PDA

View Full Version : Finances

Pages : [1] 2 3

Foe
28-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Finance Thread

How is your financial situation?
What does your current expenditure look like?
What are your key outgoings?
Do you have any long term investments?

So I've spent this evening trying to get a feel for what my financial situations is.

I have about £1500 of direct debits a month. :D
I've accumulated a crap load of shares that I can't start accessing for another 2 years.
One of the other share schemes I'm paying into is effectively a "savings account" given the lack of improvement of the share price in the last 2 years.
I've got a loooooong way to go in my mortgage - but I think I can probably afford to start overpaying regularly and chuck in a lump sum before the year end. That opens up the possibility of doing the same again next year to a lesser extent to reduce the term, pay less interest overall and start chipping away at the sum.
I'm currently in pretty good shape financially. If I have a flat mate for the next 6 months+ I'll be able to bank a fair whack.

Lewis
28-11-2015, 10:02 PM
I don't have any money, but if I did I like to think I wouldn't be all that desperate to talk about.

Magic
28-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Look how much money I have!

Shindig
28-11-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm fucking fine, thanks. Although I have an ISA-related query.

Say I put £10k on an ISA earlier in the tax year and another one hits maturity with £6k or whatever in it. When that matures and gets put into a different issue, will it actually go ahead or has my limit been hit? That's something I've always wondered. I'm guessing its fine because otherwise people with massive funds in one would be hitting limits every time maturity hits.

Giggles
28-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Making just short of 50k and the Mrs is around the same. Rent is 1350 a month. Her car is paid and I have a free one. No other outgoings bar the basics. No investments. Around 15,000 in the bank so far for the wedding. Owning a house isn't currently an option due to the situation.

Magic
28-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Wow that's pretty great Giggsy, you must b...oh, oh you mean Euros?

:harold:

Smiffy
28-11-2015, 10:11 PM

Giggles
28-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Wow that's pretty great Giggsy, you must b...oh, oh you mean Euros?

:harold:

No I earn and spend pounds here just for the hell of it, either that or I'm just not into dick measuring.

Kikó
29-11-2015, 12:07 AM
I'm fucking fine, thanks. Although I have an ISA-related query.

Say I put £10k on an ISA earlier in the tax year and another one hits maturity with £6k or whatever in it. When that matures and gets put into a different issue, will it actually go ahead or has my limit been hit? That's something I've always wondered. I'm guessing its fine because otherwise people with massive funds in one would be hitting limits every time maturity hits.

If I understand the question correctly then you can only transfer in the total ISA amount every year. You can transfer a previous years issue into another issue which still counts as the money from that year.

Pepe
29-11-2015, 12:51 AM
I earn a small amount and spend a little less than that. No debt or anything. Spend mostly on hobbies and food.

The Merse
29-11-2015, 12:54 AM
If I understand the question correctly then you can only transfer in the total ISA amount every year. You can transfer a previous years issue into another issue which still counts as the money from that year.

Reads the same to me. A previous years issue is transferred with P-something or other (you don't see this, your bank does it normally) and therefore the taxman doesn't count it against your allowance.

Manc
29-11-2015, 01:07 AM
My monthly expenditure is around 60% of my earnings atm. Proper shit.

Boydy
29-11-2015, 03:06 AM
I don't have any money, but if I did I like to think I wouldn't be all that desperate to talk about.

Look how much money I have!

:nodd:

I knew this thread would basically be that when I saw Foe had started it. Didn't he start the same one on the old board too?

John
29-11-2015, 03:22 AM
In fairness to Foe, his bank account is the one aspect of his life he's ever spoken about on here that nobody is in a position to laugh at. Even when he talks about his apparently brilliant, highly skilled job it's all in the context of a 'woe is me, why can this money not be free' attitude that's just about indistinguishable from Shindig circa 2009.

Foe
29-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Oh dear. Feels like a lot of people took my thread for bragging which wasn't the intention. I'm actually in the other position, trying to work out how fucked I'll be if I get made redundant early next year. Which is a distinct possibility.

There was a finance thread on the old board where I asked all sorts of questions about shares, investments, mortgages etc. Right now all my eggs are in one basket, and being 3 years into a career in an industry in a slump that basket is pretty small.

Magic
29-11-2015, 08:08 AM
:nodd:

I knew this thread would basically be that when I saw Foe had started it. Didn't he start the same one on the old board too?

No that was me. :D

Dquincy
29-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I've got a loooooong way to go in my mortgage - but I think I can probably afford to start overpaying regularly and chuck in a lump sum before the year end. That opens up the possibility of doing the same again next year to a lesser extent to reduce the term, pay less interest overall and start chipping away at the sum.

Don't understand why you would consider this. You're paying money into something that you'll never get back. Let's face, you will alway be paying a mortgage all your life (certainly the vast majority of it) so why bother overpaying something that will not end. Instead, why noy invest the money in something else which is more accessible and may potentially give you a better return?

Foe
29-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Don't understand why you would consider this. You're paying money into something that you'll never get back. Let's face, you will alway be paying a mortgage all your life (certainly the vast majority of it) so why bother overpaying something that will not end. Instead, why noy invest the money in something else which is more accessible and may potentially give you a better return?

The benefit now in overpaying a mortgage is pretty high. If I put in £8000 as an overpayment say, I'm saving myself an extra 8ish grand in interest over the length of the mortgage. Whilst the mortgage debt is high chucking in more funds seems sensible.

That's effectively a saving of 400 quid a year for 20 years. I'd get more benefit paying less interest on a debt than I'd get with the funds in an account somewhere.

Dquincy
29-11-2015, 08:53 AM
The benefit now in overpaying a mortgage is pretty high. If I put in £8000 as an overpayment say, I'm saving myself an extra 8ish grand in interest over the length of the mortgage. Whilst the mortgage debt is high chucking in more funds seems sensible.

That's effectively a saving of 400 quid a year for 20 years. I'd get more benefit paying less interest on a debt than I'd get with the funds in an account somewhere.

Not sure i entirely agree with the last paragraph. Surely your mortgage is around 4% (give or take a percentage). You can get more than 4% in shares or stockbroker shares, plus you have access to them. If you overpay a mortgage, that money is gone.

I appreciate your point of view, however i think life is for the living, so no point spending money on something that you may never benefit from.

John Arne
29-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Surely he will benefit from owning the house sooner, paying less for it, and thus being able to sell it quicker? Though I actually agree with you, I would rather enjoy spending the money now on things I like, rather than saving money for that far in the future.

Baz
29-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah both are good arguments, really. It seems like [so long as he doesn't lose his job] Foe can afford to keep chucking stacks of money at his mortgage at the end of every year and have it paid off way before he initially thought. However for someone who doesn't have quite so much left over every December (hello!), it's probably worth keeping it to yourself to spend on things you can enjoy now.
Giggles why is buying a house not an option?

