Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2529

Thread: The House Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    £262k knocked back. The estate agent advised the offer isn't a million miles away. A thinker.
    £265k I would say. But, either right at the end of today or tomorrow so they know you've had to think about it. If they then knock it back ask the agent want they want to get it across the line as then they can have that conversation with the seller.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just phoned around Solicitors and Estate Agents and accomplished more in 30 minutes than they have in 2 weeks.

All the searches are back, we're just waiting for a few queries and we're ready to exchange. Get on with it you cunts.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The house has had an offer £11k over asking so we’ve accepted it. It’s enough that we can offer on ones we’ve looked at before selling the flat, which is very useful.
    Had an offer on the flat now, it’s got another viewing on Saturday before I decide what to do.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving really is a massive headache. Homeless man might be onto something...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda. I'm still figuring out if I can get away without any extra boxes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put an offer in on a house today. The downstairs was huge! Upstairs less so, but the price means we’ll have a fair chunk of change left to extend upstairs (downstairs has already been done) so fingers crossed.
    Still got to view some more places tomorrow and Monday too.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw another on Monday that we liked even more. Offered and got a call today for our final offer, told them we had already put that in and couldn’t go higher. Got accepted!

Accepted both offers on our two properties too, and had a mortgage offered so think we’re set!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £265k secured the deal. Broker's now on with the decision in principle. 3.02% for 2 fixed years, 3.29% for 5 fixed years. Works out at around £40 difference.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £265k secured the deal. Broker's now on with the decision in principle. 3.02% for 2 fixed years, 3.29% for 5 fixed years. Works out at around £40 difference.
    10% deposit. Probably should go 2 years on that at that rate as once you get to 85% LTV your looking at rates around 2.3/2.4% which would make a big difference to your payments in two years time and gives you some flexibility.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removals firm booked, Broadband and phone sorted. No need for an engineer to come out and I'm getting a better package in the new post code. Everything's coming up me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much on average should I be looking at for solicitor fees and a survey?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our solicitors It's about a grand each for the sale and purchase I think.

With the Survey I think it varies massively depending on what one you have done. From £3-400 for a quick kick of the tyres to over a grand for a proper check know everything.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much on average should I be looking at for solicitor fees and a survey?
    Solicitors looking at about 1500-2k on that purchase price I would say anything over that you are getting overcharged.

Survey depends what you are looking for. Full structural at that price would be around 1k I would think. A homebuyers about 5-600 quid.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seller has had the balls to get into me via the estate agent saying he wants things hurried up, when the reason it didn't go through months ago is because him and the divs who run the freehold don't have things like acceptable accounts and asbestos certificates. My solicitor says they either need to sort a whole load of issues out (which, within reason, I would be prepared to wait for), otherwise nobody will sign it off for a mortgage, so this is clearly not happening.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get their mobile number and don them with a fact missile.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they want the deposit and first month's rent there before I sign on Monday, they should've let me know before this afternoon Branch shut and so is the helpline. And the branch in the town I'm moving to has been closed indefinitely.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently our buyer's buyer is all set with everything in place, just the searches or surveys to come through this week. All the solicitors are saying that end of June is doable which I find hard to believe, but if it actually happens we'd need to get removals sorted. Is it even possible to sort that with such short notice? I assumed they'd need ages, particularly with the stamp duty window closing and everyone rushing to get sorted

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to sort removals at short notice as they won't take a booking without a confirmed completion date. We got 3 companies round to quote and now we're just waiting for our date so we can book one (if they're not all booked already). It's a pain in the arse.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were really stuck couldn't you just hire a van and do it yourself?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sorted my removals firm out with less than a week to spare. You'll be fine.

