PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

mikem
26-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Which is why R’s probably won’t lose 1,000 seats like D’s did. However, it is a potentially bad group for R’s because of their geographic dispersion.

phonics
26-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Flake has been speaking for 15 minutes and the most substantive thing he's said is “I say to all of our colleagues: for this process to be a ...process, we must have open minds.”

mikem
26-09-2018, 05:43 PM
He wouldn’t have survived his primary here for a reason.

niko_cee
27-09-2018, 09:30 PM
It's depressing to watch this Kavanaugh business. It demeans the role. It's a good job the country itself manages to get by so remarkably well, because institutionally it appears to be fucked at every level nowadays.

mikem
27-09-2018, 09:38 PM
I just barely remember the Thomas one but that was also insane. The morning and afternoon hearings have been insane for totally different reasons. What is truly sad is the morning seemed like both left and right watched the same hearing. Afternoon is all partisan.

Lewis
27-09-2018, 09:47 PM
What do normal people think of this?

niko_cee
27-09-2018, 09:53 PM
The worst part is how thick the senators seem to be. This Blumenthal one is upping the ante on the div that went before him (who set a high bar).

mugbull
27-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Lindsey Graham, in full meltdown mode because the Democrats are finally willing to play the game the Republicans have been playing for 20 years, has been a highlight

phonics
27-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Getting a female prosecutor to cross examine the witness claiming to be a victim of sexual assault and then dismissing them two questions in when she addresses the accused perpetrator is a bad look for the GOP members of that committee and an even worse look for a judge looking for his second lifetime appointment.

https://i.imgur.com/I4vCdRR.png

Is the face of a man being challenged for the first time in his life at 53 years old.

mikem
27-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Normal Americans are smart and pay no mind outside of “Washington is the worst place in the country.” The tv news coverage will dictate a lot.

Women I personally known in their 30’s and 40’s were pissed and crying. We pretty much just accepted the office was shut down today. But that group of women has gotten so political this year it is hard to describe. They used to be interested and involved in politics, but local stuff like school boards. They have just completely moved into national activism.

The conservative men I know and can talk politics about while just kidding around calling each other baby killers were really quiet this morning and totally aggrieved this afternoon.

Pepe
27-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Women I personally known in their 30’s and 40’s were pissed and crying.

:D

mikem
27-09-2018, 10:22 PM
I don’t know people in their twenties anymore.

ItalAussie
28-09-2018, 09:44 AM
If you're going to be evil, at least be competently evil. A Supreme Court justice is such a huge deal, and it's clear that the Republicans didn't do due diligence in making sure their ultra-conservative nominee was impeccably crystal clear. They need to be tracking down school friends, colleagues, and anyone who might possibly have been in a situation who could have been aggrieved at some point. Nothing like this should ever catch them by surprise - especially so close to a tough midterm, meaning that time is limited.

I suspect that the Republicans never thought to ask anyone who wasn't in "their circle" as to whether there would be problems with the nomination. Which is crazy, because they're not going to be the ones with charges to make.

phonics
28-09-2018, 11:12 AM
They already knew and just ignored it. McConnell advised against picking him but Trump.

niko_cee
28-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Reading about him, he does seem to have built a career by being a bit of an ultra-conservative shill. That said, I don't know that you can seriously judge people based on their behaviour as a teenager/student, short of them having committed actual, proven crimes. I know it's seen as a massive issue, but does the 'balance of the court' really make as big a difference to things as the hysteria would suggest? I can't imagine them being able to overturn Roe v Wade or the Brown case, for example, without causing some sort of revolution. Or is it all the little things? Baing a bit more conservative and allowing states to steadily erode into things/being very 'liberal' with the extent of the President's powers etc?

I think the most disturbing thing I read was that he was high-school buddies with that Gorsuch chap they appointed last year. I don't know why but I didn't like the idea of that one bit

Boydy
28-09-2018, 12:34 PM
You've been coming across as very right wing in your past couple of days of posts, Niko. Hadn't had you down as that before.

ItalAussie
28-09-2018, 12:53 PM
I do wonder about Roe v Wade. Assume that Kavanaugh or equivalent gets in, the pressure will really be on them to act on it. The Republicans have been saying they want to overturn it but they need a majority solidly conservative Supreme Court for what, 20 years? And soon they'll have it.

But the other thing is that if they do overturn Roe, they'll risk the loss of millions of single-issue voters. And they know that - it's definitely the biggest single issue for a huge number of people, because when they're backed into a corner, they can always play what even more cynical Christians refer to as the abortion juke. "Sure, maybe Christianity does say we should be nice to poor people, and maybe we're handing the country over to corporations, and sure people are dying because they don't have healthcare, and maybe they'll cut healthcare to a dinosaur colouring book and a pocket calculator with a face drwan on it - but the other side literally kills babies". They'd have a real risk of losing the conservative catholic voters, who typically put abortion first, then a big gap, then support a litany of social welfare initiatives.

But if they do get the court, and then really obviously do nothing... the landscape might get complicated.

Lewis
28-09-2018, 02:13 PM
You've been coming across as very right wing in your past couple of days of posts, Niko. Hadn't had you down as that before.

I bet he's been to about a hundred dinner parties since June 2016 and hasn't once been able to say he supports Brexit. He's obviously going to vent on here.

niko_cee
28-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Mate, I've got 3 kids, I haven't been to a 'dinner party' for about 7 years. I'd tell anyone anyway, even though I didn't actually vote, so I could more safely lol from the sidelines at my wife/her family whilst not being directly accountable and, you know, sovereignty etc.

I've never voted for Labour, mind. Nor would I, in all likelihood.

Lewis
04-10-2018, 10:49 PM
'Da Nang Richard' is straight into the top five Trump nicknames.

Lewis
06-10-2018, 09:30 PM
I realise that they had to get him in, but there is something pretty interesting/great about Trump and that not caving in on this judge. I think pretty much every 'normal' politician would have shat the bed and pulled him, but what you gonna do mate out-lie and out-bully Donald J. Trump? You need a new approach.

phonics
06-10-2018, 10:20 PM
I realise that they had to get him in, but there is something pretty interesting/great about Trump and that not caving in on this judge. I think pretty much every 'normal' politician would have shat the bed and pulled him, but what you gonna do mate out-lie and out-bully Donald J. Trump? You need a new approach.

From reporting it seems it was the opposite, Trump caved and wanted a full FBI investigation which would have destroyed him. McGahn (the guy that chose Kavanaugh and all these other numpties that will make certain that China will overtake the US sooner rather than later) pulled through instead.

Pepe
06-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Hopefully we can move on to be enraged about something else now.

Lewis
06-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Yeah, because he probably didn't know how FBI checks worked. Once it will have been explained to him that he couldn't just give them forever to go through every aspect of his life, he then comes out to bat and starts slamming people.

phonics
06-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Yeah, because he probably didn't know how FBI checks worked. Once it will have been explained to him that he couldn't just give them forever to go through every aspect of his life, he then comes out to bat and starts slamming people.

That's giving Trump way too much credit.

If any other Republican had been elected, can you tell me a notable policy/personnel difference?

