PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidential Election 2016 (Sponsored by Betty Croker's Hamburger Helper)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Bartholomert
17-10-2016, 03:28 AM
He's started taking cracks at SNL.

That said, a candidate claiming that the actual democratic process is rigged is a very dangerous precedent to set. That doesn't lead anywhere positive.

EDIT: Pence is looking increasingly like a hostage every day. If Trump just lost because he was an idiot, Pence would come out looking fine. But with Trump lashing out at everyone, as well as stomping all over Pence regularly, Pence might find himself in a tough position with his own party.

Is it that crazy? Hillary certainly had no qualms about subverting the democratic process during the primaries.

http://www.snopes.com/stanford-study-proves-election-fraud-through-exit-poll-discrepancies/

Spoonsky
17-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Why would you post an article that methodically discredits the 'study' you're trying to cite?

Bartholomert
17-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Why would you post an article that methodically discredits the 'study' you're trying to cite?

It doesn't discredit, it qualifies. I thought it would be more honest that just posting the study.

phonics
17-10-2016, 09:44 AM
"their claims and research methodology had not been subject to any form of peer review or academic scrutiny."

Well that's me convinced.

I do like the idea that it's all the dishonest biased media as if Trump Campaigns CEO isn't the owner of Breitbart (they've still got that 'Black Crime' tab but they're not racists, no) and Roger Ailes is in the room at all times. I guess they'd know a thing or two about being dishonest.

elth
17-10-2016, 10:02 AM
One of the 538 team made an interesting point on their most recent podcast - there's essentially a 35-38% portion of the electorate that are so partisan to the Republicans that there's nothing a candidate can do to lose them. And Trump has currently lost everyone else. Pretty remarkable.

If Clinton wasn't so flawed she could consistently be 15 points up, but I guess a win is a win.

phonics
17-10-2016, 10:56 AM
If anything, this election will prove that the gerrymandering of House Congressional seats has fundamentally broken US Politics. So that's nice.

Spoonsky
17-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Got my ballot today. Democracy :cool:

Bernanke
17-10-2016, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3O01EfM5fU

This is amazing.

Raoul Duke
17-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Doesn't work in the UK :(

John
17-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Doesn't work in the UK :(

It's from last night's show, which I think is on Sky Atlantic in half an hour's time.

mikem
17-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Despite being left leaning myself, I think the only people who come out of this election looking good are the republican Never Trumpers. Our politics are so polarized that it is difficult for a presidential candidate to get less than 45%. It is a myth that Trump is popular with Republicans - he only polls in the 60's with them in terms of favorability and most are voting for him due to lack of choice. I get it. I thought Gore was worthless and voted for him. I think Bernie is even more worthless and would have voted for him too. I'm sure there are millions who justifiably feel the same about Clinton. It really takes some utterly shit grievance monger like Trump or Al Sharpton to get people to vote for the other side.

This is a pretty good summary of the end of the race by one of Jeb's! people.

https://theringer.com/donald-trump-is-on-a-presidential-death-march-weve-never-seen-before-2a23da0e8af4#.mnytgiayl

phonics
17-10-2016, 11:15 PM
This is a pretty good summary of the end of the race by one of Jeb's! people.

https://theringer.com/donald-trump-is-on-a-presidential-death-march-weve-never-seen-before-2a23da0e8af4#.mnytgiayl

He was hilarious on Keepin' It 1600.

mikem
17-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Lots of the Republican Never Trump campaign managers on Twitter are great. Mike Murphy, Stuart Stevens, and John Weaver are all fairly funny. I added Murphy's podcast to my running playlist.

phonics
18-10-2016, 08:02 AM
This election

Lewis
18-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Putting volume control on its videos is the best thing Twitter has ever done.

phonics
18-10-2016, 02:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvDWLI0WcAAQJqS.jpg:large

Do these things really need to last 18 months?

Pepe
18-10-2016, 02:31 PM
But 60% of voters said that the debate was important to them!

mikem
18-10-2016, 03:27 PM
There have been some good political ads this season, but this may just be my new favorite.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLzBkDieMS4

Spoonsky
18-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Do these things really need to last 18 months?

Nope. The six-week British version is far better.

Pepe
18-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Get rid of the primaries and it wouldn't be too bad.

GS
18-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Nope. The six-week British version is far better.

This has been somewhat ruined by the Lib Dems' constitutional bastardisation of the Fixed Term Parliament Act, whereby everybody fucking knows when the next election is going to be and thus acts accordingly. When the PM could call a snap election, it was much better because you had quick turnarounds. The EU referendum campaign was four and a bit months and was a fucking nightmare.

mikem
18-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Have to agree with GS. Not sure how you get the parties to not cheat on times when the election schedules are known. And candidates like Bernie or even Obama would never get a sniff without primaries. It takes time to overcome gaps in name recognition and funding.

Jimmy Floyd
18-10-2016, 09:32 PM
The difference here is campaign regulation, our candidates have a budget of about £65 and a packet of biscuits with which to conduct their campaigns. Trump and Clinton have each raised hundreds of millions of dollars and allowed to pump the TV full of absolutely whatever they choose.

mikem
18-10-2016, 10:17 PM
The state vs federal dynamics are different as well, and change the scale. There are 53 elections in the primaries and 51 in the general. I'm not sure how even a Reagan wins that as a non-Beltway politician without some function of time.

Lewis
18-10-2016, 10:55 PM
It would be interesting to see what happened here without the current regulations. I think the newspapers would be too ready with a monstering for the lol corruption that runs through their system to be too obvious, but the attack adverts would be quite something.

'I'm Tim Farron, me, and I approve this message.'

elth
19-10-2016, 07:06 AM
To give Tromp his due, term limiting members of Congress isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Bernanke
19-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Trump is bringing Obamas half-brother as well as the mother of Ben Ghazi as guests to the next debate. :face:

John Arne
19-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Hilary should invite a Mexican rapist.

ItalAussie
19-10-2016, 08:44 AM
To give Tromp his due, term limiting members of Congress isn't necessarily a bad idea.
Can't argue with that.

Jimmy Floyd
19-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Trump is bringing Obamas half-brother as well as the mother of Ben Ghazi as guests to the next debate. :face:

I heard some 11 year olds talking about this on the train this morning. What is going on? You don't hear them talking about Brexit, just fantasy football and Pokemon Go.

Lewis
19-10-2016, 10:41 AM
'Statto is a paedo fam.'

mikem
19-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Just finished arranging a babysitter for tonight so we can watch the presidential debate with friends because Trump has made them something you can't watch with young kids. And some pundits, and others, will think he wins the debate. But that is why he likely loses the debate in the polls no matter what is said.

Pepe
19-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Lol at getting together to watch a debate. Will you wear your democrats jersey and one of those giant blue hands with one finger pointing up?

Byron
19-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Hil-ary! Hil-ary! Hil-ary!

GS
19-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Rock solid GOP states are in play at the minute, which is laughable. The main race is surely over - the real question is whether he drags down the rest of the ticket.

GS
19-10-2016, 09:05 PM

Ev-an! Ev-an! Ev-an!

ItalAussie
19-10-2016, 11:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvJAoDAUsAArpOo.jpg

"Family values".

Hopefully we can retire the term altogether now. The right has totally ceded their feigned moral high ground in this election cycle, which could lead to some very interesting developments down the track. At the very least, "Donald Trump" will become a standard response every time they try to moralize elections in the future.

GS
19-10-2016, 11:04 PM
They don't care providing they can direct the Supreme Court through a pro-life President. Everything else seems to be secondary to these people.

