PDA

View Full Version : The Uni Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

simon
20-09-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm doing a degree now (it's a foundation degree but it counts!) and I'm very happy about it. We also don't have a uni thread as far as I can see, so here we are.

GS
20-09-2015, 08:57 PM
I doubt there's enough of you to sustain an entire thread.

Pepe
20-09-2015, 08:57 PM
This will be Spoonsky's diary in a year or so.

simon
20-09-2015, 08:59 PM
We have a fucking DIY thread, so we're having this. Spoonsky and I will have all the bants in here.

Pepe
20-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Currently writing a yearly report for the NSF. Making so much shit up 'cause truth is, I've achieved fuck all this year. :cool:

mo
20-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Going to have to start writing UCAS references soon. Weird to be on this side of it.

Spoonsky
20-09-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm in the midst of applications at the moment. I'm probably going to apply early to Columbia, but today my dad did one of those financial aid calculators and it said that we'd still have to pay $30,000 a year. Fuuuuck. For the first time in my life I have no idea where I'll be in a year from now, which is a strange feeling.

Pepe
20-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Not worth it.

Danny
20-09-2015, 10:41 PM
We have a fucking DIY thread, so we're having this. Spoonsky and I will have all the bants in here.

Get off my thread you tax dodger

:wink:

Spammer
21-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm at uni for 2 years doing a counselling course, albeit only 1 day per week.

five time
21-09-2015, 09:53 AM
What course are you doing/where are you studying Simon? And is the plan to do a full degree afterwards?

Starting a maths masters this year and I have to hand in a ten page plan on the dissertation topic I've chosen next week after having never even met the tutor yet. :moop:

Mazuuurk
21-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I doubt there's enough of you to sustain an entire thread.

I was thinking about this. It gives me a little age anxiety that this used to be the most vibrant thread for a while, when like half of us were studying and getting up to a load of shit.

mugbull
21-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Not worth it.

Please don't listen to him Spoon. Maybe it is worth it, maybe not, but for Columbia it almost certainly is. Just make sure you study something useful and not like history or something (unless you want to go law school, but that's even more money you'd be spending)

Pen
21-09-2015, 05:53 PM
I've been meaning to finish my dissertation for about 18 months now, but work keeps getting in the way all the time. Really need to get it done by the end of the year or I might have to take some units again due to possible (likely) changes in the course.

Lee
21-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm in a similar boat. I just need to get it done as having the MSc opens doors but I find the subject matter so fucking boring.

Lewis
22-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Leave it for a week and go back to it (unless it has to be in tomorrow).

Spoonsky
23-09-2015, 02:06 AM
Please don't listen to him Spoon. Maybe it is worth it, maybe not, but for Columbia it almost certainly is. Just make sure you study something useful and not like history or something (unless you want to go law school, but that's even more money you'd be spending)

But that's the thing, I don't really want to study something 'useful' so blowing 30k a year on it might not be a good idea. How much are you paying to go to Stanford?

Pepe
23-09-2015, 02:23 AM
I know you're really dying to go hipster it up in NYC, but you will have plenty of time to do that in your life, plus you will enjoy it way more once you turn 21 anyway. Paying 30k a year for it is not worth it, especially since I am sure you will have cheaper alternatives in other cool cities at a fraction of the price.

EDIT: Would you be taking loans, or would your parents pay? If they're paying then might as well go for it.

Spoonsky
23-09-2015, 04:30 AM
I know you're really dying to go hipster it up in NYC, but you will have plenty of time to do that in your life, plus you will enjoy it way more once you turn 21 anyway. Paying 30k a year for it is not worth it, especially since I am sure you will have cheaper alternatives in other cool cities at a fraction of the price.

EDIT: Would you be taking loans, or would your parents pay? If they're paying then might as well go for it.

Re: the first point, idk actually, NYC is expensive as fuck. Maybe in Queens or something (which would still be cool, don't get me wrong).

I really, really don't want to take on any loans, and certainly not any substantial ones. 30K is probably pushing the far borderline of what my parents could pay. If it was 20K, plus scholarships and whatever my grandparents kick in, then we might be able to fenagle it.

Vim
23-09-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the bad English of some of my teachers. It just makes it impossible to concentrate.

Spammer
23-09-2015, 11:53 AM
So I've started thinking that this counselling course is a bit much to be taking on alongside a full-time job. It's only the second week so there's still time to adapt, mind you. I'm gonna be having to do a placement on my day off though and also get counselling myself as part of the training, so it could get a bit full on.

AE
23-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm in the midst of applications at the moment. I'm probably going to apply early to Columbia, but today my dad did one of those financial aid calculators and it said that we'd still have to pay $30,000 a year. Fuuuuck. For the first time in my life I have no idea where I'll be in a year from now, which is a strange feeling.

Wait till you've got a semester left of uni. You'll feel even more useless.

Pepe
23-09-2015, 02:05 PM
That's true. At least now you know you will be in college, even if you don't know exactly where it will be located.

Spoonsky
24-09-2015, 01:03 AM
My plan after college is to go crazy for a little while and move to a Craigslist apartment in somewhere like Istanbul. Or get a job on a cruise ship, that's a big goal of mine.

Sir Andy Mahowry
24-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Monday: 10-12 English Grammar Workshop
Tuesday: 10-11 Writing the Past Lecture, 18-19 Writing the Past Seminar.

Busy year...

Although I do have to do 3 pieces of coursework from last year, I don't know when those need to be handed in, if they will make me do some extra classes on those etc etc.

Luca
24-09-2015, 02:06 AM
Leo just wants to get laid. Bless.

Spoonsky
24-09-2015, 03:06 AM
$1 beers, mate. And you can save virtually all your income that you don't waste on alcohol. (If the cruise ships is what you're referring to).

Luca
24-09-2015, 03:08 AM
And all the staff are sleeping with one another.

Spoonsky
24-09-2015, 03:20 AM
That's because you get fired if you sleep with a passenger. There's a trade-off.

Do you know someone who works on one?

Foe
24-09-2015, 05:52 AM
That sounds miserable spoons. Get better ambitions. You don't need to leave land to do something like that.

Spoonsky
24-09-2015, 06:02 AM
It's not exactly a career ambition, it would be a way to save a lot of money (relatively, Mr. Big Oil Man) without needing a lot of qualifications, and while still hopefully having a good time. If it was indeed miserable then I'd obviously quit, but I think it sounds sort of fun.

Raoul Duke
24-09-2015, 07:38 AM
That's because you get fired if you sleep with a passenger. There's a trade-off.

Do you know someone who works on one?

I had a mate who worked on one for a while and he smashed many, many passengers. It's the ideal combo of confinement and holiday fruitiness.

