PDA

View Full Version : Film Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Bernanke
18-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes, everywhere.

Baz
18-03-2016, 11:05 AM
One review I heard (radio) of Bridge Of Spies was it should be prescribed to insomniacs.

simon
18-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Yes, everywhere.

That can be today's task then.

Foe
18-03-2016, 06:22 PM
the tree of life was garbage.

John
18-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Son of Saul. :drool:

Dark Soldier
18-03-2016, 10:14 PM
With no english subs :drool:

Foe
18-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Did anyone make any sense of Hail Caesar! ?

:moop:

John
18-03-2016, 10:43 PM
With no english subs :drool:

Fuck. Didn't check before grabbing it. :moop:

Foe
19-03-2016, 09:42 PM
The raid was all sorts of action.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Bernanke
20-03-2016, 12:12 AM
The raid was all sorts of action.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Now watch the second one. Generally regarded as a worse movie, but I liked it better.

Lewis
20-03-2016, 12:15 AM
The second one has better action, but it spends about an hour taking itself far too seriously.

Sir Andy Mahowry
20-03-2016, 12:37 AM
The second one has better action, but it spends about an hour taking itself far too seriously.
This.

randomlegend
20-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Hammer girl :drool:

Baz
20-03-2016, 12:49 AM
I watched Best Of Bumfights earlier. Not as good as I remember Bumfights being, but the music is boss.

Bernanke
20-03-2016, 12:55 AM

The kitchen scene. :drool:

Dark Soldier
20-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Put it on your planners or in your diaries:

Wednesday 11:15pm - Catch Me Daddy on Film 4.

A very well made low budget British thriller. An Asian girl is on the run from her family with her white boyfriend. Her family then comes to look for her. As with all the better British cinema its bleak as fuck, but I loved it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2626964/

Alan Shearer The 2nd
20-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I liked The Hateful Eight but felt a little disappointed. A work mate who actually knows his stuff about film had it as his favourite of last year and on par with Inglourious Basterds (which I loved). It just never had the tension to compete.

Dark Soldier
22-03-2016, 06:57 PM
YO SPACE NERDS

Star.Wars.Episode.VII.The.Force.Awakens.2015.720p. BluRay.x264-Replica

Ian
25-03-2016, 12:27 AM
Home, drunk, and watching a bit of Man on Fire. Which I like anyway because I fucking love a bit of Denzel.

But still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hLvWmytTo

:cool:

Henry
25-03-2016, 09:10 AM
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is boring.

Magic
25-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Babe is an absolute bag of shit. I remember it being much better.

Magic
25-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Going to try and convince my worse half to watch a film tonight, before she lavishes on the 'Eurgh I've got texting to do' or 'I'm too tired (can I watch Hawaii 5-0 or Essex instead?' bollocks. She really is a hateful woman.

Anyway, I've picked:

Creed
Big Short
Hateful Eight

Alex
25-03-2016, 04:38 PM
I watched The Big Short last night Magic, I thought it was really good. Probably the best of the three you've listed there actually.

Magic
25-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Would a woman like it though Alex?

Also why are there no decent torrents for GoT season 5?

EDIT: Found one.

Pepe
25-03-2016, 04:56 PM
A woman would like it.

Alex
25-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Would a woman like it though Alex?

:D

Yeah, I think so. I was expecting it to be a lot heavier, but it's basically a comedy-drama. Obviously a pretty serious one in places, but it's very funny as well.

It even has these little comedy cutaways where they get people to explain the jargon-heavy financial bits in the layman's terms as well.

John Arne
26-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Can someone tell me why none of the cars in Concussion have number plates?

John Arne
26-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Concussion was alright. Nothing more, nothing less. A fairly interesting story, but I'm not sure it worked telling it over a 2hr film.
The Oscar talk (timings aside) was ridiculous - the film, or acting is nowhere near good enough.

Browning
26-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Finally got round to seeing The Good Dinosaur. Very poor by Pixar's standards and especially disappointing coming after the wonderful Inside Out. It wasn't dreadful but it just was totally unoriginal.

Magic
26-03-2016, 05:51 PM
The little one really liked it.

Also I enjoyed The Big Short. I just love Carrell.

Foe
27-03-2016, 09:06 AM
big hero 6 was hugely disappointing. What a poor film

Boydy
27-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Currently watching The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2. I enjoyed the other ones but this is slow and boring.

Giggles
27-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Finally got a decent download and caught Star Wars. It was good in parts, meh in parts, but it's Star Wars so yeah.

SvN
27-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. Very good though, John Goodman is an absolute hero.

Magic
27-03-2016, 09:43 PM
The Hateful Eight was utterly hateful. What a boring pile of shite.

John
28-03-2016, 06:55 AM
The new Star Wars is just the first one with better effects and a crap villain. Did we have a thread on it?

Yevrah
28-03-2016, 07:15 AM
We did I think.

I saw it this week and was distinctly underwhelmed. The first hour is offensively child friendly and for most of the film I sat there thinking I'd seen it all before. There were a couple of nice touches and it's not as shit as the first two prequels, but it's about as safe a film as it could be. JJ Abrams really is bang average.

John
28-03-2016, 07:26 AM
I had a lol at Greg Grunberg turning up. Abrams is so dedicated to giving him work that he turns up in everything he does, yet even Abrams obviously realises he's crap because it's never more than a one line cameo. It's so thoroughly patronising at this point that I'm surprised Grunberg hasn't told him to shove it up his arse.

Ian
28-03-2016, 07:33 AM
That nostalgic fanboys have taken over doesn't alter that Star Wars films were always meant to be for children.

Giggles
28-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Read through it all there. I'd agree with a lot, but I won't get too hung up on some of the finer points mentioned as we know there's more to come so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sam
28-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Batman vs Superman was the ultimate pile of wank. It was dog shit.

Pepe
28-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Why would anyone expect otherwise?

Lewis
28-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Babe is an absolute bag of shit. I remember it being much better.

You silly cunt.

