PDA

View Full Version : Mahow's all new, all new, all new food thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32

Spikey M
03-08-2021, 01:58 PM
The one I have with the paddle can do wet meals. I’ve made casseroles in it before.

Interesting. How does that work?

Luca
03-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Don’t most people use the air fryer to replicate things that they’d otherwise deep fry, like chips, wings, breaded stuff? In that case just use a deep pot full of oil and don’t pussyfoot about.

For other stuff (like the pizza reheating example above), surely you’d just turn on convection mode on your oven (which achieves largely the same thing) and not waste hundreds of quid on another tool?

Don
03-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Fam, we been locked in for 18 months with money burning a hole in our pockets. If you think we're gonna sit there idly and watch the Joneses stock up on air-fryers, automatic hoovers and robot-operated sock fitters without reacting, you're a bit of a cunt.

Spikey M
03-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Don’t most people use the air fryer to replicate things that they’d otherwise deep fry, like chips, wings, breaded stuff? In that case just use a deep pot full of oil and don’t pussyfoot about.

For other stuff (like the pizza reheating example above), surely you’d just turn on convection mode on your oven (which achieves largely the same thing) and not waste hundreds of quid on another tool?

You spend that on a belt you slag.

Luca
03-08-2021, 03:44 PM
At least I can use the belt for multiple purposes (fashion, to whip Taz, etc.)

Boydy
03-08-2021, 04:21 PM

You clearly didn't see enough chip pan fire warning adverts in the 90s in Canada.

Luca
03-08-2021, 04:25 PM
The fires smoke out (lol) the feeble and weak.

niko_cee
03-08-2021, 04:32 PM
At least I can use the belt for multiple purposes (fashion, to whip Taz, etc.)

Thought this was going to turn out darker at first.

I'm all for the big pot of oil, but it does make a massive mess regardless of how careful you are, and you are left with a shit load of spent oil which you then have to deal with, which can be a ballache.

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:33 PM

Chips and wings and breaded stuff are what most people put in the oven these days too. The air fryer just does them better and quicker. Proper deep fried stuff using wet batter can’t be replicated in an air fryer.

Think of them more as an air “fryer” and then replace “fryer” with oven.

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Interesting. How does that work?

It’s sealed so long as you don’t go above the top of the paddle. Chuck all in and let it stir about. It’s not great.

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:39 PM
Speaking of wanky kitchen gadgets, that pressure cooker thing I bought is still just a very expensive rice cooker but still worth it because I don’t need to buy the pouches any more.

Luca
03-08-2021, 04:41 PM
Thought this was going to turn out darker at first.

I'm all for the big pot of oil, but it does make a massive mess regardless of how careful you are, and you are left with a shit load of spent oil which you then have to deal with, which can be a ballache.

The pandemic has not broken me just yet. :cool:

Tbf with the oil, a good strain and you can use it multiple times, but I get there are some impracticalities.

randomlegend
03-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Yeah I normally sieve it into a jug and then pour it back into the bottle for a few uses.

Luca
03-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Pressure cookers are great FWIW. There’s a genuine timesaver whose functionality is hard to replicate with other tools.

My dream wanky kitchen gadget is a precise induction burner where you can control it down to the degree. Fuck knows why I’d need one, it just looks fantastic. :cool:

randomlegend
03-08-2021, 04:45 PM
Pressure cookers are great FWIW. There’s a genuine timesaver whose functionality is hard to replicate with other tools.

My dream wanky kitchen gadget is a precise induction burner where you can control it down to the degree. Fuck knows why I’d need one, it just looks fantastic. :cool:

I want something like that for tempering chocolate and then keeping it melted but in temper.

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:47 PM
I did a couple of things in mine at the start but most were just to see if they worked. Cooking a very unappealing looking chicken in 40 minutes is grand the once just to say you did, but I never really found a practical use for it that was better than just cooking something low and for a long time (except the rice - that wouldn’t work).

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:48 PM
I wouldn’t be without gas rings, though I do need to find some way of throttling back the supply on these new ones as none of them go as low as I’d like.

Spikey M
03-08-2021, 04:53 PM
The pandemic has not broken me just yet. :cool:

Tbf with the oil, a good strain and you can use it multiple times, but I get there are some impracticalities.

Isn't reusing oil carcinogenic?

randomlegend
03-08-2021, 04:56 PM
Everything is carcinogenic.

Giggles
03-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Being alive is carcinogenic.

Luca
03-08-2021, 05:15 PM
I did a couple of things in mine at the start but most were just to see if they worked. Cooking a very unappealing looking chicken in 40 minutes is grand the once just to say you did, but I never really found a practical use for it that was better than just cooking something low and for a long time (except the rice - that wouldn’t work).

They’re very good for finishing stews and doing things like pulled pork in a fraction of the time, if you can’t afford the time for “low and slow.” If you can do/don’t mind the latter, then yeah, not as practical.

niko_cee
03-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Yeah I normally sieve it into a jug and then pour it back into the bottle for a few uses.

Aye, but you still have to deal with it at some point.

Luca
03-08-2021, 05:23 PM
Isn't reusing oil carcinogenic?

On the carcinogenicity of reused oil, the study in question used oil that had been reheated to frying temperature 55 times over 16 hours.

Reheating oil a few times at home before it goes rancid probably won’t move the needle. But I’m not THE SCIENCE, I’m just Yevrah.

Andy
04-08-2021, 05:52 AM

It's great for making stock as well.

I use mine a fair bit, like you though is most often use is for rice. Also quite often for cooking meat from frozen.

Jimmy Floyd
04-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Mugaritz has just been / is still on BBC2, coincidentally, on that Fred programme. It looks absolutely deranged. Even though all restaurant TV is puff pieces, you can tell Fred is a bit erm wtf.