Toby
24-09-2015, 08:10 AM
My friend's brother works as a photographer on a cruise ship and seems to be making mega-bucks. It doesn't sound like he was particularly experienced or even talented before he started, so you should look for an in there.

lol at Foe

Lewis
29-10-2015, 05:05 PM
I have to submit an author biography of 'no more than 50 words' to go in my book. I said I would rather not, because 1) privacy; 2) self-indulgence in books annoys me; 3) unemployment, but they told me earlier that it is MANDATORY. In that case I'll probably just list where I have studied, but I am open to lol suggestions.

Boydy
29-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Mention this place, we might get a few newbies out of it.

Lewis
29-10-2015, 05:15 PM
With Lofty as Slim Pickens riding the bomb as the cover image.

Boydy
29-10-2015, 05:15 PM
:D

Yes!

Lewis
29-10-2015, 05:36 PM
They sent me a load of stock images to choose from for the cover, but they're all shit, and this (http://punch.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=0&_bqH=eJxtj81OwzAQhJ.muSGlhEgkkg.u10RLGxv8E8mnVWmrl lBVQDjA22NHFUSUPay_mfXY2t3t59tr34Tupdjm5qqim2JZbao jPg71vKivy7ye57FqJLCCDevT9mvIkCxwJ2flom1nJbCJAZAMg IkVYiUzndGWf6PyMir_jwp0YfzMxXECob1yJhBanaQ2KFWcoVZ JoiUjV5JbCWf5MNVWG8cMV8tsXI64AvYR2VtpCIH5tHh_3z.X5 ul0xH0cdWic5yvijVQipEsZiQVhfDhGz.h_0Nz9YpuQC8eG3fp 9c8i6Md2MXaT.De9ecT8-&GI_ID=) would cost me five-hundred quid to licence (lol), so bollocks.

Boydy
29-10-2015, 05:39 PM
You actually get to choose the cover?

Lewis
29-10-2015, 05:52 PM
They will pay for a stock photo, or you can use whatever you pay for yourself, and then you give them loose instructions of how you would like to see everything designed around it. If I can't charity case an old photograph out of the archive I'll just ask for white letters on a black background, otherwise they will come up with some right GCSE textbook-looking shit.

Boydy
29-10-2015, 07:27 PM
I meant that I was surprised you got to choose the cover rather than the other academic that you're publishing it with.

Lewis
29-10-2015, 07:31 PM
This is for the one I'm doing myself. I'll just go along with whatever for the other one.

Pepe
29-10-2015, 07:46 PM
I have to submit an author biography of 'no more than 50 words' to go in my book. I said I would rather not, because 1) privacy; 2) self-indulgence in books annoys me; 3) unemployment, but they told me earlier that it is MANDATORY. In that case I'll probably just list where I have studied, but I am open to lol suggestions.

Just mention your time spent in the International Society of Internet Scholars or some other shit.

Spoonsky
29-10-2015, 10:44 PM
"Apart from his academic work, Betts writes a blog at thethirdhalf.co.uk." Academia loves blogs these days. Or make a Hillsborough joke.

I've always wondered why academic books have such shitty cover designs and images. Is it just because they're too broke to get a proper image? You've got to be able to find something.

Raoul Duke
29-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Use the Spoonsky picture of him an Amigo or the Lofty rollercoaster.

Also - where is the big man?

Spoonsky
29-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Go on.

http://i.imgur.com/IHKn6Sq.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/de43c.jpg

phonics
29-10-2015, 11:03 PM
What's the subject Lewis? Is there any better item for a TTH Competition?

mugbull
29-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Has anyone ever mentioned that Taz looks like Rowan Atkinson in Mr Bean form?

Lewis
29-10-2015, 11:28 PM
The title is Duncan Sandys and British Nuclear Policy-Making, and it's about Duncan Sandys and British nuclear policy-making. I wanted to call it The Impossibility of Defence: Duncan Sandys and British Nuclear Policy-Making, but I'm not big enough to go around adding cold opens to otherwise tedious academic texts.

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 12:07 AM
The title is Duncan Sandys and British Nuclear Policy-Making, and it's about Duncan Sandys and British nuclear policy-making. I wanted to call it The Impossibility of Defence: Duncan Sandys and British Nuclear Policy-Making, but I'm not big enough to go around adding cold opens to otherwise tedious academic texts.

It really irks me when people do the "Trite wordplay": "Actual title" format. It's never alright, no matter how big you are.

Boydy
30-10-2015, 12:10 AM
I love it.

Best journal article title I've ever seen was 'The Unbearable Whiteness of Skiing' which was a sociological study on race amongst ski resort staff, I think. I didn't actually read it, just saw it on jstor once.

Spoonsky
30-10-2015, 12:11 AM
What's wrong with that formula? It would sure make Lewis' title a lot more intriguing, for one. Otherwise nobody who doesn't already know who Duncan Sandys is will probably look twice at it (which is perhaps what he wants).

Boydy
30-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Something that is awful though is when writers (it probably happens more with journalistic stuff and pop history books but academics still sometimes do it) use stupid obscure chapter titles that give no indication what each chapter is about.

Spoonsky
30-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Agree with that.

On the topic of covers, Lewis, I think you could do a lot worse than just an old black and white photo of Sandys.

Lewis
30-10-2015, 12:24 AM
The only things that really annoy me are epigraphs. If it's that revealing use it in the text, and if it's irrelevant poetry or a Bible quote just fuck off.

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 12:25 AM
The only things that really annoy me are epigraphs. If it's that revealing use it in the text, and if it's irrelevant poetry or a Bible quote just fuck off.

Yep.

I'm currently grading a fourth-year thesis that is dedicated to Bulbasaur, with no added explanation. I'm kind of alright with that. :D

Spoonsky
30-10-2015, 12:35 AM
Epigraphs make sense in fiction or poetry, because you're not always going to be able to squeeze a certain quote into the text. I agree with you more in academic contexts.

Lewis
30-10-2015, 12:36 AM
That's a point. I forgot the acknowledgements/dedications. I covered mine in twenty-six words, and I've seen proper people doing it in half a page. Yet some incontinent sorts feel the need to tell you how the last three years of their life have unfolded and fill it with crappy asides ('and for putting up with my eczema!'). Get lost, love.

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Fourth-year students tend to be the most gratuitously overwrought, because it's the biggest thing they've written, by some margin, up to this point.

We get it. You want to thank everyone. It's a fourth-year thesis, not the cure for cancer.

Spoonsky
30-10-2015, 02:33 AM
That's a point. I forgot the acknowledgements/dedications. I covered mine in twenty-six words, and I've seen proper people doing it in half a page. Yet some incontinent sorts feel the need to tell you how the last three years of their life have unfolded and fill it with crappy asides ('and for putting up with my eczema!'). Get lost, love.

