Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap is exactly why it's brilliant.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Viewed an amazing property this morning. It's on the market for offers in the region of £300k. I'm presuming the sellers would be chuffed with a bid on the nose? In an ideal world I'd like to secure it for £295k.
    Went with a bid of £300k in the end. Turns out someone else had exactly the same idea, only they've pipped me to the post by having a larger deposit.

Absolute cunts.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think that would matter when the seller would end up with the same amount anyway. Do you pay the seller the deposit directly over there or something?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably seen as more likely to get a mortgage/there be less chance of problems if you are borrowing less.

Gutting.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seller, or their agent, should never know that information really.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My flat has brown wood internal doors and I want to paint them white, the same colour as the walls

What’s my best strategy here?

Do I need to give them a bit of a sand with a sandpaper before painting? Or can I just what some paint over the top?

They seem a bit glossy.

Let’s pretend I asked this question before whapping on with some cupboard doors… debating whether not sanding first has been a disaster.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy some white doors.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    My flat has brown wood internal doors and I want to paint them white, the same colour as the walls

What’s my best strategy here?

Do I need to give them a bit of a sand with a sandpaper before painting? Or can I just what some paint over the top?

They seem a bit glossy.

Let’s pretend I asked this question before whapping on with some cupboard doors… debating whether not sanding first has been a disaster.
    Give them a light sand, that'll help the paint key to the door if it's gloss/satin. Then get a decent undercoat on.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to do the same, but a pro painter informed me the wood texture, would struggle to hold the paint. I Need before and after images @Foe

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I’m going to get away with it. It’s an absolute faff though requiring multiple coats.

I’ve abandoned my plans to do all the internal doors, and instead I’ve just done the bedroom cupboard doors. I’ve long wanted rid of some of the wood effect furniture I inherited when I moved into this flat, and this week has forced me into making that change.

Hopefully when I try and sell this place, the fact it “looks” quite clean and modern will help. New builds are all whites and greys, and whilst I’m sure as shit not replacing the wooden floors, if I can whack some white furniture in there and make it look decent then maybe some young professional will fancy a swing.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Buy some white doors.
    Have you ever hung a door? It’s solid.

Mine will have 200 layers of paint on before I buy anymore new ones.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to hang a door at my mum's place on my own and thought it'd take about 30 minutes. It was a fucking nightmare.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, don't try to hang the doors yourself (or buy cheap ones) in much the same way as don't try to paint a wooden door. It can be done, but the effort required outweighs the cost of alternative options.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone here who owns a flat recommend an insurer? I don't have any contents worth insuring, but I would like to be covered in case the washing machine leaks through the floor (say). Every mainstream insurer I've tried just says check your building insurance, but that only covers structural issues.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Admiral home insurance and they have various options, sadly I didn't choose the one that covers Surrey Police going through your front door with a sledgehammer.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contents insurance, life insurance, income protection...fuck it all off.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home insurance in particular is the biggest scam. Leaking roof? Rising damp? Tornado demolished your conservatory? Sorry mate, we don't cover wear and tear or acts of god.

Waste of money.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 05-12-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Can anyone here who owns a flat recommend an insurer? I don't have any contents worth insuring, but I would like to be covered in case the washing machine leaks through the floor (say). Every mainstream insurer I've tried just says check your building insurance, but that only covers structural issues.
    If it’s a leasehold flat your service charge will normally include buildings cover.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lukey boy, talk to me. I'm being offered a B2L for 5 years at 1.7%. I'll obviously come out the other side of it in 2027 looking like Elon Musk such is the level of free money on offer with that madness but a return to their SVR projection has my repayments more than doubling. What's the likelihood I may actually be tied to paying such rates post 2027 because it ain't pretty.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Lukey boy, talk to me. I'm being offered a B2L for 5 years at 1.7%. I'll obviously come out the other side of it in 2027 looking like Elon Musk such is the level of free money on offer with that madness but a return to their SVR projection has my repayments more than doubling. What's the likelihood I may actually be tied to paying such rates post 2027 because it ain't pretty.
    Rates good what’s the arrangement fee on it? With the SVR you fix it in five years time. I’m assuming it’s about 4.5%? There’s a chance interest rates could be that high in five years time anyway. But, what you have to remember is the impact of rental increases during the next 5 years also.

Will having this push you into being a higher rate taxpayer? If so you need to factor that in. All well and good paying an interest rate of fuck all but if you are paying 40% on the income you may as well not bother and buy the property via a limited company instead.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Factor in going to the gulag one day too, you fucking leech.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Factor in going to the gulag one day too, you fucking leech.
    I’ve just bought a BTL in my home town for 102k I’ve got to come up with 40k all in to get it bought and decorated.

A mid 20’s couple could get away with needing 7k to buy it and it’s what would have been seen as a decent starter home 20 years ago. But they don’t want it they want the big detached house with the drive and the garden and everything else.

I bought my first house 11 years ago 2 streets over as a starter house so I could pay 600 a month off the mortgage rather than 600 to a landlord because I saw that if I saved the deposit and then paid the mortgage off for 3 or 4 years I could buy somewhere nicer which is what I did. Not enough people want to do that now they’d rather spend 300/400 a month on a car because it makes them look good. I see it every single fucking day.

