PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 08:54 AM
At the same time, people who had had a proper education, or grown up in a country which didn't take itself deadly fucking seriously, wouldn't buy that. If you launched Fox News in Britain or Australia it would be laughed out of town except by a few UKIP idiots and the equivalent.

Jesus wept the wording of his statement sacking the Attorney General is utterly preposterous. He's going to get impeached rapidly and if not, the CIA will have no option but to do him in.

Magic
31-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I bet if Kablama did all this stuff people wouldn't moan.

Henry
31-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Mike Pence must be loving all his fuckups, knowing that he's going to be POTUS quite soon.

Magic
31-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Mike Pence = Francis Underwood.

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Mike Pence must be loving all his fuckups, knowing that he's going to be POTUS quite soon.

He'd be better - he might also be daft as a brush, but you'd lose the gravitas and cult of personality that sustains Trump.

phonics
31-01-2017, 09:04 AM
With firing Obama's AG with his own unconfirmed. Now is when we see if the Democrats have any balls whatsoever.

edit: Mike Pence would in no way shape or form be better for the country than Donald Trump. At least Trump thinks he's helping people.

Henry
31-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Pence would be dangerous in different ways. He's likely to be more diplomatic about fucking people over.

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 09:10 AM
edit: Mike Pence would in no way shape or form be better for the country than Donald Trump. At least Trump thinks he's helping people.

Yeah but Trump is a one man fireball of unstoppable destruction. Pence... nah.

phonics
31-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Yeah he'd just round up the gays, blacks and Mexicans. As long as he's not hurting us normies.

GS
31-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Checks, meet balances.

That's rather disingenuous, isn't it. It was the acting AG and she can't exactly stay in office if she refuses to implement an executive order from the head of the executive branch.

The courts will decide legality / constitutionality, and that's your check.

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 09:38 AM
None of this is a great advert for concentrating the executive branch in one person.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 09:40 AM
That's rather disingenuous, isn't it. It was the acting AG and she can't exactly stay in office if she refuses to implement an executive order from the head of the executive branch.

The courts will decide legality / constitutionality, and that's your check.

God, you're like my shadow. At any rate, I was more commenting on the fact that Trump's not going to like being struck down by the courts if and when that happens. It'll be interesting to see how that all goes down.

That said, the AG is supposed to be an independent legal voice that doesn't serve the President's interest. So it's still a worrying development.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Jesus wept the wording of his statement sacking the Attorney General is utterly preposterous.
I know, right? If he didn't write it himself, he certainly had a lot to do with it. That's just not how fully-functioning grownups write things.

phonics
31-01-2017, 09:48 AM
The problem here is a Congress/Senate that is more desperate to cut a few points of the riches taxes than do anything to even inconvenience him so his EO's are coming through and passing off as actual law.

Obama had one to close Guantanamo, how'd that go?

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Hopefully the Democrats have learned from the overwhelming political message of the last eight years. Obstruction costs you no political capital whatsoever.

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 09:52 AM
I bet they're all glad they lined up behind Mrs Clinton.

GS
31-01-2017, 09:53 AM
"Popular vote" isn't irrelevant. It doesn't undermine the legitimacy of Trump's win, which was fair and completely valid under the rules. But you don't just rule for your own voters. If you sweep 60% of the vote and 40 states, there's no reason to hold back even a little bit from implementing your ideas, because it seems like the country in general approves. But if it's razor thin, you have to remember that there's a huge portion of the population that disagrees with your proposals, and that's a good reason to at least look at some kind of meeting in the middle (skewed to your side, which is fair given the result).

Politics isn't just about winning, despite the fact that it's turned increasingly tribal in the last 20 years. You govern for all the voters, not just the ones who voted for you. A popular vote loss suggests that an effective leader should probably reach out and find some sort of middle ground. Nobody is suggesting Trump should concede his position and go home. But they're suggesting that it's not the campaign anymore; he should remember that most of the country aren't Republican voters, and find a way to implement his plans which doesn't alienate his own populace.

Effective politics shouldn't just be "win or bust". But it's become practically a sporting event now. You only have to look at how particularly dogmatic members of one side or the other basically jerk off at the idea of their ideological opponents being unhappy. That's simply not a healthy way to govern, even though it's satisfying on an individual level.

It's entirely valid. He had a 'manifesto', for lack of a better phrase, and was elected on that platform. In effect, you're suggesting that if somebody doesn't win the popular vote they should be prevented from fully implementing their agenda. Bill Clinton won 43% of the vote in 1992. By your reckoning, he should have sat there doing fuck all because there was a popular landslide in favour of "Not Clinton".

Ultimately the Democrats wouldn't have been interested in compromise if they'd had the votes to implement their agenda when Obama was in office. He governed through executive orders of questionable legality to circumvent checks in the system. Liberals were comfortable with that because they agreed with what he was doing. They can't now complain when the pendulum swings.

The Americans have elected a Republican president, Republican congress, 33 governors are Republican, only 12 state legislatures are controlled by Democrats. Ultimately the federal government represents the states - not the people directly - and there is a clear mandate across America for Republican ideas and Republican policies.

My issue here is one of respecting democracy. There are checks and balances in the system. You have elections and term limits. The Democrats lost. Trump has a mandate and a perfectly legitimate right to implement it. Appealing to anything beyond that is fanciful. If he does anything overtly daft, it'll be struck down by the judiciary, he'll be impeached by the legislature, or the electorate will reject him next time out. Until then, I'm afraid he won and it's the Democrats fault for offering a shit candidate with a shit campaign.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 09:55 AM
You know the (non sex-related) thing Bill Clinton is most famous for is how effectively he worked with the Republican opposition to pass legislation that kept both sides satisfied, right? Passing a budget in 1994 was a watershed moment. Like, if the Lewinsky thing blew up, that would have been the defining component of his legacy.

Obama's elections weren't even close. The second one was a damn near landslide. That's the kind of mandate I was talking about. And even then, ACA was modified dramatically to make it more palatable.

I don't see anything in what I said about not respecting democracy. I've not claimed the election to be illegitimate, and have no issues whatsoever with the use of executive orders (assuming they hold up to the judicial branch). But the popular margin is not a meaningless number; this was as razor-edged a win as you could get, and a good leader would bear that in mind. He won the election, but a smart leader would try and find some common ground to win a few more hearts and minds. Whereas, 60% of the vote and 40 states would mean he could steamroll ahead safe in the knowledge that America in general is behind him.

GS
31-01-2017, 09:59 AM
God, you're like my shadow. At any rate, I was more commenting on the fact that Trump's not going to like being struck down by the courts if and when that happens. It'll be interesting to see how that all goes down.

That said, the AG is supposed to be an independent legal voice that doesn't serve the President's interest. So it's still a worrying development.

Perhaps you could avoid the discussion by appealing to your expertise again.

The problem here is a Congress/Senate that is more desperate to cut a few points of the riches taxes than do anything to even inconvenience him so his EO's are coming through and passing off as actual law.

