PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls 3

Dark Soldier
11-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Considering its out for most of us (cheeky scrubs buying it from Asia aside) in about two hours. here's the thread.

I'm going in at midnight for a couple of hours to get a feel for it, then starting properly tomorrow. Been a long wait but the hype is insane.

Anyone else bothering on release?

Shindig
11-04-2016, 09:41 PM
My copy finally got dispatched this afternoon. I'll probably be picking it up from a sorting office on Wednesday morning. :moop:

Listened to a couple of video reviews (because I'm not watching any actual content. I don't want to see ANYTHING.) and it looks like the game you probably want. Someone compared to MGS4 in terms of fan services but I'd love this game to actually deliver some closure. Anything to avoid us making the same choice for a third game running.

Andrew
11-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Payday Thursday so be picking it up from Tesco or some place then, it looks like a hybrid of Bloodborne and Dark Souls which suits me fine as I love both games.

Only game I've been genuinely excited for in a long time.

Alex
11-04-2016, 10:22 PM
My was dispatched today too, so it should be here tomorrow. Ideally I want to finish the first one before I dive in but that probably isn't going to happen in the next 24 hours, and I've got Wednesday off work. What am I going to do, not play it? :moop:

Dark Soldier
11-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Half an hour holy shit :drool:

Got a free theme and soundtrack too, £50 digital is ridculous.

Mike
12-04-2016, 05:54 AM
So I got this overnight on PC. That's my day sorted. Or an hour of it before I get lost, die and then sulk. :cool2:

Baz
12-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Is it worth even bothering if you've never played a Dark Souls game before?

Shindig
12-04-2016, 08:40 AM
If you've any reservations, grab one of the earlier games on the cheap. Seems my copy's coming through Yodel. Its nowhere near me and I'm off to work in 15 minutes. Nearest depot is Team Valley. Arse.

Mike
12-04-2016, 10:25 AM
:D

Can't even do the boss in the tutorial bit.

phonics
12-04-2016, 01:49 PM
If I only went 2 handed in DS2 (I hate blocking in all games) and got up to the Samurai boss person before deciding enough is enough (well not really, they put a giant mini boss inbetween the bonfire and the boss and I lost 40k souls and rage quit forever)

Am I going to get my ass kicked? Every video has people with shields and that's the exact opposite of how I play. I want to be fast as fuck, rolling around and fucking people up. Does that playstyle exist?

Dark Soldier
12-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Yes but you have to be good at the game. I do the majority 2-handed.

phonics
12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't need to git gud. I was born gud. Any specific classes/stats I need to boost to make the playstyle more viable? In DS2 I just dumped a shit load into the one that gave you more invincibility frames (Poise?) and nothing else.

Mike
12-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Restarted as a Knight and kicked that first guys ass at the second time of asking. Easy this.

Dark Soldier
12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I don't need to git gud. I was born gud. Any specific classes/stats I need to boost to make the playstyle more viable? In DS2 I just dumped a shit load into the one that gave you more invincibility frames (Poise?) and nothing else.

Go for whatever you like, the beauty of the game is the discovery.

Mike: You faced the other 'thing' in the starter area?

Mike
12-04-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't think so?

Dark Soldier
12-04-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't think so?

Have a look around near the absolute start, there's another path with much joy ;)

Dark Soldier
12-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Two and a half hours in, two bosses down, first major area cleared. Its an absolute beauty, Souls crossed with Bloodborne :drool:

Shindig
12-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Yodel decided not to bother delivering this and are trying again tomorrow.

Andrew
12-04-2016, 08:09 PM
The wait for payday is killing me I need this game now!!!!!

phonics
12-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Fuck me, avoid the PC version at all costs. I've crashed 7 times just getting to Lothric. (Running: 1.03)

Did it all 2 handed though, so much better than shielding. I say that knowing I absolutely fluked it when he knelt down stunned right next to me when I hadn't even rolled. Got him with the last hit of Stamina when I had not even a visible health bar.

phonics
12-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Fixed the crashing bug. Turn lighting to low in settings.

Mike
12-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Not a single crash here yet, thankfully.

Shindig
13-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Its here. Going to stream a blind playthrough for the sake of it.

www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc

Mike
13-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Have a look around near the absolute start, there's another path with much joy ;)

Much joy!! "you died" :D

Mike
13-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Easy!

Alex
13-04-2016, 04:29 PM
I've gone in as a Herald, mainly because I wanted to do something other than Knight. And the cape looks cool. I probably should have just gone Knight though. The spear is a bit shit and the healing miracle is pretty useless. But at least I look good.

Mike
13-04-2016, 04:37 PM
I just pegged it full speed past a massive dragon! EEP

Shindig
13-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I've found my first Black Knight.

Dark Soldier
13-04-2016, 06:04 PM
He's fun isn't he!

I got absolutely wrecked by two NPC invaders fighting alongside two real invaders earlier. Four on one, got cornerfucked. Lovely :drool:

Shindig
13-04-2016, 06:40 PM
The only thing that's bothering me is that I haven't met a boss for ages.

Alex
13-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I just pegged it full speed past a massive dragon! EEP

I've met him too. Not sure what to do about him. I think just leave him there?

I think I've done every thing there is to do in this area now, other than the boss fight. I can see where it is as well, so on to that I suppose. Thank fuck for the shortcut I've just unlocked too, which will make the inevitable multiple trips back to him a lot easier.

The spear is now "Fire Spear +1" and faring a little better, thankfully. Flaming backstabs for everyone! One more dexterity point can start swinging around the Halbert I've picked up though.

Seems to be more about the dodging in this one. I know it's always been about the dodging really, but the parry seems a lot harder to pull off now and the doges seem quicker and don't seem to use as much stamina.

phonics
13-04-2016, 07:20 PM
I've met him too. Not sure what to do about him. I think just leave him there?