Pepe
06-10-2018, 10:48 PM
I have no idea whether Trump wanted to stick with him or not, but I do know that he will claim the e-victory regardless and ride the rage-wave all the way to the re-election.

phonics
06-10-2018, 10:51 PM
If Beto O'Lib beats Ted Cruz in Texas only for the democrats to lose New Jersey because they stuck with a corrupt pro-business asshole that even the corrupt pro-business people don't like, I will lol.

Lewis
06-10-2018, 10:57 PM
I think a 'moderate' Republican would have either shit it and pulled the nomination, or just hidden away and hoped it went through without tainting them. The Donald mate comes out the front door and starts baiting 'Da Nang Richard' calling the media Democrats.

phonics
06-10-2018, 11:25 PM
I think a 'moderate' Republican would have either shit it and pulled the nomination, or just hidden away and hoped it went through without tainting them. The Donald mate comes out the front door and starts baiting 'Da Nang Richard' calling the media Democrats.

No 'moderate' Republican would have got elected. The Republican party is just these nutters. Ted Cruz has claimed that O'Rourke will ban barbecue food and make ISIS-sympathiser education mandatory.

For a sign of what counts as moderate, Jeff Flake's (what a fucking slug, I actually hate him more than the likes of Steve King who is at least honest about his racism) sons gaming/twitter accounts got made public recently. Goes by the name of n-wordkilla41 (censorship is on my side not his) or something.

Boydy
06-10-2018, 11:33 PM
Did you see that video of Beto O'Rourke that Cruz shared on Twitter? It was him talking to a congregation at some black church and saying that police killings of unarmed black men have to stop and that he supported the 'Take a Knee' protests and Cruz seemed to think the video made O'Rourke look bad. It was just baffling.

phonics
06-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Did you see that video of Beto O'Rourke that Cruz shared on Twitter? It was him talking to a congregation at some black church and saying that police killings of unarmed black men have to stop and that he supported the 'Take a Knee' protests and Cruz seemed to think the video made O'Rourke look bad. It was just baffling.

It had black people applauding him. Preventing black people from being happy is the only part of the GOP platform that the base actually likes. You'll note they're actively avoiding talking about their massive tax cut that they said was incredibly popular, weird that.

mugbull
06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
O'Rourke is a proper politician to get behind. He might be a bit too Obama on the pragmatist-idealist spectrum, but he's a hard fucking worker

phonics
06-10-2018, 11:50 PM
O'Rourke is a proper politician to get behind. He might be a bit too Obama on the pragmatist-idealist spectrum, but he's a hard fucking worker

I hate this push to get him to run for the big boy job if he wins. Motherfuckers, you will likely not win Texas again for a decade, do not remove the only way you'll have that senate vote.

But yeah on a policy level he's a shitlib who will try to be bipartisan because he somehow hasn't realised the game is rigged.

How you spend 6 months turning the ACA into a giant subsidy for the insurance industry to get Republican votes, have them vote unanimously against it and send most of it to be challenged by the Supreme Court and STILL try to compromise with these lizards is beyond me.

mugbull
06-10-2018, 11:56 PM
The reason why is there still isn't anybody on the Democratic ticket who could win in 2020. O'Rourke maybe could, but his would be a totally feckless presidency if he went in that early.

phonics
06-10-2018, 11:58 PM
The reason why is there still isn't anybody on the Democratic ticket who could win in 2020. O'Rourke maybe could, but his would be a totally feckless presidency if he went in that early.

Trump won by 50k across 3 states because of a terrible democratic turnout for a bad candidate. They run any of Warren/Gilibrand/Harris/Bernie and it'll be fine. I even think Biden could win but it'd be touch and go. The scary part is I seriously think if anyone who preaches what they should (Medicare 4 All, Corporate Gains back to 30% etc.) will get an independent challenge from Michael Bloomberg which might be just enough to split the vote for Trump.

mugbull
07-10-2018, 12:02 AM
Of those 4, only Harris would run, and she's probably the best candidate they have. But I'm not sure the increased Dem turnout wouldn't be offset by increased Republican turnout.

mugbull
07-10-2018, 12:03 AM
Is Bloomberg trying to run independent? Haven't heard anything there

phonics
07-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Of those 4, only Harris would run, and she's probably the best candidate they have. But I'm not sure the increased Dem turnout wouldn't be offset by increased Republican turnout.

There isn't going to be increased Republican turnout. Their core vote is old people who already vote. Trump got the same as Mitt Romney despite the voting population increasing by 15 million people.

Is Bloomberg trying to run independent? Haven't heard anything there

He keeps dropping hints about 'If the Democrats move too far left', the mans a rampant egomaniac and he has enough money to make the kind of grifter consultant base spend a lot of time convincing him he should for a paycheck.

mugbull
07-10-2018, 12:16 AM
I don't think so, the foregone conclusion aspect of 2016 (obligatory lol) meant that all sorts of people affiliated with either party stayed home. Trump's going to lose the popular vote regardless, but who's to say Wisconsin / Michigan / Pennsylvania haven't gotten more polarized since the last election?

When I talk to people I usually take your point of view, that I can't see how Trump wins the next election, but I guarantee that the Democratic party is fucking quaking it their boots about choosing the right candidate and that's only going to hurt their chances. They should coalesce around someone as soon as possible

Lewis
07-10-2018, 08:34 AM
He'll win the next election because growth is high (unless that bubble bursts) and the opposition won't be able to stop themselves looking like mentals.

John Arne
08-10-2018, 01:19 PM
He'll win the next election because growth is high (unless that bubble bursts) and the opposition won't be able to stop themselves looking like mentals.

This. The left are so far up their own arse nowadays, they lose the election regardless of what Trump does.

phonics
08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Ah yes the people turning up to Trump rally's wearing Q shirts because they believe *checks notes* that Donald Trump is working with Robert Mueller to secretly arrest Hollywood paedo's... Those people are normal.

Incredibly normal.

Lewis
08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
I am enjoying people railing against small states having the same voting power as larger ones without being able to connect the dots towards less federal government.

phonics
08-10-2018, 03:16 PM
The House was supposed to increase with population but they froze it in 1910 for some reason I'm not sure of because I didn't take a class in American Civics.

phonics
08-10-2018, 04:39 PM
WSJ have an op-ed out claiming tax dodging is okay because ‘all rich people do it’. Would love to see this type of thinking applied to other laws.

niko_cee
08-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Without seeing the article, doesn't that depend on what you are defining as 'tax dodging'?

Alan Shearer The 2nd
08-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Trump winning the next election will be worth it for the meltdown alone which will eclipse the first.

mugbull
08-10-2018, 05:36 PM
This. The left are so far up their own arse nowadays, they lose the election regardless of what Trump does.

Come again?

Shindig
08-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Personality politics, lads. There's no bigger personality than Don.

phonics
08-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Without seeing the article, doesn't that depend on what you are defining as 'tax dodging'?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dogs-bite-men-and-trumps-duck-taxes-1538780049

Unfortunately, the most interesting revelation is one the Times buries—the astonishing degree to which father Fred Trump patiently financed and strategically connived in the creation of what the paper calls the “Donald Trump myth.” Think Joseph P. Kennedy. There’s even a parallel in the displacement of firstborn son Fred Jr. from his original slot as heir apparent.