Money is probably one of my favourite things in life.

Foe
29-11-2015, 09:12 AM
The point is that if I don't overpay, I will pay that extra money. I'll be paying my mortgage regardless,
that's not going away, but I can make the overall cost to me smaller by paying more at the front end.

Shares is an additional risk and something that would require thought and diligence. This is just a 'quick win'.

Plus, I live a really simple "boring" life.

Dquincy
29-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy saving money rather than spending (kinda sad), which i seem to have now passed onto my wife (she used to love spending her monthly wages until we had to save for the wedding).

Paying off the mortgage was something i considered, so can see Foe's point of view. But i just feel that with inflation and interest rates expected to rise sooner or later, a fixed debt becomes less of a debt.*

* Providing the interest rate isn't horrific.

Foe
29-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Stacks is the wrong word. But I can definitely pay more than I am right now, which feels logical.

If I reign in the interest now then 2 or 3 years down the line then I can settle back Into the payments.

Dquincy
29-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Stacks is the wrong word. But I can definitely pay more than I am right now, which feels logical.

If I reign in the interest now then 2 or 3 years down the line then I can settle back Into the payments.

I'm intrigued by what your occupation is and your annual salary. Don't have to say if you don't want to as I know it's rude to ask... in English culture.

niko_cee
29-11-2015, 09:58 AM
https://soundcloud.com/robtrezise/im-an-engineer-wolfenstein-et

Kikó
29-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Pay off your mortgage. I don't agree with the short sighted nature of letting it tick along when you can pay large chunks sooner. I'd do that and work out how you can lower your direct debits.

Shindig
29-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Reads the same to me. A previous years issue is transferred with P-something or other (you don't see this, your bank does it normally) and therefore the taxman doesn't count it against your allowance.

Good to know. Although the return on this issue is devastating. Down from 3% to 1.3%. Its variable though so I should be able to withdraw it as soon as something comes along I like the look of.

The Merse
29-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Good to know. Although the return on this issue is devastating. Down from 3% to 1.3%. Its variable though so I should be able to withdraw it as soon as something comes along I like the look of.

2016 should be a better ISA market. Regardless of the base rate, everyone is lending more at the moment, and needs to attract greater liabilities (I still find it ridiculous that what you hold in credit with a bank is referred to as a liability but there you are...).

Spammer
29-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm not being paid much for my job but I'm careful and I'm usually able to put aside £300 per month. Not sure what I'm saving for though - a mortgage, I guess.

I'm a bit tired of having a shit wage but I'm retraining so I can't really complain as they've shifted my hours to fit in with my college time. It'd be nice to earn decent money though. One day :drool:.

-james-
29-11-2015, 11:20 AM
The amount of money I'm able to make is proportional to how much money I already have, so I'm doing fairly well, and putting a good bit aside. I don't think any cunt is going to want to give me a mortgage, though.

Giggles
29-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah both are good arguments, really. It seems like [so long as he doesn't lose his job] Foe can afford to keep chucking stacks of money at his mortgage at the end of every year and have it paid off way before he initially thought. However for someone who doesn't have quite so much left over every December (hello!), it's probably worth keeping it to yourself to spend on things you can enjoy now.
Giggles why is buying a house not an option?

Money is probably one of my favourite things in life.

The price of them is rocketing again here and there's a fair shortage at the moment as the building hasn't kicked off again since before the downturn. You could conceivably live in the middle of nowhere but both jobs are based in Dublin and the traffic is gone that bad that even a 60 mile commute would take 2.5 hours.
There's also new regulations here that any first time buyers must have 20% of the value of the property saved before a mortgage is even considered, and even at that you probably won't get it without 30%.

Spammer
19-01-2016, 04:30 PM
It's debt awareness week this week, so I might as well post this up in case anyone could do with any help.

I've been working with a debt charity recently called StepChange, who offer FREE and IMPARTIAL debt solutions to people. You might think that a lot of companies do this, but many aren't free or impartial at all, and many charge fees and amend their advice based on what gets them more money.

Stepchange offer advice on dealing with arrears on the rent, electric, gas, water and council tax, magistrates and criminal fines, CCJs, car finance and HP stuff...as well as help with managing credit cards, overdrafts, store cards, catalogues and so on. We can help by setting up debt management plans, token payment plans, give information on your rights...amongst other things. Ee can also help with lots of different kinds of insolvency proceedings - bankruptcy, DROs, IVAs etc - in case you've gotten yourself into some serious shit.

All information given is completely confidential and not shared with anyone outside the charity without your permission, and we're biggest debt charity in the UK are pretty well known amongst creditors too.

Telephone number: 0800 138 1111

Debt still carried a massive stigma so it can fucking cripple people, so just putting it out there :thbup:

Henry
19-01-2016, 04:58 PM
I can't complain. I'm paid well, my expenses are fairly low (small mortgage) and In have a lot of disposable income to spend on eating out, travelling and other things that I like.

Chrissy
19-01-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm skint but happy. I've ditched a well paying secure job to do something I love. I have zero debt though, made sure I cleared everything off and saved up for starting my own business etc.

In terms of ISA's etc and pensions, they are all good options. A guaranteed reserve is the way to go long term though if you are eligible. They pay slightly higher rates with associated clauses.

Been nice reading some of the posts on here. Seeing folk like Giggles and that doing well and saving up for a wedding. More power to you dude. Foe seems to be sorted as well.

End of the day folks money is just something that facilitates attaining/retaining other things. Don't stress if you've fuck all or in debt, take Hammer's advice and contact stepchange or other debt charities. Family, friends and being happy are whats important. So debt change etc will help prioritize what you can can't pay and deal with those you owe on your behalf if you want. I say this as a cunt that worked in debt recovery.

Magic
19-01-2016, 05:55 PM
It's debt awareness week this week, so I might as well post this up in case anyone could do with any help.

I've been working with a debt charity recently called StepChange, who offer FREE and IMPARTIAL debt solutions to people. You might think that a lot of companies do this, but many aren't free or impartial at all, and many charge fees and amend their advice based on what gets them more money.

Stepchange offer advice on dealing with arrears on the rent, electric, gas, water and council tax, magistrates and criminal fines, CCJs, car finance and HP stuff...as well as help with managing credit cards, overdrafts, store cards, catalogues and so on. We can help by setting up debt management plans, token payment plans, give information on your rights...amongst other things. Ee can also help with lots of different kinds of insolvency proceedings - bankruptcy, DROs, IVAs etc - in case you've gotten yourself into some serious shit.

All information given is completely confidential and not shared with anyone outside the charity without your permission, and we're biggest debt charity in the UK are pretty well known amongst creditors too.

Debt still carried a massive stigma so it can fucking cripple people, so just putting it out there :thbup:

Foe

leedsrevolution
19-01-2016, 06:41 PM

I've known loads of people that work there. Fuckinghell, were gona end up working together at some point I know it. You live only 5 minutes from me and are getting into a similar industry.

