PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

mugbull
11-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Think the most frustrating piece of all this might be all these Democrats who were totally fine with the NSA spying on the populace and droning the fuck out of everyone up until the moment Trump won, at which point it becomes an issue of civil liberties. These people are such arseholes.

Who was cool with the NSA spying?...

phonics
11-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Are you writing for the Mail these days, Lewis? Excellent think-piece.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw_Gj0iWIAAsZlt.jpg:large

phonics
11-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Who was cool with the NSA spying?...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cw_HqM3XUAA8BVU.jpg:large

etc. etc. etc.

mikem
11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
This is very good:

If the left can woo back white voters, it would benefit everyone

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/11/left-woo-white-voters?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Bill Clinton used to do that well. I wonder how.

mugbull
11-11-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't think most of the people who are up in arms about Trump were okay with the NSA shit. But that': not really something that you can democratically change. And you think Trump wouldn't keep the NSA's mandate? Of course he would, if it helped him achieve what he wants. Your point doesn't make any sense.

phonics
11-11-2016, 03:28 PM
This gif was made for that post:

http://replygif.net/i/101.gif

mugbull
11-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Enlighten me then

Mazuuurk
11-11-2016, 04:05 PM
I know everyone are basically expecting the Apocalypse around the corner these days and that the writing and reporting about it can be a bit extreme, like here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-stone/history-tells-us-what-will-brexit-trump_b_11179774.html?

But I keep feeling like people like whoever wrote that above have a point. And with climate change eventually in the coming (what, 10, 20 30?) years forcing more and more people to migrate from where they live (probably poor people) eventually someones just going to kick off.

Being in Europe will suck, when they do. It's smack in the middle of everywhere. I mean the US is fairly isolated, and I guess have like Nuclear deterrents and what not. Russia's the same somehow, it just doesn't feel like anyone will attack them (with any success).

I know, I know, the world's globally connected through the Economy and whatever these days, but fuck, it just doesn't feel like we're gonna get more than maybe 10 more years tops before there's a war between major nations that fucks everything up.

Can't even fuck off to England if the Russians come, as I'll need a bloody Visa or something now I guess.

Bernanke
11-11-2016, 05:06 PM
I know everyone are basically expecting the Apocalypse around the corner these days and that the writing and reporting about it can be a bit extreme, like here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-stone/history-tells-us-what-will-brexit-trump_b_11179774.html?

But I keep feeling like people like whoever wrote that above have a point. And with climate change eventually in the coming (what, 10, 20 30?) years forcing more and more people to migrate from where they live (probably poor people) eventually someones just going to kick off.

Being in Europe will suck, when they do. It's smack in the middle of everywhere. I mean the US is fairly isolated, and I guess have like Nuclear deterrents and what not. Russia's the same somehow, it just doesn't feel like anyone will attack them (with any success).

I know, I know, the world's globally connected through the Economy and whatever these days, but fuck, it just doesn't feel like we're gonna get more than maybe 10 more years tops before there's a war between major nations that fucks everything up.

Can't even fuck off to England if the Russians come, as I'll need a bloody Visa or something now I guess.

Scandinavia is probably the best place to be globally when it comes to rising temperatures. I saw a map for the entire world where a group of scientists had given regions "how bad will it get" from like 0 down to -5, and Scandinavia was one of few regions that actually had a positive number.

We just have to place mines in the Baltic and close the bridge.

Lewis
11-11-2016, 05:17 PM
'Close the bridge! Close the bridge! Close the bridge!'

Shindig
11-11-2016, 07:30 PM
I just look at this upcoming presidency as the world's most powerful man in a position of no strength. He met Obama yesterday, Ryan today and all I can think of him doing is sitting there in an awkward, apologetic silence. He torched a trail to the White House within and without his own party and now he has to sew seeds.

It's Brexit as fuck. "Well, let's keep this git running his mouth on twitter. We're not winning anyway."

Lewis
11-11-2016, 09:02 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/11/what-donald-trump-learned-about-politics-from-pro-wrestling/

President Trump as Ric Flair, 'Hillary' as Roman Reigns. Proper analysis at last.

Yevrah
11-11-2016, 10:13 PM
'Whitelash' really needs to stop. It's absolutely not acceptable.

Boydy
11-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I think it's shit but why?

Jimmy Floyd
11-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Sounds like something the baby boomer cunts would have drunk when they were 17 in the 1970s because everything was brilliant then, and punk.

Shindig
12-11-2016, 07:33 AM
He's keeping Obamacare, then. CUCK!

GS
12-11-2016, 04:29 PM
That was inevitable. There are some parts of it which are popular, and he'll be able to keep them, scrap parts of the bill and then pass it all off as "deal making" which benefits "ordinary Americans".

Lewis
12-11-2016, 04:50 PM
If he ends up being half-decent (which he probably will) it will be as interesting as the win itself, since you would expect it to give every outside/left-field candidate the benefit of the massive doubt and make a virtue of 'inexperience'.

Shindig
12-11-2016, 05:28 PM
That's the thing I take from his cartoony campaign. He played it like someone who's been involved in Reality TV for a decade. He's flipped from Democrat to Republican and, whether he's got much input or not, whatever passes through his Presidency is on his record. I need to know what a real Trump politician would even be.

mikem
12-11-2016, 06:34 PM
'Whitelash' really needs to stop. It's absolutely not acceptable.

Yes. That is what is unacceptable.

What is acceptable?
A president who spent 8 years demanding to see the papers of an African American president.
A president who states that a judge with Mexican heritage (who happened to have had a bounty out on his head by Mexican cartels as a prosecutor) was unable to do his job because of his heritage.
A president who wants a national registry of Muslims to combat domestic terrorism.
A president who thinks it's ok to grab women by the pussy 'cuz they like that if you are rich.

A majority of every demographic section of white America voted for a candidate who said all of those things. It has nothing to do with PC culture or identity politics. It is that the majority of white America is either comfortable with racism or is willing to look the other way. The rights completely forgotten all of this in three days; the left says "be quiet - all that is just identity politics wank." In a month, the fact that the president would not follow the basic rules of civility we demand from kids is forgotten.
It's ok if it is just a campaign stunt.

But let's we scream bloody murder about whitelash.

John
12-11-2016, 06:39 PM
You must a very nervous, jumpy man if you consider that post screaming bloody murder.

GS
12-11-2016, 07:12 PM

What is acceptable?
A president who spent 8 years demanding to see the papers of an African American president.
A president who states that a judge with Mexican heritage (who happened to have had a bounty out on his head by Mexican cartels as a prosecutor) was unable to do his job because of his heritage.
A president who wants a national registry of Muslims to combat domestic terrorism.
A president who thinks it's ok to grab women by the pussy 'cuz they like that if you are rich.

A majority of every demographic section of white America voted for a candidate who said all of those things. It has nothing to do with PC culture or identity politics. It is that the majority of white America is either comfortable with racism or is willing to look the other way. The rights completely forgotten all of this in three days; the left says "be quiet - all that is just identity politics wank." In a month, the fact that the president would not follow the basic rules of civility we demand from kids is forgotten.

People who voted for him don't necessarily share those views. He won the election - it's time to move past this, because citing it after the event (alongside rueful, moralistic head shaking) is a waste of everybody's time.

Bartholomert
12-11-2016, 07:27 PM

What is acceptable?

- A rumor started by Clinton operatives and promoted by Clinton herself
- Same argument made by Justice Sotomayor, one of the most liberal judges on the SCOTUS
- No he didn't
- No he doesn't, he disavowed an offhand comment he made 20 years ago and apologized for it, guys say worse things on a daily basis and he's not wrong anyways

In conclusions, LOL you are an ignorant sheep, cry more cuck.

Bartholomert
12-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Trump hasn't spent a day in office, and already:

- America has withdrawn from TPP
- Mexico has stated its willingness to negotiate on the wall
- Canada has stated its willingness to renegotiate NAFTA
- White working class American concerns are now being frankly acknowledged and discussed in the public arena
- Democrats have rediscovered the importance of the separation of powers and federalism
- Stock market is at record highs
- Russia has stated its willingness to normalize relations

So. Much. Winning.

mikem
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
You must a very nervous, jumpy man if you consider that post screaming bloody murder.

It's hyperbolic.

mikem
12-11-2016, 07:46 PM
People who voted for him don't necessarily share those views. He won the election - it's time to move past this, because citing it after the event (alongside rueful, moralistic head shaking) is a waste of everybody's time.

Of course not, I was very careful to not say they are racist. And I gladly stipulate safe spaces, blah blah blah are all silly.

He will be president, that's fine he won. But you have to remind yourself of obvious stuff or else it becomes normal. At what point does overlooking something turn into being a party to it?

GS
12-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Of course not, I was very careful to not say they are racist. And I gladly stipulate safe spaces, blah blah blah are all silly.

He will be president, that's fine he won. But you have to remind yourself of obvious stuff or else it becomes normal. At what point does overlooking something turn into being a party to it?