Pepe
04-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Pressure cookers are a must for making beans, but that's about it.

randomlegend
04-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Mugaritz has just been / is still on BBC2, coincidentally, on that Fred programme. It looks absolutely deranged. Even though all restaurant TV is puff pieces, you can tell Fred is a bit erm wtf.

One of my favourite ever bits of cooking TV is when they took the final 3 on Professional MasterChef to Massimo Bottura's restaurant. Adam Handling CLEARLY thought it was a load of bollocks and got the hump :D

Giggles
04-08-2021, 07:27 PM
Pressure cookers are a must for making beans, but that's about it.

Would it not turn them to mush?

Pepe
04-08-2021, 07:35 PM
No.

randomlegend
04-08-2021, 08:08 PM

Oh nice the whole episode is on San Sebastian. That's helpful.

EDIT: Never mind I've watched it before :D

EDIT2: Actually seems worth watching again.

Jimmy Floyd
04-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Yep. The bloke with his tortillas is an alpha don.

Jimmy Floyd
05-08-2021, 07:48 AM
Last night I made this (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-black-bean-chicken-soup-kale) with a few changes such as binning off the kale for spinach (no one eats kale). All evening afterwards I felt so good, almost high, and it's carried over to this morning.

I googled black beans and find they apparently release serotonin. Who knew? I might get addicted to the little buggers, I'm high as a kite right now.

Manc
05-08-2021, 07:51 AM
Sounds delicious (minus the chicken). Not really one for summer though.

Ian
05-08-2021, 07:52 AM
I've cooked with kale once. Tried a bit raw (no idea if it would ever normally be eaten uncooked) and it was absolutely vile but it was alright in the sausage pasta thing it ended up in.

That soup does sound decent though.

Spikey M
05-08-2021, 07:58 AM
It's just cabage, but worse. I'll eat it if it's on the plate but I'd never put it there myself.

randomlegend
05-08-2021, 08:24 AM
Kale is awful, it has the texture of packaging.

niko_cee
05-08-2021, 09:05 AM
Kale is fine you weirdos, but cavolo nero is the champion middle class cabbage varietal.

Black beans are also good.

Spikey M
05-08-2021, 09:12 AM
Cavolo Nero is just Kale for dickheads.

Manc
05-08-2021, 09:30 AM
I have some in the fridge. Confirmed.

On the topic of healthy options, Mockingbird Raw Press smoothies really are the one.

niko_cee
05-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Aren't smoothies generally monumentally bad for you [at least by comparison to their perceived goodness] as they hit you with all the sugar but none of the main good thing [fibre] that fruit [and veg] gives you?

Sir Andy Mahowry
05-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Cavolo nero is brilliant.

Ian
05-08-2021, 11:20 AM
Aren't smoothies generally monumentally bad for you [at least by comparison to their perceived goodness] as they hit you with all the sugar but none of the main good thing [fibre] that fruit [and veg] gives you?

They taste nice so it stands to reason they're not good for you.

Pepe
05-08-2021, 11:22 AM
High on black beans. :D

Manc
05-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Ideally you want your smoothie to resemble mud in both colour and texture.

Boydy
05-08-2021, 11:52 AM
High on his own farts.

niko_cee
05-08-2021, 01:54 PM
Ideally you want your smoothie to resemble mud in both colour and texture.

Presumably the taste follows as well.

Baz
06-08-2021, 01:26 PM

They’re basically diabetes.

randomlegend
14-08-2021, 06:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Ivx2AuD.jpg

First go with the ooni.

Not perfect and few things I'd do different next time but tasted really good. You just cannot get the same from an electric oven.

Spikey M
14-08-2021, 06:58 PM
I'd be wanting the pepperoni a bit more crisp but that looks a good effort.

Luca
14-08-2021, 07:55 PM

First go with the ooni.

Not perfect and few things I'd do different next time but tasted really good. You just cannot get the same from an electric oven.

I used one for the first time at my uncle’s last weekend. 15/10, must purchase. Which version (fuel-wise) did you opt for?

The pizza looks ace.

Manc
14-08-2021, 07:58 PM
No basil?

randomlegend
14-08-2021, 08:03 PM
The wood pellet one. The exact one we have is the Ooni Fyra 12.

I was starting to wonder if I'd made the right choice before I lit it up today; when I was looking online to see how to do it a few people online were seeming to say they're a bit finicky. Honestly though it was very straightforward to get it going and hot. Very pleased with the decision now; you get the wood fired smokiness.

Bought non Ooni branded wood pellets as they were much cheaper (from Woodlets). A friend has built a proper brick wood fired pizza oven but given how much wood it takes to get it going (and the cost associated with that) I'd choose the Ooni over it every time. It was about 50p worth of woodchips to cook two pizzas and could probably have managed 3 or 4 because there were plenty left in the hopper when I finished.

They are a properly great little bit of engineering.

randomlegend
14-08-2021, 08:04 PM
No basil?

Heresy I know but I'm not massive on basil. Girl had some on hers (picked from her parents garden don'tchaknow)

Spikey M
14-08-2021, 09:02 PM
"I'm not massive on Basil" :D

Ian
24-08-2021, 06:21 PM
My Sistema microwave rice cooker is up there with the best things I've ever bought. Not only does it do perfect rice, but I always knew those Africans I lived with were taking the piss leaving rice boiling all day and night, so it has made me a better racist as well.

Digging out an old post here but is it the same one (or near enough) as this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Microwave-Rice-Cooker-2-6/dp/B00BTIVNT4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sistema+rice+steamer&qid=1629829164&sr=8-1)? Might take the plunge if it's good.

niko_cee
24-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Think my father in law just bought one of those. First batch of rice he cooked with it was rubbish, but think he freestyled it (not sure if it comes with instructions).

