PDA

View Full Version : The Music Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Shindig
25-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Steady on. I like Bossanova quite a bit but Doolittle's a work of art.

Serj
25-09-2022, 08:05 PM
I've recently rediscovered Surfer Rosa and I'd say that's their best, only just beating out Doolittle. There's this manic intensity and punk(-ish) energy to songs like Something Against You, River Euphrates or Oh my Golly! that I really love. Not a bad album among their first four, though.

Baz
30-09-2022, 12:32 AM
New Slipknot album lesssgooooo

-james-
30-09-2022, 09:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVXiXK-s9cI

This is pretty blah isn't it? The other single doesn't do much for me either

I did say the same about the last album though and there's still bits of that I go back to.

igor_balis
30-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Blah like everything they did after the first album :dc:

Raoul Duke
30-09-2022, 10:51 AM
I quite liked the last album, and this sort of feels like a similar kind of thing. AM is one of my all time faves though.

It's sort of annoying that they're trying to be a 60's LA lounge bar band instead of just writing the songs I want them too, in a kind of Radiohead way where they disappeared into tedious dance wibbling rather than just writing The Bends Pt. II

Alex
30-09-2022, 12:26 PM
I really like that. Tranquility Base is my favourite Monkey's album to date though, so I'm all for them continuing with some variation on that direction.

Ben
30-09-2022, 12:27 PM
I feel like the last two albums are just what Alex Turner wants to do so they're only Arctic Monkeys in name for the publicity boost.

Manc
30-09-2022, 12:49 PM
If we're all honest with ourselves it's total bollocks.

CJay
07-10-2022, 10:26 AM
New Will Sheff / Okkervil River out today. Very promising on first listen. Here are the highlights for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62Bel8QTdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRsoa8AIzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQcoxvYbsnk

Baz
06-11-2022, 05:54 AM
Powfu covering Taylor Swift is something I didn't know I needed to hear so much. What a lad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pRxZoW59mw

Also I hadn't seen CJ's post but I've listened to Black Sheep Boy about four times this week. Weird.

CJay
06-11-2022, 07:59 AM
It’s an all-time great album. Didn’t have you as someone who would listen to Okkervil River though. Not sure why.

Serj
07-11-2022, 07:37 AM
Low's Mimi Parker is dead. :(

As good a time as any to dive deeper into their catalog, I only know the debut/Things We Lost in the Fire/Hey What.

Ben
07-11-2022, 12:17 PM
I feel like the last two albums are just what Alex Turner wants to do so they're only Arctic Monkeys in name for the publicity boost.

I stand by this but the new album is actually pretty tremendous. If you can separate it from the perception of what you think the Arctic Monkeys are, or should be, and just appreciate the music, it's excellent. Really polished music all round, which I suppose was the problem with the previous album in that they wanted to go this new direction but didn't have it all nailed down.

Alex
07-11-2022, 01:26 PM
Low's Mimi Parker is dead. :(

As good a time as any to dive deeper into their catalog, I only know the debut/Things We Lost in the Fire/Hey What.

Very sad. I was going to see them in the summer but they had to withdraw because of her treatment, they put quite a positive spin on it at the time (I mean I guess you always would though, wouldn't you) so I was hoping she would recover.

I can't claim to be the most knowledgable about them. I think I own maybe two or three on record and have sort of dabbled in the discography overall which, as you point out, is very deep. Seemed to be one of those bands that effortlessly managed to maintain relevance and quality over a very long career.

Alex
07-11-2022, 04:37 PM
I stand by this but the new album is actually pretty tremendous. If you can separate it from the perception of what you think the Arctic Monkeys are, or should be, and just appreciate the music, it's excellent. Really polished music all round, which I suppose was the problem with the previous album in that they wanted to go this new direction but didn't have it all nailed down.

I think you've summed it up well here. I really love their recent work but I do agree it's sort of about putting their work as a band prior to it almost behind you, and just appreciating Turner's surprising u-turn into one of the preeminent crooners of his generation.

The only thing I disagree on is I think it arrived fully-formed and brilliant on the last album. The two records together make a great pair. And, to be fair to him, I do think he has let the band "back in" a bit more on this one.

CJay
08-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Very sad. I was going to see them in the summer but they had to withdraw because of her treatment, they put quite a positive spin on it at the time (I mean I guess you always would though, wouldn't you) so I was hoping she would recover.

I can't claim to be the most knowledgable about them. I think I own maybe two or three on record and have sort of dabbled in the discography overall which, as you point out, is very deep. Seemed to be one of those bands that effortlessly managed to maintain relevance and quality over a very long career.

