09-08-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even expect the first lot of looting to be on the basis of need, more hoodlums sensing an opportunity to make some mischief, but if you genuinely can't afford food, why wouldn't you take it if all hell is breaking loose around you and the opportunity arises?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don't understand why people struggle for food with self-service checkouts and supermarket security the way it is. I mean either you have some very misguided morals or just no brain.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62483770

100,000 people signed up for don't pay, a thirty fold increase, in what, a week? Obviously who knows how many of them won't pay, but the tinderbox is catching fire.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this might do something/crystallise into a new party the unions could switch their funding to since Labour seem to have forgotten their purpose.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nationalisation.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nationalisation has also been a bag of shit. It just needs a stronger government to take some of these companies that are taking the absolute piss to task.

Oh and Lynch absolutely needs to get into politics.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been discussing recently and I really wouldn’t be surprised to see riots come winter. We’re sleepwalking into unrest.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post

Hopefully this might do something/crystallise into a new party the unions could switch their funding to since Labour seem to have forgotten their purpose.
    Yeah, further fracturing of the left is not particularly helpful.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely on course to happen. We've another month of Boris doing nothing and two less than ideal candidates pissing about for God knows what reason before we even get anyone in power who can make a decision.

Meanwhile, there seems to be derision at the ideas Truss and Sunak are putting forward to solve it, but absolutely no one is addressing the elephant in the room that is Ukraine, on the day their leader says the war must end with Crimea being taken back. I get he needs to talk these things up, but even still, this is utter lunacy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liz Truss laid the problem bare yesterday when she was talking about which actions or inaction would cost them the least votes. That's all these people care about. Votes. They're not actually trying to solve the problem.

Then she made the "Gordon Brown Economics" comment which is perhaps one of the stupidest statements ever made. She is a genuine retard.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that on Daily Mail today. Some bollocks about this being a Gordon Brown mess. For fuck sake, the twat has been out of office for 12 years. I personally think the Labour Party are a complete load of shite but I’ll be voting for them in 2024. This Tory party is genuinely shambolic.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to see how inaction will cost them the least amount of votes. Even the Daily Mail crew are turning over this one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    I saw that on Daily Mail today. Some bollocks about this being a Gordon Brown mess. For fuck sake, the twat has been out of office for 12 years. I personally think the Labour Party are a complete load of shite but I’ll be voting for them in 2024. This Tory party is genuinely shambolic.
    She was saying that taxing people and giving it back to them is what Gordon Brown would do, seemingly unaware that she is describing the entire Benefits System.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tory leadership thing is parodical nonsense because of who/what the electorate is. What they do after winning will be the acid test. The problem is that for some reason the UK governing classes think that August doesn't exist as a month, so we'll lose crucial time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Archiac rules like not having to work your contracted days off.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    She was saying that taxing people and giving it back to them is what Gordon Brown would do, seemingly unaware that she is describing the entire Benefits System.
    That is her point. It's not much use in the short-term, but, generally speaking, moving away from having to subsidise energy that is in large part deliberately expensive would be a sensible thing to do.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Lynch absolutely needs to get into politics.
    Someone somewhere right now is going through everything he's ever said about Israel/Palestine in case he does.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That is her point. It's not much use in the short-term, but, generally speaking, moving away from having to subsidise energy that is in large part deliberately expensive would be a sensible thing to do.
    Sure. I mean in general, having a society where employment pays enough for people to actually live off would be great, and we should definitely push in that direction. I would argue that it's this party that's lead us into the situation where people in fulltime employment are still needing food banks, but that's not for now.

Regardless. Taxing people that can afford to keep their lights on, to help people that can't afford to have their lights on, is not some kind of mad Gordon Brown SELL ALL THE GOLD masterclass. It's a short term necessity as more and more people get sucked beneath the breadline. If they don't do it, then The Yevrah Riots are nailed on.

Or just stop the energy companies from taking the piss, but they're Party donors and old school mates, so lol.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 10-08-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely no chance this country riots over gas bills. Throw a day off into the mix, 'turn your freezer off overnight for the NHS', and eighty per cent of people will be lining up to get bummed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d like to point out I didn’t say riots, but I think there’s a common misconception about us being peak humans and having left all that shit behind us, which is, to be frank, horseshit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m saying riots. I think shit will hit the fan this winter when inflation goes through the roof and you’re paying £11 for a Mars bar. You can only take the piss out of people for so long before they lose it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we classing what happened in London last decade as riots? I was thinking that sort of shit.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is that bag of rice worth now?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's those texts from GPs and articles from Guardian soft shites about people losing their rag over more and more recently. Anecdotal evidence in the past month has seen me witness two occasions of aggression in everyday envrionments I'd never seen in approximately the 10 years prior to it. Bring it the fuck on

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we classing what happened in London last decade as riots? I was thinking that sort of shit.
    Yeah, those were definitely riots. I reckon it could get worse than that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't those type of riots tend to be provoked by some kind of flashpoint? This would be more like simmering unhappiness, and unemployment remains extremely low so you don't have the conditions where there are a load of angry young men sitting around with nothing to do.