Vim
28-03-2016, 07:09 PM
I kind of enjoyed watching BvS but it was not well made at all. Bat-Affleck was actually good, but Superman and the emotionless pectoral muscles that portray him are absolute shite.

Basically I liked the parts where Batman was doing Batman stuff, and even Wonder Woman was watchable, but half the film is Lois fucking Lane walking about, and not even Jesse Eisenberg could save Lex Luthor from the ridiculous script he was given.

ItalAussie
29-03-2016, 12:27 AM
I find it really hard to get enthusiastic about Superman.

Boydy
29-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Superman's a fucking gimp.

John
29-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Deadpool is good fun but it's too self referential by a factor of ten.

Sam
29-03-2016, 08:07 AM
I kind of enjoyed watching BvS but it was not well made at all. Bat-Affleck was actually good, but Superman and the emotionless pectoral muscles that portray him are absolute shite.

Basically I liked the parts where Batman was doing Batman stuff, and even Wonder Woman was watchable, but half the film is Lois fucking Lane walking about, and not even Jesse Eisenberg could save Lex Luthor from the ridiculous script he was given.

Yeah Affleck was the brightest spark of the movie, he pretty much nailed it.

The whole plot was just fucking silly and the plot holes were even worse then your usually superhero flick. It really was garbage.

Vim
29-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Deadpool is good fun but it's too self referential by a factor of ten.

I'd say that was the whole point of the movie, the superhero genre poking fun at itself.

I loved it, found it very funny.

John
29-03-2016, 08:59 AM
The fourth wall breaks and jokes about the studio all fell completely flat for me. There were plenty of good jokes and the action was all well put together, but by about halfway through I was groaning inwardly every time he turned to the camera. Someone ought to have taken all writing implements away from whoever came up with the 'that's a big house' joke.

Sam
29-03-2016, 09:32 AM
The fourth wall breaks and jokes about the studio all fell completely flat for me. There were plenty of good jokes and the action was all well put together, but by about halfway through I was groaning inwardly every time he turned to the camera. Someone ought to have taken all writing implements away from whoever came up with the 'that's a big house' joke.

That's the whole point of Deadpool though, he's there to generally take the piss out of the superhero franchise. If anything, it ('fourth wall breaking') was the highlight that separates it from all the guff out there.

Lewis
30-03-2016, 09:37 PM

That about covers it, except I didn't particularly enjoy watching it. The last half hour was alright when all the shite was getting blown up; but fucking hell the rest of it. It was so serious as well. Jesus. It's a superhero film, lads.

Ian
30-03-2016, 10:53 PM
I love a superhero film but it's a proper steaming heap of turd.

Spoonsky
30-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Not to be that asshole, but: did any of you really expect anything different? The more people that go see these films, regardless of how well they like it, the more they'll get made.

John
30-03-2016, 11:58 PM
By all accounts it's a genuine disgrace. Not a Captain America, 'well that was a bit crap but the things blew up good' sort of mess. A real 'was there no oversight, how did this film get released in this state' clusterfuck.

SvN
31-03-2016, 12:16 AM
It always looked like it was going to be a total shambles from the very first trailer. Suicide Squad will be equally abysmal.

Ian
31-03-2016, 06:28 AM
DC want to ape Marvel's success and they want it NOW, without the patience Marvel showed. Of course Marvel have also made good TV series which tie into their canon while DC have looked at their TV shows and realised they're not at all in keeping with the film they want to make.

Suicide Squad looks a bit pants too but at least like some of the people involved might have enjoyed making it. I think Cavill's Superman has been allowed to smile about three times in two films. It's all so GRITTY.

Vim
31-03-2016, 07:26 AM
The lack of comic relief definitely hurts the movie. Not sure what they hoped to accomplish by making the movie so serious. Kids won't find it entertaining because of it and because Iron Man/Cap/Hulk are all brightly coloured whereas here it's all dark, and adults will presumably see through the shit film-making.

I'm also not excited about having some other guy playing the Flash after 2 years of watching the Flash TV show (which is really good, actually) with another actor. Like Ian said, DC don't seem to be tying their TV multi-verse into the movie universe at all.

Lewis
31-03-2016, 11:45 AM
That's a good point. It's not good enough to be DARK and SERIOUS like the Christopher Nolan films, and it isn't fun enough to cover all its holes, so in the end it just comes across as having tried far too hard.

Pepe
31-03-2016, 12:50 PM
A real 'was there no oversight, how did this film get released in this state' clusterfuck.

Yet plenty of manchildren watching to make a fortune.

Not sure what they hoped to accomplish by making the movie so serious. Kids won't find it entertaining because of it and because Iron Man/Cap/Hulk are all brightly coloured whereas here it's all dark, and adults will presumably see through the shit film-making.

After they paid for their ticket.

Thirty year old kids are better business than ten year old kids, what with them having more money (except Boydy.) That's why superhero movies are GRITTY as opposed to fun now. I guess.

Henry
31-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Batman v Superman is pretty mediocre, but its failures are different from those in the Marvel universe. Too dour, a plot that makes no sense whatsoever, but some nice worldbuilding and Eisenberg as Luthor is good (am I the only one who thinks that?)

The resolution of the big fight is fucking stupid. Our mothers have the same name! Fuck off.

Sam
31-03-2016, 01:31 PM
The resolution was fucking stupid, a guy two rows in front got up and walked out at that point :D

Vim
31-03-2016, 01:43 PM
After they paid for their ticket.

Thirty year old kids are better business than ten year old kids, what with them having more money (except Boydy.) That's why superhero movies are GRITTY as opposed to fun now. I guess.

But thirty year old kids, after watching this shite, will probably wait for the pirated version of Suicide Squad etc. to come out instead of going to the cinema.

Pepe
31-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Nah, they'll still pay for it and then bitch about it. I mean, did anyone expect 'Batman vs Superman' to be anything other than complete trash?

