PDA

View Full Version : Microagressions and The Rise of Victimhood Culture

igor_balis
07-01-2016, 01:16 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture/404794/

Interesting article about being OFFENDED. The original email response is absolutely insane.

Lewis
07-01-2016, 01:33 AM
We have a thread on this shit. It's a way for people without [worthwhile] problems to validate their existence by pretending that they have some.

John
07-01-2016, 01:48 AM
I'd like that article much more if it included confirmation that the unbelievable bitch behind that email response had been recently drowned.

Yevrah
07-01-2016, 01:53 AM
I haven't seen a single solid explanation for the OFFENDED movement. Lewis' might have something in it, but it's not the whole answer.

Lewis
07-01-2016, 02:03 AM
Read this (http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-crisis-of-character/17691#.Vo3HDhWLTIU) and then this (http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/never-mind-rhodes-its-the-cult-of-the-victim-that-must-fall/17762#.Vo3HCxWLTIU). That about covers it.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 02:44 AM
US centric, but this one is excellent:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

ItalAussie
07-01-2016, 05:54 AM
People enjoy feeling outraged. It's an addictive feeling, and it's not restricted to any particular viewpoint or side of the political spectrum. Journalism (especially political commentary) basically runs off peoples' craving to take umbrage at things.

We even get outraged over other people being outraged over the wrong things. The important thing is that we get to feel superior to somebody.

John Arne
07-01-2016, 06:01 AM
I'll tell you who is a prick.. Shannon Briggs.

Look at this... he interrupts Klitchko's session, he then starts shouting like a fucking moron and then continually acts like an uneducated bully, prodding and poking him and gets right in Klitchko's face... but as soon as Klitchsko touches his beard it's all "don't do that... don't touch me..." What a cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7du2Ep_j_B8

Henry
07-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Umbrage. :drool:

Spammer
07-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Read this (http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-crisis-of-character/17691#.Vo3HDhWLTIU) and then this (http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/never-mind-rhodes-its-the-cult-of-the-victim-that-must-fall/17762#.Vo3HCxWLTIU). That about covers it.

That first one is fucking brilliant.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
It is. Of course Ital plays things down as he probably identifies himself as all kinds of shit too.

Bartholomert
07-01-2016, 02:40 PM
People enjoy feeling outraged. It's an addictive feeling, and it's not restricted to any particular viewpoint or side of the political spectrum. Journalism (especially political commentary) basically runs off peoples' craving to take umbrage at things.

We even get outraged over other people being outraged over the wrong things. The important thing is that we get to feel superior to somebody.

Lol at this pathetic apologist false equivalency.

Offshore Toon
07-01-2016, 07:52 PM
It is. Of course Ital plays things down as he probably identifies himself as all kinds of shit too.
'I identify as male.'

ItalAussie
07-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Lol at this pathetic apologist false equivalency.
Your posts pretty much display perpetual outrage. You're like Exhibit A.

mugbull
07-01-2016, 08:51 PM
True, it's all about chill. We should re-educate those who have no chill. Thats our main goal.

phonics
07-01-2016, 09:26 PM
'Leave no chill behind'

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:03 PM
What annoys me about the victimhood culture is the extent to which it distracts from genuine, important problems in the world. There is a multitude of ways for people, especially bloody students, to enact social change and activism; "Oberlin Microagressions" is not of them.

Boydy
07-01-2016, 10:06 PM
This shit has captured the left, which pisses me off. No one gives a bollocks about class any more, it's all about fucking trans rights or some shit because these fuckers are all mollycoddled middle class wankers.

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:10 PM
And you're a white male, so you don't care about 'identity'. People will always focus on the part of their life where they're at a perceived disadvantage. That's why this shit happens primarily at colleges, which are probably the single biggest combination of diversity and wealth in the country.

I do agree with you, and I think most racial issues are at their heart economic issues, but then...