I think I've done every thing there is to do in this area now, other than the boss fight. I can see where it is as well, so on to that I suppose. Thank fuck for the shortcut I've just unlocked too, which will make the inevitable multiple trips back to him a lot easier.

The spear is now "Fire Spear +1" and faring a little better, thankfully. Flaming backstabs for everyone! One more dexterity point can start swinging around the Halbert I've picked up though.

Seems to be more about the dodging in this one. I know it's always been about the dodging really, but the parry seems a lot harder to pull off now and the doges seem quicker and don't seem to use as much stamina.

I bow and arrow cheesed him to fuck :cool:

Assassin is so fucking cool. I'm just going round doing backflips and shit.

Dark Soldier
13-04-2016, 07:33 PM
You can just run past the dragon. Roll through or shield his fire sweep, and the fire left on the ground does miniscule damage.

Shindig
13-04-2016, 08:13 PM
That's me done for the day. 7 hours, 5 major areas, two bosses. I see what looks like a boss door in two areas but can't trigger them. I'd also consider this big fella I found to be boss-like.

phonics
13-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Fixed the crashing bug. Turn lighting to low in settings.

Or not :D Fucking lol.

A serious fix to this bug seems to be standing next to the bonfire for an extended period of time and then it's 50/50 if it'll crash at the next bonfire. Fucking sick.

I did enjoy Vinny Caravella's Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Crash edition bit.

Alex
14-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Lads, the first proper boss ("Vordt") has killed me an embarrassing number of times now. :(

I don't even think he's that hard on paper, but the execution is proving impossible. I can nail him until about two thirds of his health is gone every time without fail, then he goes mental and I can't get the fucker off of me.

Shindig
14-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I managed by getting under him and rolling out of his big charge attacks.

Alex
14-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Panic over gentlemen, he's dead. We were minutes away from a full-on meltdown there though. Fucking hell.

Alex
14-04-2016, 07:34 PM
I managed by getting under him and rolling out of his big charge attacks.

Yeah, I just stayed put underneath him in the end and poked away at him with the spear. It was kind of doing that all along, it's just that half way through when he starts charging around he was tearing me to shreds.

I might just go full on tank mode now. Get rid of this spear, whack a load of points into vitality and go the heavy armour/big fucking sword route.

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 07:38 PM
With all tall human style bosses or enemies. Get close, circle right and use the roll i-frames to dodge and attack. Makes the game so much easier once you learn it. If you can keep your stamina bar from emptying you'll win.

I'm 11 hours in, level 40, three proper bosses down and three areas fully cleared. Rocking a proper amazing weapon with A str scaling, and some bad ass armour. Double handing all the way.

It's really the culmination of all the games, every positive aspect of each brought together to create a beautiful, gorgeous, fluid masterpiece (so far, anyway).

Yevrah
14-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I saw Dark Souls II (the Xbox One upgraded edition) on Simply Games today for £17, so I've ordered it.

Does it differ for the better from the last gen original?

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 07:56 PM
It's just a port I think. Still got slowdown in Blighttown etc. PC version with DSFix is still the best version.

Edit: just saw you meant 2. Scholar is fucking terrible with ludicrous enemies added in dickhead areas. Gave up after about four bosses.

Yevrah
14-04-2016, 07:59 PM
So it's much much harder than the original?

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Put it this way, there's a dragon near like the third fucking boss for zero fucking reason. There's more enemies in mobs, and later game enemies have been randomly put in earlier areas.

Its still very playable, but its just change for the sake of it imo. They've tried to justify it with some lore bullshit but it makes little to no sense.

phonics
14-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Thought I;'d recovered from last nights anger, got 3 foot from the bonfire and I crashed. I just laughed.

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Issues with Xbox version too, it fucks up and won't download patch. PS4 is perfect, luckily.

PC versions are always a secondary consideration, bar 2 which has handled by the B team and they developed properly for PC.

phonics
14-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Issues with Xbox version too, it fucks up and won't download patch. PS4 is perfect, luckily.

PC versions are always a secondary consideration, bar 2 which has handled by the B team and they developed properly for PC.

They bought on Durante who fixed DS1 for this PC so I had hoped it'd be a similar carry on for the third. However, this exact problem has been reported for weeks (reviewers were having the same issues) and they've done nothing about it. It's a farce.

Shindig
14-04-2016, 08:56 PM
What card are you on? Some people seem to think there's a problem with AMD 700 series cards.

phonics
14-04-2016, 09:19 PM
GTX 670. I listened to the Bombcast, they're wrong.

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Buy a console you PC scrub

phonics
14-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Buy a console you PC scrub

Half the PC for half the price and a thousandth of the usefulness. No thanks.

Dark Soldier
14-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Solid bite, I'll take it. Liking the game when it works?

phonics
14-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Solid bite, I'll take it. Liking the game when it works?

Fucking loving it which is making it all the more frustrating. Every time you get on a solid run and think, "I'm owning these cunts" the screen freezes and you get the Microsoft Windows version of 'YOU HAVE DIED'

And the game needs that 15 minutes of warm-up, it reminds me of playing Starcraft 2. First game doesn't count. If I play perfectly I win, if I don't I have to react increasingly weirdly to repair the situation and sometimes my reactions cause me to die even faster/when I wouldn't die at all. Sometimes the opposition fucks up in the face of a win. It's the same rush. It's incredible.

Baz
15-04-2016, 12:22 AM
18GB :moop:

Shindig
15-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Man, I need some DEX. Missing one more boss fight but I beat that axe-swinging fatty near the Vordt door.

Alex
15-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Man, I need some DEX. Missing one more boss fight but I beat that axe-swinging fatty near the Vordt door.