Jase
31-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Batman vs Superman is total crap. It's main problem, aside from plot, script and editing, was that is that it shouldn't exist yet. I couldn't give a monkeys about this Batman or Superman so them battering the fuck out of each other has no emotional weight. Throw in the worst version of Lex Luthor this planet's ever seen, a shoehorned in Doomsday, a ridiculously long running time and Henry Cavill's Man of Cardboard and you've got a stinker.

phonics
31-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Nah, they'll still pay for it and then bitch about it. I mean, did anyone expect 'Batman vs Superman' to be anything other than complete trash?

X men
X men 2
Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins and the second one

Outside of that, they're all a bit shit.

Lewis
31-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the best of the lot.

Ian
31-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Lewis is correct. You could, to an extent, take out the super powers, rejig a couple of things slightly and still have yourself a solid, slightly futuristic action thriller-y thing.

Spikey M
31-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Just watched 'The Babadook' which was alright, except the kid was more annoying than scary. Needs a dig in the ribs irl tbh imo.

Vim
31-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Winter Soldier is the best of the MCU movies, the first Iron Man and Avengers are also great. Guardians too, though the villain was shite.

ItalAussie
01-04-2016, 01:31 AM
Ant Man, while not an all-time great film, was enjoyably watchable. Probably because the stakes mostly felt really low.

Vim
01-04-2016, 07:56 AM
I was positively surprised by Ant-Man, mainly because I genuinely couldn't even imagine a superhero called Ant-Man not being completely lame. Shame about the villain just being an evil guy in another shrink suit. It was basically the same thing as Iron Man, who always seems to be fighting against other suits of armor.

Serj
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
I just watched Ant-Man yesterday, and I guess all of the people calling it a positive surprise raised my expectations too much. The first half was absolutely terrible. Hardly any of the jokes worked, and it couldn't decide whether it takes itself seriously or not (and it mostly does). When they stop doing that in the second half and just get a bit silly with it, it's a lot better.

Ian
01-04-2016, 06:09 PM
I was positively surprised by Ant-Man, mainly because I genuinely couldn't even imagine a superhero called Ant-Man not being completely lame. Shame about the villain just being an evil guy in another shrink suit. It was basically the same thing as Iron Man, who always seems to be fighting against other suits of armor.

This goes for many superheroes. It's annoying once you notice it. Arrow this year is interesting on that front though.

John
01-04-2016, 06:16 PM
The Flash is the worst for that.

Sir Andy Mahowry
01-04-2016, 06:31 PM
The Flash is the worst for that.

Yes, that's its major flaw.

Mix it up lads.

Vim
02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
The Flash is speedster after speedster after speedster, it does get kind of boring when "run faster" is really the only thing he can do to prepare for fighting the villain.

The show itself is still miles better than Arrow in the last two seasons. This season of Arrow has me close to stop watching it.

Spikey M
02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Superheros are shit.

Kikó
02-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I watched the Big Short last night and it did quite a good job of explaining a complex and relatively dry subject. Steve Carrel was great throughout. Amazing to think the whole jenga house has been rebuilt and we're doing it all again.

Magic
03-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Zootropolis. :D / :drool:

Serj
04-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Been on a bit of a space-movie binge recently.

First off, The Martian. Very enjoyable, and quite different from most space movies in that it maintains this sort of easy-going/we-can-do-this vibe throughout its running time. The dialogues/monologues are full of jokes, and nobody seems to dwell on problems or despair at the odds of achieving unlikely things. On the one hand it is refreshing because many space movies tend to rely on characters that are not only fallible, but completely inept (hi, Prometheus). On the other hand it removes a bit of conflict and tension because every pickle they get into seems so completely solvable. But that's more a slight problem than a major flaw, because the how of the problem-solving and the characters on screen stay interesting enough.

After that, Sunshine. This one was a re-watch and it remains one of those films that i can watch over and over again. The interplay between visuals and sound is just awe-inducing, even on my shoddy laptop screen and speakers. The scene where Kaneda is swallowed by the wall of light, for example. :drool: Where The Martian focuses more on a realistic near-future scenario and man's/science's problem-solving skills, this one is far more philosophical, pondering man's position in the universe, the effects of isolation and the inter-personal dynamics on a space ship, all with strong religious undertones. I think it pulls all that off very well; the third act is notoriously hated on, and I do think it doesn't hold up to the parts before it, but nevertheless at its worst its still servicable, and visually still very good.

Lastly, yesterday I saw Interstellar for the first time. The last film of Nolan's before that was The Dark Knight Rises, which was all over the place, so I didn't expect very much. And it does have some glaring "Nolan problems", in that the main reason many of his characters have for existing is to deliver expository dialogue, making some conversations feel a bit odd and leaving the uncomfortable sensation that the film is being explained to you while you're watching it. The pacing's off in parts as well. Contrast the farmhouse scenes in the beginning with Cooper's seamless reintroduction into NASA, for example. I think they meant to emphasize the suddenness off Murph's father being taken away from her, but it seemed a far too easy decision for him Overall, though, I was impressed by how an almost three-hour-long film kept me hooked for its whole running time. I think while it's a film that's interested in balancing out hard science with core human emotions and flaws (love vs. egoism, for example) and how that influences our identity and future survival, it mostly succeeds as one man's journey; as such it's very much dependent on McConaughey's acting chops, and he really delivers. The visuals are also spectacular in parts. I read a lengthy discussion on a film subreddit on how Nolan always plays it safe with cinematography and it's always either close-up or wide-angle cinematic shot, but I really liked it. The cameras mounted to the vehicles made the whole journey immersive, and some of the space scenes left me properly awestruck. The closest I was to being bored was the "docking" scene The one where Cooper rescues the main ship after Mann partly blew it up, he didn't ever seem to not succeed, and it was a bit visual-effects-for-their-own-sake, like almost all of Gravity.Overall, a really good, but flawed movie. And it definitely made me want to watch Contact again. Also, TARS. :cool:

Yevrah
04-04-2016, 11:34 AM
What's Nolan doing next?

Magic
04-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Room was fantastic as well, really hard hitting. I can imagine it's far worse in real life (Fritzl and that Mexican dude). Makes you think about it from the kid's perspective, rapist/kidnapper father etc.