It's not that it becomes normal, but I suspect a great number of people are simply fed up with the overwhelming need for political correctness. This is quite good in that regard: http://reaction.life/clinton-smug-liberals-lost-culture-war/?sf

“Transgender restrooms. Transgender bathrooms. All the time. Crazy protests on campus. All the time. Crazy, angry, entitled, spoilt people shouting on your TV about justice and trigger warnings and transgender stuff and hating America and how bad the country is when they’ve no idea what life is really about. While tens of millions of people in those states have real concerns about jobs, pay, about the economy, about their children. And this is the next battle that the radicals want to fight? Abolishing men and women? No. Equality yes. This crap? No. And eventually you think: what the hell is going on in this country? And you vote for the one guy that says enough.”

Trump is unpolished, calls a spade a spade (within reason) and is the sort of man who is prepared to acknowledge that radical Islamic terrorism may, in fact, have something to do with Islam without tiptoeing around the issue. In the present election cycle, that's a virtue. People knew what he said before they cast their vote, and they simply didn't care enough for it to warrant not voting for him.

Rather than continually trying to hammer that point home after the event, as if the 60M+ who voted for him are suddenly going to go "Shit! You're right!", the Democrats (and the wider liberal types) need to take a step back and consider why vast swathes of the country didn't care or actively welcomed his rejection of the politically correct narrative.

Byron
12-11-2016, 08:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs&sns=em

This is quite good I think.

phonics
12-11-2016, 08:36 PM
That bloke is such a massive wanker.

edit: I do hope GS is as gracious as this when ol' Jezza SMASHES THE POLLS.

Lewis
12-11-2016, 09:07 PM
That video would get more traction if he titled it 'Jonathan Pie DESTROYS Liberals'.

Lewis
12-11-2016, 09:28 PM
The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/us/politics/hillary-clinton-james-comey.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0) quotes 'Hillary' claiming that the e-mail thing coming back 'stopped our momentum'. :drool:

GS
12-11-2016, 10:03 PM
That bloke is such a massive wanker.

edit: I do hope GS is as gracious as this when ol' Jezza SMASHES THE POLLS.

If Jezza wins the next election, then he wins the election. He'd do untold damage to the country if he put his ideas into practice, but if that's what people vote for and parliament consents to his legislative programme then so be it. You make sure your side are placed to win next time around by persuading those who voted for him not to. Maybe it's because I'm not a sanctimonious liberal, but I would rather "my side" seek converts - not heretics for lynching because they've dared to vote a different way.

Democracy will also fall apart if any attempt to delegitimise results gains traction. Whether it be Caroline Lucas claiming that "only 24% of people voted for the Tories" as evidence they shouldn't be in charge, or embittered Remain voters claiming that Leave voters "didn't know what they were voting for", or Democrats claiming "Trump didn't win the popular vote", or wankers protesting because the Tories won a majority, or Brexit won etc. etc.

None of that matters. You have campaigns, you have systems in place (whether it be FPTP, the Electoral College, or whatever), everybody knows the score and the voter is accountable to nobody but themselves for how they vote.

Lewis
12-11-2016, 11:55 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/t6y1zd.jpg

For what it is, that is literally perfect.

Bernanke
13-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Trump is apparently the oldest elected president ever. That seems odd to me. There have only been 3 who were above 65 at their inauguration date.

Spammer
13-11-2016, 12:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs&sns=em

This is quite good I think.

From 3:30 onwards especially is just fucking a brilliant. A complete and utter take-down of the crybaby campus college shite that's bandied about as being left wing nowadays. It's just fucking beautiful.

Jimmy Floyd
13-11-2016, 08:49 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/t6y1zd.jpg

For what it is, that is literally perfect.

Last year I said Farage is the chancer's chancer and is just trying to see just how far he can chance it.

Even I didn't think he'd manage to chance it all the way to being top mates with THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. Fair play.

Mazuuurk
13-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Scandinavia is probably the best place to be globally when it comes to rising temperatures. I saw a map for the entire world where a group of scientists had given regions "how bad will it get" from like 0 down to -5, and Scandinavia was one of few regions that actually had a positive number.

We just have to place mines in the Baltic and close the bridge.

I doubt mines will help much if Russia is bombing us.

And also being in the most desirable (at some point) place in the world with the least military defense in the world is bound to only end the one way, sooner or later.

Mazuuurk
13-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Also I read about how the Electoral College works in the US.

Is it just me or shouldn't they just fucking anonymously (those who can) vote for Hillary instead, like that petition said? I mean, those that don't like Trump but are "forced" to vote for him?

GS
13-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Yes, because that wouldn't fundamentally destroy democracy. It's not democracy if you only recognise the results of elections when you agree with them.

Disco
13-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Is it just me or shouldn't they just fucking anonymously (those who can) vote for Hillary instead, like that petition said? I mean, those that don't like Trump but are "forced" to vote for him?

Then there really would be cause for riots.

Magic
13-11-2016, 12:11 PM

:harold:

mugbull
13-11-2016, 12:11 PM
That video was complete garbage. Was the frantic zooming in and zooming out on his face meant to convey another layer of emotion or what?

randomlegend
13-11-2016, 02:30 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/bidenbro/top/

I know it's fucking stupid, but :D

Boydy
13-11-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm really going to miss the Biden memes.

Lewis
13-11-2016, 02:59 PM
The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/us/politics/hillary-clinton-james-comey.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0) quotes 'Hillary' claiming that the e-mail thing coming back 'stopped our momentum'. :drool:

It was the result of a cabal of right-wing agents of the FBI in the New York office attached to Rudy Giuliani, who was a member of Trump’s campaign. I think it’s not unfair to call it a coup.

:harold:

Jimmy Floyd
13-11-2016, 03:02 PM
When The Donald realises he's too thick to be President (has probably already happened), Rudy can step into the breach. How high up on the succession list is Attorney General?

John Arne
13-11-2016, 03:07 PM
I was talking to a mate last night. If someone attempts to impeach Trump, how likely is it that the Republicans won't bother stepping in - rather just hoping that he is impeached - then giving Pence a push and leaving Ryan in charge? All a bit too much?

GS
13-11-2016, 03:41 PM
On what grounds do you a) impeach him and b) successfully get a two-thirds majority so it doesn't look laughably political ala Clinton?

Shindig
13-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Tax fraud.

mugbull
13-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Tax fraud.

I don't think anything he did there was illegal, just immoral.

John Arne
13-11-2016, 03:47 PM
We were a good few beers in at this point, so we didn't really focus on the details.

GS
13-11-2016, 03:49 PM
I see. The Donald pierced the blue wall to win the White House, I doubt the GOP would be forgiven if they knifed him before the end of his term.

Shindig
13-11-2016, 03:49 PM
I don't think anything he did there was illegal, just immoral.

Depends what's on his last return. Or on the books of his campaign funds.

Bernanke
13-11-2016, 03:52 PM
On what grounds do you a) impeach him and b) successfully get a two-thirds majority so it doesn't look laughably political ala Clinton?

Russian connections?

Disco
13-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Russian connections?

But what connections? You can't just impeach him because you don't like him.

GS
13-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Russian connections?

I doubt it, somehow.

He won, lads. There's no point pretending there's somehow a way to avoid four years of President Trump.

Foe
13-11-2016, 04:05 PM
I doubt it, somehow.

He won, lads. There's no point pretending there's somehow a way to avoid four years of President Trump.

Do you think he'll last four years?

If he enacts the shite he was spouting there's no way he isn't targetted. If he doesn't then it's a giant fuck you to the American public and a giant pat on the back for how stupid and niaive they are.

Jimmy Floyd
13-11-2016, 04:07 PM
In reality they'll have to just get the White House team to do literally everything for him, and he can just do the stuff which involves shaking people's hands and going on the telly.

Wonder how dated The West Wing is now :drool:

GS
13-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Do you think he'll last four years?

If he enacts the shite he was spouting there's no way he isn't targetted. If he doesn't then it's a giant fuck you to the American public and a giant pat on the back for how stupid and niaive they are.

I do, yes. He has limited scope to enact domestic legislation without congressional approval. He has executive action, but it's limited. Therefore, anything he is enacts will have the GOP behind him (insofar as they need to be), thus tying them into its success or failure. There's more chance that he resigns the office because he's bored and wants to return to his businesses, than there's a successful impeachment because of his success or otherwise in enacting his campaign promises. Speaking right now, I doubt he wins a second term but fuck knows what'll happen over the course of the next four years.

As an additional point, sneering at the voters who disagree with you hasn't been a particularly successful strategy this year - so it's probably not sensible to cite "stupidity and naivety" as key character traits of his voters. I doubt they give a fuck what you think - and nor should they.

In reality they'll have to just get the White House team to do literally everything for him, and he can just do the stuff which involves shaking people's hands and going on the telly.

Wonder how dated The West Wing is now :drool:

It'll be very interesting to see how it works. I agree that he'll be more the face of the operation, but he'll still ultimately be the man in charge and having to decide what he wants to do. It'd be great fun watching the west FUME if he strikes a deal with Putin.

Shindig
13-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Trump's wall is now a fence. :D

GS
13-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Parts of it are going to be a fence which, if you're serious about building a physical barrier, make sense given there are also huge fucking deserts which people aren't going to be able to get across anyway.