Bartholomert
19-10-2016, 11:30 PM
Rock solid GOP states are in play at the minute, which is laughable. The main race is surely over - the real question is whether he drags down the rest of the ticket.

Lol at how much of a pawn you are in the eyes of the establishment and media elites:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/301834-poll-trump-up-1-on-clinton-nationally

Trump up 1 nationally. Pollster rated A- by Nate Silver.

SvN
19-10-2016, 11:47 PM
Is 788 people considered a worthwhile sample size?

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Clinton has prepped for this debate like a maniac. She and her advisors have clearly workshopped every question that could come out them, because she is covering them with a degree of concision that can only come with planning. She's had several quotes to hand, and has rapidly explained the context of her quotes that have come up in questions.

She's not going too much on the offensive; it's been pretty restrained so far. The puppet line is the best sound-byte to come out, and it seemed like it landed where it needed to. She got him on nukes as well, but that's a bad topic for him, so it's not a surprise.

Trump is getting a great chance to win back his base though. Supreme Court and abortion are always going to drag back any evangelicals he's lost. I'm not convinced that he hasn't gone too hard on abortion though, because the middle largely want it "rare but legal", so you have to be careful about demonizing it too much.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 01:48 AM
Wait. Trump claimed to be a fan of NATO? That's a total pivot. Interesting tack.

Clinton is right to defend economic decisions made under Obama, but it's not going to win her any votes either. Even though Trump's tax plan is ludicrous, it's made for sound-bytes and pays lip service to Americans who are struggling financially (who it will screw, of course, but lip service wins votes).

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 01:57 AM
We're going to hear the Celebrity Apprentice/Bin Laden comparison in the aftermath of this, I suspect. It landed well and hits Trump in a couple of different ways.

Trump has not come off too terribly so far but he has seemed lightweight, even compared to himself the last debate, let alone Clinton. The fact that she's clearly prepared meticulously hasn't helped him in this regard.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:00 AM
Ooof. The audience actually laughed and had to be quietened by the moderator when Trump said he respects women. That's got to hurt.

Trump and his team have clearly settled upon using the emails as a distractor if a question comes up he doesn't want to answer. It's a smart strategy, given that it's one of the few points that has given him much traction of late. But he's doing it so obviously that it is coming across as blatantly dodging the question. He needs to be slicker about it, but I don't know that he has that level of rhetorical subtlety at his disposal.

John Arne
20-10-2016, 02:09 AM
Trump shaking his head and mumbling "no, no, I didn't happen. That's a lie" when everybody saw him mock a disabled reported, and saw him say that he wouldn't assault a women because she wasn't hot enough. How stupid does he thinks the viewers are?

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Yeah. In particular, the one about not assaulting a woman because she's not attractive enough has been in the news so much and so recently that every single person watching immediately knew it was a blatant 100% lie.

The Trump camp are playing a dangerous game by repeatedly bringing up that Clinton was a senator. Trump has to fight the impression that he's unprepared for the job, and reminding people that Clinton has much more experience than him - while it certainly plays well to the anti-establishment core of his support - doesn't go well to counter that idea. I'm not sure whether he can afford to sacrifice wavering voters to appeal to his base at this stage.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:13 AM
To his credit, Trump interjecting specifically to note that the Emmys being rigged was a decent piece of levity. :D

However, the whole issue of rigged election is one that hurts him badly, because it makes him look like he's expecting to lose and that he's sore about it. Even though it might be satisfying, it positions him pre-emptively as a loser. You can't bank on that.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:18 AM
Five Thirty-Eight picked up something that I missed:

There was an interesting tidbit in that exchange over Trump’s taxes. Clinton said Trump hasn’t “paid a penny” in federal income taxes. That goes beyond the evidence that’s been publicly uncovered; tax documents obtained by The New York Times suggested Trump might have been able to avoid paying federal income taxes for up to 18 years. But Trump didn’t deny Clinton’s claim. Is it possible Trump isn’t paying taxes even now?
Even if it's a lie, Trump should have denied the claim. Nobody can ever prove him wrong, but by not arguing, he's tacitly introduced new information that wasn't previously available. If he was thinking on his feet, he could have pointed out that the claim was beyond anything that had been proven so far (and should have, irrespective of whether it's true or not). But he didn't, and that could cause him some problems.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:21 AM
God, Trump is openly trying to shout her down on Middle Eastern stuff. He needs to collect himself. It's not presenting him well.

Trump: "Bernie Sanders said you have bad judgment. I agree with both.”
Clinton: “You should ask Bernie Sanders who he’s supporting for president... he has said you’re the most dangerous person in the modern history to have run for president. I think he’s right.”

That landed hard. She was clearly waiting for him to bring up Sanders (as he was going to, to try and erode her support from the left - probably a sensible tactic), to shoot out that exact line.

John Arne
20-10-2016, 02:26 AM
Yeah, his foreign policy stuff is just mumbling of a madman. There is coherent plan going forward from him. This is embarrassing.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:27 AM
The Middle East stuff is nasty, but nobody's winning any votes with it either. Both sides appealing to their base. Trump praising Assad, which is just a basket of insanity, but his support won't care. He will have confirmed the opinion of people who don't think he really understands the region or has any coherent plan to deal with it, but they weren't going to vote for him in the first place.

At any rate, I think we've heard the big takeaway quote from the debate, and it's from Trump: “I’ll keep you in suspense.”

When asked whether he would accept a Clinton victory in November, Trump’s ultimate response was, “I’ll keep you in suspense.” I don’t mean to editorialize here, but this is perhaps the most alarming thing I’ve heard a presidential candidate say on a debate stage. In some ways, this is almost as bad — or maybe worse — than Trump coming out and saying he wouldn’t accept a loss. There are two principles at stake beyond accepting the legitimacy of the election system. The first is being honest about one’s plans and stances. The American presidency is not the latest Tana French novel — leaders can’t keep the people in suspense. The second is that presidential candidates cannot cast themselves in the role of investigating elections. Trump can’t do this, Clinton can’t do this. The only answer is that evaluating the fairness of the election is up to the commissions that are appointed to do this, not to the candidates themselves. Regardless of your policy beliefs, this is not how democracy works.

Spoonsky
20-10-2016, 02:30 AM
This debate has been pretty repetitive of the last one. The first one was the best, and made me like Clinton more, but this one is just making me depressed all around.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:32 AM
National debt is an easy topic to finish. No obvious attacks to be landed. We've probably seen the best of what's to be said.

I'd expect the big topics to come out of the debate will be Middle Eastern politics (on a simple level: preparedness and lack thereof) and allegations of rigged elections. The latter will be the main one though, you'd have to think. Even Republicans are taking Trump to task over it:

Some prominent Republicans, including Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, have fought back against Trump’s claims — repeated tonight — that the election may be rigged. Husted, who said he would vote for Trump, also said: “I can reassure Donald Trump — I am in charge of elections in Ohio, and they’re not going to be rigged,” adding that the election process “is bipartisan, it’s transparent, and there’s just no justification for concern about widespread voter fraud.”

The news cycle loves intra-party conflict, and Trump has left himself wide open on that flank. We won't have heard the last of that.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:34 AM
Trump: “I did disagree very strongly with Ronald Reagan.”

That could be an very smart or very stupid comment. It positions him as anti-establishment in a way that his base will like, but RR is basically a demigod to the right. I think it'll play overall positive to his supporters, but it's a pretty brave statement to make.