Especially thinking back to the Fritzl shit and my attitudes towards the children (they're fucked etc). Devastating. A wonderful concept, and I bet the book is far, far more harrowing.

Serj
04-04-2016, 12:25 PM
What's Nolan doing next?

Dunkirk, about the evacuation of the soldiers there during World War II, out Summer 2017.

Magic
04-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Anyone seen 10 Cloverfield Lane or Eddie the Eagle?

Yes that is all that seems decent at the cinema tonight. :sick:

leedsrevolution
04-04-2016, 04:16 PM
10 clover field is good. Brilliant performance by John Goodman and the girl in it is well tasty.

Magic
04-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I've never seen Cloverfield...does that matter?

leedsrevolution
04-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Not at all.

leedsrevolution
04-04-2016, 04:19 PM
I can sum it up for you in a sentence. Godzilla film, with a shakey camera.

Magic
04-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Hmm, it's on quite late (21:10) not sure if I can be arsed. Plus horror films seem to attract hordes of arrogant, rude, young Pakistani origin men.

Foe
04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Mud was a bit meh. Which is a shame as I really like mcconachey.

leedsrevolution
04-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Hmm, it's on quite late (21:10) not sure if I can be arsed. Plus horror films seem to attract hordes of arrogant, rude, young Pakistani origin men.

That is quite late. It's not a horror though.

Henry
05-04-2016, 11:45 AM
http://screenrant.com/blade-runner-2-dave-bautista-robin-wright/?utm_source=SR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P

Fucking sacrilege.

Yevrah
05-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Ryan Gosling as the lead. :D

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Batista throwing around powerbombs to replicants.

Brilliant.

John
05-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Harrison Ford is having a good time of it just reprising characters he made famous thirty odd years ago. That'll be Han Solo, Deckard, and Indiana Jones in the space of a couple of years.

I'm not seeing the sacrilege in that story. Ryan Gosling is a personality vacuum but that's about it. Batista can act, Robin Wright is brilliant, the script is being written by at least one of the original people and Harrison Ford reckons it's great. Largely good news. And the unwatchable Rutger Hauer won't be in it.

Henry
05-04-2016, 04:16 PM
The problem is with making a sequel in itself. There's absolutely no call for one other than to cash-in. It can do nothing but undermine the ambiguity and the ending of the first movie.

EDIT: Ridley Scott is doing the same thing as Ford. He's probably lost his touch at this stage and is revisting his earlier successes.

Kikó
05-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Room was fantastic as well, really hard hitting. I can imagine it's far worse in real life (Fritzl and that Mexican dude). Makes you think about it from the kid's perspective, rapist/kidnapper father etc.

Especially thinking back to the Fritzl shit and my attitudes towards the children (they're fucked etc). Devastating. A wonderful concept, and I bet the book is far, far more harrowing.

Definitely. Really quite good although it lost me for a bit shit three quarters of the way in. I probably would have bludgeoned the kid to death when he shrieked at me as well.

The kid got better and better though and was the star by the end.

Yevrah
05-04-2016, 08:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-QPMcSmJE

:drool:

Magic
05-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Definitely. Really quite good although it lost me for a bit shit three quarters of the way in. I probably would have bludgeoned the kid to death when he shrieked at me as well.

The kid got better and better though and was the star by the end.

Aye. Was hoping he would be a sex slave too but no joy.

Yevrah
07-04-2016, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjTh5tFiZM&nohtml5=False

Oh dear.

Lewis
07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
I saw that earlier. It's more like Harry and Paul's Ricky Gervais than David Brent.

John
07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
For fuck sake.

leedsrevolution
07-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Rogue one trailer out.

SvN
07-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I did laugh at "Juice", but it doesn't fill me with confidence at all. I hope he surprises me.

Yevrah
07-04-2016, 02:45 PM
The problem with the idea is that in and of itself the David Brent character is at best tired and at worst just not very good any more, which might have been ok if the old cast were back for him to play off, but without that continuity there's little chance of Brent talking to randomers in offices and recording studios being able to sustain a 90 minute plus feature film.

phonics
07-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Who remembers 'The Invention Of Lying'? That has to be one of the least funny comedy movies I've seen. With bad comedies you're annoyed because it's actively unfunny whereas anything Ricky Gervais has appeared in the decade or so since Extras has left me just... bored? And then whenever he tries to do something different it's so fucking saccharine I spend most of the time trying not to vomit.

Henry
07-04-2016, 03:28 PM
The Invention of Lying was good. More satire than comedy if I remember.

The Brent thing does look shit, unfortunately. Rogue One looks much more "adult" than other Star Wars, for want of a better word.

SvN
07-04-2016, 03:36 PM
The premise of "The Invention of Lying" was interesting, but it ended up being pretty "meh". Apparently, not knowing how to lie means you have Tourette's and shout out random insults at people.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
07-04-2016, 03:39 PM
What's wrong with Rutger Hauer, John?

I've only seen him in Blade Runner, The Hitcher and Batman Begins. Is he that bad in other films?

Vim
07-04-2016, 04:30 PM
The Invention of Lying was decent. It ended up being more of a romance and thoughtful thing than comedy, also Louis CK looks so creepy without his goatee.

Pleb
07-04-2016, 05:08 PM
The Rogue One trailer looks great.

Yevrah
07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I liked Invention of Lying, but not because it was funny (it wasn't).

Giggles
07-04-2016, 07:38 PM
It had completely escaped me til now, but they're sticking Star Wars films in between the other films? What shit.

Yevrah
07-04-2016, 07:59 PM
I didn't even know a spin off was happening.

Better than superhero movies I suppose, but there really isn't enough to the lore to sustain all this in the way Disney seem to be trying to.

Giggles
07-04-2016, 08:08 PM
I know there's always loads of nerd fan fiction stuff, but it just dilutes it all when you bring out shit like Episode III.5.

