Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2529

Thread: The House Thread

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Normally in a flat they should be relatively easy things to fix. It's surprising how often it will just be a piece of guttering that's knackered or a slipped tile somewhere and once it's sorted it's no hassle at all.
    Aye, I've patched stuff like that up myself. It's just dry wall. The more pressing concern was the place kind of stank. It's my Plan F. Not that I've found any plan A's or B's yet.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    @Luke Emia do you know if any of these building societies with good rates lend in NI? Most of the ones I've seen don't.
    I don’t to be fair. I’ve never dealt with anything in NI. Have you tried Danske Bank though? They always source cheaply if you’ve got good credit.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t to be fair. I’ve never dealt with anything in NI. Have you tried Danske Bank though? They always source cheaply if you’ve got good credit.
    Yeah, they're quite a bit more expensive than the other ones I was looking. Other one that do lend in NI, I mean. Mostly national banks.

Emailed my broker today with stuff that arrived in the post they needed and heard nothing back. They're really pissing me off now.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the fixtures and fitting list through from my solicitor. Are the prices on stuff they want to sell normally negotiable? They seem to be taking the piss with the prices they've put on. £400 for your shitty old washer/drier? You could get a brand new one for that.

All the blinds and curtains come to about £400 as well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not encountered this. They're trying to add on money for what they're leaving behind?

Aside from anything built in, the expectation would normally be that they're taking everything with them.

Are they trying to sell you the fridge and bog brush or something?

Either way, I'd tell them to take the fucking lot.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are they going to do with blinds that are presumably made to fit their current windows? Tell them to fuck off.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the fixtures and fitting list through from my solicitor. Are the prices on stuff they want to sell normally negotiable? They seem to be taking the piss with the prices they've put on. £400 for your shitty old washer/drier? You could get a brand new one for that.

It's usually because people think that you liked the house because of how it was decorated and as such you can have all that for X.

It's always overpriced and they're just hoping you're a sucker so they don't have to bother getting it shifted.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve just bought a house.

Being poor.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What are they going to do with blinds that are presumably made to fit their current windows? Tell them to fuck off.
    This is my thinking.

They're moving to a new build so they're hardly going to want to take their old blinds and curtains even if they would fit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking back, I seem to remember the buyers solicitor requesting that we paint our old flat before leaving.

I think they just chance their arm with this shit.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell them you're happy for them to leave anything you want but not willing to pay.

We had loads of stuff left for us when we bought our first house but wouldn't pay for anything. Chances are theyd rather leave stuff than pay to get things disconnected or taken down etc.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're chucking in the washer and fridge because they're approaching their sell by date and the new house has them integrated, but they've agreed to pay for the curtains we'd put up which I wouldn't have even considered as an extra but have since discovered what a money making racket the curtain game is.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad tried to remove the light bulbs during our house move. He didn't want to leave anything for free to the white boys.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy we bought off left so much stuff here I was sure he would still be asleep in bed upstairs.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My flats gone on the market today, the pictures they’ve took make it look amazing!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of the few things that Purple Bricks did well for us. The house, especially the kitchen, looked incredible in the photos.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eurgh, two months in and nowt's really jumping out at me. I might take a viewing for a place across the road just to feel like I'm doing something. I'm still waiting on a call on another place but that's gone quiet.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my thinking.

They're moving to a new build so they're hardly going to want to take their old blinds and curtains even if they would fit.
    Every day this week I have walked past a house with rolls of blinds (different colours/sizes) in a 'Free to Take' box and nobody is taking them. I'll get pictures if it helps your case.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it standard practice for an estate agent not to disclose the amount of rivalling offers?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about standard but it does happen. When we were moving last time there were 3 of us interested in a property, so rather than doing a normal bidding war the geezer said "right, everyone just put in your maximum offer".

We told him to fuck off.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bollocks to that.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My flats gone on the market today, the pictures they’ve took make it look amazing!
    The other half’s house was in the market for 2 days and got an offer. We’ve found a place we love but they turned down our offer because my flats not had an offer. Got a viewer next week so fingers crossed they’re a fan!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my wife's friends has just had their seller decide to pull out just as they were about to exchange. They're understandably livid.

It's mental that you can pull out just like that and everyone else in the chain just had to suck up all their wasted time and money.

Obviously if there's a change in circumstances like a redundancy and you can no longer get the mortgage or whatever then fair fucks, but you can seemingly pull out on a whim with no explanation at all and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Seems a bit fucked.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sellers have come back being stubborn about the fixtures and fittings. And my solicitor has just told me "ask the estate agent to contact them and thrash it out that way as it may be quicker." What the fuck am I paying you for then?