Magic
19-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Hammer and LR dream team.

"Have you thought about drinking or trans clubs?"

leedsrevolution
19-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Infact, i know someone who has recently joined step change. Fucking hell. Bet that you know em.

Foe
19-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Foe

nah, your wife isn't that poor, she's taking half your house. We'll be fine.

Spammer
19-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Infact, i know someone who has recently joined step change. Fucking hell. Bet that you know em.

Gimme names and I'll tell you. First names'll do.

John
19-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Look at Foe there, can't even take a pop at someone else without looking tragic. You'd be willing to take on a kid and stir Magic's porridge just for some companionship.

Magic
30-01-2016, 04:51 PM
I now have £900 to do us until next pay day. This is by far the most perilous financial situation I've ever been in.

That was with an extra £250 on my wage for a night job and HMRC haven't started taking tax off me yet for the car.

Foe
30-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I now have £900 to do us until next pay day. This is by far the most perilous financial situation I've ever been in.

That was with an extra £250 on my wage for a night job and HMRC haven't started taking tax off me yet for the car.

Going to have to raid your wife's leaving fund.

Magic
30-01-2016, 05:55 PM
En route to pick it up. £350. Renamed to 'home improvement ' fund.

Foe
30-01-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm losing my flat mate in a month, which puts me about 500 quid a month down. He leaves on the same day as I find out whether I have a job. So that day has the potential to be financially crippling.

Long term, not short.

Manc
30-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Me and Magic will move in.

Foe
30-01-2016, 06:21 PM
You sharing with or me?

Manc
30-01-2016, 06:28 PM
http://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Gimp.gif

Magic
18-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Fucking hell, I've got £55 to last me until pay day. Thank fuck for credit cards.

Shindig
18-02-2016, 06:24 PM
I spent today calculating my pension. I don't like those numbers but that's why I have three ISAs. Soon to be four.

Foe
26-02-2016, 05:07 PM
If all goes tits up in a few weeks time I should be able to cash out about £20K worth of shares. That's a pleasant surprise. Shame the share price is toilet.

Pepe
08-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Has anyone tried stuff such as Crowdcube? How much of a scam is it?

Magic
27-04-2016, 07:46 PM
So Tesco have absolutely crucified the clubcard points you can gain, and now they've stopped the clubcard boost, so I'm going to cancel mine ASAP.

I spend about 20k a year on the credit card so I'll surely be able to get a good deal. AMEX have some pretty tasty cashback offers on at the moment.

Giggles
27-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Does anywhere take an AMEX any more?

Magic
27-04-2016, 07:55 PM
:uhoh:

Never knew there were issues?

What about Nectar points? There's a Sainsburys near me and it's great, the credit card boosts the points you earn.

Ian
28-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Quick questions about loans, chaps. My bank have sent me a leaflet about a deal on personal loans with my new card and it sounds like a really good offer but I want to check there's nothing I'm missing.

I'll use the example they've given:
Representative APR: 3.9%
Interest rate: 3.9% fixed
£7,500 over five years would be £138 a month and total £8,253 by the time I've paid it back.

Now I have done some Googling to fill the gaps in my knowledge but thought I might as well ask you lot as well to cover all bases.

Google tells me the 'representative' bit means that just over half of successful applicants will get that rate and the rest may get something different. How much is this likely to vary? I assume it'll depend on the bank and what they think of my finances if I apply.

The information on the two bits of paper they've sent me about it make it SEEM incredibly straightforward but I've never had a loan of this sort before so feel I'm safer asking whether there are any hidden nasties I should be looking out for?

I'm not too worried about the extra I'd have to pay back because if I get it I can use the extra money in my account to make the most of the double-share scheme I get through work.

Boydy
28-05-2016, 04:40 PM
What do you want a loan for?

Magic
28-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Reducing my mortgage by 150 a month and 5 years. Pretty sweet.

Shindig
28-05-2016, 04:48 PM
My variable ISA's going down to a 'why bother?' rate of 1.1% I need to shift that before July is out.

The Merse
28-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Quick questions about loans, chaps. My bank have sent me a leaflet about a deal on personal loans with my new card and it sounds like a really good offer but I want to check there's nothing I'm missing.

£7,500 over five years would be £138 a month and total £8,253 by the time I've paid it back.

Now I have done some Googling to fill the gaps in my knowledge but thought I might as well ask you lot as well to cover all bases.

Google tells me the 'representative' bit means that just over half of successful applicants will get that rate and the rest may get something different. How much is this likely to vary? I assume it'll depend on the bank and what they think of my finances if I apply.

The information on the two bits of paper they've sent me about it make it SEEM incredibly straightforward but I've never had a loan of this sort before so feel I'm safer asking whether there are any hidden nasties I should be looking out for?

I'm not too worried about the extra I'd have to pay back because if I get it I can use the extra money in my account to make the most of the double-share scheme I get through work.

You've already answered it really - all depends on the banks credit policies.

You'll have the rate confirmed before you're signed up though, so what's the bother?

The Merse
28-05-2016, 05:02 PM

You'll have the rate confirmed before you're signed up though, so what's the bother?

Ian
28-05-2016, 05:03 PM
What do you want a loan for?

Paying off some other stuff which has much higher APR, primarily. If they'll give me enough I may also use it to get myself a car assuming there's nothing I've not thought of because all the car finance stuff is a higher rate than that and I don't have the savings to just buy one.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything beyond the rate. It's probably that I'm assuming this sort of thing must be more complex than it actually is.

Foe
04-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Got my first ever credit card today, aged 27. :cool:

One of my share schemes also matured. By matured, I mean it was completely pointless as the share price was lower than I needed it to be so instead of a successful financial investment I've effectively saved £250/month for the last couple of years.

Anyone have shares and ever look at their dividends? I've got SFA shares yet my dividends for the last quarter were nearly £200. :drool:

Shame my mortgage is crippling.

The Merse
04-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Looking forward to the Lifetime ISA next year as I can't take advantage of the Help to Buy one. It doesn't have the FTB restriction but has the same 25% bonus :)

Bartholomert
04-06-2016, 08:45 PM
This is such a poor person thread

Spikey M
04-06-2016, 10:30 PM
We do alright. Spend slightly less than we earn. No real savings. No real debt. Can't complain.

leedsrevolution
05-06-2016, 05:14 AM
This is such a poor person thread

Sorry we don't have a rich mummy and daddy you Turkish wanker.

Kikó
05-06-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm winding up my company as I'm turning permanent so that should be a nice windfall (CGT and entrepreneur tax of 10%). From there, I've got no idea where to place the cash as I've opened a help to buy ISA already this year.

I might stick them all into shares but not decided on who or what.