Yevrah
07-04-2016, 09:13 PM
The House at the end of the Street was, well, alright actually.

leedsrevolution
07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Rogue one is just about how they stole the plans for the original death star - nothing really wrong with that. Keeps the fans happy and makes them some more money.

leedsrevolution
07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
The young Han Solo effort is going to be tricky though. Need to be careful there.

Browning
07-04-2016, 10:28 PM
I suspect Episode 3.5 is just an excuse to roll out Darth Vader.

Giggles
07-04-2016, 10:30 PM
I suspect Episode 3.5 is just an excuse to roll out Darth Vader.

Are they going to drag Christensen out of the abyss for this?

Sir Andy Mahowry
07-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Are they going to drag Christensen out of the abyss for this?

More than likely not.

They've all but confirmed that James Earl Jones will be voicing him so they'll probably just pay some random gimp to wear the suit.

Although considering how Christensen's career has played out since the Star Wars prequels, they could probably get him into the suit for a kit kat chunky and half a boost.

Foe
08-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Entoruage was pretty decent (in line with the to series).

Can imagine anyone who watched it without knowing the background would find it rubbish though.

Bernanke
08-04-2016, 08:19 PM
I feel physically ill after Spotlight.

John
08-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Your town named?

Bernanke
08-04-2016, 08:24 PM
No, but the list at the end was the kicker really.

Dark Soldier
08-04-2016, 10:44 PM
The Invitation: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400463/)

Absolutely fantastic, easily the best thing I've seen all year. Really slow for the majority, builds up the atmosphere well and has a creepy vibe throughout. Some good performances and a superb finish.

Kikó
08-04-2016, 11:01 PM
The Martian is brilliant. I think it's my favourite of the recent space films.

Foe
09-04-2016, 07:29 AM
varsity blues was :cool:

Ian
09-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Turner & Hooch is on. :cool:

Foe
09-04-2016, 07:38 PM
finally got around to watching the aviator

Don't think I've ever seen a bad do caprio film. He's so consistent.

Raoul Duke
09-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Watched Ex Machine and Her last night, in a sci-fi/AI combo. Both really good.

Also watched The Martian a while back, which was great as well. Matt Damon is one of those who's rarely in a shit film.

Giggles
09-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Watched Ex Machine and Her last night, in a sci-fi/AI combo. Both really good.

Also watched The Martian a while back, which was great as well. Matt Damon is one of those who's rarely in a shit film.

That seems to be getting loads of hype lately, but it's a couple of years old isn't it?

Is it just an Isaacs thing?

Raoul Duke
09-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Isaac is good in it, but it's more of an ensemble thing. They're all decent in it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
09-04-2016, 11:25 PM
I watched it the other week and thought it was great.

Yevrah
10-04-2016, 09:27 AM

Yep, although I think the only film of his I haven't seen is J. Edgar, which looked a genuine stinker.

Foe
10-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Yep, although I think the only film of his I haven't seen is J. Edgar, which looked a genuine stinker.

Good point. I actually turned that one off about ten minutes in as I feared the worst.

SvN
10-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I love The Aviator. That should've been his first Oscar, really.

I watched The Thing the other day for the first time. I had super high expectations, and while it was still good, I couldn't help but be a bit let down. The special effects have aged badly, which didn't help.

I downloaded The Invitation today, based on the post upthread by DS. It better not be shit.

Giggles
10-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Just seen an ad for an Angry Birds movie. Is that cash-in not about five years too late?

Shindig
10-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Animated films take five years to make.

Giggles
11-04-2016, 10:56 AM
http://www.newstalk.com/Star-Wars:-The-Force-Awakens-syncs-up-with-Pink-Floyds-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon

Been done, but the 8 minutes shown syncs up pretty well.

Spammer
11-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Argo

Yep, decent.

John Arne
13-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Just seen the trailer for that Harry Potter spin-off. Does Eddie Redmayne do the same gormless look for every character? He always looks like he is staring into the distance trying to remember whether or not he has left the gas on.

https://gyazo.com/11ee49e51afde4619e49687c5fcf4578.png

Henry
13-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Quest for Fire is really good, if you're interested in seeing a reasonably convincing portrayal of what it was like to live in the paleolithic.

Ian
14-04-2016, 06:34 PM
MIB 23: A Jump Street threequel-slash-Men in Black crossover?

Because, yeah, of course.

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2016, 06:48 PM
I actually thought you had made that up.

I honestly don't know what to say.

Vim
14-04-2016, 06:54 PM
The Jump Street movies were really great, if it's the same people behind it then hopefully they keep it going.

John
14-04-2016, 07:30 PM
I heard about that on April 1st and just assumed it was a really lazy joke. It definitely should be.

Giggles
14-04-2016, 07:41 PM
I had heard it and assumed the same first off. Can nobody come up with an idea better than that?

Sir Andy Mahowry
14-04-2016, 08:30 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36043996

America are so shit.

John
14-04-2016, 09:38 PM
They are, but that's not really an American problem. They should just have certain screenings which cater for twats who can't turn their phone off for two hours, like the ones that let babies in. Short of that the obvious answer is to split the room in two, whack in some one way glass, and have the back section reserved for the twats.

phonics
15-04-2016, 11:04 AM
So I didn't know they were making a live action Ghost in the Shell, I also didn't know that Scarlett Johannson is playing Mitoko :D It's Moses played by Christian Bale all over again.

Spammer
15-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Oldboy

Yeah, that was a lot more fucked up than I remember it being. I didn't really enjoy it that much, in honesty. I remember absolutely loving it when I was 16, but didn't really care for it this time around.

phonics
15-04-2016, 11:49 AM
It's one of the most overrated films of all time.

John
15-04-2016, 11:58 AM
So I didn't know they were making a live action Ghost in the Shell, I also didn't know that Scarlett Johannson is playing Mitoko :D It's Moses played by Christian Bale all over again.

No it isn't. Moses is a semi-historical figure with one very specific story to tell, which can't really be transplanted elsewhere. They could easily take the narrative of Ghost in the Shell and set it in New York or wherever.