I think everybody needs to stop raking over every little shift or nuancing of policy. It hasn't been a week yet and already everybody is desperate to discredit it - you'll have run out of material by the time 2020 rolls around.

Shindig
13-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Fuck that noise. If we let this slide then we're basically saying we're okay with a campaign run devolving into a farce. Presidents need to be held accountable for what they spout on the trail.

Disco
13-11-2016, 05:39 PM
The wall was a stupid idea from pretty much any angle you want to look at it, the scope will be pared back until it can be quietly forgotten because you'd have to be batshit insane to actually do it. It's already done as much as it's going to do as a talking point during the campaign, better to take some heat for binning it than get crucified for spending billions on a pointless white elephant.

Disco
13-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Fuck that noise. If we let this slide then we're basically saying we're okay with a campaign run devolving into a farce. Presidents need to be held accountable for what they spout on the trail.

They are, they're called elections.

Shindig
13-11-2016, 06:01 PM
If I asked for a wall and got a fence / wall hybrid, I'd be livid. Much like if I enrolled in a college and paid fees, expecting to be educated. Only to find the college mysteriously defunct.

Henry
13-11-2016, 06:40 PM
What's all this about Trump University? People suing him for fraud and it going to trial in December? Among other pending lawsuits apparently.

Shindig
13-11-2016, 07:08 PM
75 pending lawsuits. Some from him, some in his direction. Mostly from the University, sexual assault charges and some campaign funds shenanigans.

GS
13-11-2016, 07:14 PM

I'm sure you're familiar with the refrain "you campaign in poetry, you govern in prose". Such is the democratic process.

It hasn't been a week yet, and if you're going to claim FRAUD! every time there's a more nuanced position taken on something then you're going to have a hell of a four years.

He has four years. There are checks and balances within the system. He has a mandate for those four years. If he doesn't hold to his promises, it will be up to the electorate to decide next time if he deserves another four years or gets replaced. That's accountability.

Lewis
13-11-2016, 07:17 PM
The structure of 'Trump University' (lol) will surely have been designed specifically to prevent people suing President Trump himself.

Bartholomert
13-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Wall is getting built. It's going to be huge.

Spikey M
13-11-2016, 07:36 PM
It's just a good job both countries don't have large coastlines.

Boydy
13-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Wall is getting built. It's going to be yuge.

ftfy

Henry
13-11-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm more worried about the religious maniacs and Randians that Trump is appointing than the man himself at this point.

Bartholomert
13-11-2016, 09:39 PM
I'm more worried about the Patriots who love America Trump is appointing than the man himself at this point.

ftfy

Henry
13-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Do you agree with Mike Pence that the theory of evolution is a hoax, mert?

GS
13-11-2016, 11:05 PM
On a separate point, the EU convening an EMERGENCY meeting to address Trump, in fact, winning the election is a laugh. Boris has refused to go, so at least we look vaguely sensible amidst the alarm.

We should definitely be leveraging Farage's relationship, such as it is, with Trump - it's not as if we have anyone else on the inside. It appears cabinet are split on the issue, presumably between the pragmatists and the virtue signallers.

GS
13-11-2016, 11:06 PM

The last year and a half must be particularly gutting for someone with your political view. The forum is here for you, even if the electorate isn't.

elth
13-11-2016, 11:34 PM
The electorate is there. The Electoral College isn't. Trump can't claim popular validation for his policies, and neither can you. The majority of Americans rejected him.

GS
13-11-2016, 11:36 PM
The electorate is there. The Electoral College isn't. Trump can't claim popular validation for his policies, and neither can you. The majority of Americans rejected him.

That's irrelevant. Both sides knew the system, and both campaigns were specifically tailored to winning the Electoral College. Had they engaged in a straight fight for popular votes, the campaign strategies would've been wildly different and nobody can say how it would have washed out. It's therefore illegitimate to claim he doesn't have a mandate or 'popular validation' - that's just another attempt to delegitimise the result because you don't like it.

Lewis
13-11-2016, 11:39 PM
When you include children and the people who didn't vote it's something like three quarters who rejected him. Once you factor in the dead you're looking at, what, one per cent support for his policies?

mugbull
13-11-2016, 11:41 PM
The Pence criticism is valid though. It's a pretty big problem to have politicians at such high levels who believe these things.

Bartholomert
13-11-2016, 11:57 PM

My girlfriend was taught in medical school that the theory of evolution is only a theory which many reasonably believe is inadequate in explaining the complexities of molecular biology.

The experts also told me that there was a 99% probability Clinton would be elected and scoffed and shamed anyone who deviated from that belief. I think every potential explanation should be explained.

Bartholomert
13-11-2016, 11:59 PM

Eh. Take out New York and California and Trump won the popular vote handily. It would have been an entirely different election, the candidates weren't campaigning to see who would win the popular vote, it's just not a valid analogy.

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:00 AM
The Pence criticism is valid though. It's a pretty big problem to have politicians at such high levels who believe these things.

Yep. If you don't hold the views liberals have decided are acceptable to believe in, you're unfit to hold public office. Makes sense.

SvN
14-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Jesus Christ. I've tried to be restrained and not engage you Mert, but when you start peddling out the "just a theory" line about evolution, then you deserve the ridicule.

Boydy
14-11-2016, 12:05 AM
That's just your theory.

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Jesus Christ. I've tried to be restrained and not engage you Mert, but when you start peddling out the "just a theory" line about evolution, then you deserve the ridicule.

That's what they literally teach at my girlfriends very prestigious medical school, despite the certainty with which the secular media elites have tried to suppress any speculation to the contrary.

Why should I trust the academic establishment's view on anything? They have handily exposed themselves as partisan hacks whose conclusions are influenced just as much by their own ideology as it is any pursuit of objective Truth.

SvN
14-11-2016, 12:10 AM
My girlfriend was taught in medical school that the theory of evolution is only a theory which many reasonably believe is inadequate in explaining the complexities of molecular biology.

The experts also told me that there was a 99% probability Clinton would be elected and scoffed and shamed anyone who deviated from that belief. I think every potential explanation should be explained.

And no they didn't. Noone said that Trump had a 1% chance. The odds on the day of the vote were more like 80/20 in Hillary's favour.

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:11 AM
And no they didn't. Noone said that Trump had a 1% chance. The odds on the day of the vote were more like 80/20 in Hillary's favour.

A survey from the Princeton Election Consortium has found that Hillary Clinton has a 99 per cent chance of winning the election over Donald Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sam-wang-princeton-election-consortium-poll-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-victory-a7399671.html

GS
14-11-2016, 12:11 AM
That's what they literally teach at my girlfriends very prestigious medical school, despite the certainty with which the secular media elites have tried to suppress any speculation to the contrary.

Why should I trust the academic establishment's view on anything? They have handily exposed themselves as partisan hacks whose conclusions are influenced just as much by their own ideology as it is any pursuit of objective Truth.

Don't be dense.

SvN
14-11-2016, 12:15 AM
A survey from the Princeton Election Consortium has found that Hillary Clinton has a 99 per cent chance of winning the election over Donald Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sam-wang-princeton-election-consortium-poll-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-victory-a7399671.html

Since when did one individual count as "the experts"? It was well acknowledged that Hillary was the strong favourite, but noone with any real credibility really thought it was anything close to a 99% certainty. I'm sure you can find some idiot saying Trump had a 99% chance of winning if you look hard enough,

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:18 AM
Liberals aren't driven by a desire to find the truth, only a desire to add credibility to the arguments made by their preferred brand of politics. I don't believe them.

GS
14-11-2016, 12:22 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/106PwpLIIXJnXi/giphy.gif

ItalAussie
14-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Don't react to that. It's clearly baiting. Mert's not that stupid, I'm pretty sure.

I did enjoy Gingrich's quote:

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich, a close adviser to Trump, told the Washington Post: “He’ll spend a lot of time controlling the border. He may not spend very much time trying to get Mexico to pay for it, but it was a great campaign device.”
At least they're honest that you can say anything you want in a campaign, without even having a smidge of intention to follow through. A "campaign device" is even better than John Howard's classic "non-core promise". :D

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:34 AM
The wall was always understood as symbolic, even by his supporters. It's getting built anyways mind you.

Boydy
14-11-2016, 12:34 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/106PwpLIIXJnXi/giphy.gif

:D

ItalAussie
14-11-2016, 12:37 AM
The wall was always understood as symbolic, even by his supporters. It's getting built anyways mind you.

That first part is a lie. He said it would be made of pre-cast concrete, and costed it (incorrectly) at $12 billion. He's talking about a physical wall.

It's rolling back a campaign promise. Which is fine - every politician does it. But don't go rewriting history, either.

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 12:59 AM
That first part is a lie. He said it would be made of pre-cast concrete, and costed it (incorrectly) at $12 billion. He's talking about a physical wall.

It's rolling back a campaign promise. Which is fine - every politician does it. But don't go rewriting history, either.