Assuming we're talking about the same guy, I spent about ten minutes (and wasted load of firebombs) throwing shit at him from the roof. :D

He didn't even drop anything in the end, and he re-spawned.

I'll tell you who I really want to get, that quick bastard with the big sword hanging around outside Firelink to the left. He's so fucking fast though.

Dark Soldier
15-04-2016, 12:34 PM
You get a good reward for doing him in. Hes mainly there to help you learn the parry system.

phonics
15-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Can you still parry when playing two handed or no?

Dark Soldier
15-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Can you still parry when playing two handed or no?

I don't parry so no idea. I'm guessing you can with certain weapons.

Alex
15-04-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't think you can party two handed at all, as far as I'm aware you need something in the left hand capable of doing the parrying move.

Whether you can get a shield out, parry, quickly switch to two handed and then riposte, I'm not sure.

Parrying seems a lot harder to time in this one anyway. I think anyway.

phonics
15-04-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't think you can party two handed at all.

I've been doing that all my life bro

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Edward-40-Hands-drinking-games-457854_450_338.jpg

Alex
15-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Excellent.

Shindig
15-04-2016, 09:22 PM
I can't parry with my favoured shield anyway. It opts for a ground pound.

phonics
16-04-2016, 01:25 PM
I've fixed the crashing by restarting as a Knight. What a dumb game.

I raised the banner and am now somewhere else. I really don't like the Souls mechanic though. I wish there was a better way, maybe not just keep the souls from your last death or whatever. Each death location would have the amount of souls you died with. It's just really frustrating to lose what feels like well earned progress because this time the camera janked out and you got stuck rolling into boxes non stop.

Shindig
16-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I've restarted. 11 hours in, hit a wall.

phonics
16-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm around the area of the massive tree that seems to be invincible. Apparently he's optional but you need to do it to turn souls into weapons or something?

Is it worth doing? It seems really tedious.

edit: I'm in the undead settlement and my R2 does 149 damage, every enemy has 150 hp but I need 4k to level up. It's annoying.

Alex
16-04-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm at the same point as you phonics. The tree seems very doable on paper, he's big and slow there's room to manoeuvre. It's just that having to hit him in the right places coupled with navigating the undead village wankers who flock around him is a ball ache. It's not a very fun boss fight at all. Even when I was getting torn to shreds by the ice dog thing in the High Wall area it was at least an exhilarating experience.

phonics
16-04-2016, 06:10 PM
By the way, I've upgraded that Ugitimarhu thing you get from the bloke Alex mentioned next to the shrine. I'd forgot you needed to teleport to the High Wall when you first start so was running round like a mentalist for 20 minutes, stumbled across him and did him in on my first try. I absolutely love the move set, the R2 has a wind up but if you get your distances right you can hit someone from half the room away.

149 damage though, fucking annoying.

Alex
16-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Have you got any titanite that you can upgrade it with?

phonics
16-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Have you got any titanite that you can upgrade it with?

Yeah I did it once which is what pumped me up to there. Need 2 more shards to get it to +2.

I talked to one of these guys with a rock on their back and he said he didn't die and turn into a statue like he was supposed to and would join my team. However, I haven't seen him since, what's going on? Who's the bloke at Firelink Shrine who's all sad that we're shit and have to fight the lords of cinder? Everyone else seems to have a purpose.

Dark Soldier
16-04-2016, 07:50 PM
With the tree just run in and roll. Ignore the other fuckers. Its weak point are those little bubble things hanging all over its body and hands. Get your vigor to about 22-24 relatively early as in this health is important, shit hits very hard later.

I'm about 6 bosses down, all first go HYPE. I've got one path to take now, rocking a Butcher's Knife +4 which does about 240 damage per hit, and a Large Club +3
infused with that gem that improves STR scaling so its at A scaling now. Can only get three hits off before stamina depletes but its hitting for about 320 damage.

About Level 55 or so as I'm spending nearly all my souls on levelling right now. High STR and VIG, and improved VIT/END and a couple points in DEX, plus one wasted point in Attunement.

One boss battle is up there with the best of Souls, absolutely fucking brutal if you can't time your roll.

Shindig
16-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Is that the Abyss Watchers?

That fight is nuts. I dunno how I'll get past that. The Tree's fine as soon as he hits his second phase. Back to almost where I was now.

Dark Soldier
16-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Yeah Shindig. I got lucky as

I killed the first phase using seven fucking estus, leaving me with 3. Got the last hit in just as one of my messages was rated, gave me full health and three estus for second phase. Beat him with a slither of health and no estus left.

Seriously amazing fight.

Shindig
17-04-2016, 07:32 AM
I just know somewhere someone is trying a pacifist run of that first phase. Found Crystal Sage last night. Turns out I missed a bonfire. Just solo'd another boss. Managed to +4 a weapon due to some crystal lizards dropping large shards.

Shindig
17-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Man, I'm glad that fight's done. That first phase is key to surviving that.

Alex
17-04-2016, 09:01 PM
I didn't really like the previous build and it was bugging me so I re-started earlier today (I blame Shinners for planting that seed :D) and things have gone a lot better so far.

I've fucked the Herald off (I think I was throwing away too many initial stat points in areas I couldn't care less about) and just gone for a Knight again. I've taken DS's very sound advice about loading in on Vigour early on and tanked my way through to the Cathedral of the Deep, basically blunt forcing the shit out of anyone/thing that gotten in my way, Fire Longsword + 3 being the current bludgeoning tool of choice.

I'm confident that I pretty much cleaned out High Wall and Undead Settlement but I think there might be quite a bit still to find in the Road of Sacrifices. I felt like I got through that area a bit quickly.

phonics
17-04-2016, 10:17 PM
I'm absolutely lost in the Undead Settlement, I'm just running round in circles, everywhere connects to each other and I'm just arriving back at other bonfires. I found an elevator once and a guy that looked like an onion but I've got no idea where it was.