If they set it in Japan and contort themselves trying to fit a white actress into the lead role they need a slap though.

phonics
15-04-2016, 12:32 PM
No it isn't. Moses is a semi-historical figure with one very specific story to tell, which can't really be transplanted elsewhere. They could easily take the narrative of Ghost in the Shell and set it in New York or wherever.

If they set it in Japan and contort themselves trying to fit a white actress into the lead role they need a slap though.

It is set in Japan. She's called Mitoko. She's even got a dodgy wig / blowdry to make her hair look Asian.

John
15-04-2016, 12:47 PM
As far as I can tell it's being filmed in New Zealand and the character name hasn't been confirmed beyond 'Major', but I'll take your word for it.

It's a bit lol but there seems to be no logic to when and where these 'whitewashing' debates crop up. Taking Oldboy as an example, there was a white actress cast in the remake as a character named Haeng-Buk with absolutely no complaint, and the process of remaking that film with a white cast is itself no different to this Ghost in the Shell film. It's taking an existing property and fucking with it until it fits their market.

Lewis
15-04-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm looking forward to these four (FOUR) Avatar sequels.

Vim
15-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Four? Christ.

Mazuuurk
15-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Haha what?

THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Oceans from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Mountains from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Swamps from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Desert from the cruel exploitation of Man!

AND AS ALWAYS, count on lots and lots of PREMIUM BESTIALITY SMURF PORN!

Lewis
15-04-2016, 04:04 PM
I liked the first one, and it's still (ninety years later) the only film to have properly donned 3D.

Vim
15-04-2016, 04:25 PM
That's probably because it's the only film where we were all actively looking for how good the 3D was. It was very, very good. Every film after that, good 3D basically became a given.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Tomorrowland is such bollocks.

ItalAussie
16-04-2016, 05:54 AM
I liked the first one, and it's still (ninety years later) the only film to have properly donned 3D.

Hugo.

ItalAussie
16-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Haha what?

THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Oceans from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Mountains from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Swamps from the cruel exploitation of Man!
THIS TIME: watch the Smurfs defend the Desert from the cruel exploitation of Man!

AND AS ALWAYS, count on lots and lots of PREMIUM BESTIALITY SMURF PORN!

I've noticed this happening a bit lately. Sequels to films that absolutely nobody wants.

For some reason, they've been pushing the sequel(/prequel?) to The Huntsman, a Snow White adaption that nobody watched or cared about.

Weird. It's like they've got the intellectual properties, and dammit if they aren't going to do something with them.

Foe
16-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Well that didn't last long. Gangs of New York was a whole load of nothing. Really wasn't impressed by it. Also watched Master and Commander a few days ago which although nothing special, was perfectly watchable.

Sir Andy Mahowry
16-04-2016, 10:25 PM
I thought that Concussion was great.

They probably didn't nominate Will purely because of his accent though.

Oh and the character played by Mike O'Malley is a MASSIVE dickhead. If he is based on a real character I'm sure Omalu has battered him.

Baz
17-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Master And Commander is a film I came out of the pictures thinking was really really.great, but can't imagine I'll ever watch again.

SvN
17-04-2016, 10:30 AM
The Jungle Book was probably as good as it could've possibly been. It was fantastic. I went in expecting to hate it.

Magic
17-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Fuck I opted not to go because I thought it would be shit.

Yevrah
17-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Yeah, Kermode reckoned they absolutely nailed it, having gone in thinking what's the point.

Magic
17-04-2016, 10:55 AM
I should have known by the cast. Fuck!

Giggles
17-04-2016, 05:07 PM
In fairness, 'as good as it could've been' probably still means it's shit. It's a fucking musical cartoon (or maybe this isn't a cartoon, but anyway).

randomlegend
17-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Classic Giggles.

Yevrah
17-04-2016, 07:26 PM
He's probably right mind.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
18-04-2016, 10:52 AM
I've now watched The Invitation and The Witch, both worth a watch with knowing as little as possible about them going in.

I actually thought The Invitation did a pretty good job of keeping you guessing which way it was going to go. The Witch seems to be a bit love/hate but very few films manage to be as creepy and give the chills like that. Similar to It Follows and The Babadook in that respect.

leedsrevolution
18-04-2016, 12:00 PM
The Witch is brilliant.

Bernanke
18-04-2016, 12:06 PM
I am so hyped about The Junglebook. :drool:

Got The Invitation lined up for sometime this week. The trailer looked cool as hell.

SvN
18-04-2016, 12:14 PM
I thought The Invitation was good, but not quite the level DS made it out to be. Enjoyed it though.

Mazuuurk
18-04-2016, 02:09 PM
I've noticed this happening a bit lately. Sequels to films that absolutely nobody wants.

For some reason, they've been pushing the sequel(/prequel?) to The Huntsman, a Snow White adaption that nobody watched or cared about.

Weird. It's like they've got the intellectual properties, and dammit if they aren't going to do something with them.

Yeah I saw that. I do understand Avatar more in that case, because the first film was a huge Box office hit and going off of that, I guess that makes more sense. But the Huntsman one, that baffles me as well. The first one can not have generated very much money...

Sir Andy Mahowry
18-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Yeah I saw that. I do understand Avatar more in that case, because the first film was a huge Box office hit and going off of that, I guess that makes more sense. But the Huntsman one, that baffles me as well. The first one can not have generated very much money...

Touch under $400m from $170 budget which is better than I'd have thought.

phonics
18-04-2016, 02:25 PM
It doubled it's budget. The reason there's a sequel is because it was made as a Co-Picture deal between Universal and a Chinese Production Company. You have to assume that the Chinese company invested a shit ton of money in Universal and so gave them the opportunity to spin out a sequel. Roth Films (the production company for the original) has a minimal role in the sequel.

ItalAussie
19-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Yeah I saw that. I do understand Avatar more in that case, because the first film was a huge Box office hit and going off of that, I guess that makes more sense. But the Huntsman one, that baffles me as well. The first one can not have generated very much money...I read an interesting article about Avatar which pointed out the very true fact that, despite making a fortune at the time, Avatar has left almost no pop culture footprint. To an almost baffling degree.

