Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2529

Thread: The House Thread

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pay him. My thinking was that all these services seem to now be putting the power in our hands but I'm guessing it's not that easy then and I should trust him?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I don't pay him. My thinking was that all these services seem to now be putting the power in our hands but I'm guessing it's not that easy then and I should trust him?
    For the sake of probably saving you several hours dealing with a bank yeah I would suggest so. The comparison sites get paid as well all you are doing with them is you doing the donkey work and them getting paid for introducing you.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    44 square metres, half a million euro.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terrace...dublin/2480009

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

The little gate there (near the bins) is the entrance to most of the houses in the 'street' and there is a little pathway that connects all the front gardens.

Today a neighbour gave us a letter saying we've been accessing this UNAUTHORISED and that we need a deed of easement to legally use it. LOL.

What is wrong with some people?
    As we've got a buyer now lined up we need to sort this out formally.

Today her solicitor said that she'd accept no less than £15k

She's seething that the developers of the new build houses paid that much when she didn't own the house and now wants the same amount from us despite the house being there since before the gate/path.

We're going to formally request to the station to build our own gate (they unofficially said it would be ok last year) to circumvent her land.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you have a RIGHT to access in those sort of circumstances? Our next door neighbour has just 'reclaimed' the land behind her garden but has had to put gates in either side for their neighbour to maintain access.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what our solicitors will argue. I personally don't think she has a leg to stand on seeing as our place has been there since 1850/60 and the gate has been there since about 2010 or something.

Also, she befriended us which makes it even worse. She's been over for BBQ's in the Summer, she's come for dinner a few times etc etc and she even told me that she wasn't trying to being a dick (and that we all got off on the wrong foot) and wasn't doing this for money...

Maybe she was hoping that if we were chums we'd be more inclined to pay up.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    That's what our solicitors will argue. I personally don't think she has a leg to stand on seeing as our place has been there since 1850/60 and the gate has been there since about 2010 or something.

Also, she befriended us which makes it even worse. She's been over for BBQ's in the Summer, she's come for dinner a few times etc etc and she even told me that she wasn't trying to being a dick (and that we all got off on the wrong foot) and wasn't doing this for money...

Maybe she was hoping that if we were chums we'd be more inclined to pay up.
    The Prescription Act 1832 generally allows a party to claim an easement after a period of 20 years of continuous use without interruption.

She doesn't have a strong argument by the sounds of it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    The Prescription Act 1832 generally allows a party to claim an easement after a period of 20 years of continuous use without interruption.

She doesn't have a strong argument by the sounds of it.
    They'd claim that the gate hasn't been up for 20 years (which it hasn't) and thus the homeowners weren't specifically using her land. We've also only been there for 18 months or so and the new owners of the downstairs part wont have been here 20 years too.

She gave the 3 other original households that use the gate/path easement though and one of them hasn't been there for 20 years.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appealed that flat valuation business, but they stuck with their valuation on what struck me as quite spurious grounds. It might have off-street parking in the most congested city in the country, but this is negated by only having stairs and no lift. Oh right. And why does most of the street being rental properties matter? Whatever, another bank has accepted the valuation so we are - it looks like - good to go.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone bought anywhere that was a bit old fashioned (kitchen, bathroom, carpets, wallpaper etc all looking like they'd not been replace since the 80s) and done it up? How much would that kind of renovation cost?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother's doing it now, and the answer is 'a lot', especially kitchen and bathroom.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever been to Chapel St. Mary or East Bergholt?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Has anyone bought anywhere that was a bit old fashioned (kitchen, bathroom, carpets, wallpaper etc all looking like they'd not been replace since the 80s) and done it up? How much would that kind of renovation cost?
    That question is impossible to answer accurately as it is dependent on the property. You truly won't know the extent until you start stripping out the internals, which may reveal some hidden horrors. I.e. structural defects which you will not have accounted for.

If you do find a property, I strongly recommend that you get a pre-acquisition survey carried out. And I don't mean one of those shit home buyers surveys.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Anyone ever been to Chapel St. Mary or East Bergholt?
    Chapel Street?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saint

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, no.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chapel Street Mary sounds like a well known prossie or something.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Chapel Street I know is in Kings Cross. There would have been loads of prossies not so long ago.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends how skilled you are and then if you have friends or family who are tradespeople?

