User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism / Veganism

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Aren't the sort of people who get into veganism the same sort that are shit-scared of GMOs? They will be the first ones running away from meat made in a lab, who knows what CHEMICALS they put in there.
    From what I've gathered, pretty much everyone on this side of the Atlantic approach GMOs with caution. I think you have to have a GMO mark on the packaging if over 1% of the product contains or has been fed something genetically manipulated.

Banned
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I've already addressed what that was. Take out my own made up phrase and lolling at the imaginary twats who'd use it and I'm just asking a straight forward question about something someone else raised.

God help the sick when someone with your attention span is the one expected to cure them.
    That bolded bit is really great.

You keep lolling at those imaginary twats, John.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    From what I've gathered, pretty much everyone on this side of the Atlantic approach GMOs with caution. I think you have to have a GMO mark on the packaging if over 1% of the product contains or has been fed something genetically manipulated.
    It's illegal to grow GMO products in EU nations. It's the dumbest law ever.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was common knowledge so didn't put that in. The 1% for things outside of EU was aimed at Pepe as GMOs are way more widespread and don't have to be reported in the States.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meat is muder? Yeah. So are antibiotics. Enjoy the perma-syphilis.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two people comparing killing animals for meat to killing bacteria

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    109% super serious tbh.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Reg one of those preachy ones?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not preaching. Look at my previous post: many a chicken has been eaten. (And pigs, and cows...)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard those arguments, not sure I buy them. If we were to stop eating cows we would just mass murder them. All that land they fart around would be needed to grow food. Same as bullfighting, really. It is either breeding them only to be killed as part of a show or mass extinction. Not sure which one is better.
    We grow enough food to feed the entire world, the problem is distribution. The USA pays farmers not to grow certain crops to keep prices high.

It is a good question, though, of what would happen to all the cows. You could let the militant vegetarians take charge of them and see what happens.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could revere them, and let them (and us) fart everything out of existence.

Of course, you might well say we'd still have milk, but I'm not sure that's any better than just murdering the poor blighters, in ethical terms.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cows would go the same way as every other animal that we don't need for anything, they'd do ok as long we didn't need their homes and they didn't get in the way. Of course we're ignoring the fact that most farmed animals would not survive if we just turned them loose. Horses in particular are totally shit at being animals.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dairy cows would all die quick time simply from not being milked. Mass Mastitis. Yaaay.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    We grow enough food to feed the entire world, the problem is distribution. The USA pays farmers not to grow certain crops to keep prices high.

It is a good question, though, of what would happen to all the cows. You could let the militant vegetarians take charge of them and see what happens.
    Distribution would still be an issue whether we eat cows or not. But imagine a farmer. Right now he devotes a certain amount of land and resources (especially in today's high-tech farming) to growing cows. Once that is no longer lucrative, what will he do? Donate his land to the cows so they can live happily ever after? Keep putting resources into keeping them safe? The fuck will he, he'll get rid of each and every one of them and use his land to grow whatever is lucrative at the time.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All food involves killing a living thing, right? Plants may or may not feel pain but you're cutting it short to harvest it. Or whatever. I dunno.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being tasty and nutritious as well as relatively docile can be extremely beneficial on a species wide basis. Think how many more generations of cattle or sheep there have been since they were domesticated. Their genes have effectively outsourced foraging and protection from predators, quite clever really.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    All food involves killing a living thing, right? Plants may or may not feel pain but you're cutting it short to harvest it. Or whatever. I dunno.
    Breatharians, clearly the way forward.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, just don't worry about it. You're offing plants and animals but breeding them as well to extend their purpose as food. You could try natural causes farming but then you'd get into this weird supply / demand scenario where you're picking livestock on the basis of how much road they've left to run.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On top of that, Farmers would be trying to knacker them ASAP. I for one wouldn't fancy a steak that's been cut from a foot and mouth case.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or skipping on the TB vaccines because you need some space.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even remotely close to any kind of vegetarian, but it does surprise me how worked up some people get over the existence of vegans/vegetarians. It's like they find them vaguely threatening.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this thread inspired by this?

Some of the reaction is probably better: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/e..._contentcard34

The seethe on the waitress.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about at least. It's terrible.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalAussie View Post
    I'm not even remotely close to any kind of vegetarian, but it does surprise me how worked up some people get over the existence of vegans/vegetarians. It's like they find them vaguely threatening.
    http://www.rferl.org/content/georgia.../27766236.html

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise hating vegans was in the remit of the far right? It's like when anyone is a cunt they are immediately far right.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they were being called far right because they hate vegans. I think they also happened to be far right. I'd imagine there is a correlation though. Vegans will generally be lefties too.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like dangerous stereotyping to me. Nazi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vegan campaigner died up Everest. Her partner was pretty cut up about it. All over BBC news. Sad times for the vegan nation.

I don't get it myself. Eat meat, we are fucking omnivores. Have a mixed diet.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that three times looking for a joke.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure there is one and I just don't get it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a month of veganism in January, which was perfectly acceptable. I largely cook vegan, save for occasional use of eggs and cheese, and haven't used meat at home for nigh on 6 months or so. I'm in what's oft referred to as the flexitarian camp- eating meat but doing so sparingly. In my case it's just when having meals out.

I simply think we over consume meat, it's really quite unnecessary and I'm happy to reduce my consumption as most dishes I'd cook at home aren't improved at all for me with the addition of meat. For the same reasons, all of my fresh veg is from the local organic grocer as they source locally, reducing the carbon emissions from it's transportation.

I've no issue with GMO by the way, and argue in favour of it's use regularly.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merse is such a scenester cunt.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. I spent 2000-2012 bemoaning any vegetarian girlfriend (there were a few, it's often tallied with my 'type'), including when with one for 3 years. I've always been around 'scenes' where it's pretty popular - the hardcore punk scene had a history of fucking fights between the straight edge elements between vegans and veggies (that was in the Washington and NY 'Crew' scenes, but nonetheless it's indicative of the culture everywhere).

I got into it when both conquering some food fears around vegetables whilst also becoming more and more aware of the issues around mass production and transportation of food, both in terms of animal cruelty and environmental issues.

What I don't 'get' is why people are so opposed to other people not eating meat or being conscious of their meat consumption. It's sodding bizarre.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were scared of vegetables?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a steak for dinner.

Bloody lovely, it was.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You were scared of vegetables?
    Probably just one of those picky eaters that doesn't (well, didn't) like vegetables. The sort who are indulged too much as children.

I fucking hate them above all other kind of food habits people have.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather I ate everything until I was around 5 and was in hospital with digestion issues. I turned phobic of most foodstuffs when I came out and pretty much lived on quorn and rice or potato and beans for nearly another 7 years. My mother tried everything to make me overcome the fears but I'd starve myself before eating the dreaded meat or veg. I slowly started overcoming a lot of them from 12 onwards, meat first then most green veg.

Onion is still an issue. As are raw tomatoes. But with the former I do use them as the basis for soups and curries, stews etc when blended and eat around with no issues, able to deal with them sometimes when their presence isn't too noticeable.

It's ridiculous of course, but it causes me real anguish. I've tried all sorts. Including eating whole onions when about 13/14 and again aged around 22/23.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way it gets worse is when people claim they're allergic and aren't rather than having the scrap of spine required to just say they don't like it.

My sister's brother-in-law once told her he's got a serious allergy to onions. She pointed out that he's eaten in her house many times and whenever he's had her lasagnes and curries, amongst others, he's eaten plenty of onion. Funnily enough it turns out he's just a liar.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Probably just one of those picky eaters that doesn't (well, didn't) like vegetables. The sort who are indulged too much as children.

I fucking hate them above all other kind of food habits people have.
    It's so frustrating to see this happening, my pet hate is hearing someone saying things like Oh you won't like that.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The only way it gets worse is when people claim they're allergic and aren't rather than having the scrap of spine required to just say they don't like it.

My sister's brother-in-law once told her he's got a serious allergy to onions. She pointed out that he's eaten in her house many times and whenever he's had her lasagnes and curries, amongst others, he's eaten plenty of onion. Funnily enough it turns out he's just a liar.
    I don't claim any allergy nor that it's anything other than ridiculous, but it's very much not by choice nor purely out of a dislike. Nor do I ever let anyone know outside of casual conversation. Where I can I avoid them and where I cannot I eat around or at worst grin and bear. It simply causes me a lot of discomfort. As I say, I use it blended voluntarily and dearly wish it didn't make me uncomfortable given how ubiquitous an ingredient it is.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merse View Post
    Rather I ate everything until I was around 5 and was in hospital with digestion issues. I turned phobic of most foodstuffs when I came out and pretty much lived on quorn and rice or potato and beans for nearly another 7 years. My mother tried everything to make me overcome the fears but I'd starve myself before eating the dreaded meat or veg. I slowly started overcoming a lot of them from 12 onwards, meat first then most green veg.

Onion is still an issue. As are raw tomatoes. But with the former I do use them as the basis for soups and curries, stews etc when blended and eat around with no issues, able to deal with them sometimes when their presence isn't too noticeable.

It's ridiculous of course, but it causes me real anguish. I've tried all sorts. Including eating whole onions when about 13/14 and again aged around 22/23.
    Definitely a scenester.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eating full onions.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to stop outing myself as a mental by opening up on here really.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it raw or did you cook it? Eating a full raw onion must be up there with paedophilia.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried both.

Raw and whole, and cooked and chopped and god knows how many times of just 'in stuff'. Never stops being unpleasant.

Yet, as I say, it's the base of my curries and soups (probably 2-4 meals a week) and I use onion powder in various other dishes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onion powder? The fuck is that?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take three guesses.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but it probably smells like your cunt.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but it probably smells like your cunt.
    What a tremendously unexpected vulgar post.

I love it.