Not according to the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/many-trump-supporters-dont-believe-his-wildest-promises--and-they-dont-care/2016/06/06/05005210-28c4-11e6-b989-4e5479715b54_story.html

Ian Carney, who works in construction and came to the Albuquerque rally with his girlfriend, described the wall as simply a “rhetorical device” that Trump uses.

“Personally, I think it’s symbolic. I mean, a physical wall?” said Carney, 26. “It’s just such a strong vision and idea, but I just care about the border being secure.”

elth
14-11-2016, 02:07 AM
That's irrelevant. Both sides knew the system, and both campaigns were specifically tailored to winning the Electoral College. Had they engaged in a straight fight for popular votes, the campaign strategies would've been wildly different and nobody can say how it would have washed out. It's therefore illegitimate to claim he doesn't have a mandate or 'popular validation' - that's just another attempt to delegitimise the result because you don't like it.

Nonsense. As are the ideas of mandates - you implement the policies you can implement, nobody owes you anything.

Trump is entitled to attempt to implement anything he wants, he's going to legitimately be the leader. That doesn't mean he wasn't rejected by the majority of Americans who voted, and it doesn't mean sycophants like you can claim popular validation for his platform. It was popularly rejected.

elth
14-11-2016, 02:11 AM
Eh. Take out New York and California and Trump won the popular vote handily. It would have been an entirely different election, the candidates weren't campaigning to see who would win the popular vote, it's just not a valid analogy.

Yeah, and take out the Midwest and Clinton would have won the Electoral College easily as well as the popular vote.

I have no problem with Trump implementing his platform as best he is able, but dickheads like GS justifying demagoguery and reactionary policies on the basis of popularity, when Trump lost the popular vote, have no validity.

ItalAussie
14-11-2016, 02:54 AM
Not according to the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/many-trump-supporters-dont-believe-his-wildest-promises--and-they-dont-care/2016/06/06/05005210-28c4-11e6-b989-4e5479715b54_story.html

We both know that wasn't the view of the majority. It's a symbol, but there was too much tangibility there for it to be solely considered as a metaphor. Again, pre-cast concrete isn't a metaphor. It's construction material. Mexico aren't going to pay for a metaphor. Or probably even a wall; I'm looking forward to seeing Trump's foreign negotiations in action, to be honest. You were certainly talking about it as a physical reality earlier in the thread, and still are to some extent.

EDIT: On the other current topic, I don't really buy into the whole "mandate" thing. You won the election, and you can get legislation through? There's your mandate. Similarly, the other guys got elected too, and can't be expected to stand aside, but rather should do the best they can to work towards their own agenda inasmuch as what political leverage they've got allows them.

ItalAussie
14-11-2016, 03:29 AM
This has to be a joke though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/donald-trump-might-not-live-full-time-in-white-house/

mugbull
14-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Who cares about that? Makes it easier to assassinate him if anything.

phonics
14-11-2016, 08:53 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxL7GAXWEAEJk6O.jpg

lol

Jimmy Floyd
14-11-2016, 09:10 AM
What did he think the President does?

Shindig
14-11-2016, 09:50 AM
He must've genuinely thought this was a part-time job where you delegate shit and then hit the golf course at noon.

phonics
14-11-2016, 10:16 AM
I did see a good piece about how this is going to be the first real job he's had in his life and he'll hate every minute of it which did warm the cockles. That story about him wanting to go home on weekends because he would miss his bed is just embarrassing. Almost like electing a 70 year old man who's never held such a position in his life isn't the best strategy.

GS
14-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, and take out the Midwest and Clinton would have won the Electoral College easily as well as the popular vote.

I have no problem with Trump implementing his platform as best he is able, but dickheads like GS justifying demagoguery and reactionary policies on the basis of popularity, when Trump lost the popular vote, have no validity.

I'm not justifying demagoguery. I'm highlighting that he won, and that's tough shit on everybody else. You don't like his platform? Fine - get a better candidate and run a better campaign within the existing structure to beat him.

The popular vote in presidential elections is irrelevant, outside those looking for a grievance.

Magic
14-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Looking forward to phonics posting Twitter images of everything anti-Trump in this thread for the next 8 years.

GS
14-11-2016, 10:38 AM
We both know that wasn't the view of the majority. It's a symbol, but there was too much tangibility there for it to be solely considered as a metaphor. Again, pre-cast concrete isn't a metaphor. It's construction material. Mexico aren't going to pay for a metaphor. Or probably even a wall; I'm looking forward to seeing Trump's foreign negotiations in action, to be honest. You were certainly talking about it as a physical reality earlier in the thread, and still are to some extent.

EDIT: On the other current topic, I don't really buy into the whole "mandate" thing. You won the election, and you can get legislation through? There's your mandate. Similarly, the other guys got elected too, and can't be expected to stand aside, but rather should do the best they can to work towards their own agenda inasmuch as what political leverage they've got allows them.

Well exactly. You have checks and balances within the system to keep him in check. Use them.

phonics
14-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Looking forward to phonics posting Twitter images of everything anti-Trump in this thread for the next 8 years.

I lol equally at both sides. It's just more fun to laugh at those in power. And with this lot, easier.

Here's one from the other side, like I'm the fucking BBC or something.

Yeldoow
14-11-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm not justifying demagoguery. I'm highlighting that he won, and that's tough shit on everybody else. You don't like his platform? Fine - get a better candidate and run a better campaign within the existing structure to beat him.

The popular vote in presidential elections is irrelevant, outside those looking for a grievance.

You can't change to rules of an election after the fact because you don't like the result. If however you get a result like this (or 2000) that seems to expose a flaw in the way the election is run it's absolutely right to debate that, and if a better system can be found change it for the next election.

You don't have to stick with a flawed system just because that's the way it is.

Jimmy Floyd
14-11-2016, 11:02 AM
If Trump had won the popular vote but Hillary the electoral college, would you be making the same arguments?

I imagine Trump fans would, but not you.

phonics
14-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Considering Trump fans were saying they were going to march on Washington armed due to the election being RIBBED, they probably would, yes.

Yeldoow
14-11-2016, 11:08 AM
If Trump had won the popular vote but Hillary the electoral college, would you be making the same arguments?

I imagine Trump fans would, but not you.

If I were American I wouldn't have voted for either Trump or Clinton so I'm not exactly upset Hillary didn't win.

Whoever is making the argument however the idea should stand on it's own merit, not whether or not you like the person saying it.

GS
14-11-2016, 11:13 AM
You can't change to rules of an election after the fact because you don't like the result. If however you get a result like this (or 2000) that seems to expose a flaw in the way the election is run it's absolutely right to debate that, and if a better system can be found change it for the next election.

You don't have to stick with a flawed system just because that's the way it is.

America is a federal republic. The electoral college a) fixes a state's contribution and b) allows the states to decide the process by which they want to allocate their pre agreed number of electors.

A straight up popular vote loses the federal aspect of America, and I doubt that'd fly.

More importantly, both sides knew the system and ran campaigns designed to win it. Trump did it better. You can't complain about it after the event.

phonics
14-11-2016, 11:31 AM

:facepalm:

Yes, the thing we should learn from this is we need MORE unqualified people running for President.

Yeldoow
14-11-2016, 11:55 AM
America is a federal republic. The electoral college a) fixes a state's contribution and b) allows the states to decide the process by which they want to allocate their pre agreed number of electors.

A straight up popular vote loses the federal aspect of America, and I doubt that'd fly.

More importantly, both sides knew the system and ran campaigns designed to win it. Trump did it better. You can't complain about it after the event.

A straight up popular vote might not be the solution, although I believe 11 states have already passed the National Popular Vote Bill and 12 more are in the process of doing so. So it's not like this debate has suddenly started because of this one election.

The electoral college weighs peoples votes differently depending on which state they are in which would seem to go against the principle of "one person, one vote".

https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/state-residents-per-electoral-college-vote-e1478268802265.jpg?quality=80&w=635

It also disenfranchises voters outside of the swing states. If you live in California it doesn't matter who you vote for, or if you vote at all, the state is going to vote for the democratic candidate.

This also means that the candidates don't have to bother with most of the states when campaigning either.

Campaign events per state. (http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/campaign-events-2016)
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/sites/default/files/map-2016-campaign-events-v1-2016-11-7.jpg
"The data on which this map is based was compiled by FairVote (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Lxw0vc4YBUwQ8cZouyewZvOGg6PyzS2mArWNe3iJcY/edit?usp=sharing). “Campaign events” are defined here as public events in which a candidate is soliciting the state’s voters (e.g., rallies, speeches, fairs, town hall meetings). This count of "campaign events" does not include visits to a state for the sole purpose of conducting a private fund-raising event, participating in a presidential debate or media interview in a studio, giving a speech to an organization’s national convention, attending a non-campaign event (e.g., the Al Smith Dinner in New York City), visiting the campaign's own offices in a state, or attending a private meeting."

It seems from the outside looking in like a pretty poor system. That doesn't guarantee that there is a better one, but it does seem to be a conversation worth having.

It is also perfectly natural that it would become a bigger topic of conversation around an election, especially after one that exposes some of the weaknesses of this system.

Bernanke
14-11-2016, 12:37 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see how the Dems shake out internally after this, and who gets the nom in 2020.

