PDA

View Full Version : BBC Three

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 06:20 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35221706

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/166F8/production/_87469819_bbcthreelogo.jpg

Why?

"The first is 'make me think'... The second is 'make me laugh'... The third, the exclamation mark, is 'give me a voice', which is what we will do for young people," she said.

Oh and Nikki Carr should be sacked for that quote alone.

Magic
04-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Shite channel that has produced nothing of quality.

Disco
04-01-2016, 06:32 PM
I'd forgotten it was going online only, not that it would make a blind bit of difference to me.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Shite channel that has produced nothing of quality.

They opened the door for Little Britain and Gavin & Stacey, they might not hold up that well now but they were damn good at the time.

Disco
04-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Little Britain started on Radio 4. :dc:

Shindig
04-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Monkey Dust and Nighty Night were the last hurrah for it.

Alex
04-01-2016, 06:48 PM
:sick:

This is proper wankery of the highest order. Young people have already got "a voice" and an outlet to be "content creators", it's called fucking Youtube.

Shindig
04-01-2016, 06:57 PM
There's a respectability and sense of curation that comes with the BBC 'brand'. Some people might see it as a stepping stone to writing a pub scene in Eastenders.

Boydy
04-01-2016, 07:05 PM
It's fine. If they can slip some educational stuff in for the yoof by having a Radio 1 DJ present some documentaries amongst crap sitcoms, great.

Dark Soldier
04-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Ideal started on BBC3, its forever a champion due to that.

Boydy
04-01-2016, 07:06 PM
How Not to Live Your Life and Pramface were both pretty good as well.

Magic
04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Ideal started on BBC3, its forever a champion due to that.

With Johnny Vegas? I remember watching that as a young teen. Probably didn't even get half the jokes. Rathead or whatever he was confused me the most.

Manc
04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Pramface. :D

Shindig
04-01-2016, 07:18 PM
There was also the glorious 'Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum'.

Dark Soldier
04-01-2016, 07:30 PM
With Johnny Vegas? I remember watching that as a young teen. Probably didn't even get half the jokes. Rathead or whatever he was confused me the most.

Cartoonhead bro. Psycho Paul was the best. E4 is generally wank, but it spawned Phoneshop so its a don channel too.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 07:46 PM
There was also the glorious 'Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum'.

And who could forget Song, Marry, Avoid.

Pod :cool:

Offshore Toon
04-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Don't Tell The Bride is alright.

Toby
04-01-2016, 07:52 PM
They opened the door for Little Britain and Gavin & Stacey, they might not hold up that well now but they were damn good at the time.

Made David Walliams ans James Corden household names, in other words. Great defence.

Lewis
04-01-2016, 08:12 PM
:sick:

This is proper wankery of the highest order. Young people have already got "a voice" and an outlet to be "content creators", it's called fucking Youtube.

I thought that. It's proper out-dated [communist] thinking.

Pleb
04-01-2016, 09:11 PM
If this is an attempt to copy Netflix there having a fucking laugh.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 09:12 PM
If this is an attempt to copy Netflix there having a fucking laugh.

Not sure where you've gotten that from.

Yevrah
04-01-2016, 09:13 PM
If I were a commercial tv broadcaster, which the BBC to all intents and purposes are, I'd be fucking shitting myself about Netflix and (to a lesser extent) Amazon Prime.

Jimmy Floyd
04-01-2016, 09:17 PM
I can't see how ITV is still in business.

Yevrah
04-01-2016, 09:21 PM

Simon Cowell, Ant and Dec and their shows + premium rate phone lines I'd imagine.

I haven't seen (m)any of the other lauded Netflix shows, but (and sorry to bang on again about it) Making a Murderer just couldn't have worked to anywhere like the same degree if the Beeb or ITV had commissioned it, which both clearly wouldn't have done anyway.

Disco
04-01-2016, 09:27 PM

It's been run on barebones for a while prior to being flogged off (to some Americans last time I read anything about it).

Jimmy Floyd
04-01-2016, 09:28 PM
The wider access to American style shows (the budgets being hundreds of times larger over there of course, which allows their mega production scale) is driving that I would have thought. Brits are quite capable of making just as good, or better TV but the money isn't there unless there's a Netflix style setup. Even the top level stuff we make, like Wolf Hall, would be a 12 episode roadshow over there rather than our 6.

Baz
04-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Don't Tell The Bride is alright.
It's absolutely top, especially when filmed somewhere you know. The St. Helens episode was a masterpiece in accidental comedy.

Will I still be able to watch it on tv somewhere?

Yevrah
04-01-2016, 09:34 PM
The wider access to American style shows (the budgets being hundreds of times larger over there of course, which allows their mega production scale) is driving that I would have thought. Brits are quite capable of making just as good, or better TV but the money isn't there unless there's a Netflix style setup. Even the top level stuff we make, like Wolf Hall, would be a 12 episode roadshow over there rather than our 6.

They're also restrained by a schedule.

In the case of MaM (sorry, ok I'm not really) it wouldn't have worked for shit over a 10 week run. Episode 1 would have aired, a load of people would have watched it, prompting even more to watch the second episode, prior to some twat you work with (maybe not in your case Jim...) ruining it while gobbing off at the water cooler.

Much like Blockbuster video (albeit clearly not as bad yet) both the BBC and ITV haven't moved anything like quick enough with the times. I mean, what in the fuck is ITV Player all about and why the fuck is the Beeb's stuff on iPlayer time barred? It's an absolute shambles.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Simon Cowell, Ant and Dec and their shows + premium rate phone lines I'd imagine.

I haven't seen (m)any of the other lauded Netflix shows, but (and sorry to bang on again about it) Making a Murderer just couldn't have worked to anywhere like the same degree if the Beeb or ITV had commissioned it, which both clearly wouldn't have done anyway.
Simon Cowell is losing it though.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/52/980x702/gallery-1450699764-strictly-x-factor-final.jpg

Plus you had Ollie Murs fucking up and with BGT, although this was really little, you had people in an uproar over the stunt dog being used.

Yevrah
04-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Oh X-Factor and BGT surely don't have long for this world, there's no talent or X-Factoryness left that hasn't already been on tv.

The dog stuff and Murrs you could almost see being deliberate in an effort to generate some publicity people would actually give a shit about for two absolutely moribund shows.

IACGMOOH certainly has legs though, I think it's fair to say.

igor_balis
04-01-2016, 10:27 PM
I've never really minded BBC3 producing some reality tv shite - though I do sort of think that stuff should largely be left to commercial stations, at least the BBC equivalents have always felt a little less cynical and unpleasant.

I just wish they'd have made more risky stuff as well. All symptoms of the BBC needlessly chasing demographics and ratings and shit, and it pisses me off - they made BBC3 the station for the 18-25 C1C2 people or whatever the fuck they call it... 'lets give them loads of crap sitcoms about drinking with the lads and reality shows about how to wear nice make up because our focus groups have said blah blah blah.' Putting (admittedly pretty great) high brow arts and history documentaries on BBC4 for the middle class liberal types makes them feel further justified with the half-arsed stuff they put out elsewhere.

This approach will have meant plenty of interesting stuff, particularly more ambitious comedy projects, won't have been commissioned because they didn't seem to fit any specific catchment zone. Twats.

John
04-01-2016, 10:38 PM

Making a Murderer wasn't 'commissioned', as such. The filmmakers had all the footage they were going to need before they even shopped it to potential buyers. When they knew what format it was going to take, they cut it accordingly.

Yevrah
04-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Making a Murderer wasn't 'commissioned', as such. The filmmakers had all the footage they were going to need before they even shopped it to potential buyers. When they knew what format it was going to take, they cut it accordingly.

Didn't a couple of networks reject it as well?

John
04-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Loads of people passed on it, I think. 'The Netflix Model' sort of defies analysis, because they won't tell anyone how many people are watching their content, making the standard means of judging how a TV show is doing obsolete. They give subscriber numbers, which aren't at all impressive given the apparent market domination they've achieved, but it's all very clandestine. It's definitely the direction TV production as a whole is heading.

BBC Three is shit.