Pepe
07-01-2016, 10:11 PM
What annoys me about the victimhood culture is the extent to which it distracts from genuine, important problems in the world. There is a multitude of ways for people, especially bloody students, to enact social change and activism; "Oberlin Microagressions" is not of them.

This shit has captured the left, which pisses me off. No one gives a bollocks about class any more, it's all about fucking trans rights or some shit because these fuckers are all mollycoddled middle class wankers.

Correct. All that time and effort spent on microaggressions could be spent instead on regular sized aggressions. But no, lets focus on stupid shit such as statues and make the whole thing seem ridiculous.

The thing about the food being racist or cultural appropriation or offensive or whatever it was was a massive lol.

Magic
07-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Boydy coming across as being firmly on the white privilege pedestal has made my day.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Whites don't care about 'identity?'

Boydy
07-01-2016, 10:16 PM
See, with race I can actually see where people are coming from. And with feminism for the most part too.

Not enough women in boardrooms though? Give a fuck. Blow all the boardrooms up.

Raoul Duke
07-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Err, I think you mean peddle stool? :dc:

Boydy
07-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Privilege exists and it's a good way of analysing these things but socio-economic privilege (i.e. class) is the biggest hurdle of them all but it routinely gets overlooked because of most of the people who subscribe to this identity politics haven't really experienced it much.

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Whites don't care about 'identity?'

Well, the gays and the transgendered probably do. But no, none of the problems in Boydy's life will come from him being a white man.

People care (and therefore complain) about what affects them personally. Even if they have to reach very far for it, like the microagression lot. It's why Boydy cares about class and a black girl at Oxford cares about race.

mugbull
07-01-2016, 10:26 PM
But no, none of the problems in Boydy's life will come from him being a white man.

You really believe this?

Magic
07-01-2016, 10:27 PM

I meant narcotic.

Pepe
http://www.scribd.com/doc/293326897/Oberlin-College-Black-Student-Union-Institutional-Demands

:harold:

Magic
Well, the gays and the transgendered probably do. But no, none of the problems in Boydy's life will come from him being a white man.

People care (and therefore complain) about what affects them personally. Even if they have to reach very far for it, like the microagression lot. It's why Boydy cares about class and a black girl at Oxford cares about race.

It comes from him being shit, which is indiscriminate.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 10:28 PM

Seems to me like you have a bit of an odd view of what identity is.

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:30 PM
You really believe this?

I mean, he's got the forces of imperialism, white supremacy, capitalism, ableism, and a cissexist heteropatriarchy on his side. What else could he need?

In all seriousness I do believe it. What problems would come from it? (Affirmative action is debatable but he went to fucking Oxford anyways so that's out.)

Seems to me like you have a bit of an odd view of what identity is.

I think you'll find I said 'identity'.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 10:32 PM
'Fair enough' then.

Spammer
07-01-2016, 10:32 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/293326897/Oberlin-College-Black-Student-Union-Institutional-Demands

Oh my days :D

Pepe
07-01-2016, 10:36 PM
There are so many racial issues in this country and look at the shit those cunts are worrying about.

We DEMAND a written form that assures us of the institution’s commitment to increase the number of black psychologists within the Counseling Center. Furthermore, we DEMAND that Black students be able to sit in on the interviews of these HIGHLY QUALIFIED candidates in order to ensure that these professionals cater to the needs of the Black students. a. We also DEMAND the hiring of Black healers/ non western health practitioners because not everyone finds comfort and healing solely from a psychologist.

Spoonsky
07-01-2016, 10:40 PM
"Black healers" :D

Do you think there are any past equivalents to this? Students sitting in to demand better bowling alleys in 1963?

Boydy
07-01-2016, 10:58 PM
I mean, he's got the forces of imperialism, white supremacy, capitalism, ableism, and a cissexist heteropatriarchy on his side. What else could he need?

In all seriousness I do believe it. What problems would come from it? (Affirmative action is debatable but he went to fucking Oxford anyways so that's out.)