This (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-45002-M-Cuisine-Microwave-Plastic/dp/B012W9BI2K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=599SEWXHDGNY&dchild=1&keywords=joseph+joseph+rice+cooker&qid=1629829439&sprefix=joseph+joseph+rice+cook%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-3) is the macdaddy microwave rice cooker. Thrice the price though.

Ian
24-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Surely with it's just a matter of timing?

Lewis
24-08-2021, 06:43 PM
That is the exact one. You have to experiment with the times, yeah. Their guide is useless.

Adamski
24-08-2021, 06:50 PM

First go with the ooni.

Thats a great first effort! My first one nearly exploded, think I had put too much yeast in. Find a dough recipe that youre happy with and just stick with it would be my advice. The Ooni classic is decent and Sam Nixon on Instagram has a really straightforward one too that turns out pretty well most times I do it.

randomlegend
24-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Thats a great first effort! My first one nearly exploded, think I had put too much yeast in. Find a dough recipe that youre happy with and just stick with it would be my advice. The Ooni classic is decent and Sam Nixon on Instagram has a really straightforward one too that turns out pretty well most times I do it.

Had another go on Saturday. Improved on the things I wasn't quite happy with from the first attempt. Forgot to take a picture.

I'm honestly blown away with the Ooni, it's so simple and works so well.

This is the dough recipe I've used:
100% flour
65% Water
2.5% Salt
0.5-1% yeast

Dissolve the salt in the water. Add 10% of the flour to the water and mix well. Add the yeast. Add the rest of the flour and mix til it comes together. Knead for a few minutes. Do a stretch and fold every ten minutes for half an hour. Leave covered for another hour and a half. Portion into balls (240g for a 12inch pizza) and into the fridge for 24-36 hours.

I used 1% yeast on the first go and think it was a bit much. Cut it to 0.5% on the second and it was better.

Giggles
24-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Digging out an old post here but is it the same one (or near enough) as this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Microwave-Rice-Cooker-2-6/dp/B00BTIVNT4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=sistema+rice+steamer&qid=1629829164&sr=8-1)? Might take the plunge if it's good.

That’s the one I got. Never got to grips with it and then got the pressure cooker.

igor_balis
24-08-2021, 07:04 PM

First go with the ooni.

Is that a totally burnt to fuck effort just in shot on the right? :D

randomlegend
24-08-2021, 07:18 PM
That was the first of the two I did and yes I did turn one edge to charcoal. Most of it was fine. :D

Spikey M
24-08-2021, 07:29 PM
*2 weeks ago*

"Move your plate, I'm taking it again"

What?

"Move your plate, you can see that one's burnt"

What? It's like 8 pixels. Just crop it out

"THEN IT'LL BE OFF CENTRE"

Where are you posting this? Autistics Anonymous?

"Basically, yes"

What, all of them are Autistic?

"YES!"

Even that other lad in Norwich?

"ESPECIALLY THE OTHER LAD IN NORWICH, NOW MOVE YOUR FUCKING PLATE!"

Lewis
24-08-2021, 07:32 PM
Unlucky Bryon.

Ian
25-08-2021, 06:41 AM
Where are you posting this? Autistics Anonymous?

"Basically, yes"

What, all of them are Autistic?

"YES!"

Even that other lad in Norwich?

"ESPECIALLY THE OTHER LAD IN NORWICH, NOW MOVE YOUR FUCKING PLATE!"

:lol:

Pepe
25-08-2021, 12:20 PM
You don't need special tools to cook rice. Any saucepan will do.

Jimmy Floyd
25-08-2021, 01:07 PM
You don't need special tools to cook rice. Any saucepan will do.

Tell that to the British middle-class-wank-for-two-hundred-quid industry.

Giggles
25-08-2021, 01:11 PM
It doesn’t do though because if you ask 100 people how they do it you’ll get 100 different answers.

Spikey M
25-08-2021, 01:14 PM
It doesn’t do though because if you ask 100 people how they do it you’ll get 100 different answers.

It doesn't sound like rice cookers solve that problem though.

That is the exact one. You have to experiment with the times, yeah. Their guide is useless.

Boydy
25-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Just buy some boil in the bag.

Disco
25-08-2021, 01:21 PM
One part rice to two parts water, bit of salt and put the lid on, then lowest heat until all the water is gone. Works every time.

Spikey M
25-08-2021, 01:22 PM
That's pretty much what I do. Occasionally have to add a bit of water but it's no drama.

Pepe
25-08-2021, 01:37 PM
The key is to fry the rice a bit beforehand. That way you don't end with some mushy rice.

Don
25-08-2021, 01:52 PM
The white man's attempts at cooking rice. Stick to oven-cooked chips lads.

Pepe
25-08-2021, 02:05 PM
All about air fryers nowadays.

Luca
25-08-2021, 03:45 PM
The white man's attempts at cooking rice. Stick to oven-cooked chips lads.

They don't even attempt to create a tahdig, the simpletons. :nono:

Don
25-08-2021, 03:46 PM
:drool:

randomlegend
25-08-2021, 03:52 PM
I've toyed with getting a rice cooker a few times. I can do good rice in a pan, but the ease of whacking it in a rice cooker and knowing it'll be good every time is appealing.

The Chinese seem to absolutely swear by them.

Offshore Toon
25-08-2021, 03:58 PM
And when exactly have the Chinese been right about anything?

Kikó
25-08-2021, 04:00 PM
RL outing himself as a communist.

randomlegend
25-08-2021, 04:35 PM
And when exactly have the Chinese been right about anything?

If there's anything you'd think they'd be pretty clued up on it'd be rice.

niko_cee
25-08-2021, 05:32 PM
A £7-22 item to cook something in the microwave isn't exactly carbon fibre frame bike or set of Big Berthas midlife crisis level expenditure.