Obama had one to close Guantanamo, how'd that go?

Obama likes to blame the legislative branch, which the Americans elect, and which exists as a check on the executive anyway. So even if they did prevent it, that's what the Americans voted for.

None of this is a great advert for concentrating the executive branch in one person.

Of course it isn't. It's a terrible structure for government.

phonics
31-01-2017, 10:01 AM
I bet they're all glad they lined up behind Mrs Clinton.

Depressingly they still are. They may as well start referring to her as 'mother'. The Democrats have spent the last 3 months punching left not right.

We're at the point now where Bernie Sanders is an anti-semitic racist and 'Women of Color' should be the natural base of the party (all 3% of the population)

phonics
31-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Obama likes to blame the legislative branch, which the Americans elect, and which exists as a check on the executive anyway. So even if they did prevent it, that's what the Americans voted for.

What the fuck are you talking about you gombine?

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Perhaps you could avoid the discussion by appealing to your expertise again.

I promise you that if you ever write a treatise on the finer points of chartered accountancy, I will defer to your expertise on the topic.

GS
31-01-2017, 10:08 AM
You know the (non sex-related) thing Bill Clinton is most famous for is how effectively he worked with the Republican opposition to pass legislation that kept both sides satisfied, right? Passing a budget in 1994 was a watershed moment. Like, if the Lewinsky thing blew up, that would have been the defining component of his legacy.

Obama's elections weren't even close. The second one was a damn near landslide. That's the kind of mandate I was talking about. And even then, ACA was modified dramatically to make it more palatable.

I don't see anything in what I said about not respecting democracy. I've not claimed the election to be illegitimate, and have no issues whatsoever with the use of executive orders (assuming they hold up to the judicial branch). But the popular margin is not a meaningless number; this was as razor-edged a win as you could get, and a good leader would bear that in mind. He won the election, but a smart leader would try and find some common ground to win a few more hearts and minds.

You know that the checks and balances exist in the system therefore Clinton having to work with the Republicans, given the Americans elected them, was entirely in keeping with the constitution, right? You know how that works, right?

You're also having a laugh if you think Obama's second win was a landslide. Romney took 24 states and 47.2% of the vote. Obama had 26 states and 51.1%. It was comfortable enough, no more. FDR 1936, LBJ 1964, Nixon 1972 and Reagan 1984 are genuine landslides.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 10:10 AM
The contemporary political landscape and increasing polarisation among voters makes those numbers largely impossible now. States won back then would be unthinkable now, and the electoral maps make for fascinating reads.

But yeah, Obama still had to negotiate - that's not a bad thing. You have to rule for all, not just those who elected you; that's just good leadership. You use whatever tools are at your disposal, but you don't forget about the half(+) of the country that preferred the other guy. Only a bad leader or an idiot delights in the unhappiness of their own constituents.

Now the Democrats should follow the lessons the Republicans taught them for the last eight years. Force Trump to earn his leadership.

GS
31-01-2017, 10:14 AM
What the fuck are you talking about you gombine?

You asked about Gitmo. Presidents can't just do what they want because of the checks in the system. It's why Obama couldn't do everything he wanted to do.

What is your understanding, exactly?

phonics
31-01-2017, 10:18 AM
You asked about Gitmo. Presidents can't just do what they want because of the checks in the system. It's why Obama couldn't do everything he wanted to do.

What is your understanding, exactly?
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder454/34171454.jpg

You're so desperate to disagree with 'THOSE DAMN LIBERALS' you're not even reading. I was specifically referencing that there isn't that much power in the Executive if you have Congress acting as a check but they're more interested in passing their tax cuts to do so. So I once again ask, what the fuck are you talking about you gombine?

mugbull
31-01-2017, 10:22 AM
GS has been Mert tier for a while. Fun stuff to watch.

GS
31-01-2017, 10:24 AM
It's unusual for you to speak coherently, or to demonstrate any sense of understanding of an issue, so you can understand why some of us may be blindsided should it happen.

phonics
31-01-2017, 10:26 AM
No, you're just a twat who thinks he's superior to literally everyone.

Spammer
31-01-2017, 10:27 AM
We should all aspire to be more like GS.

GS
31-01-2017, 10:27 AM
GS has been Mert tier for a while. Fun stuff to watch.

Alas, I simply find the constant whining from people who disagree with election outcomes to be utterly tiresome. A bit less self pity and sneering, and a bit more thought and coherent argument, may mean they win next time. It would have the welcome side effect of sparing us all the after-eventing anger.

Mazuuurk
31-01-2017, 10:33 AM
It would have the welcome side effect of sparing us all the after-eventing anger.

If people lose, they get pissed. So what? Let them be pissed and let them be vocal about it. It's good that people care, right? The more vocal they are, the more democracy should (in theory at least) benefit. That goes either way of the political spectrum.

Queenslander
31-01-2017, 10:34 AM
I wonder how many of the outraged voted?

Henry
31-01-2017, 10:36 AM
The whole "Trump gets to enact his campaign platform because he won" thing is bullshit anyway. Half of his platform is damned illegal.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 10:38 AM
If people lose, they get pissed. So what? Let them be pissed and let them be vocal about it. It's good that people care, right? The more vocal they are, the more democracy should (in theory at least) benefit. That goes either way of the political spectrum.

It's like the whole Tea Party thing never happened. :cab:

Wake me when the left are claiming Trump was born in Kenya.

Bernanke
31-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Mike Pence = Francis Underwood.

I feel like that's Paul Ryan actually. He seems like a weasel who navigates between backing Trump and always having an out rather well.

Pence is just staying quiet.

Pepe
31-01-2017, 11:31 AM
A bit less self pity and sneering, and a bit more thought and coherent argument, may mean they win next time.

That's how the Republicans won this time around isn't it?

Pepe
31-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Couldn't we also impeach Pence? Who's next in line? Bernie?

Queenslander
31-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Mitch McConnell?

Queenslander
31-01-2017, 11:41 AM
The hunters are seriously mobilising now, Joe Rogan is on board. :drool:

Bernanke
31-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Couldn't we also impeach Pence? Who's next in line? Bernie?

Paul Ryan.

phonics
31-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Damn I was hoping it would be the secretary of agriculture or something incredibly outdated.

Give it to Ben Carson.

ItalAussie
31-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Paul Ryan.

He's going to be President by the time this term ends, isn't he?

http://1079638729.rsc.cdn77.org/file_exchange/java_game_images/games/2/1998/real/1.jpg

Spoonsky
31-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Depressingly they still are. They may as well start referring to her as 'mother'. The Democrats have spent the last 3 months punching left not right.

We're at the point now where Bernie Sanders is an anti-semitic racist and 'Women of Color' should be the natural base of the party (all 3% of the population)

I don't think you know what you're talking about here.

phonics
31-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Stuff like this literally every day

'Save us Hilary'

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3f6Xr8UcAE8UHx.jpg:large

It's not her fault she's a shitty candidate, it's everyone elses.