John Arne
20-10-2016, 02:36 AM
I'm trying to watch this non-biased as possible, and on what each person is saying - but my god, it's difficult. To be fair, even Hilary was a little weak on Syria there - but she said more substantially things than Trump.
I don't get why the moderator isn't asking "what would you do to fix this...", "what is your policy on this". Rather, he's letting both candidates talk shit and just divert back to an older point that they are trying to make.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:38 AM
Overall debate impression: Trump was largely controlled (aside from losing it a bit in the Middle East), but came across as weaker on policy and details than Clinton. I think Clinton "won" the debate, but through more detailed policy understanding rather than goading out his ill-temperament. She wasn't perfect, but she was super-prepped, and Trump seemed far more lightweight on policy than he should be at this point.

The debate won't move the polls in either direction, which works for Clinton, because we're getting to the point where Trump needs to land some hammer blows. It makes sense that he was more concerned with landing a big hit than getting stuck into policy, because that's what he really has to do between now and the election. But for that to work, he really, really needs to have something connect, and it seemed like she anticipated most of the big swings and had planned out responses. Nothing happened that caught her off-guard.

Executive summary: Clinton took the points, but on policy rather than temperament.

Spoonsky
20-10-2016, 02:42 AM
http://imgur.com/hGm3q2Q.jpg

If only all of our predictions could come true so quickly, Ital.

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 02:45 AM
:D

Next week, I'll give out the lottery numbers.

Foe
20-10-2016, 03:01 AM
I watched the debate having no real background to either.

Trump just comes across as a moron. He didn't actually answer any of the questions, never mind finish a sentence.

Clinton clearly has some "iffy" background but I'm not entirely sure that's out of the norm of any politician.

If trump wins this the American people (who allowed it to happen) can only blame themselves when the rest of the world turn against them.

Good lord. How has he made it this far?

7om
20-10-2016, 04:13 AM
Another thoroughly depressing debate.

My final prediction is Hilary by seven points but what an absolutely shite state of affairs that is.

Byron
20-10-2016, 04:38 AM
https://gyazo.com/78f3ded58ac002fdf6e1739f4920dc69.png

Byron
20-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Some of these hashtags are brilliant as well;

#DrainTheSwamp
#BigLeagueTruth

The best one however is easily #TrumpBookReport

John Arne
20-10-2016, 07:03 AM
#TrumpTheCunt

John Arne
20-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Clinton: "That's because Donald would prefer to see a puppet in charge"
Trump: "No...you're the puppet! No.... you're the puppet... you're the puppet"

Is this what American politics has come to? School ground name calling?

Kikó
20-10-2016, 07:46 AM
So is your mom mate. YOUR MOM.

Pepe
20-10-2016, 12:40 PM
I thought that one was the best debate although that's not saying much considering the rock-bottom level we're coming from. Not that it will change a single person's mind.

Ital, you're such a fucking nerd. :D

elth
20-10-2016, 01:47 PM
How stupid does he thinks the viewers are?

I mean, around 40% of them are planning to vote for him so...

mikem
20-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Hmm, hard not to like McMullin. First time I've heard this so explicitly from the right:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/evan-mcmullin-theres-nothing-wrong-with-gop-except-racism/article/2604432

John Arne
20-10-2016, 03:48 PM
A TENTH woman, Karena Virginia, has now come out and claimed that Trump groped her.

How many sexual assault accusation was it that Obama had against him in the run up to his election, I can't remember...

Danny
20-10-2016, 04:53 PM
That's Barack "Hussein The Kenyan" Obama to you

Disco
20-10-2016, 04:57 PM
How a vaguely civilised country can have allowed such an abominable person to get the last two is beyond me.

Jimmy Floyd
20-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Jean-Marie Le Pen did once get to the last two in Fr... as you were.

Byron
20-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has said he will accept the results of the US election "if I win".

He added that he would accept a "clear" result - but reserved the right to challenge a "questionable" result.

Good old Trump-ese there. Leave no indication to what a questionable result is so he can still bitch and cry for a revolution when he doesn't win.

Bartholomert
20-10-2016, 07:04 PM
A TENTH woman, Karena Virginia, has now come out and claimed that Trump groped her.

How many sexual assault accusation was it that Obama had against him in the run up to his election, I can't remember...

Does she also work for the Clinton campaign? Did she also cordially reach out to Trump about business opportunities as recently as last year? Lol at you buying any of this, no sexual assault claims for 30 years while in the public eye while constantly surrounded by beautiful women, 3 weeks before a presidential election (where were they during the Primaries?) they all come out of the wood work.

You are an actual idiot if you give them any credibility. I guess Bill Clinton's past mattered too eh, but that didn't stop Democrats from celebrating and electing a serial rapist. Hypocrisy from the Left as per usual.

Bartholomert
20-10-2016, 07:06 PM
How a vaguely civilised country can have allowed such an abominable person to get the last two is beyond me.

We going to pretend like Clinton isn't a corrupt criminal who openly rigged the Democrat primary in her favor and aside from unprecedented incompetence in the office, abused her position as Secretary of State to enrich her own family at the expense of American national security? Lol.

Byron
20-10-2016, 07:08 PM
That $50 bet is still out there if you're that confident.

Shindig
20-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Mert will only take it if he wins.

Disco
20-10-2016, 07:23 PM
We going to pretend like Clinton isn't a corrupt criminal who openly rigged the Democrat primary in her favor and aside from unprecedented incompetence in the office, abused her position as Secretary of State to enrich her own family at the expense of American national security? Lol.

Let's say we accept your assessment of Clinton, now consider that Trump is still so very obviously the shitty end of the stick. If I were American I would be ashamed to have him represent me, the man is a disgraceful example of humanity and a fucking terrible politician.

Now do another pantomime post and the media and/or cucks.

Shindig
20-10-2016, 07:55 PM
You get the feeling this is what happens when a guy who's been told he's great all his life, is finally being put in his place. He can't grasp it. I mean, it would've been enough for a man who's never held office to finish runner-up and take some kudos and raise his pricetag a bit. The way he's fighting, it's like every facet of his being is under fire.

I really, really hope Clinton mobilises the FBI to have a look at him and his family's books.

Bartholomert
20-10-2016, 08:08 PM
That $50 bet is still out there if you're that confident.

Bet you $50 Barcelona wins their next home game in the league 1:1 odds. That's how retarded you sound.

Max Power
20-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Mert still acting like a wager between "mates" is like a betting exchange or something. SAD!

phonics
20-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Boy who brags about how rich he is haggling over what you'd earn working a shift at McDonalds. Low energy! SAD!

Byron
20-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Mert not understanding the concept of an internet forum bet. When will he learn? Dull and boring. SAD!

Adamski
20-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Bet you $50 Barcelona wins their next home game in the league 1:1 odds. That's how retarded you sound.

This is ridiculous, what a freak :D

GS
20-10-2016, 09:17 PM
I suspect we'll see that video of him playing basketball long before he makes a bet he knows he won't win, so why bother. Still, if Trump loses then - by his own logic - he doesn't understand America and will therefore have no credibility whatsoever. Not that he has any at the minute, but we'll just secure our e-wins with "but Trump, mate".

niko_cee
20-10-2016, 09:33 PM
I like that in Mert's football analogy Clinton is Barcelona and Trump is Granada.

One being demonstrably better than the other, in all respects, in the field in question. Apt.

Jimmy Floyd
20-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Granada of course being controlled by foreign corporate interests, as well as being the scene of the most successful Muslim foray into the western world.

