PDA

View Full Version : General gaming discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Ian
20-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Forgot we didn't have one yet.

I'm still playing Tomb Raider, anyway. It's a taken a while but I'm feeling into it now. Can't be arsed hunting down every icon and it still feels a bit like Lara Croft and the Temple of QTEs at times. I'd also rather it were a touch less shooty because some of the puzzles and stuff keep having me thinking they're going to pull out a Sands of Time-style cavern-spanning puzzle but they're all quite simple.

Disco
20-09-2015, 09:18 AM
I did the torture mission in GTAV yesterday, it really is quite unpleasant and entirely out of place.

Ian
20-09-2015, 09:38 AM
It's proper gruesome. It's not that I don't think there's a place for that sort of thing, more that I'm not sure 'torturing somebody while playing as a cackling madman' is it.

I was desperately hoping there was something I could do to get him to cave faster but I suspect there isn't.

Disco
20-09-2015, 09:51 AM
No, I think the scene just has to play out.

Nearly everything in GTA is an exaggerated parody or pastiche of something, or just a puerile gag. This was just straight up pulling a guys teeth out in a needlessly interactive manner.

leedsrevolution
20-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I quite enjoyed the torture bit. Is that worrying?

Ian
20-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Well Cain on olde TTH did too, and he basically enjoyed anything was unnecessarily violent.

So yes, if you actively enjoyed it it probably is slightly worrying.

CJay
20-09-2015, 01:10 PM
It's weird that the titles of these monster threads are different. They were part of the furniture. :(

Anyway, I still play Skyrim in the year 2015. :cool:

Yevrah
20-09-2015, 01:20 PM
How have you kept your interest in it up Clay?

Cord
20-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Anyway, I still play Skyrim in the year 2015. :cool:

How many hours is that?

I'm playing through The Witcher 3, which I like quite a lot, but I think I've hit the open world game 'meh' wall. I've seen all the various map bits, I've seen most of the monster types, I've collected most of the various things there are to collect (I don't even bother looking at the stats of the things I pick up any more). Problem is, I'm probably about half way through. The Witcher seems to have much more variety than is standard as well, I'd reached the same point with Skyrim about 15% of the way in to it, so I've no idea how you are still going.

I love open world games, but I think we may have made them too big for their own good.

Disco
20-09-2015, 01:56 PM
I've probably got one more character left in me Skyrim-wise, problem is I don't have anything like the motivation required to set up all the mods. Vanilla would be too tedious to even consider.

CJay
20-09-2015, 04:00 PM
I can only guess my hours as there's no such stat on Xbox. I have 1200+ saves on one profile, and probably 500+ on another. And it's all vanilla. I don't play for hours at a time, and I can go as long as I want without playing, but I keep coming back to it for an hour here and there depending on what else I'm playing (which isn't much at the minute).

The little details are what keep me interested I think, along with using an unusual build and roleplaying.

Yevrah
20-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Tell me more about the unusual build and the roleplaying?

CJay
20-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Well, the build isn't that unusual, I guess. It's more that I've thought it through than it being unusual. I'm a cloth-wearing archer-mage basically. I use bound bow and runes (opening with a weakness poison or a frenzy poison, so I use Speech to make those cheaper) to make the rune more effective. Enchanting (used wisely) keeps my bound bow's damage from plateauing (which it soon does when you can't smith it), while not using alchemy keeps me from breaking the game damage-wise. As an archer my idea is that I should be very squishy - I can generally take one hit from an enemy without dying - but I should also be able to deal a lot of damage. I often spend time before a fight finding a nice high location from which to open fire.

For this character I'm trying to feel more like an actual apprentice at the college, as opposed to the quickfire 'apprentice -> archmage' result of the questline. So upon being told to look for the books I'm taking that as a point to wander round doing misc quests for the college, basically learning my trade. Part of the role-play is getting to the college (a long trek!) in time for the daily lectures. Obviously not every day, but whenever I'm there. It just makes sense as an apprentice.

I don't eat or drink, because it doesn't feel immersive no matter how I do it, but I sleep every night - at the college if I'm there, or in an inn. Little roleplaying things involve not stripping opponents because they have valuable armour, not grinding enchanting to 100 straightaway (something that's ruined some other characters). I enchant new items every time I put a new perk in the base enchanting perk. As a result of this slower-paced style I have much less gold than usual, so I use Speech to make what I need cheaper. I'm level 21 now and Saarthal is the only part of the College questline that I've done.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but it's different to my original characters who powered up as often as they possibly could and spent little time just wandering around adventuring or feeling like they were actually part of a faction.

P_3
20-09-2015, 04:40 PM
You weirdo. :D

I definitely need to get back and finish Skyrim. Never got that far in the story but still managed 100+ hours.

Disco
20-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm yet to do a proper summoner/Conjuration mage, I wouldn't mind making use of the ability to raise skeletons from collected body parts.

CJay
20-09-2015, 04:48 PM
You weirdo. :D

I definitely need to get back and finish Skyrim. Never got that far in the story but still managed 100+ hours.

Really? From the Skyrim forum I read, this style of play seems pretty commonplace. It is an RPG after all...
Disco (does this mention thing work?) - I always found necromancy disappointingly situational in Vanilla, but some of those SkyRe additions to it make it a lot more useful. Bit weird having to lug a load of old bones around with you though. :D

Disco
20-09-2015, 05:23 PM
I don't think there's any mechanics for it in Vanilla, but with mods it should be easy enough to get a decently creepy abode and go out 'collecting'. Most fun RP playthrough I've had was as a bandit type, camping in the wilderness and coming into villages etc to rob people. Always moved on at a certain bounty level which made it pretty brutal (due to Frostfall) when I had to retreat into the mountains.

phonics
21-09-2015, 10:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QpKJcca.jpg

Dan
21-09-2015, 11:07 PM
How far through Tomb Raider are you now, Ian?

I wasn't as far through as I thought I was - recently had Lara's eighth journal out of ten, and I assume they're all kind of like chapter indicators, so I'm probably nearly at the end this time, but I won't be able to get much time in the next few days, so I doubt I'll finish it before next week.

Kinda tempted to go through & seek out the collectibles, especially as I don't really have anything else I'm hugely keen to play at the minute, but yeah, the puzzles are shit & there are a few too many QTE's at times.

The story is decent though, and the set pieces are pretty excellent. Combat is enjoyable too, even if they did manage to sneak a few more QTE's in there too.

Disco
24-09-2015, 09:54 PM
GTA V finished, quite good that was, if rather easy. Got a few things left to get to 100% completion, lets see at what point I get bored with that.

Adam
24-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Playing LOTR shadow of mordor, not a bad game for £20.

Yevrah
24-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Well, the build isn't that unusual, I guess. It's more that I've thought it through than it being unusual. I'm a cloth-wearing archer-mage basically. I use bound bow and runes (opening with a weakness poison or a frenzy poison, so I use Speech to make those cheaper) to make the rune more effective. Enchanting (used wisely) keeps my bound bow's damage from plateauing (which it soon does when you can't smith it), while not using alchemy keeps me from breaking the game damage-wise. As an archer my idea is that I should be very squishy - I can generally take one hit from an enemy without dying - but I should also be able to deal a lot of damage. I often spend time before a fight finding a nice high location from which to open fire.