I've just been given a curveball. I had planned to get some stuff across before tomorrow but the landlord gave me the wrong key. He's convinced he hasn't but I reckon he's given me the back door and locked the front with his set. A theory I'd have loved to test out but the back gate was also locked. He's moving some stuff out this evening so I'm meeting him later to sort it out.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah good that sounds reassuring, previous move we booked in a decent amount of time ahead as it was a build completion so less dependant on other factors.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of the companies are very flexible too. One of the blokes that came round said he has casual labourers available at a minutes notice and just rents extra vans if they're already booked up and another job comes up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people buying ours weren't fussed about the short notice because they're just going to hire a van, move a few bits and otherwise buy everything new and sell all their existing furniture. What the fuck

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still holding out hope the previous tenant's left their fridge freezer and washing machine. By the sounds of it, the previous tenant's only left stuff in the spare bedroom. I should take my washing machine but the movers sound a bit tight on time. With the other flat being refurbed, they've just moved the fridge and washer out of that place. It would save me a few hundred, if it got there in one piece.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to take my bed, but our removal men look tired so I'll just sleep on the floor.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    If you were really stuck couldn't you just hire a van and do it yourself?
    One of life's worst experiences.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saved £800 by doing the move myself. Hired a Luton van which I filled up the night before.

The most expensive removal quote was £1300 for a three bed semi with 4 miles between the two houses and good access both ends.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post

I was going to take my bed, but our removal men look tired so I'll just sleep on the floor.
    I should probably fill you in. I arranged it and then the next day he rang me back as if we hadn't had that conversation. He cottoned on and then re-confirmed he was actually going ahead with it. Today he texted me twice trying to rearrange. Then texted a third time to say, "Uh, sorry. Nevermind." I'll stick the bolts in tonight and see if he takes it. If it makes it, it's a bonus.

To spice things up even further, I had the right key. The lock is a problem.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving house yourself is filth and should be avoided. We did it last time and it was horrible, also been tricked into doing it twice for my brother in law (by which I mean he leaves it for his elderly parents to do for him so we end up helping so neither of them dies doing it). Last time he hired a removal company, told us it was all in hand. Claimed that they just come in and pack up all your stuff deliver it to the new address. Wasn't happy when we pointed out they probably expected him to pack and they just move it, he seemed to think they were going to rock up and start putting his y-fronts into cases for him. Lo and behold my saturday was spent moving him, though whilst he was AWOL and I was left unsupervised I made sure to pack some of his more delicate possessions in a less than delicate fashion.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I close on Monday, and will be preparing the bank draft to go to my lawyer tomorrow. My account is empty

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received our contract for the purchase and the contract for the sale is apparently being sent to our buyer today.

Finally. Hoping we can complete this week and Exchange next week but may be a bit tight.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in. All sorted within an hour but couldn't sort the transit bolts in time to take the washer. Aside from that, not bad.

Now I'm there, a few things annoy me. The toilet flush is like, opposite to what I've done all my life. I fell like I'm breaking it by going in the opposite direction. Front rooms a bit clumsy too. TV and phone lines are in opposite corners of the room so finding a setup that works for WFH is going to be tricky.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, the master phone line is in the spare bedroom. I guess that’s my office now. Arse.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our buyers solicitor is being an absolute cunt and we're running the risk of this going south just as we were ready to exchange.

They're asking for the planning permission for the extension (built in 1996) and proof that the management agency were happy for it to be built (they only bought the lease in 2010).

Even if we can get the planning permission from the Council (which is no guarantee after 25 years) it's pointless as even if there was no planning permission they can't do anything about it once it's been up for 10 years anyway.

I'm now trying to get an email from the management company confirming they're happy for the building to be... err... as the building already was when they bought the land.

Fucking solicitors. Lynch the lot of them.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 10-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolf.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New role for the next werewolf game.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Special powers: can play the 'tedium' card, forcing no movement in the game for the next 50 nights no matter what the other players try to do.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the home buyers report back today and the house is in complete bits. The highlights being moving walls and a woodboring beetle infestation. Back to to the drawing board.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm settled in now. Although sorting the utilities out is proving to be a right cunt since nPower was bought out. I'm signed up for their portal, sent the email out to tell them about the new address. Their response was for the Indian manning the account to say, "Sorry, we can find no records of you. Please go to the website and sign up for the portal that already told you to email me."

So I'm switching. That'll take weeks. So will sorting out the water. And the council tax. Is this just the pandemic effect?