Shindig
05-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Forget it, Kiko. Mert's already placed us on the poor heap. No use trying to better ourselves.

Unless we settle this shit with some hoops.

Bartholomert
05-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Sorry we don't have a rich mummy and daddy you Turkish wanker.

You can have a low net worth and not act like a poor person. Talking about money and subtly dick measuring is poor people shit.

(No offense Foe :wub:)

Boydy
05-06-2016, 05:26 PM
I thought Americans loved talking about money?

Spoonsky
05-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Not really. It's rude to talk about your income for example and I think people in the upper middle class and above are taught that it's not very polite to talk about money in general. Certainly I don't talk much about my family's income unless I need to.

Foe
05-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Just a number in a spreadsheet at the end of the day.

Spikey M
05-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Moving is so fucking expensive.

This week I paid out £200 to show we're 'serious' about the house we're buying, to be refunded on completion. Fucking Estate Agents.

£350 for some twat to tell the mortage company the house is worth the money.

£400 for Solicitors (will cost £4000 in total)

The fees to be added on at the end are disgusting n'all. Not doing this again.

Bartholomert
05-06-2016, 07:20 PM
I thought Americans loved talking about money?

This:

Not really. It's rude to talk about your income for example and I think people in the upper middle class and above are taught that it's not very polite to talk about money in general. Certainly I don't talk much about my family's income unless I need to.

It's also frowned upon / unusual to openly flaunt your wealth unlike in Europe / 3rd world countries where every day is a fashion show. Most of the richest kids I knew at Duke would wear (very expensive but worn) sweat pants to class paired with a ragged (but expensive) fleece, would almost never post on social media showcasing their material wealth, etc. It's a sign of not having anything to prove; your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator.

Obviously there are exceptions.

Shindig
05-06-2016, 07:33 PM
What about within the context of a small community where financial advice may prove beneficial? Or at least provide an opportunity to vent?

Foe
05-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Moving is so fucking expensive.

This week I paid out £200 to show we're 'serious' about the house we're buying, to be refunded on completion. Fucking Estate Agents.

£350 for some twat to tell the mortage company the house is worth the money.

£400 for Solicitors (will cost £4000 in total)

Stamp duty is the real killer. Expensive as shit.

Spikey M
05-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Stamp duty is the real killer. Expensive as shit.

It's a joke. Just money grabbing from all angles. By my calculations we'll be paying £6000 just in 'costs' and taxes.

Not ideal when my wife is on Maternity leave and her wage is due to drop down statutory next month.

The equity from our current flat will deal with alot of it, but it still grates.

Foe
05-06-2016, 07:57 PM
It's a joke. Just money grabbing from all angles. By my calculations we'll be paying £6000 just in 'costs' and taxes.

Not ideal when my wife is on Maternity leave and her wage is due to drop down statutory next month.

The equity from our current flat will deal with alot of it, but it still grates.

Congratulations bud!

Yeah agree - when I bought my gaff I saved a lot of fees by having a family member do the transaction. It's a real deterrent of moving again though.

Lewis
05-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Must be awful, lads. Sorry for your loss.

Pepe
05-06-2016, 08:16 PM
It's also frowned upon / unusual to openly flaunt your wealth unlike in Europe / 3rd world countries where every day is a fashion show. Most of the richest kids I knew at Duke would wear (very expensive but worn) sweat pants to class paired with a ragged (but expensive) fleece, would almost never post on social media showcasing their material wealth, etc. It's a sign of not having anything to prove; your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator.

And here I was thinking frat bros wear sweat pants and tank tops every day because they are a bunch of dirty slobs. Showing my third-worldness there.

Do they drive gigantic SUVs and/or BMWs for the same reason?

Pepe
05-06-2016, 08:17 PM
I guess it's cool if it is a 'very expensive but dirty' car amirite?

Bartholomert
05-06-2016, 08:39 PM
And here I was thinking frat bros wear sweat pants and tank tops every day because they are a bunch of dirty slobs. Showing my third-worldness there.

Do they drive gigantic SUVs and/or BMWs for the same reason?

I guess it's cool if it is a 'very expensive but dirty' car amirite?

Yep. It's all about the casual taken for granted wealth (except it's not thought of in those terms, it's not thought of at all).

Pepe
05-06-2016, 08:45 PM
So it's all about making sure everyone knows you're wealthy, but pretending you don't care.

If 'your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator,' why are the 'very expensive sweat pants' and 'ragged but expensive fleece' (:harold:) necessary? Do Walmart sweat pants block your inner emanation?

I guess what I'm asking is: Where should I buy my sweatpants? I want to look rich but also look like I'm not trying too. :(

Spikey M
05-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Move to England and shop at Debenhams.

Pepe
05-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Not buying a country home, mate? Bloody poverty thread, this.

Magic
05-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Good luck with the move pinhead. Most stressful shit you can do. Far worse than childbirth.

Magic
14-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Reducing my mortgage by 150 a month and 5 years. Pretty sweet.

So, despite spending over £13,000 and also really sorting out all the shit that was wrong with the house...it's been valued at...exactly the same as it was 2 years ago. Fucking absolute corrupt dogshit. Fucking wankers. It's a racket, I tell thee.

Spikey M
17-06-2016, 10:21 PM
We only got £60k in equity. South East living, Yo. :baz:

Magic
22-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Great so I re-mortgaged saving £150 a month, what they didn't tell me is the first payment is A FUCKING GRAND.

Shindig
28-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Slapped £5,000 on a fixed-rate 5-year bond at 2.20% I'm not sure I trust India with my money but these are strange times.

Magic
04-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Great so I re-mortgaged saving £150 a month, what they didn't tell me is the first payment is A FUCKING GRAND.

Further to this my existing mortgage provider has just taken out a full month's payment because the solicitors or whoever didn't clear the direct debit in time. It will be refunded but in a few weeks. Just waiting for that grand to disappear now for exceptional levels of lol.

Bartholomert
04-07-2016, 07:56 PM
So it's all about making sure everyone knows you're wealthy, but pretending you don't care.

If 'your value emanates from yourself, not some 3rd party manufactured indicator,' why are the 'very expensive sweat pants' and 'ragged but expensive fleece' (:harold:) necessary? Do Walmart sweat pants block your inner emanation?

I guess what I'm asking is: Where should I buy my sweatpants? I want to look rich but also look like I'm not trying too. :(

But you're not pretending. You don't care / think of it like that, it's just the clothes you own.

Just put on the sweat pants you bought from your boarding school's store because you were too lazy to do the laundry.

Shindig
04-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Slapped £5,000 on a fixed-rate 5-year bond at 2.20% I'm not sure I trust India with my money but these are strange times.

Looks like it didn't go through. Don't fucking put in a "How much do you want to invest?" section on your form, complete with bank details and then ask me to electronically fund it manually in the confirmation email. Don't bank Indian.

