0 Thread(s)

Skyrim Special Edition

Coming to PC and consoles 28/10/2016

https://youtu.be/pF2Qw9BI6Rg?t=187

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The XB1 seems to be dropping in price at the minute. Is there a new version expected to be announced today?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And mods.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the point in the PC version? If I wanted a better looking version, I have mods and it costs about a pound most of the year.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Whats the point in the PC version? If I wanted a better looking version, I have mods and it costs about a pound most of the year.
    Consider it more of a big mod and DLC bundle for those that can't follow mod install instructions. Or people that switched from PS3/360 to PC.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Consider it more of a big mod and DLC bundle for those that can't follow mod install instructions. Or people that switched from PS3/360 to PC.
    Have you seen NMM and Steam Workshop these days? You literally click a button and it installs it. It's incredible. (I was playing about with Fallout 4 mods before realising that game is wank)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they can't not put it out on PC. Not all people are that clued up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. That Bethesda.net had any traffic at all on PC shows that there are people playing on that platform who don't have a clue.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, new graphics? What else would I get if I were to bother with this?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mods on consoles is the key selling point if you own one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. So for PC it's just new graphics? Doesn't seem worth bothering but it did tempt me to start a new save. Probably won't.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 120 hours of my life on it and have no intention of going back.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will they make the gameplay better than sub level shit, at least?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's free for owners of the original anyway. I'll download for a look even if the improvement on the PC version is less impressive than on consoles.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free? Might be tempted then.

I do agree that the 'gameplay' is shit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's free if you own the game and all the DLC or a particular edition which is basically the same thing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, really? Fuck that then. I wasn't planning to actually play it through again.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...if you own either the Legendary Edition of the original, or the base game plus all DLC bought separately, you’ll receive a free upgrade...
    That's how the RPS article reads.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out I skimmed the fuck out of it and saw the word "free" and got exc-..... went, "Oh, alright then."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, shit. I've been waiting for this ever since my brother played the original for about two weeks straight on my Xbox account before I got the chance and got basically all of the achievements on it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't play it because he'd already got the achievements?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You didn't play it because he'd already got the achievements?
    No, I still played it. But I've always liked trying to clean up all the achievements on games I'm really into. Particularly games like Skyrim.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought it on PS4.

Finally knocked up at Bleak Falls Barrow and almost shat myself about 30 times. I don't get scared by TV/Film but games make me lose my shit.

Trying to do an archery sneak master wood elf, not sure why as I'm stunningly shit at sneaking around but it's kind of fun when I actually have arrows.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahow View Post
    Bought it on PS4.

Finally knocked up at Bleak Falls Barrow and almost shat myself about 30 times. I don't get scared by TV/Film but games make me lose my shit.

Trying to do an archery sneak master wood elf, not sure why as I'm stunningly shit at sneaking around but it's kind of fun when I actually have arrows.
    It took me three starts to settle on it but I'm playing basically the exact same character, right down to race. I probably shouldn't have picked Wood Elf though, I never use that special power they get that let's you control an animal. I could probably have got something better from one of the other races.

I've upgraded the skill trees to the point where my sneak attack arrows do three times the damage and my backstabs with daggers do fifteen (!) times the damage, so I'm just skulking around in the shadows murdering everyone that crosses my path really. Predictably I'm ignoring the main quest for the time being and just doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild stuff.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stealth archer is basically a running joke as everyone ends up playing it

I'm a Khajit badass who wears heavy armour and twats the fuck out of people with a two-handed Dwarven Hammer. Just been up to see my Greybeard chums.

Lasted about three days before I started modding it...The PS4 mods are fairly simplistic, but useful enough.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

I'm a Khajit badass who wears heavy armour and twats the fuck out of people with a two-handed Dwarven Hammer. Just been up to see my Greybeard chums.

Lasted about three days before I started modding it...The PS4 mods are fairly simplistic, but useful enough.
    I did Google 'best builds' tbh.

I did enjoy twating the fuck out of a lot of the draugr with a Nord Battle Axe though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    It took me three starts to settle on it but I'm playing basically the exact same character, right down to race. I probably shouldn't have picked Wood Elf though, I never use that special power they get that let's you control an animal. I could probably have got something better from one of the other races.

I've upgraded the skill trees to the point where my sneak attack arrows do three times the damage and my backstabs with daggers do fifteen (!) times the damage, so I'm just skulking around in the shadows murdering everyone that crosses my path really. Predictably I'm ignoring the main quest for the time being and just doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild stuff.
    Wood elf gets a boost of +10 to archery and +5 to sneak though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big are the differences between the original and the remaster, Raoul? I read that the loading times are the biggest difference.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loading times are much quicker. The graphics overall are well-polished too.