Dark Soldier
17-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Onion bro is a boss. If you do his quest he'll be valuable, guy is tanky as fuck.

Shindig
18-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Watching some of the stuff on DSP's channel to see a) how shit he is and b) how easy the unpatched Japanese version was.

He gets through the toughest boss at the second attempt and still has time to sit around going, "DEWD, THEY'RE FIGHTING EACH OTHER! AG-AH-AG-AG" <seal clap> Its going to make editing a This is How You Don't Play very difficult.

phonics
18-04-2016, 09:09 AM
No but seriously, what general direction am I supposed to head in. I walked around in a circle for three hours yesterday.

Alex
18-04-2016, 03:26 PM
No but seriously, what general direction am I supposed to head in. I walked around in a circle for three hours yesterday.

I've you're after the next area then you want to go back to that tower with the elevator (where you found the onion knight) and take the elevator down. Through there is where you're headed.

phonics
18-04-2016, 05:52 PM
But where is that elevator? I figured I had to go there but I couldn't find it. Same with the sewer, I went there once and I cheesed the shit out of a rat that couldn't climb ladders. I just get lost.

Dark Soldier
18-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Pay attention to your surroundings and the world lay out. Its part of the game, you're never gonna get a Far Cry map to help you out.

Shindig
18-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Start from the last bonfire you unlocked.

Alex
18-04-2016, 07:35 PM
But where is that elevator? I figured I had to go there but I couldn't find it. Same with the sewer, I went there once and I cheesed the shit out of a rat that couldn't climb ladders. I just get lost.

Go to the "Dilapidated Bridge" bonfire, cross the bridge on the right as you spawn and go through the door to the sewers (assuming you opened it from the other side when you were in there last), down the ladder, right through all the rats and up the ladder at the other end to exit the sewer. Then there should be a bridge in front of you with three of those big bastards with the saws and giant pots at the other side. Cross that bridge, follow the path round to the left and up the hill. That's where the tower with the elevator is.

Shindig
18-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Cathedral of the Deep done. First try on the boss, too. Level 38.

phonics
19-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Go to the "Dilapidated Bridge" bonfire, cross the bridge on the right as you spawn and go through the door to the sewers (assuming you opened it from the other side when you were in there last), down the ladder, right through all the rats and up the ladder at the other end to exit the sewer. Then there should be a bridge in front of you with three of those big bastards with the saws and giant pots at the other side. Cross that bridge, follow the path round to the left and up the hill. That's where the tower with the elevator is.

So I somehow managed to get to the elevator without going through the sewers the last time, I have no idea how I managed it. In frustration at my lack of progress, I bought the Gate Key from the lady and went through the sewer to progress somewhere and came out at the elevator. I couldn't believe it. I then proceeded to get from there all the way to opening the massive door with the 3 towers. I made a mental amount of progress. Then just to finish off I went and killed off that big tree thing with absolute ease. What a satisfying night of Dark Soulsing.

One question I did ask is about the 'Warrior that lays ahead' (There's 2 of them, one has a big sword and the other has some sort of club)

After I killed one there was this strange sucking noise and the other one seemed to be in the middle of a surrender animation or something as I got my last hit off. (the entire fight was a joke, I kept running up a small hill and then rolling off of it to create a few yards of space) Then when he died the noise stopped and I picked up their weapons.

Did I miss something here as the sound makes me feel like I did

Shindig
19-04-2016, 07:17 PM
I usually get done by one so I don't see that situation out.

phonics
19-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Abyss Watcher. Lol. Just lol. That's that, I'm never playing Dark Souls again shit.

Dark Soldier
19-04-2016, 09:13 PM
All that boasting early days and now this. Man up lad ;)

phonics
19-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I can do the normal bit (just) but that second phase is an absolute monster. I've got in 3 hits total over 12 tries.

Shindig
19-04-2016, 09:52 PM
He's not got that much health on him. He just goes a bit loco. He's like Artorias. On fire. Also, how have I missed all three bonfires in the area after that fight?

Dark Soldier
19-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Roll into attacks, which leads you behind the guy. As/when/if he does more than one attack just roll into those. Check stamina, patience, get in one or two hits, rinse and repeat. Its just ultra aggressive, but having played Bloodborne helps with that.

Baz
20-04-2016, 06:38 AM
Still not played this but the more I read, the more I'm put off. Will give it a blast over the weekend probably. Any tips for complete beginners?

Shindig
20-04-2016, 07:12 AM
If you have enough for a level, run back to the bonfire and cash in.
Learn enemy attack patterns.
If you see an item, go for it. There's no shame in a suicide run.
Explore everywhere.
At some point souls won't matter.
Know your stamina meter. Its crucial to how you can move and by how much.

phonics
20-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Roll into attacks, which leads you behind the guy. As/when/if he does more than one attack just roll into those. Check stamina, patience, get in one or two hits, rinse and repeat. Its just ultra aggressive, but having played Bloodborne helps with that.

I actually beat it without reading this, I managed to get off about 6 lucky backstabs. I've unlocked his weapon and it's actually a lot of fun to use considering I'm not a big fan of the slow swords, it seems to stun them half the time I hit them.

I'm now in a section with constantly respawning skeletons.

Shindig
20-04-2016, 09:31 PM
You're catching up to me. I am in murder town. Found an optional area too. Complete with optional boss and optional deaths.

Shindig
21-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Man, that was almost it for me. Finally got through it with some prodding from a walkthrough.

Shindig
22-04-2016, 08:52 PM
King of Murder Town was fun. I also beat Demon Throwback. His arena makes me think they've all got the assets ready for a Dark Souls Remastered.