Lewis
31-01-2017, 12:40 PM
The international wing of the Clinton Foundation closing down the other week went under the radar. Why would foreign governments suddenly stop donating to worthy initiatives? :confused:

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 12:46 PM
The amount of self-awareness in Mrs Clinton's camp must be right down there at minus 70 degrees Miliband - or 'absolute zero' as it's more commonly known.

Magic
31-01-2017, 12:55 PM
I just love Shillary as a name. It's superb. Also had a dream Trump was impeached and Bill took over just to laud it over her.

Kikó
31-01-2017, 01:12 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/world/trump/roseneft-sale-connection | Russian Oil Deal Was Predicted By Trump Dossier

Iantresting.

phonics
31-01-2017, 02:12 PM
The amount of self-awareness in Mrs Clinton's camp must be right down there at minus 70 degrees Miliband - or 'absolute zero' as it's more commonly known.

No joke, their head-strategist is now on a hihgly paid speaking tour 'debating' former Trump campaign enforcer Corey Lewandowski. They really don't get why everyone thinks they're arseholes. The whole bunch of them somehow manage to fail up every time.

randomlegend
31-01-2017, 03:24 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-house-five-year-old-boy-detained-dulles-international-airport-hours-sean-spicer-pose-security-a7554521.html?cmpid=facebook-post

GS explaining why it's fine in 3, 2...

phonics
31-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Can he explain why it was AMAZING DIPLOMACY to say nothing about it 'because we don't say bad things about our allies' and then have the Home Secretary come out and call it 'Wrong and divisive' four/five days later while he's at it?

For all the comparisons to Thatcher, she might be the weakest idea of a 'leader' we've had in my generation of PMs. Will do literally whatever will make the papers less angry at her.

GS
31-01-2017, 04:43 PM
I fail to understand why we should offer a view on the domestic policy of an ally, beyond what action the government is proposing to take to protect the interests of British citizens.

Jimmy Floyd
31-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Can he explain why it was AMAZING DIPLOMACY to say nothing about it 'because we don't say bad things about our allies' and then have the Home Secretary come out and call it 'Wrong and divisive' four/five days later while he's at it?

For all the comparisons to Thatcher, she might be the weakest idea of a 'leader' we've had in my generation of PMs. Will do literally whatever will make the papers less angry at her.

Boris will take over soon and then everything will be brilliant again.

Disco
31-01-2017, 05:38 PM
The already-known-for-being-outspoken Foreign Secretary seems like the ideal person to publicly register disapproval of an allies policy.

phonics
31-01-2017, 06:25 PM
I saw a joke on Twitter and now it's got me thinking.

How many states do you think Dwayne The Rock Johnson would carry in a Presidential Election? 50?

Disco
31-01-2017, 06:26 PM
It doesn't matter.

Disco
31-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Actually, thinking about it, if he had Stone Cold on the ticket then it would be a clean sweep.

phonics
31-01-2017, 06:34 PM
I can't be bothered to do my quote trick so I'm just going to say, SD, that was a very good joke.

GS
01-02-2017, 12:01 AM

He's 'entertaining' people from countries which ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country, and some which prevent you entering if you've even had the temerity to visit Israel before. The irony appears to have escaped him.

Henry
01-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Scalia 2.0 for the Supreme Court.

I hardly thought I'd say this but it could have been worse.

Jimmy Floyd
01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
It certainly could - we could be American and thus have any reason to give a shit what the makeup of the Supreme Court is.

phonics
01-02-2017, 11:01 AM

http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/

http://i.imgur.com/iYPtdLZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/Qdjhv7A.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/CzbEkgW.png
*ahem*

Pepe
01-02-2017, 01:35 PM
:D -

phonics
01-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Just found out that Steve Bannon made the majoirty of his personal fortune by buying a cut of royalties for Seinfeld when it was in it's first season.

Jimmy Floyd
01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
That is probably the greatest irony of all time.

niko_cee
01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Some serious liberal tear potential there.

phonics
01-02-2017, 01:44 PM
That is probably the greatest irony of all time.

"It's a government about nothing" is quite a good summation so far actually.

Lewis
01-02-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm already bored of hearing about Steve Bannon. He ran what most people seemed to think was the shittest presidential campaign ever (could a 'normal' candidate have survived it?), but now he's Lynton Crosby and Otto von Bismarck rolled into one.

Henry
01-02-2017, 02:41 PM
He's obviously not that, seeing as he's making a big mess of everything. But it does seem that he's pulling the strings.

Lewis
01-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Only insofar as any chief of staff (or whatever his title is) makes things happen. He still takes direction from somewhere, and ultimately needs his shit to be signed off by the same person, so making him out to be Rasputin just makes 'The Donald' look comparatively blameless.

Henry
01-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Only insofar as any chief of staff (or whatever his title is) makes things happen. He still takes direction from somewhere, and ultimately needs his shit to be signed off by the same person, so making him out to be Rasputin just makes 'The Donald' look comparatively blameless.

Do you think that The Donald actually gives a fuck about policy? Insofar as that is concerned, he's taking advice from those close to him.

Lewis
01-02-2017, 03:53 PM
I think he will probably restrict himself to his main issues, but I think he will also be savvy enough not to just wave through any old shite without reading it (not to say he won't wave through shite; be he will have his reasons for doing it).

phonics
01-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Christ, he's having a Black History Month gathering at The White House and it sounds mental.

First a Pastor opened up by saying he's been "on the phone to all the top gangs" in Chicago and "they want to negotiate with Mr. Trump" and then Trump made this speech on Martin Luther King

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3l0TKqWMAA8Jvt.jpg:large

wullie
01-02-2017, 04:10 PM
I have a dream. Oh man, you wouldn't believe the dream I got

Henry
01-02-2017, 04:22 PM
A tremendous dream.

GS
01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
The best dream you could ever have.

Jimmy Floyd
01-02-2017, 04:47 PM
The full transcript is amazing and has such gems as 'It's a big job, and it's not only housing, it's mind and spirit, right?'

Foe
01-02-2017, 05:41 PM
The best dream you could ever have.

The dreams love me. They love me.

Bernanke
01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
The full transcript is amazing and has such gems as 'It's a big job, and it's not only housing, it's mind and spirit, right?'

Christ, you weren't kidding.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3l2gVXWEAEEqG3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3l2hXUXUAAZZeq.jpg

Big league.

mikem
01-02-2017, 07:32 PM

Spoonsky is right. You are just reacting to the circular firing squad we keep open 24/7 on the American left. The left has not gone farther left. It is more audibly left because it is grassroots and not filtered through political doublespeak. The Tea Party was the same.

randomlegend
01-02-2017, 08:22 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-cabinet-picks-republicans-change-rules-democrats-a7557391.html

Bernanke
01-02-2017, 08:28 PM
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/01/report-in-a-humiliating-and-threatening-tone-trump-lambast/21705130/

Estevez said she "obtained confidential information" corroborating the content of the discussion.