Foe
07-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Anyone got any tips / tricks for shares / bonds?

I've been doing some reading into it and there's a lot more too it than I'd really anticipated - starting with picking a platform to use. Tempted by IG stocks and shares ISA.

Anyone here wheel and deal stocks and shares?

Boydy
07-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Just stick it in a low cost market tracker fund. Not that many actively managed funds can outperform the market so you're not going to be able to.

GS
07-08-2016, 06:21 PM
You don't beat the market is as good a dictum to live by as any, I would suggest.

Foe
07-08-2016, 07:11 PM
That sounds quite boring though. Surely half the fun would be throwing £500-1000 at a particular company and embracing the roller coaster?

Magic
07-08-2016, 07:30 PM
All those oil engineering firms dropping like flies round this way. :drool:

The arsehole is falling out of Aberdeen. There goes 70k for being a cleaner on a rig. Shower of thick cunts.

Shouldn't you be saving Foebia?

Spikey M
07-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I've got some Magic Beans going for a grand, Foe?

Panda Bear
07-08-2016, 07:38 PM
You can make investing a headache, or you can just ride the market.

Just get index funds, be they mutual or exchange-traded, and get to the point where you can solidly invest in six to twelve of them.

Buy into ones with low-expense ratios. Get a Standard and Poor's (S&P) 500, a mid-large cap international, an emerging markets, a frontier markets, a real estate investment trust (REIT), and a global water.

You can add to this with things like a commodity fund if you're feeling bullish on gold, a mid-cap S&P 400, global batteries, a US corporate bonds index, a country fund for Germany, etc.

Diversity is key.

Check once a year, every six months if you're feeling cheeky.

Use your remaining time on things you can control like your happiness.

Magic
07-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Alright mate stick to architecture and boring posts about Edmonton's residential cycling paths.

Foe
07-08-2016, 07:42 PM
All those oil engineering firms dropping like flies round this way. :drool:

The arsehole is falling out of Aberdeen. There goes 70k for being a cleaner on a rig. Shower of thick cunts.

Shouldn't you be saving Foebia?

Saving for what? I don't have a wife that's going to leave me.

would be nice to diversify a little bit though. It would also give me some incentive to be productive / read more when I'm not working. Ive survived two rounds of redundancy at my gaff. Hopefully I'm a bit more secure now.

I'm loyal to berty, spikes, but if you have any DONG going let me know.

Panda Bear
07-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Take out a mortgage, set up an investors agreement with friends, buy into property that you can rent out that covers the mortgage and taxes.

Boydy
07-08-2016, 07:50 PM
would be nice to diversify a little bit though. It would also give me some incentive to be productive / read more when I'm not working.

Why not just dump in an index tracker, let it make money and read something that's actually enjoyable? Instead of looking for more work outside work.

You proddy bastard.

Panda Bear
07-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Seriously, though, the only people who have time to research the nooks and crannies of the market in an attempt to beat it are the people who spend 60+ hours a week researching the market who manage funds (be it personal or through an institution).

If you invest, just do so in a spread of funds that track how economies writ-large are doing. Cover things off with an international fund with mid-large caps to hit the bigger international companies, an S&P 500 because the world's money is in the United States, an "emerging" markets fund for the likes of China and South Korea, a frontier markets fund for the likes of Jamaica and whoever the fuck else because they're developing more rapidly than already-developed countries (what a shock), and then some more specific funds like if you want to track Germany or the UK, mid-level companies in the States, some long-term bonds, and some specific future-oriented sectors like water, medical technology or batteries.

Why not just dump in an index tracker, let it make money and read something that's actually enjoyable? Instead of looking for more work outside work.

You proddy bastard.Yeah. You can learn to read the markets as a way to understand the world better and make it a hobby, but don't make it a second job. People already do that job for you, and those manager-expense ratios are tiny when you realize how little you're compensating them for how much time you're saving for yourself to do things like watch High School Musical.

Adamski
26-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Has anyone ever taking equity out of their house? How exactly does it work?

Spammer
26-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Dunno. Stepchange can help though, they're free. Give them a bell.

https://www.stepchange.org/Howwecanhelpyou/Mortgagesandequityrelease/Mortgages.aspx

Kikó
26-09-2016, 09:57 AM
I've got a few grand of debt at the moment which is pecking my head. The wedding has brought on a few months of overspend but I'm hoping to clear some of it off sharpish to give me some breathing space.

leedsrevolution
26-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Do you mean you want a homeowner loan? Or do you mean this:"Equity release is a means of retaining use of your house or other object which has capital value, while also obtaining a lump sum or a steady stream of income, using the value of the house. The "catch" is that the income-provider must be repaid at a later stage, usually when you die."

I've not done my qualifications in the latter so couldn't help ya.

Magic
26-09-2016, 11:02 AM
You just add it on to your mortgage. Not sure if it's a separate high interest sub-mortgage or part of your total.

Adamski
26-09-2016, 11:07 AM
I can get a top up loan secured against my house which is fine but it's the latter in LRs post I was interested in.

I suppose it doesn't matter whichever way you do it, just wondered what the differences were.

Got 70k sitting there in equity at the moment.

Spammer
26-09-2016, 11:23 AM
khgjhg

Kikó
26-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the link hammer. For me it's more a case of getting it out of the way than major stress. One is a bill to the tax man, the other is two credit card debts (one 0% interest so less concern) which I would like to settle.

Magic
26-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Are you taking it out for home improvement or for Vegas?

Raoul Duke
26-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Adding a loan to your mortgage (and therefore increasing the compound interest) seems like a great way to spunk a load of cash away.

Can you sit tight and save for whatever it is?

Adamski
26-09-2016, 08:04 PM
It's to pay off some debt. Rate is a lot lower getting a top up mortgage loan over 5-10 years than a personal loan and while it would end up a bit more in interest in the long run, short term it could save hundreds a month.

Magic
26-09-2016, 08:08 PM
No idea on that, I know you can add home improvement ones to your mortgage but not sure about general swag.

Spikey M
26-09-2016, 08:13 PM
If it's credit card debt there are some ridiculously long 0% balance transfers out there. I wouldn't be adding in to my mortgage.

Kikó
12-10-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm flipping my current account to the one in here (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#bonus)at Northern Trust. £100 switch + 5% rate for up to £300 a month saved for 12 months. Not a bad rate considering the economy at the moment.

Giggles
12-10-2016, 11:24 AM
You're not operating off shore yet? Raoul will be pissing himself when he finds that out.

Kikó
12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
You need to have some money to be able to hold it offshore.

Spikey M
29-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Seeing as my Bank Account does fuck all but act as a piggy bank I'm going to jump ship. Ideally I want one of those accounts that gives cash back when you have bills paid via Direct Debit or that rewards you for making a deposit each month.

Anyone know where's best these days?