Bernanke
20-10-2016, 10:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2XkntS9.gif

Trump after the debate. :D

ItalAussie
20-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Ital, you're such a fucking nerd. :D

I was at work with the debate showing in a corner of my screen. Had to share my thoughts with someone, and you guys got the short straw. :D

John Arne
21-10-2016, 03:47 AM
Does she also work for the Clinton campaign? Did she also cordially reach out to Trump about business opportunities as recently as last year? Lol at you buying any of this, no sexual assault claims for 30 years while in the public eye while constantly surrounded by beautiful women, 3 weeks before a presidential election (where were they during the Primaries?) they all come out of the wood work.

You are an actual idiot if you give them any credibility. I guess Bill Clinton's past mattered too eh, but that didn't stop Democrats from celebrating and electing a serial rapist. Hypocrisy from the Left as per usual.

It's not that I believe every claim as such... it's more that the claims exist, that Trump has a history of sexual discrimination and inappropriate behaviour, and that his defence has been "she is too ugly to have assaulted".

I agree that I would have preferred these woman to come out at the time - however, as with many high profile cases, once 2 or 3 come to light, then generally gives other victims the confidence to also come forward. Donald Trump only has one person to blame for all of this, and it isn't Clinton. And no, it appears that Karena Virginia does not work for Clinton.
Regarding Bill - The fact that the Democats previously put forward a rapist (they didn't), doesn't excuse it happening again - what point are you making here. And even if I could, I was a little too young to condemn him at the time.

John Arne
21-10-2016, 04:05 AM
Regarding the Trump accepting the results of the election - if he doesn't, I guess the media could just turn around and say "ok, enough is enough, ignore the oaf". It won't happen, of course. But if they likes of Fox really believe in AMERCIA!!!!!!, then they could just move on.

Spoonsky
21-10-2016, 05:01 AM
Two-Faced Mert knew how to make a casual bet when he bet me that Trump would win the nomination, and now I have to rush a frat at McGill. McGill doesn't have any frats! Sad!

John Arne
21-10-2016, 05:13 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-trade-jokes-al-smith/story?id=42947939

Jesus, the guy was even jeered at the Al Smith dinner :D His delivery really is terrible.

Just watched some of it, Hilary was pretty funny, Trump was just largely unfunny and quite boring. The Melania/Michelle line was funny, though.

Giuliani's reaction :D

https://gyazo.com/6c682812d4e36d0d4d6807ad4e7bece1.png

Lewis
21-10-2016, 10:23 AM
'Hillary' pretending to laugh at his jokes makes her teeth look like they're held in with plaque.

phonics
25-10-2016, 09:15 AM
It's been a boring couple of days in terms of this election so let's share this.

A right wing 'news' site is claiming that Hilary Clinton has a personal 'sex-fixer' who gets her her hook-ups and they've identified that man.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvmhu_7WcAAwYZC.jpg:large

Disco
25-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Left wing media bias again mate.

Byron
25-10-2016, 09:50 AM
That's amazing :D

Magic
25-10-2016, 10:21 AM
What the fuck? :D

Shindig
25-10-2016, 08:05 PM
He looks like a third Milliband.

Magic
25-10-2016, 08:09 PM
It is him isn't it?

Shindig
25-10-2016, 08:17 PM
A quick google says it is Ed. Outstanding.

mikem
25-10-2016, 11:39 PM
The get out the vote effort is really different when your state becomes a battleground state. Normally, we just get a snarky mailed pamphlet blaming us for not voting. If you just voted .... whine, whine, whine.

This year we get texts alerting us that mail in ballots should be arriving in a week. Daily mail ads, including information on finding all the down ballot candidates as we have non-party sections for all local races. A text telling us we should have gotten any early voting ballots and a call the following day. And some people are now getting texts asking for voting registration drive volunteers for the weekend and if they reply yes are getting same day follow up calls to organize.

ItalAussie
26-10-2016, 01:18 AM
In one Australian federal election, the electorate I lived in ended up being the most marginal seat in the country at the end of the count.

The next election cycle was utter torture. We disconnected our phone. :D

EDIT: Also, that's 100% Ed Milliband, right? Like, I could see him doing the job if it came to it, but I have to think his prospects are still not quite that grim.

Shindig
26-10-2016, 06:31 AM
How many of those texts came from Russia?

"Dearest vote, please regonise Director General Donald." And Ital, it is definitely Ed. Bill's chatting to Nick Clegg.

Pepe
26-10-2016, 02:06 PM
I would be pissed if I was getting texts.

Magic
26-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Can your shitty phone even do texting?

Pepe
26-10-2016, 03:53 PM
I've been on a smartphone for about a year now mate.

(My mom got it for me and still pays for it.)

Shindig
26-10-2016, 09:12 PM
I'd love to know why a lad I know from school is so up in arms about Hillary threatening the second amendment. An amendment he can't exercise because he lives in Washington, Tyne and Wear.

Lewis
26-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I've been on a smartphone for about a year now mate.

(My mom got it for me and still pays for it.)

You sold out, mate.

Pepe
26-10-2016, 11:16 PM
I did. :(

Pepe
26-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Next stop: an iPad.

Pepe
26-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Are you on a Nokia still?

John
26-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Obama doing the rounds on a load of talk shows to pave the way for a move into television presenting is indescribably lol, but his response to Trump saying he was shit on that 'Mean Tweets' thing was good.

ItalAussie
27-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Obama has the most positive approval ratings of anyone in politics at this point in time, and is going to finish his term with one of the highest Presidential approval ratings in memory. He doesn't need a TV job. It's a calculated move.

Spoonsky
27-10-2016, 03:38 AM
Obama's always done the rounds of talk-shows. He'll write some books when he retires, or maybe teach law school.

Bartholomert
27-10-2016, 05:04 AM
Inb4 Obama teaches at Georgetown Law

ItalAussie
27-10-2016, 06:11 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. He wants to stay in DC while his kids are at school, right?

Seems the obvious way to go. It's hard to imagine him going hard at the speaking circuit.

Shindig
27-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Meanwhile, Trump would make more out of a failed candidacy than a failed presidency.

John
27-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Obama has the most positive approval ratings of anyone in politics at this point in time, and is going to finish his term with one of the highest Presidential approval ratings in memory. He doesn't need a TV job. It's a calculated move.

I know he's doing it to be affable and funny in supporting Hillary and getting a few whacks in at Trump, but I flashed on the idea of him presenting some 'Capital Beat' style DC insider program and it made me laugh.

:sick:

bruhnaldo
27-10-2016, 02:30 PM
I honestly believe Trump is going to win now. I don't have any cool anecdotes to back this up, just my general feeling.

Even some of the girls at my job who are latina and were slamming Trump and all of his "build a wall" shit are starting to come around to the idea of... maybe not voting FOR Trump but rather not voting FOR Hillary.

Anyways.

ItalAussie
27-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I know he's doing it to be affable and funny in supporting Hillary and getting a few whacks in at Trump, but I flashed on the idea of him presenting some 'Capital Beat' style DC insider program and it made me laugh.
I do think he'd be rather good at it. He has an easy charisma which a lot of politicians lack.

Boydy
27-10-2016, 09:43 PM
He should move to the UK and run for PM.

Magic
27-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I honestly believe Trump is going to win now. I don't have any cool anecdotes to back this up, just my general feeling.

Even some of the girls at my job who are latina and were slamming Trump and all of his "build a wall" shit are starting to come around to the idea of... maybe not voting FOR Trump but rather not voting FOR Hillary.

Anyways.