"I don't need the Mexicans, I don't need Mexico," Trump reportedly told the Mexican president. "We are going to build the wall and you all are going to pay for it, like it or not."
"He even complained of the bad role the [Mexican] army is playing in the fight against narco trafficking," Estevez, who writes for Forbes and is close to Mexican journalist and anchorwoman Carmen Aristegui, said during an interview with Aristegui's eponymous news outlet.
Trump "even suggested to [Peńa Nieto] that if they are incapable of combatting [narco trafficking] he may have to send troops to assume this task," she said.

Two weeks in and he threatens to invade an ally.

Bartholomert
02-02-2017, 05:06 AM
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/01/report-in-a-humiliating-and-threatening-tone-trump-lambast/21705130/

Two weeks in and he threatens to invade an ally.

Oh yes :drool:

Man it feels awesome to have a leader that you are proud of. Just cucking everybody left and right.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 05:25 AM
The only problem with that is that everyone knows he can't do it, so it just sounds like idiot bluster. At least "20% tax on imports" is a threat he could make good on.

And I very much mean "can't", not "won't". If he even contemplated invading an allied nation, he'd be out on his ass so fast, it'd be a race to see whether the army, the judiciary, or his own party would be the ones to bring him down.

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Malcolm and Don had a lovely chat I see.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Malcolm and Don had a lovely chat I see.

I truly can't understand why anyone would pick a fight with us. We're a totally inconsequential country in the big scheme of things. :cab:

We basically just dig valuable rocks out of the ground and sell them. That's our entire lot.

Jimmy Floyd
02-02-2017, 09:21 AM
Surely everyone (except Theresa May it seems) will be lining up to be the next foreign leader that The Donald rants at for no apparent reason. Must do your domestic ratings the world of good.

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Malcolm is loathed by the far right and struggles with most people left of centre.

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 09:47 AM
I truly can't understand why anyone would pick a fight with us. We're a totally inconsequential country in the big scheme of things. :cab:

We basically just dig valuable rocks out of the ground and sell them. That's our entire lot.

It's a strange one but completely irrelevant with our buddy buddy bond going forward.

Don't you think?

Serj
02-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Trump's SCOTUS pick founded club called Fascism Forever (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html)

:D What the hell.

Henry
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM
It seems that I wake up to a new diplomatic outrage every day. Nice.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Trump's SCOTUS pick founded club called Fascism Forever (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html)

It's basically the right-wing equivalent of teenagers waving around The Communist Manifesto. It means he was a prat as a kid, but I assume that's true of almost everyone who winds up in politics on either side.

I'm more concerned by his age that anything else. He's the youngest appointment in quite a while, and could easily be on the court for forty years. He basically sits in the same spot as Scalia, and would likely rule the same way in every major case, so it wouldn't really shake up the status quo too much. I don't see what the Democrats would have to lose by filibustering the nomination to try and get someone a bit more centrist on the court though. Say it again guys - obstruction costs you nothing.

Bernanke
02-02-2017, 12:15 PM
It honestly amazes me that he is so bad at the diplomacy part. It's like the terms "soft power" or "goodwill" haven't existed in the business environment he's been marinated in.

He has apparently put Iran "on notice" now. Over/under on him launching a ground invasion of Yemen as a proxy for it?

Lewis
02-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Given that the geezer sounds about as qualified as you could possibly be (EXPERT), even amongst these sorts of people, does that make it harder to spin a convincing opposition to his appointment?

phonics
02-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I found CENTCOMs response to that pretty funny.

"What do you think of putting Iran on notice?"
"No-one told us, we haven't done anything"

Bernanke
02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Given that the geezer sounds about as qualified as you could possibly be (EXPERT), even amongst these sorts of people, does that make it harder to spin a convincing opposition to his appointment?

Sort of. He hasn't put down his views on a lot of the more controversial subjects for libs, so they can't attack him on the basis of him overturning Roe v. Wade or something like that. He's an outspoken originalist, which basically makes him a conservative roughly in the same mold as Scalia, but at least he seems sane.

The argument I've seen from the left for obstruction is rather that the GOP blocked Garland for a year, and some Dems want to play a game of chicken with Mitch McConnell saying essentially that "we'll keep the court at 8, and if you want it any other way you'll have to nuke the filibuster". Supposedly he would be very reluctant to do so. The risk involved would be RBG and/or Breyer croaking it in the next 4 years with the filibuster gone, which would mean The Don could see fit to place Sarah Palin there with no way of blocking it.

Serj
02-02-2017, 01:11 PM
It's basically the right-wing equivalent of teenagers waving around The Communist Manifesto. It means he was a prat as a kid, but I assume that's true of almost everyone who winds up in politics on either side.

Yeah, judging from the content of the article it might even have been somewhat satirical, but it still struck me as an odd thing to do, even for a high-schooler. Seems to confirm that there's not much wrong with the guy though, if that's the first thing that gets dug up.

As for the obstructionist point, I don't know.. the narrative might be going the other way if they filibuster the nomination, with the evil elitist Democrats being painted as bad losers. I'm not sure anything the Republicans have done during the last eight years is going to matter much in that kind of discourse.

Lewis
02-02-2017, 01:25 PM

Stupid, yes; but you can't fault his adherence to the TTH style guide.

Pepe
02-02-2017, 01:35 PM
All of you who have Twitter accounts should post on his Twitter some support, using chimpout and seething in there. Imagine what a collective e-victory that would be when he uses them against those pesky liberals. :drool:

phonics
02-02-2017, 01:39 PM
It's practically impossible, there are so many bots set-up to auto reply to his tweets that you couldn't even get a 'Seething' in there before it's drowned out by some bloke flogging his Liberal Tears mug.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 01:40 PM
As for the obstructionist point, I don't know.. the narrative might be going the other way if they filibuster the nomination, with the evil elitist Democrats being painted as bad losers. I'm not sure anything the Republicans have done during the last eight years is going to matter much in that kind of discourse.
I'm not saying that they should do it for the sake of quid pro quo. It's that they should have noticed that the Republicans were able to stonewall largely without consequence. That's the lesson to be taken away from the last eight years. There will be no political fallout in four years time to obstruction at every turn.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 01:42 PM
It's a strange one but completely irrelevant with our buddy buddy bond going forward.

Don't you think?
Hard to tell what the geopolitical landscape is going to be in four years. I don't think we'd follow the US into war with China, and I also wouldn't say that's 100% off the table.

Lewis
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Plus you will have had about six new Prime Ministers by then.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Malcs seems to be holding on. I doubt the LibNats are actually going to oust him any time soon. The right-wing of the party will whine to try and get what they want, but Australians prefer boring centrists when it comes to the vote, and everyone knows it.

I think he's settled in the "you're the long-term PM so absolutely nobody likes you, but kind of a low-key dissatisfaction than any kind of raging hatred".

Bernanke
02-02-2017, 01:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vaJKE6O.png

LOW ENERGY. NO STAMINA.