For this character I'm trying to feel more like an actual apprentice at the college, as opposed to the quickfire 'apprentice -> archmage' result of the questline. So upon being told to look for the books I'm taking that as a point to wander round doing misc quests for the college, basically learning my trade. Part of the role-play is getting to the college (a long trek!) in time for the daily lectures. Obviously not every day, but whenever I'm there. It just makes sense as an apprentice.

I don't eat or drink, because it doesn't feel immersive no matter how I do it, but I sleep every night - at the college if I'm there, or in an inn. Little roleplaying things involve not stripping opponents because they have valuable armour, not grinding enchanting to 100 straightaway (something that's ruined some other characters). I enchant new items every time I put a new perk in the base enchanting perk. As a result of this slower-paced style I have much less gold than usual, so I use Speech to make what I need cheaper. I'm level 21 now and Saarthal is the only part of the College questline that I've done.

It probably doesn't sound like much, but it's different to my original characters who powered up as often as they possibly could and spent little time just wandering around adventuring or feeling like they were actually part of a faction.

Top stuff. This sort of thing is definitely how you get the most from the game and why I keep claiming it's so immersive and deep, which it definitely isn't if you're just grinding and racing to max stuff ASAP.

Disco
24-09-2015, 10:23 PM
There's a brilliant mod called Alternate Death (I think), instead of dying at zero health you drop down and get a second bar, if someone finishes you off you can get one of several different outcomes. You may get captured and locked/tied up or maybe rescued by a variety of NPC's (it may even take into account people you've helped). Makes a massive difference to immersion, so much better than just reloading.

Yevrah
24-09-2015, 10:30 PM
I've never done it, but the idea of a 'dead is dead' save at some point does appeal.

CJay
24-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Aye, Dead is Dead does tempt me, but having played for this long with so many characters the thought of starting again and again pains me too much. Disco's mod sounds amazing, but out of my reach sadly. Some players play it at legendary, which basically means you have to max all 3 crafting skills in order to stand a chance. Dull. I've found playing at lower difficulties (though my 'normal' characters play at master) allows you to be more creative with your build and to ignore the boring crafting skills altogether.

Yevrah
24-09-2015, 10:56 PM
I've played it on legendary quite a bit and didn't need to do that.

CJay
24-09-2015, 11:00 PM
But you died, right?

Disco
24-09-2015, 11:02 PM
You can make yourself completely invincible via crafting, and with enough grinding they can be maxed without going too far outside of towns and other safe places. It would be boring as shit but it could be done.

Yevrah
24-09-2015, 11:04 PM
But you died, right?

Oh, sorry, didn't realise you meant Legendary on DiD.

Nope, haven't tried that, it would be mental.

I play the game normally on legendary difficulty though.

Dan
25-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Finished Tomb Raider earlier. Pretty good overall, solid 8/10 despite the flaws both Ian & I have mentioned several times, and I'm looking forward to the new game now. Apparently there's DLC for this one, so I may look into that & see if it's actually meant to be any good.

Completion is currently at 80%, so I'm tempted to try to 100% the main game & max out all the upgrades, especially as most of the collectibles are easy to find now I have the cartographer skill, but as the temptation to buy a One grows I'm thinking I need to finish off a few more games instead of pissing about with collectibles in a game I've already finished.

I'm thinking I either finish Rayman Origins or Saints Row 3, or get started on Dishonored. Probably got a handful of downloaded games that'll tempt me too.

CJay
25-09-2015, 12:18 AM
Finish Rayman Origins - it's not as good as Legends, but still brilliant. It's better as a two-player game, I think.

Dan
25-09-2015, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I was going to give that a run tonight while the NFL is on. Don't think I got too far into it, but I did enjoy the bit I did play.

Legends is the Xbox One game, right? May have to pick that up when I finally upgrade.

CJay
25-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Oh wait I always get them mixed up for some reason. Origins is the much better game. The music levels are works of art. You can unlock all the Origins levels in Rayman Legends, which is a neat addition.

Guido-
26-09-2015, 01:03 AM
been playing a bit of Dirty Bomb lately, steam game any steam gamers here?

Shindig
26-09-2015, 09:09 AM
http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplaysdark

It's over. 43 days. Everything beaten.

Guido-
26-09-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm so bored lately waiting for FM too come out I sold all my PS4 games but GTA but I don't even play that all my mates play Destiny and all have the DLC fuck paying out the prize of a game for DLC I aint a idiot, so I normally game on my Laptop but in the past 2 weeks I've played just 10 minutes of Dirty Bomb that was yesterday lol.

Plus my mate bought me a game and I sold it 2 days later and he keeps asking me to play so avoiding the PS4 right now Hehe

Smiffy
29-09-2015, 02:52 PM

elth
30-09-2015, 04:11 AM
So, to follow on from the previous forum thread - non violent 360 co-op couch gaming. First and third person or sidescrolling only.

We have Lego, Portal and the Rayman games. Anything else we're missing?

Also it's occurred to me that I can probably grab a wireless receiver for my 360 controller and set up my notebook as a Big Picture Steam box occassionally, so single machine, paddable co-op Steam games would also be helpful.

Raoul Duke
30-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Minecraft?

Disco
30-09-2015, 11:46 AM
You could probably get a Wii for pence these days and have access to every Mario flavoured game ever.

In other news I'm quite liking the beginning of Divinity: OS, it throws a lot of exposition and scene setting at you early on when I would have preferred a slightly longer intro dungeon/area to get used to the combat etc but on the whole it's very enjoyable. The dialogue is quite cheesy at times and I can see how people might not like the tone but I'm a corny bastard so it's fine.

Talking to animals is the best thing ever (I'm currently doing a bit of feline matchmaking) and I'm running about with a lady who thinks she's a bear and a mute hobo who I found living in a well.

elth
30-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Minecraft?

I'd rather not game than play that.

phonics
30-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Has Elth adopted a young Somalian child, Angelina Jolie-style?

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-09-2015, 01:46 PM
I'd rather not game than play that.

What a man.

Dark Soldier
30-09-2015, 03:26 PM
BOOM MOTHERFUCKERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYE2EZOaOQ

Sir Andy Mahowry
30-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Commentary is a bit wet.

Dark Soldier
30-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Its a guy who works for the studio, he's sarcastic as fuck. They couldn't afford to bring someone in to do something proper.

Shindig
01-10-2015, 06:20 AM
And it works so well.

Yevrah
05-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Interesting.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a672090/ubisoft-teases-mysterious-new-game-survival-is-timeless.html#~pqhfarpo4GJUcr

Demerit
05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Interesting.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a672090/ubisoft-teases-mysterious-new-game-survival-is-timeless.html#~pqhfarpo4GJUcr

I'd assume an all new game, Far Cry/Assassins Creed don't fit the survival/horror theme that I think that teaser is trying to..tease?

Shindig
05-10-2015, 09:56 PM
So a couple of guys I work with seem to like THPS5. I still kinda want to check it out in spite of the negative reception it's got.

Benny
06-10-2015, 08:09 AM
Interesting.

If it is Far Cry with dinosaurs, holy shit I want that.

Yevrah
06-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Will Far Cry with Mammoths do?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a672316/the-far-cry-series-goes-primal-in-the-trailer-for-prehistoric-spinoff.html#~pqmenxiXsmOfn6

Disco
06-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Can I climb a mammoth to reveal more of the map?