Raoul Duke
29-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Santander 123, depending on your savings/incoming + outgoings. Check Money Saving Expert.

Shindig
29-10-2016, 07:27 PM
If it wasn't for my tendency to stack up cash in my current account, I'd be on a high-interest one like a shot. That's the real downside of it. Moving money constantly so you don't hit whatever your limit is.

Foe
21-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Had a mortgage appointment on Friday. Chuckled when the advisor suggested my flat had gone up in value (the market here has crashed in reality).

On the plus side, I've knocked about 6 years off the length of my mortgage.

Only 14 more years of financial cripple. :cool:

Offshore Toon
06-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Has anybody had any luck getting a credit card as a student before? I'm pretty fucked for money.

Spammer
06-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah they usually do it without any issues so long as you've got a half-decent credit rating. I had one as a student.

Kikó
06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?bad-credit&_ga=1.71533715.1061107640.1468331884

Offshore Toon
06-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Cheers, guys.

Magic
16-04-2017, 10:09 AM
I have serious cash flows issues right now. It's 2 weeks until pay day and I've only got £81 in my account, and I'm £100 in to my credit card. WTF.

phonics
16-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Magic can never laugh at me again. At least it's me who starves not a small child.

Adamski
16-04-2017, 11:31 AM
You don't have a wife taking out £20 a day for 'stamps'

Foe
16-04-2017, 11:42 AM
See if that kick boxer will pay for a shot of your wife.

Win win.

Kikó
20-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Ns and i are reducing their ISA rate again so I'm moving it to a stocks and shares with Nutmeg. Decided against the LISA even though it's generous.

I've also tried putting money into p2p like the house crowd and zopa. I reckon it's the only place you can actually get any kind of return.

Spikey M
20-04-2017, 09:40 AM
What's the deal with the Stocks and Shares ISA's is it, as I suspect, basically the bank playing the stock market with your money? If they 'lose' is the money gone? If so, fuck that. Spend it all on gold.

phonics
20-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Ns and i are reducing their ISA rate again so I'm moving it to a stocks and shares with Nutmeg. Decided against the LISA even though it's generous.

I've also tried putting money into p2p like the house crowd and zopa. I reckon it's the only place you can actually get any kind of return.

Literally didn't understand a word of that. No wonder people get fucked in a crash. 'Ah bollocks by Nutmeg Zopas got totally bolloxed by the house crowd'

Kikó
20-04-2017, 10:11 AM
NS and I -national savings and investment (government backed savings who do premium bonds, bonds and traditional ISAs (individual saving account tax free, each year an allowance is available for you to invest)

Nutmeg - they're a provider who offer funds to invest into. Stocks and shares ISA is similar to a cash ISA but it's more volatile as it's investing in the market. Same tax free on gains

Thehousecrowd - they are a company that sets up special purpose vehicles to invest in three areas. One is peer to peer lending with distrusted sophisticated property developers, two is investing in mid term in property developments, three is in property itself which is then rented to either business or individuals. Investing an amount sees a return on the capital you put in.

Zopa - another peer to peer lender who replace the traditional role of a bank. Money is placed into Zopa who then broker with people looking for a loan. They then repay their loan and you gain from the interest on the loan.

Magic
20-04-2017, 10:55 AM
£11 left.

:uhoh:

Tried selling my sofa but the guy didn't turn up.

Adamski
20-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Tomorrow is a great day. The wife's promotion payrise kicks in :cool:

Magic
20-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Tomorrow is a great day. The wife's promotion payrise kicks in :cool:

Beta.

Adamski
20-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Still the breadwinner bro :cool:

Spikey M
20-04-2017, 04:30 PM
At least she can afford the rest of the food.

Magic
10-07-2017, 08:16 PM
£15.14 left.

£375 down in the credit card.

#fucked

Giggles
10-07-2017, 08:19 PM
I thought you got a massive payrise? Is she partying it all?

Magic
10-07-2017, 08:21 PM
I thought you got a massive payrise? Is she partying it all?

I spent about £300 on the stag do I was at, the car insurance came off in July when I thought it was end of June, we had a wedding weekend past, I spent £110 on some framed photographs, I bought a luxury hotel room in Manchester for just before Christmas, I bought that Amazon Echo and finally a bottle of 6 times distilled Vodka.

:D / :face:

Shindig
10-07-2017, 09:53 PM
With that kind of money you could've bought your child's favour instead.

Pepe
11-07-2017, 01:59 PM
£15.14 left.

£375 down in the credit card.

#fucked

Now we know why you switched to Labour.

SvN
11-07-2017, 02:06 PM
What's your monthly take home Magic?

Magic
11-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Combined? 3k after tax.

SvN
11-07-2017, 02:37 PM
How are you struggling so much? Are you in over your head with the mortgage?

Giggles
11-07-2017, 03:08 PM
You could live like a king in the UK on that money. I was only taking home around £2k when I lived there but it didn't matter because a loaf or bread was about 10p and you could tax any car for under £400.

Spammer
11-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeah Magic is having a 'mare if he's struggling on 3k per month. Probably up to his eyeballs in mortgage bullshit.

Adamski
11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
That's him and his wife's wage he said.

Magic
11-07-2017, 04:09 PM
We spent all our savings on doing the house up, and had to borrow money from the in-laws. So we've got two loans totalling £350 a month, and just frequent outgoings. The holiday we lost £700 on spending money in June too.

We'll recoup, but I'm still behind on my credit card payments.

phonics
11-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Combined? 3k after tax.

I thought you were pulling in dat engineer money? Me and my wife earn not far off that. She works part time and I'm a civil fucking servant. 'Mon MJ, you don't have to fiddle the figures with us. Save it for court.

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
She also works part time as a receptionist so lol.

Foe
11-07-2017, 08:04 PM
You wanna talk about engineer money you give Foe a call.

GS
11-07-2017, 08:05 PM
How much are you paying on your mortgage per month?

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:05 PM
And substantial, premature hairloss.

But we can't have our cake and eat it.

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:06 PM
How much are you paying on your mortgage per month?

£550 and I pay £50 over. So £600.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Magic is the type that would get into debt to have a newer car or bigger veranda than the neighbour.

GS
11-07-2017, 08:08 PM
So £1K a month, effectively, to meet outstanding medium and long-term liabilities. Where's the other £2K going? I could understand the odd bad month where your cash flow takes a hammering, but the lack of any savings suggests this is a proper long-term problem.

7om
11-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Stop thinking you're Hyacinth Bucket and save, you twat.

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:11 PM
So £1K a month, effectively, to meet outstanding medium and long-term liabilities. Where's the other £2K going? I could understand the odd bad month where your cash flow takes a hammering, but the lack of any savings suggests this is a proper long-term problem.