Lewis
02-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Malcs seems to be holding on. I doubt the LibNats are actually going to oust him any time soon. The right-wing of the party will whine to try and get what they want, but Australians prefer boring centrists when it comes to the vote, and everyone knows it.

I think he's settled in the "you're the long-term PM so absolutely nobody likes you, but kind of a low-key dissatisfaction than any kind of raging hatred".

Does his wealth get brought up a lot when people moan about him (like how David Cameron being well off was constantly referred to), or does he indulge in the grand Australian tradition of referring to himself as 'just a bloke from *whichever shit part of Sydney is closest to his actual birthplace*', making everybody cherish him?

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Does his wealth get brought up a lot when people moan about him (like how David Cameron being well off was constantly referred to), or does he indulge in the grand Australian tradition of referring to himself as 'just a bloke from *whichever shit part of Sydney is closest to his actual birthplace*', making everybody cherish him?

He doesn't try to seem like an everyman, and nobody really gives him a hard time about it.

I think Australians generally prefer the idea of obviously competent, boring manager-types in charge, and he really obviously ticks those boxes.

Magic
02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
He doesn't try to seem like an everyman, and nobody really gives him a hard time about it.

I think Australians generally prefer the idea of obviously competent, boring manager-types in charge, and he really obviously ticks those boxes.

Why did they want independence then?

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Why did they want independence then?We still like the idea of Australians being in charge of Australia. Because duh.

Most Australians exist in the half-space where they would ideally like to be ruled by one of our own, but don't want to risk an unknown system. If you proposed the exact current system, except with the head-of-stateness being devolved to the governer-general, you'd walk it in. But Australians are risk-averse, which is why the Republic won't win a vote while the ruler is a known quantity. It'll happen eventually though.

I don't actually object to Britain having a monarchy. Britain clearly wants a monarchy, and it works well for them. I, like most Australian republicans, just object to Australia sitting under a non-Australian monarchy. Nobody's suggesting that Lizzie should be first up against the wall or anything.

Not that it has anything to do with anything. I don't even know how we got to this topic.

Pepe
02-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Take it to the Oceania Politics thread ffs.

Boydy
02-02-2017, 02:06 PM
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15G5RX

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Who proposed it? I can't imagine Trump just got it in his head one day to attack something, and poked around in an atlas until he found something he liked.

ItalAussie
02-02-2017, 02:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vaJKE6O.png

LOW ENERGY. NO STAMINA.

He clearly hates the job already. :D

Magic
02-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Mad Dog.

Magic
02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
He clearly hates the job already. :D

Nah, this is all part of the masterplan to get it moved to Trump Tower.

phonics
02-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Who proposed it? I can't imagine Trump just got it in his head one day to attack something, and poked around in an atlas until he found something he liked.

It was already planned under Obama. It's just a way to hit him from the right.

Spoonsky
02-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Just found out that Steve Bannon made the majoirty of his personal fortune by buying a cut of royalties for Seinfeld when it was in it's first season.

That is amazing. It's also ruined my day.

Jimmy Floyd
02-02-2017, 02:19 PM
I want an Australian monarchy now.

Lewis
02-02-2017, 02:20 PM
It can't be a 'non-Australian monarchy' when it pre-dates Australia as a state, the origins of which is lands claimed for the Crown. The indigenous fellas can have that point, but the majority of you can't play the foreign monarch card.

Lewis
02-02-2017, 02:29 PM
That said, in order to reinforce that idea, it might make sense to send Prince Harry to live on the Gold Coast. New Zealand and Canada can share Prince Andrew's daughters (unlucky).

phonics
02-02-2017, 02:58 PM
He's currently at the National Prayer Breakfast blaming Arnie for crap ratings of Celebrity Apprentice.

The internet is so fucking great. Arnie has already fired back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3qyRsIUEAEUvf2.jpg:large

Bernanke
02-02-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm not saying that they should do it for the sake of quid pro quo. It's that they should have noticed that the Republicans were able to stonewall largely without consequence. That's the lesson to be taken away from the last eight years. There will be no political fallout in four years time to obstruction at every turn.

Another argument for obstruction everywhere is that it makes Republicans own the coming 4 years completely. It's a bit "scorched earth", but given how the Trump administration is shaping up tying the GOP to every action he takes makes sense from a strategic perspective.

phonics
02-02-2017, 03:07 PM

:cool:

Max Power
02-02-2017, 03:11 PM
If he was allowed, and Arnie had ran last year, he'd have walked the election right?

phonics
02-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Nah, he would have lost to Clinton. He fucked up California pretty badly.

mikem
02-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Yes, there will be a lot of people who confirmed him previously saying he is a grave danger to foundational rights. They will look stupid to normals but our base wants a temper tantrum. It is stupid to burn the filibuster now because it is a "stolen seat". However, the level of anger even among normals (200-500 people spontaneously protesting in Phoenix, Des Moines, Birmingham and Anchorage? That is not Berkeley Occupy idiots.) means the tail is going to wag the dog for a while.

Bartholomert
02-02-2017, 04:18 PM

Yeah you can keep your Muslim refugees thanks.

Bartholomert
02-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Georgetown Prep is frat af, right near my old house.

Jimmy Floyd
02-02-2017, 04:25 PM
The only way Trump can save this start is by doubling down. Wearing a massive plastic wig of his own hair. Pledging to rename various cities after himself. That sort of thing.

Magic
02-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Washington D.T

wullie
02-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Dontana

phonics
02-02-2017, 05:05 PM
He'll be disappointed to find out that Orange County is already taken.

edit: Fuck, did I just make a pun?

Bernanke
02-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Deportland.

mikem
02-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Sounds like Trump admin screwed up in the vetting. When they don't have field control military proposes based on current strategy; civilian vets in consultation with military and then approves. Lots of ops are proposed because military has duty to offer admin options. Old op that was not yet vetted and new admin either doesn't understand or care about the process.

Henry
02-02-2017, 07:38 PM
President Arnie would be a god-send right about now.

Bartholomert
02-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Sounds like Trump admin screwed up in the vetting. When they don't have field control military proposes based on current strategy; civilian vets in consultation with military and then approves. Lots of ops are proposed because military has duty to offer admin options. Old op that was not yet vetted and new admin either doesn't understand or care about the process.

...or the intelligence community is trying to sabotage him as they've been doing for awhile now

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Yeah you can keep your Muslim refugees thanks.

That's reasonable enough what isn't reasonable is hanging up on your closest Ally in the Pacific and Asia. Really strange behaviour...

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know where/who started throwing 'Nazi' around for seemingly any right-leaning opinion? Twitter is mind-numbing just now.

Pepe
02-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the internet.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the internet.

I'm meaning recently.

phonics
02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know where/who started throwing 'Nazi' around for seemingly any right-leaning opinion? Twitter is mind-numbing just now.

There just so happen to be a large amount of Nazis surfacing in public view. That and a bit of Godwin's law.

Boydy
02-02-2017, 10:39 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0Ex0h0heuV5fqFeU/source.gif

:drool:

Actual Nazi, him.