My 3 bed semi i spent 8k and did everything from top to bottom inside the house and both gardens. Luckily the doors and windows were done two years before I moved in. Obviously I did it all myself and pulled in a few favours, also know how to get materials at rock bottom. I think if I got a company into do similar I'd be expecting 40k.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cost us about 15k over 3 years. We needed the place rewiring and central putting in though, which took us to about 5k on its own. This is a 3 bedroomed house.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're looking at moving house this year. A mate's parents are moving out and want us to buy their house from them. It came about when and missus went over to their gaff with said friend and just loved the place. Had a private chat together about lovely it was, happened to mention it to our mate a bit later and she said they were looking to move and would want to save money on estate agents if we'd be interested.

Ideally we want to draw down equity from the current house in order to buy the new one, and then rent this one out. We've just finished doing it all up so should make a bit of money renting it out, though I'd be happy to charge less for rental if it means we get someone who respects the place because they want to stick around for a few years.

I'm shitting it a bit though. We can afford it but the margins are a bit tight until the missus gets a payrise next August. Might have to be careful for a year or so but after that it'll be plain sailing. I suppose if it gets too tight we can always just sell this house too.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Depends how skilled you are and then if you have friends or family who are tradespeople?

My 3 bed semi i spent 8k and did everything from top to bottom inside the house and both gardens. Luckily the doors and windows were done two years before I moved in. Obviously I did it all myself and pulled in a few favours, also know how to get materials at rock bottom. I think if I got a company into do similar I'd be expecting 40k.
    Cheers. I'm not skilled at all. My dad's pretty hanfybat diy stuff but he's not a tradesman or anything. Not really any in the family that are close enough that I'd feel comfortable asking.

Probably too expensive then.

Shame cause I've seen a few decent houses that presumably old people have been in for ages and would be nice if they were fixed up a bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers. I'm not skilled at all. My dad's pretty hanfybat diy stuff but he's not a tradesman or anything. Not really any in the family that are close enough that I'd feel comfortable asking.

Shame cause I've seen a few decent houses that presumably old people have been in for ages and would be nice if they were fixed up a bit.
    If it's alright to live in as it is, just do it gradually over a few years. It's more satisfying that way.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't let me put you off. You don't have to do it all in one go and you can always pick things up as you go and do bits yourself.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent about an hour “de-squeaking” my stairs today, ready for a carpet fitter to come in Tuesday. Can’t access them from underneath so screwed them down from above. Some of them have like 7 screws in but they’re loads quieter. Highly recommended.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy casually exposing the 500% mark-up him and his mates slap on unsuspecting rubes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping to avoid said mark up tomorrow when a roofer comes round to investigate the leak I've noticed in my loft. Hoping the fact he is coming round short notice on a Sunday means he thinks it is an easy fix.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or he’s shit.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Andy casually exposing the 500% mark-up him and his mates slap on unsuspecting rubes.
    You've only got to look at the cost of a boiler and the average cost of a install or the same with a bathroom suite.

Its all in the labour.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing stuff to improve our house steadily over the last 5 1/2 years. Replacing old lathe and plaster walls/ceilings with insulation and plasterboard, put in a new loft hatch, part-boarded the loft, tore out old bathroom and did most of the work getting it ready to be tiled and plumbed in. Father in law helped with a lot of stuff though and his know-how was really useful. A lot I learned from YouTube but you can't really replace the experience of having done something successfully before.

Probably going to look to sell in a few years though. We talked about an extension but I want more room upstairs and I don't think a two-storey extension will work.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Either that or he’s shit.
    He's highly recommended Quoted me an acceptable price so hopefully that solves it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently decorating the dining room and bedroom. Still not a fan of painting.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next door neighbour just threatened to call the cops on me for telling him to lick the back of my sack

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did you tell him to do that?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I parked outside his house (not blocking the gateway) because he keeps putting his second shitbox outside ours instead of his own. He came to the door to tell me to move it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gate access update:

We've been talking to the facilities manager of Great Northern trains are were asking him if we could just take down one of the station's fence panels and put a second gate right next to hers. He originally said he thinks it would be ok and would chase it up. Today he sent this:

Having look into this matter with the main landlord Network Rail along with their liabilities team, I can confirm the first point is that the resident has responsibility for the maintenance and repair of the boundary fencing.