Now, there are rice cookers that fall into that category - the Japanese ones that provide a spectral analysis of the rice before deciding upon a cooking course of action for example.

Spikey M
25-08-2021, 05:46 PM
If there's anything you'd think they'd be pretty clued up on it'd be rice.

I'll consider trusting them on food issues when they stop peeling dogs like bananas.

Ian
25-08-2021, 06:07 PM
And how do you peel a dog then, eh?

Spikey M
25-08-2021, 06:08 PM
With a paring knife.

Disco
25-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Depends if you care about the peel or the banana.

Luca
26-08-2021, 05:24 AM
A £7-22 item to cook something in the microwave isn't exactly carbon fibre frame bike or set of Big Berthas midlife crisis level expenditure.

Now, there are rice cookers that fall into that category - the Japanese ones that provide a spectral analysis of the rice before deciding upon a cooking course of action for example.

AI-driven rice cookers (https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/npnwc) :drool:

Dquincy
26-08-2021, 08:46 AM

First go with the ooni.

Gas or wood pellets?

randomlegend
26-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Wood.

Boydy
26-08-2021, 10:36 AM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BTIVNT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_dl_1H46A5PK746JRV5CBA6 2

That Sistema rice cooker is on sale

Giggles
26-08-2021, 10:45 AM
Couldn't pass it up at that money, even if it didn't work it's a handy spoon and a container with a lid.

randomlegend
30-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Had a go with the ooni using dough from the last batch which I'd frozen. Defrosted it by leaving it out for a few hours til it came to room temperature.

It was MUCH harder to work with than when it was fresh. Still came out fine but I would definitely much rather use fresh dough when at all possible.

niko_cee
31-08-2021, 08:05 AM
Yeah, frozen dough is always hella sticky.

Bread machine to make the dough is the way to go then a couple of prooves, one as the big mass, one in ball portions. The longer the second prove the easier it is to work (within limits). Overnight/very long proving is a waste of time.

Use good flour. Not 00 from the supermarket. Obviously the Caputo is the gold standard but there used to be a few cheaper alternatives you could get off amazon which I found were pretty good.

niko_cee
31-08-2021, 08:24 AM
In other food news I went to The Hand and Flowers at the weekend. Saturday night a la carte definitely not the most cost effective way to take that place on, but it was good nonetheless.

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 09:22 AM
One other pizza making thing; one of those IR thermometers is really useful. I thought I was probably up to temperature the other day and checked the stone - was only at like 250 degrees when it wants to be 400+. Only took a few more minutes to come up, but worth knowing rather than guessing.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 09:30 AM
Yeah, frozen dough is always hella sticky.

Bread machine to make the dough is the way to go then a couple of prooves, one as the big mass, one in ball portions. The longer the second prove the easier it is to work (within limits). Overnight/very long proving is a waste of time.

Use good flour. Not 00 from the supermarket. Obviously the Caputo is the gold standard but there used to be a few cheaper alternatives you could get off amazon which I found were pretty good.

The bread machine is how I do mine. Saves so much time. Plus you can knock it back in the container a few times.

I've got the gas attachment for my ooni. As a family of 4 using the wood pellets meant the fire would go out after 2 pizzas and was a pain in the arse.

Cooking steaks in it is also a game changer.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 09:34 AM
This shall be my next purchase.

https://www.igneuswoodfiredovens.com/igneus-bambino-pizza-oven/

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 09:35 AM
The bread machine is how I do mine. Saves so much time. Plus you can knock it back in the container a few times.

I've got the gas attachment for my ooni. As a family of 4 using the wood pellets meant the fire would go out after 2 pizzas and was a pain in the arse.

Cooking steaks in it is also a game changer.

Huh? You can just top them up as you go.

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 09:36 AM
I also EASILY cooked 4 pizzas on one hopper of pellets the other day.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 10:28 AM
You must some kind of legend.

I find that the burnt pellets block the funnel after a whilewl which restrict the air flow which puts the fire out. Do you pre-prep all pizzas so they all go in at the same time'ish? Or prep one cook one, then repeat. The latter is more time consuming but you need to get it on the paddle before adding toppings, etc.

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 10:31 AM
Prep one, cook one. I've had no problems with the fire going out. It burns well until it uses all the pellets up which I've put in.

What pellets are you using? Mine aren't the official ooni ones but they leave virtually no ash at all.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Prep one, cook one. I've had no problems with the fire going out. It burns well until it uses all the pellets up which I've put in.

What pellets are you using? Mine aren't the official ooni ones but they leave virtually no ash at all.

I've been using old discarded car tyres. Seem to burn longer.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Ooni pellets I be using. The gas attachment is useful, albeit it melts the plastic dial if left on too long, which is a bit of a design floor.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Which ooni do you have?

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Fyra 12

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Yeah you have a posh newer version, mine is a few years old now and is the older model. Perhaps they've improved the pellet funnel.

Boydy
31-08-2021, 12:20 PM
How often are you lot making pizza at home?

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 12:24 PM
About once a week since we've got this.

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 12:46 PM
Was doing it fortnightly over the summer months but will revert back to once a month now.

Wife hates it due to the mess and effort it takes. And by 'it' I mean 'me'.

randomlegend
31-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Having the outdoor "kitchen" thing really helps with that since I make all the mess outside.

Raoul Duke
31-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Ooni pellets I be using. The gas attachment is useful, albeit it melts the plastic dial if left on too long, which is a bit of a design floor.

Just wanted to capture this one as it's good, but subtle

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Fuck!

Kikó
31-08-2021, 06:44 PM
From the maker of peddle stool, the sequel they'd all been waiting for...

Dquincy
31-08-2021, 08:14 PM
From the maker of peddle stool, the sequel they'd all been waiting for...

