User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was great video uploaded to the No Mans Sky page on reddit called 'expectation vs reality'.

The footage shown at E3 showed this quality looking planet with rivers, varied plants and animals. Then this geezer took a video of his planet and it's some mini t-rex glitching around on this baron shit hole.

For all the hype about procedural generation and variety it's all been surprisingly repetitive. The animals all look the same and their movements are fucked. The weight to speed ratio is way off so it just looks stupid. I played it for about 5 minutes last night and just couldn't be bothered.

EDIT: Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

Fucking hell

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Procedural' shit always turns shit. Turns out properly designed stuff is better than throwing random parts around. Who would have thought?

EDIT: That video.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell.

That creature looks like the product of sensible evolution.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that reptile a suit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think because I thought all the hype was bullshit anyway, I'm not at all bothered that it isn't what the most optimistic people hoped. I don't really care if I never see a planet with rivers or anything. I just like the idea of zinging around space exploring, surviving, and upgrading shit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multi-platform release backed by Sony?

Well that's where all your other features went, stripped out until it ran properly on PS4.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That video.

Haven't genuinely lol'd that much on my own in ages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect it's one of those games they're just going to keep throwing stuff at for years too, they've made so much money off it they can afford to and it's a clear labour of love.

The complaint memes have been quality too so as far as I'm concerned we're all winners.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our review

I expected a higher score.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the 'wonder' goes, its an absolute shit show. It is a nothing game in its current state.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the same, DS.

I reckon I've put in about 10 hours on the game and the first 6-7 were really great. Then there's a realisation that what you've experienced is basically all there is and there is no point at all to keep playing.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mine came when I mined for ages for almost 3mil, got a ship with about 27 slots, then realised all it was doing was let me mine for a bit longer without selling so as to get an even bigger ship. Absolutely no point to it. All the ships seem to handle the same, the animals are just variations on ideas with a beak/wings/face/arse changed. Yay another grass planet! This one is purple instead of blue like the rest, let me go visit the identikit crash sites, or way stations and then mine one of four valuable elements for hours.

Its all well and good having to create your own story, but when that story is built is of a miner pointing a laser for ten minutes until an object disappears, its not a thrilling base to create said stories from.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've lost the spark too.

I haven't played it for a couple of days now whereas before it was any spare minute I could find. I was so excited when they announced it a few years ago but the hype isn't real. Hopefully they add more variety in patches/dlc.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody actually met yet? Or was the whole multi-player/MMO a massive lie?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it you'll know if somebody has been to the same planet as you (which given how big the universe is supposed to be it sounds like it's happening surprisingly often) but you can't actually see them in game.

Might have the wrong end of the stick though.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several people have found each other and tried to meet up. It's not possible.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No posts for 6 days? Is this dead?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concurrent players stat absolutely tanked after the first week, it would appear to be a huge flash in the pan that has intensely annoyed the internet. I am interested to see if they keep developing it, the concept is intriguing even if the flight model looks utter bobbins.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm struggling to think of a game that was as much of a flash in the pan as this appears to be.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody space nerds and their expectations. And Sean Murray for his "Yes to everything" approach which seemed to arrive after being vague for years.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concurrent player stats tank after the first week of all non-multiplayer games. It was pointed out in the Reddit thread I saw that stat in that Doom and a series of other definitely good games suffered similar 75-85% losses.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I've read points out to this being complete shite.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Concurrent player stats tank after the first week of all non-multiplayer games. It was pointed out in the Reddit thread I saw that stat in that Doom and a series of other definitely good games suffered similar 75-85% losses.
    Not surprising with something like Doom where most people will play through the campaign and move onto something else, this was supposed to have god knows how many 'unique' planets and an entire galaxy to explore with your friends. Some of the raging about the devs being liars is rather overblown but I certainly don't think they've been very honest in the build up to release, the fact that even Sony are refunding people (even digital sales) is an admission that someone fucked up.

It's also nice to see this meme again.

"Tod Howard ain't got shit on me" is a particular highlight. I suppose now we just wait for RPS to interview Murray and ask him if he's a procedural liar.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely dead.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they did say the odds of meeting another player were very slim, I guess they're right now.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good game, with potential to be awesome - but they hyped it to death and there's currently not that much meat on the bones. I can see them getting a coupe of DLCs in and it being something more than it is.

I've not really touched it since the first week or so, probably mirroring that graph.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an indie walking sim with some light survival elements living in a big old Skinner Box but that doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would sell so well.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of build-up and promotion it basically comes across as basically being a classic Peter Molyneux game without him ever actually having been involved.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The look, feel and environment of it is stellar (pun intended). It ticks a lot of boxes in terms of freedom and otherworldly awe - but it's not a huge amount of fun (even for a committed icon-collector like myself).

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's not a walking simulator. Walking simulators are usually linear, more directed experiences. This is more a basic space exploration game with your sole objective to find the centre of the universe.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...m-advertising/

Now, then. Slippery slope, this one.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about ethics in game advertising, obviously.

If they've had any kind of disclaimers around the thing ('illustrative purposes, not representative of final product' etc.) then this won't fly.

I do have some sympathy with the Cheeto-fingered Reddit unwashed who've brought this up though - there was a discrepancy between what was described in interviews and what made it onto the disc. I'd put it down to wide-eyed optimism and under-delivery rather than malice though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more to do with them still using promotional material (in places like the game page on Steam) that doesn't accurately represent the game. Changes in development is one thing, it's almost a given that the released game will not be identical to earlier versions but using misleading stuff to sell it once it's been released is quite another.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302183

Bwahahahaha

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13...-was-a-mistake

Hello Games studio head Sean Murray tweeted this morning that the studio’s space exploration game No Man’s Sky was “a mistake.” The tweet was later deleted and the studio’s account set to private. No further tweets or explanation has been forthcoming.