I'm also thinking that The Don might only want to do 4 years and let someone else run for the GOP then which might be even more interesting since establishment politicians are lepers in their primaries, but a large factor in Trumps popularity is his celebrity and having been able to tie it to "success". I can't see another person like that lined up.

Maybe we go full on Silicon Valley, Peter Thiel v Mark Cuban.

Yevrah
14-11-2016, 12:57 PM

:facepalm:

Yes, the thing we should learn from this is we need MORE unqualified people running for President.

I could of course be wrong, but I'd be staggered if there's actually as much to being president as people terrified by the thought of Trump are claiming. As I said a few pages back, I think it will ultimately prove to be too much for Trump to want to continue to be arsed with, but let's not kid ourselves that it's some impossible job that only those with decades of similar experience and the absolute perfect temperament can do.

As for the popular vote, it's completely irrelevant unless that's the criteria on which the result is decided, but rather unbelievably I've seen people citing how unfair it is that Trump won the election without 'winning' that, who also refused to accept the Brexit result on the same grounds five months ago.

Yevrah
14-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Oh and I should add, if Tom Hanks (or more likely George Clooney) ever felt compelled to run, they'd absolutely walk it.

Lewis
14-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Tom Hanks is barely political, and George Clooney is a whopper. They should just find another brown person or the one bloke they have in Texas (or 'Bernie' mate).

Jimmy Floyd
14-11-2016, 01:03 PM
America is too big for the overall popular vote to mean anything. If you did it on total votes, it would just be an endless parade of Democrats trying to maximise turnout in California/New York and Republicans trying to do the same in their heartlands. Nobody would ever encounter any form of debate or ever attempt to convince sceptics of their candidate's merits, and it would be even more 'divisive' than this election.

phonics
14-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Nobody would ever encounter any form of debate or ever attempt to convince sceptics of their candidate's merits

Have you seen the last 8 years?

Disco
14-11-2016, 01:29 PM
"Being President, how hard can it be?" must be one of lollest things to come out of this.

Henry
14-11-2016, 01:37 PM
LOL at mert lapsing into evolution-denialism.

Steve Bannon appointed to a leading role.

But everything's going to be okay.

Pepe
14-11-2016, 01:53 PM
When does Bernie's revolution begin? Have some stuff to do before joining.

GS
14-11-2016, 02:39 PM
A straight up popular vote might not be the solution, although I believe 11 states have already passed the National Popular Vote Bill and 12 more are in the process of doing so. So it's not like this debate has suddenly started because of this one election.

The electoral college weighs peoples votes differently depending on which state they are in which would seem to go against the principle of "one person, one vote".

https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/state-residents-per-electoral-college-vote-e1478268802265.jpg?quality=80&w=635

It also disenfranchises voters outside of the swing states. If you live in California it doesn't matter who you vote for, or if you vote at all, the state is going to vote for the democratic candidate.

This also means that the candidates don't have to bother with most of the states when campaigning either.

Campaign events per state. (http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/campaign-events-2016)
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/sites/default/files/map-2016-campaign-events-v1-2016-11-7.jpg
"The data on which this map is based was compiled by FairVote (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Lxw0vc4YBUwQ8cZouyewZvOGg6PyzS2mArWNe3iJcY/edit?usp=sharing). “Campaign events” are defined here as public events in which a candidate is soliciting the state’s voters (e.g., rallies, speeches, fairs, town hall meetings). This count of "campaign events" does not include visits to a state for the sole purpose of conducting a private fund-raising event, participating in a presidential debate or media interview in a studio, giving a speech to an organization’s national convention, attending a non-campaign event (e.g., the Al Smith Dinner in New York City), visiting the campaign's own offices in a state, or attending a private meeting."

It seems from the outside looking in like a pretty poor system. That doesn't guarantee that there is a better one, but it does seem to be a conversation worth having.

It is also perfectly natural that it would become a bigger topic of conversation around an election, especially after one that exposes some of the weaknesses of this system.

Again, you overlook the federal aspect of American political structures. Your better bet would be the states deciding it's not winner take all.

If you moved to a popular vote system, you'd see significant disparity in state contribution (varying heavily on in-state turnout).

More importantly, there would be huge focus in urban areas. Half the population live in 169 counties, and you'd see rural issues ignored as the focus turns out to driving up turnout in the cities.

Neither system is perfect. However, the electoral college maintains the integrity of the federal model and requires the candidates to address a range of issues. The former is the key point, however. It's a federal republic, and the electoral college recognises this.

Yeldoow
14-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Again, you overlook the federal aspect of American political structures. Your better bet would be the states deciding it's not winner take all.

If you moved to a popular vote system, you'd see significant disparity in state contribution (varying heavily on in-state turnout).

More importantly, there would be huge focus in urban areas. Half the population live in 169 counties, and you'd see rural issues ignored as the focus turns out to driving up turnout in the cities.

Neither system is perfect. However, the electoral college maintains the integrity of the federal model and requires the candidates to address a range of issues. The former is the key point, however. It's a federal republic, and the electoral college recognises this.

I'm not overlooking the federal aspect, as I said a straight up popular vote might not be the solution. I am simply pointing out some of the flaws of the existing system.

I'm not advocating for any specific system to replace the electoral college as I haven't given it enough thought nor do I know enough about the many different electoral systems you could you use to declare I have the solution. I am advocating a proper debate to try and find a better system as the current one is flawed.

I'm not a fan of any kind of FPTP system either and just going directly to the popular vote props up the two party system just as much as the current one does. So it's not inconceivable to me that no better system can be found, but I think it's worth looking into.

I think in the end the states get their representation in the senate and house of representatives. The president is one person, one figurehead and it makes sense to me that they should be directly elected by the population of the country as a whole. Although I would have thought some kind of STV system would be better than FPTP. As I say though I am not married to that opinion and am open to being convinced otherwise.

Pepe
14-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Dear all,

I write to you after a tumultuous and challenging week. Many of us have felt disappointed, dismayed, and even frightened by recent events, while others have doubtless felt satisfied and vindicated by the outcome of our national, statewide, and local elections. Perhaps a common thread in our experience is a sense of disorientation, as we wait to see what our nation will become. The question is by no means trivial, as our Constitution is currently experiencing stresses that, if they do not break it, threaten profoundly to reshape it.

If you are worried, please know that I am worried with you. As someone who has studied the rise of fascism, I am worried for our country. I am worried for myself and my spouse, as gay men and Jews, thus members of two newly vulnerable groups. I am worried for our three sons, all of whom were born abroad and none of whom has white skin, and about how they will navigate a world of resurgent nativism and racism. And I am worried for those of you whose sense of calm and safety has yielded instead to anxiety and alarm.

Our department is a wonderful microcosm of what I believe most of us would like America to be. We are among the most diverse units at this university, by gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, socio-economic background, religion. At the same time, for all our diversity, we are united by a common commitment to civil discourse, to respect for difference, and in a civic faith according to which hard work will lead to constructive change.

Beyond that, we believe, and will continue to believe, in the value of the pursuit of truth. Too much of our political discourse over the past generation has been tainted by a pernicious breakdown in the wall dividing facts from opinion. Many of our politicians have practiced a strategy whereby if you repeat an opinion enough times, purveying it as fact, people will come to accept it as fact. It is the responsibility of liberal education, to which we are all committed, to militate against this trend.

Our department will continue to advocate for those who need advocacy, and it will continue to model a world that embraces difference, welcomes the immigrant, and practices mutual respect even in the face of stark disagreement. I hope you all will continue to believe that our community offers a safe haven in stormy times.

XXXX
Professor of Italian and Chair
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures

​Thank you sooo much for your wise words! I feel I am living in a nightmare and I cannot wake up. I had to face our distressed WU students this week, one of my classes all crying and in disbelieve, had to reschedule exams because students were emotionally not fit to take them, and had to console many in my office. I had to talk to terrified Latino students we serve in our STL community through my community work and through our WU Community Service program with WU students, and we had to calm fear, despair, and lack of hope this week and I am sure we will have to do it in the following weeks as well. The only way is to protect each other from discrimination / injustice of any kind and keep fighting for justice, fairness, the truth, and a civil and equal society for all. We do have each other, and on that account, I believe we will survive these challenging 4 years ahead of us. Thank you again
Coordinator of Latino Youth Mentoring Programs
Romance Languages & Literatures Department

:happycry:

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 04:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxL7GAXWEAEJk6O.jpg

lol

Yes I'm sure these anonymous forces are totally trustworthy and not fueled by a desire to contribute to the larger narrative being painted by the media :rolleyes:

Jimmy Floyd
14-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Every time someone makes a list of 'ethnicity, gender, race, sexual orientation...' a small child is murdered and cannibalised by Donald Trump. It's second only in my pet peeves to 'I can't believe that this is still happening in [the current year]'.

Lewis
14-11-2016, 04:47 PM
:happycry:

You should have replied to the second one with '*8 years'.

Pepe
14-11-2016, 04:48 PM

They were not addressed to me unfortunately. I will suggest it though.