"A Note on the Typeface." Mate.

Luca
30-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Considering an MBA at my undergrad school; talk me out of it.

Pros: It would be easy to get in, still is quite well-respected (Top 3 in Canada), allows me to enter recruitment next year as a "new grad" after my startup venture (which, apparently, is a big concern - some places only hire people with a degree that has a certain year on it for entry-level positions)

Cons: I know I could crack an Ivy League MBA school, but that requires work experience (which is proving quite difficult currently, given my "not a new grad" status)

Oh, EDIT: Obviously I'd be concentrating in Finance, which is where I'd ultimately like to end up.

Luca
30-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Also, Lewis, you're never going to get worse than this (http://puu.sh/l2RaB/53707fcd2f.png), so don't sweat it. This (http://puu.sh/l2Rvc/d799c60097.png) is still the best textbook cover ever.

Lewis
30-10-2015, 12:20 PM
You finding something 'quite difficult' must throw you into existential crisis.

randomlegend
30-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Sneaking in a reference to here would be so good, even if it was one only we'd notice.

And yes, to your PM.

EDIT: That's a point actually, presumably I'm getting a mention for robbing all these books for you.

Benny
30-10-2015, 12:51 PM
If you do choose to use your own image, can you let me hide a Lofty in there?

Lewis
30-10-2015, 12:54 PM
I hoped you would have seen the Lofty suggestion on the last page.

Luca
30-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Lewis:

If Random is getting a mention for that, I've earned one as well, MATE.

Not really; hiring for this sort of thing is largely standardized, so I see where they're coming from given my lol experiences fucking around with startups.

Pepe
30-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Just start your own company mate. And then hire me.

Luca
30-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Just start your own company mate. And then hire me.

We could put together a pretty good startup team based on the makeup of this board.

Lewis
30-10-2015, 01:10 PM
I'll just include 'Hi TTH' somewhere and cover everyone.

Pepe
30-10-2015, 01:14 PM
We could put together a pretty good startup team based on the makeup of this board.

How about selling toothbrushes?

mugbull
30-10-2015, 06:12 PM
I found the sickest bathroom on campus!! If any of you guys ever come through i'd be more than happy to take you to this spot, its really nice

simon
30-10-2015, 07:14 PM
I found the sickest bathroom on campus!! If any of you guys ever come through i'd be more than happy to take you to this spot, its really nice

So you can show us where you wank? No thanks.

mugbull
30-10-2015, 09:22 PM
I actually haven't yet, but thanks for the idea.

Spoonsky
31-10-2015, 02:31 AM
Hey Mok, let me know if you meet someone named Daela at Stanford.

mugbull
01-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Fb says i have a few mutual friends with her. is she cute? i cant tell because her eyes are obscured in literally every pic. never a good sign

Spoonsky
01-11-2015, 11:35 PM
She is cute but also Polynesian so I guess it depends how racist you are.

Spoonsky
01-11-2015, 11:36 PM
In other news, I've applied to Columbia University. Hold me lads.

Pepe
02-11-2015, 08:41 PM
I don't think I have ever done as poorly in a test as I just did on my Optics one. I really can't be arsed with this shit anymore. Two more courses to go still...

Vim
02-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Just passed the deadline for applying to a semester abroad (fees paid by the Danish government), my first priority is University of Virginia. Only had four U.S. unis available for my study, applied to three of them. Here's hoping I get in, though I highly doubt it.

Pepe
02-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Which ones did you apply to?

Spoonsky
02-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Why UVA?

Vim
02-11-2015, 08:49 PM
The options I had were: UVA, San Francisco State, North Florida and Wisconsin. I researched a bit on the internet and it seemed that the best option academically was UVA, also San Francisco might be too expensive to live in even for a semester.

If I don't get in for America I'm probably going to apply for Erasmus in the UK.

Pepe
02-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't you get housing? Every exchange student I have ever met does. UVA and Wisconsin are good schools.

Spoonsky
02-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Depends how much of a priority the academics are. I can tell you that spending a semester in San Francisco, if affordable, would be brilliant and would blow all the other places out of the water. It's the best city in the world.

Vim
02-11-2015, 08:54 PM
From the presentation that I was given here at uni, tuition fees are covered, not housing but the Danish government has some extra grants we can apply for if we get accepted.

Vim
02-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Depends how much of a priority the academics are. I can tell you that spending a semester in San Francisco, if affordable, would be brilliant and would blow all the other places out of the water. It's the best city in the world.

Like in terms of social life? I guess there's lots going on all the time?

Spoonsky
02-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I didn't mean in terms of social life, no, because I've only ever been there by myself or with my family. The social life within the university would probably be pretty standard, I'd say, except with many more things to do with whoever you make friends with. San Francisco is, block-for-block, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and it's filled with lovely, at times random-seeming places to explore or just hang out in. Even if you never met anyone you could still have a brilliant time just walking around or taking the bus to different places, if you're independent you'll never run out of things to see or do. I could write an essay about it.

mikem
02-11-2015, 10:15 PM
UVA and Wisconsin are both good schools and would give the classic American college experience. Madison is a great college town. The schools are huge though; intro classes could have two hundred people in them.

San Francisco State is good too, but the Bay Area is prohibitively expensive. It may also be more of a commuter school with the majority of students working full time.

Spoonsky
02-11-2015, 10:24 PM
I have actually heard very good things about Wisconsin and Madison in particular. I'd choose that over UVA if you don't mind the cold.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Please read the attached chapter from Robert Perks and Alistair Thomson The Oral History Reader

and come prepared either to

(a) talk about why the personal history of a particular family member or friend should be recorded (i.e. in an interview)

or

(b) talk about an eye-witness interview that would enhance (or would have enhanced) a written assignment

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Luca
04-11-2015, 12:20 AM
(b) sounds like a rephrasing of "provide evidence that primary evidence is better/more meaningful/etc. than secondary evidence"

Lewis
04-11-2015, 12:32 AM
They want you to talk about how personal histories are worthwhile sources because over time they become 'distorted', which allows you to churn out even more histories of x by accounting for the personal and social forces that have led to that distortion. For example the eye-witness interview would be subject to all sorts of pressures over time, so it would enhance a written assignment because you could discuss how their version of events has come to differ from other versions, why it differs, what effect those differences have had on the person, how the event is remembered, and so on and so on.

Luca
09-11-2015, 04:54 PM
I've just applied to an MSc in International Business + a CEMS Master in International Management. Exciting times; it means I may be at the LSE for a semester, or perhaps with Bernanke in Sweden.

Bernanke
09-11-2015, 05:08 PM
:cool:

Welcome to our expensive alcohol and beautiful women.

Luca
09-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I trust you'll be on your best behaviour when we're out with the AIK lads at Berns.