Demerit
07-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Hmm, doesn't excite me that much. Wonder why it's not just FarCry 5.

Ubisoft should take more time on their games..

ItalAussie
07-10-2015, 03:18 AM
I'm in the market for a new game. My computer isn't particularly powerful, I'm a little bit cheap, and I play on a touchpad, so fast mouse reflexes are out. I have a record of enjoying adventure games, platformers, metroidvanias, and roguelikes, but I'm willing to venture out of those genres if something's good.

phonics
07-10-2015, 09:11 AM
I'd say Ori and the Blind Forest but I'm not sure how great that would be on a keyboard.

CJay
07-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Why not just buy a mouse? :cab:

Ian
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm in the market for a new game. My computer isn't particularly powerful, I'm a little bit cheap, and I play on a touchpad, so fast mouse reflexes are out. I have a record of enjoying adventure games, platformers, metroidvanias, and roguelikes, but I'm willing to venture out of those genres if something's good.

You played Ben There, Dan That and the sequel?

ItalAussie
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd say Ori and the Blind Forest but I'm not sure how great that would be on a keyboard.It's great - I played through it a few months ago.

For clarification, I can still use the mouse. It's mostly just reflex FPS-type stuff that is a bit tricky. I even managed Portal 1 & 2 on this thing, so it's really not much of an impediment.

You played Ben There, Dan That and the sequel?
I have. It was a totally random purchase that I made, without even having seen a review. The best random game I've ever bought, I think.

Elbastido
07-10-2015, 10:58 AM

How about Broken Age by Double Fine? It's pretty solid as far as adventure games go and it wasn't too expensive last time I saw.

Benny
07-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Will Far Cry with Mammoths do?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a672316/the-far-cry-series-goes-primal-in-the-trailer-for-prehistoric-spinoff.html#~pqmenxiXsmOfn6

If they're 'realistic' then that means we won't be seeing dinosaurs then, which is shit :(

Ian
07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
What about the Trilby games by Yahtzee, Ital? I played 5 Days a Stranger and quite enjoyed it. It's free though I honestly can't remember how long it was.

ItalAussie
07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
How about Broken Age by Double Fine? It's pretty solid as far as adventure games go and it wasn't too expensive last time I saw.

I'm angry at Broken Age at the moment. I picked up the first episode and played through it, and it was decent fun. So I got the second episode when it was released, and it turns out that you need to play through the first episode again. I've not yet mustered up the goodwill to do so.

Ian
07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
If that's right and they've not fixed it... :face:

Also, see above re: Trilby.

Elbastido
07-10-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm angry at Broken Age at the moment. I picked up the first episode and played through it, and it was decent fun. So I got the second episode when it was released, and it turns out that you need to play through the first episode again.

I didn't realise that was the case - that's pretty tragic.

Have you played Machinarium? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

I've been on a bit of a retro kick recently and played through the Monkey Island games for the first time in ages, along with Grim Fandango. Starting on the Enhanced Editions of Baldurs Gate nowto see if they're still as good as I remember.

phonics
07-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Can't believe I forgot it. It's made for Ital.

Undertale, it's a short (5-7 hours) RPG inspired by Earthbound but with a lot of humour, references to older games and a great 8bit OST. One character is a Skeleton called Sans who can only talk in Comic Sans. You get the jist. It's getting big reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hojv0m3TqA

ItalAussie
07-10-2015, 12:51 PM
If that's right and they've not fixed it... :face:

Also, see above re: Trilby.Trilby never really grabbed me, to be honest. I'll put it on my list though, given the recommendation.

I didn't realise that was the case - that's pretty tragic.

Have you played Machinarium? I thoroughly enjoyed that one.
Played it. Loved it.

Can't believe I forgot it. It's made for Ital.

Undertale, it's a short (5-7 hours) RPG inspired by Earthbound but with a lot of humour, references to older games and a great 8bit OST. One character is a Skeleton called Sans who can only talk in Comic Sans. You get the jist. It's getting big reviews.

This might be just what I'm looking for. I'll get on it.

Ian
07-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Trilby never really grabbed me, to be honest. I'll put it on my list though, given the recommendation.

It's very much a specific sort of adventure game you'll recognise so between that and the humour it probably won't take you much longer for you to decide if you like it than it'd take you to download and install it anyway if you decide to give it a bash.

Pleb
07-10-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm now playing The Witcher 3 :cool:

The controls are much better than 2.

Disco
07-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Botanicula is a delightful little point and click game from the same people who made Machinarium (and the two Samarost games).

FTL is perfectly suited for touchscreen, and is also brilliantly amazing and will last you basically how ever long you like.

Ronin is a side-scolly, kind of turn based, tactical little game about slicing people and up. Think Gunpoint with swords, and if you haven't played Gunpoint have a look at that too.

Raoul Duke
07-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Papers, Please Ital?

ItalAussie
07-10-2015, 11:50 PM
Botanicula is a delightful little point and click game from the same people who made Machinarium (and the two Samarost games).

FTL is perfectly suited for touchscreen, and is also brilliantly amazing and will last you basically how ever long you like.

Ronin is a side-scolly, kind of turn based, tactical little game about slicing people and up. Think Gunpoint with swords, and if you haven't played Gunpoint have a look at that too.
Played FTL and Gunpoint (greatly enjoyed both). Ronin and Botanicula are new to me though. I'll pick them up and give them a go.

Papers, Please Ital?
Played it for a bit. Enjoyed it, but it made me sad. :D

I'll give Trilby a go as well.

Ian
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/02/the-escapists-free/

I won!

Demerit
08-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Watched a gameplay video for the new Hitman game today, looks excellent.

I've never actually played any of the previous ones, but quite looking forward to this.

Benny
08-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Downloading this new Star Wars Beta, looks pretty tits.

The Bruce
09-10-2015, 08:23 AM
It's got the feel of the original Battlefronts but definitely has the Battlefield treatment, the scale of the Hoth battle is something to behold.

Raoul Duke
09-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Transformers: Devastation looks ace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbTbFzos78g

phonics
10-10-2015, 11:09 AM
At the same time it looks about as deep as a puddle. Shame.

Raoul Duke
10-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I know. But this is Transformers and I'm such a nerd for them I'm ok with that.

Yevrah
10-10-2015, 01:18 PM
This obsession with depth, which I'm convinced doesn't properly exist in video games anyway, is really baffling.

Raoul Duke
10-10-2015, 06:36 PM
If it does exist in games, then this definitely doesn't have it. But that's fine, I just want to mooch about punching things as Grimlock or Wheeljack

Shindig
10-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Games operate on a very simple level. You have stuff to do. You do it. You get stuff for doing it. Repeat. Transformers looks amazing.

Disco
10-10-2015, 06:47 PM
A fighting game involving nostalgia fuelled robots has all the depth it really needs right there.

Yevrah
11-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Are the Farming Simulator games any good?

I like the idea of running a business and upgrading vehicles and what not if I'm successful, but the idea of moving bails of straw about appeals a lot less.

phonics
11-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Mate.

Ian
12-10-2015, 04:05 PM
As those sort of simulators go I bet there are plenty who consider farming simulators to be among the best in their field.