Dark Soldier
22-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Had a load of irl shit going on so not touched this in a week. The itch is real.

Shindig
23-04-2016, 09:22 PM
I think this game has peaked. Wow.

phonics
24-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Just got to the boss in the Catacombs. Christ, he's massive.

Shindig
24-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Limmy's getting twice as many views as DSP on this.

Shindig
25-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Okay, there are some very good fights in this. Nearing the end. Two manditory bosses left. Maybe two optional ones I've yet to see.

phonics
26-04-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm at the Cathedral of the Deep, I got to a point where I had to cross over that sewery bit on the criss cross beams where a giant Paladin fucker smashed me off. Twice. 22 Thousand Souls. Gone :(

Shindig
26-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Pfffft. That doesn't even cost a level to me at this point. The penultimate fight is still crushing me. And my vigor is low so I can't tank it.

Shindig
27-04-2016, 09:29 PM
I've summoned, it's done. NG+ doesn't trigger til you say so, like in Dark Souls 2.

phonics
01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Ive finished the Cathedral and am about half way through Ithyryll. How far am I from completion at this point? Ages right as I still only have one lord of cinder?

P.s. I think the Deacons may just be the easiest boss in Dark Souls history.

Shindig
01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Maybe a third/half way there? I'm enjoying NG+ at the moment. Seems like an easier ramp that NG.

phonics
04-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Got lost, ended up just following items, found a bonfire at 'The Delapidated Manor'. Sick.

Wasted two levels on Stamina though when I have about a million of it. How do you respec?

I bought the healing spell (it said I have enough faith or whatever) and have attuned it onto me. No clue how to cast it though and it's greyed out in the items menu.

Shindig
04-05-2016, 10:20 PM
You respec somewhere in the Cathedral of the Deep but I've never, ever found it. If your spell is greyed out, you probably need a talisman or chime equipped to use it. Two more bosses (I'm not doing the remaining optional one because.. y'know) left in NG+ but I feel at my limit.

phonics
05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Eat it Pontiff CuntFace :cool:

phonics
05-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Killed Lord of Cinder. Died at same time. Enemy I've killed 100 times over kills me. GG.

Shindig
05-05-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm putting this game on ice for now. Watching LobosJr's speedrun attempts have made me realise how bollocks the penultimate fight is.

EDIT: Okay, Outsyder's This is How You Don't Play is 7 hours long. Fuck.

phonics
08-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Three down. Lothric to go :cool:

Shindig
11-05-2016, 08:13 AM
That's where I finally quit this game. I've beaten Lothric solo once but I cannot abide by the bullshit they pull.

EDIT: Last ending unlocked and I finally beat the last boss at the third attempt.

Shindig
14-05-2016, 10:54 PM
The platinum is on. Beat the hardest boss in this. It's more luck than difficulty. I feel awesome.

phonics
18-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Got up to the bit where you kill the two Dragons and have to kill the Dragon Walker or something.

Think I'm done. Lost my passion.

Shindig
18-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Dragonslayer Armour's an okay fight. You're not far out from the end, to be fair.

phonics
19-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Yeah I figured, I just can't be bothered. When I'm into a game and I'm sitting doing something else I just feel compelled to play it and it's all about finishing it before that fades.

I just want to play Doom now.

Shindig
20-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm pushing for the platinum. NG++ now. And it's piss.

ItalAussie
20-05-2016, 11:22 PM
The last page of this thread is great.

"I'm definitely done."
"OK, so I beat the boss dude."
"Now I'm definitely done."
"Yeah, I'm pushing on. But I'm going to be done soon, for sure."

Shindig
21-05-2016, 05:34 AM
I've definitely played it more than the first Dark Souls, even though I see it as a lesser game. It just seems.... kinda exploitable. Until the super optional boss on NG++. and piss poor drop rate for covenant items. The towel's thrown in. Time to play something else.

Shindig
06-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Platinum done. Took 4 playthroughs and 95 hours on a single character. Time to put this on a shelf and leave it.

Alex
16-03-2017, 07:47 PM
I doubt I even got half way through this in the end so, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to re-start the whole trilogy seeing as I've dicked about with all three to varying degrees but always ended up tailing off at some point.

I'm further with the first one that I've ever been at the moment. Last time I gave up in the Tomb of the Giants, because there's only so many times a man can get murdered in the darkness before he loses all hope. That was the first place I went after getting the lord vessel last time though, so this time I've given it a wide berth and gone to all the other available areas first, which has been good because they're all new areas to me.

I beat Seath the Scaleless a couple of days ago, who was quite easy actually. Those invisible walkways in the Crystal Cave would have fucked me completely were it not for the messages left by other plays though. I also spend fucking HOURS faffing about with the stairs in the Duke's Archives. That was annoying.

I've then had a day off work today and not really been able to tear myself away from it. Twatted the Four Kings, which after some initial confusion was really just an exercise in tanking up and just hacking the fuck out of them as quickly as possible. I've then beaten Ceaseless Discharge (tied with Gaping Dragon for the most disgusting boss name in the game :sick: ), Demon Firesage and the Centipede Demon.

I'm currently engaging in a seemingly endless series of suicide runs to try and kill Bed of Chaos, which I've broken away from so I can have moan about to you gentlemen. On paper should be easy because I know exactly what I've got to do but it's just tedious as fuck and he keeps swiping me off the edge. I'm pretty sure I got within seconds of doing it earlier and he hit me with some fire blast that incinerated me on impact, the wanker. :moop:

It's definitely doable though. It's just a really weird boss fight. I feel like I've missed out on Lost Izalith a bit as a level because I just ran through most of it. Because, you know, fuck those giant stone dragons or whatever they are that are wandering around down there. I can't be bothered with all that. I'm hoping that when I get out of here and return to the Tomb of the Giants (which I will have to do after this boss fight) I'll be such a walking tank that no amount of spiders, rabid dogs or whatever the fuck else it was that lived down there will be enough to pummel me into submission again. :flex:

Shindig
26-03-2017, 06:05 AM
Bed of Chaos is probably the most annoying trick fight. If you're that far, you might as well see it out.