I think our direct debits were £1,200 a month. Plus the loans. So that's about 1.4k for a month. Then I'm behind about £3-400 on the credit card, so that's 1k a month. Months are long and we do stuff. I like to have a good life.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 08:12 PM
I think our direct debits were £1,200 a month. Plus the loans. So that's about 1.4k for a month. Then I'm behind about £3-400 on the credit card, so that's 1k a month. Months are long and we do stuff. I like to have a good life.

No. You like to have a good month. You aren't planning for life.

Pepe
11-07-2017, 08:12 PM
I like to have a good life.

A shame that you haven't figured out how to yet.

GS
11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Too good, clearly.

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Nobody say it

Edit: Damn it Pepe

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:14 PM
No. You like to have a good month. You aren't planning for life.

What is planning for life?

Magic
A shame that you haven't figured out how to yet.

:(

Magic
Too good, clearly.

No. It's just been expensive. Since February.

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Things will get easier, damnit. Next month is looking good. Right?

Foe
And substantial, premature hairloss.

But we can't have our cake and eat it.

£0/month on haircuts. Savings :cool:

GS
You have £15 in the bank, Magic. This is not a short-term problem, however you want to frame it.

This is because of choices you've made. You need to make different choices if you don't want to be skint.

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:17 PM
GS is right. Your Vodka needs to be distilled 5 times max.

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:17 PM
You have £15 in the bank, Magic. This is not a short-term problem, however you want to frame it.

This is because of choices you've made. You need to make different choices if you don't want to be skint.

This is what credit cards are for.

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Credit where it's (over)due.

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Yeah, all lulz aside - I have £12 until next Tuesday. 'Sake.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 08:24 PM
I've been going ok, despite the ridiculous rent, and the wedding didn't take near as much as originally thought. But Magic owns a gaff and I never will so even if he has a tenner left by the middle of every month he's still doing better.

Foe
11-07-2017, 08:28 PM
You guys need to try having no hobbies or social life and a far more limited pool of friends.

All you need is two TVs are you're sorted.

On the downside, I'm pretty confident my flat is worth about £20k less than when I bought it 36 months ago. :moop:

Magic
11-07-2017, 08:30 PM
I have £30k equity if my house hasn't lost value, which it hasn't.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm paying for someone elses :)

Spikey M
11-07-2017, 08:34 PM
We haven't lost any of the value on ours (South East innit) but I doubt it's gone up since we bought it. Fucking Brexit.

Foe
11-07-2017, 08:39 PM
The only positive for me is that I've saved a shit load in interest by overpaying the fuck out of my mortgage. That almost offsets the losses. Almost. :(

Still, £90k to go and then its mine.

Kikó
11-07-2017, 09:10 PM
I've got a couple of grand on a 0% credit card which I'm hoping to clear the majority of by the end of the year. Hard when you've got a friend wedding in Goa and having to try pay for anniversary and birthday gifts. It doesn't help deciding to go on Euro aways either.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 09:29 PM
That's the life you want Magic. King of the world.

Magic
11-07-2017, 09:30 PM
:cool:

Adamski
11-07-2017, 09:47 PM

I pull in about double Magic and don't have any savings.

It's called not being a sad cunt.

Giggles
11-07-2017, 09:52 PM
And you're travelling with it, so you're extra wasting it.

Kikó
11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
That's the life you want Magic. King of the world.

High five bro.

Jimmy Floyd
11-07-2017, 10:21 PM
I've never had a credit card and I put away, like, 30% of my take home into savings. One day I'll have enough to buy my own flute band.

Spammer
12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm only on 20k per year and I've managed to put away £300 per month in savings with an active social life and without really having to think about it too much.

I honestly don't know how the fuck people splash their fucking cash every month, unless they're earning minimum wage.

Kikó
12-07-2017, 09:41 AM
My biggest outgoing is rent.

And caviar.

SvN
12-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Our mortgage is a grand per month. We save £800 per month between us, but we're going to increase that to a grand once the summer is over - we always spend more when she's off school.

Spikey M
12-07-2017, 09:57 AM
We currently save £300pm but I have passed my driving test so can now stop paying out £150pm on lessons. Going to pay up front for insurance so hoping can start putting away £400 with the other £50 for petrol. Our Mortage is ~£600pm.

SvN
12-07-2017, 09:58 AM
We don't have a car anymore, which definitely cuts down on expenses. Probably going to buy one in the new year.

Giggles
12-07-2017, 10:08 AM
That's my main saving grace, not paying a penny for a car. Definitely worth 7 or 8 grand, plus so much less hassle.

Kikó
12-07-2017, 10:10 AM
I wish you could get a decent mortgage without the deposit. If I was able to pay £1000 a month on that I'd save £600 a month. The rent takes the Michael.

Spikey M
12-07-2017, 10:17 AM
I wish you could get a decent mortgage without the deposit. If I was able to pay £1000 a month on that I'd save £600 a month. The rent takes the Michael.

Rent really is a piss take but it's a hard trap to escape. Can't you downsize for a year or 2 so you can save the savings? Failing that, would your/her parents not be willing to help you out with a loan against the equity of their gaff? Not strictly allowed, but I know a lot that have done so.

Giggles
12-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Rent really is a piss take but it's a hard trap to escape. Can't you downsize for a year or 2 so you can save the savings? Failing that, would your/her parents not be willing to help you out with a loan against the equity of their gaff? Not strictly allowed, but I know a lot that have done so.

Can you get away with that any more? I know here the bank looks back into account far enough to ensure it was steadily saved.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
12-07-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm glad I never rented. Staying with my dad for a year and a bit after qualifying allowed me to save a decent deposit, renting would have fucked that.

SvN
12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Our solicitors asked for proof of deposit, and we never gave it. They never asked again.

Kikó
12-07-2017, 10:27 AM

If we downsized we'd be moving into a studio. We'd have to sacrifice location which is why we pay the current premium. I think at the moment, I'm going to wait for the headwinds of Brexit to hit the London market before trying. Looking at shared ownership as well which makes it closer to affordability but even then it's annoying. The wife's parents are willing to put up £15k loan but we'd still be looking short when you start adding stamp and fees.

For example, I looked at a new development in East hackney. Help to buy scheme called Monohaus. Trendy and all that jazz. Sonos in the ceilings. Start up wanky space in the foyer. Kate Hudson's first gym there. 1 bed, 450-520sq ft. £540k. Stamp alone decimates any deposit.

Magic
12-07-2017, 10:30 AM
See I have a car, which requires two tanks of fuel a month, plus maintenance, plus insurance/tax. And I also have a company car which I pay tax on.

Once I clear my student loan (£150pcm) and the two loans I'll be reet.

Also children are really expensive. Fucking children. Think it's dear with some bullshit formula and nappies? Just wait until the classes start. The clothes. The parties and presents. Fucking children.

Magic
12-07-2017, 10:31 AM

I see that. It's really fucked me off you could easily get a 125% no deposit mortgage and now you can't get a 60% one unless you've got a fair wedge behind you and are a high earner. Bullshit. Cheeky fucking chancers.

