PDA

View Full Version : The Uni Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Boydy
29-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't know.

The guy who was going to supervise me for the one I applied for last year (which I couldn't have done anyway given I didn't get the MA finished till now) emailed me a couple of weeks ago telling me there was more funding available for the coming year. He said I should apply for it since I still have a place there (just without funding currently). So maybe.

Although Lewis' job struggles hardly fill me with confidence for going down that path.

randomlegend
29-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Well done Boyd. It's bloody hard getting stuck back into shit after that sort of break.

Spammer
29-01-2016, 04:37 PM
What was the subject, Boyd?

I wanna do a PHD one day. One day...

Spoonsky
29-01-2016, 10:22 PM
What was the subject, Boyd?

Moaning.

Just kidding, nice one Boydy.

Smiffy
31-01-2016, 11:00 AM

ItalAussie
31-01-2016, 11:02 AM
How do you lot go about studying and doing the actual work? I'm getting so far behind on my diploma that I'm tempted to just jack it all in. I struggle concentrating at the best of times and although I know the answers (or at least I think I do), I just struggle to put them down on paper. I'm much better at just 'doing it' than writing about the how's and why's.

Any advice?
I would recommend setting small goals. Sometimes staring down an entire assignment can feel very daunting, especially at the start. But the more you break it down into manageable chunks, the more you can drip-feed yourself feelings of accomplishment.

Also, one of the big hangups in study is the idea that you're doing it entirely at your own behest. I found that while working with people can be distracting, it's good to meet other students for regular discussion of the material. That way you wind up being accountable to someone other than yourself.

Smiffy
31-01-2016, 11:22 AM

ItalAussie
31-01-2016, 11:27 AM
I never found reading alone to be very helpful. I recommend summarizing while you read, then putting away the original document and writing your answer based on the summaries. That's how I used to do it, because just reading or reading/highlighting simply led to my mind wandering.

I don't know how it is for you, but for me, the act of writing really helped solidify it in my head.

five time
31-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Make some notes as you're reading. Writing down even bullet points will help ingrain it into your head and it'll come back quicker when you read them later, hopefully.

Spoonsky
09-02-2016, 05:50 AM
I got into McGill. http://www.allthingsninja.com/forums/Smileys/default/canada.gif

Raoul Duke
09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Congratulation :thbup: What are you studying?

Spammer
09-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I just underline stuff and make notes in the book I'm reading. Only if I own the book though, obvs.

That said, I used to be a right twat at uni. Just underlining stuff all over the place in library books. What a bellend.

ItalAussie
09-02-2016, 11:04 AM
I got into McGill. http://www.allthingsninja.com/forums/Smileys/default/canada.gif

McGill's awesome. Really great result. :)

Boydy
09-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Congratulations, eh.

Spoonsky
09-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Congratulation :thbup: What are you studying?

English or Philosophy, I think. I'll hear from the rest of the schools I've applied to in March but it's a nice safety net to have.

Pepe
09-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Canada. :cool:

Boydy
09-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Does Canada work out much (any?) cheaper for you?

Spammer
09-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Ahh to have uni to look forward to again :drool:

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I was put into lectures and seminars for all the units I deferred last year and one lecturer is sending me emails wondering why I haven't been attending. This despite being sent a letter stating I just had to complete the coursework I failed to do as well as emails after I panicked about all the timetabling.

He's still trying to get me into a seminar to do group work shit that I've already done :\

Spoonsky
10-02-2016, 01:41 AM
Does Canada work out much (any?) cheaper for you?

It is much cheaper. 18,000 CAD which is about $13,000 for tuition, and I don't think room/board is that much..

BUT. I just got into Northeastern (in Boston) with a full tuition scholarship.

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/hphotos-xpa1/v/t59.2708-21/11274632_427379237467356_748119030_n.gif?oh=4ca1aa 86a423ee98b4199ff52af33cc2&oe=56BCC34E

randomlegend
10-02-2016, 01:42 AM
Well done :)

randomlegend
10-02-2016, 01:43 AM
At the other end of the spectrum (knock it home, Tobes), medicine is still wank.

Toby
10-02-2016, 01:46 AM
I don't think you're autistic mate.

Toby
10-02-2016, 01:46 AM
You're Bancini, not Billy Bibbett.

randomlegend
10-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Lewis did that joke before, I think.

Toby
10-02-2016, 01:49 AM
It was actually me, I've just remembered. I said one of you and Byron would have to pick a different character when you met Lewis (McMurphy). It was a pretty great joke, really, and yet I don't think anybody laughed. Bastards.

randomlegend
10-02-2016, 01:52 AM
You might just not be as funny as you think you are. :p

On an unrelated note, why do we have both : face: and : facepalm:?

Lewis
10-02-2016, 01:56 AM
At least I got the good one.

Pepe
10-02-2016, 02:45 AM
It is much cheaper. 18,000 CAD which is about $13,000 for tuition, and I don't think room/board is that much..

BUT. I just got into Northeastern (in Boston) with a full tuition scholarship.

:cool:

Does it include room and board? If not that must be a bit expensive over there. I was not a big fan of the whole 'work experience' thing they seem to be all about but it is a quite good university nonetheless. Also Boston is superb. Clam chowder. :drool:

Spoonsky
10-02-2016, 02:58 AM
Doesn't include room and board, but still it would be cheaper than probably anywhere else bar the U. It might help with negotiating lower rates at other schools too.

randomlegend
10-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Theme for this week is "Death in Childhood".

Predictably cheerful so far.

mugbull
10-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Doesn't include room and board, but still it would be cheaper than probably anywhere else bar the U. It might help with negotiating lower rates at other schools too.

This. I did exactly that when I got admissions offers. Got em to lower my yearly cost by literally $10,000 (still like $30k lol).

Spoonsky
11-02-2016, 01:58 AM
Where else did you get in?

mugbull
11-02-2016, 03:05 AM
The other schools i negotiated with were Columbia and UChicago. Stanford was pretty clearly my first choice, but they didnt have to know that.

Spoonsky
12-02-2016, 01:08 AM
Got into the U of Vermont. I'm on fire. :cool:

Pepe
12-02-2016, 02:00 AM
Bernie would be proud.

Bartholomert
15-02-2016, 03:19 AM
Is Spoons in college yet?

Spoonsky
15-02-2016, 05:22 AM
You could've at least gone to the effort of reading this page.

Bartholomert
15-02-2016, 05:43 AM
You could've at least gone to the effort of reading this page.

Yeah but I'm trying to project that I don't care that much. It's all part of the persona.

Anyways what's the top choice at present?

Spoonsky
15-02-2016, 06:26 AM
McGill's the top choice because I got in, and it's pretty cheap (thx Obama for flooding the world with Iranian oil and killing the Canadian exchange rate).

Bartholomert
15-02-2016, 07:43 AM
McGill's the top choice because I got in, and it's pretty cheap (thx Obama for flooding the world with Iranian oil and killing the Canadian exchange rate).

