PDA

View Full Version : Undertale

ItalAussie
19-12-2015, 02:14 AM
I know some of you have played it.

I'm trying to get into it a second time, but I just can't. I find myself totally exhausted by the fact that every single random encounter is a moral choice. I know that every enemy will give up without a fight, but doing so means I don't get experience, so I get the same paltry health bar for the entire game. And I know that showing mercy is explicitly the moral act, which means that killing them when they turn yellow is explicitly a cruel thing to do.

I honestly find the game mentally exhausting. If the combat were fun, I'd follow through with it, but I've never liked bullet-hell games, so making the combat a bullet-hell-lite means that I don't enjoy it at all.

Am I doing something wrong? I think this game might just not be for me.

ItalAussie
19-12-2015, 05:28 AM
I'm giving it a third try now, but with a Monster Sparing Guide to hand. That way I can just get through the bullet hell sequences with as minimal fuss as possible.

ItalAussie
24-12-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm now about three-quarters of the way through, and I just cannot for the life of me see what the fuss is about.

Going by Metacritic, this is supposed to be one of the all-time great games, and it just really isn't.

ItalAussie
26-12-2015, 07:51 AM
The much-vaunted story seems to entirely occur as an exposition dump in the last area. I have no idea where this game gets its reputation. :cab:

Ian
26-12-2015, 08:44 AM
I will probably be picking this up el cheapo in the sale so I shall join you to discuss in the near-ish future, Ital.

phonics
26-12-2015, 10:09 AM
The much-vaunted story seems to entirely occur as an exposition dump in the last area. I have no idea where this game gets its reputation. :cab:

It very much seems to be like when Napoleon Dynamite was the biggest movie in the world. The OST however is phenomenal.

Mike
30-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Played the opening of this before up to the save point after you meet the skeleton brothers. They made me laugh.

ItalAussie
30-12-2015, 10:05 PM
They're the brightest spot of the game, I think.