I think you'll find I said 'identity'.

I wouldn't say imperialism or capitalism are on my side. Americans don't really understand class properly in the way that it operates in Britain either. It's everywhere. You could probably have 'regional privilege' as a thing in the UK as well.

Lewis
07-01-2016, 11:26 PM
I always wonder how many of these black people making DEMANDS got into these places on reduced offers. Because if you want to talk about discrimination, 'homies'...

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 02:05 AM
Your posts pretty much display perpetual outrage. You're like Exhibit A.

Not all outrage was created equal idiot.

Dark Soldier
08-01-2016, 02:42 AM
Mert is gonna end up pussy whipped and licking his woman's arse clean after she's dropped a load down the bog. Come 30 he'll be a straight SJW fag.

Spoonsky
08-01-2016, 02:44 AM
I wouldn't say imperialism or capitalism are on my side. Americans don't really understand class properly in the way that it operates in Britain either. It's everywhere. You could probably have 'regional privilege' as a thing in the UK as well.

I was just quoting from the DEMANDS, not srs. Though, in the long long-term, you'd have to say that imperialism is definitely on your side.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 03:17 AM
Not all outrage was created equal idiot.

Whatever gets you that sweet dopamine hit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2997433/

Spoonsky
08-01-2016, 03:22 AM
I'm reading through that whole Oberlin document, and it is sort of interesting. They're big in to reforming the jazz department. They also say that having required Western and US History courses "places the history of these regions in a higher esteem than other regions of the world." This, though:

We DEMAND that spaces throughout the Oberlin College campus be designated as a safe space for Africana identifying students. Afrikan Heritage House should not be the only space allotted for the promotion and acknowledgement of our community specific needs. a. We DEMAND that no less than one full room or space be given to this need in: i. Wilder Hall ii. The Science Center iii. Mudd Library

Isn't that literally segregation?

Pepe
08-01-2016, 03:22 AM
As the only POCs in here, my voice and mert's carry far more weight than any study.

Pepe
08-01-2016, 03:25 AM
I'm reading through that whole Oberlin document, and it is sort of interesting. They're big in to reforming the jazz department. They also say that having required Western and US History courses "places the history of these regions in a higher esteem than other regions of the world." This, though:

Isn't that literally segregation?

The whole thing is just asking for more blacks so they can not deal with whites if they choose to do so.

Spoonsky
08-01-2016, 03:28 AM
Ooh, now they're demanding that certain professors be placed on the tenure track. And an $8.20 / hour stipend for black student leaders. You know, there are probably easier ways to get a job than writing up a 15-page list of demands.

Now they're demanding the firing of eight different staff members.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 03:29 AM
Ooh, now they're demanding that certain professors be placed on the tenure track. And an $8.20 / hour stipend for black student leaders. You know, there are probably easier ways to get a job than writing up a 15-page list of demands.

Now they're demanding the firing of eight different staff members.

I want someone to DEMAND that I get tenure track. :(

Spoonsky
08-01-2016, 03:30 AM
It actually ends with a couple cool ideas.

The implementation of a program allowing willing community members to take one course per semester at Oberlin College for FREE.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 03:35 AM
That's the problem with being a jackass. The few actually decent proposals in there are lost amid the mire of entitlement.

EDIT: Read through the whole thing. They're really concerned about the Jazz Department.

Davgooner
08-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Some of these are great. As mentioned, they distract massively from the serious issues that may be present.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-university-accused-of-cultural-appropriation-over-undercooked-sushi-a6781821.html

Wankers.

phonics
08-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Why is this all from Oberlin? Did someone come in and give them a cultural appropriation 101 and leave out a bunch of shit?

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Why is this all from Oberlin? Did someone come in and give them a cultural appropriation 101 and leave out a bunch of shit?

I was wondering about that. I'd literally never heard of the place before this all started. They seem to have the loudest idiots with the most forceful PR.