Anyway, firstly, this just makes me think I should go back and play some more Sir.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/12/sir-you-are-being-hunted-multiplayer/

And I like the sound of this:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/12/80-days-review/

Pepe
12-10-2015, 04:08 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/02/the-escapists-free/

I won!

I bought that in some sale and played for a few hours at most. Couldn't manage to do anything but be a model inmate.

EDIT: Actually, I did miss work once because I couldn't find a way to get there. I am such a rebel. :cool:

Disco
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
I see what you did there Welby.

Ian
12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
You're farm more observant than I realised.

Disco
12-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Alright, it was good the first time but it's getting corny now.

Benny
12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
As those sort of simulators go I bet there are plenty who consider farming simulators to be among the best in their field.

Anyway, firstly, this just makes me think I should go back and play some more Sir.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/12/sir-you-are-being-hunted-multiplayer/

Looks a laugh, I suggest TTHard buy it when available.

Sir Andy Mahowry
12-10-2015, 06:26 PM
It's already out.

£14.99 though, I doubt the peasants of TTHard would be up for it.

Ian
12-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Here's an AAR that looks pretty swish for Paradox fans.
http://imgur.com/a/vSPGG

Will be digging into that later.

Ian
13-10-2015, 12:37 PM
http://www.denofgeek.com/games/37316/everything-we-know-about-cyberpunk-2077

So hope this is good.

Shindig
15-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Totalbiscuit's cancer is terminal. :(

Ian
16-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Fucking hell, didn't know he had it. That's a bit shit.

In less depressing chat, RPS list the best free PC games:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/16/best-free-games-on-pc/2/

ZangbandTK. :drool: I shall forever remember the save where I tried farming a room full of fast-spawning lice for XP before realising as soon as I moved away from the door they'd flood out and swamp me before I could close it. Masq is also great, and Spelunky deserves it's place at the top.

Also Alien Swarm could have potential for The Third Hard.

P_3
16-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Blink must be one of the best powers in a video game ever. I've been carrying out a non-lethal run of Dishonored and teleporting around avoiding combat is such an enjoyable experience. Just finished the Golden Cat stage in about half the time it took me to brute force through it the first time. Glorious. :drool:

Ian
16-10-2015, 09:02 PM
I did a second run of Dishonored partly because I love the game but partly because the first time round I was so busy blinking all over the place I barely used any of the violent methods/toys/powers. It was nice to use it with other powers again. Playing non-lethal and abusing it in tandem with slow/stop time in particular was a great get-out-of-jail card.

It'll be the first thing I upgrade in Dishonored 2 assuming it uses a similar skill system.

P_3
16-10-2015, 09:46 PM
They've fucked up the control scheme a little bit, I feel. I really struggle with holding the left trigger when trying to adjust where my blink will take me. That plus the fact you have to constantly swap powers around if you want to use two at the same time. Or maybe I've just got a case of Mahowhand. :moop:

Ian
17-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Playing on PC. :drool:

Mazuuurk
17-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Been doing the LOTV beta recently and it's so much fucking fun. Even Archon mode, which I thought would be shit, is really fun.

Shindig
17-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Alright, I need to get a staw poll going to see what people fancy me playing during Extra Life. Its PS4 only but I need to have candidates installed on the HDD so I'm not installing shit on the day. Off the top of my head, here's the library:

PES 2016
MGS V: The Phantom Pain
MGS V: Ground Zeroes
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Bloodborne
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
DmC
Sleeping Dogs
Steamworld Dig
Spelunky
Pix the Cat
Retro City Rampage
Super Meat Boy
Broken Age
Strider
Transistor
The Golf Club
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Velocity 2X
Guacamelee
MotoGP 15
MXGP
Ride
Project Cars
Sparkle Unleashed
Rocket League
Trails Fusion
NBA 2K14
Far Cry 4
Metro Redux
Wolfenstein New Order.
Geometry Wars 3

Think that's about it.

P_3
17-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Sorry, what's Extra Life?

Shindig
17-10-2015, 12:10 PM
A 24 hour Charity event taking place on the 7th November. (http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.event&eventID=525)

Basically, I'm streaming for 24 hours for the kids.

My donation page (http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=166259)

P_3
17-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Ah, ok. That's cool. Good luck.

How are you going to divide your time for the games? An hour for each game? Or in the case of stuff like PES and Project Cars, a couple of matches/races?

Shindig
17-10-2015, 12:35 PM
I don't fancy being that strict. I've got a few I fancy going back to and if I get to a significant part in Bloodborne or whatever, I may feel compelled to stay put. I'm mainly just putting the feelers out to see if anyone has any preferences.

Mike
17-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Good luck with it, myself Baz and The Reid did one last February for Special Effect, we're doing it again next year too.

We did mostly co-op games, I dunno if I could do one on my own though! Cool list of games though, maybe add some older, easy to play games?

P_3
17-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Seeing as you're doing this for a life saving charity, why don't you see how few games you can get through without dying? If you die, concede a goal, finish 2nd or below in a race, then you have to move on to another game. Gives you plenty of scope to plan a run and would be quite fun to watch. Obviously you can plan to leave the likes of Dark Souls 2 and Bloodbourne until later or get them out of the way first seeing as you are probably unlikely to get through either without dying. Whilst stuff like PES can be used to break the monotony of other game genres. Thoughts?

Shindig
17-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Good idea. A few of the other participants go for incentives as well just to bring something different to the table.

phonics
18-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Saw your MGS piece on the Giant Bomb Community roundup Shinners. Very nice.

Shindig
18-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Much obliged. I had a lot of fun writing it.

Ian
22-10-2015, 01:46 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/22/doko-roko-kickstarter/
This has 'future Steam sale purchase' written all over it.

Well, if it gets kickstarted and made and put on Steam.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Just pledge $10 on Kickstarter then, you probably wont get the game as cheap as that when it does come out.

Ian
22-10-2015, 08:55 PM
If it makes it's way to steam I will definitely get it cheaper than that at some point. If I wanted it enough I'd have stumped up the cash.

Hence the above post.

Sir Andy Mahowry
22-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Fuck you pay them.

Shindig
22-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Nah, Ian's got this right. Kickstarters are for people who like cooking meat in a bathtub of boiling water.

Ian
23-10-2015, 01:48 PM
There are a few things I would probably contribute to a kickstarter for but I haven't found one yet. "Pay for my potentially shit thing, koind zurr?" No thanks.

Demerit
23-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Ended up buying AC: Syndicate today as I walked past a shop that had it.

Haven't played an AC game since the original, so quite looking forward to it.

Ian
26-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Sonic 2... with a Portal gun.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/26/sonic-2-portal-gun-hack/

Maybe Valve could nick an idea from Sonic for Half-life. Like releasing a fucking game. :panda:

Andrew
26-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Just managed to bag a few games off Ebay for my PS4

Alien Isolation £8
Rayman legend £7
Dark Souls 2 £15
God of War 3 £9
Pes 2016 £18
Shadow of Mordor £10
Devil May Cry £9

Got 10 days off to work my way through them.

Mike
26-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Sweet deals!

Andrew
26-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Cheers Mike, was a bit wary of getting 2nd hand games from there but they have all been delivered within days and in near enough perfect condition.

phonics
26-10-2015, 07:45 PM
I completed Broforce. It's okay.