Bartholomert
14-11-2016, 04:50 PM
I don't understand these losers, what do you think is going to happen? We are going to send illegal immigrants back and uphold rule of law...why is that so scary to you?

phonics
14-11-2016, 04:52 PM

lol

7om
14-11-2016, 05:14 PM
:drool:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2176128/the-most-ridiculous-donald-trump-conspiracy-theory-yet-claims-the-president-elect-was-actually-born-in-pakistan/

Boydy
14-11-2016, 08:09 PM
David Miliband set to return to the UK after Trump victory- sparking rumours of Corbyn leadership challenge (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-miliband-set-return-uk-9249884)

The former foreign secretary was reportedly hoping for a position in a Hillary Clinton White House

GS
14-11-2016, 10:40 PM
David Miliband - the man taking home hundreds of thousands of dollars from a charitable enterprise, largely because he took his ball home when he didn't win the match.

Imagine the horror of a David Miliband Premiership.

Boydy
14-11-2016, 10:57 PM
It'll never happen, thankfully.

Lewis
14-11-2016, 11:00 PM
The over-promotion of David Miliband is a bizarre phenomenon. What has he ever done to suggest to anybody that he isn't a complete berk?

Shindig
14-11-2016, 11:02 PM
I dunno. He always stood by his brother which made him look great by comparison.

GS
14-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Well, he didn't. He refused to join his shadow cabinet, resigned from parliament and has made snide little digs ever since. Ed Miliband stabbed his brother in the front, not the back, which is more commendable than the way David Miliband has been getting on.

Still, I suppose it doesn't matter when you're being paid a huge wedge of money each year that should, if you're running a charity, be going to people who actually need it.

Lewis
14-11-2016, 11:04 PM
I would actually say he's the shit Miliband.

GS
14-11-2016, 11:05 PM
I agree.

Still, Labour are always going to be looking for the saviour. Think Kevin Keegan turning up at Newcastle in 2008.

Boydy
14-11-2016, 11:07 PM
He's a bit like Hillary Clinton. Was expected to have a coronation of sorts following a big name and then lost in pretty funny, unpredictable fashion.

Boydy
14-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Well, he didn't. He refused to join his shadow cabinet, resigned from parliament and has made snide little digs ever since. Ed Miliband stabbed his brother in the front, not the back, which is more commendable than the way David Miliband has been getting on.

Still, I suppose it doesn't matter when you're being paid a huge wedge of money each year that should, if you're running a charity, be going to people who actually need it.

I think he means literally standing by his brother made him look good.

Shindig
15-11-2016, 07:33 AM
I do. Gold star for Boydy.

Jimmy Floyd
15-11-2016, 08:41 AM
A Tony Blair comeback would be more plausible than a David Miliband comeback.

niko_cee
15-11-2016, 10:43 PM
John Bolton for Secretary of State? Fucking hell.

Boydy
15-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Remember when we were all like 'even if he does win, he'll be kept in check by all the people around him'?

So much for that with all these fucking maniacs he's appointing.

Shindig
15-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Fuck it. Burn it all. Then we roll in with tanks and the kind of special relationship that operates like Magic's marriage.

Jimmy Floyd
15-11-2016, 11:27 PM
John Bolton :D

What a lad.

Pepe
15-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Don't worry, Rand (:cool:) is on the case.

phonics
15-11-2016, 11:45 PM
"America is sick of this interventionism!"

*appoints the most hawkish hawk to ever hawk the hawk* (outside Hilary, obvslol)

Spammer
16-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Don't worry, Rand (:cool:) is on the case.

Ayn Rand?

Well, now I've heard everything.

Spoonsky
16-11-2016, 09:28 AM
"I'm sick of choosing the lesser of two evils!"

*hopes that Rudy Giuliani will become Secretary of State*

phonics
16-11-2016, 09:34 AM

The finalists :D Like it's Total Wipeout.

Spammer
16-11-2016, 09:48 AM
The finalists. Fucking hell :D

Bernanke
16-11-2016, 10:17 AM
Apparently the Trump team still hasn't been in contact with Pentagon or the DoD. He has had more contact with Putin than the military he will be running. :D

Lewis
16-11-2016, 12:23 PM
They need to take that Twitter off him when it starts. He was lolling at failing newspapers the other day.

phonics
16-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Still is

He literally speaks like a small child.

Lewis
16-11-2016, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0Rjc6jKCg

lol

Byron
16-11-2016, 01:51 PM
I have spoken to many foreign leaders, so many you wouldn't believe how many I've spoken to. They're the best as well

They really do need to manage his Twitter, because if he's lolling at SNL at 3am while in charge of one of the world's superpowers, then think of how much North Korea could wind him up.

Pepe
16-11-2016, 02:10 PM
Obama got donned shitless.

Spoonsky
16-11-2016, 02:19 PM
They need to take that Twitter off him when it starts. He was lolling at failing newspapers the other day.

Please no. His twitter is a shining light in these dark days.

bruhnaldo
16-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Many foreign leaders.

Max Power
16-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Enjoyed Ben Carson saying he didn't want a cabinet spot because he doesn't have "government experience". You ran for President mate.

Bernanke
16-11-2016, 02:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT0Rjc6jKCg

lol

How is this not in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

"Sorry to laugh."

Lewis
16-11-2016, 02:56 PM
It's mainly for the Ann Coulter bit.

Bartholomert
16-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Pence just fired every lobbyist on the transition team, this could actually lead to substantive change:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/306309-pence-removes-lobbyists-from-trump-transition-team

Mazuuurk
16-11-2016, 03:21 PM
I still struggle to fathom that all this is actually real. I know I'm probably in a filter bubble and only being fed all the negative and outrageous, absurd things Trump has been saying and doing, but I'm yet to see him seem sensible in a single clip. Even his "gracious" acceptance speech was pretty weird if you think about it, and the way he just moves and talks is comedy in itself.

I'll tell ya, I'm so so so happy to be president. Now who's wrong and whos right and who wasn't right? I'll tell ya, it was me who was right and I'll tell ya who was wrong, it was them. And I was so so right. And now we're winning and they are losing, I'll tell ya.

Bartholomert
16-11-2016, 03:32 PM
I still struggle to fathom that all this is actually real. I know I'm probably in a filter bubble and only being fed all the negative and outrageous, absurd things Trump has been saying and doing, but I'm yet to see him seem sensible in a single clip. Even his "gracious" acceptance speech was pretty weird if you think about it, and the way he just moves and talks is comedy in itself.

I'll tell ya, I'm so so so happy to be president. Now who's wrong and whos right and who wasn't right? I'll tell ya, it was me who was right and I'll tell ya who was wrong, it was them. And I was so so right. And now we're winning and they are losing, I'll tell ya.

You and your kind lost cuck, America will be saved for at least my children's generation. Wake up before your country is completely overrun and transformed into a third world shithole. Your women are being raped in unprecedented numbers and can't go outside alone at night in safety, and you'd rather be politically correct (and feel selfishly emotionally fulfilled) rather than address the problem. You are a traitor to your people.

Your media is filled with liars, working to promote a very particular agenda, they are not concerned with any objective pursuit of Truth. And you are a pathetic sheep falling for their lies even as reality itself contradicts their narrative.

Pepe
16-11-2016, 03:39 PM
There we go again. :D

mugbull
16-11-2016, 03:58 PM
I know Mert "trolls" us more than he does real life, which is why I never respond to anything he says, but I've seen a lot of other Trumpies talk in real life the same way he talks here. It's fucking scary. A bunch of people have drunk the Kool Aid and are willing to justify absolutely anything. If we ever got into a war they'd be the most willing 3rd Reich acolytes. Thankfully our "institutions" are strong enough to prevent real damage (:dirk:)

Jimmy Floyd
16-11-2016, 04:00 PM
I like to think that if John Bolton decides to bomb Spain or whatever their next war is, we'd have the good sense to stay the fuck out of it this time.

Actually, if it's Spain I'd be well up for a bit of spoils warfare. We'll have the Balearics.

randomlegend
16-11-2016, 04:01 PM
And you are a pathetic sheep falling for their lies even as reality itself contradicts their narrative.

I know Americans don't understand irony, but still.

Offshore Toon
16-11-2016, 04:21 PM
It does seem a bit odd that in a parallel universe Mert is running riot in Germany/Sweden/the Midlands.

phonics
16-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Just me or is it often the people that call others sheep that are most likely to just repeat their sides talking points over and over again?

John Arne
16-11-2016, 05:01 PM
I had a feeling you'd say that.

Henry
16-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Steve Bannon is a white supremacist.
John Bolton was perhaps the most warmongering member in a Bush Administration that also included Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. Last year he called for the bombing of Iran.
Mike Pence believes that evolution is a hoax, that women should be forced to hold funerals for their abortions and that gays should seek out conversion therapy.
Rudi Guliani favours police using extralegal powers to combat crime, electronically tracking people who the police think may commit a crime, and thinks that freedom is defined by the "willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do".

Nothing can go wrong when these guys run the world. Nothing.

Pepe
16-11-2016, 05:12 PM
It's ok, The Donald will keep them in check.