Americans really are dumb. Even Pepe the engineer is a bit retarded.

GS
27-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Yep, he can ruin the foreign policy of a second country.

Byron
27-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Because we were obviously doing a sterling job previously.

GS
27-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Cameron indulged in a bit of useless interventionism as well - we've been doing it since Blair, and it's a waste of everybody's time.

Pepe
28-10-2016, 12:55 AM

You fucking what?

Also I am not American so joke's on you.

Magic
28-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Yeah and How is Polish. :harold:

Pepe
28-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Shit. :(

mugbull
28-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Yep, he can ruin the foreign policy of a second country.

:happycry:

Unbelievable

niko_cee
28-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Barry will just busy himself laying the groundwork for his wife to be the president in a few years. Not that much needs doing. They'd probably vote her in now as a third party candidate, such is their insatiable desire for dynastic rule.

Foe
28-10-2016, 02:35 PM
They interviewed some trump supporters about trumps policy.

The majority of them assume trump is being symbolic when he talks about building a wall.... Nope. He wants to build a physical wall.

If trump wins its a disaster for everyone and he'll either be assassinated or there will be a military coup. There's no way the rest of America will let him butcher the relationships they've rebuilt.

Jimmy Floyd
28-10-2016, 02:48 PM
BHO's main legacy will be to inspire a range of wistful nostaglic retrospectives when the next Republican President, Jerry A. Wankenhauser III reverts to type and flattens various countries in a few years.

-james-
28-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Massive move for Trump on betfair in the last few hours. Because of this (https://twitter.com/jasoninthehouse/status/792047597040971776) perhaps?

-james-
28-10-2016, 05:23 PM
3.9 in from 6.5 a couple of days ago

John Arne
28-10-2016, 05:38 PM
What is happening with the 11 women who have claimed to have been sexually assaulted by Trump? Have any of them actually pressed charges?

Davgooner
28-10-2016, 05:49 PM
FBI investigation into HRC's emails re-opened. Robby Mook has also just deleted his entire Twitter timeline. :D

Bartholomert
28-10-2016, 05:58 PM
God wants Western Civilization to survive, Trump will win and Hillary will be in jail 18 months from now

Lewis
28-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Having somebody called 'Robby Mook' at the top of your campaign/movement ought to completely discredit it.

GS
28-10-2016, 06:37 PM
You have to laugh at reopening the investigation a full week and a half before the election.

bruhnaldo
28-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Because they (we) don't want to vote for Hillary Clinton?

John
28-10-2016, 07:14 PM
God wants Western Civilization to survive, Trump will win and Hillary will be in jail 18 months from now

Allah. Trump isn't winning so there's no need to hide your faith.

Lol at that Chaffetz wanker's Twitter being 'jasoninthehouse'. I bet his email address was 'Jason_Is@Hotmail.com'.

Spikey M
28-10-2016, 07:16 PM
In fairness - there was no way the Tories were getting a majority and there was no way Brexit was going to happen according to the polls. Who knows.

Shindig
28-10-2016, 07:19 PM
50% of Americans don't even vote. That's taken as standard. I expect a lower turnout unless there's some genuine fear factor around Trump. It's terrifying. I mean, these are your options:

1) A businessman tax dodger who is a complete dick to women. He also also never held any form of office and has spent the latter half of the campaign going on about Clinton's emails and how everything in America is fixed. He also has ties to Russia which may actually result in genuine electoral fraud.

2) A career politician who has held the second highest office in the country. She also has some shady instances of loose talk on an insecure email server, some question marks about where her campaign funding came from and her political links come courtesy of an unfaithful husband. She has also done some questionable things as a lawyer.

I could see how endorsing either is a no-go for some.

Bartholomert
28-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Allah. Trump isn't winning so there's no need to hide your faith.

Lol at that Chaffetz wanker's Twitter being 'jasoninthehouse'. I bet his email address was 'Jason_Is@Hotmail.com'.

Allah (God in Turkish) = God (Allah in English)

In case you are actually this ignorant.

Magic
28-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Even if Trump wins it's not a fucking autocracy. Every lunatic policy he has will be rejected.

Spoonsky
28-10-2016, 08:37 PM
I've been saying since the Trump tape that it would take a bombshell about Clinton for him to have a chance.

:uhoh:

Shindig
28-10-2016, 10:02 PM
I told you wikileaks would destroy us all.

Queenslander
28-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Fresh reminder during the week that plenty of Australian boomer blokes think Trump is the voice of reason.

elth
29-10-2016, 12:01 AM
The email thing is a mountain out of a mole hill, the only one in trouble is Weiner. The FBI had to tell Congress that Comey's evidence was potentially no longer final, that's all.

Good news day for Republicans who get to bloviate, and good for the media who get to hope the race tightens, but there's no substance in this.

phonics
29-10-2016, 08:45 PM
A Trump supporter was so terrified of Clintons rigged election that she voted for Trump twice, annulling both votes :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/29/trump-supporter-charged-with-voting-twice-in-iowa/?postshare=3971477752655893&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.15434c9edb91

Giggles
29-10-2016, 08:47 PM
How did she vote? Is this not on the 8th?

phonics
29-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Early voting. Voted by mail and then at a polling station.

Shindig
29-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Yeah, the postal voting's been open the last week or so.

Spikey M
30-10-2016, 06:29 AM
A Trump supporter was so terrified of Clintons rigged election that she voted for Trump twice, annulling both votes :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/29/trump-supporter-charged-with-voting-twice-in-iowa/?postshare=3971477752655893&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.15434c9edb91

'The polls are rigged'

You just tried to rig them you dumb cunt.

Bartholomert
31-10-2016, 04:53 AM
The email thing is a mountain out of a mole hill, the only one in trouble is Weiner. The FBI had to tell Congress that Comey's evidence was potentially no longer final, that's all.

Good news day for Republicans who get to bloviate, and good for the media who get to hope the race tightens, but there's no substance in this.

No substance to the FBI reopening a criminal investigation against a presidential candidate. You what?

John Arne
31-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Hey Mert - genuine question... do Americans realise that they are the laughing stock of pretty much the rest of the world?

Spoonsky
31-10-2016, 05:08 AM
The rest of the world is the laughing stock of Americans.

John Arne
31-10-2016, 05:10 AM
The rest of the world is the laughing stock of Americans.

bruhnaldo
31-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Hey Mert - genuine question... do Americans realise that they are the laughing stock of pretty much the rest of the world?

You guys have been saying this ever since I was born and we have yet to care.

Mind you...

Canada is too busy up it's own ass to bother the rest of the world. Mexico, while apparently booming with industry, is raft with crime and corruption at every level entangled with the assorted cartels. Most all of South America is in a dire state of debt or being destroyed inside out by socialism (shout out to those protesting in Caracas Venezuela this very second). Colombia is in the midst of a 52 year civil conflict that has taken the lives of 220,000 people. Brazil impeached their president. Scotland tried to leave the UK. The UK is going to leave the EU (apparently) on accident (i.e. "I didn't know my vote actually was going to matter!", "I never thought we'd actually leave!"). Russia has submarines chillin' in the Irish Sea trying to piss people off. Spain is dead broke. Germany and Sweden are in the midst of a migrant crisis. France is too busy banning burkas to combat terrorism to care about us. Eastern Europe in general has plenty of it's own problems, nonetheless Russia strategizing to put a bunch of rockets on the doorsteps of it's every border (or figure out what part of Georgia they want to annex). The Middle East is absolutely fucked, without saying. Africa is absolutely fucked (Boko Haram in Nigeria, destabilization in Mali, etc.) Australia ceases to exist to the rest of the world on any day except New Year's Eve, when they get to shoot the fireworks first (or whenever you lot decide to play cricket with them). The Philippines is cleansing its population through the murder of whomever they consider to be unscrupulous individuals. Civil war in Myanmar. The king of Thaliand passed a couple weeks back amidst a political tug-of-war that's been going on for decades. Japan and South Korea are basically on "I wonder if the Norks are going to launch nuclear war today" watch constantly. China wants to help kickstart the third World War by fighting over some islands.