Which is true. I saw Avatar in the cinema, and I can barely remember a thing about it. It's certainly not something I've discussed with any kind of regularity.

SvN
19-04-2016, 12:56 AM
I'm the same. I remember leaving the cinema thinking "That was quite good" and that was that. I remember it was about some mineral called unobtainium (cringe), but beyond that, I literally have no clue what it was about.

Sir Andy Mahowry
19-04-2016, 01:02 AM
Fuck off was it called that.

Edit: It was as well :face:

What a shambles.

Will be interesting to see how the sequels do as the first was probably a huge success due to being the first big 3D film.

Vim
19-04-2016, 07:09 AM
I'm hoping they take the story in a very different direction. The first one was incredibly innovative in terms of visuals and incredibly unoriginal in terms of story. If they flip this around then it's worth watching, I don't think we will be impressed by the visuals anymore.

wullie
19-04-2016, 10:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E

I read Look Who's Back last year but I didn't realise they'd made a film of it too. Strangely they've just gone for a Borat approach with Hitler travelling the country as a curiosity in improvised scenes with the public for most of it, which is nice enough but should have been a much smaller part of the story. Particularly because everybody appears to love a fake Hitler in real life now.

John
19-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I read an interesting article about Avatar which pointed out the very true fact that, despite making a fortune at the time, Avatar has left almost no pop culture footprint. To an almost baffling degree.

Which is true. I saw Avatar in the cinema, and I can barely remember a thing about it. It's certainly not something I've discussed with any kind of regularity.

I think that's down to a combination of how 'other' the whole thing was trying to be and the complete lack of anything kids want to imitate.

As a place Pandora looked good but it was deeply boring, and the characters were essentially just blue environmentalists who lived in a treehouse.

Mazuuurk
19-04-2016, 08:57 PM
I think that's down to a combination of how 'other' the whole thing was trying to be and the complete lack of anything kids want to imitate.

As a place Pandora looked good but it was deeply boring, and the characters were essentially just blue environmentalists who lived in a treehouse.

It was basically Pocahontas.

Raoul Duke
19-04-2016, 09:04 PM
I couldn't even tell you what the main character's names are in Avatar. It is weird, you're right.

Magic
22-04-2016, 02:59 PM
So is Spotlight any good then, and is it better than Deliver Us From Evil (which rocked me to the core)? The wife hates stuff like that so hopefully Spotlight is the stuff of nightmares for her. :drool:

John
22-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Those two films aren't remotely comparable.

Magic
22-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I thought they were about noncery in the Catholic church?

Giggles
22-04-2016, 06:22 PM
Just seen Jim Sheridan on TV. Dunno the fuck I was thinking was him all these years but it wasn't this guy.

John
22-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I thought they were about noncery in the Catholic church?

As I remember it DUFE (a great acronym for it) is about a paranormal detective bloke catching demons. Spotlight is a true story about a small group of journalists slowly uncovering something horrible.

Dark Soldier
22-04-2016, 08:43 PM
He means this John, get ya facts right bro before trying to get one over someone:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814075/

A superb doc, btw.

John
22-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Where was I trying to get one over? :cab:

That's close enough to Spotlight that it might actually make watching unnecessary.

Dark Soldier
22-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Where was I trying to get one over? :cab:

Most threads :ae:

Magic
22-04-2016, 08:59 PM
As I remember it DUFE (a great acronym for it) is about a paranormal detective bloke catching demons. Spotlight is a true story about a small group of journalists slowly uncovering something horrible.

Actual lol.

Anyway it's a great film, really intense. Probably a lot grimmer IRL. It tied in nicely with 'DUFE', which concentrates on the actual perp. To me it was far more sinister experiencing the mindset he had and getting to know his victims. This made it both easier and harder to accept that this occurs on a gigantic, worldwide scale.

We write it off as lol nonce priest etc but it has such absolutely awful effects as all child abuse does on the victims of it.

I bet it's absolutely rampant in other religions too, most notably Islam. There should be some equivalent on that.

Magic
22-04-2016, 09:04 PM
I guess there won't be, Catholicism Is an Autocracy, there is established hierarchy. There's nothing similar in Islam. And there's so many variants.

Yevrah
22-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Which is true. I saw Avatar in the cinema, and I can barely remember a thing about it.

Not surprising really, given it was shit. Cameron just nailed the timing of the 3D.

Kikó
24-04-2016, 12:16 PM
I watched Trumbo and Creed the other day. Trumbo was a good story and well made.

Really enjoyed Creed. They got the right balance on the realism fantasy spectrum and it wasn't overly clichéd. Although the final round of the fight was pure fantasy. Hopefully they do another with similar quality.

Byron
24-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Waiting to see The Jungle Book.'mon my childhood nostalgia.

Byron
24-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Yup. Worth every penny.

Spoonsky
24-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Embrace of the Serpent was fascinating, one of the best movies of last year. My Golden Days was pretty disappointing though.

The new Linklater movie looks fun.

randomlegend
24-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I thought Jungle Book was pretty good, but I dunno what the fuck was with

making King Louie huge. I thought it seemed really out of place.

Byron
24-04-2016, 07:04 PM
I thought Jungle Book was pretty good, but I dunno what the fuck was with

making King Louie huge. I thought it seemed really out of place.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the fuck they were doing with that, it was almost as if Farveau needed to add some spectacle, despite you know, the whole movie being a spectacle up to that point.

That said, Kingsley was solid even if he just had to play the stern father figure. Murray was superb, especially with his endangered species comment. Elba was phenomenal and Johansson was really underused as Kaa had a bigger role if my memory is correct

Mellberg
26-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Jungle Book is excellent. You all need to go and see it.

Giggles
26-04-2016, 07:41 PM

I think I'll pass on that one k thx.

Boydy
26-04-2016, 09:15 PM

Didn't have you down as a manchild.

Magic
26-04-2016, 09:17 PM
You mean mancub?

Yevrah
27-04-2016, 09:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj3ZWhlmexw

At least Gervais is safe from the 'most tragic British sitcom film spin off of the year' award.