It's pretty noticeably different, and it's a pretty game to start with...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The loading times are vastly superior. I didn't play the non-mastered, cheap, ugly, shit version much but I notice it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that it's all the same engine, I wonder if the file size problem will rear its head again? The one that made PS3 saves several GBs in size.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm almost tempted to ONE LAST GAME of this (not the special edition which is silly and pointless on pc) as a proper summoner but I think I'll just wait until it passes rather than face the mod setup it would require.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought this. Looks a bit vaseliney, but I'm sure I'll get back into it and hooked once I start a save in earnest.

Mods really must be one of the most overrated things going. Tried Frostfall, some camping thing and a survival needs style mod and there's something irritating in all three of them that makes me want to bin them.

Minor change mods are ok, but anything more than that seems to always have something piss poorly implemented in it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best ones add content and variety, expanding on existing systems so you only notice them when they've gone. Ones like Frostfall that introduce new mechanics are always going to be a bit janky in places but for me the better ones add some much needed depth.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which ones would you recommend?

I'm curious even if they're PC only.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, too many to remember. I was looking at this earlier as a simple solution to the normal slog of putting together a functioning mod list. http://perfectlymodded.weebly.com/st...all-guide.html

Might take a little while to configure once it's running but it's preferable.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

I've fucking re-started again anyway. I'm going for a mage this time and I think I'm finally settled. Flinging fire around and reanimating corpses to fight for me is proving to me a more fun than knifing everyone in the back.

I'm trying to not fast travel at all on this new play through either, and discover all the various cities myself without just taking the carriage there. As a result the trek into the north to find and join the College of Winterhold felt like some sort of properly epic journey, complete with with multiple beat downs by sabre cats.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cutting out fast travel is great, it makes the game so much bigger. Unfortunately most of the quests don't take this into account and will think nothing of sending you right across the map to go a find a hat someone misplaced once so it does tend to get tiresome after a while.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for stealth in Bethesda games being a bit dull and not fast travelling.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the stealth more OP than any other 'class' once you level far enough? You can make armour that negates all damage and enchant it so it costs nothing to use offensive spells and I can say from experience that it totally ruined that particular save. The issue with it in Skyrim (for me) was that the missions that used it weren't a patch on the ones from Oblivion. Some of the assassinations were ok but the Thieves Guild ones all seemed to descend into yet another dungeon crawl.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're making me want to start again with some axe wielding maniac.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Is the stealth more OP than any other 'class' once you level far enough? You can make armour that negates all damage and enchant it so it costs nothing to use offensive spells and I can say from experience that it totally ruined that particular save. The issue with it in Skyrim (for me) was that the missions that used it weren't a patch on the ones from Oblivion. Some of the assassinations were ok but the Thieves Guild ones all seemed to descend into yet another dungeon crawl.
    Enchanting needs to be used responsibly otherwise I'd agree that it entirely breaks the game. I had some self imposed limits when I was balls deep in the game before, but I can't remember for the life of me what they were.

Same goes for Alchemy, which makes gold redundant from about 5 minutes in if you abuse it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying taking it at a slow pace, without actively trying to grind stuff too much. I'm level 20 and have about 10k gold, plus Breezehome.

Enjoying using a two-handed hammer and some Conjuration, both of which are different for me. I was an Elven Mage last time (5 years ago...)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It always has been broken to be fair, you can make yourself totally invisible in Oblivion without too much trouble as well as making weapons that would kill gods (one hitting Mehrunes Dagon for instance) and Morrowind? Well put it this way you can legitimately complete the game in about 10 minutes by abusing alchemy to buff yourself beyond belief.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trick of choice has always been to sneak with a full set of heavy, enchanted gear stuffed down my pants in case things get hairy.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still really struggling to get back into this. F4 might be on the same engine but the combat (and having VATS) is so much better.

Doesn't help that I played it to death before as well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Still really struggling to get back into this. F4 might be on the same engine but the combat (and having VATS) is so much better.

Doesn't help that I played it to death before as well.
    What style are you going with? Is it different to what you did previously?

I'm still enjoying it. Up to level 25 now I think, going with a mix of Heavy Armour, Two-Handed and some Conjuration on the side for distraction/scouting. Faendal provides long-range support. I'm looking forward to picking up J'Zhargo at the Winterhold when I get there though.

I've got into the modding which has added some great tweaks here and there. It's not massively different but fixes quite a lot of the niggles which exist in the game and adds a bit of extra depth here and there.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent some time grinding (in a non-Mert way) Conjuration so now I'm about level 80 in that, which means I can now summon Draemora Lords

Had an epic journey over to the College Of Winterhold which took most of the evening. Worth it though, to be able to unleash those beasts on people.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)