But hahaaaa lol @ the USA, bruh.

phonics
31-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Bruh writing that post

http://i.giphy.com/26ufjTGA4TdOyFk9G.gif

Bernanke
31-10-2016, 03:30 PM
That wasn't worth the effort you put into it, mate.

phonics
31-10-2016, 03:31 PM
I didn't even get through the first couple of sentences before going off in search of crying gifs.

Giggles
31-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Would have worked so much better as bullet points.

Lewis
31-10-2016, 03:39 PM
We're the dons of the entire world at the minute.

Jimmy Floyd
31-10-2016, 03:55 PM
And the donnage is only just beginning.

Disco
31-10-2016, 04:02 PM
'Raft' I could overlook but 'on accident' was too much.

John Arne
31-10-2016, 04:13 PM
That was excellent, Bruh.

We should all move to Iceland.

John Arne
31-10-2016, 04:26 PM
I didn't even get through the first couple of sentences before going off in search of crying gifs.

For some reason, I had this guy in my head whilst reading it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pRbwu4Pf0

John Arne
31-10-2016, 04:40 PM
This new email "revelation" of 650,000 emails belonging to Abedin.... presuming it covers the period that Clinton was Sec of State, that's 3,500 a week.... the fuck?

bruhnaldo
31-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Admittedly I kinda just started going and going and going and kinda lost my mind here.

What word am I looking for there..

"Raft with..,"

clearly that's not right.

'on accident' was too much.

I just meant the huge fervor to do another referendum because all of those people basically said they ballsed it up and didn't even mean to vote Leave.

Disco
31-10-2016, 05:33 PM
I believe 'rife' is the word you were after.

bruhnaldo
31-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Fuck, that's it.

Jimmy Floyd
31-10-2016, 05:36 PM
I meant to vote Leave, and it's bloody glorious. Nearly wobbled on it as well.

GS
31-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm still revelling in it, too. The fallout has been spectacular to witness.

Giggles
31-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Saved me over €450 for this Christmas, so top work.

Pepe
31-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Bruh :happycry:

Stop apologizing for your opinions.

Boydy
31-10-2016, 08:10 PM
I watched Adam Curtis' new film Hypernormalisation last night and I'm now pretty convinced Trump is going to win. Who's got the best odds?

Pepe
31-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Mert.

Bartholomert
31-10-2016, 08:25 PM
You guys have been saying this ever since I was born and we have yet to care.

Mind you...

Canada is too busy up it's own ass to bother the rest of the world. Mexico, while apparently booming with industry, is raft with crime and corruption at every level entangled with the assorted cartels. Most all of South America is in a dire state of debt or being destroyed inside out by socialism (shout out to those protesting in Caracas Venezuela this very second). Colombia is in the midst of a 52 year civil conflict that has taken the lives of 220,000 people. Brazil impeached their president. Scotland tried to leave the UK. The UK is going to leave the EU (apparently) on accident (i.e. "I didn't know my vote actually was going to matter!", "I never thought we'd actually leave!"). Russia has submarines chillin' in the Irish Sea trying to piss people off. Spain is dead broke. Germany and Sweden are in the midst of a migrant crisis. France is too busy banning burkas to combat terrorism to care about us. Eastern Europe in general has plenty of it's own problems, nonetheless Russia strategizing to put a bunch of rockets on the doorsteps of it's every border (or figure out what part of Georgia they want to annex). The Middle East is absolutely fucked, without saying. Africa is absolutely fucked (Boko Haram in Nigeria, destabilization in Mali, etc.) Australia ceases to exist to the rest of the world on any day except New Year's Eve, when they get to shoot the fireworks first (or whenever you lot decide to play cricket with them). The Philippines is cleansing its population through the murder of whomever they consider to be unscrupulous individuals. Civil war in Myanmar. The king of Thaliand passed a couple weeks back amidst a political tug-of-war that's been going on for decades. Japan and South Korea are basically on "I wonder if the Norks are going to launch nuclear war today" watch constantly. China wants to help kickstart the third World War by fighting over some islands.

But hahaaaa lol @ the USA, bruh.

Bruhn :cool:

Literally lol at every other country that isn't the US, the reason we don't care about the world is because we don't need to.

Bartholomert
31-10-2016, 08:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1klsG9V.png

u mad libs? Ital on suicide watch as we speak.

Pepe
31-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Doesn't care about the world.

Allots 80% of their primary debates time to foreign policy.

GS
31-10-2016, 11:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1klsG9V.png

I'd note that I'm an unashamed right winger and consider Trump to be outright dangerous, so it's not just "libs" who would consider his election a travesty.

Bartholomert
01-11-2016, 03:12 AM
I'd note that I'm an unashamed right winger and consider Trump to be outright dangerous, so it's not just "libs" who would consider his election a travesty.

That's because you are only exposed to incredibly biased coverage on his candidacy.

Hillary is lol levels of corrupt, incompetent, unethical, antidemocratic, etc, only reason you would vote for her is because you wish to see the promotion of Leftist positions at all costs.

Raoul Duke
01-11-2016, 07:56 AM
So is Trump, but he's also a sex fiend, has shit candy floss hair and has Putin balls deep in him

Jimmy Floyd
01-11-2016, 08:41 AM
His main problem is that he's thick as shit.

John Arne
01-11-2016, 08:47 AM
FiveThirtyEight has Hilary's chances coming in a little (down from 88% on 17-Oct to 75% today), but she was so far ahead, it doesn't seem to matter much.

https://gyazo.com/8be699463897743eb846f917d17f4cc5.png

ItalAussie
01-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Not my problem. I still don't think he'll come close to winning, but Australia's (much higher) quality of life won't take a hit unless he nukes us out of his own idiocy. So, like, a 20% chance at worst.

EDIT: Which one of Colorado, Pennsylvania, Viriginia or New Hampshire do you think Trump will crack? He needs to get at least one of them to win, even if he sweeps Nevada, Florida and North Carolina.

Jimmy Floyd
01-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Even if he wins, he won't just be able to stroll around doing what he wants anyway. Then you'll all be very glad of the 'blockages' that have stopped Obama turning it into a liberal nirvana over the last 8 years.

phonics
01-11-2016, 10:39 AM
If he wins, he'll have a Republican House and Senate so I'm not sure how that applies.

Jimmy Floyd
01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Yeah but half of them will hate him and in any case, the other day I saw something saying the Senate could go Democrat (no idea if true, American politics is utterly tedious to me). Then there'll be the Supreme Court, the Joint Chiefs etc all counterbalancing the executive in other areas. He won't just be able to nuke Vancouver.

phonics
01-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Trump winning the Presidential vote and not the Senate makes little to no sense. The only reason the Democrats have a chance is because of NeverTrumpers. The Supreme Court is currently 3-3 with whoever wins the nomination picking their preferred justice to make it 4-3 and there's a remote possibility that they'll get to pick two.