Spoonsky
09-11-2015, 11:24 PM
I've got an interview with Columbia tomorrow. Did you do one with Stanford, Mok?

Pepe
09-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Is that for early choice or whatever they call it, or the regular application process?

Spoonsky
10-11-2015, 03:48 AM
Early decision, yup. If they accept me* I'm going.

*and pay me enough

mugbull
10-11-2015, 04:20 AM
I've got an interview with Columbia tomorrow. Did you do one with Stanford, Mok?

Nah Stanford didn't do interviews. Interviews with schools are pretty pointless tbh so don't stress about them / don't be proud of them. They're pretty much just to make sure you're not a blatantly offensive person. Why's Columbia your top choice?

Luca
10-11-2015, 04:24 AM
I apparently have two sets of interviews for the MSc program, but then business schools operate differently.

Bernanke
11-11-2015, 05:18 AM
Quick help from you forriners here. I'm doing a marketing research project where I need to gauge interest for a foreign brand entering the Swedish market, so I need tips. Give me a few "well-profiled" brands. My fallback is KFC or Domino's, but "restaurants" are a bit boring.

ItalAussie
11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Uber seems like a really good idea. It'd be a really interesting shout, because they have a quite non-traditional model and they're moving into a very traditional sector.

Bernanke
11-11-2015, 09:02 AM
We have Uber. :( It's amazing.

Jimmy Floyd
11-11-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm trained in this shit and the ones they love are things like hair shampoos, toothpaste etc - products everyone uses, but where their consuming habits are quite hard to break and there's already a clearly defined range of such products in the local market. The brand is therefore everything because let's face it, all toothpaste is pretty much the same. With Uber the attraction is less the brand than the actual product diferentiation.

Spammer
11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Got my ass a counselling placement :cool:

I'm also getting my own counselling, which is fun. Genuinely it is. It's fucking fascinating working stuff out. Counsellor has a pretty easy job too as it's mostly just for my own personal growth rather than anything being a huge issue for me. We have to see a counsellor for at least 20 hours to become one ourselves, just to make sure that there's no ongoing issues which might trigger us if someone talks about it in a session.

SvN
11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Uber was a total godsend when we were in the US this summer. Cost around $4 to get to restaurants within a couple of miles and meant we could drink without worrying about how to get back to the hotel. We really missed it in the states that didn't have it. A 5 minute taxi to the airport in Vegas cost $40, whereas in LA we paid $12 for a 15 minute Uber to LAX.

I use it whenever I visit friends in London too - there's just no contest between it and regular taxis. It's quicker, cheaper, more convinient and the drivers aren't arseholes (usually). Taxi companies are on borrowed time.

Luca
11-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Quick help from you forriners here. I'm doing a marketing research project where I need to gauge interest for a foreign brand entering the Swedish market, so I need tips. Give me a few "well-profiled" brands. My fallback is KFC or Domino's, but "restaurants" are a bit boring.

I assume it has to be a brick-and-mortar place or some sort of consumable, because any consumer durable will end up there one way or another.

How about Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/) - there's a strong outdoorsy side to Swedish culture, nej?

Bernanke
11-11-2015, 11:16 AM
I assume it has to be a brick-and-mortar place or some sort of consumable, because any consumer durable will end up there one way or another.

How about Bass Pro Shops (http://www.basspro.com/) - there's a strong outdoorsy side to Swedish culture, nej?

I'm not totally clear on the exact rules, because we were considering Uniqlo even though they've started shipping here about 6 months back.

Fishing could work. Such an American looking website. :D

Luca
11-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Expedited through to the final round of my MSc application, and have a final round interview for my MBA on Friday.

Fuck yes, gentlemen. Fuck. Yes.

Luca
11-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Also, Bernanke: they do a lot more than just fishing gear. It encompasses all sorts of outdoors-y stuff (including selling guns in 'murrica). The stores are an attraction in themselves.

Luca
26-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Got both the MSc and MBA offers with scholarships. I really appreciate those of you who took the time to help out with my application essays.

ItalAussie
26-11-2015, 11:34 PM
That's outstanding news. Which one are you going to take?

Luca
27-11-2015, 12:39 AM
I've already accepted the MSc offer - given my (lack of corporate/real) work experience, and the work terms built into the MSc, it makes the most sense from a future employability standpoint. It's also a really, really cool program blending international work experience, case-based learning, and (probably) the best Career Management team in the country.

Magic
27-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Over 350 likes on Facebook as well. Disgusting.

Pepe
02-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Article due tomorrow. Gave it to my advisor on Friday and so far he has managed to review two paragraphs, which need 'significant rewrite,' his only comment say.

Lewis
02-12-2015, 10:13 PM
How/why does an article have a due date? Is it part of your assessment?

Spoonsky
03-12-2015, 12:27 AM
I applied to Stanford last night. Watch out Mok, here I come.

Lewis
03-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Don't you have to be Asian (or pass as Asian like Mokkers) to get into the big Western ones?

Spoonsky
03-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Not really. Berkeley is quite Asian (I applied there too last night) but Stanford seems pretty diverse.

MokBull, did you have to write all those absurd supplemental essays for Stanford? What is the most significant challenge that society faces today? (50 word limit)

Luca
03-12-2015, 05:57 AM
They want you to tweet it, Spoon (ugh).

Lewis
03-12-2015, 11:16 AM
'Muslims. Muslims. Muslims. Muslims. Muslims...'

Pepe
03-12-2015, 04:18 PM
How/why does an article have a due date? Is it part of your assessment?

It is for a Symposium. Biggest deal in the Combustion community, so my advisor wants all of us to submit something to increase his street cred.

Word limit is 5800 words. I gave him a 6000 word document and he gave me back a 6400 one. :moop:

Spoonsky
09-12-2015, 10:37 PM
I think I'm going to apply here (https://www.minerva.kgi.edu/). It looks crazy but I think it would be pretty cool. I did a Skype interview with them last night (at their request - I haven't even finished the application either) and it went well, though I couldn't sort out the cameras and she had to talk to my feet for 45 minutes.

That all might be irrelevant, though, because I hear from Columbia tomorrow. There's no way I got in. There's no way...

Pepe
09-12-2015, 10:42 PM
I think I'm going to apply here (https://www.minerva.kgi.edu/). It looks crazy but I think it would be pretty cool. I did a Skype interview with them last night (at their request - I haven't even finished the application either) and it went well, though I couldn't sort out the cameras and she had to talk to my feet for 45 minutes.

That all might be irrelevant, though, because I hear from Columbia tomorrow. There's no way I got in. There's no way...

Remember reading about that one. Looks interesting although I'm not sold on the computer based shit they seem to be all about. If you want to go 'crazy' go for something like New College of Florida or St. John's College.