Adamski
12-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Can you get away with that any more? I know here the bank looks back into account far enough to ensure it was steadily saved.

It was 6 years ago but we got a credit union loan to help with our deposit and no questions were asked.

wullie
12-07-2017, 10:32 AM
In addition to the usual monthly commitments we save about £1000 per month between us, with half of it put away for paying off most of the Help to Buy loan before it starts accruing interest. The other half is for stuff like getting ready for kids and also holidays, and because I just transfer money over as soon as I get paid I don't get the sense of saving for anything or even having to give it much thought, and it almost feels like I get to go on holiday for free.

After all expenses I must come out with about £500 disposable each month which I barely make a dent in without any bother, the annoying thing is realising how much money you burn through when you don't have it already . If I'd applied the same restraint the whole time I've been employed I'd have a Scrooge McDuck vault by now.

Adamski
12-07-2017, 10:33 AM
I see that. It's really fucked me off you could easily get a 125% no deposit mortgage and now you can't get a 60% one unless you've got a fair wedge behind you and are a high earner. Bullshit. Cheeky fucking chancers.

I've got a mate who bought in 2007 with a 100% mortgage, literally moved out his parents and into a house with no savings. Unreal.

Spikey M
12-07-2017, 10:35 AM

You call it a 'gift' and neglect to mention paying it back.

Adamski
12-07-2017, 10:35 AM
And you're travelling with it, so you're extra wasting it.

Aye I should clarify, given I'm only back 2 days the holiday is the reason I don't have any cash savings at the moment.

I stick a couple of hundred a month into 2-3 funds and have a few other things going on too.

phonics
12-07-2017, 10:38 AM
All this talk of mortgages is another world for me, even if I did have the savings. Mortgages are a minimum of 100 years here so you can almost never own your own home unless your loaded. I don't quite understand it.

Giggles
12-07-2017, 10:48 AM
It was 6 years ago but we got a credit union loan to help with our deposit and no questions were asked.

Could still be the same. Here they near want blood. Plus the 20% saved over DD over a sustained period.

Spammer
12-07-2017, 10:54 AM
If anyone wants debt advice, I'm your man :cool:

Alan Shearer The 2nd
12-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Oh and 30 month 0% interest free credit cards are a no brainer.

Pepe
12-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Having zero debt. :cool:

Giggles
12-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Don't you live like a hippy though?

Danny
12-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Between the wife and I we put away around 600 a month into an easily accessible saving account (that often goes on vacations/home repairs & upgrades/emergency expenses). On top of that I put about the same (+company match of 50%) into retirement.

After the regular bills and some 0% credit card debt we have about 1k PM for normal living expenses/enjoyment. Whatever is left at EOM gets snowballed into the debt.

Pepe
12-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Don't you live like a hippy though?

Not really. Bought $45 worth of ice cream last weekend. :cool:

Spikey M
12-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Bet it was organic. Hippy.

Pepe
12-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Two pints of vegan coconut milk chocolate fudge.
One pint of Maple bourbon with salted candies pecans.

Magic
12-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Lol so panic over as my balance went up to £127. Now it's dropped to -£27.50 WTF. I've asked my dad to transfer me money to get out of my overdraft.

John
12-07-2017, 04:26 PM
How much fun was it begging for money from someone you openly hate?

Adamski
12-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Imagine his dad was the kickboxer? What a heel turn.

Magic
12-07-2017, 04:31 PM
He did it nae bather ken but he will laud it over me eventually. Or try and give me a lecture about money management. I just lol and say well you left us and look at you, with a massive house, mortgage free, retired at 55 and have your own business. So fuck you, DAD.

niko_cee
12-07-2017, 05:04 PM
I echo Magic's sentiments about kids being fucking expensive. It's beyond a joke.

Have you started saving for the wedding yet?

Kikó
12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Divorce Shirley?

Giggles
12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Parents surely don't have to pay for kids weddings in this day and age do they?

Kikó
12-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Ours paid the majority. Thankfully.

Magic
12-07-2017, 05:29 PM
I echo Magic's sentiments about kids being fucking expensive. It's beyond a joke.

Have you started saving for the wedding yet?

When they get to 'school age' everything goes up. Bullshit.

Giggles
12-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Christ I wouldn't ask mine for a penny for it. If I couldn't afford the wedding then I wouldn't have had the wedding.

Jimmy Floyd
12-07-2017, 05:38 PM
My sister's getting married in the autumn and the two families have gone halves on it. If the couple were paying you'd have a table for six in a car park somewhere and maybe, if they went all out, a bottle of supermarket cava passed around.

Kikó
12-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Christ I wouldn't ask mine for a penny for it. If I couldn't afford the wedding then I wouldn't have had the wedding.

The wedding day was unbelievable but the unromantic me thought (then maybe less now that we've had it) we should have used it for a house.

But then the memory of the day overrides that.

Giggles
12-07-2017, 05:46 PM
You can still have the memory and pay for it yourself.

niko_cee
12-07-2017, 05:52 PM
When they get to 'school age' everything goes up. Bullshit.

At least you get free daytime childcare, to an extent.

I'm on the cusp of getting a multi-child discount for dancing classes next year ( :face: ) and if the tradition of the bride's dad footing the bill for the wedding still exists in 20 years time (not that ours was paid for that way) then I'm 100% fucked.

Magic
12-07-2017, 06:00 PM
At's nae a tradition up here pal.

Pepe
12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Is the new way of typing replacing the stoic shit?

Adamski
12-07-2017, 06:14 PM
That's the way they speak up there, terrifying.

Spikey M
12-07-2017, 06:54 PM
We should all type how they speak in our local area, it'll be propa reem prinnies.

Jimmy Floyd
12-07-2017, 06:55 PM
I've been doing that for 15 years.

phonics
12-07-2017, 07:12 PM
My written French n'est pas assez bon.

I had to Google that ffs.

Magic
19-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I now have £300 in my bank (I put £200 in from various sources, plus I got £150 expenses back) and put it straight on the credit card. That left me with £100 in my account.

Now I've got this mysterious £200 more but there's no trace of an incoming credit on my live statement. WHAT.

Also my card is only £500 down now, I was expecting it to be around £1000. FUCKING HELL. Chaos.

Pepe
19-07-2017, 11:55 PM
Keep stoic mate.

mo
21-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Last week I watched a mate pay £75 for a plain white shirt from Ralph Lauren and realised what a fucking pauper I am. Wouldn't pay over a tenner for the same item.

More importantly, couldn't.

Spikey M
21-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Even if I could, I wouldn't.

mugbull
21-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Fucking hate capitalism

Kikó
21-07-2017, 05:22 PM
£75? Was it on sale?

Magic
21-07-2017, 06:16 PM