Ian
26-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Shadow of Mordor. :drool: What a fucking game. What I would say is just batter through the main missions until you get the abilities to properly start fucking with Uruks and then start playing about with the world. It's superb though.

Rips off a good few games but does it brilliantly and with equal parts respect and disrespect for the source material to nail it. Superb.

That it basically appeared out of nowhere ("Oh guys, by the way, we've just released this mega open world Batman/asscreed-esque murder-a-thon based on one of the biggest licenses going, just so you know) makes it all the more astonishing.

Shindig
26-10-2015, 09:04 PM
DmC is pretty swell too. Shame (well, maybe not) that Ninja Theory never got a chance to make another one.

Raoul Duke
26-10-2015, 09:34 PM
If I win the lottery and/or actually have some spare time I'd like to have a second play through of Mordor. Ace game.

Ian
26-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Some other in-development open world game had better be ripping off the nemesis system.

So, so satisfying to see that there was an Uruk chief who'd be a megabastard to try and kill so you draw out his bodyguards and get them under your control and brainwash half the orcs under his command before bringing the whole fucking house down on him.

Raoul Duke
26-10-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm surprised Ass Creed didn't rip it off.

Imagine if GTA did it :drool:

Ian
26-10-2015, 10:11 PM
I dunno that it'd work in Assassin's Creed unless it involved some pseudo-magic object allowing you to do it. GTA though, bribing dudes with promises of money, power and women would be a no-brainer though.

Cord
26-10-2015, 10:38 PM
I didn't completely love Shadow of Mordor, it was more of a solid workhorse type of game for me, but the nemesis system really should be one of those mechanics that becomes standard issue in open world games. A proper brilliant idea snuck into an otherwise completely unoriginal game.

Ian
26-10-2015, 11:02 PM
I think I liked the game more than it deserved based mostly on LotR fanboyism and Nemesis so that's probably fair.

I will, however, be marking down any and all post-SoM open worlders if they don't replicate some aspect of the Nemesis system (or at least do something inspired by it) because why the fuck wouldn't you?

Shindig
26-10-2015, 11:39 PM
I left it at that bit where you need to kill 3-4 warchiefs or something. At that point its not a Nemesis system. It's GTA's wanted level.

Andrew
26-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Well, just smashed God Of War remastered considering the game is basically a Ps3 title the graphics didn't look out of place on the ps4 to be honest, don't see much replay value in it now I've completed it but was pretty enjoyable smashing fuck out of bosses 50 x bigger than you!!!

Ian
26-10-2015, 11:50 PM
I left it at that bit where you need to kill 3-4 warchiefs or something. At that point its not a Nemesis system. It's GTA's wanted level.

This is why you hunt down the bodyguards. Partly because it's a fun way to biff the big boys and partly because the more orcs you try to kill amd dominate the more chance you get to watch one of them become your actual nemesis.

Mine was a fucking infuriating orc twat who became immune to basically everything as he inexplicably worked his way up from mega-pleb to bodyguard, with a metal plate covering half of his head from previous mashings I'd given him but returning the favour by turning up in basically any fight which was close but I felt I was about to gain the upper hand in. I forget his name but I hated that wretched little twat with a genuine passion.

Disco
28-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Fired up Far Cry 4 for a bit tonight. Fuck me it's pretty, so far my sightseeing has been rudely interrupted by firefights but I'm hoping they tail off soon so I can go hiking.

Ian
29-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm going to be firing it up to get started this afternoon, Disco. Want to be in not-too-laughable shape for our co-op date. :bamster:

Also: The Arkham Knight PC stuff rumbles on.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/batman-arkham-knight-problems/

12 gig of RAM. :D

Shindig
29-10-2015, 07:10 PM
What a hot mess.

Disco
29-10-2015, 11:20 PM
I'm going to be firing it up to get started this afternoon, Disco. Want to be in not-too-laughable shape for our co-op date. :bamster:

Watch out for the fucking eagles, they could be the new horrible-ostrich-thing-fuckoffuckofffuckoff.

Ian
29-10-2015, 11:56 PM
Yep, those eagles are a colossal ballache. You played much of it yet?

I like how Ajay doesn't question even for a minute that now he just goes around killing folk. At least whatisname from 3 at least pretended to be all sickened by it. Ajay seems to have shrugged and got on with luring bears in to murder folk.

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Just managed to bag a few games off Ebay for my PS4

Rayman legend £7

Is absolutely outstanding.

Andrew
30-10-2015, 12:44 AM
ItalAussie Indeed it is, Castle Rock had me replaying the level over and over sat there grinning and tapping my foot like a madman.

The music from the 20.000 lums under the sea level is :drool:

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 03:37 AM
ItalAussie Indeed it is, Castle Rock had me replaying the level over and over sat there grinning and tapping my foot like a madman.

The music from the 20.000 lums under the sea level is :drool:

Getting the music levels perfectly is just so amazingly satisfying.

Disco
30-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Yep, those eagles are a colossal ballache. You played much of it yet?

I like how Ajay doesn't question even for a minute that now he just goes around killing folk. At least whatisname from 3 at least pretended to be all sickened by it. Ajay seems to have shrugged and got on with luring bears in to murder folk.

I've done one bell tower and horrifically skinned quite a few animals in between hiding from eagles.

Ian
30-10-2015, 10:09 AM
That's basically where I'm at, as well as a side-quest or two.

I imagine we'll be more than ready for the fortresses it describes as being co-op only difficulty (though that actually means 'don't do it yourself unless you're very careful/ have the skillz, I imagine.)

Benny
30-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Is the co-op only two players I take it? I quite liked Far Cry 3.

phonics
30-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Yeah but it's not the Farcry 3 co-op that was dog shit. It's just the open world and all story missions get turned off.

Disco
30-10-2015, 10:42 AM
I bought an SVD (which I can't carry) so I should be ready for anything.

Not seen any fortresses but as long as they aren't guarded by boars and eagles it should be fine.

phonics
30-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Found this today

https://twitter.com/BadLayouts

I love Twitch

P.S. You can watch Bob Ross on Twitch now.

http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

Nick
30-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Having completely fallen out of love with FM over the past 4 or 5 months, I am gradually getting back into using my PS4 for something more than a DVD player.

Over the past week I have been balls deep in The Last of Us which, until now, had been firmly on my 'Bought but Unplayed List of Shame'. Went out and bought GTA V yesterday and 'wasted' my day off playing that.

I'm shit at both, and haven't played a console properly for years, but I'm hoping I'll improve. :p

Ian
30-10-2015, 12:27 PM
I'm very much enjoying Far Cry 4 so far. Highlights include a random Golden Path chap suddenly screaming EEAAAAGGLLLLE!!! and firing wilding into the air (I'm with you, buddy) and finding myself being attacked by a wheelbarrow in a shed.

Disco
30-10-2015, 12:33 PM
GTA V is a stupendous piece of work, and I've not even touched the online stuff.

Disco
30-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm very much enjoying Far Cry 4 so far. Highlights include a random Golden Path chap suddenly screaming EEAAAAGGLLLLE!!! and firing wilding into the air (I'm with you, buddy) and finding myself being attacked by a wheelbarrow in a shed.

I've not met any wheelbarrows yet. :uhoh: I have nearly been killed by not-Tibets mental drivers on several occasions though, once when driving a tuk-tuk (fyi I drive tuk tuks pretty much everywhere).