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tenner says the Delta is on the cricket forums lolling at the mong he had to deal with at work today.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, some lass called Chloe came back and said, "Aye, we'll send you a final bill." Done. Yesterday some door-to-door twats came around trying to get me to switch again. The trainee lass abandoned her sales pitch inside the first sentence. Brought back memories of the one day I did that.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To resolve the stand-off between the two solicitors I asked a third one for their opinion, and they think my solicitor is wrong (or at least their policy is) and that it should all be good to go, so I asked them to sort it out for me. My now old solicitor is refusing to send stuff over until I pay them (fair enough), but is refusing to itemise my bill[s] beyond the suspiciously rounded five-hundred quid (plus VAT) for 'legal services'. Is it unreasonable of me to want some sort of breakdown, because their service has been shit and most of their correspondence have had incorrect information in, so it would stick in my arse to think I'm getting stung for fifty quid letters that went straight in the bin.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Case in point, it came to this in part because both me and the estate agents have been unable to speak to them for over a week (too busy with all the work they knew they couldn't cope with), but they have sent me three e-mails/answered the phone when this bill is mentioned.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solicitors act on your say so, right? If you're close to completion could you not tell them to send you the exchange paperwork and you'll sign with their concern duly noted?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not unreasonable to ask for a breakdown of costs from solicitors. We regularly give them to clients who ask for them (albeit I don't work in residential conveyancing).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did think that. I paid for 'the searches' at the start (via the third party thing), so given that they didn't report anything in their other work, can't I just yolo it and take it at risk?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a challenging few weeks.

My mum met a new bloke in August, who lives in "Assisted Living". From what I can gather, he had a stroke a few years ago and now has "funny turns" every now and then which means he can't work, and needs someone to do shopping, etc. But otherwise is fine.

Since April, she's been staying at his flat, and about a month ago messaged the family WhatsApp group to tell us she'd accepted an offer on her house(!) and was going to start renting a flat in the same Assisted Living facility. Now, my mum isn't that old - she's 65 - but she does suffer from fibromyalgia. But she's never once said anything about the fact that she was struggling, and has seemed fairly fit and healthy for her age whenever I've seen her in the last year. But she's now suddenly adamant that she needs care and the only possible solution is to rent a flat in this place. She doesn't want carers visiting her house (they're all thieves), no other facility is good enough, bungalows are for old people, etc.

Obviously that's mostly bollocks. And the idea of moving to rented accomodation when you have a house - completely mortgage free - is absolutely insane.

So then we (me and my two sisters) asked about the offer on the house - when did it go on the market, why didn't you tell us, how much is the offer for, etc? And suddenly she won't tell us. It's none of our business, apparently. Which is completely unlike her, she's always been open with us, and historically has relied on me for financial advice since my dad died, as she never had a clue about any of that. So to suddenly discover that she's part way through the sale of her house is completely out of character.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Eventually, we manage to get out of her that:

• She hasn't put the house on the market, or even spoken to an estate agent
    • This offer is actually from her new bloke's nephew
    • Who also knows the solicitor "representing" my mum
    • And the offer is for 40% less than Zoopla's estimation

Everyone can see what's going on here except for my mum. Long story short, she falls out with everyone except me in the family because they're telling her she's being conned. I live about an hour away so was able to see her in person, and over the course of a few visits, manage to convince her to at least see a couple of estate agents to get independant valuations. Fortunately, after she heard about the true value of the house (which they reckon is even higher than we thought), she agreed she couldn't sell it at that price.

She still thinks she's "messed the poor guy" around who wanted to buy it, and seems completely oblivious to the fact that her new boyfriend was probably involved in trying to rip her off. The cheeky cunt even tried to claim he'd spent £4k on "fees" - for an offer that had been accepted less than a fortnight previously - and tried to demand that she reimburse him. Fortunately she actually refused to give him a penny.

Right now I'm in the process of trying to convince her to rent it out if she really must rather than selling it. She's so unbeleivably naive though, and there's no point in trying to get her to see the truth - I'll just end up being frozen out, and then she'd really be in trouble. She's still not talking to my sisters over it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give your head a fresh shave/polish and go fill this nephew in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell. Is she blinded by love or is she normally that naive?