Reached for comment Friday morning, a person responding to Murray’s email account and identifying himself as Sean said that he sent the tweet.

“The tweet is from me, but somebody from the team took it down,” he wrote in the email. “We have not been coping well.”

Murray hasn’t responded to follow up emails and his formerly active personal Twitter account hasn’t been used since Aug. 18.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people wonder about the validity of games journalism.

I really wish this would kinda blow over. Sean talked some serious bollocks in the marketing but the dust needs to settle.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll blow over once the fuckwits have something else to pounce on.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of Robert Bowling back in the MW2/3 days. Because he was the guy put in front of the camera, he was at fault for everything wrong with the CoD series.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Sean's a bit more Molyneux-ish. Or rather, he just said 'yes' to every question the press pitched to him at some point. Like he was tired of answering.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's call a spade a spade, he's a crook.

Now whether or not that's worthy of the ire directed at him I don't know, but I assume those who try to claim otherwise are giving him an easier ride because his is an independent studio and not a behemoth. Ultimately he systematically and repeatedly lied about what was in his game and has made a fucking fortune from it. Which really isn't on.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's difficult to feel sorry for a geezer that's raked in millions but I do a bit. Even before the game was released I felt bad for him because, even if the game was amazing, it was never going to live up to the ridiculous hype that it got.

What was he going to do? Go on these shows and tell people the truth and not to buy it? He looked like a puppet on strings towards release and the guy isn't stupid, he knew the game was shit but it was too late. If they indefinitely delayed (which was probably out of his hands anyway) the backlash would have been equally as bad. People were chomping at the bit in May / June.

It's bad what happened, and I myself got burned but I understand why they did it. People are saying he'll never sell another game after this but does he have to? He must have made a killing. I really don't know if he is a crook or his hands were so tied towards the end that it was out of his control.

The lesson I learned is that I just won't pre-order games anymore, basically.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    The lesson I learned is that I just won't pre-order games anymore, basically.
    We all need to start doing this. In a world where you can find out how good a game is now, basically on the day it comes out, combined with stores never actually selling out of games, means there's no need.

I remember back in the day if you wanted something like GTA 3 when that came out, you'd better have pre-ordered or else you'd be disappointed. But now you have your supermarkets and online stores with plenty of copies. The only reason to pre-order now is to get a bonus with it, but there's very few games that actually have something making it worth doing.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the whole charade serves only to stop people pre-ordering then it's a win.

Murray himself I'm sure will go on to make other things, NMS had some interesting ideas that captured people's imagination (which was the beginning of the problem) and for such a small studio the execution was pretty good. He's never getting out from under the stigma of it though, this is getting mentioned for the rest of his career. The good news for him is that people like Randy Pitchford (a persistent liar) and Peter Molyneux (hyperbolist in chief) continue to have a job in the games industry.

To answer the question of 'what should he have done' in the face of all the hype and questions? Told the truth for a start, I've seen perhaps a fraction of the press stuff he did but he continually teased a multiplayer element rather than being honest about it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    We all need to start doing this. In a world where you can find out how good a game is now, basically on the day it comes out, combined with stores never actually selling out of games, means there's no need.

I remember back in the day if you wanted something like GTA 3 when that came out, you'd better have pre-ordered or else you'd be disappointed. But now you have your supermarkets and online stores with plenty of copies. The only reason to pre-order now is to get a bonus with it, but there's very few games that actually have something making it worth doing.
    Not if Bethesda get their way, which they probably will.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Not if Bethesda get their way, which they probably will.
    What is it exactly they are doing? I saw they were refusing to give out review copies until 24 hours before release, but are they doing anything else?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that enough?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copies of the game ship to stores about a week in advance and you'll always get a smaller vendor willing to put it out early though, so that seems like a bit of a pointless exercise. You'd think it would lead to offending shops being denied copies or whatever, but there's a shop in town that's been doing it since the PS2 and as far as I'm aware they've still had every major release.

I got FIFA three days early this year from that shop, which lead to the lol situation of having to download and install a 780mb update for a game that hadn't actually been released yet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does provide this bollocks arms race for day one reviews which, given the size and scale Bethesda operates, will result in some rushed, inaccurate coverage. Unless you're one of the few people that has recorded Skyrim soft-locking on them inside the opening cutscene. Because that five year old glitch never got patched out.

I fucking loved getting PES 2015 a week early because I could sit down, play it and then linger on it a bit, instead of rushing through shit to land on release day or whenever the embargo was lifted. I'm in a situation this week where I've had to buy WRC 6 because the review copy we were sent has now been lost in transit. Meaning I'm trying to play and collect my thoughts ASAP. You only get one first impression and your review shouldn't really be that.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Let's call a spade a spade, he's a crook.

Now whether or not that's worthy of the ire directed at him I don't know, but I assume those who try to claim otherwise are giving him an easier ride because his is an independent studio and not a behemoth. Ultimately he systematically and repeatedly lied about what was in his game and has made a fucking fortune from it. Which really isn't on.
    A crook

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting games at/before they release isn't the issue, publishers not willing to let critics have access until it's too late to do a proper review is shitty and most definitely anti-consumer. Yet another in the long list of reasons not to buy games at release, it's getting to the point now that you have to question the intelligence of people who do.