PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry Primal

Alex
22-02-2016, 09:51 PM
This is out tomorrow I believe. Is anybody else going to give it a crack? I seem to remember the previous couple of instalments getting get a bit of interest around here.

I wasn't massively convinced to be honest, but I've taken the plunge and ordered it anyway. There's not a lot else about at the minute and I want something new to play. I thought 3 was quite good, and 4 was brilliant. The premise on this one is really interesting, I'm just not sure if they're going to be able to execute it successfully.

Fingers crossed though. I don't want to sound like I'm setting it up to disappoint, I just have a few concerns.

Shindig
22-02-2016, 10:11 PM
They made this a full product instead of a concise side-thing. Not going near it.

Alex
22-02-2016, 10:14 PM
One of my fears is that it sounds exactly like something that would have been a fun bit of DLC to tack onto the previous instalment, but maybe not sustainable as a full-length game. They've churned it out a bit quickly too.

Shindig
22-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Yup. Almost like they needed a Far Cry out this year to cover off Assassins Creed's absence.

CJay
22-02-2016, 10:25 PM
3 was much better than 4, in my opinion. I was originally quite interested in this, but having seen some Youtube footage of the early parts it doesn't really appeal to me anymore. I'll maybe get it when it goes down to half price.

Disco
22-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I wasn't that keen on the bow or melee combat in 3 or 4 so I can't really see this being for me, certainly not as a stand alone game.

Raoul Duke
22-02-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm not convinced. The previous two have been ok, but nothing ground-breaking. I just can't bring myself to another Ubisoft-icon-collection-fest right now. Fallout 4 is my current squeeze and I think the DLC for that will keep me occupied for a long while.

Far Cry's alright, but the story is bobbins and without guns and explosions I'm just not that fussed about this one.

Yevrah
22-02-2016, 11:39 PM
It peaked with two and we've had formulaic mince since.

I shan't be touching this. At least not at full RRP.

Ian
23-02-2016, 07:44 AM
I'll definitely play it. Loved the bow combat in the previous two, like first person melee when done right and always like games that give me minions to order about.

It'll just be a case of seeing it at a price that prompts me to buy.

Shindig
23-02-2016, 07:57 AM
It peaked with two and we've had formulaic mince since.

Yep. The latter games might've been mechanically better but Far Cry 2 wasn't bloated.

Alex
23-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Far Cry 2 had some of the weirdest voice acting I've ever heard in a game. Everyone sounded like they were speaking double time, it was really strange. Great game though.

Anyway, Primal came today. I've just popped it in. The XB1 needs an update first though, plus the no doubt obligatory day one patch that must things require these days. I'll report back when I've actually played it for a bit.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-02-2016, 09:42 PM
I'll miss not being able to fire a grenade launcher aimlessly into the air (and actually hitting a group of civilians one time), crashing vehicles and just generally being more of a hindrance than a help to the cause.

Having said that I will be buying this soon when the price is lowered, I can't wait to piss about on a sabre toothed tiger.

Alex
29-02-2016, 10:19 PM
So, this is actually pretty fun. I'm not bored with it yet anyway. The animal mechanic sort of makes up for the lack of weaponry a bit. Me and the Saber-Toothed tiger are a force to be reckoned with at the minute. :cool:

I always get really into the hunting and gathering aspect of Far Cry too, and it just feels a lot more authentic on this, what with you being an actual caveman and all.

The story is a bit shit though. It's missing the charismatic villain you've come to expect. But it's sort of hard to have one when everyone is subtitled and talking a made up caveman language. There's been a few instances of the obligatory Far Cry "mystical, drug induced vision quest" nonsense that tends to annoy me as well. But the world is enough fun that I'm willing to look past that, at least for the time being.

Raoul Duke
29-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Do your animals die? Or is it that once they're unlocked you have them forever?

Alex
29-02-2016, 11:45 PM
They do die, but you can revive them. If they die in combat you get a limited amount of time to get them back on their feet (I think you give them a hunk of meat or something), but if you don't get to them they sort of bleed out. Then you have to revive them from the animal screen, which I think involves having some sort of plant leaf which bring them back. I've never had a problem reviving them though, so once you've tamed one you've basically got it forever.

Ian
01-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Only thing that worried me from the RPS review is how much seems to be progression-locked, even compared to recent entries in the series. Still be happy enough to spend up to £15-20 on it at some point.

Disco
03-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Eh, it looks ok but I reckon I could get 80% of the experience by playing FC4 without using guns.

Ian
03-03-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm a sucker for having minions attack things. If they made announced a kickstarter sequel to Nox based entirely around the conjurer class I'd be all over it like a randy octopus.

Disco
03-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I spent ages trying to play Skyrim using summons only, that was great fun if horribly ineffective.

My other problem with this is that it seems to emphasise the elements I liked the least/used in normal Far Cry (bow, melee, close quarters stealth).

CJay
20-03-2016, 04:54 PM
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/far-cry-primal-special-edition-pc-20-89-cdkeys-2415573

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/far-cry-primal-special-edition-pc-cd-key-uplay?mw_aref=74dth566

Anyone on PC who's interested. £20 or so.