User Tag List

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 2529

Thread: The House Thread

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18 stone, sat on Lofty's cone, for a rollercoaster ride, her chasm opens wide.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Fit on the phone, 18 stone is the rhyme is it not?
    This isn't poetry club.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Had a bloke round today looking in the loft, cos we’ve got a bit of damp in the corner of a bedroom ceiling. He was a bit of salesman, and in the end really tried to pressure us into signing up for the buy now pay later but we politely declined and sent him on his way.

Basically he quoted us Ł4500 to fill between the beams in my loft with something called Icynene, which is expanding foam spray. He said it contained no chemicals and didn’t have “that fishy smell that people associate with foam insulation.” I had no preconceptions so just nodded.

I live in a three bed semi detached house and at present there is fibreglass applied to between the upstairs ceiling and what is essentially the loft floor, after my dad boarded over some fibreglass we got installed for free about eight years ago.

Now this man wants us to spray foam between the beams on the loft ceiling. There is already some felt covering what I presume is the bare tiles. I should really provide a pic but I’m not home at the moment and wanted to post cos I already have 3 missed calls off the bloke who came.

My dads a very handy man and says we don’t need this foam stuff. “It’ll just make your loft warm.”

Has anyone had it done? Heard anything good/bad about it? Hopefully specifically about Icynene, but even the foam in general.

Heres a video he showed us:

I'm not a fan of foam sprays. One of the risks is it can bridge your wall cavity and cause damp to track through from the outer brick skin onto the inner skin. You also need to be clear on whether it's closed cell or open cell. The latter can also cause condensation with no vapour barrier installed.

Some mortgage companies are not a fan of spray foam insulation. Therefore, if you are going to do it, check with them first. Also check what type of guarantee the company will provide and whether it's insurance backed. If it's not a IBG, then the guarantee provided by the company will be worthless if they decide to liquidate, which can often happen. The wording of the guarantee is also important. Although, i'm not sure why they are recommending you insulate your whole house due to one area of damp.

There is also no point in agreeing a solution until the problem is diagnosed; otherwise you are potentially wasting money. Regarding the damp, is there any mould present, or is it simply a dark staining to the wall? Also, what time of year is/has the stain appeared?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit on the phone, bridged wall cavity.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a catch, avoid the snatch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn up Lofty. Weighing 18 stone is pussy. I probably weigh more than you now.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitch rejected me again, she must want to extend our contact time too.

MyCreditFile has indicated Experian have got an incorrect address due to some funky flat-street naming going on with my place which must be what's causing it. House buying plans delayed by at least a month because of some clerical fuck-up by a random company and even fixing it isn't straightforward going off reports. Love this society.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are the new mortgages with? A degree of common sense and a copy of your credit report should enable things to progress.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just for the advance I want from my current mortgage provider (Hali) to allow me to pay the H2B off. I'm telling the bitch I'll be forced to remortgage and leave them if she can't find me my 60K urgently and she's just like 'yeah, computer says no, come back in a month'.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Bitch rejected me again, she must want to extend our contact time too.

MyCreditFile has indicated Experian have got an incorrect address due to some funky flat-street naming going on with my place which must be what's causing it. House buying plans delayed by at least a month because of some clerical fuck-up by a random company and even fixing it isn't straightforward going off reports. Love this society.
    This is what happens when you live in a shanty town.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credit scores are one of the biggest scams going. Fuck those shysters

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody but you can see your score. Largely because it's a complete irrelevance that the fuckers use to turn the system into a game to get soppy bollocks to sign up long term and take their courses on how to improve their score.

The banks access your data and run it against their own criteria. You having a 600 or a 900 doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly right Spikey. No score makes no difference it’s based on what is within the credit report. I’ve seen a 999 score for someone who was bankrupt 3 years previously makes no odds though as no high street lender would touch her because of the previous credit issues.

Even the banks internal credit scores are bullshit though. I’ve genuinely had a bank BDM before ask me if the client has a landline as if I put that on the Decision In Principle it will pass their internal score. Madness.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking Kent.

Any time I cast my net 10 miles wide on Right Move I get presented with fucking Palaces for 50p, only to find out they want me to swim to the cunt after work.

Anyway, why is Kent somehow immune to the South East property prices? A 3 bed new build for Ł240k? How? It's as proximate to London as I am, but the equivalent property is Ł80k-Ł100k less.

Kent:
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-96085469.html

Essex: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-95078024.html

Fuck off.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 14-08-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're asking why property on the Isle of Sheppey costs fuck all? You'd be better off turning yourself into a puffin and flitting between jagged headlands for the rest of your days.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's cheaper than fucking Canvey.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Kent and Essex are end of days stuff, across the board.

I mean, very nice places where many of my sort of relations live.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about Kent, other than its property prices piss me off. As for Essex, it's simple (lolol). If it's a town - it's a shithole. If it's the country - it's rich people. If it's Brentwood - hit it with something blunt and heavy.