One of the first things I saw outside of the starting town was some guys shouting about an eagle and firing wildly into the air, at the time I thought they were being a bit quaint and over-reacting. Later I found out these heroes must the GP's crack troops as only they could be brave enough to take on those feathery bastards with just a 3-1 advantage.

Ian
30-10-2015, 02:29 PM
The wheelbarrow was just clipping the shed wall after I nudged it but I did take damage from it.

Later I found out these heroes must the GP's crack troops as only they could be brave enough to take on those feathery bastards with just a 3-1 advantage.

Hah. :D

You say it'll be tomorrow you're up for some co-op action?

Ian
30-10-2015, 03:31 PM
I get the plight of the Kyrati people, I do, but it's hard to remember that when you're hunting wild boar with a bow from atop an elephant.

phonics
30-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Galak-Z is one of the most frustrating games. There's clearly a tight, easy to learn, hard to master combat system but the way they want you to play the game with 0 checkpointing means I've had to do the tutorial 3 times. I don't think I'll play it again.

Disco
30-10-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm off to Worcester first thing tomorrow morning so tonight isn't really on. I'll pm you or something when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

Ian
30-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Righto. Well I'm out at night but I'm not sure when and then Sunday will probably be a goer all day.

Also, the first time I used one of those tokens which allows you to call in a merc to help you HE got attacked by an eagle rather than me. :cool:

Ian
31-10-2015, 01:23 PM
After the story/Ajay stuff mentioned further up, the second thing I've found where I find Far Cry 3 (and obviously 2) better is predators. Unless I find myself confronted by any enraged rhino without cover I don't cack my pants if I get set upon by a tiger by surprise and it's only early in the gane still. I'm sure in FC3 I felt like I was dicking about with crap weapons for ages.

Danny
01-11-2015, 02:12 AM

Also: The Arkham Knight PC stuff rumbles on.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/batman-arkham-knight-problems/

12 gig of RAM. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/128710596369779495

Refunds offered

Ian
01-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Quite right. What an absolute shambles.

I know PC is a funny platform to develop for but has there ever been a worse release than this? I'm sure there must have been. Probably something involving either GFWL or uPlay.

phonics
01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
From the comments section

after just cause 3 is release i'm boycotting any game from this publisher, as they dont respect pc players

You show them buddy! Sounds like you're very committed to this boycott.

Ian
01-11-2015, 12:14 PM
I still remember the Call of Duty [whichever one PC boycott where something like 70% of the members of the boycott group were screenshotted playing it on release day.

Shindig
01-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Its like Yev saying he's going to skip FIFA for a year.

Yevrah
01-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Its like Yev saying he's going to skip FIFA for a year.

I have this year. There's no chance me buying it now.

DC
01-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Can somebody with PES2016 tell me it is genuinely the best thing ever?

Shindig
01-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Console or PC? I think its an improvement on last year's which was a pretty good start on the new consoles. This year the editing is improved but its still a lengthy DIY process. Plays well and weather actually impacts how the pitch plays. If there's still some reservations, wait for the inevitable price drop. On PC its basically the last-gen version, sadly.

Disco
01-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Ok Far Cry, 4 Rhino skins required to make a new.....4-man tent? Re-upholster my car? A nice 3 piece suite?

Nope, a wallet. Fuck you game logic.

Danny
01-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Can somebody with PES2016 tell me it is genuinely the best thing ever?

Calling 7om

DC
01-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I'l not buy it then. No excuse for shit PC versions.

Shindig
01-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Ok Far Cry, 4 Rhino skins required to make a new.....4-man tent? Re-upholster my car? A nice 3 piece suite?

Nope, a wallet. Fuck you game logic.

How much leather do you get off an exploded Rhino? Someone must've done the science on that. There's just far too much faff with Far Cry 4.

Disco
01-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Oh no, you don't get anything if you blow it up. I'm going after them with elephants now.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2015, 05:59 PM
A bit of soloing today on Far Cry 4 and I've taken my tally of destroyed gyropcopters from 2 up to 4.

Ian
01-11-2015, 06:24 PM
You are the worst ever gyrocopterist.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2015, 06:29 PM
It's probably the reason why The Golden Path have lost faith in me and have decided to run me over a couple of times.

Ian
01-11-2015, 06:47 PM
What with that and us charging about their bases on elephants.

Disco
01-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Do Gyros cut out at a certain altitude or am I just being a mong?

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Do Gyros cut out at a certain altitude or am I just being a mong?

They do.

I was trying to go over a mountain, it cut out and then it kept cutting back in when my gyro was sliding down a mountain. The scraping sound the blades were making against said mountain was really annoying.

As was the gyro deciding to explode after a minute or so.

Ian
01-11-2015, 07:11 PM
There's a certain raised tableau bit near the area you start out which is especially problematic as wrong'uns like to mill about on it and you can't get that much clearance before the gyro goes ape.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
I just had an elephant turn aggressive :(

I used it to kill a rhino, jumped off to skin said rhino and then the elephant started trying to stomp the fuck out of me.

Ended up running away slightly and then he cooled down again.

Raoul Duke
01-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Started playing Grim Fandango today to tide me over until Fallout 4. Got up to the end of the first segment.

It's great, but there are a bunch of puzzles where it'd be impossible to figure them out without the help of the internet.

Demerit
01-11-2015, 08:45 PM
I've attempted Grim Fandango 4 times now, each and every time the save has become corrupted and I've not gone back.

Raoul Duke
01-11-2015, 10:03 PM
On PS4?

7om
01-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Calling 7om

Don't start me off. I'd forgotten about that shite.

Shindig
01-11-2015, 11:01 PM
I packed in Super Meat Boy this morning. I haven't got the nouse. This comes after me having a nightmare on Bloodborne as well.

wullie
01-11-2015, 11:05 PM
I have this year. There's no chance me buying it now.

Wish I had this time as I'd planned. Even though I was given it as a gift I feel shafted by EA.

CJay
01-11-2015, 11:22 PM
This talk of FC4 has me tempted to boot it up again. I'm not sure how far through it I've got - I think I'm still doing quests for those two, whatever they're called. Is that how the story eventually progresses or am I missing something obvious?

How big is the map? Is it FC3-esque, as in having a whole other section that you unlock halfway through? Can I simply set out in the direction of any radio tower to clear the fog of war?

ItalAussie
01-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Started playing Grim Fandango today to tide me over until Fallout 4. Got up to the end of the first segment.

It's great, but there are a bunch of puzzles where it'd be impossible to figure them out without the help of the internet.
The first time I played (circa 1998 or 99), I finished it without a FAQ. But that was when adventure games were designed to be pondered over several months.

Disco
01-11-2015, 11:27 PM
You can go wherever you like I think. Does anyone else feel like they're getting through the the perk tree quite quickly? I might just be dicking around more than the game intends me to but I seem to have quite a few and I;ve only done about two campaign missions.

Raoul Duke
01-11-2015, 11:37 PM
The first time I played (circa 1998 or 99), I finished it without a FAQ. But that was when adventure games were designed to be pondered over several months.

Some puzzles are discoverable and logical, but others are just random. The one where you have to set the timing of some tree-harvesting thing, then flick a switch on the controls and put a wheelbarrow on an air pipe...it's not really a puzzle, just an obscure arrangement of requirements.