Disco
16-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Enjoyed Ben Carson saying he didn't want a cabinet spot because he doesn't have "government experience". You ran for President mate.

Wasn't he the one who entered because he wanted to promote his new book? I guess it's better than going on Jonathan Ross, lol at him being offered a job, he must have wondered what the fuck was going on.

Lewis
16-11-2016, 06:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxZyYFgWIAAd_L8.jpg

:drool:

Henry
16-11-2016, 06:47 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/306336-sanders-named-to-senate-leadership-post

A small bit of good news.

Offshore Toon
16-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Sanders is a complete bitch. Speaking of bitches, somebody should show this back to Obama. Go to 20 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1NGWM8gP8&t=0m20s

Shindig
16-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Trump taking advice from his son-in-law is such a beta move.

Mazuuurk
16-11-2016, 08:26 PM
You and your kind lost cuck, America will be saved for at least my children's generation. Wake up before your country is completely overrun and transformed into a third world shithole. Your women are being raped in unprecedented numbers and can't go outside alone at night in safety, and you'd rather be politically correct (and feel selfishly emotionally fulfilled) rather than address the problem. You are a traitor to your people.

Your media is filled with liars, working to promote a very particular agenda, they are not concerned with any objective pursuit of Truth. And you are a pathetic sheep falling for their lies even as reality itself contradicts their narrative.

I've no idea what you're on about to be honest. Me and "my kind"? What exactly is that? I don't live in America, I didn't in any way participate in it's election so I neither won nor lost.

ItalAussie
16-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Appointing John Bolton pretty much ensures that America are going to intervene somewhere new and exciting, at least.

So much for isolationism.

Bernanke
16-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Trump is the only world leader denying climate change. It's a pdf but it's a fun read.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/uploads-wysiwig/TrumpVsWorld.pdf

Some quotes, first from The Don himself:

“Well, it’s a hoax. I think the scientists are having a lot of fun.”

Then we have Vlad P:

“One of these problems is certainly that of limiting organic emissions and keeping global warming within an increase to two degrees Celsius. I think this is a realistic plan and we are prepared to work on this together with our partners.”

Then we get to... Kim Jong-Un:

Speaking on behalf of Leader Kim, North Korea’s Foreign Minister said that his government would complete a large-scale tree-planting initiative over the next decade, which will help the “national effort to mitigate climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions”. Subsequently, North Korea signed the Paris climate agreement on April 22.

Kind of amazing honestly. The US as a whole really is incredibly backwards on this issue:

http://i.imgur.com/xQkNHj0l.png

Offshore Toon
16-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Obviously the Chinese mostly agree. It's their fault.

phonics
16-11-2016, 10:17 PM
It's almost as if their country was hit the hardest with propaganda from large oil companies.

Jimmy Floyd
16-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Interesting that the Anglosphere says no on the subject. Fairly shoddy performance even from Canada given that they're all a bunch of tree huggers.

phonics
16-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Interesting that the Anglosphere says no on the subject. Fairly shoddy performance even from Canada given that they're all a bunch of tree huggers.

BP + NIMBYs

Jimmy Floyd
16-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Yeah, but you'd think there'd be a few more pas-dans-mon-jardin-de-derrière as well.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Lol at thinking global warming is man made, it's the same crowd that thought Clinton was going to get elected.

John Arne
17-11-2016, 07:05 AM
I had a BBQ chicken pizza for lunch. Was top notch.

Shindig
17-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Lol at thinking global warming is man made, it's the same crowd that thought Clinton was going to get elected.

It is man-made. At the very least, it's accelerated by our growth as a species. Although the growth rate has slowed, we're living longer. To say an extra 6bn people haven't had an environmental impact in the last century is ignorant. What's the alternative? The sun's getting hotter?

Mazuuurk
17-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Mert, you have seen this, rigth?

https://xkcd.com/1732/

If you don't think that's a good source for these things, which I suppose is fair enough, you can have a look here:
http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

It's a bit funny how someone like Trump wouldn't even trust NASA on the topic, one of the US' staple "American & Proud" institutions.

ItalAussie
17-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Ah, the joys of a post-fact political landscape.

Bernanke
17-11-2016, 12:13 PM
I found it amusing that Oxford Dictionary's word of the year is "post-truth".

Jimmy Floyd
17-11-2016, 12:15 PM
'Post-truth' is a complete fiction of a concept, borne as everything is these days out of the moral high ground that the liberal left thinks it has. People have always voted in elections based on things other than facts and statistics, and there is absolutely no reason why they should be expected not to.

'Evidence-based' means nothing more than 'Agrees with me'.

phonics
17-11-2016, 12:49 PM
There's a difference between what you say above and

"I never said that"
"I'm directly quoting you"
"Never said it"
"Here's video of you saying it"
"Nope"

Boydy
17-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Everyone should watch HyperNormalisation on iPlayer.

phonics
17-11-2016, 12:54 PM
I thought it was a bit crap tbh. It felt like he turned that 5 minute piece from Newswipe about Putin into a 2 hour documentary.

Lewis
17-11-2016, 12:55 PM
https://www.usgs.gov/news/usgs-estimates-20-billion-barrels-oil-texas-wolfcamp-shale-formation

Warm that.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Mert, you have seen this, rigth?

https://xkcd.com/1732/

If you don't think that's a good source for these things, which I suppose is fair enough, you can have a look here:
http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

It's a bit funny how someone like Trump wouldn't even trust NASA on the topic, one of the US' staple "American & Proud" institutions.

NASA has been captured by life-time academic shills like Ital who buy blindly into the progressive narrative because it gives them a sense of belonging and acceptance for the first time in their nerdy lives.

These people are all liars and partisan hacks. I will be vindicated just as I was with Trump, but sure keep deluding yourself. Sweden will cease to exist as a country with a distinct people within 20-30 years anyways so you are irrelevant / will soon be annihilated.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Ah, the joys of a post-fact political landscape.

You mean like the fact that Obamacare would work (even though we said it wouldn't) or that all the polls showed Clinton winning in a landslide (there wasn't a single 'reputable' polling company that predicted a Trump victory) or that mass immigration would help the economy or that multiculturalism was a positive and enriching development for Western societies?

Those facts? The Left is completely discredited, their 'facts' are nothing more than emotional assertions of what they wished Reality would emulate.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Has Ital come out as gay/female yet?

ItalAussie
17-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Arrhenius figured out climate change in 1896. He's been shown correct repeatedly ever since.

There's another one where we went through all this climate trolling before. In the interests of not doing it all over again, take it there.

Boydy
17-11-2016, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Arrhenius figured out climate change in 1896. He's been shown correct repeatedly ever since.

There's another one where we went through all this climate trolling before. In the interests of not doing it all over again, take it there.

"[Arrhenius] was a board member for the Swedish Society for Racial Hygiene (founded 1909)..."

So you're relying on Nazis / eugenicists to make your arguments for you now Ital?

phonics
17-11-2016, 08:46 PM
You called a Nazi an American patriot the other day so you're on at best equal footing.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 08:53 PM
You called a Nazi an American patriot the other day so you're on at best equal footing.

Please find me any quotes Bannon has made which are racist in nature. I can wait.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Denmark to up military spending, PM says after Trump call:

https://www.google.com/amp/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN13B2MI?client=safari

What happened to the cucks saying threatening to leave NATO was insanity, seems to me Trump was 100% right? Lol at the Left / professional politicians / dishonest media, just utterly and completely discredited.

phonics
17-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm on 2g can someone Google Steve Bannon Asian CEOs please?

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 09:04 PM
"[Arrhenius] was a board member for the Swedish Society for Racial Hygiene (founded 1909)..."

So you're relying on Nazis / eugenicists to make your arguments for you now Ital?

That's some top Ad Hominem right there.

Adamski
17-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Like hygiene optional Turks will survive Trumpamania :harold:

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Like hygiene optional Turks will survive Trumpamania :harold:

I am 0% ethnic Turk try harder sub-human

SvN
17-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Really? You don't look white. What are you?

phonics
17-11-2016, 09:26 PM
I've got a mate who is 100% white and claims he's black because his Grandmother is from Surinam. I'm assuming the same thing here. IIRC though his Dad claims he's Albanian or something far more respectable.

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Armenian Kurd I believe he said.

phonics
17-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Ah yeah, the Kurd thing makes his love for the Turkish flag completely understandable.

Spikey M
17-11-2016, 09:36 PM
He's a cluster fuck of confused ideologies so at least he's consistent in his inconsistency.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Really? You don't look white. What are you?

Circassian (but "Kurdish" because that's where the ruling class comes from ethnically) + Armenian

7om
17-11-2016, 09:40 PM
My 'Make America Great Again' cap fits beautifully, just in case anyone was wondering.

Adamski
17-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Circassian (but "Kurdish" because that's where the ruling class comes from ethnically) + Armenian

Yep Kurdish is loads better. You'll be fine with the racists :harold: :harold:

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Yep Kurdish is loads better. You'll be fine with the racists :harold: :harold:

I have no Kurdish ethnic background. My dad was blonde as a kid and has green eyes, my grandmother is blonde blue eyed. My Armenian mother is much darker than my dad. I'm considered White in America, most people assume I'm some sort of Eastern European/Jewish/Italian mix.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2cmm813.jpg

Adamski
17-11-2016, 10:04 PM
You looked thinner and less foreign in the first pic.