Bartholomert
01-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Not my problem. I still don't think he'll come close to winning, but Australia's (much higher) quality of life won't take a hit unless he nukes us out of his own idiocy. So, like, a 20% chance at worst.

EDIT: Which one of Colorado, Pennsylvania, Viriginia or New Hampshire do you think Trump will crack? He needs to get at least one of them to win, even if he sweeps Nevada, Florida and North Carolina.

Don't forget New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

You are sooo shook right now it's hilarious. Denying reality despite it being right in front of your face. You were wrong and I was right, how embarrassing is that? Aren't you supposed to be smart and objective and the voice of reason??? But I guess you're just as irrational and blind as the rest of the Leftist cucks currently experiencing a meltdown associated with having their perception of reality upended.

Also being rich in Australia is roughly equivalent to lower-middle class in America. Cope harder.

Bartholomert
01-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Trump winning the Presidential vote and not the Senate makes little to no sense. The only reason the Democrats have a chance is because of NeverTrumpers. The Supreme Court is currently 3-3 with whoever wins the nomination picking their preferred justice to make it 4-3 and there's a remote possibility that they'll get to pick two.

It's 4-4 with one open vacancy to make 9 justices, but yes you are correct.

ItalAussie
01-11-2016, 07:36 PM

You are sooo shook right now it's hilarious. Denying reality despite it being right in front of your face. You were wrong and I was right, how embarrassing is that? Aren't you supposed to be smart and objective and the voice of reason??? But I guess you're just as irrational and blind as the rest of the Leftist cucks currently experiencing a meltdown associated with having their perception of reality upended.You sound twelve. I know you're not stupid, but you're coming across as barely literate. Wind back the bombast a little.

Also being rich in Australia is roughly equivalent to lower-middle class in America. Cope harder.
Have spent enough time in both to know that's rubbish. And I put my money where my mouth is - I could have taken a job in the US, and didn't. It was a quality-of-life decision, and I've never looked back.

Look, I don't want Trump to win. But I have been saying on here for months that the polls would narrow as the election got close, so I don't know what I'm supposed to have been wrong about. From where I'm sitting, it looks like I was on the money at this point.

bruhnaldo
01-11-2016, 08:45 PM
And I put my money where my mouth is - I could have taken a job in the US, and didn't. It was a quality-of-life decision, and I've never looked back.

This triggers me so much for some reason.

"Yo dawg, I heard you live in a country that spans 3.8 million square miles, but all of it is shit compared to the 2.97 million square miles we have here in Australia"

It's a big world, man. Your home city vs. Potential job city =/= Australia vs. the U.S.

Pepe
01-11-2016, 08:51 PM
:happycry:

Byron
01-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Cry a little harder Bruh, I don't think we heard you the first time.

Shindig
01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Okay, maybe this is just bad timing but the FBI releasing all that stuff on Bill Clinton feels like they're trying to influence an election.

ItalAussie
01-11-2016, 10:48 PM
This triggers me so much for some reason.

"Yo dawg, I heard you live in a country that spans 3.8 million square miles, but all of it is shit compared to the 2.97 million square miles we have here in Australia"

It's a big world, man. Your home city vs. Potential job city =/= Australia vs. the U.S.
I've not experienced the whole thing, but I did have job offers in California and North Carolina, which involved visiting both areas as part of the process. I spent several months in Boston during my PhD, two months in DC, and a month and a half in Athens (Georgia). It's not the whole place, but it's a decent cross-section. Mostly east coast, I'll admit.

The lifestyle in Australia is pretty amazing. New Zealand probably has it even better, but Australia's isolation makes it decently laid-back. You can accomplish things here, but the whole "ethos" in the major Australian cities is on maximising quality of lifestyle. It's a good place to be. Not to mention that we're at or near the top of almost every "quality of life" measure, for what it's worth. But it's more the general easygoingness of the place, coupled with the sensible social safety nets if you're into that sort of thing.

Seriously though. Maternity leave and the metric system. Get it together, guys.

Lewis
01-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Isn't Sydney increasingly becoming London-like bollocks in terms of property ownership? Watch that start sinking those 'quality of life' surveys.

Raoul Duke
01-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Everything is going that way whilst China has money to buy it all up.

Vancouver turned to shit and that place was some kind of plaid-covered paradise on Earth. It'd be no surprise if Australia was feeling the same.

Lewis
01-11-2016, 11:05 PM
They're both boxed in by National Parks, which can't help. You could make Calgary or Canberra the size of France and nobody would care.

Queenslander
02-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Brisbane has a sizeable Chinese poplation and it hasn't changed my quality of life at all. My only problem is that they haven't taken to Rugby Union yet despite the biggest suburban Rugby Club in Queensland being smack bang in the middle of where most live.

Selfish cunts

Lewis
02-11-2016, 01:13 AM
There must be something about team sports that clashes with the drone mentality. You can drill somebody to death for most Olympic sports, but throw them in a team (or in a group loitering near some stairs on a university campus) and their brains melt.

elth
02-11-2016, 01:15 AM
Must admit I didn't predict Bruh to be the one having a FUCKING MAD meltdown in this thread.

If Clinton gets done, part of the reason will be her campaign trying to run up the score in Arizona instead of making sure she has her 270 votes locked in.

Dems won't win the Senate if she loses, so there will be no effective check on Trump's whims. The Republicans aren't going to stop him if he wins because they'll realise that the only chance the have to stay relevant is to jump on board his populism train. Even now any Republican running in a state that isn't completely one sided is kissing his ass, despite him going against every traditional Republican value, because they've figured out that he's directly tapped enough of their base that they can't win if they oppose him. Same as the Tea Partiers shredded the traditional Republican base by turfing the moderates - you can't win from the middle in the Republican party any more.

Spoonsky
02-11-2016, 01:16 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/us/politics/william-johnson-evan-mcmullin-robocalls-utah.html

Just got this call. :cool:

I didn't expect him to actually introduce himself as "farmer and white supremacist", but there you go.

ItalAussie
02-11-2016, 02:07 AM
Isn't Sydney increasingly becoming London-like bollocks in terms of property ownership? Watch that start sinking those 'quality of life' surveys.

Yeah, property prices are becoming a serious problem. Anyone who ran on a "negative gearing is obviously insane" policy platform could probably get elected in any Sydney seat at the moment. Still a great place to live, mind you. I went to the beach before work this morning.

Queenslander
02-11-2016, 02:14 AM
Half court basketball seems to be very popular.

The Japanese blokes love themselves some Rugby however. East Brisbane Rugby Club does well in the lower grades with Japanese outside backs.

John Arne
02-11-2016, 03:27 AM
You were wrong and I was right, how embarrassing is that? Aren't you supposed to be smart and objective and the voice of reason??? But I guess you're just as irrational and blind as the rest of the Leftist cucks currently experiencing a meltdown associated with having their perception of reality upended.

Wait, is the election over? nobody told me (ignoring the fact that Ital doesn't appear to have actually been wrong, anyway).

You don't actually believe this do you? You're educated - you can't be stupid enough to think that this is true.

mikem
02-11-2016, 04:18 AM
Yay! Trump just got his largest circulation newspaper endorsement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/funder/status/793507167877865472/photo/1

Republicans must be so proud.

ItalAussie
02-11-2016, 04:38 AM

Just came back for the details. You think Trump is going to sweep the swing states?

The firewall is Colorado/New Hampshire/Pennsylvania/Virginia. If he cracks any one of those four, I'd say he wins the election. You reckon he's going to get all four, as well as the three you listed? Because that's a far, far ballsier prediction than my comparatively lightweight "the polls will narrow before the day". If you're right on a prediction that big, you're a genius.