You guys manage to hurt me in new ways every time I visit here. Upsetting.

Don
29-09-2021, 07:10 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/29/cocktail-pesticides-almost-all-oranges-grapes-uk-study

I think this might send me full organic now. It was a creeping idea but I'd only really bothered on eggs and apples so far for unknown reasons.

Baz
16-10-2021, 09:00 AM
Can’t get enough of these (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302319127).

https://digitalcontent.api.tesco.com/v2/media/ghs/91acccf8-c596-42d0-9ef7-5fc9e168495a/snapshotimagehandler_58075842.jpeg?h=540&w=540

Baz
29-10-2021, 05:20 PM
1 pizza from Papa Johns for £16.99 or 2 from Dominos for £17.99. Easy decision.

Giggles
29-10-2021, 05:23 PM
2 from aldi, €3.98.

Baz
29-10-2021, 05:27 PM
2 from aldi, €3.98.

Involves using an oven and washing trays.

Giggles
29-10-2021, 05:37 PM
I wish I could charge something similar for my time.

Spikey M
29-10-2021, 05:45 PM
Involves using an oven and washing trays.

Put it straight on the oven shelf you deviant.

Foe
29-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Pizza tray, surely.

Scientific fact that they don’t need washed too.

Giggles
29-10-2021, 05:51 PM
With the aldi ones there’s fuck all fear of drips anyway.

Giggles
29-10-2021, 05:51 PM
Also yes, pizza tray.

Sir Andy Mahowry
29-10-2021, 05:55 PM
Aren't pizza trays actually completely pointless?

Largely because your normal oven doesn't get hot enough for them to work properly and it doesn't absorb as much heat as a pizza stone which does work.

Shelf life > tray.

-james-
29-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Giggles loves a pretentious kitchen gadget.

Giggles
29-10-2021, 06:05 PM
Yes of course. And spaghetti or something.

Shindig
29-10-2021, 06:12 PM
Giggles loves a pretentious kitchen gadget.

It's not pretentious if it's used.

igor_balis
30-10-2021, 06:59 AM
From my experience, pizza trays are indeed totally pointless, and they come out basically the same or worse than just putting them straight on the shelf.

Giggles
31-10-2021, 09:16 AM
I want to get one of those machines that make the coffee through a filter into a jug as it’s taking me too long with the espresso machine in the mornings now to fill a cup and flask. I was looking at the Sage precision brewer but seeing as I’m not getting into grinding and will be buying (half decent hopefully) ground stuff I figured there’s probably better value out there for what I want. Recommend me.

Edit - from what I gather going without a hot plate and getting an insulated jug version is far better and I’m not too tied on having it programmable so long as I could have it come on and brew with a smart socket. Or is there anything better I could be doing like manual pour-over (though I gather from a mate of mine it takes ages to get right)?

Dquincy
31-10-2021, 09:27 AM
1 pizza from Papa Johns for £16.99 or 2 from Dominos for £17.99. Easy decision.

Take away pizzas (from those places) all taste the same and that flavour is garbage.

Lofty
31-10-2021, 01:19 PM
I want to get one of those machines that make the coffee through a filter into a jug as it’s taking me too long with the espresso machine in the mornings now to fill a cup and flask. I was looking at the Sage precision brewer but seeing as I’m not getting into grinding and will be buying (half decent hopefully) ground stuff I figured there’s probably better value out there for what I want. Recommend me.

Edit - from what I gather going without a hot plate and getting an insulated jug version is far better and I’m not too tied on having it programmable so long as I could have it come on and brew with a smart socket. Or is there anything better I could be doing like manual pour-over (though I gather from a mate of mine it takes ages to get right)?

The Ninja Coffee Bar is hot plate based but you can pick them up dirt cheap second hand.

Giggles
31-10-2021, 08:29 PM
I’d never trust anything second hand but I’ll look them up.

Giggles
06-11-2021, 05:42 PM
Onlyscrans beef stew is magic. I used a brown ale instead of a stout but it’s unreal.

Giggles
06-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Yeah there’s loads of spuds, :rolleyes: but that will be a regular make.

https://i.imgur.com/FM9T2k4.jpg

Kikó
06-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Great looking roasties.

I had a pretty mega Guinness burger before the game today. Bacon and cheese (the bun was decent despite it being a stupid colour)

https://i.imgur.com/beyJkQ9.jpg

Shindig
06-11-2021, 06:43 PM
Guinness? And bread!?

Ian
06-11-2021, 06:58 PM
I went here for the second time today:
https://tuktukonline.com/tuk-tuk-glasgow-menu/

It's ace. Had different stuff today than the first time and everything I've had has been delicious.

Horn Please is still the Glasgow go-to for curry stuff if you want something a bit different but this place is great.

Spikey M
06-11-2021, 07:22 PM
Yeah there’s loads of spuds, :rolleyes: but that will be a regular make.

https://i.imgur.com/FM9T2k4.jpg

Those Roasties :drool:

Great looking roasties.

I had a pretty mega Guinness burger before the game today. Bacon and cheese (the bun was decent despite it being a stupid colour)

https://i.imgur.com/beyJkQ9.jpg

That bun :sick:

Luca
07-11-2021, 01:53 AM
Those are some terrific-looking potatoes, Giggles.

I had a quite excellent Thai pork rib stew with rice noodles tonight.

https://i.ibb.co/4pjYtnr/F8-F117-C1-A7-DA-4385-8-EFA-4568-C885981-F.jpg

Giggles
07-11-2021, 06:16 AM
Those Roasties :drool:

I got Boydy down to peel them.

Giggles
07-11-2021, 06:18 AM
That looks savage Luca. What’s in the little noodle bowls?

hfswjyr
07-11-2021, 07:27 AM
Those potatoes have legitimately made my mouth water. What's the secret?