I can also confirm the existing gate does NOT grant any prescriptive rights by the tenants to have right of access onto private lease area as this leads to twofold encroachment and GTR legal liabilities risk.

If I push this any further with the landlord, they will be forced to legally request gates to be removed and have residents spaced out.

I strongly suggest both residents come to some form of agreement as I refuse to encourage access creating a liability risk to GTR.
    She's apparently not too pleased about no longer having a leg to stand on.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fucking audacity to rely on rules and regulations when it suits you. Get back to Poznan and leave our good British folk alone, you disgrace.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you have a RIGHT to access in those sort of circumstances? Our next door neighbour has just 'reclaimed' the land behind her garden but has had to put gates in either side for their neighbour to maintain access.
    At our end, it turns out that this land is actually council land, so she will probably have to un-landscape it all.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flat I'm in is changing ownership. I've got the tenancy until September but erm ... the people that have viewed have all had their student offspring in tow.

EDIT: Looking at flats now in case shit gets real and they throw me out. Durham is royally shit for renting.
    Last edited by Shindig; 12-02-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We accepted an offer on our gaff yesterday after putting it back up for sale on Monday. The Stamp Duty break is being extended, apparently.

Just seen this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56218952

Which seems silly considering the mortgage market killed the worldwide economy 13 years ago. I look forward to being able to buy a £1.4 million house, mind.

How is your move going @Lewis?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The for sale sign is now up outside mine. No viewings for a fortnight. I'm window shopping for houses at the minute. Nobody's mentioned a peep about returning to the office so I guess that gives me the option to move anywhere.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    How is your move going @Lewis?
    They started the 'checks' a few weeks ago and both sets of solicitors are blaming the other for it being a bit slow.

This mortgage guarantee thing fucking hell. Pretty much the only hope I have left for this government is that they make the planning reforms needed to actually make housing affordable, so this is obviously a good sign there. Unless they do both, and a load of mugs get stuck in government-backed negative equity.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm .... my place is listed for £200k. Two flats and a bookies. £16k a year comes back in rent. Not that I'm planning on putting a bid in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a bigger scam in modern Britain than commercial renting? I can't think of one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't even have to do any repairs either. Just have a rolling tenancy, call them an ASBO case and issue a Section 21.

The best thing about Covid is those cunts getting fisted.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's turned my head, that's for sure. Even if I carried on living there, that's £10k or whatever. Your only worry would be if the students bite because the bookies are always busy. And whether I fancied doing any work to it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They started the 'checks' a few weeks ago and both sets of solicitors are blaming the other for it being a bit slow.

This mortgage guarantee thing fucking hell. Pretty much the only hope I have left for this government is that they make the planning reforms needed to actually make housing affordable, so this is obviously a good sign there. Unless they do both, and a load of mugs get stuck in government-backed negative equity.
    and they'll both be right, too. I'd love to see how much work they actually do. I bet the whole process could be done in about 2 hours if they wanted to / didn't have to justify their fee.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like estate agents (and website designers, I'm finding) it's an industry where they will only work on your case if you pester them literally every day, more than once if you can.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was firing emails at everyone involved on the daily and following up unanswered emails with calls until I got the keys, which I think was just to get rid of me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes compare it to my own job (where I'll normally have 10-20 customer requests waiting to be dealt with at any one time) and the rough criteria for who gets seen are:

1) low hanging fruit
    2) how much time will it take me to do this
    3) how much do we rely on their business
    4) how likely is it that we will get a sale from this
    5) how much are they getting in my face

This results in a lot of frustrated customers when 5) doesn't speed me up (usually these people are French).

In a lot of other industries, especially those where you've paid for the service in advance, 5) is right at the top, or sometimes even the only one in play it feels like.