Their new stuff is Quite Excellent. Put this in your ears when you're out for a walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QiSZRX8dA

igor_balis
17-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Having to nominate my three fave tracks of 2022 for our yearly thing we do, where we all rate them and discuss em in a big boozy evening.

I'm struggling this year lads. Currently going with the new April base version of 4th of July by sufjan which feels a bit borderline in acceptability, after the earthquake by alvvays and then I've loads of maybes. Pencilled in currently is fucking action bronson. Any great songs of the year I should check out bois?

Manc
17-12-2022, 11:11 PM
How do you rate Blue Rev? Very much on my to do list.

Bernanke
17-12-2022, 11:28 PM
It's been an incredibly mid year overall. Couple of 7-8/10 records like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rosalia, Pusha T, Vince Staples, Big Thief (probably the best of the lot).

Little Simz drop this week is a sneaky late contender, with some of my favourite tracks of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6v3VWn7G0&ab_channel=LittleSimz-Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYlYaVvskJQ&ab_channel=LittleSimz

This is the best one on the Big Thief record, but I think it technically dropped in 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0dXT-v-vY&ab_channel=BigThief

Jimmy Floyd
17-12-2022, 11:45 PM
They played Little Things when I saw them live, and at the end of the song she said it was shit and they never get it right on stage. Had to disagree with her on that. It's a super track, simultaneously energetic and chilled.

Bernanke
17-12-2022, 11:50 PM
Yeah I noticed before seeing them at Prima that they very rarely played it live.

hfswjyr
18-12-2022, 02:58 AM
Saw them Friday last week, and I've just checked the setlist for Friday vs Saturday, and feel a bit gutted to see I missed out on Paul and Mary which they played Saturday but not Friday. They didn't play Little Things on either night.

Either way, I only know them from a post in this thread somewhere 3 or 4 years ago, so thanks whoever that was.
In fact, I had held onto those gig tickets for about 3 years (2x COVID cancellations). Great to have live music back.

CJay
18-12-2022, 04:01 AM
Having to nominate my three fave tracks of 2022 for our yearly thing we do, where we all rate them and discuss em in a big boozy evening.

I'm struggling this year lads. Currently going with the new April base version of 4th of July by sufjan which feels a bit borderline in acceptability, after the earthquake by alvvays and then I've loads of maybes. Pencilled in currently is fucking action bronson. Any great songs of the year I should check out bois?

Did you listen to Arcade Fire’s album? Bit meh overall, but The Lightning (I & II really should be taken as one track) and Unconditional (Lookout Kid) are brilliant.

Will always plug Okkervil River of course. The Spiral Season is a great track.

I was really into Do It For Your Country by Belle & Sebastian earlier in the year.

Dried Roses, Change and Spud Infinity were my favourite Big Thief tracks.

Hot Chip - Broken is my left field choice. Or maybe that’s not really left field.

Phoebe Bridgers just released a new song called So Much Wine. It’s lovely.

Some of that is a bit barrel-scrapey so yeah poor year. Sorry for that lack of links.

-james-
18-12-2022, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DrcgZdnTNY

Punk not usually my bag but I think this is my SOTY/AOTY.

Baz
18-12-2022, 12:16 PM
Song of the year is Numb Little Bug.

Alex
24-12-2022, 06:39 PM
I know I'm a bit late at the advanced age of 35 but after mostly (for no real reason) ignoring them for my entire life I've got really into Pink Floyd recent. I mean really, too. I'm not listening to a lot else. I've just been collecting the catalogue in chronological order over the last month or so.

I'm up to Animals, which I stuck on the turntable early this afternoon and have just been flipping over and back since. I think I've listened to it six times in a row. Not a particularly festive listen I guess, but there you go. What a record.

Shindig
24-12-2022, 07:19 PM
I thought I only had a few gaps in their discography but I've missed a ton of their stuff. I forget how much faffing about they did during the psychedelia age. And the hanging around they did long after their peak.

Baz
24-12-2022, 09:20 PM
I saw someone compared Harry Styles to Pink Floyd on Twitter.

Giggles
25-12-2022, 08:15 AM
Doesn’t get any better than Animals.

Clunge
25-12-2022, 08:45 AM
Wish You Were Here (the album) just, but only just, pips Animals for me. Neck and neck for best Floyd album.

Shindig
25-12-2022, 10:13 AM
I'll be the boring bastard that says Dark Side of the Moon, although that and Wish You Were Here go hand in hand.

Alex
25-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Doesn’t get any better than Animals.

I'm definitely leaning towards this. It's just got a great "mood" to it the whole way through. They obviously like extended ideas/motifs and albums that work as an entire piece and it just seems to be the pinnacle of that.

Wish You Were Here (the album) just, but only just, pips Animals for me. Neck and neck for best Floyd album.