Columbia was the early admissions thing right? I take it that's your favorite of the lot?

Spoonsky
09-12-2015, 10:44 PM
I wasn't much convinced on the computer stuff either but talking to this girl about it convinced me somewhat.

Yeah. Most of my friends, if they applied early, are finding out on the 15th, I think I'm the first one out of all of us.

Pepe
09-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Where your SATs etc. in the ballpark? I would assume someone with two Professors as parents is a shoe-in.

Do they still require you to know how to swim?

Spoonsky
09-12-2015, 10:48 PM
My SATs were probably slightly on the low end but definitely in the range. I also know how to swim, though I don't think they require it.

Pepe
09-12-2015, 10:51 PM
https://www.college.columbia.edu/blog/james-j-valentini/2013apr19

mugbull
10-12-2015, 03:30 AM
The supplemental essays were pretty fire. Make them unique without being the kid that overdoes it

"In the beginning i was a fetus. But now, through sheer determination and hard work, i am LEO"

Good luck man. Is that Minerva thing an online school? Why would you ever do that?

Spoonsky
10-12-2015, 04:27 AM
It's not an online school, the classes are just on computers using this interface they've developed (she called it "Skype on steroids"). No campus but they do all live together in dorms, and use each city as their campus more or less.

mugbull
10-12-2015, 04:31 AM
You'd lose a lot of networking potential through that, and also lose a decent amount of the college atmosphere. I'm not a huge fan of 'experimental' universities at all, its good until youre in high school but past that point you really need to be on a campus.

Spoonsky
10-12-2015, 05:12 AM
The word "networking" makes me uncomfortable but yeah, part of me definitely agrees with you. Another part sees the list of cities and knows that it's what I've always been dreaming of, and the education sounds pretty interesting. I don't think I'd choose it over somewhere like Pomona though.

Pepe
10-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Networking is BS and you definitely don't need to be on a fucking campus. Students in every other country in the world manage just fine without one.

mugbull
10-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Networking is BS? What planet do you live on?

Pepe
10-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Same as you mate, same as you. It's not like Spoonsky will be aiming to get a job in a bank or any other field that works that way.

Pepe
10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
With my advisor gone for the month and me leaving for vacation next Wednesday, I really don't feel like doing anything.

Lewis
10-12-2015, 04:27 PM
There is probably something to be said for sucking up to academics (especially if he has post-graduate study in mind), but yeah, he doesn't need to be going full-Luca.

Luca
10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
On that note, I've just been assigned an exchange term at USydney. I say assigned, but I mean that my top choices (LSE and NUS) weren't available, so USydney is my top choice. NHH is also on my list because of how economics/finance heavy it is, but I'd rather not go back to Europe.

mugbull
10-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Being able to maintain a network of professional connections is important no matter what job sector you're going for

Boydy
10-12-2015, 09:36 PM
As much as I want to call you a wanker for that, Mokbull, you're probably right. Look at those of us railing against the idea - Lewis, Pepe, me - all feckless wasters.

mugbull
10-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Also, how'd the Columbia decision go?

mugbull
10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
As much as I want to call you a wanker for that, Mokbull, you're probably right. Look at those of us railing against the idea - Lewis, Pepe, me - all feckless wasters.

I mean, i'm shit at "networking". I'd rather just get by on skill, but then i see a lot of my friends who aren't as skilled as me get better internships/jobs than me, and it's because of connections they have. It's a skill you gotta develop

Lewis
10-12-2015, 09:52 PM
You go to just about the best/richest university in the world. That means 1) many people will have pre-existing 'professional connections'; 2) there are people around worth 'networking' with. It's hardly typical.

Raoul Duke
10-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Actually, I'd say it is pretty typical. Getting hired/interviews because you know someone who can put a word in is pretty common.

Lewis
10-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Obviously people get interviewed/hired because they know people. But 'networking' (which is not the same as simply meeting people) is simply not going to be that productive for the vast majority of students.

Jimmy Floyd
10-12-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm happy to live in abject poverty, or something close to it, if it means no fucker can ever accuse me of having 'networked' for a single second in my life.

Spoonsky
10-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Deferred. Fuck me, not even the closure of a rejection. :cab:

Spoonsky
11-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Finish all my sodding applications by January, then wait till April for decision-making time. It's not a bad result as it opens up a lot of options for me and might be better money-wise if I do get into Columbia, but I just want to be done with it.

Lewis
11-12-2015, 12:47 AM
What does 'deferred' mean in this context? Can you network around it?

Spoonsky
11-12-2015, 01:07 AM
That I'll be put into the pool of regular candidates and evaluated again, and that I can apply to other schools like normal now. You'd think they could reach a decision one way or the other about me but it seems like the majority of early candidates get deferred. I blame Affirmative Action.

Lewis
11-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Why were you an early candidate? Explain the full process if you can be bothered.

Pepe
11-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Deferred. Fuck me, not even the closure of a rejection. :cab:

Well at least now you get to choose among several options rather than being 'stuck' there by default.

Pepe
11-12-2015, 02:12 AM
Why were you an early candidate? Explain the full process if you can be bothered.

Spoon will have to clarify but I think some unis let you apply early if you are really interested in the place and if they really like you they'll take you before the actual process begins. You are not really an 'early candidate,' anyone can apply early. I am guessing unis do this to lure top students before the other universities convince them to go elsewhere via better offers.

Spoonsky
11-12-2015, 02:56 AM
Yeah, if you've got a clear first choice you can apply "Early Decision" or "Early Action" - Early Decision is more restrictive in that if they accept you you have to withdraw all other applications (provided the financial aid is good enough), whereas with Early Action you can still wait and see if you get in elsewhere. This has the benefit for you of higher acceptance rates (though not extraordinarily so) and finishing the process much earlier if you get in, and it has the benefit for the schools of attracting top students earlier and also making sure that they get some students who really want to go there. The drawbacks for the student are that you can't compare financial aid packages (this is also a benefit for the universities) and that you have to finish your application much earlier. I did Early Decision to Columbia (they don't offer Early Action, schools usually offer one or the other).

What I was really excited about, just as much as going to Columbia, was being finished with the whole bloody process. Now I have to write a bunch more supplemental essays for different schools, and I won't find out until March 31st or so. That is what fucks me off the most, along with the general feeling of anticlimax - I still don't know where I'll be living for the next four years, and I don't even know that it won't be Columbia.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2015, 04:03 PM
'The film that they had chosen had been getting rave reviews'

Fuck that sentence.

It was in an assignment that I had to hand in today on English Grammar. I was meant to say what kind of sentence it is and why.

I have no idea what it is, it can't be a simple sentence as there are two main verbs. It can't be a compound sentence as there is no conjunction and it can't be a complex sentence as the only complimentiser links a clause with no verb phrase (The film) to the rest of the sentence.