McGill is alright as a name 'brand' but you would get absolutely fucked in terms of networking and a total lack of top level recruiting for the US market. Better off being top of your class at Utah, not to mention the social life for non-French speakers will be very frustrating. They are not the most accepting bunch, especially since all of the French speaking social elite of Europe send their kids (who didn't quite get into the right schools) there. I know a lot of kids from my high school who went to McGill; Phonics can corroborate me on this.

Spoonsky
15-02-2016, 08:11 AM
I speak French tho.

Bartholomert
15-02-2016, 08:22 AM
I speak French tho.

Fluently, like a mother tongue? Regardless you're a provincial middle-class kid from Utah of all places, the French are elitist/pretentious/classist beyond anything you'll have ever experienced.

I'm telling you dude, take the full-ride to Utah and accept who you are (unless you get in somewhere truly worth it).

mugbull
15-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Don't go to Utah you fucking spastic. McGill or bust. Or Stanford obvs if you get in.

Bartholomert
15-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Don't go to Utah you fucking spastic. McGill or bust. Or Stanford obvs if you get in.

Do you know anybody that actually went to McGill? Or are you just relying on the 'brand' value?

mugbull
15-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Utah would be so fucking boring if you've lived in Utah your entire life. Go somewhere else, be around different people.

simon
15-02-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm telling you dude, take the full-ride to Utah and accept who you are (unless you get in somewhere truly worth it).

This is pretty ironic, no?

ItalAussie
15-02-2016, 12:38 PM
I met a bunch of great people at Oxford who went to McGill. Seems to put out good grads.

I've only visited the place, but it seemed really nice when I was there.

Pepe
15-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Mert and mokbull, exactly the type of people anyone would want advice from.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-02-2016, 01:26 AM
Spoon would fucking wank himself into a coma in French Canada.

McGill would be perfect for him.

Spoonsky
16-02-2016, 01:35 AM
I was gonna say, if I'm going to "accept who I am" surely I should be putting on a scarf and moving to Quebec. Not everyone from Utah is provincial.

John Arne
16-02-2016, 08:40 AM
I've just watched The Internet's Own Boy about Aaron Swartz and his downloading of scientific journals from JSTOR, given that all of these scientific journals are not open to public access.

Why is this the case? I guess the writer sells their work to a publisher (to earn money to live/for future research) and that they publisher simply owns the work and attempts to make profit from the research - is this the case?

Would it be beneficial to scientific/medical research in general if all of these journals were completely open source?

ItalAussie
16-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I've just watched The Internet's Own Boy about Aaron Swartz and his downloading of scientific journals from JSTOR, given that all of these scientific journals are not open to public access.

Why is this the case? I guess the writer sells their work to a publisher (to earn money to live/for future research) and that they publisher simply owns the work and attempts to make profit from the research - is this the case?

Would it be beneficial to scientific/medical research in general if all of these journals were completely open source?

Academic publishing is a massive racket, and the companies defend their profit margins fiercely:

In an article that many of you will now have seen, Heather Morrison demonstrated the enormous profits of STM (Scientific, Technical and Medical) scholarly publishers. The figures are taken from her in-progress dissertation which in turn cites an article in The Economist. It all checks out. I emphasise this because I found the figures so hard to believe. Here they are again: profits as a percentage of revenue for commercial STM publishers in 2010 or early 2011:

Elsevier: £724m on revenue of £2b — 36%
Springer‘s Science+Business Media: £294m on revenue of £866m — 33.9%
John Wiley & Sons: $106m on revenue of $253m — 42%
Academic division of Informa plc: £47m on revenue of £145m — 32.4%

And the crazy thing is, academics do the writing, they do the reviewing, and they do the editing. All for free (in some cases, even paying page fees to have their articles published). The companies basically just typeset the things and sell them at massive profits, getting the copyright to boot. And then they bundle together subscription packages so that if you want something important like, say, Nonlinearity, you need to get expensive subscriptions to Goat Intestinal Quarterly.

There have been some steps take to rectify it, with open source journals like PLOS ONE starting to obtain decent reputations, but it's just a massively entrenched system. No academic is willing to kick their career to the curb by not posting their best work in prestigious journals, and so the cycle continues. There's just too much inertia to the current arrangement.

John Arne
16-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks, ItalAussie

So, why are academics so quick to give their work over to these publishers? There must be other ways to get your work out there, especially online? Or academics could pool together to create their own non-profit publishing arm?

Jimmy Floyd
16-02-2016, 09:26 AM
It always used to amaze me how expensive academic literature was at university. I could buy the complete works of any of the most prolific fiction writers of the day for less than the price of a couple of political science textbooks. I know someone has to pay or the research wouldn't happen, but still.

ItalAussie
16-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks, ItalAussie

So, why are academics so quick to give their work over to these publishers? There must be other ways to get your work out there, especially online? Or academics could pool together to create their own non-profit publishing arm?
Because one of the most important metrics of success as an academic is the calibre of journal in which you publish your material. Better journals are more widely read, and ensure that your work is read by the widest possible audience. If you don't publish in the most prestigious journals available to you, you're hamstringing your own career. It's great to have principles, but it's even greater to have a job.

A lot of academics have gotten quite angry about this recently, and there was a boycott a few years ago where a number of top (, top, top) academics boycotted Elsevier journals. But even they said that they couldn't recommend this course of action to early career academics, because they just had too much to lose. The movement gained a bit of traction, and a number of journals started to include open source options.

The other thing that is making this less unacceptable is that most journals will let you put preprints on a public paper repository known as the ArXiv. This means that even if the article is behind a paywall, there will likely be a free version accessible. I doubt the journals love the idea, but if they tried to stop that, the pitchforks would really come out.

ItalAussie
16-02-2016, 10:31 AM
It always used to amaze me how expensive academic literature was at university. I could buy the complete works of any of the most prolific fiction writers of the day for less than the price of a couple of political science textbooks. I know someone has to pay or the research wouldn't happen, but still.

Textbooks are a very different, and equally crazy but for different reasons, kettle of fish. The real reason that textbooks are so high is lack of demand compared to proper books.

Toby
16-02-2016, 10:36 AM
On the subject of journal prices, I read about this women yesterday: http://www.sciencealert.com/this-woman-has-illegally-uploaded-millions-of-journal-articles-in-an-attempt-to-open-up-science

A researcher in Russia has made more than 48 million journal articles - almost ever single peer-reviewed paper every published - freely available online. And she's now refusing to shut the site down, despite a court injunction and a lawsuit from Elsevier, one of the world's biggest publishers.

John Arne
16-02-2016, 10:57 AM
That's what Aaron Swartz was basically accused/charged to be planning to do.

randomlegend
16-02-2016, 10:59 AM
What a baller :cool:

EDIT: http://www.sciencealert.com/journal-accepts-paper-titled-get-me-off-your-f-cking-mailing-list?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=Website&utm_campaign=InArticleReadMore

:D

Pepe
16-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks, [MENTION=129]So, why are academics so quick to give their work over to these publishers?

Because they are a bunch of pushovers and idiots.

Boydy
16-02-2016, 05:42 PM
I had an interview at an investment trust a while ago (didn't get it lol) and they had an investment strategy of holding stock in about 30 companies for the long term. They weren't arsed about temporary market fluctuations at all. Elsevier was one of their top holdings.