There are few things that annoy me more than student politics. Come in, make friends, sit down, learn stuff, go home. Stop making it complicated.

phonics
08-01-2016, 11:50 AM
At the end of the day it's Ohio, even Trips thought he was intelligent compared to the general populace.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Obama went there so that should tell all you need to know about that liberal cesspool.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Whatever gets you that sweet dopamine hit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2997433/

Does that carefully calculated, forced condescending tone make up for being a loser in real life?

Henry
08-01-2016, 12:16 PM
It's difficult not to be condescending to you, mert. In fairness. You lack any capacity for embarrassment.

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Does that carefully calculated, forced condescending tone make up for being a loser in real life?

If you're going to be aiming the Trump-esque 'loser' title at people. You'd be better off pointing it at someone who isn't one of the proven smartest/successful people on the board.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:22 PM
If you're going to be aiming the Trump-esque 'loser' title at people. You'd be better off pointing it at someone who isn't one of the proven smartest/successful people on the board.

Yeah, by what parameter? Since when is being an autistic academic living barely above the poverty line considered success?

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Yeah, by what parameter? Since when is being an autistic academic living barely above the poverty line considered success?

And now we're mocking people with autism. Nice.

Henry
08-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Since when is being a spoiled fratboy with deranged notions about his own extremely limited intelligence?

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:24 PM
It's difficult not to be condescending to you, mert. In fairness. You lack any capacity for embarrassment.

How's installing cable in people's houses during the day while moderating a forum of 20somethings at night while 30+ treating you? Fufilling?

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
He's so edgy guys. Watch out!

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:30 PM
How about everyone treats everyone else's opinion with a degree of basic respect, without cowering behind false airs of superiority while pandering to the lowest common emotional denominator of the board. Enough stifling of open discussion because the opinions expressed offend certain 'respectable' sensibilities. Have the courage to actually engage in discussion without reflexively dismissing the premise; or are you scared for being exposed for the charlatans you are?

Henry
08-01-2016, 12:32 PM
How's installing cable in people's houses during the day while moderating a forum of 20somethings at night while 30+ treating you? Fufilling?

Not sure, since that's not my job.

You're obviously seething that you don't get the respect and deference you feel you're due around here. It's amusing.

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:35 PM
How about everyone treats everyone else's opinion with a degree of basic respect, without cowering behind false airs of superiority while pandering to the lowest common emotional denominator of the board. Enough stifling of open discussion because the opinions expressed offend certain 'respectable' sensibilities. Have the courage to actually engage in discussion without reflexively dismissing the premise; or are you scared for being exposed for the charlatans you are?

You've given us YEARS of output for reasons not to respect your opinion, it's weird how everyone manages to do the political arguments here but the two people who go on about media conspiracies are mocked. Go post about how homosexuals are child molesters and the like somewhere else. Cheers.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:37 PM
You've given us YEARS of output for reasons not to respect your opinion, it's weird how everyone manages to do the political arguments here but the two people who go on about media conspiracies are mocked. Go post about how homosexuals are child molesters and the like somewhere else. Cheers.

Lol at you defending your heroes like the pathetic subservient lap dog you are. Their approval doesn't make you any less shit you realize. Have an independent thought for once.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Not sure, since that's not my job.

You're obviously seething that you don't get the respect and deference you feel you're due around here. It's amusing.

Did you get fired?

Lol at 'seething'; you're like 35 years old and just lashed out viscerally with a personal attack directed at a 23 year old on an anonymous Internet forum because he hurt your feelings. Take a look in the mirror brah.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Since when is being a spoiled fratboy with deranged notions about his own extremely limited intelligence?

U mad brah? Lol.

Henry
08-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Did you get fired?

It was never my job. What I do right now is mostly systems analysis, some project management and other telecoms stuff. And I post here from the office mostly.

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Lol at you defending your heroes like the pathetic subservient lap dog you are. Their approval doesn't make you any less shit you realize. Have an independent thought for once.