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Glenn Beck thinks Bannon is dangerous. Glenn Beck!

Magic
02-02-2017, 10:49 PM
BBC4 warning from history on now = BBC warning us trump is a nazi apparently.

wullie
02-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Beck seemed to distance himself from Trump the further his campaign got too, I think being off proper TV has made him question everything he once stood for, like a multiplatform hippy.

Queenslander
02-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Beck seemed to distance himself from Trump the further his campaign got too, I think being off proper TV has made him question everything he once stood for, like a multiplatform hippy.

It will be weird if he is out there speaking out against the administration. He said Bannon was a fan of Lennon.

mikem
03-02-2017, 12:44 AM
...or the intelligence community is trying to sabotage him as they've been doing for awhile now

Not vetted by the CIA but under your logic Trump is negligent. If Trump believes that intelligence is out to get him then he should oversee the vetting process and not use tainted intel. At a minimum he should question it.

Obama's team is the worst team ever!
Let's use their intel!

It is old intel?
Even better!

Intelligence community is horrible.
Should we vet?
No, let's go to dinner.

ItalAussie
03-02-2017, 02:31 AM

The media. Silicon valley. Scientists. The intelligence community.

At some point it stops being a conspiracy, and just becomes everyone seeing the obvious. :D

Bartholomert
03-02-2017, 06:22 AM
The media. Silicon valley. Scientists. The intelligence community.

At some point it stops being a conspiracy, and just becomes everyone seeing the obvious. :D

He is a threat to the parasitic status quo who have enjoyed unjust privileges. These are the cesspools of cuckoldry unwittingly unraveling our civilization under the guise of 'open minded' spineless tolerance.

mugbull
03-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Mert you should write a treatise

Henry
03-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Call it "Merts Kempf".

ItalAussie
03-02-2017, 10:02 AM
That reads like someone who's one bad afternoon away from warning us all about the lizard people.

phonics
03-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Bastion of liberalism, the CIA.

Mazuuurk
03-02-2017, 11:18 AM
I find Mert almost a bit cute sometimes. Like a Psychology student who suddenly "understands the world" or the guy who's jad a trainee job for 3 months and brags in a bar about how the whole industry works and how he once shook hands with the VP of toothpicks or something, and that guy's a pretty big deal. Or the guy who has daddy issues but found a mentor at uni from whom he'll soak up every single word uttered as truth (while the mentor probably has some other things on his mind).

But you know, cute in the sense you just wanna slap them pretty hard - not punch them in the face - because they are kind of naive, and don't know any better.

Spammer
03-02-2017, 11:19 AM
He's a student. It's pretty standard.

-james-
03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
What I find strange is how anyone can be so partisan on the matter, as if Trump can do no wrong. Personally I generally hard to side with any politician (or movement, side of a referendum etc.) because there's always at the very least some detail that doesn't sit well with me. It's especially weird with Trump because it feels like the rest of the world is just trying to keep a straight face.

ItalAussie
03-02-2017, 12:02 PM
He's clearly trying to get a rise. He's cranked it up a notch lately.

That said, I'm pretty close to giving the word 'cuck' the 'brah' treatment and banning it in a unilateral and totally unfair ruling.

phonics
03-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Can we keep ironic uses of cuck?

Mazuuurk
03-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Ital, can you just ban Mert from using the word? That would be quite entertaining.

SvN
03-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I vote that we autocorrect "cuck" to "mert"

Jimmy Floyd
03-02-2017, 12:42 PM
But then all my mertoo clock posts will be ruined.

randomlegend
03-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Can we just ban mert?

He's just turned into a pointless, full volume parody of himself again.

SvN
03-02-2017, 01:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/n8umjWj.png

Henry
03-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Next up on the clown show - Trump to dismantle Dodd-Frank and most likely, the world economy as a result.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-moves-to-undo-dodd-frank-law-1486101602

Shindig
03-02-2017, 07:34 PM
"I want to make jobs for Americans. First, let's torch this affordable healthcare thingy that would've required UNBELIEVABLE MANPOWER to get working."

ItalAussie
03-02-2017, 08:01 PM
"I want to make jobs for Americans. First, let's torch this affordable healthcare thingy that would've required UNBELIEVABLE MANPOWER to get working."

It's worth it to prevent the great conservative nightmare. That someone, somewhere, might get something they did not deserve.

Lewis
03-02-2017, 08:04 PM
He should use that exact line, and then boast about his win in the next breath.

Pepe
04-02-2017, 01:11 PM
So a judge has called the MUSLIM BAN off apparently.

Henry
04-02-2017, 02:02 PM
So-called judge.

Can he be impeached for shit like this?

Bartholomert
04-02-2017, 06:23 PM
So a judge has called the MUSLIM BAN off apparently.

It's objectively, and even in the opinion of my hyper-liberal peers, an OUTRAGEOUS partisan ruling. He should be disbarred.

Bartholomert
04-02-2017, 06:25 PM

Obamacare is a failure by every single one of its own benchmarks. There is nothing about it which is affordable.

Bartholomert
04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
What I find strange is how anyone can be so partisan on the matter, as if Trump can do no wrong. Personally I generally hard to side with any politician (or movement, side of a referendum etc.) because there's always at the very least some detail that doesn't sit well with me. It's especially weird with Trump because it feels like the rest of the world is just trying to keep a straight face.

The world is terrified of an empowered self-interested America. You have been riding on our coat tails for far too long. Have fun employing and training your cucked neutered 'male' population to defend you from Russian expansionism, let's see how condescending you are then.

Bartholomert
04-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Bastion of liberalism, the CIA.

People who go into the CIA are pussy humanities major globalist Europhiles who want to "see the world" and have empathy and fascination for foreign cultures (think of the losers who major in the Uzbek language at university). They see it as a bohemian adventure to promote greater international cooperation, not fulfilling a duty to their country.

Lewis
04-02-2017, 06:42 PM
We should team up with Russia to put the squeeze on Europe (again). Natural allies once more.

Byron
04-02-2017, 07:29 PM
What sort of pizza should I have tonight lads?

Boydy
04-02-2017, 07:35 PM
The CIA are a bunch of hippies. :D

Bartholomert
04-02-2017, 08:46 PM
The CIA are a bunch of hippies. :D

No. They're a bunch of East coast academically under performing children coming from privileged families hipster urbanites. Limousine liberals.

Giggles
04-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Hi mert. You're an awful dickhead.

Jimmy Floyd
04-02-2017, 09:18 PM
If he starts challenging the constitooshan like this he's going to be out on his arse very quickly indeed.

Shindig
04-02-2017, 09:20 PM
I hope he doesn't do something stupid on the way out like send a plane with the codes to Iran.

phonics
04-02-2017, 09:54 PM
No. They're a bunch of East coast academically under performing children coming from privileged families hipster urbanites. Limousine liberals.

That's literally you.