In one way excruciatingly detailed by the Times, however, Mr. Trump and his sire are nothing new under the sun. Nobody in their right mind from the compulsive accumulator class pays the punitive federal estate tax. From an early age, such people make sure their lifetime achievements are not sucked up and splattered away in 15 seconds of federal spending. Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg, all apparently in the pink of health, have been working for years to shield their assets from the taxman. Sam Walton, the saintly founder of Walmart (http://quotes.wsj.com/WMT) , in his autobiography advised: “The best way to reduce paying estate taxes is to give your assets away before they appreciate.”

Because politicians find it useful to appease both the envious and the wealthy, the IRS code features both an estate tax and ways to avoid it. A loophole the Times accuses the Trumps of using is a so-called grantor-retained annuity trust, described as “one of the tax code’s great gifts to the ultrawealthy.” Unsurprisingly, it also happens to be a favorite (https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/71691/000091066202000055/sc13da8.txt?mod=article_inline) of the Sulzberger family, which owns the New York Times.

Show me a wealthy entrepreneur whose family paid the death tax of 55% (now 40%) and I will show you an entrepreneur who died unexpectedly. Or who, like Miami Dolphins owner Joe Robbie, watched from beyond the grave as his careful arrangements were upended by his squabbling heirs.

He goes on to say, journalists get annoyed about this but I bet they have had a speeding ticket or an illegal fishing license at one point so all is fair.

Also, let’s note an important underpinning of many such newspaper investigations. Journalists are as unlikely as the next person to adhere rigidly to the law in their driving habits, their use of pharmaceuticals, their failure to procure a valid fishing license.

(As the piece notes, Donald Trump 'earned' at least $413 million from this tax dodge.)

Here is the full times piece: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

Lewis
08-10-2018, 08:12 PM
I successfully dodged a shoplifting charge today by not stealing anything.

niko_cee
08-10-2018, 08:28 PM
'Dodging' inheritance tax really is scraping the barrel.

It shouldn't really exist. Certainly on a practical level, possibly on a theoretical one too.

Boydy
08-10-2018, 08:33 PM
It should be 100%.

niko_cee
08-10-2018, 08:35 PM
As should income tax for those earning more than you, etc.

Lewis
08-10-2018, 08:38 PM
There shouldn't even be wages to tax. Everyone should just be given rice and clothes by the state, and we could all live in barracks.

phonics
08-10-2018, 08:48 PM
How did working in the private sector go for you Lewis? Did you find that your superior intellect and skill got you a foot in the door and ahead once you arrived in it as meritocracy dictates?

Jimmy Floyd
08-10-2018, 08:58 PM
It should be 100%.

They'd just give it away then, so the only way to get the dosh off them would be state assassinations.

Lewis
08-10-2018, 09:02 PM
I don't think you even know what point you're making there.

mugbull
08-10-2018, 09:03 PM
All the Kochs and such avoided paying top tax on their inheritances by "donating" the money to various organizations that were either already shells for their wealth or eventually became their playthings. Estate tax is probably a better avenue of attack and really needs to be far higher.

phonics
08-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Estate tax is too easy to dodge because it only comes into effect when you've had half a century and more resources than the government to work out how to never pay that money. The answer is stopping people from concentrating that wealth in the first place.

The situation has got so out of hand I'm this close to suggesting that the public sector should just get a vig on everything that happens in the country like they're Tony fucking Soprano. Tax is your protection racket and then a vig to stop us from asking how/why you purchased that third overpriced flat in Canary Wharf.

It's why the Apple/Ireland thing annoys me so much, lads the EU fined them 15 billion (which is probably their incredibly conservative figure), surely you can negotiate yourself to get like 5 to pay for some housing without pissing anyone off.

John Arne
09-10-2018, 03:41 AM
Come again?

It's pretty fucking simple. The left are getting more and more mental by the day.

Queenslander
09-10-2018, 05:25 AM
It's pretty fucking simple. The left are getting more and more mental by the day.

Pretty sure both extreme sides are to be fair.

mugbull
09-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Not sure what examples you want to give, but whatever you can provide pales in comparison to the Trumpies

John Arne
09-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Pretty sure both extreme sides are to be fair.

For sure, I wouldn't disagree with that.

ItalAussie
09-10-2018, 10:52 PM
I really think the current age of extreme political polarisation properly kicked off with the Tea Party/Birth Certificate stuff, and that was transparently-veiled racism of the highest order.

Obviously things don't come out of nowhere, but that really ramped it up to a new level.

Jimmy Floyd
09-10-2018, 11:04 PM
American politics 1776 to now is a tale of an ongoing struggle between white supremacists and the rest, this is just the latest iteration. The whole Republican/Democrat thing, or left/right, are just red herrings.

ItalAussie
09-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Agreed.

What we're seeing now is the same animosity that's always been there, with the post-war layers of civil pretence being stripped away.

mugbull
09-10-2018, 11:17 PM
They're only red herrings until one of them absorbs that entire demographic

ItalAussie
10-10-2018, 12:17 AM
Given the US political splits, right/left are pretty much just anti/pro-abortion. They'll argue, rationalize, and whinge about other elements of the platforms, but as long as that's there, there's no way the major bloc of either party will ever fail to toe the line at the polls.

mugbull
10-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Sure, but plenty of other issues are just as solidly partisan as that one. You get rid of that abortion distinction and you’ll still have what you have now. And it’s less the issues that perpetuate the divide and more the nature of the people that affiliate with either group

ItalAussie
11-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Sure, but plenty of other issues are just as solidly partisan as that one. You get rid of that abortion distinction and you’ll still have what you have now. And it’s less the issues that perpetuate the divide and more the nature of the people that affiliate with either group

I've seen enough arguments where people are willing to question some part of their party's dogma before "but they kill babies" comes along.

The problem is that for a huge portion of the US, it is an issue whose moral implication dwarves everything else. "Unborn holocaust", etc. The language and issue has become so inflamed that for many - especially the religious - it is the single driving issue at the polls.

Lewis
11-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Jesus. Imagine an abortion-free America. It would be like South Africa. Anyway...

Shindig
12-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Christ, he's so autistic.

Spikey M
12-10-2018, 08:21 AM
I’m not sure who you’re talking about, but you’re right anyway.

phonics
12-10-2018, 01:16 PM
lol at the US having to ground a trillion dollars worth of F35's because they can't be trusted not to fucking crash. I'd say they should take the DoD's engineers and have them work on infrastructre instead but they'd probably end up blowing a crater into Hoover Dam or some shit.

Lol just found out the UK bought four of these pieces of shit 3 months ago for at 70 million a pop. Money well spent.

Lewis
12-10-2018, 02:12 PM
The trillion dollar figure includes about fifty years worth of running costs. But yes they should have gone with the General Electric/Rolls-Royce engine.

Pepe
12-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Should have stuck to F4Us.

mugbull
30-10-2018, 07:33 PM
San Francisco, the yuppiest most rent-controlled city on the planet, is considering a California ballot measure to repeal any sort of statewide limitations on rent-control and allow local jurisdictions to expand it at will. Something like 65% of residents seem keen on a Yes vote. Didn’t know that many people enjoy rampant homelessness.

niko_cee
30-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Aren't rents in San Francisco among the highest on the planet anyway?