ItalAussie
01-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Some puzzles are discoverable and logical, but others are just random. The one where you have to set the timing of some tree-harvesting thing, then flick a switch on the controls and put a wheelbarrow on an air pipe...it's not really a puzzle, just an obscure arrangement of requirements.

The air pipe problem was a bugger, I'll grant you that. But it was more a matter of execution than concept - I don't remember it being particularly tricky to figure out what needed to be done. Actually making it work was a little bit nastier.

Yevrah
02-11-2015, 01:02 AM

Indeed. Games were just harder way back when and I think, in the main, gamers were just better.

Me and a mate started and finished Monkey Island 2 back in the day without any help from anyone. No chance that happens these days.

ItalAussie
02-11-2015, 01:12 AM
Indeed. Games were just harder way back when and I think, in the main, gamers were just better.

Me and a mate started and finished Monkey Island 2 back in the day without any help from anyone. No chance that happens these days.

I think we allowed ourselves more time to play around with ideas. Normally I would have a couple of adventure games on the go at any given time, in the knowledge that progress in any particular one would sometimes be sporadic. I would have notepads full of hints and clues that I'd picked up, as well as hand-drawn maps and the like. There are puzzles that I was stuck on for weeks at a time, but the satisfaction when the pieces all fell into place was immense.

I think it was Yahtzee Croshaw who noted that easily accessible FAQs have fundamentally changed the genre. It's difficult to resist the solution to a challenging puzzle when the answer is just a click or two away. The idea of playing a game with a notepad by the computer is downright ludicrous now.

ItalAussie
02-11-2015, 01:22 AM
That's just got me thinking about some of the great puzzles I've come across:

- The marble puzzle in Riven (the most impossibly difficult, and yet fair, puzzle I've seen in an adventure game)
- The very final puzzle in Monkey Island 2 (the epiphany when you realise what you actually have to do is unmatched - I don't want to ruin it here)
- Getting the hamster to the future and warmed up in Day of the Tentacle
- The Gold Machine puzzle in Zork III (the ur-example of a puzzle where all the pieces click into place satisfyingly, in a text adventure)
- Figuring out the uses for the songs in Loom , especially when you realised that playing them backwards could reverse their effects
- Escaping the junk ship in Space Quest III
- The moment when you realise how to find Salvador at the end of Grim Fandango is incredibly touching

I've seen Riven described as the closest a game can come to a zen koan, and that's probably a reasonable call. It's scrupulously fair (sometimes in very obtuse fashion), but incredibly demanding.

elth
02-11-2015, 02:20 AM
The only really, really bad puzzle in Grim Fandango is the signpost one. All the other ones are tough or fiddly, but not too unfair. Although the one with the flame dogs or whatever they were annoyed the crap out of me because it relies on timing too much.

Always worth pushing through though.

ItalAussie
02-11-2015, 02:38 AM
The only really, really bad puzzle in Grim Fandango is the signpost one. All the other ones are tough or fiddly, but not too unfair. Although the one with the flame dogs or whatever they were annoyed the crap out of me because it relies on timing too much.

Always worth pushing through though.
I'll concur with that - it's a dreadful "puzzle".

Grim Fandango is at its best when you're in a populated area with interactions. Not only because the atmosphere and interactions are fantastic (Rubacava :drool:), but also because they can drop in hints through the conversations themselves.

Demerit
02-11-2015, 08:29 AM
No, on PC.

Are there any good modern point and click adventures?

Or even non point and click, a bit like...ah christ I can't remember what it's called now.

You start in France..you're in the jungle at some point.. And on an aeroplane. And in Glastonbury!

If anyone can work out what I'm talking about you're my hero.

Raoul Duke
02-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Beneath A Steel Sky was one of my favourites. There's a decent iOS version of it now.

Shindig
02-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Just give yourself up to David Cage or whatever. His new one is about sentient androids because racism. I should get back to Broken Age.

Ian
02-11-2015, 09:22 AM
No, on PC.

Machinarium
Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please!

Er. How recent do you mean by Modern?

Benny
02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Bought Assassins Creed: Blackwater yesterday on a whim, looks pretty sweet so far but it definitely stutters a bit when walking through big areas of jungle... Bit annoying as my computer can definitely handle the graphics, I think it's a case of the game being a bit glitchy.

ItalAussie
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Machinarium

Those three are fantastic. I'm about to start Botanicula, which is the spiritual successor to Machinarium.

ItalAussie
02-11-2015, 09:57 AM
No, on PC.

Or even non point and click, a bit like...ah christ I can't remember what it's called now.

You start in France..you're in the jungle at some point.. And on an aeroplane. And in Glastonbury!

If anyone can work out what I'm talking about you're my hero.

When you say "not point-and-click", do you mean parser-based?

Disco
02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Broken Sword 3 fits those locations. The first two were traditional point and click but the third one was a kind of third person actiony-hybrid.

phonics
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I thought Sam & Max was balls hard. Turned out I hadn't clicked an exact pixel to walk around the back of the lake and finish the game. Fuck the Point n Click after that moment.

Ian
02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Bought Assassins Creed: Blackwater yesterday on a whim, looks pretty sweet so far but it definitely stutters a bit when walking through big areas of jungle... Bit annoying as my computer can definitely handle the graphics, I think it's a case of the game being a bit glitchy.

You mean Black Flag?

Ian
02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Those three are fantastic. I'm about to start Botanicula, which is the spiritual successor to Machinarium.

The little robot band in Machinarium is the best thing. :nodd:

Benny
02-11-2015, 05:03 PM
You mean Black Flag?

:yev:

Probably yeah, the pirate one.

Demerit
02-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Machinarium

Within the last 5 years.

Demerit
02-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Broken Sword 3 fits those locations. The first two were traditional point and click but the third one was a kind of third person actiony-hybrid.

Yep, thats the one, thank you.

Ian
02-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Within the last 5 years.

I don't think all of those quite fit into that, but I might be wrong. They're all fairly modern though so play those if you haven't.

Baz
02-11-2015, 09:31 PM
No love for CoD Black Ops 3 in here? The solo campaign is actually meant to be good this time around, so I'm quite tempted.

Christmas is a-coming, afterall.

Ian
02-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Call of Duty can lick my sack.

CJay
02-11-2015, 11:13 PM
Went back to FC4 tonight. First thing I did was hop into a truck with two Golden Path lads. I started firing my little pea-shooter at a rhino as we drove past, and it proceeded to chase us down and flip the car up, killing the other two. I started legging it as soon as I got out of the truck, but when I eventually summoned the courage to look back I realised it wasn't even chasing me. :D I'm guessing there's a more effective way to obtain rhino skin?

I'm 15% of the way through apparently. Looking forward to taking on the fortresses eventually.

Raoul Duke
02-11-2015, 11:27 PM
Crossbow FTW.

That and some of the more powerful signature weapons.

Disco
02-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Persistence and machine gun nests worked for me.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Hop on an elephant and crush the fucker.

Up to 7 destroyed gyros now.

The 6th I kept flying into trees, landed and instead of repairing it I decided to just lob a molotov. The uth was with Ian and I flew it straight into a cliff face.