Lewis
29-02-2016, 04:45 PM
I got my peer review(!) report back from the publisher today, and the reviewer said publish it as it stands by all means, but it would be better if it made more of an attempt to be a biography of Duncan Sandys rather than just a book about his approach to nuclear policy-making. Was there a particular part of a manuscript titled Duncan Sandys and British Nuclear Policy-Making that left my intentions unclear?

Jimmy Floyd
29-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Probably the bit where you left out ': *wanky metaphor*'.

Pepe
29-02-2016, 05:41 PM
Hard to turn that into a mini-series.

randomlegend
02-03-2016, 08:42 PM
We had a lecture yesterday on non-accidental injury.

Fucking hell it was harrowing.

Boydy
02-03-2016, 08:44 PM
What's that, self harm?

randomlegend
02-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Child abuse, basically.

I'm on paedIATRICS at the moment.

Boydy
02-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Oh. :(

Lee
02-03-2016, 08:54 PM
It's a little known fact that the day you become a paediatric consultant you also turn into a massive cunt. Gastroenterologists, gerontologists and cardiologists are mostly nice. Respiratory doctors are evil fucks.

randomlegend
02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
The paediatricians at the N and N are the nicest bunch of consultants and regs I have come across on any specialty by some distance.

Lee
02-03-2016, 08:59 PM
They call you a wanker behind your back, I guarantee it.

randomlegend
02-03-2016, 09:03 PM

Nah, they are genuinely enthusiastic about what they do, which makes the teaching great. First module I've really loved in ages.

randomlegend
02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Oh. :(

But yeah, some of the shit people do is just beyond belief.

Spoonsky
28-03-2016, 03:32 AM
mokbull I didn't get into Stanford.

Because I'm not a nerd. :loser:

mugbull
28-03-2016, 03:42 AM
Truuu, so where do you think you're gonna be going? Have you gotten all decision back?

Spoonsky
28-03-2016, 03:51 AM
McGill seems the most likely at this point. Just waiting on the Ivies and Reed I think.

Also I'd like to hear your thoughts on UC Santa Cruz and Occidental (because, y'know, same state).

mugbull
28-03-2016, 03:57 AM
It depends, what do you want to study?

Spoonsky
28-03-2016, 04:54 AM
Philosophy probably, or English. Minor in Art History perhaps.

Pepe
30-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Got the following email this morning, together with a text message and an automated call:

A person WITH A WEAPON has been reported on the North Campus (700 Rosedale). GO TO a place that you feel safe and remain there until further notice. For additional updates go to emergency.wustl.edu

Some alarms were blaring earlier too.

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/original/UQF-8_zuCur5bV840ZyKMqJRpe0.gif

Lewis
07-04-2016, 01:02 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/y1852.png

I was given two options, but the other one had the text in a big yellow circle that looked like a clearance sale sticker. Now I just need the English Speaking Union to admit/realise that they own Lord Cherwell's papers ('Nuffield College has them'; yes, but you own them) so I can have their permission to use them, and we're off. :cool:

Pepe
07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Dat cover. :drool:

Pepe
07-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Also my advisor asked us to heckle an environmentalist that will be presenting at a nearby university in April.

This is next week. We're having an EXECUTIVE MEETING tomorrow to figure out, in two hours, how to discredit discredit his twenty years work. :rolleyes:

ItalAussie
08-04-2016, 12:11 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/y1852.png

I was given two options, but the other one had the text in a big yellow circle that looked like a clearance sale sticker. Now I just need the English Speaking Union to admit/realise that they own Lord Cherwell's papers ('Nuffield College has them'; yes, but you own them) so I can have their permission to use them, and we're off. :cool:

Could you just "believe them" and ask Nuffield directly?

Had a college dinner there once. The head butler was a colossal bag of dicks to us, and our college put in an official complaint.

Lewis
08-04-2016, 12:57 AM
I asked Nuffield College originally, and they referred me to the English Speaking Union. I'll ring them up today and have a whinge, but if they keep being useless I will probably end up submitting it, hiding behind the 'Every effort has been made to secure the permissions required...' disclaimer, and hoping that nobody bothers suing the publisher (why would they?).

It's a right pain in the arse, and presumably set up to provide copyright solicitors with work (possibly answering the above). The Winston Churchill people charge you by the word if you use anything from his papers, even though 1) the government spent millions on them in the nineties; and 2) half of them are government documents that it owned anyway (which was why the family were originally told to get fucked when they tried cashing in on them in the seventies). Nobody else seems to be as pissy though. They just ask for a title and some context (which I took to mean 'Is it about paedophiles?') and let you do what you want.

Pepe
11-04-2016, 11:23 PM
And another one:

A person WITH A WEAPON has been reported on the Medical School Campus. GO TO a place that you feel safe and remain there until further notice. For additional updates go to emergency.wustl.edu

:drool:

Bartholomert
12-04-2016, 07:19 AM
McGill seems the most likely at this point. Just waiting on the Ivies and Reed I think.

Also I'd like to hear your thoughts on UC Santa Cruz and Occidental (because, y'know, same state).

Not even close to being worth it. Go to Utah, save the money, go to some football games, join a mediocre fraternity, get laid a bit, maintain a high GPA and go somewhere exciting for grad school. You would get eaten alive by the pretentious wannabe French kids in Quebec.

Spoonsky
12-04-2016, 10:05 PM
It's a good job you didn't go into advertising. McGill's really cheap also, idk what kind of upper-middle-class white kid you think I am that I would save money instead of going there.

I get into Reed also, hehe. It's between that and McGill and Occidental. But I'm definitely leaning towards McGill.

Spoonsky
12-04-2016, 10:07 PM
The other question is whether to do a gap year or not. Definitely tempted to move to Italy for a few months.

Lewis
12-04-2016, 10:45 PM
'Sorrentino lied, mom. :('

Boydy
12-04-2016, 10:56 PM
:lol:

Spoonsky
13-04-2016, 04:08 AM
I have been to Italy before, you know.

:(

Bartholomert
14-04-2016, 02:52 PM
It's a good job you didn't go into advertising. McGill's really cheap also, idk what kind of upper-middle-class white kid you think I am that I would save money instead of going there.

I get into Reed also, hehe. It's between that and McGill and Occidental. But I'm definitely leaning towards McGill.

You didn't get into a school worth the money. That's the reality. Now you can be in denial about it and waste your families money/go into debt, or you can make an economically efficient choice for your future. Everyone I've ever met who went to Reed or Occidental emphasized that it was miserable, they regretted it, and that if they could choose again they would never go there. Everyone there is deep into drugs because there literally is nothing else to do. The girls are ugly, entitled, masculine and not interested in kids from Utah. Best case scenario you'll date a 3-4/10 Asian by Junior year.

Four years from now you will see I was 100% right. You're blinded by your ego (going to Utah would be a 'failure') and your desire to 'see the world' or whatever nonsense Bernie supporters believe in.

randomlegend
14-04-2016, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't take advice from someone who can't even use apostrophes properly, Spoon.

