User Tag List

Thread: A Song of Ice & Fire - Book Pace (so no whinging about spoilers)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Song of Ice & Fire - Book Pace (so no whinging about spoilers)

We'd better have this because asking in the tv thread is only going to cause ructions.

I'm assuming the Connington/Targaryen reveal hasn't happened on tele yet? Understandable as it could be confusing to have two cliffhanger endings so they just used Snuuuurrrrrrs shivving and presumably will do this bit later. Shame really as the fallout made a great ending to the last book.

Anyway, additional book shit (Martin, lololol etc) in here too please.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope that they somehow set in place what the books had done with Dorne, otherwise there was absolutely no point in all that shambolic story and acting.

It was shit in the books too but at least they were going somewhere with it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not watched it but I remember the book bits being what I assume was a setup/precursor to there being a Targaryen for each dragon, the object lesson being that guy getting his face roasted off. It's a while since I read those bits although I remember being less than pleased when having to read a POV actually set in Dorne.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanderson should have Martin done in and make his pitch.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens with Dorne in the books?

The show trailer had a bloke with a King's Guard helmet and a dragon sigil so presumably there's some tasty Targaryen reveals to come via flashback.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bit I'm thinking of has one of the Princes and his mates (I read it too long ago to be remembering all the names) going to visit Danaerys because he has Targaryen heritage and they think he'll be naturally able to control/use the dragons as she seems to. You can guess how well that works out. I only remember the political stuff being less than gripping.

There is a Targaryen related reveal and if there's flashbacks and you're aware of the 'Three Targaryen/Three Dragons' theory it shouldn't be too hard to guess what it is. Despite this being the book thread I won't spell it out unless you really want me to, assuming you haven't googled it already.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doran had been secretly working against the Lannisters, I believe he had set up a marriage pact between his daughter (not in the show) and Viserys.

Also, said daughter wanted to get Myrcella crowned.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quentyn Martell. What a useless ponce.

Myrcella isn't dead in the books is she? Or have I made that up?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She isn't.

She was wounded by Gerold Dayne aka 'Darkstar' and on her way back to Kings Landing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm genuinely surprised there is no Jon Connington storyline in the TV show.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That storyline has to happen if only so Varys can have his moment. That's probably one of my favourite bits in any of the books, it was a welcome relief from the constant 'I hope this is going to be an Arya chapter' waiting game.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I couldn't understand why Myrcella was killed off in the show because she is pretty integral to the Dorne storyline. Killing her off whilst not even having Quentyn appear (not that he mattered much) has made Dorne truly pointless.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely they will introduce the young pretender and his mates in this series, although the show has been very low on that sort of stuff really.

That said there is a lot more of an air of mystery in the books, particularly around characters being able to conceal their identity at different points. You can't do that on TV because the viewer is omniscient.