Queenslander
04-02-2017, 09:59 PM
:lol:

John
04-02-2017, 10:01 PM
That 'so-called judge' tweet is fucking great. He'd be well at home as a single mum trying to get South Park banned.

phonics
04-02-2017, 10:03 PM
I spotted mert and friends on YouTube the other day by the way

http://i.imgur.com/W6PkRPH.png

John
04-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Nice to see Foe finally took the hit and got a hair transplant.

Lewis
04-02-2017, 10:45 PM
The Security Studies (lol) people on the East Coast are all young Republicans who go to seminars in suits and call themselves 'Defence Analysts' because they are five handshakes away from John Lewis Gaddis.

ItalAussie
04-02-2017, 11:41 PM
The world is terrified of an empowered self-interested America. You have been riding on our coat tails for far too long. Have fun employing and training your cucked neutered 'male' population to defend you from Russian expansionism, let's see how condescending you are then.

Yep, you've abused your 'cucking privileges'. You don't get to use that word anymore.

http://www.thelocal.se/userdata/images/article/050210a4c9238d237bb800ef3aa3c53ed704fdd3dd4ab4db6e 64a9fe6d244c30.jpg

I'm signing a wildly unfair and highly targeted executive order. If you (mert) use 'cuck', you get warning points.

Amount of points and duration to be decided by me or any other staff member on a whim depending on how obnoxious you're being at any given time.

Lewis
04-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Her on the right was probably raped by a migrant.

Boydy
05-02-2017, 12:06 AM
http://i68.tinypic.com/5ba0yb.gif

Disco
05-02-2017, 12:26 AM
Cuckgate :drool:

Let's unban Harold for a bit to see how annoyed he can get.

Bernanke
05-02-2017, 02:11 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C33EiLqUcAEOirp.jpg

:rolleyes:

Lewis
05-02-2017, 03:10 AM
The Russia/Vladimir Putin exchange, in which he nonchalantly torches generations' worth of industrialised double-standards, is pretty extraordinary (and true, and lol).

ItalAussie
05-02-2017, 03:51 AM
He doesn't talk like a normal human being. It's like he can't actually process sentences, but just key words. So he picks out the main words in the sentence and then responds with whatever his thoughts are on that, rather than the actual content of the question itself. It's not a one-off; you can see it any time he talks in response to someone.

I honestly don't think he has the attention span to listen to another person saying words for an entire sentence duration.

Shindig
05-02-2017, 09:42 AM
He can no longer communicate in excess of 140 characters.

Also, good on the courts for blocking the appeal.

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Lol at rule of law giving way to rule of emotion.

Think of the insanity of this decision: America is not a sovereign nation with the ability to determine who has the right to enter its borders. It's beyond laughable and they will get swatted in the case of a real court hearing.

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Yep, you've abused your 'cucking privileges'. You don't get to use that word anymore.

http://www.thelocal.se/userdata/images/article/050210a4c9238d237bb800ef3aa3c53ed704fdd3dd4ab4db6e 64a9fe6d244c30.jpg

I'm signing a wildly unfair and highly targeted executive order. If you (mert) use 'cuck', you get warning points.

Amount of points and duration to be decided by me or any other staff member on a whim depending on how obnoxious you're being at any given time.

Lol at those people signing away the future of their nation under th guise of empathy. Their daughters will be at radically increased probability of being subject to sexual violence because of their actions.

Jimmy Floyd
05-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Lol at rule of law giving way to rule of emotion.

It's exactly the opposite.

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 12:23 PM
If he starts challenging the constitooshan like this he's going to be out on his arse very quickly indeed.

It's not challenged. At all. Previous administrations have taken similar action with absolutely no objection.

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
It's exactly the opposite.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. This is Zone 1 of the Youngstown test. Google it.

So America isn't allowed to have borders now? Utter insanity.

Jimmy Floyd
05-02-2017, 12:43 PM
It has borders right now. You can check if you want. El Presidente just has to abide by his own (admittedly dreadful) constitution in issuing orders about them.

The fact that his basis for doing so is demonstrably fictitious and cooked up by old KGB lags should also be of concern to you.

Pepe
05-02-2017, 12:49 PM
So America isn't allowed to have borders now? Utter insanity.

Lol.

John Arne
05-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Wasn't it just 12 months ago that Mert was singing the praises of "checks and balances"?

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 06:02 PM
It has borders right now. You can check if you want. El Presidente just has to abide by his own (admittedly dreadful) constitution in issuing orders about them.

The fact that his basis for doing so is demonstrably fictitious and cooked up by old KGB lags should also be of concern to you.

Wasn't it just 12 months ago that Mert was singing the praises of "checks and balances"?

I am telling you as a law student that this ruling is bananas. And I have plenty of support for it:

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/on-trial-why-trumps-immigration-ban-will-win-over-seattle-judges-nationwide-stay/

http://libertyunyielding.com/2017/02/04/strange-ruling-strange-judge/

randomlegend
05-02-2017, 06:07 PM
I am telling you as a law student

:lol:

John
05-02-2017, 06:08 PM
'Law Newz' :D

Disco
05-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Before he edited it one of those links was hotair.com

Byron
05-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Well the bloke behind it is a lawyer at least.

He also agreed with the FBI's decision to not prosecute Clinton but I'm not sure how Mert feels about that one.

Byron
05-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Can't say much for the fact that the second link has an ad hominem in its title and immediately starts rubbishing him because he's a liberal judge.

Bartholomert
05-02-2017, 06:23 PM
You guys are making laughably ignorant statements about the interpretation of the constitution of a country you don't live in on the basis of your emotional biases against the leader of that country. You guys are pathetic losers from 3rd world shitty countries with an inferior economic system and quality of life, distracting yourself with our politics in the same way 14 year old girls watch Keeping up with the Kardashians. It's a sad attempt to fuel and justify away your own deep inferiority complex about your relative poverty and military impotence.

I hope you realize that.

Jimmy Floyd
05-02-2017, 06:25 PM
We all have somewhere we truly belong. You're grasping for anyone to accept you.

Lewis
05-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Way to not be bothered.

SvN
05-02-2017, 06:28 PM
What a beauty of a post :D

Shindig
05-02-2017, 06:48 PM
:D

Imagine an alternative reality where his Dad moved them to Britain instead. Wearing a Union Jack get-up and trying to laud it over us because he got into Durham (which is just as good as Oxford or Cambridge :dc: )

Kikó
05-02-2017, 06:48 PM
You guys are making laughably ignorant statements about the interpretation of the constitution of a country you don't live in on the basis of your emotional biases against the leader of that country. You guys are pathetic losers from 3rd world shitty countries with an inferior economic system and quality of life, distracting yourself with our politics in the same way 14 year old girls watch Keeping up with the Kardashians. It's a sad attempt to fuel and justify away your own deep inferiority complex about your relative poverty and military impotence.

I hope you realize that.

This is outright mental. :D

phonics
05-02-2017, 06:51 PM
My life's been great since I came to terms with my military incompetence.