Alex
27-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Bed of Chaos is probably the most annoying trick fight. If you're that far, you might as well see it out.

I did. I turned it back on about half an hour after that post and cracked it first time. Sometimes you just need to leave it alone for a bit I think.

I absolutely blitzed through the Tomb of the Giants too. I guess I was just a lot stronger than the last time I went there. The Zweihander +10 was absolutely flattening everything on site by this point. Nothing posed a threat at all, and Nito was easy.

Gwyn was pretty tough I guess, I would say I got him on maybe the tenth or fifteenth try, something like that? It was just the relentlessness of it that got me initially, he never lets you breathe. You have to constantly be on your toes to get a little bit of wiggle room. In the end he fell victim to being walloped to death by the aforementioned Zweihander and it's two handed heavy attack, just like everybody else before him. God bless that sword. :D

I loved the atmosphere in that boss fight. All the build up and then the Kiln of the First Flame is basically a burnt out shit hole and he's just sort of this husk of a man just hanging around a decrepit old bonfire. The sad music, the melancholy feel, it just worked very well. It almost made me feel bad for doing him in.

I'm on with the second one now, just got to the Lost Bastille. I think that's what it's called anyway? I killed the Flexile Sentry and took the boat there.

Shindig
27-03-2017, 06:44 PM
You're flying, then. Pursuer took me literal hours, first time around. I need to make my way back through the games again. The Kiln is an awesome area. The ghosts of the knights just wandering across your vision, the Black Knights you can farm for materials and then the boss fight. So good.

Alex
27-03-2017, 07:56 PM
You're flying, then. Pursuer took me literal hours, first time around. I need to make my way back through the games again. The Kiln is an awesome area. The ghosts of the knights just wandering across your vision, the Black Knights you can farm for materials and then the boss fight. So good.

Aye, I think playing through the first one and them moving straight into the second has helped a lot. I have dabbled in two before as well. I imagine the Pursuer would be a total pain in the arse that early in the game on a total new players learning curve.

Yeah, the ghosts wandering around as you walk into the Kiln was awesome. Just a great area in general. I didn't relight the flame either because, you know, I've spent the last fifty hours getting my head bashed in over this nonsense, so enough is enough. I'll be on my way, thanks.

Shindig
27-03-2017, 08:11 PM
It's Dark Souls. There are no good endings. Only terrible beginnings.

Alex
27-03-2017, 08:18 PM
This is very true. When I left the fire Frampt and all his creepy mates were waiting outside to anoint me as their new lord of darkness and what have you, not good. The sarcastic bloke at Firelink Shrine had it right, I really would have been better rotting in the asylum!

Alex
27-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Although I do like how the story is ultimately a load of vaguely related stuff that just happens, and you sort of have to decide for yourself what's going on. But at the same time the lore appears to be all there if you explore the world enough or pay enough attention. It's very cleverly put together.

Dark Soldier
27-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Are you gonna do Bloodborne at some point? Its the best Souls by far.

Alex
27-03-2017, 08:52 PM
I don't have a PS4 unfortunately. Although it is tempting for Bloodborne, it looks amazing. In fact, it seems to be shitting on the Xbox One in general when it comes to exclusives in recent years. :(

Shindig
27-03-2017, 08:53 PM
I mean, it might wind up on PS Now at some point. Providing your PC can handle streaming it.

Dark Soldier
27-03-2017, 09:00 PM
I don't have a PS4 unfortunately. Although it is tempting for Bloodborne, it looks amazing. In fact, it seems to be shitting on the Xbox One in general when it comes to exclusives in recent years. :(

If you can get hold of a PS4, even as a lend or summat I'll lend you the log in to my Yank account which has Bloodborne and you can play it, but it'd be offline only.

Shindig
27-03-2017, 09:30 PM
The only thing I know for certain about the lore for the first game is how it starts.

Dragons and trees. Then fire. Then blokes come from the darkness, find some powerful souls and are like, "These dragons need to move." So they fight dragons for a bit, win after some interference and the fire starts going out. The Witch of Izalith is like, "I can make fire from my soul so I'll give that a shot." Disastrous repercussions. Gwyn has to clean that up and then decides, "I'll sort this fire problem out."

WORLD FUCKED.

Alex
27-03-2017, 09:33 PM
The only thing I know for certain about the lore for the first game is how it starts.

Dragons and trees. Then fire. Then blokes come from the darkness, find some powerful souls and are like, "These dragons need to move." So they fight dragons for a bit, win after some interference and the fire starts going out. The Witch of Izalith is like, "I can make fire from my soul so I'll give that a shot." Disastrous repercussions. Gwyn has to clean that up and then decides, "I'll sort this fire problem out."

WORLD FUCKED.

When the inevitable, remastered repackaging of all three comes along in a couple of years that should go on the back of the box.

Dark Souls 2 (as far as I can tell so far) appears to have nothing to do with the first one, aside from some general "chosen undead" vagary.

Alex
27-03-2017, 09:36 PM
If you can get hold of a PS4, even as a lend or summat I'll lend you the log in to my Yank account which has Bloodborne and you can play it, but it'd be offline only.

:hat:

The only reason I don't own both, I suppose, is that one would end up gathering dust the majority of the time. Probably the Xbox if I'm honest, and I've had an Xbox of some description for so long that I'm quite attached to it and don't really want that to happen, as daft as that sounds.