I'll be the boring bastard that says Dark Side of the Moon, although that and Wish You Were Here go hand in hand.

The step up when they arrived at Dark Side is remarkable. I mean there was good stuff before, don't get me wrong. Meddle in particular. But Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals is just an astoundingly good three album run to put out. Relatively far into your career too, to just arrive at this new, fully formed sound and start churning out work at that level is pretty remarkable. It's hard to split them.

Baz
03-01-2023, 07:13 PM
Anyone like Oliver Tree?

Certainly seems like a future wrongun (I saw something today saying he was born the day after GG Allin died, if you’re into that sort of nonsense) but his music kept me entertained in the car today.

Shindig
08-01-2023, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oponIfu5L3Y

Good song, nice house, good video, terrible miscarriage of justice.

Raoul Duke
07-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Baz - assume you know all about this (https://pitchfork.com/features/article/the-untold-story-of-elliott-smiths-teenage-band), but it was news to me and worth a read if you're an Elliot Smith fan

Baz
08-03-2023, 02:28 AM
Absolutely. Obviously I’m very biased but his high school bands’ discography is better than most professional musicians.

igor_balis
22-03-2023, 10:45 PM
just randomly remembered the Chris Morris song parodies, they're great fun. I like how they don't follow the weird Al model of reworking a song with different lyrics, but instead are pretty convincing pastiche/mish mash. the effort into getting the sound right is well impressive considering they're just throw away things made for some radio show.

https://youtu.be/8t9w-I4uBYo

https://youtu.be/mTZ0hYlto7Q

Shindig
22-03-2023, 11:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YATo-wHTA2Q

Clearly not legit but fair play to someone trying to piece a full track together. :D (It's Fur Q. Thanks, youtube)

igor_balis
22-03-2023, 11:25 PM
You have to kill people to have respect for people

Baz
24-03-2023, 10:53 PM
Is it acceptable to go to gigs on your own? :cab:

Specifically, Powfu in Manchester in October, where I’d likely be the oldest person in the room by at least ten years.

Offshore Toon
24-03-2023, 11:14 PM
Totally unacceptable imo and I'm surprised there hasn't been legislation brought in yet to prevent it.

Bernanke
16-04-2023, 10:09 AM
The Jai Paul set was amazing. I can't believe he actually came through.

-james-
21-04-2023, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_R4T3MqpE&t=2856s

Sick rendition of Scientist here @ 51ish mins. Seething to have missed out on tickets for the Glasgow date next week (again).

Offshore Toon
21-04-2023, 02:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQNpBDkBWU

Gray Fox
24-05-2023, 07:44 PM
It's been out for a few days now, but the new Sleep Token album really is very good.

igor_balis
24-05-2023, 09:54 PM
I know I'm a bit late at the advanced age of 35 but after mostly (for no real reason) ignoring them for my entire life I've got really into Pink Floyd recent. I mean really, too. I'm not listening to a lot else. I've just been collecting the catalogue in chronological order over the last month or so.

I'm up to Animals, which I stuck on the turntable early this afternoon and have just been flipping over and back since. I think I've listened to it six times in a row. Not a particularly festive listen I guess, but there you go. What a record.

I know it's a bit of a delayed reply, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up doing this. I've not been actively avoiding them, but I think part of me knows when I properly delve I'll be obsessed for a few months, so I've sort of been putting it off. I really got into Porcupine Tree and selected in absentia at album club, and one of my mates was like "it's just Pink Floyd but not as good", which sort of stung but I'm pretty sure I'll end up agreeing.

Shindig
24-05-2023, 10:07 PM
I would've probably never got into Pink Floyd if it wasn't for the old board.

igor_balis
24-05-2023, 10:10 PM
I would've probably never got into Pink Floyd if it wasn't for the old board.

I think the reason I haven't so far is partly just timing. Plenty of stuff my dad made me listen to when he was pissed and I was a lad I bloody loved, like What's Going On, and the Waterboys, and even fucking Big Audio Dynamite, but I think he made me listen to Wish You Were Here when I was just a bit too young to get it. Turn this boring old bastard music off Mick, I want to listen to a proper band like Dirty Pretty Things. Oops. Oh well.

Jimmy Floyd
24-05-2023, 10:19 PM
I can appreciate Floyd but I've never really loved it. Little bit on the nose. I also have a real blind spot for rock guitar solos, especially the massive churning ones beloved of Gilmour. I just put Animals on after the post above, 2.5 minutes in here comes Dave again and we're done.

igor_balis
24-05-2023, 10:41 PM
Bit of an indie dweeb cliche, but my favourite guitar solos are the Dinosaur Jr ones, melodic but also feels like J Mascis is basically just assaulting his guitar. 10/10

Giggles
25-05-2023, 03:13 AM
Greatest band of them all.