John Arne
02-11-2016, 04:46 AM
New Mexico, Wisconsin and Michigan are heavily in favour of Clinton (~80% each state).

Byron
02-11-2016, 05:28 AM
And yet he still doesn't want to take my bet.

Spoonsky
02-11-2016, 06:40 AM
What the election will ultimately come down to, I think, is whether enough people will plug their nose and vote for Clinton in the midst of the hurricane of shit currently touching down on the election and her campaign. I imagine everyone already knows whether they'll vote for Trump or not, but there were probably people who'd convinced themselves to vote for Clinton after Trump's tapes who are now turning back to their disgusted third-party irrelevance.

One week, fuck me.

Spoonsky
02-11-2016, 06:42 AM
Mert and Nate Silver (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-yes-donald-trump-has-a-path-to-victory/) actually agree:

It’s true that Trump would have to make a breakthrough somewhere, by winning at least one state in Clinton’s firewall. But that’s why it’s not only reasonable but 100 percent strategically correct for Trump to be campaigning in states such as Michigan and Wisconsin. (I’ll grant that New Mexico is more of a stretch.) Sure, Trump’s behind in these states, but he has to win somewhere where he’s behind — or he’s consigning himself to four more years in Trump Tower instead of the White House. Michigan and Wisconsin are as reasonable as any other targets: Trump isn’t any further behind in them than he is in higher-profile battleground states such as Pennsylvania, and the demographics are potentially more favorable for him.

Raoul Duke
02-11-2016, 07:50 AM
I think we can all agree it'll be fucking fantastic when it's over and we have four years of respite from all this bollocks

Byron
02-11-2016, 07:57 AM
The comfort for Mert even if Clinton wins is that she's absolutely shit. She'll get 4 years, the Republicans get another crack and assuming they don't nominate a wibbling retard they'll win easily.

Disco
02-11-2016, 08:11 AM
I think we can all agree it'll be fucking fantastic when it's over and we have four years of respite from all this bollocks

Two years tops, then it all starts again.

Giggles
02-11-2016, 08:15 AM
It's doing my head in as it is and I couldn't tell you anything more than the two candidates.

EDIT: and that it's on the 8th but you could vote early if you posted it in.

phonics
02-11-2016, 09:09 AM

No chance. They'll spend 2 years trying to impeach her and then it's on to 2020.

Pepe
02-11-2016, 12:30 PM

+1

'Firewall.' :sick:

I even cancelled the subscriptions to the two journals I used to get because all they talk about is the election. Once it is over I'll reconsider.

mugbull
02-11-2016, 02:48 PM
You tell em!

leedsrevolution
02-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Can we have like a swear jar at TTH. Every time mert says "cuck" "alpha" etc he has to put £1 into it. We'd be fucking rich by the end of year. Australian rich mind you, not American rich.

Kikó
02-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Proper beta behaviour. :rolleyes:

Spikey M
02-11-2016, 06:41 PM
The comfort for Mert even if Clinton wins is that she's absolutely shit. She'll get 4 years, the Republicans get another crack and assuming they don't nominate a wibbling retard they'll win easily.

Problem is, that's what they keep doing. If they'd go for a fiscal conservative and leave all the god shit alone they'd walk in.

Lewis
02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
I lolled at her chimping out at 'Bill Clinton is a rapist' (fair play to the heckler there). Didn't deny it, like.

Raoul Duke
02-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Michelle Obama 2020 :rasta:

Pepe
02-11-2016, 08:28 PM
:sick:

Raoul Duke
02-11-2016, 08:45 PM
Racist

GS
02-11-2016, 10:50 PM
It's bizarre how an ability to speak in complete sentences is apparently evidence of your suitability for the presidency. I've seen serious political commentators suggesting Michelle Obama as a future POTUS. Whether it's because they're all caught up in THE MOMENT and they repent of it the next day or they actually believe it is anybody's guess.

Disco
02-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Be fair, once Donald Trump is in the last two you've opened the gates to pretty much anyone breathing. Tony Blair should have a go.

Lewis
This all started when they had to pretend she was good looking, and now they're trapped in the lie.

Shindig
"Newly-elected President Sean Penn."

GS
02-11-2016, 11:14 PM
You had some right shit candidates in the past - like Barry 'in your guts, you know he's nuts' Goldwater, George McGovern, or Walter Mondale - but they all got massacred in the public / popular vote. That wouldn't happen now, because the Americans have degraded political discourse to a ludicrous extent. There's a prevailing view that you could stick any chancer into the position and it wouldn't matter.

I thought it had reached peak hilarity with Palin in 2008. She could barely speak properly, yet the ticket got nearly sixty fucking million votes. And yet here we are.

Lewis
02-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Barry Goldwater was an American hero, and pretty much right about everything.

ItalAussie
03-11-2016, 12:06 AM
As a counterpoint, Barry Goldwater was wrong about everything and his successors broke the US irreparably.

ItalAussie
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
This all started when they had to pretend she was good looking, and now they're trapped in the lie.
She is though. :sorry:

(Don't worry, mert. So's Melania. Breathe.)

I do wonder if the Democrats are going to hop on the celebrity candidate train soon. I can absolutely see it happening a couple of elections down the track.

mikem
03-11-2016, 12:29 AM
You people really don't know how to have any fun in politics at all. I miss the sheer joy of Louisiana politics. This denial of wrongdoing is just wonderful:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/775736430911954944/photo/1

Boydy
03-11-2016, 12:39 AM

It'd be George Clooney, surely.

Shindig
03-11-2016, 07:20 AM
Kevin Kostner. :cool:

Queenslander
03-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Nah blokes it's Mel Gibson 😎

Lofty
03-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Saw a video of Arnie kicking off about Climate Change the other day which I believe isn't viewed as an issue by the republicans so he could be an option for the democrats.

The consolation of a Trump win is knowing that Trump would definitely detest Mert if he ever had the misfortune to meet him.

leedsrevolution
03-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Nah blokes it's Mel Gibson ��

This is Anerica we're talking about, it would be Britney Spears.

ItalAussie
03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Even if you believe Clinton is culpable at this point, we've basically reached Edwin Edwards/David Duke territory:

https://snarkypenguin.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/rad-duke-edwards-bumper-sticker.jpg

Better evil and competent. Again, I don't buy the mud that has been slung, but at this stage, even if I did, right?

Boydy
03-11-2016, 02:12 PM
This is quite good:

What I learned after 100,000 miles on the road talking to Trump supporters

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/nov/03/trump-supporters-us-elections?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Lewis
03-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Owen Jones' hostage-like appeal to American voters was good, as was the confirmation that his self-awareness has entirely vanished.

Jimmy Floyd
03-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Same thing as Brexit, almost identical in fact: divide between the winners and the losers from globalisation. The losers refuse to accept truths accepted by the winners; the winners refuse even to acknowledge the existence of the losers, or where they do, openly detest them. The winners have access to all the tools of the establishment, but they don't necessarily have democratic numbers on their side.

mikem
03-11-2016, 03:53 PM
People have boiled it far too much to that and JD Vance's Hillbilly Ellegy. It is also this (from one of the best conservative journalists around), which has been happening for much longer. Watching just parts of the accompanying Buckley / Regan debate (Regan comes on at about the 16 minute mark) to see how far debate has fallen since I was a kid is just so sad.

http://freebeacon.com/columns/crisis-conservative-intellectual/

Spoonsky
03-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Yeah. Mass media has really fucked up our politics.