I would more foresee something like autumn 2008 where everything goes to shit, the government has to bail us all out and various villains like Fred 'the Shred' are created from the energy company bosses. If they don't bail us out it could get more interesting, but I think the population is just too inert to do anything terribly revolutionary.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’d definitely need a larger than life relatable figurehead to provoke the initial riots because we just don’t have our shit together like the French when it comes to things like this.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah just wait for one of the blacks to die of cold and they'll lead the way for you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or for the Septics to do it first. That would get people rioting even if there was nothing wrong here.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a new Captain Tom to keep it together. Squadron Leader Steve, wearing five jumpers and eating non-brand cereals to save gas.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    We’d definitely need a larger than life relatable figurehead to provoke the initial riots because we just don’t have our shit together like the French when it comes to things like this.
    Jack Monroe at the front of that fucking queue ...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Jack Monroe at the front of that fucking queue ...
    She already shit her pants when that Dont Pay account started tweeting her like she could be their mascot.

The entire framework is a shambles, now they are saying they direct debits will be going up by the end of the month instead of October. What is the point of these agreed dates and caps if they are meaningless? Surely the suppliers/providers should be liable for fines if they breach these dates?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all a bit of a con.

- They ask customers to supply meter readings so their bill is accurate.
    - Said bill is never accurate. Even if you supply readings, the company prefers to base bills on their own estimates. Customers tend to get overcharged because the energy companies can go to their shareholders with the "NUMBER UP, BUSINESS GOOD!"
    - Quietly pay back the excess at the end of the year, assuming the customers haven't ran themselves into debt over money they didn't need to pay in the first place.

I'm £200 in credit on a tariff I only started last month. How arse backwards is that?
    Last edited by Shindig; 10-08-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct debit is indeed a con. Really we should all just pay for what we use each month. The only problem with that is now a winter month could be about £500 and a lot of people won't save the money for it after enjoying £50p/m summers.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel with the past few days yielding a new, even higher cap possibility that we're now in the realms of just being prepped so when they announce it as a shade under £4k everyone just accepts it without protest because they were expecting worse and the Tories cling on to power again.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone set up a thinktank/consultancy and estimate £6k and watch those clicks and validations come in.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-62503903

Fucking hell, the stuff of nightmares.

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with early onset dementia a few years ago and was still occasionally driving, and this is exactly the sort of thing that I was terrified of happening. In the end I told my father-in-law that I'd tip off the police if he continued to let her drive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gran has recently had her car taken away from her (by my father and uncle) as it’s clear she’s developing dementia.

She’s not happy about it, but stories as the above are exactly why unfortunately it needs to happen.

Horrid.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Yeah, further fracturing of the left is not particularly helpful.
    The mainstream part of the "left" love to slowly shift further and further to the right and then blame actual left wing people for fracturing the left and letting the Tories in because they won't pull down their pants and let Keir shove his floppy centrist up their arses. You need some amount of compromise, sure, but it's hardly being outrageous corbynite Marxists to think the current Labour party is too far the other way.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    The mainstream part of the "left" love to slowly shift further and further to the right and then blame actual left wing people for fracturing the left and letting the Tories in because they won't pull down their pants and let Keir shove his floppy centrist up their arses. You need some amount of compromise, sure, but it's hardly being outrageous corbynite Marxists to think the current Labour party is too far the other way.
    No, but it is beyond silly to think that the solution is ANOTHER left wing party. Why not just invent another 15 so the Tories can go ahead and win with 10% of the total vote?

If we had PR, fill your boots. But under FPTP all this shit does is guarantee more Tory governments.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The labour right need to be crushed. They're an obstacle to any sort of progressive party in this country. I'm not just saying start more parties willy-nilly. The unions should withdraw their funding (and put it elsewhere) and let the current labour party wither and die because it's not fit for purpose.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unworkable in anything but the long term. There are staunch Labour Voters who will not vote for anyone else. And if they had to - after their party had been CRUSHED - it would be unlikely to be for some new kid on the block. They'd go Lib Dem or something.

The Tories greatest success has been stopping the likes of UKIP and The BNP in their tracks. They appear to be the only ones that appreciate that this is a 2 party system in reality, no matter how much the left wants to pretend otherwise.

But yeah, fuck it, let's argue over whether Labour are the right degree of lefty-cunt, rather than worrying about getting the corrupt right wing cunts that have spent the last 10 years doubling the wealth divide out of power.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 12-08-2022 at 03:32 PM.