The housing market in the UK is shite but it’s not just landlords who are the problem no matter what Corbyn and his mates say.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £2k product fee and £100 valuation (adding it all onto the mortgage). All joking aside I won't be making anything from it all but if I end up having to pay those 4.44% rate repayments I'll be in tears. I suspect so will the rest of the market though so we can sail in the sea of tears hopefully.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    If it’s a leasehold flat your service charge will normally include buildings cover.
    It's share of the freehold, and our building insurance is things like the roof blowing off or the walls falling down. It doesn't cover 'escape of water' or whatever it is through your own stuff.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lukey boy, we are at the stage where we've secured the house and instructing solicitors. Deposit has been met and proof of funds should be fine for that. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware these cunts want the SDLT paid to them at same time. I haven't been asked for source of funds for SDLT element [yet?]. Plan is to get my bro or someone to take out a loan for it, give me it, me pay them and then I'll pay off the loan. Will they ask for source of funds for the SDLT element? Any issues if I just say bro is gifting me it?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of work for a cave.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cave network

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lukey boy, we are at the stage where we've secured the house and instructing solicitors. Deposit has been met and proof of funds should be fine for that. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware these cunts want the SDLT paid to them at same time. I haven't been asked for source of funds for SDLT element [yet?]. Plan is to get my bro or someone to take out a loan for it, give me it, me pay them and then I'll pay off the loan. Will they ask for source of funds for the SDLT element? Any issues if I just say bro is gifting me it?
    They won’t ask for proof of funds for the stamp duty they don’t care where it comes from. I’ve seen people stick it on their credit card before.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You glorious bastard. Although how would credit cards work, can you transfer money from them to a solicitor's account?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went with a bid of £300k in the end. Turns out someone else had exactly the same idea, only they've pipped me to the post by having a larger deposit.

Absolute cunts.
    It fell through.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You glorious bastard. Although how would credit cards work, can you transfer money from them to a solicitor's account?
    No just transfer it to your account and then transfer it to the solicitors.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we had this discussion in here previously so apologies. I'm not clued up on credit cards so was unaware you could transfer from them to a bank account.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’ll end well. Worked a treat here.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing that our interest rates never recovered from 2008 and we still managed to learn absolutely nothing from it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how relatively affordable your homes are.

#vancouver

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must ensure that you have a comprehensive building insurance policy in place from the date of exchange of contracts. If you have a policy in place at the moment, we would be grateful if you could provide us with a copy of the policy, if not we would advise you to investigate the cost and availability of insurance.

What shit is this? I presume I didn't have to do this for my gaff as it's a flat so building insurance was included? How do I best go about arranging this?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go to any of the comparison sites. Or if you're using a broker for your mortgage, they'll probably be able to sell you insurance too.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My broker (L&C) put me through to the usual twat who tries to sell life/income protection insurance by talking about how likely you are to get cancer tomorrow but when I asked them about this, they had no interest. Strange, woulda thought it's just another process they can easily insert themselves into for some free money.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange. Mine harassed me for ages with their shitty quotes that they must have been creaming a ton of commission off. I just went to a comparison website and got a cheaper one.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a special place in hell reserved for solicitors.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A special place with a massage chair and a deluxe coffee machine.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had any dealings with indemnity insurance? Building regs are amiss and I'm about to cave heads in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We sort of did buying our place. Surveys threw up a contaminated land warning (it's build on the site of a former marzipan factory / almond processing facility, of all things) and to solve the issue properly would have involved massive back and forth with the council and actually getting them to investigate / rule it out. As no one else seemed to have had this issue and the sellers seemed to know nothing about it, I think we ended up paying about £200 for some kind of 25-year indemnity policy.

Some friends of mine had to get indemnity insurance when they bought their flat as the previous owner had done something in contravention of planning permission so they are indemnified against any beef that should arise from their seller's work ever becoming an issue.

In both cases, our conveyancer provided quotes for indemnity insurance and we basically just signed and reclined.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had any dealings with indemnity insurance? Building regs are amiss and I'm about to cave heads in.
    It doesn't normally cost too much and you would expect the seller to pay for it potentially. But, for what it costs it's not normally worth falling out over. Just covers you in the future if the council come knocking and say something isn't right with whatever has been extended on the property.

The only thing you will have when it comes to selling is unless you have sorted out whatever the issue is you will also need to look at getting indemnity insurance in place on selling. It happens all the time.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gents. I'll organise the survey and see what's thrown up. I'm guessing the issue could be anything from minor to huge?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, could just be that they built it in line with the planning permission but just never bothered to get it signed off by building control. Or it could be that they didn't stick to the planning and then because of that they never got it signed off because they knew they hadn't complied.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had our buyers solicitor kick up a fuss because we didn't have the planning permission documents for the extension built 25 years, and 4 owners ago. Our solicitor ended up getting shirty with them and phoning the buyer direct, because if the structure is more than 10 years old, it doesn't even matter if it was built illegally. There's nothing the Council can do about it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get free advice from somewhere if you are married and a first time buyer, to find out how much you can get? You can go to your bank?