One of my favourite things today was chasing a convoy in a gyro, I kept lobbing molotovs and grenades at it but kept missing and my dodgy flying never allowed Ian a clean shot at it with his grenade launcher. Finally managed to take it out when I expertly got in front of the convoy, landed and then smashed them all with my shotgun.

Ian
03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
I've not got the crossbow yet but then I've spent the last few days levelling like mad without progressing my own save so no flamethrower yet either. :(

Raoul Duke
03-11-2015, 08:19 AM
WUT? Far Cry with no crossbow is crazy town. I generally went with a crossbow, one-handed grenade launcher and a silenced assault rifle. If I ever play through it again I'd go loud and just shotgun/flamethrower everything.

I've got sucked back into Shadow Of Mordor whilst I'm between games waiting for Fallout 4. Great game to spend a bit of time pummelling some Orc plebs.

CJay
03-11-2015, 08:51 AM
There'a crossbow?? How / when do I get it?

Ian
03-11-2015, 09:12 AM
I've been happy with the ordinary bow but as I said, I didn't know there was a crossbow.

Currently I'm rocking the better of the two bows (bows :drool:), a fairly swish sniper rifle, a good upgraded assault rifle and the grenade-launcher side-arm.

Sir Andy Mahowry
03-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I saw a tiger fighting a bear today, it was a pretty good fight until I unloaded my shotgun in the faces of both animals.

Ian
03-11-2015, 10:11 PM
I think it might have been when were on TS but in our own saves while you were unlocking co-op that I saw two bears fighting, Mahow. I dunno if it's specifically for bears or perhaps the same animals fighting each other* but it had proper animations that made it look like a realistic scrap rather than the two animals doing their stock swipes at each other repeatedly. Then the winner immediately came barrelling at me. :(

* I know we had two tigers fighting at that outpost but I think us and the GP #lads started blowing them up before we got to saw how it had the tigers going at it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I unlocked the flamethrower today :cool:

CJay
04-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Standing on a roof throwing bait is a seriously OP strategy for taking outposts. :D

I bought a grenade launcher(?) sidearm today. I tried chasing down one of those cargo trucks but I got excited and shot it when I was in close proximity and everything blew up. I died.

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Standing on a roof throwing bait is a seriously OP strategy for taking outposts. :D

I bought a grenade launcher(?) sidearm today. I tried chasing down one of those cargo trucks but I got excited and shot it when I was in close proximity and everything blew up. I died.
Just make sure there are no hunters there though, don't want to give them extra wildlife going against you.

I did a mission the other day which was basically 90% hunters, wankers kept throwing eagles and lions at me.

CJay
04-11-2015, 06:40 PM
I don't think I've encountered them before, but I remember reading about them when the game came out. Do they basically just control wildlife?

Sir Andy Mahowry
04-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Yeah, they can also spot you in bushes and shit like that.

I just took down a radio signal outpost by landing perfectly (well it decided to spin away off the roof and crash onto the floor) right by the radio signal.

Ian
04-11-2015, 07:06 PM
I don't think I've encountered them before, but I remember reading about them when the game came out. Do they basically just control wildlife?

Control animals, see you through foliage, use bows and arrows themselves and won't stay tagged for more than a few seconds.

Disco
04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm too much of a bitch to stray from the tried and tested tactic of squeezing into a decent position and sniping everyone so they haven't been a problem yet. Up close they haven't been an issue as I bought a PKM and improved my life immeasurably.

CJay
04-11-2015, 07:42 PM
In contrast, I really don't like the feel of snip rifles. I love getting into the cover of bushes and trying to get up close and personal with my shotgun. If I can't do that then I'll just spray manically with an SMG. Hunting animals in enemy territory with a shotgun has become my favourite sport recently, actually - I get the hides I want and get to create carnage with nearly endless streams of baddies coming my way.

Ian
04-11-2015, 09:01 PM
When it boils right down to it I still like knifing people the best and have all the takedowns unlocked now.

CJay
05-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Figuring out how to turn off the infernal radio in the car has been my best achievement to date.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2015, 12:18 AM
What?!?!?!?!?!

The radio playlist is fucking mega.

CJay
05-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Really? I hate listening to the presenter.

Boydy
05-11-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm playing Far Cry 3 at the minute. I like just dicking about and liberating outposts and that but I really fucking hate the story. And I don't like these fucking Tomb Raideresque parts of the missions either. I just want to set fire to the place and kill things and blow shit up, not fuck about in tunnels, underwater and finding switches and bollocks.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2015, 09:00 PM
I accidentally killed a civilian with my gyro today :(

I had been on such a good run with my flying machine but I wasn't high enough and some dickhead just happened to be walking on the side of a mountain.

Disco
05-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I think be concerned about the mental well being of anyone who actually liked any of the characters in that, they're all objectionable wankers that I only grudgingly went to rescue in order to open up the rest of the game.

Boydy
05-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Even the missions seems a bit wank though. The whole story part of the game is just a load of arse. I just like wandering around the jungle killing people.

Also, those 'wanted dead' missions where you can only kill the target with a knife. Fuck off.

CJay
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Some of the missions in FC3 were fun I thought, but yeah the storyline was awful. Although, at 18% of the way through 4 it feels like its storyline is even worse. At least I know what was going on in 3.

I preferred the jungle setting too.

Shindig
05-11-2015, 09:53 PM
You just came here to dump your mother's ashes.

Boydy
05-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Is Far Cry 4 not in a jungle? Where's it set?

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Is Far Cry 4 not in a jungle? Where's it set?

'Kyrat', a fictional town/village in the Himalayas.

The scenery is fucking amazing.

phonics
06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
You just came here to dump your mother's ashes.

And have taken a machine gun to people within minutes of arriving. It makes no sense.

CJay
06-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I just don't understand why there's a guy quoting scripture at me while loading me up on weapons and sending me into the Himalayas. Is he meant to be funny or an interesting character?

Ian
06-11-2015, 12:20 PM
And have taken a machine gun to people within minutes of arriving. It makes no sense.

Yeah, I've talked about how odd this is. The guy in the FC3's arc isn't very realistic but at least once he pretends that he's a bit messed up about having to kill people.

In this game it's basically:
"Ajay!"
"I'm just here to scatter my mum's ashes."
"Yeah but could you kill a whole shitload of folk for us first?"
*sigh* "Alright then."

Disco
06-11-2015, 12:34 PM

In what was basically still the intro I skinned a bear while running for my life, because why wouldn't I do that!? Christ knows why they moved away from the set up for FC2 which made perfect sense, I can only conclude that they just don't give a shit or think we don't. I mean I really don't so they may be onto something there.

Boydy
06-11-2015, 01:22 PM
I tried Dead State last night, having bought it in the Steam sale. Seems pretty shit. I died when out raiding a hardware store for supplies because my stupid character got stuck in a doorway where a zombie attacked and the the stupid turn-based grid combat system wouldn't let me get out of the way to allow one of the other characters to kill the zombie. Fucking stupid.

phonics
06-11-2015, 02:25 PM
You should have got State of Decay instead.

Dark Soldier
06-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Picked up Mushihimesama yesterday, nothing like a good bit of bullet hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kwkFuACdY

Skip to about 20 minutes in.

Boydy
06-11-2015, 02:44 PM
You should have got State of Decay instead.

Yep, that looks much better.