Lewis
14-04-2016, 03:07 PM
He has a point. Boyd was in a similar situation.

Pepe
14-04-2016, 03:08 PM
At least Spoons will get a girlfriend.

Lewis
14-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Mert is a 3-4/10 Asian, so I'll defer to him there as well.

Pepe
14-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Boydy
14-04-2016, 04:43 PM
He has a point. Boyd was in a similar situation.

Huh?

Lewis
14-04-2016, 05:19 PM
When you came home rather than take the expensive London option.

Vim
14-04-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm going to Florence for Erasmus semester in the fall. :nodd:

Boydy
14-04-2016, 06:05 PM

It was shit.

Although staying in London and working all the time to afford it would've been shit too.

Pepe
14-04-2016, 06:31 PM

All three of spoons options are in nice cities tbf. ( if you can call LA nice :sick:)

Raoul Duke
14-04-2016, 11:08 PM
When President Bernie is sworn in, Mert might actually top himself

Spoonsky
15-04-2016, 05:38 AM
You didn't get into a school worth the money. That's the reality. Now you can be in denial about it and waste your families money/go into debt, or you can make an economically efficient choice for your future. Everyone I've ever met who went to Reed or Occidental emphasized that it was miserable, they regretted it, and that if they could choose again they would never go there. Everyone there is deep into drugs because there literally is nothing else to do. The girls are ugly, entitled, masculine and not interested in kids from Utah. Best case scenario you'll date a 3-4/10 Asian by Junior year.

Four years from now you will see I was 100% right. You're blinded by your ego (going to Utah would be a 'failure') and your desire to 'see the world' or whatever nonsense Bernie supporters believe in.

Now that's just ridiculous.

I would never date an Asian.

Spoonsky
15-04-2016, 05:39 AM
In all honesty I kind of agree with you, especially about Reed, that's why imma go to McGill and find a cute French girl instead. :rasta:

Bartholomert
18-04-2016, 12:50 PM
In all honesty I kind of agree with you, especially about Reed, that's why imma go to McGill and find a cute French girl instead. :rasta:

Dude you're smart enough that you could get through Utah with a very high GPA, close connections to professors (who would be impressed by your relative intelligence and genuine interest in I'm assuming a niche humanities subject), while enjoying a memorable College Experience (tm) to boot. After that, assuming you are diligent about your grades you could do a post-grad study somewhere sick (coming from Utah would add 'diversity' at that level) and you would have a very nice life / resume (with much less debt on top of it).

McGill sounds better than Utah obviously (in fact my sister might go there :| if Georgetown / Duke doesn't work out) and don't get me wrong, congratulations that's a great school and you should be proud, but I genuinely don't think you would be happier. Utah would give you the chance at a quintessential college experience which is literally invaluable / so fun and it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. I could even get you a letter of recommendation for whatever chapter you would want to rush down the line (which you should absolutely do).

Pepe
18-04-2016, 01:42 PM
A letter of recommendation from mert. :rasta:

Spammer
18-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Back to classes on Wednesday. Left an essay until the last minute again. I should know better by know :uhoh:

Boydy
18-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Next 8 weeks are going to be absolutely horrific. Cba.

The week or so after finals is great though. But then you have to leave and it's all a bit sad and depressing.

What are going to do next?

Lewis
18-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Dude you're smart enough that you could get through Utah with a very high GPA, close connections to professors (who would be impressed by your relative intelligence and genuine interest in I'm assuming a niche humanities subject), while enjoying a memorable College Experience (tm) to boot. After that, assuming you are diligent about your grades you could do a post-grad study somewhere sick (coming from Utah would add 'diversity' at that level) and you would have a very nice life / resume (with much less debt on top of it).

Other than the fact you're talking about a system that classes Arabs as 'white', thereby sinking his 'diversity' credentials from the start, I agree with that.

Boydy
18-04-2016, 04:36 PM
People keep saying there's a life post-Finals but it feels like years away. Got to love law though. Subjects like English have only a couple of exams, whilst we have 9 exams in 11 days. Sigh.

No concrete plan (see: plan of any substance at all) at the moment. Been pretty set on gambling full time, and probably will spend the summer doing that, but I'm gradually going off the idea. So probably a case of wait and see.

No doubt I'll end up in Accountancy like every other fucker.

Many people going into accountancy? I only know one who did that although he's one of my best mates.

Wouldn't you be better off becoming a solicitor if you're going to go somewhere corporatey like that?

Pepe
18-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Last thing we need is another accountant ffs.

Gambling full time though. :D

mugbull
19-04-2016, 12:36 AM
McGill should definitely be your top choice Spoonsky. Occidental sucks and Reed's not much better. The "quintessential college experience" is fine but not that great (the European lifestyle is way better), and at Utah you'd be around dumbfucks. The #1 thing I've profited from by being at a top school is other people pushing me to become better. You wouldn't get that at Utah. Still probably better than those random UC's / Reed, but definitely do McGill if you can.

Spoonsky
19-04-2016, 03:41 AM
That's it, I'll go to McGill and bang Mert's sister.

Just got back from UC Santa Cruz and it's literally paradise though. I won't go because it's too expensive / not rigorous enough but it is so nice.

Bartholomert
19-04-2016, 04:09 AM
That's it, I'll go to McGill and bang Mert's sister.

Just got back from UC Santa Cruz and it's literally paradise though. I won't go because it's too expensive / not rigorous enough but it is so nice.

She's too snobby and entitled for you, don't get your hopes up (:arry:). Anyways she should get into Georgetown and Duke is a reach (it'll be interesting to see how much legacy status really matters) so this is all very hypothetical.

I also really don't get the pattern of the schools you applied to.

To clarify what I said earlier, I wouldn't necessarily write your letter of reccomendation but I have friends who are alumni from just about every major national fraternity, I would have them sign their name off of something you wrote yourself so it was legit.

Spoonsky
19-04-2016, 04:17 AM
They were mostly good (often too good lmaooo) schools in big cities, of varying sizes. My mom just told me to apply to Santa Cruz because it's really nice.

Pepe
19-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Not rigorous enough, as if any US university is 'rigorous.' Any top tier school has like a 90%+ graduation rate ffs.

Bartholomert
20-04-2016, 03:44 AM
Not rigorous enough, as if any US university is 'rigorous.' Any top tier school has like a 90%+ graduation rate ffs.

Affirmative action and athletes. Just saying.

mugbull
20-04-2016, 05:21 AM
as if any US university is 'rigorous.'

:baz:

I think you've run out of things to say in life and now you just create opinions through recombination.

Pepe
20-04-2016, 07:22 PM
We're in STATE OF ALERT as someone was shot on campus. I'm stuck in a bloody warehouse. :moop:

Pepe
20-04-2016, 09:39 PM
http://www.kmov.com/story/31774690/wash-u-issues-alert-after-person-with-weapon-seen-on-campus

Third 'someone with a gun roaming around' alert in a month or so. One injured person this time apparently. According to my neighbour, who is a professor, it was a drive-by shooting (he could be making it all up of course.)