Either I've gone wrong somewhere in determining the lexical categories of each word or she's fucked the sentence up.

It's fucking me right up, I put complex but I didn't put a reason.

Anyone know a thing or two about this and would be able to tell me where I've gone wrong? I don't think I can wait 2-3 weeks until she has marked it.

Spammer
22-12-2015, 04:08 PM
I think it's a simple sentence, in a similar way that 'the red cat sat on the mat' is a simple sentence. It's been a few years though and I wasn't the best at that stuff, so I might be wrong.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2015, 04:11 PM
But there are two main verbs :\

Unless I'm being stupid and chosen isn't a verb in there.

mugbull
22-12-2015, 04:11 PM
It's some past tense transitive bullshit, probably.

Yo Spoon, idk if you know this much but EA waitlists generally have a negligible acceptance rate (lower than the RD acceptance rate in any case). A lot of schools basically waitlist everyone they don't accept for early. Not sure if Columbia is one of those schools, but i know Stanford is. What are your other top choices?

Toby
22-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Whatever kind of sentence that is it's horrible. 'The film that they had chosen' could just be 'the film they chose', surely.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Yes but she's a massive bitch who just wants to make things more complicated in order to fuck with our minds.

Edit: She's on annual leave until the 7th of fucking January so I wont get an answer until then :(

Spoonsky
23-12-2015, 03:46 AM
It's some past tense transitive bullshit, probably.

Yo Spoon, idk if you know this much but EA waitlists generally have a negligible acceptance rate (lower than the RD acceptance rate in any case). A lot of schools basically waitlist everyone they don't accept for early. Not sure if Columbia is one of those schools, but i know Stanford is. What are your other top choices?

I don't think that's true at Columbia (another kid at my school got rejected for instance), from what I've ascertained the rates about the same as RD. Other top choices are Pomona, McGill, Brown, and Stanford. Speaking of which, I'm in the Bay Area till Jan 2 if you happen to be on campus for some reason.

Pepe
23-12-2015, 03:58 AM
What happened to Reed? Pomona looks good.

Spoonsky
23-12-2015, 06:00 AM
Reed is definitely a solid possibility still, though places like Pomona have eclipsed it slightly. I have a lot of places that I'd be really happy to attend which I think is a good thing, though it could make the final decision more difficult.

Pepe
23-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Money will probably make most of the decisions for you tbh.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 10:25 PM
I've had wobbles before - especially when I was ill and probably quite depressed if I'm honest - but at the moment I really can't shake the feeling I might want to quit medicine.

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-12-2015, 10:33 PM
What would you consider doing instead? How do you think you will feel in x amount of years if you did jack it all in? Have you spoken to family, friends, lecturers etc etc?

I felt like quitting uni (for the second time) after my Dad died and even though I've got a shit load of work to catch up on which I have no idea how I will do it (and fuck knows about next year with my dissertation), I'm glad I didn't.

Talk to anyone and everyone you can.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Spoken to my girlfriend. She wants me to at least finish the course and then if I really don't want to do it at that point to find something else. That's probably the right thing to do to be honest.

I enjoy learning medicine - in the main - but the idea of actually doctoring just fills me with dread. I of course accept I will be nervous about it, but I should feel excited and be looking forward to it too and I just don't feel that.

I can see myself enjoying it in 10 years time when I'm qualified as a consultant doing something I enjoy, I just don't know if I can get through the journey there.

I think to stick out medicine you've got to love it - it's got to be your 'thing' - and I just don't know if I do.

To be honest I'd love to do something in food but I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it unless I got to a certain level, which might not be realistic.

I just know medicine will take up pretty much my whole life and I don't want to end up miserable.

Lewis
30-12-2015, 11:10 PM
If you jack medicine in for baking I won't rest until I've lolled you off the board.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Fuck off :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Finish studying and apply for bake off.

Done.

Raoul Duke
30-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Become a vet. That way you can still do medicine-y stuff but if it goes wrong and the patient croaks you can use its corpse to whip up a lovely pie :thbup:

GS
30-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Stick the course out. You have invested significant time and resource in it up to this point, so it would be very stupid to chuck it - especially on the incredibly vague, "but surely the grass is greener, mate" grounds you've cited.

Lewis
30-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Well there you have it. How soon can you quit?

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:22 PM
I do intend to stick out the course unless something changes.

I just don't want to do something so all-consuming if I hate it and find it so incredibly stressful, which is how I feel about it at the moment. The thought of starting my first job makes me feel sick.

I hope when I do shadowing in fifth year I start to feel differently but I'm skeptical.

I know there isn't some magical fairy rainbows wonder job which will fall into my lap if I quit.

Lee
30-12-2015, 11:27 PM
I haven't met a first year junior doctor yet who wasn't shitting their pants when they first started. As long as you're not scared of hard work, long hours, people who were always going to die winding up dead and the endless smell of fresh shit on gerontology wards then you'll end up just like they all do; happy with your lot and up your own arse. Stick it out.

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:28 PM
How much have you actually done of the course so far?

Isn't there a point where you can some out with a degree but not go on further to become an actual practising doctor?

Toby
30-12-2015, 11:29 PM
You'd never make it as a chef, RL, you're far too nice and clean cut to form a coke habit.

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:30 PM
And your body is too weak to stand the shifts.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:32 PM
I expected to be shitting it, but I expected to have some positive feelings about it too, and I don't.

I talk to other people on my course and they are nervous but looking forward to it. Regularly hear people say they can't wait for uni to finish and to get started. I'd rather just stay here and avoid it forever.

I think the years out with illness fucked me over quite a bit to be honest, I've really lost a lot of confidence since and it's hard to build back up.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:33 PM
How much have you actually done of the course so far?

Isn't there a point where you can some out with a degree but not go on further to become an actual practising doctor?

Yes, I would get a (I believe proper shit-tier) degree of I left now. From what they've said before the uni would take me on to do a masters though.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:35 PM
And your body is too weak to stand the shifts.

I managed that night shift after a full day on placement (24 hours in the hospital overall) so I reckon I could actually do it now.

Three posts in a row, soz. On my phone and can't be fucked with multi-quotes and shit.

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:35 PM
A masters in what though?

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:36 PM
I managed that night shift after a full day on placement (24 hours in the hospital overall) so I reckon I could actually do it now.

Three posts in a row, soz. On my phone and can't be fucked with multi-quotes and shit.

I was only joking about that part.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:36 PM
A masters in what though?

Something I wouldn't want to do probably :D

phonics
30-12-2015, 11:38 PM
You'd never make it as a chef, RL, you're far too nice and clean cut to form a coke habit.

This is the most realistic post on the board. Has anyone ever met a Chef that is in control of his life as much as his Kitchen?

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:38 PM
I was only joking about that part.

You might have been, but it has been a worry with the migraines whether I'll actually be able to do the job even if I make it through the course.

Which is really fucking shit to be honest. It's horrible feeling like you might be limited like that by something you can't fully control.

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Also, on the point of not wanting medicine to take over your life - cheffing would too. They work horrible hours. Your Mrs is a teacher now, isn't she? You'd never see her.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:41 PM
This is the most realistic post on the board. Has anyone ever met a Chef that is in control of his life as much as his Kitchen?

I have a really obsessive personality, I reckon I'd make a smashing addict.

And if I did go into food I know I probably couldn't do cheffing as my shitty aching head would explode. I reckon I'd love doing patisserie or something though.

Edit: Boydy and that too.

phonics
30-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Bourdain said it was patisserie stuff that drove him head first into the Heroin as it was so stressful.

randomlegend
30-12-2015, 11:46 PM
I had an interview for a summer job at Tim Kinnaird's (sorry) shop and also did that tart course with him. He was fucking loving life. I could see myself doing something like that, I really enjoy it and I feel like it comes quite naturally.

mugbull
30-12-2015, 11:54 PM
You would love a course on tarts given you are one

Boydy
30-12-2015, 11:55 PM

Laughed way more than I should have at that.

Lewis
30-12-2015, 11:58 PM
It sounds like you've already failed at patisserie then if you only had the interview. I'm glad we've cleared this up. Now, about my arse...

Boydy
31-12-2015, 12:07 AM
It's a pilondial cyst.

Spoonsky
31-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Walked around Stanford today, the place is completely shut down and chock full of Asian tourists. Despite that it's very nice and I'd almost certainly go on the minuscule chance I got in.
mokbull

mugbull
31-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Where'd you go? Make circles around the quad like most people do? ANd yeah the asians are there year round

Spoonsky
31-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Yeah we parked next to the Humanities center and walked from there in a loop more or less. Didn't quite get to Mayfield Ave. My parents really had to pee and all of the bathrooms were closed except the one in the Student Union, disaster averted.

How much time do you actually spend at the Quad and thereabouts? It's quite magnificent (as are the hills immediately to the south, look straight outta Tuscany).

mugbull
31-12-2015, 05:16 AM
You never actually hang out in the quad, you just pass it to and from class, which is all around the quad. It's too far away from any of the living quarters to be of any use.

Tresidder, though, thats a spot full of mystique and drama. Legend has it the line for Subway extends infinitely in all directions

Sam
03-01-2016, 11:48 PM
Really can't be arsed with the next 5 months. All too serious, boring and shit.

Just finishing off my second (of two) mock EU exam Qs and it's probably the worst answer I've written since the start of my degree. It's just so insanely boring. You really have to be some twisted fucker to aspire to be a constitutional law academic.

Could be an accountant.

Sam
03-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Ahhh the hope, then he realises that the most he'll be doing for three years will be marking the ins and outs, then getting shit over exams. Or he could genuinely like that, in which case, more power to the man, albeit he's probably as interesting as a wet fart.

Bartholomert
04-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Spoons gimme a college update, how's it looking?

Spoonsky
04-01-2016, 04:29 AM
Got deferred from Columbia. Applied to a bunch more places that you'd probably disapprove of. Have a few more applications then just waiting it out till the spring unfortunately.

Luca
04-01-2016, 07:28 AM
If he's in audit, he'll hate his fucking existence within months.

Sam
04-01-2016, 10:44 AM
If he's in audit, he'll hate his fucking existence within months.

Only job I could think that would be worse, it's the equal to planting your face against concrete.

Bartholomert
04-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Got deferred from Columbia. Applied to a bunch more places that you'd probably disapprove of. Have a few more applications then just waiting it out till the spring unfortunately.

Stats? And the most important question, did you apply to Duke?

It's not my disapproval by the way Spoonsky, it's that of society at large. Do you really want to condemn yourself to a lifetime of being friendzoned and watching your female friends getting banged out by 'assholes'? You only get one last chance to not be a pussy and that's in college, don't fuck it up and resign yourself to an embittered life of an overmedicated over educated middle-class self-hating Bernie Sanders supporter.

Your egalitarian fantasies are just that, fantasies. All those idealistic liberal hell holes you build up in your mind, will organize and segregate themselves along the exact same socioeconomic lines you detest so much. But worse, they will disingenuously claim otherwise. You will be marginalized as a provincial ordinary public school kid from Utah. You didn't go to the right prep schools, your dad doesn't have a wikipedia page, and you're not sick enough to make up for it in other ways.

Listen to me. I know what I am talking about. Look at Mokbull, for all his blustering he is still in a fraternity, a former tennis star (if I'm not mistaken) and I would be surprised if he doesn't do all right for himself. This is how life works. You either buy in or you are left behind.

Lewis
04-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Have a day off, mate.

Bartholomert
04-01-2016, 01:27 PM
...I'm so bored at home, I need to get back to law school and hating my life

Mazuuurk
04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
It's like Merts short absence on here was the deep breath that he took before he opened his mouth to start hurling again.

Pepe
04-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Have to give him credit, he is really committed to that persona of his.

phonics
04-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Have to give him credit, he is really committed to that persona of his.

Apart from when it's pointed out what an obviously wrong cock he is at which point 'Oh it's just lols bro'

Spoonsky
04-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Stats? And the most important question, did you apply to Duke?

It's not my disapproval by the way Spoonsky, it's that of society at large. Do you really want to condemn yourself to a lifetime of being friendzoned and watching your female friends getting banged out by 'assholes'? You only get one last chance to not be a pussy and that's in college, don't fuck it up and resign yourself to an embittered life of an overmedicated over educated middle-class self-hating Bernie Sanders supporter.

Your egalitarian fantasies are just that, fantasies. All those idealistic liberal hell holes you build up in your mind, will organize and segregate themselves along the exact same socioeconomic lines you detest so much. But worse, they will disingenuously claim otherwise. You will be marginalized as a provincial ordinary public school kid from Utah. You didn't go to the right prep schools, your dad doesn't have a wikipedia page, and you're not sick enough to make up for it in other ways.

Listen to me. I know what I am talking about. Look at Mokbull, for all his blustering he is still in a fraternity, a former tennis star (if I'm not mistaken) and I would be surprised if he doesn't do all right for himself. This is how life works. You either buy in or you are left behind.

See, even college choice is basically about having sex in your mind. Also I bet that me and MokBull applied to similar places, and that Stanford would also qualify as a liberal hell hole to you, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Bartholomert
04-01-2016, 03:55 PM
See, even college choice is basically about having sex in your mind. Also I bet that me and MokBull applied to similar places, and that Stanford would also qualify as a liberal hell hole to you, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

It's not about sex, it's about status and respect in society. The female attention is an inevitable byproduct.

Stanford is a 'liberal hell hole' but it still has enclaves of 'patriarchal privilege' which can train you to thrive in the outside world (which Mokbull is shamelessly participating in). And besides, the Stanford degree and the associated network you'll develop in and of itself transforms your life into God mode, the same could not be said of some no name liberal arts school.

Spammer
04-01-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm quite enjoying him.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 05:21 PM
'The film that they had chosen had been getting rave reviews'

Fuck that sentence.

It was in an assignment that I had to hand in today on English Grammar. I was meant to say what kind of sentence it is and why.

I have no idea what it is, it can't be a simple sentence as there are two main verbs. It can't be a compound sentence as there is no conjunction and it can't be a complex sentence as the only complimentiser links a clause with no verb phrase (The film) to the rest of the sentence.

Either I've gone wrong somewhere in determining the lexical categories of each word or she's fucked the sentence up.

It's fucking me right up, I put complex but I didn't put a reason.

Anyone know a thing or two about this and would be able to tell me where I've gone wrong? I don't think I can wait 2-3 weeks until she has marked it.

For anyone interested, this was a complex sentence although I have no idea why as she didn't give me a reason.

Lewis
15-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Unless I've read their style guidelines wrong, I will have to go through my entire manuscript and change 'quotes like this' into "quotes like this" (with similar reversals for quotes within quotes). Why? It looks crap like that, and I will inevitably miss a couple out and ruin the full thing.

Pepe
15-01-2016, 04:47 AM
:harold:

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-01-2016, 07:56 AM
Unless I've read their style guidelines wrong, I will have to go through my entire manuscript and change 'quotes like this' into "quotes like this" (with similar reversals for quotes within quotes). Why? It looks crap like that, and I will inevitably miss a couple out and ruin the full thing.

Ctrl F works in Word.

You could use the replace all option too if you've only used ' in quotes.

niko_cee
15-01-2016, 08:24 AM

It probably isn't possible to write a paragraph (or sentence) without using an apostrophe so you'd have to be some sort of anti-abbreviation deviant to manage it over anything longer.

Toby
15-01-2016, 12:02 PM
Ctrl F works in Word.

You could use the replace all option too if you"ve only used " in quotes.

Good idea.

SvN
15-01-2016, 12:07 PM
I can"t imagine what could possibly go wrong with that approach.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-01-2016, 12:16 PM
I did say only if he used ' in quotes which isn't too far fetched in academic writing.

Also, with ctrl f it would highlight all uses so he could change them manually a lot easier.

So back in your boxes.

Toby
15-01-2016, 12:18 PM
It"s still pretty farfetched.

Nobody is claiming CTRL+F wouldn"t help, but it"s hardly groundbreaking advice.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-01-2016, 12:24 PM
It"s still pretty farfetched.

Nobody is claiming CTRL+F wouldn"t help, but it"s hardly groundbreaking advice.

Not really, in academic writing abbreviations shouldn't really be used.

Boydy
15-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah, there shouldn't really be any contractions in academic writing. But there might be some in quotes and that.

It's a massive pain in the arse anyway and goes against everything I've ever learned for quoting.

Lewis
15-01-2016, 01:10 PM
I have to clear all my own permissions as well. It's a disgrace. I should have just kept it to myself (and Benny hasn't made that Lofty cover for me).

Toby
15-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Not really, in academic writing abbreviations shouldn't really be used.

Sure, but there could be possessive apostrophes and as Boydy"s post mentions, words within quotes.

Jimmy Floyd
15-01-2016, 01:26 PM
Find and replace all of them to start with, and then find all the instances of "t, "s and replace them back. Five minute job.

Toby
15-01-2016, 01:28 PM
There we are, that works.

As long as you include the space to remove any midsentence quotes starting T or S.

Pepe
15-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Or just chuck the whole thing, what is the point anyway.

Pepe
15-01-2016, 01:38 PM
BTW we got a high speed camera for the lab this week. Expect slow motion videos of me posting during work hours soon.

Lewis
15-01-2016, 01:39 PM
You might be able to get an article out of the visible stink lines.

Davgooner
15-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Toby, well played.

Pepe
15-01-2016, 01:49 PM
You might be able to get an article out of the visible stink lines.

An article? Five at least.

Lewis
15-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Conference paper, article, book chapter, follow-up 'Some thoughts on...' article and conference paper, and then a load of spin-offs about the methodology.

None of which will ever be read or cited in subsequent research.

Pepe
15-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Oh it will be cited (by myself.)

Pepe
15-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Also my advisor asked us to heckle an environmentalist that will be presenting at a nearby university in April.

Pepe
19-01-2016, 01:55 PM
The grant money is finally in so I will be working for the Israeli Department of Defense for the next two years.

Spammer
19-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Got my ass a counselling placement sorted, starting in the next couple of weeks. Not sure if I've mentioned it on here, but I can't wait.

Lewis
19-01-2016, 04:29 PM
The grant money is finally in so I will be working for the Israeli Department of Defense for the next two years.

Obviously money talks louder than THE SCREAMS OF PALESTINIAN CHILDREN.

Doing what? Do you have to live there?

Pepe
19-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Obviously money talks louder than THE SCREAMS OF PALESTINIAN CHILDREN.

Doing what? Do you have to live there?

No, I get to stay here fortunately.

Just some studies on alternative fuels for their MURDEROUS BOMB-DROPPING JETS.

Lewis
19-01-2016, 06:02 PM
My friend's brother was 'offered' (told to apply by the people deciding who gets it) a post-doctoral position in Jerusalem and he BOTTLED IT.

Pepe
19-01-2016, 06:04 PM
If the money was good I would take it (I know absolutely nothing about life in Israel.) From there it is an easy path to Harold's backyard.

Spammer
26-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Starting my placement next week and I'm looking for insurance options. I've come across a website called 'therapist insurance' and it's just taken me a good 30 seconds of looking at the address to realise that it wasn't 'the rapist insurance'. I mean, I know you can get most things insured nowadays but fucking hell.

Boydy
29-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Finally handed in my MA dissertation.

:)

Pepe
29-01-2016, 01:30 PM
I thought you were done like two years ago.

Reminds me I need to fill a form so that these wankers give me my MS at the end of the summer.

Boydy
29-01-2016, 01:48 PM
I didn't even start this two years ago.

I started this in September 2014 and should've been finished September 2015 but had to get extensions because of the shitty depression and that.

Pepe
29-01-2016, 01:53 PM
I see. Congrats. :thbup:

Boydy
29-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks. :)

Pepe
29-01-2016, 02:01 PM
PhD now? I am expecting you and Lewis over here before 2017.