Anyway, I'm trying to join the country folk for (much) less than 400k and it's a right laugh. The new build ain't happening as Rishi is ending 'help to buy' for everyone bar first time buyers before it'll be finished. Ł5 Nandos banter Dickhead.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the good stuff around here in my price range has RETIREMENT APARTMENT slapped on it as if those cunts haven't had enough out of subsequent generations.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's never been a particularly well hidden secret, but Estate Agents are a special breed of cunt, aren't they?

I had one call me earlier (on a Sunday? OK m8) and he managed to piss me off three times in about three minutes.

First he called to tell me that a house was for sale in our 'desired area' when it's 22 miles away from where we're looking and actually more of a shithole than my current area. He then told me that the owners are keen to sell (Well no shit, maybe that's why they put it on the market?) and they would probably take Ł15k less than the asking price. They're paying you for this, you slimy prick.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 23-08-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Estate agents are up there with recruitment and letting agents. All slimey, dishonest, sell their own grandma, cunts.

Never trust a word they say. How they 'earn' their fee I'll never know.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mortgage advisor I have been speaking to reckons nobody is doing ten per cent deposits on flats at the minute. They are too risky. I had found one I liked, but it is very much a first-time buyer sort of flat, so I don't suppose waiting a bit longer is a problem if we're all in the same shitty boat. But is that right? How much could a flat like that realistically go down in price before nobody sells anything to anyone?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you have H2B on that, too? That would leave you needing a 70% mortgage which surely everyone would be offering.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would rather wait/tap into some pre-inheritance than go down that road.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any particular reason?

I've pondered whether I should look into a help to buy but haven't actually done any research into it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By Help to Buy do yous mean the mortgage guarantee part rather than the ISA part?

It fucking ended in NI in December 2016. Twats.

I've got the ISA though.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Any particular reason?

I've pondered whether I should look into a help to buy but haven't actually done any research into it.
    It seems like an unnecessary complication when I don't really have to do it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, fair enough.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help to Buy sounds great at first, but it seems like a pain in the arse in reality. You're restricted to new builds only, which half the time puts the price up by about as much as the Government will give you anyway. Then you're splitting your debt in half, with different terms.

If it were me I'd take advantage of the ISA's they do, but I'd just buy a non-new build and avoid owing the government 60 grand.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The mortgage advisor I have been speaking to reckons nobody is doing ten per cent deposits on flats at the minute. They are too risky. I had found one I liked, but it is very much a first-time buyer sort of flat, so I don't suppose waiting a bit longer is a problem if we're all in the same shitty boat. But is that right? How much could a flat like that realistically go down in price before nobody sells anything to anyone?
    He’s right. If it’s a flat you want though, and can only get to the 10% as long as your credit is fine you could take out a personal loan for the extra 5% deposit and then. Or you could take a smaller lump of the help to buy loan you only have to have it in 5% increments then just buy it out in a couple of years time when your remortgage is due.

If your adviser had anything about him he would give you these options.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got a Chinese name so I'm not entirely sure it's not just a front to get my National Insurance details.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive purchased one of these and its superb. The most difficult part is masking off the areas you dont want to paint. That takes a while. Once you start painting, you can do an entire room in about 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't you just pay a Polack Ł100 to paint your house?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Ive purchased one of these and its superb. The most difficult part is masking off the areas you dont want to paint. That takes a while. Once you start painting, you can do an entire room in about 5 minutes.
    Unless you're a painter and decorator, isn't this purchase a little excessive?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dquincy View Post
    Unless you're a painter and decorator, isn't this purchase a little excessive?
    Purchased the sprayer
    Painted a hallway, two bedrooms and a living room
    Painted an outside fence
    Returned sprayer

The answer to your question is absolutely.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the sound of the white man's jaw making contact with the floor.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did start with the roller and a paintbrush. I did the maths and it would have taken 4 years. Did the whole house in two days. Not included the preparation which is by far, the longest part.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Purchased the sprayer
    Painted a hallway, two bedrooms and a living room
    Painted an outside fence
    Returned sprayer

The answer to your question is absolutely.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In another episode of Lukie Answers:

The house buying has thankfully been delayed till late this year at the earliest. I'm looking at a real shortfall in having the required 20%+Ł10k for stamp duty and so forth. I realise it's not advised etc etc but can I potentially take out a big ol' credit card now for say 20K today and then use it when the time comes to supplement my deposit?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought stamp duty was cancelled until April?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B2Ls still pay their bit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our offer on the house has been accepted and we are set to move in soon. Really chuffed to get this place: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-77313167.html

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit too cheap for you, no?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the pictures you bearded twat.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did.

The interior is perfect but the property as a whole suffers because it's sub 500k.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao i feel claustrophobic just looking at the pictures.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you changed the insides, you should be ashamed of yourself

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The government should be preserving that for the nation instead of putting illegals up, and if Nigel Farage hasn't got a campaign going by tomorrow morning he isn't the man I thought he was.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    In another episode of Lukie Answers:

The house buying has thankfully been delayed till late this year at the earliest. I'm looking at a real shortfall in having the required 20%+Ł10k for stamp duty and so forth. I realise it's not advised etc etc but can I potentially take out a big ol' credit card now for say 20K today and then use it when the time comes to supplement my deposit?
    Not to supplement the property deposit but you can use it to pay the stamp duty.