It was dreadful first time round, but I can't believe the will or the funding existed to get it off the ground as a movie, 20 years on.

I mean, look at it, just fucking look at it.

Spoonsky
27-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Is that Caitlyn Jenner?

John
27-04-2016, 09:50 PM
I can't even bring myself to click that.

I thought Joanna Lumley might have been doing alright what with her appearance in Wolf of Wall Street but it turns out she has a recent entry on her CV called 'Gangsta Granny' featuring Rob Brydon and Miranda Hart, so no wonder she's going over old ground.

Yevrah
27-04-2016, 09:52 PM
That's part of the tragedy, in that she's a pretty good actress.

Magic
27-04-2016, 09:58 PM
The plot is they've killed Kate Moss? :D

Has Kermode done a review yet?

Giggles
Of all shows I could never understand the popularity of 'ab fab'. It was fucking septic.

Yevrah
:drool:

Not out until summer.

John
27-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I'll sometimes stick one of the many playlists of his old reviews on Youtube on as background noise when I'm doing housework or something. I came across one the other day where he advocates kicking off the Cold War again because some Russian American co-production he'd seen was shite. He does have a talent for hyperbole.

Magic
27-04-2016, 10:02 PM
The idea of it being a summer blockbuster makes it even better.

Yevrah
27-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Is BBC Films funded in any part by the license fee? If so, we've all helped pay for it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
27-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Of all shows I could never understand the popularity of 'ab fab'. It was fucking septic.
Indeed, I also couldn't stand Birds of a Feather although that might be due to Pauline Quirk.

Shindig
28-04-2016, 05:37 AM
David Jason needs to die before they pitch a film to him. BBC comedy writing is now just people falling over.

phonics
28-04-2016, 10:04 AM
This Snowden movie looks HORRENDOUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSAiI3xMh4

I thought Oliver Stone was supposed to be good? Everything of his I've watched recently has been complete garbage. Going through his IMDB, the last good movie he made was Any Given Sunday in 1999...

Henry
28-04-2016, 10:38 AM
I used to think Oliver Stone was good as well. But you go back and watch his stuff, and it's terribly heavy-handed and simplistic.

Magic
30-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Anyone seen Adaptation or Clerks?

Spoonsky
30-04-2016, 06:51 PM
I watched Clerks and, given that it's my sort of movie, I thought it was disappointing. But it wasn't a terrible way to pass an hour and a half and it might make you feel better about your own life situation.

Magic
30-04-2016, 06:52 PM
What is that supposed to mean you little shit?

Also is the Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy worth watching? A part of me wants to watch it but the other part of me is adamant not to, funnily enough because I was thinking it would be the sort of soppy, pretentious shite you would like, Leo.

John
30-04-2016, 06:54 PM
I like Clerks but it's aged quite badly and suffered from a lot of the better jokes either being quoted to death or having appeared in other things. There are some truly dreadful acting performances to lol at though, and that's always welcome.

Magic
30-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Also getting High Fidelity and The Station Agent.

Ian
30-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Original Karate Kid is on. :cool:

Boydy
30-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Adaptation is good.

Magic
30-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Opted for the Station Agent. It's exactly the sort of film that appeals to me. Built up nicely so far.

Pepe
30-04-2016, 08:23 PM
So far? :nono:

Pleb
30-04-2016, 08:53 PM
So Civil War is actually decent.

Makes the Batman-Superman combo a little bit silly #moveoverdc

Magic
30-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Yep Station Agent was really good. So simple but engaging and endearing characters developed really well. Recommended.

Spoonsky
30-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Also is the Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy worth watching? A part of me wants to watch it but the other part of me is adamant not to, funnily enough because I was thinking it would be the sort of soppy, pretentious shite you would like, Leo.

:nod:

Serj
02-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy today. I might watch it again, because I suspect I wasn't really in the right mindset for it straight after watching the latest Game of Thrones episode. Anyway, on first viewing it just felt like a flat, disjointed mess. Also, it might just be nostalgia goggles on my part but I don't remember eighties/nineties cheesy blockbusters being as extremely try-hard (at least the ones that are commonly said to be good, like this one). Especially the raccoon and Batista's character, their supposedly funny one-liners just felt extremely forced most of the time. I'll probably give it another chance at some point, but there does seem to be something about the Marvel movies that really doesn't do it for me in general.

Henry
04-05-2016, 06:43 PM
The Witch is really good - quite authentic period stuff which is fairly deep.

SvN
04-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Downloaded it today, been looking forward to it for months.

Magic
04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Captain America Civil War was awesome.

Vim
04-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Yep it was. So many people were claiming it was going to be another Avengers movie, but instead I'm glad they went down the route of less humour and more plot like The Winter Soldier. I'm still not sold on Vision and I don't like War Machine, but I was really impressed with Falcon and Black Panther.

Magic
04-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Spider Man was a bit weird though.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-05-2016, 05:45 PM
I think Spiderman worked really well, they nailed what the character is all about.

Might be biased as I just watched it, but I think that was my favourite superhero film including the Nolan Batman's.

I think it definitely would be the best if they had utilised Crossbones more (a five minute or so fucking cameo wasn't good enough) as well as Zemo who is a proper badass. But I'm hoping they reuse him in more films.

I agree with Zim on Vision, Black Panther and Falcon too.

Magic
05-05-2016, 05:46 PM
It's set up beautifully for the next one but it holds massive weight in its own right.

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Oh and I found Martin Freeman's accent really off putting at times.

Baz
05-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Is it really better than Deadpool?

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I think so, it's got more to it than Deadpool.

The plot is solid.

Also, the feeling inside when Captain America was on screen in the same pair of sunglasses I have :drool: Chris Evans pulls them off better than me but still.

Magic
05-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Yes it's better than Deadpool.

Baz
05-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I think I've had Civil War unintentionally spoiled for me by my comic book nerd mate, way before the film was even public knowledge. He once spent literally two days talking me through it. Does sound like a pretty awesome story tbf, but I think I'll wait for it to be on tele.