Giggles
07-11-2021, 08:36 AM
Not a thing apart from soaking them in heavily salted water for a few hours before rinsing and boiling once all the starch has sunk to the bottom.

Luca
07-11-2021, 03:51 PM
That looks savage Luca. What’s in the little noodle bowls?

Crispy fried shallots. Also included as a garnish were some crispy pork rinds.

Spikey M
07-11-2021, 03:58 PM
I've never heard of pork crackling being used as a garnish but now I never want to see any other garnish.

-james-
09-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Trying a low FODMAP diet for a while to try and figure out what exactly my gut is intolerant to. Fucking hell it's grim. Big list of forbidden fruit/veggies but the real kicker is no onion, garlic or wheat products. There's only so much potato a man can eat.

randomlegend
09-11-2021, 06:27 PM
Be funny if it turns out you're intolerant to potatoes.

niko_cee
09-11-2021, 08:26 PM
:D

Mean.

Dquincy
14-11-2021, 04:48 PM
Made some pizzas in the ooni last night. This is one of them.

https://i.ibb.co/6sHWq5v/20211113-171435.jpg (https://ibb.co/HgtH9QN)

https://i.ibb.co/0j3Rhbk/20211113-171600.jpg (https://ibb.co/MDLxM0b)

Lofty
14-11-2021, 05:54 PM
They look excellent. Are they worth the outlay?

I had a savoury duck from a butchers in Lytham yesterday, it was surprisingly alright. I prefer the southern faggot version served with gravy but the cold version wasn't as disgusting as imagined.

Dquincy
14-11-2021, 08:17 PM

I had a savoury duck from a butchers in Lytham yesterday, it was surprisingly alright. I prefer the southern faggot version served with gravy but the cold version wasn't as disgusting as imagined.

Yeah, I love it. But it does take a bit of effort making and the dough and prepping it all. When it's just 2 of you, not so bad. But now a family of 4 it can be quite a process. But I enjoy it. And of course love pizza.

randomlegend
14-11-2021, 09:22 PM

They absolutely are. The girl convinced me to get one and I was 100% convinced it was some middle-class fad thing that we'd use it once, find it a massive faff and it'd sit in the garage forever more. But it's great. Really easy to use and the pizza is fantastic.

niko_cee
15-11-2021, 02:10 PM
I can see the benefits, but that pizza doesn't look wildly different to one turned out of a conventional oven turned up to the max with a pizza steel in it.

Boydy
15-11-2021, 02:24 PM
Making your own pizza seems like a great idea until you realise how much faff making the dough is.

niko_cee
15-11-2021, 02:34 PM
Making your own pizza seems like a great idea until you realise how much faff making the dough is.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/support/discontinued-products/home-appliances/sd-zb2502.html

Ian
15-11-2021, 02:39 PM
"Compact Breadmaker with Jam Mode"

I don't think I trust a breadmaker to perform improvised music.

SvN
15-11-2021, 02:56 PM
I went to visit a friend recently who had one of these pizza ovens, and he was really keen to show it off. He made mine first and it was superb, to be honest. And the dough was a piece of piss in a breadmaker.

Then he accidentally threw his pizza in with too much force and the thing smashed against the back of it in a mess of dough, sauce and toppings :harold: Took us about half an hour to scrape it all out once it had cooled down.

Dquincy
15-11-2021, 03:43 PM

Always remember to dry your mozzarella gents. Otherwise it's just a sloppy mess.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 03:44 PM
I can see the benefits, but that pizza doesn't look wildly different to one turned out of a conventional oven turned up to the max with a pizza steel in it.

Having tried many times to make pizza in the oven with a steel I can tell you it's totally different.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 03:49 PM

The dough needs making the day before, granted, but it's minimal effort.

100% flour
65% Water
2.5% Salt
0.5-1% yeast

That's the recipe I use.
Mix it all together.
Knead for a bit.
Cover for an hour out the fridge.
Portion into balls.
In the fridge til for ~24 hours.
Bring it out the fridge 2 hours before you want to cook it.

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 03:52 PM
Your ingredients appear to total 168% chef.

Giggles
15-11-2021, 04:00 PM

Or 168.5%.

Boydy
15-11-2021, 04:04 PM
The dough needs making the day before, granted, but it's minimal effort.

100% flour
65% Water
2.5% Salt
0.5-1% yeast

That's the recipe I use.
Mix it all together.
Knead for a bit.
Cover for an hour out the fridge.
Portion into balls.
In the fridge til for ~24 hours.
Bring it out the fridge 2 hours before you want to cook it.
I've made pizza dough before. It's not what I'd call minimal effort. Nor is having to make it a day in advance.

Disco
15-11-2021, 04:04 PM
"Compact Breadmaker with Jam Mode"

I don't think I trust a breadmaker to perform improvised music.

It's all about the flour you don't put in.

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 04:12 PM
I've made pizza dough before. It's not what I'd call minimal effort. Nor is having to make it a day in advance.

We're going to need the effort required as a percentage.

Lofty
15-11-2021, 04:12 PM
I want an Ooni, I will delegate the dough faff.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 04:39 PM

Then you are a very lazy man.

randomlegend

That's how bakers percentages work. Everything else is done as a percentage of the weight of the flour. IDK why I didn't invent it.

Dquincy
The bread machine, which I use, reduces the effort (x) by 50%.

So x - 50% = y

Also I've never made the dough the day before. Balls to that, not needed.

Giggles
15-11-2021, 04:52 PM
Buy a base.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 04:59 PM
Also I've never made the dough the day before. Balls to that, not needed.

https://i.imgur.com/2YlKF1x.jpg

That's why your crust isn't lovely and puffed up like mine.

(Yes I did burn the edge of the one next door, it was my first ever attempt).