:D

Amazing.

Lewis
08-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Can we get back to over-indulged plebs who don't like their worldview being challenged? Thanks.

Henry
08-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Have an independent thought = agree with mert. :mad:

Also, who or what is "brah"?

Byron
08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Can we get back to over-indulged plebs who don't like their worldview being challenged? Thanks.

:D dots

Byron
08-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Whooooooooooosh.

phonics
08-01-2016, 12:53 PM
I realised as soon as I clicked but had to delete it on mobile. Fucking Microsoft Edge.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 12:56 PM
I missed quite the seethe.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 01:03 PM
I missed quite the seethe.

Ah invoking 'seethe', the classic means to enforce a verdict on who won an argument on the basis of pre existing popular opinion rather then conceding to objective reality. Be more lazy and cowardly, I dare you.

And like fuck were you not avidly following the discussion. You're just too pussy to take part until the dust has settled and you can safely make a condescending post pretending to be above it all, coasting on an ill gained reputation you're terrified of having challenged.

Lol at the deleting and undeleting of your post. You don't think I see through that transparent insecurity?

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Evening out at the cricket. My team lost, and I was appropriately outraged.

EDIT: The deleting was because I decided it was probably wrong to needle you unnecessarily. But I was too late, and what's done is done. I'm sure you'll get by.

Davgooner
08-01-2016, 01:06 PM
If in doubt blame the 'liberal' media.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 01:08 PM
In this case I can probably blame the sublime talent of Mahela Jayawardene, but the theory is sound.

Bartholomert
08-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Evening out at the cricket. My team lost, and I was appropriately outraged.

EDIT: The deleting was because I decided it was probably wrong to needle you unnecessarily. But I was too late, and what's done is done. I'm sure you'll get by.

You know I know, even if others might buy your bullshit. That's enough for me.

Jimmy Floyd
08-01-2016, 01:18 PM
In this analogy, Mert is Andrew Fekete. Or maybe Martin McCague. I'm not sure.

ItalAussie
08-01-2016, 01:22 PM
In this analogy, Mert is Andrew Fekete.
:D / :moop:

Pepe
08-01-2016, 02:09 PM
The state of this shit. :D

Pepe
08-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Whites all ganging up on a vulnerable POC, where have I seen this before? I DEMAND a safe space be created in the forum where we can be protected from these imperialist cunts.

SvN
08-01-2016, 02:24 PM
At least Mert is here to make up for Harold's absence.

Byron
08-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Whites all ganging up on a vulnerable POC, where have I seen this before? I DEMAND a safe space be created in the forum where we can be protected from these imperialist cunts.

I believe you could go to The Dugout? I'm sure that's a good safe space.

Spoonsky
08-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Bad day at Law School? :cab:

Boydy
09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/08/transgender-woman-raped-girl-before-transition-male-prison-davina-ayrton

There's a lot of logical twisting and turning defending that on a Facebook group I read.

Offshore Toon
09-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Does he still have his cock attached?

Spammer
09-01-2016, 04:53 PM
That's a pretty interesting case if she does. Male prison = get raped. Female prison = rape.

I'd say get her in the male prison if that's the case. You can't put a convicted rapist with a cock in a female prison for fucks sake.

Dquincy
09-01-2016, 05:06 PM
I'll tell you who is a prick.. Shannon Briggs.

Look at this... he interrupts Klitchko's session, he then starts shouting like a fucking moron and then continually acts like an uneducated bully, prodding and poking him and gets right in Klitchko's face... but as soon as Klitchsko touches his beard it's all "don't do that... don't touch me..." What a cunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7du2Ep_j_B8
Is this chap for real? What an annoying c*nt.

QE Harold Flair
14-01-2016, 02:45 AM
Hello all, I have been saving up lots of videos for these kind of issues. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skhn8izMN4k

Dquincy
14-01-2016, 08:13 PM

:hat: