PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

Reg
23-12-2015, 10:21 PM
From 00:01am tonight, the Beatles' music will be available on Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music and other such things. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/23/beatles-back-catalogue-music-streaming-spotify-apple-music

To make this a proper thread, do you like them?

Raoul Duke
23-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes, they're awesome - not just in relation to the quality of the music, but in terms of what they did for 'pop' music in general.

Sir Andy Mahowry
23-12-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm not a fan of the poll options.

I think they're pretty damn good and I can see why they are rated as high as they are.

I prefer The Who though.

mugbull
23-12-2015, 10:39 PM
They're good, but their collective individual works are probably just as good, if not better.

There is way too much hype about various aspects of their existence though

Jimmy Floyd
23-12-2015, 10:42 PM
I would rather listen to The Who, but the Beatles were light years ahead of their time, J.S. Bach style. Before them pop music at its edgiest was some guy in a suit strumming a guitar whilst a few people went 'oooh-oooh-oooh' in the background. After them, yeah.

White album is their best work.

Lewis
23-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Yeah right, Mokkers, mate. Yeah.

Jimmy Floyd
23-12-2015, 10:45 PM
They're good, but their collective individual works are probably just as good, if not better.

Not sure if serious. John Lennon post-Beatles was probably the most boring cunt in the history of music, whilst Paul McCartney was just shit. George Harrison had his moments I guess, and Ringo was good on Thomas the Tank Engine.

ScousePig
23-12-2015, 10:52 PM
My dad grew up with them and used to go see them, so naturally to me they seem like pretty much the most influential band. I've never been that into them though.

ScousePig
23-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Not sure if serious. John Lennon post-Beatles was probably the most boring cunt in the history of music, whilst Paul McCartney was just shit. George Harrison had his moments I guess, and Ringo was good on Thomas the Tank Engine.

He did die in 1966, to be fair.

Giggles
23-12-2015, 11:01 PM
From Rubber Soul it was awesome, some of the best ever. Before that it's pure guff.

mugbull
23-12-2015, 11:07 PM
From Harrison and Lennon I enjoy more than from the Beatles as a whole. Lennon's personality might have been inane and boring but his music certainly was not. I never really listened to McCartney too much

mugbull
23-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Eric Burdon was better than them all in any case.

Pepe
24-12-2015, 12:26 AM
The music is good fun, catchy as hell mostly. Beyond that nothing special. I know they were supposed to be quite influential and whatnot but I am not really taking that into consideration as I don't know much about them really.

ItalAussie
24-12-2015, 01:59 AM
I really enjoy some of their songs, and there are others that do absolutely nothing for me. But good on them for trying a whole range of stuff. I suspect they suffer from the Seinfeld Effect now: some of their stuff sounds a bit dated and middle-of-the-road, but only because it was ground-breaking when they did it, and everyone else copied them.

Top 3:
1. Eleanor Rigby
2. Here Comes the Sun
3. My Guitar Gently Weeps

Spoonsky
24-12-2015, 02:08 AM
I rediscovered the Beatles in the fall, so to speak, and I really do think they're brilliant. They have so much depth; as far as individual albums / songs go it's debatable, but their discography in total has got to shit on almost anyone else's. Bands these days are one-trick ponies in comparison. And for as much as they suffer from the Seinfeld Effect, they still have quite a lot of songs that are so distinct that you could never imagine them being done by anyone other than the Beatles.

Revolver is their best album. Best song would have to go to I'm Only Sleeping, Here There and Everywhere, or perhaps I Am the Walrus.

Lewis
24-12-2015, 02:12 AM
Abbey Road is their best album. FACT.

Spoonsky
24-12-2015, 02:18 AM
I'm surprised you'd say that, Abbey Road seems like one of their most self-indulgent / frivolous albums.

Lewis
24-12-2015, 02:38 AM
I don't think it's self-indulgent (White Album fucking hell), but there is probably something to be said for self-indulgence once you reach a certain level.

igor_balis
24-12-2015, 03:10 AM
I'm not a fan of the poll options.

I think they're pretty damn good and I can see why they are rated as high as they are.

I prefer The Who though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtmSNumAmwM

igor_balis
24-12-2015, 03:12 AM

There is a lunatic on another forum I frequent who reckons Paul McCartney's post-Beatles stuff is just about the best music ever made. Terrifying.

George H's My Sweet Lord is probably my favourite song by any Beatle ever TBF.

Ian
24-12-2015, 06:00 AM
My parents were never big fans and I've never made the effort to properly listen to them so while I "get it" they're not a band I have any particular feelings towards. Lots of covers of their stuff that I like, mind.

Baz
24-12-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm a bit of a casual fine, meaning I think some of their songs are okay but I don't know who wrote what and what's on which album, for example.

My favourite Beatles song is probably Nowhere Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV2qiQO6cA

No idea what that video's about. :D

Also I like Revolution because Heatmiser (Elliott Smith's band) covered it for a Nike advert that never got made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip4KKefpc0g

Elliott Smith did a few other Beatles covers (http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2014/03/10/elliott-smith-beatles-cover-songs-john-lennon-jealous-guy-blackbird-i-me-mine-im-so-tired-yer-blues/) too, but Revolution always stuck with me, along with this George Harrison cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei__Nxmzsus

So yeah, Beatles wrote some nice songs, I guess.

SvN
24-12-2015, 09:15 AM
They're the best band of all time.

Paul McCartney's solo work wasn't shit, he had plenty of brilliant songs. Band on the Run is a superb album. He definitely missed Lennon being his filter though, so a lot of shit did get released. Both of them were nowhere near as good post-Beatles. Harrison has one incredible album which largely consisted of rejected Beatles songs followed by a bunch of quite good albums.