And isn't the thing you are describing, without knowing anything other than the way you have described it, something which would increase 'rent-control' (which I assume to be capped cost/under market value business)?

Disco
30-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I fail to see how there could be more homeless people in San Francisco.

mugbull
30-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Rent control doesn't increase the availability affordable housing. Who would develop? You're never gonna reap the benefits either as a developer or as a landlord. Existing tenants might like it in the near term, but years down the road you'll have no movement in and out of rent-controlled housing, no improvements being made on existing housing, and people living in non-rent-controlled areas paying exorbitant sums. What SF needs is changes in zoning ordinances, or - more importantly - money from the state of California for infrastructure projjects. But no, not gonna happen, so let's appease the dumbos for the next couple years with more rent control.

Lewis
30-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Doesn't it also have the most restrictive planning regulations imaginable? NIMBYs mate.

Pepe
30-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Who would develop?

The state, mate. The state.

Pepe
30-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Doesn't it also have the most restrictive planning regulations imaginable? NIMBYs mate.

They can fuck off. Unless they are fighting gentrification, then they're the best people around.

Lewis
30-10-2018, 09:33 PM
The anti-gentrification crowd are the biggest sub-group of tossers in the entire NIMBY crew. Even more so than the rural wankers. They're like those idiots who complain that Chelsea home games are getting too expensive ten years after they replaced some poor cunt who had been going for thirty years.

Shindig
30-10-2018, 10:10 PM
San Francisco has a lot of rural wankers. And the ones that aren't wankers don't want people shifting in because they're cooking meth.

Bernanke
04-11-2018, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ueDxWg3Ec

Lyin' Ted!

mugbull
07-11-2018, 03:13 AM
Cruz won, but it was super close. Can’t wait for him to perish

phonics
07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
The only consistent thread I can see across all the elections is, if you've been found guilty of a crime or are currently being indited for one, you win.

Lewis
07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Hasn't President Donald J. Trump done most of his stuff - or at least his DIVISIVE stuff, like the 'Muslim ban' and the tariff bullshit - with executive orders anyway? Alright, no more tax giveaways; but they presumably went large on it first time round because they saw this coming. They should run that judge confirmation again just for a laugh.

mikem
07-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Well, at least everything has reverted to the mean?

Pepe
07-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Tronald can keep taking credit for anything good that might happen in the country, but now he can also blame congress for anything that goes wrong. So much winning. :cool:

Magic
08-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Ted Cruz might just be the most dis-likeable human being on earth. What a fucking revolting fat pig.

Also lol at the @WHITEHOUSE Twitter uploading and posting a doctored video of the Acosta incident.

Lewis
08-11-2018, 07:47 PM
'Your campaign had an ad showing migrants climbing over walls and so on...'
'They weren't actors.'
*entire world marks out*

mugbull
09-11-2018, 04:48 AM
Florida is such a horrible state

phonics
09-11-2018, 09:22 AM
https://i.redd.it/3274bd8ue6x11.jpg

lol

John
10-11-2018, 04:25 PM

That's fun.

ItalAussie
10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
And the stuff in France, now.

He's just a stupid shambles.

Kikó
11-11-2018, 10:06 AM
How many more years until he's gone?

Lewis
11-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Six.

Byron
11-11-2018, 10:42 AM
You misspelled two.

Queenslander
11-11-2018, 11:38 AM
He is working the rooms like a 2 term President.

John
13-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Tronald binning the Veterans Day thing at Arlington seems like it might be the one bit of shit that actually sticks to him.

bruhnaldo
13-11-2018, 03:23 PM
I thinkhe'll be hard to overcome in 2020. Maybe Biden runs and tries to bring Michelle as a VP (though she's telling everyone who will listen she absolutely hates politics and that's Barack's bag by way of promoting her new autobiography).

They cheated Bernie out of the nomination last time but maybe they throw him a bone since he didn't make a big deal out of it and try to rig the nomination for him.

That Beto O'Rourke fella out of Texas has been getting a lot of love though.

Idk. Anyone outside of those 3 has no shot IMHO.

Bernanke
13-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Bernie has little chance when he's not "not Hillary" anymore.

Beto/Harris or Harris/Beto would be my bet right now. Biden is gonna get hit with a lot of "creepy old man" stuff after all the me too-crap.

Pepe
13-11-2018, 03:49 PM
"Beto" (:harold:) is the flavor of the month and there is no way he's anywhere near. Warren shot herself on the foot with the whole DNA testing nonsense. Harris just looks like a dark Clinton. Bottom line is: they're fucked. They should just run one of those lol lads they had in there during the first debate and start preparing for 2024.

Disco
13-11-2018, 03:58 PM
I wonder what would happen if they decided not to run anyone at all this time.

Jimmy Floyd
13-11-2018, 04:15 PM
They could run Uncle Sam himself, with Babe Ruth as running mate, and Trump could probably still lie his way back in.

Their best chance is probably a Bernie type. People are looking for extremes now.

phonics
13-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Anyone thinking Beto would even have a chance is a moron.

It'll be whoever wins the women among Gillibrand/Warren/Harris. Maybe Sherrod Brown but I highly doubt it. Bernie won't make it through a crowded primary with 90% of the field nicking the policies that he made look even slightly politically possible.

Lewis
13-11-2018, 05:42 PM
I liked that thing on why Hillary Clinton should run again, but this time with a load of trendy new left-wing policies.

Question one: Where have these policy preferences been for the past x years?
*last remaining speck of credibility evaporates*

mugbull
13-11-2018, 05:54 PM
All I’ve read, even from the CNN funhouse, says she absolutely should not run. Obviously.

Bernanke
13-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Anyone thinking Beto would even have a chance is a moron.

Why is that?

phonics
13-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Why is that?

The field has way too many people and the right of him thinks he’s a socialist and everyone to the left thinks he’s a milquetoast lib.

Disco
13-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Their best chance is Trump getting bored and finding a way out of having to do another term that sufficiently massages his ego. If not they're left with selecting some schlub who they know can't win and just going through the motions for another four years until he has to go away. Do they have a Michael Howard in America?

phonics
13-11-2018, 08:09 PM
I've never understood this line of thought. Why would a rampant narcissist get bored of everyone having to pay attention to him all the time?

bruhnaldo
13-11-2018, 09:10 PM
"Beto" (:harold:) is the flavor of the month and there is no way he's anywhere near.

It seemed pretty odd to me as well (not just his handy nickname) since he kinda came out of nowhere (for me in Florida anyways) but I've seen a lot of random noise online and even from more left-leaning friends about him.

Lewis
13-11-2018, 09:18 PM
You could have run a nonce against Ted Cruz and he would still have attracted millions of dollars and fawning press coverage, so it's probably not worth reading much into him.

phonics
13-11-2018, 09:24 PM
You could have run a nonce against Ted Cruz and he would still have attracted millions of dollars and fawning press coverage, so it's probably not worth reading much into him.

Your comment got me intrigued. Roy Moore got literally the same percent of the vote in Alabama as 'Beto' got. Both notched up 48.3% making Ted Cruz in Texas as loathesome as (D) in Alabama.

Lewis
13-11-2018, 09:36 PM
It's more of a national effort with Lyin' Ted, but yeah something like that.