Alex
29-03-2017, 07:44 PM
You seem to level quite a bit quicker on Dark Souls 2. I think by the time I finished the first one I was about level 85, and it was a slog to gather enough souls to hit the next one. I'm in the 70's already here and I'll still routinely gather enough souls to level a few times in one visit to there Herald. Which is a ball ache, by the way, having the travel back to Majula every time I want to do that.

In other news, I've smashed the Ruin Sentinels and Belfry Gargoyles #2 (this time there are five of them! Bit lazy that, but whatever) to bits. This was achieved, in large part, due to the Craftsman's Hammer being an absolute fucking battering ram of a thing. The longsword can have a rest for a bit, I''m smashing shit to pieces with this fucker for the foreseeable future. :cool:

Dark Soldier
29-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Yeah the levelling system works out differently in 2, you can reach wat you'd consider a high level and still find it a challenge. Its probably an offset of Souls 2 being the B team.

However, get agility to 20, wear no armour, and cakewalk the game due to rolling being OP, and the fact you can circle-strafe almost all enemies without fear.

Shindig
29-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Are you playing Scholar of the First Sin or just the normal Dark Souls 2 with no DLC?

Dark Soldier
29-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Also Pursuer has always been easy (AGL at near 20 here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX33AQdZWok

Shindig
29-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Aye, with the agility I'm fine. I usually don't have it in the pocket, though so I'm cheesing him on the first (well, second) encounter.

Alex
29-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Are you playing Scholar of the First Sin or just the normal Dark Souls 2 with no DLC?

SotFS. I never played the original Dark Souls 2 minus the DLC, so I'm not entirely sure what the differences are or whether I've yet to stumble into any of the DLC areas.

Also Pursuer has always been easy (AGL at near 20 here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX33AQdZWok

DS. :cool:

I ran away like a bitch when he turned up here. Literally rolled off the platform in a blind panic and legged it all the way back to the nearest bonfire. :D

Dark Soldier
29-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Heh tbf on my first ever playthrough he tore me a new one. I've always been a Subro on the Souls games, so end up mastering the bosses as I fight them so often.

Shindig
09-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Demon's Souls might be the most annoying of the lot. You lose so much ground with a death in that game because they haven't figured out shortcuts yet. My NG+ character got stumped by Phalanx because the fire buff does nothing and he regens his health. Might be the one souls game I never get a second run of.

Alex
15-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Did we not have a Bloodborne thread? We must have, right? I can't find it though.

Anyway, I bought a PS4 the other week, and that was the only thing I got for it (and one of the main reasons I bought it if I'm honest) so I've been logging quite a bit of time on it. It's very good. It's odd how just by tweaking a couple of the mechanics (namely getting rid of the shield and introducing that feature where you can recover your health by quickly twatting whoever just twatted you) can make for a quite a different game, it's definitely a much more aggressive affair. The gun/parry thing pissed me off no end at first, but I've grown to love it.

Disco
15-01-2018, 08:07 PM
I recently had a go at the beginning, the cane/whip thing yu gt early on is one the most fun weapons I've seen.

Shindig
15-01-2018, 08:45 PM
It's the only game in the series I actively look to parry.

Alex
15-01-2018, 08:54 PM
I recently had a go at the beginning, the cane/whip thing yu gt early on is one the most fun weapons I've seen.

I started with that too, definitely lot's of fun. Especially when you're switching it between the cane and the whip mid-combo. Plus, it seemed like the obvious weapon of choice for the discerning gentleman, and very much fit in with the classy, Victorian-era man about town look I was going for. :cool:

Unfortunately I then restarted a few hours in and re-built myself as a big, axe-wielding brute of a man. I'm disappointed in myself if I'm honest, but if Dark Souls has taught me anything it's that I'm at my absolute best when I dump points into strength and vitality and swing around something big, heavy and ideally two-handed. :D

Alex
15-01-2018, 08:58 PM
It's the only game in the series I actively look to parry.

I would agree with that. I did do it at various points in the Dark Souls games, but it was more of a curiosity to me in those. Sort of a little combat based party trick I would occasionally pull out.

On Bloodborne I'll regularly look to use it when I'm right in the thick of things though. Which, again, is probably a by-product of not having a 100% damage reduction shield to hide behind, you have to switch the play style up a little bit. Quite a lot of the big fuckers are surprisingly easy to parry as well. Even some of the bosses.

Shindig
15-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Yeah, the tells are pretty obvious with the big fellas in Central Yharnam having big windows to hit them in. Other than Bloodborne, I only parry for Gwyn in Dark Souls and that's it.

Andrew
16-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Dark Souls is being remastered and released on the current gen in May😎

phonics
16-01-2018, 02:10 PM
The last page of this thread is great.

"I'm definitely done."
"OK, so I beat the boss dude."
"Now I'm definitely done."
"Yeah, I'm pushing on. But I'm going to be done soon, for sure."

Turns out that post was where I was actually done.

Shindig
16-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Bet it looks great on that new rig.

Alex
23-05-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm mooting a purchase of the remaster. It doesn't look like they've done a great deal to it though (not that it needed improvement), the grass just moves a bit more realistically, shit like that. Might be nice for the increased online activity though.

Shindig
24-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Yeah, my PC can't do 1080/60fps on the PC original. As Digital Foundry discovered, no-one can because that engine can't deal with multi-cored CPUs. I barely had any online activity in all my years of playing it, though. I only remember being invaded twice in seven years because the PC port has buggered connectivity.