Dquincy
15-11-2021, 05:04 PM
It's pizza, not a loaf of bread mate.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Precisely, and that's how pizza crust is supposed to be. Mate.

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 05:14 PM
What, burnt?

Luca
15-11-2021, 05:18 PM
I don’t even need to fight the battles anymore, I’ve got RL who will do it for me. :drool:

G’wan lad, show ‘em.

Giggles
Precisely, and that's how pizza crust is supposed to be. Mate.

I think you'll find.....

https://www.foodchallenges.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Joseppis-Mega-Meat.jpg

The best pizza base is one you can't see. And isn't burnt.

Ian
Not burned, Spikey, well fired. (https://assets.sainsburys-groceries.co.uk/gol/7678021/1/640x640.jpg)

Lewis
15-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Randrew's looks good and Quincy's looks shit.

Disco
15-11-2021, 05:20 PM
Bollocks to the crust debate, what sort of maniac cuts their pizza like that?

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 05:21 PM
What, burnt?

It should have a bit of a char in places, yes.

Example given:

https://i.imgur.com/CUKNGgx.png

Pizza from the place who came first in the most recent world pizza awards.

Dquincy
15-11-2021, 05:24 PM
Randrew's looks good and Quincy's looks shit.

Shit hot.

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 05:24 PM
I’d never bbq for anyone, there’s too many self made experts out there to tell you what you’ve done wrong because they watched some YouTube videos.

I'd steer clear of a Pizza Oven too.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 05:25 PM
I think you'll find.....

https://www.foodchallenges.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Joseppis-Mega-Meat.jpg

The best pizza base is one you can't see. And isn't burnt.

Dirty takeaway pizza is my guilty pleasure but that looks absolutely disgusting.

Lewis
15-11-2021, 05:31 PM
I went to Pizza Pilgrims the other week and that was nice. Reasonably cheap as well for shitty gay expensive London.

Sir Andy Mahowry
15-11-2021, 05:40 PM
I'd rather have Randrew's pizza over Quince's.

Don
15-11-2021, 05:49 PM
I went to Pizza Pilgrims the other week and that was nice. Reasonably cheap as well for shitty gay expensive London.

Pizza Union is worth a visit if you want value.

Giggles
15-11-2021, 05:50 PM
I'd steer clear of a Pizza Oven too.

Same principle applies.

Pepe
15-11-2021, 06:10 PM
My pizza guy is creating a pizza named after me. :cool:

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 06:18 PM
"The Fiat 500". It's just a Margherita, but it's I'm a box 5 times too small and only hairdressers eat it.

igor_balis
15-11-2021, 07:32 PM
The incredibly cheap and lovely airbnb me and my mates stayed in by Holyrood Park had a massive pizza oven outside, but we didn't use it. Stay tuned for more excellent anecdotes.

Spikey M
15-11-2021, 07:45 PM
That one's too farfetched even for me. Stop making things up ffs.

Lewis
15-11-2021, 07:51 PM
I believe they didn't cook with it. Wacky pictures with somebody's head/torso in it. More than likely.

Lofty
15-11-2021, 08:01 PM
There were two pizza ovens at the camping stag I went to but the BBQ hut was more popular, possibly because a projector streaming the football was set up inside it.

randomlegend
15-11-2021, 08:15 PM
I have a friend who built a big brick wood-fired pizza oven in their garden. It's good but the cost of the wood to get it up to temperature every time is a bit prohibitive.

The pellets for the Ooni (mine are not the official Ooni ones so are even cheaper) cost pennies per go.

Smjffy
15-11-2021, 08:50 PM
I do not miss making pizza one bit. Especially on 2-4-1 Monday's, Monday's can go fuck itself.

I do recall concocting a song for some of them. Carne Amore will be a chart topper one day.

Dquincy
15-11-2021, 10:29 PM
I'd rather have Randrew's pizza over Quince's.
You'd eat both in one sitting.

Ian
15-11-2021, 10:41 PM
And why not? Pizza is always worth gorging on.

Dquincy
15-11-2021, 10:55 PM
No, that's Indian food.

2 pizzas is carbocide.

Lofty
21-11-2021, 10:32 AM
Chicken Salt: is it worth the hype?

phonics
21-11-2021, 09:45 PM
No idea. Celery salt however. Is.

-james-
22-11-2021, 10:59 PM
https://assets.sainsburys-groceries.co.uk/gol/7752608/1/2365x2365.jpg

Discovered this stuff recently, and it's lead me to have a stir fry for dinner about five nights of the last seven. Incredible scenes. I reckon you could just mix it through some plain noodles/rice and it would be a pretty good meal.

hfswjyr
23-11-2021, 12:33 AM
Laoganma is basically the chinese equivalent to korean kimchi or maybe mayo/ketchup in western places. Basically it can go with anything.

Luca
23-11-2021, 05:33 AM
Oh, yeah, laoganma is the tits. They make a peanut version which is equally exceptional.

Giggles
23-11-2021, 05:44 AM
What it’s it? Some sort of stinking fermented thing or just a sauce?

hfswjyr
23-11-2021, 09:01 AM
It says on the tin. Preserved black bean in chili oil. It's cheap as chips as well.

Jimmy Floyd
23-11-2021, 09:03 AM
If and when the Chinese do take over the world and enslave us all, it will largely be down to their preponderance for eating black beans. I don't know a better foodstuff.

hfswjyr
24-11-2021, 12:02 AM
Was it delicious?

Pepe
24-11-2021, 12:48 AM
We eat way more black beans than the fucking Chinese.

Black beans. :drool:

Baz
28-11-2021, 08:42 AM
I had a venison and cranberry burger in Ambleside last night and it was probably the best burger I’ve ever had.

Giggles
03-12-2021, 09:35 PM
Iceland hash brown waffles. Why did nobody notify me of these before?