Bernanke
13-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Speaking of Lyin' Ted, this might be Triumph's greatest moment starting at 9.30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ8VV6TqeXI

phonics
15-11-2018, 09:32 AM
“The Republicans don’t win and that’s because of potentially illegal votes,” Trump told the conservative Daily Caller website.

“When people get in line that have absolutely no right to vote and they go around in circles. Sometimes they go to their car, put on a different hat, put on a different shirt, come in and vote again. Nobody takes anything. It’s really a disgrace what’s going on.”

He also called for new national ID laws with a bizarre assertion: “If you buy a box of cereal – you have a voter ID.”

He has full on dementia.

bruhnaldo
15-11-2018, 02:49 PM
holy shit i thought that was a joke he's really said the cereal thing lol

ItalAussie
15-11-2018, 11:43 PM
This is what happens when a stupid person goes their whole life with nobody telling them that they're stupid.

mugbull
15-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Doubt he's ever bought his own groceries

phonics
27-11-2018, 11:46 PM

phonics
30-11-2018, 12:26 PM
All time GOAT tweet from the President this morning.

https://i.imgur.com/32rlA5r.png

mugbull
30-11-2018, 07:16 PM
The "dirt" they've dropped about Trump's building plan negotiations in 2016 so far has been a shitload of nothing. Who cares. He had plans to build a Trump tower in Moscow that continued into his candidacy, that's about it and it's gotten people so riled up.

Maybe they're getting closer to the pee tapes, but unlikely

phonics
30-11-2018, 07:19 PM
The "dirt" they've dropped about Trump's building plan negotiations in 2016 so far has been a shitload of nothing. Who cares. He had plans to build a Trump tower in Moscow that continued into his candidacy, that's about it and it's gotten people so riled up.

Maybe they're getting closer to the pee tapes, but unlikely

Watching the point fly by some people is just so odd.

Jimmy Carter was forced to sell his peanut farm (valued at $1 million) in case it unduly affected his decision making. Now you get a guy in who's selling point is "I know how corrupt these people are because I've been bribing them for years" and upon winning goes to a fancy restaurant to tell his billionaire donors "I'm going to make you very rich" and say what's the big deal.

mugbull
30-11-2018, 07:23 PM
I mean the tweet was funny

Bernanke
04-12-2018, 06:50 PM
So Donald signed the NAFTA-agreement in the wrong place.

phonics
21-12-2018, 07:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Du9klXDVAAAYryA.jpg

How did I not think of this scam. GoFundMe doesn't work like kickstarter, you get the money whether you hit the goal or not.

mikem
21-12-2018, 08:05 PM
The DNC just dropped the 2020 debate schedule. They’re going to have 12 (seriously??) debates and you get on the main stage either through meeting a polling or grassroots fundraising threshold.

Kind of surprising how afraid of Beto the Bernie camp is. It’s three weeks now of hit stories on campaign contributions from oil and gas employees dressed up as corporate contributions and how his record isn’t as progressive as Bernie’s.

phonics
21-12-2018, 08:13 PM
I love how a journalist searching a website for public information on his campaign contributions and voting record is the Bernie Camp putting out hit attacks.

bruhnaldo
21-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Saw something about Biden-Beto. I feel like Biden would've won the first go around but I'm not convinced he could now.

phonics
21-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Biden-Beto might just be the least inspiring ticket around. Two white-saviors that would lose because the racists love the other guy and the ethnics don't trust them.

Beto's latino turnout was pretty bad considering his position, no?

bruhnaldo
21-12-2018, 08:38 PM
From a quick google it says he had 64% of the Latino vote, 11% higher than the Demo candidate for Governor who garnered 53%.

I don't know what that % looks like over past candidates though.

mikem
21-12-2018, 08:52 PM
To win a Democratic primary you have to win two of three groups: white liberals, white women, and people of color (really, just African American women statistically). Nothing else matters.

phonics
21-12-2018, 08:55 PM
To win a Democratic primary you have to win two of three groups: white liberals, white women, and people of color (really, just African American women statistically). Nothing else matters.

You can't just keep electing people because women want to bang them, which seems Beto's only strength on a national level.

mikem
21-12-2018, 09:01 PM
I’m merely talking about the demographic make up of the base. It isn’t white men. The university liberal crowd is only a third. You can’t win in the south if you can’t appeal to a 30-40 year old African American woman.

Women will vote for Warren or Harris or Hillary and they don’t want to fuck them. Doug Jones can do that with African American women in Alabama and nobody wants to fuck him.

Beto’s popularity among Democrats isn’t simply because he is young and handsome and knows how to do an entire marketing campaign in Texas around Whataburger. He is a genuinely good retail politician that can pull of this sort of semi-corny improvised moment that D’s go all warm and fuzzy:

youtube.com/watch?v=lAw9eXXVwfM

Pepe
21-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Beto's latino turnout was pretty bad considering his position, no?

He beat a Mexican American woman in the primary. The $10,000 she raised for campaigning were no match for Beto's brilliance (and $9 million.)

phonics
21-12-2018, 09:21 PM
I’m merely talking about the demographic make up of the base. It isn’t white men. The university liberal crowd is only a third. You can’t win in the south if you can’t appeal to a 30-40 year old African American woman.

Women will vote for Warren or Harris or Hillary and they don’t want to fuck them.

Yeah that was a bit of a dig at Obama being milquetoast. Beto should run for Corker or Cornyns senate seat not president. Not yet.

I'd like Warren/Gillum in a perfect world.

bruhnaldo
21-12-2018, 09:22 PM

I don't understand the Warren thing. Seems like suicide for the party but maybe I'm missing it.

Lewis
21-12-2018, 09:23 PM
The Donald has been bang on it on Twitter these past couple of days. Mate, if you still aren't finding it all hilarious then there is something wrong with you.

Pepe
21-12-2018, 09:24 PM
I would definitely enjoy months of Republicans lolling at her DNA results.

Lewis
21-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Good to see everyone bealing about America getting out of a warzone as well.

phonics
21-12-2018, 09:28 PM
I don't understand the Warren thing. Seems like suicide for the party but maybe I'm missing it.

Search Warren Wells Fargo.

Pepe
21-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Don't forget criminal justice reform.

phonics
21-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Don't forget criminal justice reform.

Getting Kim Kardasshian to present that thing to him was the smartest thing the people in charge of that ever did. Genius.

mikem
21-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Is the getting out of a war zone the same as when he got North Korea to denuclearize? Or like when we built the wall? Or like the transgender ban in the military? Or like the rising stock market? Or like the repeal of Obamacare? Or like the defeat of ISIS that lasted until his next tweet?

Since the next Sec Def is likely to be atom Cotton, I’ll believe we are not going into war when the term is up. He just claims we do shit. When he follows up, I’ll pay attention.

bruhnaldo
21-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Kim :drool:

I'm reading about this Warren-Wells Fargo stuff as well. Good on her for taking those crooks on, I'll give her that.

Lewis
21-12-2018, 09:55 PM
I know that, but the way the media twats are carrying on you would think James Mattis was the only thing standing in the way of you becoming an absolute monarchy.

bruhnaldo
21-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Mattis resigning had me SHOOK yesterday I won't lie.

Mad Dog felt like the only guy in the whole cabinet with any sense.

mikem
21-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Oh it is nonsense. And since your coverage of us is filtered through the Washington blob is may be worse than ours.

Having been deployed to protect the Kurds after Desert Storm the shit with the Kurds is one of the few things that actually pisses me off about him. Mostly, I just get annoyed that not a single member of the US media can begin a question with “how?”

phonics
21-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Oh it is nonsense. And since your coverage of us is filtered through the Washington blob is may be worse than ours.

Having been deployed to protect the Kurds after Desert Storm the shit with the Kurds is one of the few things that actually pisses me off about him. Mostly, I just get annoyed that not a single member of the US media can begin a question with “how?”

For all the protections that the US press corps has enshrined to them, they aren't half absolute dog shit at holding anyone to account. Our softball interviews would be considered a grilling in comparison.

Lewis
21-12-2018, 10:31 PM

:lol:

Good luck Pepe you mug.

phonics
21-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I can't believe that Trump is so shit at his job I'm annoyed at him removing troops from Syria.

Pepe
21-12-2018, 10:47 PM
I'll just sneak in while the government is shut down.

Shindig
21-12-2018, 11:10 PM
1. Hire Mexican labour to build it.
2. Incorporate doors into the design so the Mexican workforce can paint both sides.
3. Take forever to build it.
4. Profit ... and friendship.

mikem
22-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Yeah that was a bit of a dig at Obama being milquetoast. Beto should run for Corker or Cornyns senate seat not president. Not yet.

I don’t really care who the nominee is but it would be horrible if we had another president who lost a senate race prior to running for president. That last one we had who lost two in a row without ever winning one? Terrible. What was his name? Liked the theater .... Abe something. Can’t remember, they never made a mark on the place.

Bernanke
28-12-2018, 02:46 AM
The Mueller investigation is now in possession of a nude selfie which is a threat to US national security.

Mazuuurk
08-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Came across this article which is pretty good:

https://narativ.org/2019/01/02/salvator-mundi-art-of-the-deal-the-lost-davinci/?fbclid=IwAR1LYL2k9B2kfSJpf3RkCZqsO1DQyZKki2hpdnJw 0oVuiB_eYMRRTx5sK5c

As usual with American News articles, there's no way of verifying any authenticity, but still to me it seems legit.

It's a little harrowing all of it really. Makings of some Thriller blockbusters if I ever saw one (maybe that's The Don's end game at the end of the day!).

Bernanke
16-01-2019, 10:17 AM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/D5RunlW8Suguz4TsYWUkW2DFgIQ=/0x0:631x323/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:631x323):format(webp):no_upscale ()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13691651/1.jpg

(I paid)

John
16-01-2019, 10:35 AM
There's a lot going on there. 'Hamberders' is quality.

The picture of him leering over the fast food buffet is great.

Disco
16-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Quite apart from somehow bragging about his country not working, they must have been stone cold.

Byron
16-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Even better when you consider that they had candles lit as if it was a 5 course meal.

Jimmy Floyd
16-01-2019, 12:24 PM
It's done a great service in exposing the fast food snobs of the world.

Spikey M
16-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Quite apart from somehow bragging about his country not working, they must have been stone cold.

There's a fair bit of hot air on that room.

bruhnaldo
16-01-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm gonna need the title edited to reflect our country's new and proper spelling of "Hamberders" thanks.

Lewis
16-01-2019, 04:25 PM
The picture of him leering over the fast food buffet is great.

It has to be up there with the great American images.

Pepe
16-01-2019, 04:26 PM
You will never find an image more representative of the country.

Shindig
16-01-2019, 07:39 PM
God, there's like 15 of them. All with slightly different facial expressions and arms outstretched. It's like he wants to fuck it all.

Henry
17-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Pelosi just threatened Trump's ability to make his State of the Union speech due to the shutdown, which is his largest TV opportunity of the year. Smart move.

Pepe
17-01-2019, 12:15 PM
He'll just live-Tweet it.

Henry
17-01-2019, 12:27 PM
He'll just live-Tweet it.

It has to be before Congress.

Pepe
17-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Surely they have laptops.

Spikey M
17-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Aren’t most of them about 104?

Lewis
17-01-2019, 03:05 PM
https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5c3e10b2f92c694343cc71b9/4:3/w_960,c_limit/Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

:lol:

Lewis
17-01-2019, 03:06 PM
lol at all the articles/wank about it. I bet the football lads loved it.

Jimmy Floyd
17-01-2019, 03:10 PM
I didn't know there were that many people in the world who liked Filet O'Fish, let alone that rugby football fifteen.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Vegetarians aren't a fan of hamberders.

Yevrah
17-01-2019, 07:38 PM
I've been on a news blackout due to work for the last few days, what's the significance of that Trump photo/why is he surrounded by fast food?

Shindig
17-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Due to the shutdown, they couldn't get proper catering. This was Trump's alternative.

Mazuuurk
17-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Vegetarians aren't a fan of hamberders.

They aren't fans of Filet-o-Fish either.

Kikó
17-01-2019, 08:32 PM
(he paid)

Jimmy Floyd
17-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Only just noticed (I think) Abe Lincoln behind him thinking about the ethics of doing a runner.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-01-2019, 09:37 PM
They aren't fans of Filet-o-Fish either.

Most vegetarians are pescetarians anyway, simmer down sweetheart.

John
17-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Most? Don't talk shite.

Sir Andy Mahowry
17-01-2019, 10:15 PM
You're slipping John, took you long enough.

Spikey M
18-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Zero vegetarians are pescatarians. Pescatarians are though.

phonics
18-01-2019, 02:00 PM
This discussion...

https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Scott-Walker-Venn-diagram-e1544917045334-1024x512.png

John
20-01-2019, 12:56 AM
https://splinternews.com/video/3626332?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Splinter&jwsource=cl

Obviously a very sad situation for old mate with the drum, but the MAGA idiots chanting 'Build the Wall' at a Native American is just great.

Pepe
20-01-2019, 02:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npX801xLSFY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxUrUStXgAE0o3U.jpg

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Screen-Shot-2019-01-20-at-10.28.39-AM.png

Lewis
20-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Its hard not to think the FAKE NEWS narrative is onto something when childish shite like that - however it started - makes the BBC website whilst nobody wants to discuss the anti-Semitism over at the Ladies Parade. Shite by omission, if you will.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-01-2019, 03:07 PM
The smug American teen prick is such a Mert wannabe.

Lewis
20-01-2019, 03:09 PM
We're all Mert wannabes.

Pepe
20-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Its hard not to think the FAKE NEWS narrative is onto something when childish shite like that - however it started - makes the BBC website whilst nobody wants to discuss the anti-Semitism over at the Ladies Parade. Shite by omission, if you will.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxRqDy-XQAEadqV.jpg:large

Lewis
20-01-2019, 03:19 PM
That looks like a gay Krang.

Mazuuurk
21-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Most vegetarians are pescetarians anyway, simmer down sweetheart.

Not to go all Pavel here, but if they are vegetarians they are vegetarians, and they don't eat fish. If they are pescatarians, they do eat fish.

There are a lot of people who say they are one thing but are in fact another, of course. But you have some experience in that domain I reckon.

Disco
21-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Burn.

bruhnaldo
21-01-2019, 05:02 PM
That was a long and winding road to get to a "you got duped by a random cam girl" joke but I certainly enjoyed the scenic tour nonetheless.

ItalAussie
25-01-2019, 10:55 PM
It's interesting to see how Trump functions (or fails to do so) when the opposition actually has a modicum of leverage.

He has no idea how to deal with it. Also, if the Democrats had a marketing bone in their body, they'd have called the closedown "the Trump Tantrum" at every opportunity.

mugbull
25-01-2019, 11:52 PM
But wasn't the "agreement" they just reached that he'd reopen for 3 weeks, they'd do some faux posturing on the wall, and assuming that no further deal is reached, he'd invoke the emergency clause and get his money anyway? This seems like a way for him to get the wall he wants while appearing somewhat conciliatory

Lewis
25-01-2019, 11:59 PM
Using that emergency procedure seems like it would set the dumbest and most counter-productive precedent imaginable. Which I suppose means he will do it.

phonics
26-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Looking forward to it. Can’t wait for the democrats to declare healthcare and climate change a national emergency.

Queenslander
26-01-2019, 12:32 AM
And gun violence.

Pepe
26-01-2019, 02:08 AM
And trans rights.

ItalAussie
26-01-2019, 08:09 AM
The Democrats should hire a company to do a proper financial analysis of "The Wall", and spell out exactly what it would cost, both initially and in ongoing costs.

Bring up some numbers, to show how ludicrous the amount will be.

niko_cee
26-01-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm not really sure people are swayable on the issue, and I'm doubly not sure the way to try would be financial analysis or economic forecasting, for various reasons, some of them legit.

Shindig
26-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Even with the finances, there's a counter the Republicans can do about immigration, potential impact on crime and job creation.

Pepe
26-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Detailed numbers won't convince anyone of anything.

Lewis
26-01-2019, 01:17 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't just build it as a Democrat. He gets his wall, or lame steel barrier, and then what... You have neutralised his main thing and next electoral attack line forever at relatively little cost. What does he campaign on now? Meanwhile, you make yourselves at least look like you care about border security.

Shindig
26-01-2019, 01:30 PM
And if the moan brigade still continue after the wall's up, turn it into a tourist attraction and make bank off that.

phonics
26-01-2019, 01:32 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't just build it as a Democrat. He gets his wall, or lame steel barrier, and then what... You have neutralised his main thing and next electoral attack line forever at relatively little cost. What does he campaign on now? Meanwhile, you make yourselves at least look like you care about border security.

Because he had literally one issue. An issue that less than 20% of the country agree with and you'd have conceded it. Everything else he's done is GOP by numbers.

Trump doesn't deal in policy, he deals in optics. This whole thing is due to his TV shows calling him a pussy.

mugbull
26-01-2019, 05:13 PM
I don’t think the wall is as “groundbreakingly illiberal” an idea as a lot of people do, nor is it actually that expensive, all things considered...but my fucking god, I want to see him try and fail over and over again to make it happen

Pepe
26-01-2019, 05:30 PM
The Wall is, like every single thing in this country, just a political symbol. No one cares about its cost, or its effectiveness, or its morality, or whatever.

Giggles
26-01-2019, 05:33 PM
The Wall is, like every single thing in this country, just a political symbol. No one cares about its cost, or its effectiveness, or its morality, or whatever.

America's Brexit. If you can keep out even one brown forrin then everything else is worth it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
26-01-2019, 05:38 PM
As if the wall will even keep the Mexicans out.

Lewis
26-01-2019, 07:29 PM
If the case against a wall is that it won't actually work he should just ask for the money to be spent on more active border policing.

mikem
27-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Basic reality of US politics in a world with highly competitive parties (which is relatively new). No incentive to compromise if you think the next election allows you to win and set the agenda. It is extraordinarily difficult to pass any major legislation in the US setup. The president’s top declared priorities are what will be resisted at all costs. Obama got the ACA but it cost him everything else legislatively, including 1,000 local seats nationwide. Trump got neither of his top two legislative priorities. What does pass? Taxes (which wasn’t a declared presidential goal), criminal justice reform, defense, and several bills on opioids.

Bipartisanship occurs either when one party is discredited or marginalized by an exogenous shock like World Wars, Civil War, or a Great Depression. Then they compromise to get whatever because November won’t solve it. Or they compromise on non-declared targets, or get temporary / one off victories that set up your eventual defeat.

ItalAussie
28-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Detailed numbers won't convince anyone of anything.

I'm not actually expecting it to. But what it does mean is that it should force Trump to ask for slightly more money, making it easier to knock him back. Currently, the best Republican argument is that 5.7 billion is basically nothing in the big scheme of things. If the Democrats come out and say "we took it seriously, costed it properly, and came up with 150 billion", then next time Trump might have to put in, say, 30 billion so as not to look utterly stupid. But it's easier to treat 30 billion as an outrageous cost than it is five.

It's 100% political gamesmanship, but I reckon they could land it.

phonics
28-01-2019, 01:27 PM
I'm not actually expecting it to. But what it does mean is that it should force Trump to ask for slightly more money, making it easier to knock him back. Currently, the best Republican argument is that 5.7 billion is basically nothing in the big scheme of things. If the Democrats come out and say "we took it seriously, costed it properly, and came up with 150 billion", then next time Trump might have to put in, say, 30 billion so as not to look utterly stupid. But it's easier to treat 30 billion as an outrageous cost than it is five.

It's 100% political gamesmanship, but I reckon they could land it.

I love how you're trying to approach 2019 in American Politics with the idea of 'out logicing' a party that believes the best protection against guns is more guns, abortion is murder, healthcare is a privilege not a right and that climate change isn't real but god is.

That's just the party, the actual base thinks everyone with a (D) next to their name is a satan-worshipping paedophile ordering 'cheese pizza' at Comet Ping Pong. And that's the normal ones who don't think QAnon is real.

You've completely lost sight of what's going on. The Democrats have asked what the 5.7 billion he asked for is for and no-one can say, it's just a number they made up. Now you want to put together an actual shopping list for them and expect them not to take hostages until they get literally everything you listed out?

Have you not been following the news for like... 12 years?

bruhnaldo
28-01-2019, 02:48 PM
How do ya'll feel about this bit in New York that apparently says you can abort a baby up until it's born?

bruhnaldo
Personally I think that's a fucking madness.

phonics
Let's have a link? Because I'm going to go ahead and say they don't allow you to choose to kill the baby upon pumping it out.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Many states in the US do allow late-term abortion, which I agree is 'fucking madness.' Therein lies the beauty of the whole federal shtick.

bruhnaldo
28-01-2019, 02:54 PM
To be honest any story I've tried to find off a quick google seems slanted one way or the other, I would suggest googling "New York reproductive health act" and coming to your own conclusion.

From what I understand, it basically makes it so a pregnancy can be terminated basically up until birth, but maybe I don't understand it myself who knows.

In interest of fairness, my position on abortion has always been something around "I sure fucking hate that and wish all babies could be born and at least given a chance with or without their biological parents" but I also don't really think the government should be the one who makes that choice. But I also really really hate the idea of an abortion.

phonics
28-01-2019, 02:58 PM
From what I understand, it basically makes it so a pregnancy can be terminated basically up until birth, but maybe I don't understand it myself who knows.