I'm looking forward to people starting the game, going down to the new Vamos bonfire and realising they're completely fucked, though. :D

Dark Soldier
24-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Yeah, my PC can't do 1080/60fps on the PC original. As Digital Foundry discovered, no-one can because that engine can't deal with multi-cored CPUs. I barely had any online activity in all my years of playing it, though. I only remember being invaded twice in seven years because the PC port has buggered connectivity.

I'm looking forward to people starting the game, going down to the new Vamos bonfire and realising they're completely fucked, though. :D

I was running 4k/60fps on the original with DSFix.

Played the Remaster a bit, it looks better, 60fps is always lovely, but OG with DSFix is still sexiest.

Shindig
24-05-2018, 08:09 PM
I could get 60 fps at 720p. It wouldn't be constant either. Adding HD textures into the mix was an exercise in seeing how long the game would put up with the texture loads. Quelaag breaks in an amazing way for me. At least with the remaster coming, I can do what I want with the PC release. Get that bad boy unpacked and get into the randomiser, Prepare to Die Again and Scorched Contract mods.

Still would've liked them to have done something with Bed of Chaos, mind.

Dark Soldier
24-05-2018, 08:19 PM
This is literally locked at 60fps where, if you PC can't handle it, the game runs at 1/2 speed or 1/3 speed. Its lol if ya PC is shite.

I yarred it cos fuck paying yet again and its good to be back. The parry is still so satisfying. Not arsed about online cos all I ever did was sunbro. Plus PC version is swamped with hackers already.

Shindig
24-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Think the only thing I missed on the original was going down to Ash Lake. No chance of me going for the platinum on it but I do fancy taking one of the Souls games to NG+7. Got Taurus Demon to kill himself on my last run. I felt so proud.

Alex
25-05-2018, 06:43 PM
This is literally locked at 60fps where, if you PC can't handle it, the game runs at 1/2 speed or 1/3 speed. Its lol if ya PC is shite.

I yarred it cos fuck paying yet again and its good to be back. The parry is still so satisfying. Not arsed about online cos all I ever did was sunbro. Plus PC version is swamped with hackers already.

I'm not sure I've ever experienced a more satisfying game mechanic than the parry in DS1. It momentarily made me feel like a God, every single time. :D

I still never managed to get one in on Gwyn though. :moop:

Shindig
25-05-2018, 08:10 PM
I parried him to death last time around. Nothing shows him up more. :D

Dark Soldier
25-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Nothing beats DkS2 circle strafing 95% of all enemies. Game is legit piss easy.

Shindig
26-05-2018, 06:11 AM
Yup. Played up to the Gargoyles last night. There's a lot of little things in there that make it worth the £25. Seeing a lot of Gravelord signs in my first playthrough, for starters. That never happened in the original.

phonics
26-05-2018, 03:02 PM
I've never played DS1. Is it worth going into it with a guide or just go in blind?

And if I like playing without a shield and just playing two handed, am I going to hate this one?

Dark Soldier
26-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Blind, and keep a shield for the parry, play the parry game in this. You can still two hand and dodge like the others.

phonics
26-05-2018, 06:56 PM
lol I can't even beat the Skeletons at the first bonfire without dying repeatedly.

Shindig
26-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Congratulations on what is a Dark Souls right of passage.

Dark Soldier
26-05-2018, 09:18 PM
:lol:

God bless you Phonics

Alex
26-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Just leg it past them and get the Zweihander, then proceed to use it to twat every body and thing into oblivion for the remainder of the game. :drool:

Shindig
26-05-2018, 10:30 PM
I've got a maxed out Black Knight Great Sword ready for the Lordvessel. My first invader felt it.

phonics
26-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Just leg it past them and get the Zweihander, then proceed to use it to twat every body and thing into oblivion for the remainder of the game. :drool:

Done that. You seem to need 24 strength to use it?

Dark Soldier
26-05-2018, 11:38 PM
Done that. You seem to need 24 strength to use it?

STR, VIT and END are you go to levellers first time. DEX if you want to go fast weapon. The rest are primarily miracle/pyro stats. Won't take too long to get to 24 STR.

Just get the early game scrub weapon and boss shit.

Shindig
27-05-2018, 03:26 PM
I'm wrapping mine up shortly. I can't be arsed with all bosses. Plus I'm guessing the Remastered trophies include all the DLC pyromancies, magic and weapons so .... don't think I'm going for that plat.

I'll echo what DS says about stats. You only really need STR, VIT and END for a first run. A tiny bit of DEX if you find a weapon you fancy. Upgrading your weapon does more that just basic stats, too. Not that I'll be upgrading mine any more. I just killed Andre. Best dropkick in the business. :cool:

phonics
27-05-2018, 03:28 PM
How do you Parry? I ran past it in the tutorial section.

phonics
27-05-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm playing over here if you fancy a laugh: https://www.twitch.tv/trip__tv/

Shindig
27-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Parrying is L2 at the right timing. Usually before their attack hits. Also, Kindling allows you to get five more estus charges. You can only kindle whilst human though.

Dark Soldier
27-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Gold Pine resin lad. Also bump ya res down that's why you're getting insane frame drops.

Shindig
27-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Done. Wrapped up in 13 hours which ... is shit but I didn't get the drops I was after until the end. The usual two spots hung me up but 60fps seems to make parry timings easier to nail. I've got some videos over at my twich channel but I'm not going to archive any of it.

www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc

phonics
27-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Gold Pine resin lad. Also bump ya res down that's why you're getting insane frame drops.

I just turned off a couple of things and it's fine now.

phonics
10-06-2018, 05:13 PM
I've been cursed. I'm a million miles away from being able to get it fixed. I'm never playing this game again.

Dark Soldier
10-06-2018, 05:42 PM
lol you absolute scrub

Shindig
10-06-2018, 05:49 PM
I never leave home without a Purging Stone. Although I was cursed on my first run and tried to circumvent it with the red eye ring.