Max Power
05-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Pathetic! Sad!

phonics
05-02-2017, 06:52 PM
By the by, this is one of the best worst tweets I've ever seen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C37DrdEWQAAF7dG.jpg:large

I'm not sure what I like more, the representative emojis or the firetruck.

Byron
05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Can we archive posts? Because that's is a brilliant meltdown from Mert :D

Spikey M
05-02-2017, 08:08 PM

I hope you realize that.

You're trying too hard.

Spoonsky
05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Mert's just shitposting as usual. That however is a Last Supper of a shitpost.

Henry
06-02-2017, 09:47 AM
We should continue to remove words from his permitted vocabulary, seeing as it gets us content like that. I suggest "biases" and "inferiority" next.

Mazuuurk
06-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Mert you fucking mook :D

phonics
06-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Speaking of military incompetence has reminded me of a story a guy who was back from Iraq told me. He'd been sent back on medical grounds due to a damaged spine. I asked him how it happened and he told me that one day they were clearing a path through a minefield when a bunch of Americans show up in their humvee shouting that they need to cross the desert in front of them. His group explained that the place was a fucking minefield and that they'd need to wait or go around.

They said fuck that and drove across the field, they barely got 20m before hitting a mine, the door blew off and hit him in the back. He had to go to hospital and quit the service to become private security out there because, in his words, 'If these Yanks are going to get me killed, I'm getting fucking paid.'

phonics
06-02-2017, 04:44 PM
The front page of the China Daily today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C39VETlUcAEE_LX.jpg:large

It's a bloody good drawing of Bannon tbf, don't know why they felt the need to label him.

John Arne
06-02-2017, 05:45 PM
What's the source for that? There's nothing like that on the app, it could still be in the printed edition, of course, I just can't see any reference to it.

phonics
06-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Front page of the print edition apparently. I'll see if I can find the tweet.

On another topic, while I respect John Bercow for being a top, top Gooner, I'd quite like Trump to try do a speech in the commons. If it was anything like PMQs it'd be fucking fantastic watching this orange man get roundly jeered by a bunch of twats.

edit: @John Arne (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=30)

Here's a screen of the app

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3_3mrOUcAACCIE.jpg

Lewis
06-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I see it has taken Guido five minutes to show John Bercow right up. National Treasure.

phonics
06-02-2017, 07:29 PM
He's (Trump) now claiming that the media are covering up terrorist attacks because they love Muslims more than the USA. I'm not even exaggerating.

Spikey M
06-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm sitting on the fence right now tbh

Disco
06-02-2017, 07:39 PM
I assume he then went on to tell us which ones.

Shindig
06-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Someone's going to have to Ol' Yella him at some point.

Bartholomert
06-02-2017, 09:40 PM
He's (Trump) now claiming that the media are covering up terrorist attacks because they love Muslims more than the USA. I'm not even exaggerating.

He's not wrong. But it's not that they love terrorists, it's just they are atheists who love the idea of being 'tolerant' and virtue signaling to fulfill the emotional vacuum in their soul once filled by religious belief. It's essentially a selfish act.

phonics
06-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Simple questions in reply.

What terrorist acts by Muslims have been covered up by the media?

What has Trumps or the Trump administrations comments on the right-wing nationalist who shot up a Mosque just North of the border been?

Bartholomert
06-02-2017, 09:52 PM
How about every single attack? You clearly weren't following the coverage after the Orlando shootings, focusing on how "it has nothing to do with Islam!!!" and "this is an issue of gun control and access to guns by mentally ill individuals!!!" ending with a "don't be racist!!!"

Obama can't even bring himself to say Islamic extremism, because terrorism "has nothing to do with Islam." They obfuscate and ignore the problem. He is right. Have you heard about the recent attacks in Minnesota by Somali immigrants btw? Of course not.

phonics
06-02-2017, 09:53 PM
That's me convinced.

edit: Are you in Europe or the States right now?

Disco
06-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Not so much with the covering up then.

Bartholomert
06-02-2017, 10:01 PM
That's me convinced.

edit: Are you in Europe or the States right now?

I go to law school in the States breh.

John
06-02-2017, 10:02 PM
How about every single attack? You clearly weren't following the coverage after the Orlando shootings, focusing on how "it has nothing to do with Islam!!!" and "this is an issue of gun control and access to guns by mentally ill individuals!!!" ending with a "don't be racist!!!"

Obama can't even bring himself to say Islamic extremism, because terrorism "has nothing to do with Islam." They obfuscate and ignore the problem. He is right. Have you heard about the recent attacks in Minnesota by Somali immigrants btw? Of course not.

That's not covering things up, it's just reporting them differently than Trump, or you apparently, would like.

Have the Somalians been up to anything naughty since that nutter stabbed a few people in a shopping centre?

phonics
06-02-2017, 10:06 PM
I go to law school in the States breh.

I was going to give you a pass for being too drunk to bother giving me examples but that makes it somewhere around 4PM.

Here's what your team is going to do instead

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4AzbdNUEAUXxYV.jpg:large

This is going to lead to them reporting a bunch of 'FBI buys weapons for people and then arrests them for buying weapons' stories. It's hilarious.

Bartholomert
06-02-2017, 10:08 PM
I mean he does have access to classified information, maybe there are a bunch of terror cells being thwarted that we never hear about.

phonics
06-02-2017, 10:12 PM
We've gone from Hilary transferring a few classified e-mails via private server to disclosing top secret counter terrorist information in how many weeks?

Mert, look at the state of it, you have to laugh.

John
06-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Is that a 'no' on the Somalians being up to no good since that one bloke stabbed some people? Something which happened about six months ago and was very well reported on by UK media. Sky even got the 'BREAKING NEWS' banner out for it.

Bartholomert
06-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Is that a 'no' on the Somalians being up to no good since that one bloke stabbed some people? Something which happened about six months ago and was very well reported on by UK media. Sky even got the 'BREAKING NEWS' banner out for it.

Ohio State car attack.

phonics
06-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Wait you skipped my questions!

John
06-02-2017, 10:38 PM
I see. I made the mistake of thinking 'in Minnesota' meant the attack would actually have happened in Minnesota. I keep forgetting that you can't express yourself with any degree of precision.

Disco
06-02-2017, 10:52 PM
I mean he does have access to classified information, maybe there are a bunch of terror cells being thwarted that we never hear about.

If these cells are being thwarted then there were no attacks. This stuff covers itself up.

Shindig
07-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Furthermore, it all happened on Barack's watch so he can't claim credit.

phonics
07-02-2017, 09:04 AM
So instead they released a list of terrorist attacks that have happened. Boring. Shitty distraction from incompetence game.

John Arne
07-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Front page of the print edition apparently. I'll see if I can find the tweet.

edit: @John Arne (http://www.thethirdhalf.co.uk/member.php?u=30)

Here's a screen of the app

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3_3mrOUcAACCIE.jpg

See, I don't want to be that guy... but this is basically the fake news we keep hearing about. Somebody claimed it was on the front page, when actually it appeared in the cartoon section of the English language version of the site, you cuck libtard.