I hate this whole fucking process.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tell them to take the lot.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viewed a lovely place yesterday and I've made the call. The current tenant's moving in a couple of weeks so it could be a quick turnaround. It's going to be nice to get away from a main road and having nobody above me.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the average completion time is now twenty weeks, which would explain why I've been waiting three weeks for two bits of paperwork that should be easy enough to find (or replace if they can't be found).
    It's almost a relief to know that everything is slowed down rather than just thinking I had got the useless bunch.
    Sixteen weeks in and they're still accusing each other of not sending/receiving things. And when they do send each other something they take a week to respond because 'we have to work through things as they come in'. Yeah let's see what happens when your bill goes to the bottom of my [imaginary] to-do list you cunts.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our original buyers had another timewaster buying theirs so we had to put ours back on the market. Someone made an offer the day after a viewing but apparently they were making offers on a few houses and the estate agent said their financial advisors needed a translator so fuck that. Luckily the original lot this time have accepted an offer for theirs but through our estate agent who are a bit more strict on things like dealing with people who can actually afford a house so fingers crossed it's third time lucky. Can't be arsed dealing with new people and having to clear out for viewings again.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all worth it when you do finally move.

Moving during the last year was comfortably the most stressful thing ever I've had to do. Will not be moving again.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're all done our end, just waiting for our buyers searches to come back (should be imminent) then hopefully completion if there's not a load of queries.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixteen weeks in and they're still accusing each other of not sending/receiving things. And when they do send each other something they take a week to respond because 'we have to work through things as they come in'. Yeah let's see what happens when your bill goes to the bottom of my [imaginary] to-do list you cunts.
    The hold-ups turn out to be: 1) the seller submitting his atrocious hand-written accounts as part of the 'management pack'; 2) the seller thinking that them saying the building isn't tall enough to require any post-Grenfell cladding certification constitutes acceptable proof that it isn't; and 3) my solicitor insisting that they underwrite any service charge liabilities I might inherit, because he doesn't want me paying three-hundred pounds upon moving in (better to pay double that in extra rent whilst they fuck about).

You sometimes read about idiot politicians who were barristers (or idiot online barristers) and you think they can't be idiots if they were barristers; but if all you have to do is rise above these sorts of people then maybe I should have gone into the legal profession.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The potential landlords want me to provide a work contact for a reference. Would a team leader do?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems selling a house is pretty easy at the moment. Annoyingly, selling a flat is proving less simple. Might have to drop the asking price, thankfully we’ve had over asking offered on the house, with a load more people still to come see it, hoping for a bidding war!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A property I'm keen on has reduced it's asking price by 8.5% in what appears to be an act of desperation. How much lower could one go with an offer in this instance?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it depends how expensive the house is and how desperate they are to shift it.

Maybe they need to sell that house ASAP as they can't afford their next house without the stamp duty holiday.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The house has had an offer £11k over asking so we’ve accepted it. It’s enough that we can offer on ones we’ve looked at before selling the flat, which is very useful.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're eyeing up a house, it's a friend's parents house and their looking to downsize. They've had it valued at 220k which is more than we thought so it's all a bit in doubt now. Depends how much we can sell ours for I guess.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put much weight in the valuation if it's just coming from an estate agent.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    A property I'm keen on has reduced it's asking price by 8.5% in what appears to be an act of desperation. How much lower could one go with an offer in this instance?
    If they've had to drop the price it was either over-valued to start with or there's something wrong with it. Houses are being snapped up at the moment. The market is mental.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most definitely over valued in the first instance. I might chance my arm with a further 3%.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first offer will be rejected regardless of what you offer. How much is it up for? I'd look to be within 10% of the asking price.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    If they've had to drop the price it was either over-valued to start with or there's something wrong with it. Houses are being snapped up at the moment. The market is mental.
    Would have been over-valued massively. Estate agents are chasing business at the minute so they are all telling people their houses are worth way in excess of what they would have done six months ago. Then when they don't sell the get the seller to reduce the price to actually get it saleable(but after the point where they have locked them into a 20 week contract).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah someone round the corner from me just sold a carbon copy of the house we bought for £130k in January 2019 for £220k last week, on arguably a worse road (busier traffic, worse parking). Market is totally insane.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first offer will be rejected regardless of what you offer. How much is it up for? I'd look to be within 10% of the asking price.
    £275k as it stands.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all clear to move in probably within a fortnight. Fuck, that's soon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £275k as it stands.
    262/263 would be what I’d offer. Then creep up from there. If you start at 265 you’ve lost the chance to buy it for that start a bit under you might get it for that.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £262k knocked back. The estate agent advised the offer isn't a million miles away. A thinker.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd give them the bank holiday to think about it and return with a follow up offer on Wednesday if they don't get back in touch by then.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our move is pissing me off now. Completely stagnant and both solicitor's playing a top notch game of blaming the other side.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ours is all a go now, just waiting for whatever our buyer's buyer is doing but they've got their searches and surveys and mortgage applications in so that's all a relief. Unless there's a miracle the stamp duty holiday will have expired by the time we're done but the extension to it was a surprise anyway so we weren't relying on it.