Isn't that only in cases when delivering the baby would likely result in the death of the mother?

If it's the one I'm looking at it was written in 2013 and is still in the senate health comittee, it hasn't even got scheduled date to be debated on the floor, let alone voted on. I think 8.5 month pregnant women desperate to clawhammer a foetus will have to go to term.

edit: Had a read of the bill, yeah it's allowed when either the mother or the child were unlikely to survive delivery. Seems reasonable to me?

https://i.imgur.com/VFezupJ.png

Pepe
28-01-2019, 03:00 PM
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/nj/2015/1/21/a-look-at-late-term-abortion/abortion-restrix-2000.png

EDIT:

Massive version:

https://www.nationaljournal.com/media/media/2015/10/27/Abortion-restrix-2000.png

Pepe
28-01-2019, 03:05 PM
edit: Had a read of the bill, yeah it's allowed when either the mother or the child were unlikely to survive delivery. Seems reasonable to me?

It does. Except the 'life or health' part. 'Health' is wide open to be exploited.

phonics
28-01-2019, 03:09 PM
It does. Except the 'life or health' part. 'Health' is wide open to be exploited.

But take it out and "There's a 2% chance it'll go fine and a 98% chance you're in a coma for the rest of your life." means you're taking it to term.

bruhnaldo
28-01-2019, 03:11 PM
I certainly could understand protecting the life of the mother tbf.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 03:13 PM
But take it out and "There's a 2% chance it'll go fine and a 98% chance you're in a coma for the rest of your life." means you're taking it to term.

Of course. Laws always tend to fail on the edge cases. It could still be worded in a far more specific way than 'health,' even though I assume that most doctors would show good judgement in most cases.

phonics
28-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Of course. Laws always tend to fail on the edge cases. It could still be worded in a far more specific way than 'health,' even though I assume that most doctors would show good judgement in most cases.

The bill that I quoted is 6 pages from 2013. I presume the one that leaves comittee on will be slightly more detailed.

mikem
28-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Are non-medical late term abortions even a thing? Everything about abortion should at least feel messy. I’ll add people who quite literally can never be on the receiving end of a law being so sure they should get to decide how it is written or applied to the list of things that should make us all a bit less sure of things.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Are non-medical late term abortions even a thing?

An extremely low percent of all abortions, iirc.

mikem
28-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Having three kids I just find the whole concept of late term “abortion misuse” odd. Who is out there going through 6-8 months of pregnancy and then terminating on a lark? I’d imagine a near totality of the reasons, medical or otherwise, are serious and not undertaken lightly. A vague law that gives doctors and mothers the most leeway in cases that are almost certainly tragic is probably best.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 04:30 PM
As long as we apply the 'I'm sure they had good reasons' clause to every law, I'm cool with that.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 04:33 PM
The French way works for me:

legal on demand up to 12 weeks after conception (14 weeks after the last menstrual period). Abortions at later stages of pregnancy are allowed if two physicians certify that the abortion will be done to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognized as incurable.

Lewis
28-01-2019, 04:34 PM
They will just interpret 'health' as widely as possible, up to and including stretch marks potentially making you a bit sad, which is essentially how our system works. Not that I am against that. But that is how it will work.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Exactly, at which point why have a law in the first place? Especially in a country where several states have no restrictions already.

phonics
28-01-2019, 05:07 PM
They will just interpret 'health' as widely as possible, up to and including stretch marks potentially making you a bit sad, which is essentially how our system works. Not that I am against that. But that is how it will work.

Shut the fuck up you emotional husk. Who is carrying a baby for 6 months and then deciding to abort for stretch marks?

bruhnaldo
28-01-2019, 05:10 PM
I think the point is more that people in this country claim just about any nonsensical reason to do anything and then tell you that you're being harsh/cold when you try to call them on it, rather than a real-deal application.

Like when people get marijuana cards they just say shit like "I have a bit of anxiety I guess" and voila, they are free to purchase weed legally.

mikem
28-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Yes, we really need to expend the power of the federal government because it is highly likely that people are going to get pregnant once every couple of years and decide to abort in the seventh month. Is this a one time crime or a repeated offense?

We need to step in and discourage that shit. Maybe mandatory minimums to stop people getting stretch mark abortions and the like because it is so common. Federal sentencing guidelines cause that always works out so well.

Not every crime need be prosecuted.

Lewis
28-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Shut the fuck up you emotional husk. Who is carrying a baby for 6 months and then deciding to abort for stretch marks?

More than likely nobody.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Yes, we really need to expend the power of the federal government because it is highly likely that people are going to get pregnant once every couple of years and decide to abort in the seventh month. Is this a one time crime or a repeated offense?

We need to step in and discourage that shit. Maybe mandatory minimums to stop people getting stretch mark abortions and the like because it is so common. Federal sentencing guidelines cause that always works out so well.

Not every crime need be prosecuted.

Right now the "power of the federal government" is being spent on a law that claims to set limits but, in the way that it is written, doesn't*. Maybe that "power" must have been "spent" somewhere else, instead of creating a non-law.

*Based on that thing phonics posted. I have no idea, nor do I care, what is actually going on with that particular bill.

randomlegend
28-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Our system works on the basis that carrying a baby is inherently riskier than not carrying a baby, and therefore an abortion can always be justified on the health grounds (I forget the exact wording) option on the form.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 05:52 PM
I think the point is more that people in this country claim just about any nonsensical reason to do anything and then tell you that you're being harsh/cold when you try to call them on it, rather than a real-deal application.

Like when people get marijuana cards they just say shit like "I have a bit of anxiety I guess" and voila, they are free to purchase weed legally.

The point is that, if you are going to write a law, do it properly. Creating a law that is basically a giant loophole makes no sense.

We can also apply the very contemporary INEQUALITY paradigm to it. A poor woman will go to a doctor, he will say your health is not really in danger, and she will be screwed. Lewis's rich woman will worry about her stretch marks, will be told no, will get a lawyer, and get her abortion. because shit law-writing

Pepe
28-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Our system works on the basis that carrying a baby is inherently riskier than not carrying a baby, and therefore an abortion can always be justified on the health grounds (I forget the exact wording) option on the form.

Example of a shit law right there.

phonics
28-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Right now the "power of the federal government" is being spent on a law that claims to set limits but, in the way that it is written, doesn't*. Maybe that "power" must have been "spent" somewhere else, instead of creating a non-law.

*Based on that thing phonics posted. I have no idea, nor do I care, what is actually going on with that particular bill.

Well the power of the federal government isn't being spent on it because it's in the New York state senate and I will say again, has been in committee since 2013 and has not left it.

@bruhnaldo (https://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=19), can I ask where you saw this story or how you came to be aware of it? Just people chatting irl or was it online?

Example of a shit law right there.

Or a law that's suitably broad to allow the individuals involved with specialist knowledge of that specific case the ability to navigate it to the best of their ability or should we have set of rigid laws and have every decision decided by a judge who is an expert in law not in medicine?

I understand the need for specific laws in regulatory/financial/safety cases etc. but what does everyone involved in the case of abortion have to gain? To the best of my knowledge, there aren't people out there just really passionate about pushing unborn fetuses out of desperate women.

Pepe
28-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Twitter I bet.