PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift

-james-
07-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Its going to cost about £500. I think I'm going to buy one. Who else is tempted? Anyone want to talk me out of it?

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculus-rift-pre-orders-now-open-first-shipments-march-28/

Yevrah
07-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I'll buy it, but only at such time when it works with games I want to play, rather than just novelty experiential crap.

Yevrah
07-01-2016, 01:00 AM
And also, is it not coming to console?

Seems odd that it's bundled with an X-Box controller but will only work on PC.

Mike
07-01-2016, 07:21 AM
It's PC only.
Sony have their own 'Sony VR' coming out for the PS4.

elth
07-01-2016, 09:15 AM
X-1 isn't powerful enough to run it, so it's PC only.

Given you need a PC that's probably £1000 to run it effectively, it seems like a bit of a lol release to me. I'm sure the hard core will love it but it has almost no generalist consumer appeal at that price.

Disco
07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
I'd like to have a go with one but the impracticalities put me off buying one. Track IR would be a much more sensible setup for me.

Pepe
07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
I would love to give one a try but I don't even play videogames anymore so there would be absolutely no point in me investing in such a thing.

Struggling to find a good niche for it. Hardcore gamers are more into the competitive side and whatnot and probably won't be into it if someone on a regular monitor is crushing them on Call of Duty or whatever. I think this, just like the Wii, would attract the casual gamer much more as it presents an opportunity to 'experience' something different, more immersive and interactive. Not sure how many casuals will be willing to spend thousands on it though. We'll see.