Ian
23-04-2016, 08:03 AM
I thought you were exaggerating in the other thread, Pepe, but that is a pretty harrowing story.

You okay?

elth
25-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Accountancy is a big risk given the robots are coming for it.

I'd do something less processy if you can.

Pepe
25-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I thought you were exaggerating in the other thread, Pepe, but that is a pretty harrowing story.

You okay?

Taking six months off to recover.

Spoonsky
28-04-2016, 02:49 AM
The 9-month process is over, I've paid my deposit at McGill. Feels weird man.

Adios America. :wave:

mugbull
28-04-2016, 04:28 AM
Awesome Spoon. They will be the 4 best years of your life. I'm almost done with year 3 of 4 and I already have so many regrets, but also so many memories. And I'm a totally different person than I was coming in.

mugbull
28-04-2016, 04:29 AM
And you already updated your Facebook cover photo. I take back everything I said.

Spoonsky
28-04-2016, 05:41 AM
I'm a slave to social norms. :(

Spoonsky
28-04-2016, 05:51 AM
Hang on, what are you doing creeping on my Facebook (I know I'm one to talk)? If you're going to do that just add me.

mugbull
28-04-2016, 09:24 AM
I tried adding you like 4 years ago and you never accepted so eventually i withdrew my request and now i just watch you

Pepe
28-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I'd say you smashed it. Spoons. :cool:

Spoonsky
28-04-2016, 01:25 PM
I tried adding you like 4 years ago and you never accepted so eventually i withdrew my request and now i just watch you

I probably didn't know who you were. Get back on it, think of all the Bernie Sanders articles you're missing out on.

Lewis
28-04-2016, 02:35 PM
I reckon I've seen most of those through what my friend's wife shares. They're normally accompanied by profound comments about reforming the education system so that people stop voting Republican, and what claims to be a picture of 'Bernie' protesting man's banishment from the Garden of Eden.

Bartholomert
12-05-2016, 05:28 AM
About 36 hours from being done with my last exam (that I am completely and utterly fucked for) of 1L year.

It has been, easily, the worst most miserable experience of my entire life. The issue I have with the word miserable in using to describe the last nine months is that it is relative, so that your understanding of the word is grounded in your experiences of what misery feels like. The misery I am referring to is so far beyond anything I had ever experienced prior to coming to law school, I don't think it's possible to comprehend unless you have gone through something similar. I have spent the last 8-10 hours of every day for the last 6 weeks studying dense, uninteresting, idiosyncratic material, essentially on my own with little to no social interaction, and to show for it, I will be absolutely delighted to have done average relative to my peers.

People used to tell me, don't go to law school unless you really are passionate about the law and an obsessively well organized and industrious student. I thought, meh, I'm pretty smart, I've done well in school, shouldn't be too bad. It's bad. So bad. I don't know what life would have been like if I had just been another Duke kid in consulting, but I can't imagine that it would be worse than this.

I'm off to bed now, and tomorrow I will wake up again and probably pull an all-nighter going into my 9 AM, 4 hour exam. Rant over.

Byron
12-05-2016, 05:49 AM
I well say, my sister in law went to study law and she felt the same way, the first year absolutely broke her mentally.

Spoonsky
12-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Living the dream, eh. Reckon you'll continue?

niko_cee
12-05-2016, 06:55 AM
It's a piece of piss.

Although I've no idea about the yanks with their juris doctors and pop quizzes. As a postgrad thing do you just get bombed with 3 (1.5) years worth of work in 1 (like the GDL)?

Bartholomert
12-05-2016, 06:56 AM
Living the dream, eh. Reckon you'll continue?

Of course, I'm not some pussy quitter. This is the price you pay for a lifetime of prestige, socioeconomically segregated and safe neighborhoods and an attitude of sneering condescension towards the peasantry. My parents did it, now it's my turn.

I have a job this summer in the legal department of one of the top 100 largest multinational corporations in the world. I'm doing fine. But it's fucking brutal.

Bartholomert
12-05-2016, 07:01 AM
It's a piece of piss.

Although I've no idea about the yanks with their juris doctors and pop quizzes. As a postgrad thing do you just get bombed with 3 (1.5) years worth of work in 1 (like the GDL)?

Lol piece of piss? You're graded on a curve alongside probably the top 1-2% smartest kids in your generation in the country, law school is a lot of things, but it's not easy.

It's 3 years, but pretty much you get the core actually important classes out of the way in the first year.

niko_cee
12-05-2016, 07:10 AM
I'll admit I have no idea about the US system with it's class rankings and all. Do you need to be the x best in your year to get a job? At the end of the day, unless you are doing it for intellectual curiosity, which almost nobody does (I did, I'm an idiot), you only need to do enough to get the bit of paper (or whatever you need at the end). You don't need to read those 3000 articles on the native land rights of Australian aborigines and how they can sit within a system of private property, or whatever else. Does the US even have the more esoteric stuff we call property law (I think most/tinpot places actually split it into equities and trusts and land law)?

They probably just make it beastly to prepare you for life in a large American law firm, which, as far as I can tell, is absolute, well, misery. Good word.

elth
12-05-2016, 07:50 AM
An 8 week placement in a law firm was enough to convince me that I had absolutely zero interest in pursuing that as a career. What a soulless existence.

Pepe
12-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I bet I could don it. No pussy meltdowns either.

Bartholomert
12-05-2016, 05:05 PM
I'll admit I have no idea about the US system with it's class rankings and all. Do you need to be the x best in your year to get a job? At the end of the day, unless you are doing it for intellectual curiosity, which almost nobody does (I did, I'm an idiot), you only need to do enough to get the bit of paper (or whatever you need at the end). You don't need to read those 3000 articles on the native land rights of Australian aborigines and how they can sit within a system of private property, or whatever else. Does the US even have the more esoteric stuff we call property law (I think most/tinpot places actually split it into equities and trusts and land law)?

They probably just make it beastly to prepare you for life in a large American law firm, which, as far as I can tell, is absolute, well, misery. Good word.

Effectively you need to score median to have a reasonable chance of getting a reasonable job (unless you qualify as 'diversity' which I do not), and you need to score top third if you want to be competitive for a top job. Think of the smartest, most sociopathic, most type A, hardest working people you have ever met. Put them in a room, and then have them compete academically against each other for their chance to snag a 160k/year job at age 25. That's what law school is like in the T-14.

Bartholomert
12-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Going through a not too dissimilar thing at the moment. Don't think I hit 10 hours per day though, probably around 7-8 on average. Have become a lot better at working efficiently, largely down to going to libraries. 60 minutes work in the library probably equates to about 90 minutes work in my room.

I don't see how doing 9+ hours each day for a sustained period is really the most effective way to revise,.

I just keep my room / desk clean and work in my room for the most part. It's at the point where I think the process of going to library wastes too much time because that's maybe 30 minutes of getting everything together both ways, plus lost time for getting food, going to the bathroom, refilling water bottles, etc.

It's not sustainable and I'm utterly spent at this point. 100% dependent on nicotine and stimulants, blood pressure is through the roof and my resting heart rate is probably in the 80s. If I had to do it for one more week I don't think I would make it.

23 hours left.

Bartholomert
13-05-2016, 12:56 PM
I used to think of the library in the same way but there's really a number of advantages: increased productivity (as above); change of scenery; some downtime (walking to and from); some fresh air etc.

Anyway, best of luck, you'll have the post-exam euphoria soon enough.

5 minutes until the exam starts, killing time beforehand.

They've got a 'champagne celebration' event right after, it's as if they want us to be alcoholics.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 01:04 PM
We don't get any time off before exams to revise, shit sucks.

Sir Andy Mahowry
13-05-2016, 02:32 PM
I used to think of the library in the same way but there's really a number of advantages: increased productivity (as above); change of scenery; some downtime (walking to and from); some fresh air etc.

Anyway, best of luck, you'll have the post-exam euphoria soon enough.

I find it hard to work anywhere.

At home there are too many things to make me slide into procrastination mode and at a library there are too many people and because I'm a seriously nosey twat I'll spend most of the time listening and watching other people.

GS
13-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Most examinations boil down to technique. Once you crack how to get marks, the rest should flow from there.

Lewis
13-05-2016, 06:35 PM
We don't get any time off before exams to revise, shit sucks.

Tired students make mistakes. That can't be very good for patient safety.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Too right. I'll organise a strike.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Most examinations boil down to technique. Once you crack how to get marks, the rest should flow from there.

Apart from the ones which require copious factual knowledge, presumably.

No exam technique in the world is going to get you the marks on some obscure anatomy (or presumably legal) question if you don't know the answer.

niko_cee
13-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Technique is king, until you get to mcq exams.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 09:17 PM
We have two multiple choice and extended matching papers (120 questions in total I think) and a short essay exam (8 shorts answers in 2 hours).

Then two days of clinical exams.

Torture.

GS
13-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Apart from the ones which require copious factual knowledge, presumably.

No exam technique in the world is going to get you the marks on some obscure anatomy (or presumably legal) question if you don't know the answer.

Yes, you need to know the facts. However, there are clear ways to get marks on examinations in accordance with the mark scheme. Once you understand this, it should be much easier to mould your response accordingly. My final accounting exams included a nine hour exam over two days, without actual questions (they were buried in the narrative and you were meant to identify what needed to be done) and a requirement to pass all subjects examined or you failed the whole thing. My approach was to work out how it was marked and structured my response on the days accordingly. I ended up in the top decile for all papers, largely because I was totally confident about the way to approach it and what I needed to do on the day. Everything else flowed from there.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 10:27 PM
It's just not applicable to my exams. They are multiple choice and short essay answers to very specific questions, you either know it or you don't.

GCSEs and A-levels certainly (it's something I always bang on about when I've done any tutoring), but med exams...nah.

GS
13-05-2016, 10:32 PM
I do keep forgetting that medicine is special. I suppose it's probably best for patient safety. After all, we couldn't have people passing exams on the basis that they've fluked their way through a multiple choice test.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I dunno why you're being such a child about this....not everyone's exams are the same as yours and that's OK. They don't all "boil down to technique". I imagine plenty of other subjects are similar, they just aren't what I happen to be doing.

Lewis
13-05-2016, 10:39 PM
History exams have a technique to them in that you're basically just writing an essay, which I realised far too late is simply a case of producing formulaic shite; but unless you know what they are going to ask you then you won't get very far without enough knowledge to cover several eventualities. I was usually better at exams because I had the knowledge to wing most things, but I was too big a twat to wind myself in and stick to an essay formula.

igor_balis
13-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I was the master of blagging good marks with limited knowledge during my academic career, but I was always careful to pick subjects with subjectivity and essays and shit. I got A* in English lit A Level despite not completing any of the books, and barely reading more than about 50 pages of half of them. Got A in English Lit AS exam despite comparing the female characters of Great Gatsby to those on MTV's My Super Sweet 16 cus I thought I was fucked so wanted to at least have a laugh as I failed.

If I had done a science subject instead of Politics at uni and put the same amount of effort in I wouldn't have even passed first year.

randomlegend
13-05-2016, 10:45 PM
I just can't learn dry facts. The decision to bin off learning any anatomy was an early one.

Spoonsky
13-05-2016, 11:35 PM
History exams have a technique to them in that you're basically just writing an essay, which I realised far too late is simply a case of producing formulaic shite; but unless you know what they are going to ask you then you won't get very far without enough knowledge to cover several eventualities. I was usually better at exams because I had the knowledge to wing most things, but I was too big a twat to wind myself in and stick to an essay formula.

In my equivalent history exam yesterday I couldn't remember the name of a historian I was citing, so I just went with, "the historian Lewis says that..."

Lewis
13-05-2016, 11:57 PM
The modules where knowing the 'perspectives' is more important than actually answering the question yourself used to do my head in, since it would inevitably mean having to memorise one bloke calling x revolutionary, one bloke emphasising continuity, and another bloke being a twat and refusing to take sides. There is no point in having that in schools.

'On the other hand, Cill E. Bastard believes that the most likely explanation involves so-called "Cultural Marxism", which he argues...'

Pepe
14-05-2016, 12:07 AM
My exams where all about making sure the units matched. I think I've studied twice since I reached higher ed.

Pepe
14-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Is there anything more pointless than academic conferences? Have to go to one on Sunday and I'm dreading it. Eight hours drive too. :sick:

Spoonsky
14-05-2016, 09:21 AM
The modules where knowing the 'perspectives' is more important than actually answering the question yourself used to do my head in, since it would inevitably mean having to memorise one bloke calling x revolutionary, one bloke emphasising continuity, and another bloke being a twat and refusing to take sides. There is no point in having that in schools.

'On the other hand, Cill E. Bastard believes that the most likely explanation involves so-called "Cultural Marxism", which he argues...'

It's called historiography, mate.

Lewis
14-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Which is pointless at that level (and as stand-alone university modules really). You might as well just learn a list of dates.

GS
21-05-2016, 01:29 PM
They're nothing compared to professional exams. You'll survive.

randomlegend
23-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Got to have a "Professionalism Committee" meeting tomorrow, due to ongoing high levels of absence because of migraines.

Can only go and tell them the truth - I really have done everything which could be expected and more to try and get on top of them - and see what they say. I'm not naive and I understand that there may come a point I have to accept that the illness I have just isn't compatible with being a doctor, but even if that's true I'd at least like to (try to) finish the course.

It's really fucking gutting having your potential curtailed by something you have a limited degree of control over.

ItalAussie
23-05-2016, 09:46 PM
That's incredibly rough. Surely they'll have measures in place for dealing with that kind of situation? :(

randomlegend
23-05-2016, 10:14 PM
I guess the problem is their remit is to put out safe doctors, and part of that is having had a certain amount of teaching and clinical exposure. Just passing the exams (which I always have up to this point) isn't enough.

Bartholomert
24-05-2016, 04:52 AM
I guess the problem is their remit is to put out safe doctors, and part of that is having had a certain amount of teaching and clinical exposure. Just passing the exams (which I always have up to this point) isn't enough.

If genuine that blows, hope they look past it. We had a family friends kid who always wanted to be a pilot and spent his whole life working towards it, until it he failed like a routine vision test very late in the process (Allegedly after passing it a few times through guessing- at least that's what the rumor was) which precluded his acceptance into the Air Force.

randomlegend
24-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Well, into the fire...

phonics
24-05-2016, 10:27 AM
You have constant, random migraines? Surely that's caused by something?

randomlegend
24-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Not really. I have a few things which make them worse, like stress, but no cause as such. Just another of the many failings of my weak and feeble body.

Meeting went OK. They were understanding as far as they can be, but there is a threshold at which I will be considered by the exam board regarding whether I can pass the attendance/professionalism module for the year. They tried to be kind about it but I think basically if I hit that I'm fucked.

ItalAussie
24-05-2016, 11:43 AM
I truly hope the best for you. Fingers crossed.

randomlegend
24-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Thank you :)

GS
25-05-2016, 08:43 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/may/25/simon-crowther-loan-grew-by-1800-a-year-says-government-misled-students

You probably should have read it, really.

randomlegend
25-05-2016, 09:08 PM
The headline total amount always seems a bit academic to me, since the majority of people won't pay it off and will have it written off after 30 years regardless.

niko_cee
25-05-2016, 09:10 PM
He should just leave the country and never pay it back.

GS
25-05-2016, 09:25 PM
It's effectively operating as a graduate tax, so presumably we can stop whinging about it now.

phonics
29-05-2016, 02:57 PM
He should just leave the country and never pay it back.

That's what I did. 3.5% seems pretty intense though.

Lewis
29-05-2016, 03:05 PM
It turns out that I have nine GCSEs. Why did I think it was twelve?

EDIT: BBBBBCCDE, if you're interested.

randomlegend
29-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Are you counting English Language and Literature separately and double science as two and all that jazz?

EDIT: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* if you're interested.

Lewis
29-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I just thought eleven/twelve was normal, but could never remember what I got them all in, so I found them the other day. My CDDE at A-level (and an actual U in AS-level Geography) was probably worse.

GS
29-05-2016, 03:42 PM
It's all about just getting yourself to the next stage where you need to be. They don't actually matter very much, in the grand scheme of life.

GS
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Hopefully you won't need the last one by the end of the month.

randomlegend
02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Been in child and youth mental health/eating disorder service this week.

Absolutely fucking soul destroying.

Pepe
02-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Say hi to Magic for me.

randomlegend
08-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Turned up to sit in a clinic this morning at 9.

Dr is on leave. He lectured us 2 days ago ffs, he must have known he had students, just send us a fucking email.

Get told another Dr has a clinic at 930 so decide to hang around. 'Actually it starts at 1030'. OK...maybe I'll go.

Said Dr turns up as I'm leaving and says I can join him but first patient isn't til 1030. Spent the last hour in his room on reddit and watching him sign prescriptions.

1030 comes. 1030 goes. Patient has DNAd.

Next patient should be at 11, hope is waning.

This happens far too often as a med student.

randomlegend
08-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Yesterday afternoon I turned up somewhere for another clinic, got told they would inform the Drs I was here and to sit and wait. Checked after an hour if anything was happening (it wasn't, cheers for telling me) and left.

Pepe
08-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Sounds like every visit to the doctor.

randomlegend
08-06-2016, 12:07 PM
My doctors surgery was rated top 10 in the country. It's the absolute tits.

Pepe
10-06-2016, 12:12 PM
New Brazzers film?

Boydy
10-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Is that you?

Why did I think you were Asian?

Boydy
10-06-2016, 05:17 PM
You're from somewhere in Essex, right? I think I'm getting you mixed up with that other poster who used to be from Southend who was around your age.

Pepe
10-06-2016, 05:24 PM
I thought AD was one of those white kids who thinks he is black.

phonics
10-06-2016, 05:27 PM
No, that's me.

Pepe
10-06-2016, 05:51 PM
No, apart from you. I thought we had another one.

Boydy
10-06-2016, 05:55 PM
We've got that brown kid who thinks he's white? Merk or something.

Sir Andy Mahowry
10-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Bruhnaldho thinks he's black but, I believe, he's whiter than Phonics.

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 11:02 AM
My sister scored 99%tile on her SATs (although lower than me :tongue:), seems like she might be going to Duke too #genetics

Sorry to let you down there Spoons.

Spoonsky
15-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Aw. Is your sister basically a clone of you?

mugbull
15-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Apparently 2250 and up is 99th percentile, so that's not too impressive, especially given how loaded you are. Nice try Murt.

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Aw. Is your sister basically a clone of you?

Nah she's way more European / generic international school kid.

Apparently 2250 and up is 99th percentile, so that's not too impressive, especially given how loaded you are. Nice try Murt.

In my day, trolling used to mean something.

She's probably doing early decision Duke #tear #TheyGrowUpSoFast

Spoonsky
15-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Oh, she'll be a senior in HS?

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Oh, she'll be a senior in HS?

Yeah she's a year younger than you. Tbh I'm mostly excited because this means ill have an excuse to visit for at least a few more years / for big sports games.

Pepe
15-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Remember when mert's parents cried because he didn't get into an Ivy?

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Remember when mert's parents cried because he didn't get into an Ivy?

I always wanted to go to Duke !

...still hurts :cry:

Pepe
15-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Does she have any higher aspirations than Duke, or is she set on that?

mugbull
15-06-2016, 08:18 PM
In my day, trolling used to mean something.

Trolling? It's just another level of elitism.

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 08:18 PM

Does she have any higher aspirations than Duke, or is she set on that?

I think I've brainwashed her pretty successfully to apply early decision (which is binding) to Duke. Her "soft' qualifications, grades and extracurriculars are way better than mine (although I had better test scores) so realistically with current admission standards she would probably be an outside shot for the Ivies. She's realistically probably in the Northwestern/WashU/John Hopkins/Emory/Vanderbilt/Georgetown range, might get Duke/Cornell/Brown/Dartmouth on a good day, and maybe squeak like a Columbia/UPenn/UChicago if she got lucky. Objectively probably best to fall back on the legacy status and not take the risk.

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Trolling? It's just another level of elitism.

You don't get to be elitist when you go to a glorified hippie school; I bet your top fraternities/sororities even have minorities.

Pepe
15-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Duke is as good as any really, at least reputation wise.

mugbull
15-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but our women age well. Yours all turn into Dolly Parton

mugbull
15-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Duke is as good as any really, at least reputation wise.

Maybe it should be (for the soft sciences; not the hard ones), but it definitely isn't.

Pepe
15-06-2016, 08:40 PM
It is for stuff that matters (ie jobs.) Nobody gives a shit about rankings.

Bartholomert
15-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Maybe it should be (for the soft sciences; not the hard ones), but it definitely isn't.

Duke alums run Wall Street and consulting. Pussy liberals don't work out well in the real world believe it or not.

mugbull
15-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Duke runs Wall Street :D

randomlegend
16-06-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm so fed up of medicine at the moment, finding it harder and harder to convince myself it's what I want to do.

Obviously it's worse at the moment because of exams and the migraines make everything much harder than they need be, but I'm just constantly so stressed and tired. Never get to see my girlfriend either which sucks.

Looking forwards I can see that being a consultant in something I enjoy is somewhere I would like to get to, but the thought of another year at med school and foundation years...just don't think I can stick it.

To be honest, I'm just really unhappy and I don't want to be any more. Maybe if I'd not had to deal with all the health problems and shit it wouldn't be like this but I have and it is. I don't think I can cope much longer.

randomlegend
16-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Sorry to whinge.

ItalAussie
16-06-2016, 12:54 PM
You're welcome to vent here. I wish there was more we could do, but I think it's safe to say we're all definitely on your side, and wish you the best. :)

mugbull
16-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Is that the same girlfriend you've had since you were like 13? You might wanna consider ending that, i guarantee you that itself adds a lot of stress to your life and tbh you need to experience some years alone if you've been with someone for that long.

7om
16-06-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm doing an MBA. Narrowed it down to two Universities here.

Pepe
16-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Which ones?

Is the father in law paying? :eyemouth:

randomlegend
16-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Is that the same girlfriend you've had since you were like 13? You might wanna consider ending that, i guarantee you that itself adds a lot of stress to your life and tbh you need to experience some years alone if you've been with someone for that long.

I know everyone loves to assume that nobody can be with someone from when they are young and it work, but she's the one thing in my life that makes me happy and feels stable.

She has been and is incredible and I would never have come this far without her.

Pepe
16-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I would listen to mokbull, his advice is always sound.

mugbull
16-06-2016, 02:27 PM
I know everyone loves to assume that nobody can be with someone from when they are young and it work, but she's the one thing in my life that makes me happy and feels stable.

She has been and is incredible and I would never have come this far without her.

I'm not assuming anything, I'm sure the relationship is going fine, but having that sort of stability in your life for so long makes you a lot more risk-averse, which I believe greatly stymies personal development in the long run. Just a thought.

randomlegend
16-06-2016, 02:35 PM
I'll bare it in mind.

Bartholomert
16-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Mokbull is generally a dirty liberal and by default probably has totally misguided ideas about how to behave in relation to women, but here he is 100% correct. A girlfriend is a huge social crutch, which is great / supplements your psyche if you know how to exist without one, but potentially breeds crippling dependence if that's all you've ever known.

Lewis
16-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Did either of you actually read his post?

niko_cee
16-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Well, RL, if you stick at it for long enough, you can become a consultant and move over here (Guernsey). A friend I went to uni with was recently sort of head hunted by one of our consultants. He's only just becoming a NHS consultant (obs and gyne - I have no idea how abbreviate that) and has kids so he wasn't that interested, but he didn't realise the pay was something like 3 to 5 times more. The robbing bastards are onto a right good racket here. Probably even better if you are a GP. No commute and a beastly, if expensive, way of life to boot. Even direct flights to Norwich.

7om
16-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Which ones?

Is the father in law paying? :eyemouth:

:eyemouth:

Narrowed it down to Arizona and Northeastern because they don't require the GMAT and I cant be arsed to do it.

Foe
16-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Narrowed it down to Arizona and Northeastern because they don't require the GMAT and I cant be arsed to do it.

Arizona are wank at football but at least they play in a decent division. Arizona state are the same but have a better logo.

Spikey M
16-06-2016, 08:44 PM
They're right RL. You should 100% end the long term relationship that you are happy in.

Bartholomert
16-06-2016, 08:49 PM

What program? Those are both pretty mediocre to bad schools...I would be arsed to take the GMAT if I were you...

Spoonsky
16-06-2016, 09:00 PM
I visited Northeastern in March because it was one of my higher choices. I can't comment on doing an MBA but that's a pretty stark choice of lifestyles in Tucson vs Boston. Personally I'd opt for Boston and I think most British would too, but idk you really and maybe you're tired of the east coast. Tucson is a pretty cool city too for what it's worth.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Fuck Boston and everyone pretending that they're Irish.

Lewis
16-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Seconded.

Spikey M
16-06-2016, 09:13 PM
I went to Dublin and there was a Bostonian family in one of the pubs telling any fucker that would listen how Irish they were. The locals thought they were absolute cunts, it was all over their faces.

GS
16-06-2016, 09:17 PM
I refer to myself as "Irish" when outside the UK, and it's usually met with GAA banter or declarations of Irish ancestry.

It's because we're great.

Pepe
16-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Boston is a great city, I would go for that one. Never been to Arizona, mind.

Bartholomert
16-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Tuscon, Arizona has maybe the best hotness : low self-esteem ratio female population in the entire world.

I'm serious, it is fucking outrageous, only place close is maybe like Tier 3 state schools in the Southeast and there the girls are way dumber / religious / only into frat guys.

mugbull
17-06-2016, 12:46 AM
They're right RL. You should 100% end the long term relationship that you are happy in.

I'm not saying he has to do anything, but it's so easy to get lulled into a sense of complacency, ESPECIALLY when you're with the first person you've been with. At what point is it simply the fear of life without the other person keeping those two people together? That's not how a relationship should be.

Of course I don't know the specifics of RL's relationship, but I know so many people who are in love with their high school girlfriend and who live half-lives because they're so afraid of losing them. I don't know, I feel like life is about constant self-improvement, and unless you've had the life experiences of a 30 year old by the time you're 16, you're stunting your growth.

7om
17-06-2016, 01:02 AM
I'm doing it online, so the location of the campus means nothing to me.

I knew you'd pop in here to have a go, mert, and I've done my fair bit of research on the topic. Arizona and Northeastern's business schools are quite highly ranked nationally. I also shortlisted UNC but they require attendance at "online classes". That may sound fine on the face of it but when I'm in China one year from now, I don't want to be listening to lectures in the middle of the night.

The University of Liverpool also have a pretty good MBA but, well... they're scousers.

Bartholomert
17-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Finally got drunk enough to look at my grades...I did slightly above average. Looks like I'm still on track to get a good job woo, etc.

Also why do an MBA program somewhere shit, it's such a waste, why not make the effort to do something that actually adds value?

Pepe
17-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Nothing better for your growth than wanking yourself to sleep every night.

7om
17-06-2016, 01:21 AM
Finally got drunk enough to look at my grades...I did slightly above average. Looks like I'm still on track to get a good job woo, etc.

Also why do an MBA program somewhere shit, it's such a waste, why not make the effort to do something that actually adds value?

It's a combination of several factors.

A lot of the top ones require campus visits which I won't be able to do, or live classes which will kill me when I'm +12 hours from The US time zones. Both of my final choices seem to be quite highly ranked, though. It's not like I'm doing it above an Indian restaurant or something.

Pepe
17-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Are you planning a career move of sorts?

Bartholomert
17-06-2016, 01:25 AM
It's a combination of several factors.

A lot of the top ones require campus visits which I won't be able to do, or live classes which will kill me when I'm +12 hours from The US time zones. Both of my final choices seem to be quite highly ranked, though. It's not like I'm doing it above an Indian restaurant or something.

Why not take time off and actually go to school?