User Tag List

Thread: Squash

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squash

Anyone play?

Played last night for the second time, it's a really great game, burns some amount of calories! Legs and glutes are killing today which is always a good sign.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't played in a while but played quite a lot until about a year ago. It's fucking brilliant, I love it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its so good, I'm only playing once a week but really enjoying it. Can't wait to hopefully get half decent at it and get some monster rallies on the go.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played squash at the club level at Duke (junior varsity); I'm alright.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play but most of my shots are tennis influenced, so I use topspin and drop shots and play crosscourt all the time. I don't really want to change and play properly because it's fun.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squash is such an '80s businessman sport. You're almost obligated to play it in overly tight short shorts and be bald. It's quite entertaining but I'd assumed its decline in popularity was down to the fact that it is (probably) so clearly bad for you in so many ways - high impact on the knees, high intensity on the heart, casual risk of losing your teeth at any moment etc.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played about 3 times a week when I lived in Birmingham, but haven't been able to find a good club here. I worked my way from division 11 to division 2 just before I quit, so I was starting to get pretty decent. I actually really miss it. I dread to think what a mess I'd be if I played now. I haven't played since the morning of my wedding day.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to play a bit with friends at uni. I really enjoyed it. I looked before to see if there were any clubs around here but there don't seem to be. I'd love to get back to it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I played was 2 years ago at Centre Parcs. I thought that I was going to die after about 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I play but most of my shots are tennis influenced, so I use topspin and drop shots and play crosscourt all the time. I don't really want to change and play properly because it's fun.
    Presumably not as catastrophic as all my tennis shots being cricket influenced.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Presumably not as catastrophic as all my tennis shots being cricket influenced.
    Probably not.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm full of the tennis shots too.

Playing for an hour burns up to 1000 calories as well which is no mean feat.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to absolutely love squash, but then I strained some ligaments in my knee, and it hasn't quite been the same since. Ageing.

I do need to get back into it at some stage.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm potentially even sorer today, can feel the muscles in my abdomen for the first time in about 5 years.

What a game

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former badminton player, I used to try and flick my wrist to hit shots when I first started, which was just disastrous.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played a few times a year or so ago and loved it, but nobody seems to play and I don't like strangers. I'd love to play badminton again too. Not tennis though as I'm intimidated by having to try a proper serve.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah squash is definitely a lot easier for amateurs than tennis, I'd spend more time trying to find the ball and get it over the net in tennis.

At least with squash, you're contained in the court so it's really fast paced. There's also something really satisfying about smashing a ball off a wall.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a simple game with not much equipment needed, I found tennis strangely inaccessible to the layman in that you spend as much time running to get the ball between points as you do running around the court. I say this as a golf devotee, but still.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Me and a friend booked a tennis court a few years ago and it was a massive waste of time. Every time either one of us put any power into a shot, it either hit the net or won the point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're supposed to move to the centre of the court.

Played tennis a few days ago actually. I've played quite a bit over the summer but all my friends are shit so it was boring. Found someone who's at about my level though - I'm probably the better player but there's not that much in it - so we said we'll make it a regular thing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still a massive waste of time, at least with something like squash you are going to be able to hit the wall more often than not and get some momentum up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah tennis is definitely more chilled out.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been having tennis lessons . It's enjoyable, but it's a group thing and I'm not sure one hour a week is really enough. I'll play a nice shot and then five rubbish ones trying to do the same thing again.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually never played squash, though a few of my friends also praise it when ever it comes up. Badminton is indeed great and I think I will try to get back to that this fall as I only have futsal/football to worry about anymore.