Boydy
03-12-2021, 09:41 PM
Isn't that just like a potato waffle?

Giggles
03-12-2021, 09:44 PM
No, but they have those too though.

Ian
08-12-2021, 09:33 AM
https://i.ibb.co/QDW6kpS/image.png

Crisped up some belly pork last night. First time I've cooked it for myself. Ludicrously tasty for so little effort.

Spikey M
08-12-2021, 09:37 AM
:drool:

Shindig
08-12-2021, 10:26 AM
Top work.

Jimmy Floyd
08-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Pork belly is the food of the gods, especially when done like that.

Don
08-12-2021, 11:23 AM
The missus brought some of this homemade stuff back from Russia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

Incredible stuff. Gammon redemption.

Andy
08-12-2021, 12:31 PM
There's a banging Gordon Ramsey pork belly recipe where you slow cook the meat in a braising liquid but leave the skin exposed to get the crackling which is absolutely banging.

I've got a whole pork belly in my freezer which I'm going to roll up with a load of herbs and cook it on my rotisserie as a Porchetta, be looking forward to that cook for a while.

It's got to be the best value for money cut of meat going when cooked properly.

Pork belly burnt ends on the BBQ are a winner as well once grilling season is back.

Shindig
08-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I'll be probably getting a joint or some pork belly for Christmas.

Luca
09-12-2021, 03:22 AM
The missus brought some of this homemade stuff back from Russia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

Incredible stuff. Gammon redemption.

Astagfirullah.

Giggles
09-12-2021, 09:14 PM

Shindig
09-12-2021, 09:28 PM
"I almost didn't finish it."

Spikey M
09-12-2021, 09:51 PM
Going to a place like that and moaning that it was weird is like going to a brewery and complaining that it stank of beer.

randomlegend
09-12-2021, 09:53 PM

Expected it to be Mugaritz.

Giggles
09-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Going to a place like that and moaning that it was weird is like going to a brewery and complaining that it stank of beer.

It sounds like what I basically think all MS restaurants are like.

Spikey M
09-12-2021, 10:01 PM

MS Restaurants?

Giggles
09-12-2021, 10:02 PM
MS Restaurants?

That was quite lazy of me. Michelin Star.

randomlegend
09-12-2021, 10:03 PM

They aren't. We went to restaurant Nathan Outlaw before he closed it (which had two stars) and it was 4 good-sized courses of just insanely good food + bread and snacks. The fish course was literally a big old piece of fish, sauce and a few veg and was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Disco
09-12-2021, 10:06 PM
As soon as Heston Blumenthal was allowed to get away with his shit I think we all lost the right to complain if we go to these places and they serve cum porridge and twigs or whatever.

randomlegend
09-12-2021, 10:14 PM
As soon as Heston Blumenthal was allowed to get away with his shit I think we all lost the right to complain if we go to these places and they serve cum porridge and twigs or whatever.

El Bulli was doing it before Heston.

Disco
09-12-2021, 10:18 PM
Stop ruining my narrative.

Spikey M
09-12-2021, 10:19 PM
That was quite lazy of me. Michelin Star.

Ahhh. Yeah, pretty much. The closest I've been was to an Atul Kochhar restaurant on our Honeymoon cruise, but a curry is a curry, no matter how many unnecessary bowls it comes in.

I'd rather eat road kill then go through a Heston Blumenthal affair.

Giggles
09-12-2021, 10:31 PM
You’d probably get road kill at a Heston Blumenthal affair.

Ian
09-12-2021, 10:32 PM
He'd probably serve you some roadkill to be fair, barbecued over burning shoes for a month and then stuffed with lemon mousse and old N64 controllers.

Edit: see, you fart about trying to make a joke more bantsy and you get beaten to the punch.

You win this round, Giggles.

Giggles
09-12-2021, 10:40 PM
I liked your imagery better.

Spikey M
09-12-2021, 10:46 PM
It's good, but it needs a Jus made from the break fluid of the Audi that killed it.

randomlegend
09-12-2021, 10:49 PM
Sounding like something from Slaughter's.

I'd 100% go to the Fat Duck if someone else was paying. I'd happily pay myself to go to Dinner.

Giggles
10-12-2021, 07:27 AM
I think I'd rather go to a Toby.

niko_cee
10-12-2021, 08:00 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with Dinner if that's the one in the Mandarin Oriental [or whatever that hotel is now known as].

Lofty
16-12-2021, 08:10 PM
On the recommendation of this thread I bought Laoganma, now what? Just stir it into a stir fry?

Giggles
16-12-2021, 08:12 PM
Give me stuffing recipes. Nothing weird.

Ian
16-12-2021, 08:40 PM
On the recommendation of this thread i bought Laoganma, now what?

"Tell me what i just bought you cowards!"

-james-
16-12-2021, 08:53 PM
Did you get the black bean in chilli oil one? There are a few but that's the main one I know. It's good on anything you'd have rice with I'd say, stir fries etc. Mix it into a marinade/sauce and/or just dollop it over at the end. Also fantastic on a fried egg.

randomlegend
16-12-2021, 09:03 PM
Made bao again tonight. They really are so fucking good.

Lofty
16-12-2021, 10:19 PM
Did you get the black bean in chilli oil one? There are a few but that's the main one I know. It's good on anything you'd have rice with I'd say, stir fries etc. Mix it into a marinade/sauce and/or just dollop it over at the end. Also fantastic on a fried egg.

That is the one, I will report my findings.

Pepe
17-12-2021, 06:27 PM
This trip to France has been a complete nightmare, but the food is quite excellent.

Pen
17-12-2021, 08:15 PM
Is everything closed or you just not enjoying it?

Giggles
17-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Is everything closed or you just not enjoying it?

It’s France [/JIMMY]