Lewis
17-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Them fucking boots.

Shindig
17-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Anyone who refers to their relatives exclusively in eye colour is definitely a war criminal.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Anyone who refers to their relatives exclusively in eye colour is definitely a war criminal.

My name sake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkan

Pepe
17-11-2016, 10:14 PM
My 'Make America Great Again' cap fits beautifully, just in case anyone was wondering.

Wear it to the next meet. I saw someone with a 'deplorable as fuck' tshirt during the weekend. Considering how close we were from campus, at least a thousand persons must have been 'triggered.'

Them fucking boots.

Proper frat.

Bartholomert
17-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I once wore this shirt to a small social gathering of my peers, but it was a safe space:

https://d2w04addmnh2aq.cloudfront.net/api/file/WcVQZKPARGG8qg3jOyX6

Adamski
17-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Post a pic of you wearing it.

phonics
17-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I thought asking for quotes pointing out Bannon was a neo-nazi was weird seeing as it's quite clear. Him then citing his father as not the wrong sort due to his hair and eye colour. Christ. What happened in the last 10 - 20 years or so to cause this? It's definitely not the war stuff because Henry Kissinger and John Bolton are being considered the norm. What happened?

Pepe
18-11-2016, 02:06 AM
Lol part 2 million:

November 17, 2016

Mark S. Wrighton, Chancellor
Holden Thorp, Provost

Dear Chancellor Wrighton and Provost Thorp,

In the wake of the recent Presidential election, we - the undersigned students, faculty and workers – urge you to take immediate action to make Washington University in St. Louis a sanctuary campus for students, staff and their family members who face deportation or are otherwise made vulnerable by President-elect Donald Trump.

The President-elect has campaigned on promises to deport millions of undocumented immigrants, which poses an imminent threat to members of our university community. In addition, Muslims, black people, LGBTQ* people, people with disabilities, and all people of color have been subjected to an increase in hate crimes and are in need of protection. With many of our classmates, professors, and workers under unprecedented risk, now is the time for action. We call upon the University to immediately create and implement a protocol for making itself a sanctuary campus.

Washington University has prided itself on a commitment to diversity and inclusion. Our mission statement promises to welcome students, faculty and staff from all backgrounds to create an inclusive community and a campus accessible to all. This past week, Chancellor Wrighton pledged in a university-wide email to “continue to make progress in enhancing diversity in our community and in creating an environment where all feel welcome.” Students across the country are calling for their universities to be made sanctuary campuses. We urge the University to take heed of the Chancellor’s words and lead by example.

A 2011 internal memo from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) places restrictions on officers from entering sensitive locations, such as college campuses. Specifically, arrests, interviews, searches, and surveillance are prohibited from occurring at sensitive locations. This memo gives the University a unique opportunity to protect its undocumented community members from law enforcement. We urge the University to investigate these regulations and declare itself a sanctuary campus.

https://www.ice.gov/doclib/ero-outreach/pdf/10029.2-policy.pdf

We write in solidarity with undocumented and otherwise endangered members of our community and with students across the country who have called upon their schools to take similar action. As Chancellor Wrighton stated, Washington University in St. Louis “has been a place where knowledge is unearthed, problems are identified and solutions are found.” We hope our university will take immediate action to uphold its commitment to diversity, inclusion, and the public good by protecting the safety of all members of our community. We look forward to working with you to develop such measures.

Signed,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdp1IrOUXxWpWXtJL2w699iBIs2MtYrtPpLjMUzK5d6 rYfT1g/viewform?c=0&w=1&edit_requested=true

Meanwhile the efforts to create a student union go largely ignored. Talk about misplaced 'liberal' ideals.

Pepe
18-11-2016, 02:07 AM
THE DONALD is coming to get us!

*pisses his pants.*

ItalAussie
18-11-2016, 03:05 AM

:D If you can't play the ball...

Plenty of great science was done by awful people. Arrhenius was probably the first scientist to really understand what an acid is. Smart dude.

EDIT: My old boss once reviewed a paper written by a convicted murderer. Fun fact.

John Arne
18-11-2016, 03:13 AM
NASA has been captured by life-time academic shills like Ital who buy blindly into the progressive narrative because it gives them a sense of belonging and acceptance for the first time in their nerdy lives.

These people are all liars and partisan hacks. I will be vindicated just as I was with Trump, but sure keep deluding yourself. Sweden will cease to exist as a country with a distinct people within 20-30 years anyways so you are irrelevant / will soon be annihilated.

Distorting opinions based on evidence is one thing- actually questioning the statistical evidence itself is quite another. Together with the fact that some 98% Climate Scientists are in agreement on this - you aren't winning this one, with Trump or without him.

Surely you accept with the numbers being presented - which, assuming you do (only an idiot wouldn't), you therefore accept/agree that there is a substantial anomalous increase during the past 40 years and that something has to be done to counter this regardless of whether it is man-made or not.... we can't just sit by and observe this.

John Arne
18-11-2016, 03:14 AM
EDIT: My old boss once reviewed a paper written by a convicted murderer. Fun fact.

Something you aren't telling us, Ms Ital?

mugbull
18-11-2016, 04:02 AM
Lol part 2 million:

Meanwhile the efforts to create a student union go largely ignored. Talk about misplaced 'liberal' ideals.

Goddamn dude. "Sanctuary cities" is a shit name but it's a totally justified type of protest if you believe that deportation is a fucked up policy proposal. It's actually something with tangible benefits, and at the very least forces local governments to make a decision about how closely theyre going to follow federal laws. Don't lump it in with all the other shit.

Bartholomert
18-11-2016, 06:37 AM
:D If you can't play the ball...

Plenty of great science was done by awful people. Arrhenius was probably the first scientist to really understand what an acid is. Smart dude.

For the record I don't think it discredits his work at all, that was just the times. I also think that while there is a strongly political component to the promotion of the global warming agenda ...there probably is some truth to it. However, instead of crippling our industries we should look into technologies which convert CO2 into oxygen, and, I believe the reason why that pathway of development isn't promoted is because of special interests within the 'Green Energy' field, combined with the fact that it doesn't offer the Left a means to redistribute wealth / expand their power through intervention into the economy.

Bartholomert
18-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Goddamn dude. "Sanctuary cities" is a shit name but it's a totally justified type of protest if you believe that deportation is a fucked up policy proposal. It's actually something with tangible benefits, and at the very least forces local governments to make a decision about how closely theyre going to follow federal laws. Don't lump it in with all the other shit.

How is it any different than states refusing to issue marriage licenses? Refusing to implement and enforce federal law is neo-Confederate treason, simple as that.

Bartholomert
18-11-2016, 06:41 AM
Distorting opinions based on evidence is one thing- actually questioning the statistical evidence itself is quite another. Together with the fact that some 98% Climate Scientists are in agreement on this - you aren't winning this one, with Trump or without him.

Surely you accept with the numbers being presented - which, assuming you do (only an idiot wouldn't), you therefore accept/agree that there is a substantial anomalous increase during the past 40 years and that something has to be done to counter this regardless of whether it is man-made or not.... we can't just sit by and observe this.

That figure has been debunked many times over as a hoax. Why believe an industry willing to go to such lengths to obfuscate the truth by spreading outright lies? Why not simply let the facts speak? They have an agenda, plain and simple, the sort of personalities that self-select to specialize in environmental science are radical, anti-growth, elitist hippy types. They are not to be trusted as demonstrated exhaustively by their unethical conduct time and time again.

Spikey M
18-11-2016, 06:53 AM
'Why not let the facts speak?'.

Because the majority of people - both you and I included - have nowhere near the level of understanding needed to be able to sit there and dig through pages of un-interpreted data.

Also, if you think your side doesn't have an agenda then... well... FUCK.

Shindig
18-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Mert, you're a jock that's no good at sport so you joined the Young Republicans just to have a team to cheer for the rest of your life. That is cuckness.

John
18-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Watch your mouth. He could play in the NBA.

Raoul Duke
18-11-2016, 07:57 AM
It's a sure bet that the cabal of vegan, sandal-wearing hippy climate scientists are using nefarious tools such as "journals" and "empirical, peer-reviewed evidence" to try to beat down the poor, misunderstood, and certainly not rapacious shitweasels, in the oil/gas conglomerates and Arab sovereign wealth funds.

John Arne
18-11-2016, 08:16 AM
That figure has been debunked many times over as a hoax. Why believe an industry willing to go to such lengths to obfuscate the truth by spreading outright lies? Why not simply let the facts speak? They have an agenda, plain and simple, the sort of personalities that self-select to specialize in environmental science are radical, anti-growth, elitist hippy types. They are not to be trusted as demonstrated exhaustively by their unethical conduct time and time again.

You must be trolling.

If you aren't..... all these scientist (like, 98% of them, on all sides of the political spectrum)... what is the benefit from this great conspiracy? What is the end game for them? They can't all have shares in Wind Power projects.....