Offshore Toon
25-05-2023, 05:52 AM
My dad loved em so I got into them very early. I actually listened to Dirty Pretty Things the other day too as Gin & Milk popped into my head. You could have done both. :dc:

Ben
25-05-2023, 06:03 AM
I'm the same. My dad was a huge fan. As a result, my taste in music is Floyd, Stones, Zappa, Beefheart and then what I grew into myself which is 90's trance. Always a bit jarring for people who are in my car when Spotify is on shuffle.

Raoul Duke
25-05-2023, 06:43 AM
I should probably re-try Pink Floyd. Tried a bit about 20 years ago and absolutely hated it, but worth another spin.

Clunge
25-05-2023, 06:48 AM
Bit of an indie dweeb cliche, but my favourite guitar solos are the Dinosaur Jr ones, melodic but also feels like J Mascis is basically just assaulting his guitar. 10/10
I saw them for the first time at Glastonbury in 2013. I knew about them, and had an inkling I'd like them, but I don't think I'd ever actually heard any of their music before they came on stage. They opened with The Lung and once they'd dispensed with the first couple of verses and choruses, I absolutely lost my shit when J Mascis started soloing like no one I'd ever heard before. It remains to this day just about the most enraptured I've been at any gig ever. I just love how unassuming their songs are – sweet pop song, sweet pop song, sweet pop song, Earth shattering solo for two minutes, back to sweet pop song. Etc.

Baz
25-05-2023, 07:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvkEMlqda8

Giggles
25-05-2023, 11:24 AM
I should probably re-try Pink Floyd. Tried a bit about 20 years ago and absolutely hated it, but worth another spin.

If you listen to nothing else, listen to Animals.

Alex
25-05-2023, 07:00 PM

Mascis is the man. Definitely up there with my favourite guitar players. Top five for sure. I love that era of guitar music especially.

I'm pretty sure Mascis himself must be an actual savant of some description. You only need to see a few seconds of any interview with him to establish he's definitely somewhere on the spectrum. I could absolutely picture him picking up a guitar as a child, getting the grips with it a little bit and then just knowing how to do that.

Amusingly I'm sure he's on record more than once as saying he much prefers playing the drums. And during the period where Dinosaur Jr was basically just him playing everything in the studio the drums were noticeably better too. :D

Alex
25-05-2023, 07:07 PM
If you listen to nothing else, listen to Animals.

I was always back and forth between Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals when I was in that massive Floyd phase. And still am really. Animals is probably the one that fits together as a whole the best though. I think it's Waters' best overall "concept album" (and God knows he loves them) in terms of it all slotting together.

Pigs is such a tune too. The fucking talk box bit. :cool:

The Wall is the most overrated. I'm not saying it's not good, it's great. But it's not on that top level for me. Most underrated is Division Bell for sure! I would have really enjoyed more of that Gilmour-era Floyd.

Ben
25-05-2023, 07:09 PM
Wish You Were Here for me.

Alex
25-05-2023, 07:10 PM
On a sort of related note igor_balis your bumping of that Floyd post has prompted me, in turn, to start listening to Porcupine Tree, who are another band I've never delved into whatsoever. I haven't yet got past "Up the Downstair" because I've had it on repeat for most of the day. Cracking album.

Giggles
25-05-2023, 07:22 PM
I was always back and forth between Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals when I was in that massive Floyd phase. And still am really. Animals is probably the one that fits together as a whole the best though. I think it's Waters' best overall "concept album" (and God knows he loves them) in terms of it all slotting together.

Pigs is such a tune too. The fucking talk box bit. :cool:

The Wall is the most overrated. I'm not saying it's not good, it's great. But it's not on that top level for me. Most underrated is Division Bell for sure! I would have really enjoyed more of that Gilmour-era Floyd.

Pigs is class but for me Dogs is the single greatest thing they ever did.
Some of the wall is fantastic but there's a good bit of filler wank in there. My most underrated is the final cut, but I was always more of a Waters fan. Obscured by clouds is excellent too.

Alex
25-05-2023, 07:33 PM
I'm probably more a Gimour man than Waters (if I had to pick) but obviously appreciate the need for both! You ever seen him (Waters) live Giggles? I'm going soon. Week after next, I think.

He will probably just play that solo re-working of Dark Side of the Moon he has been threatening front to back or something. :D

Giggles
25-05-2023, 07:53 PM
Yeah seen him twice. Amused to Death and some later one I can't remember the name of. I love his solo stuff too so they were class.

Offshore Toon
25-05-2023, 08:36 PM
I saw Waters do The Wall about 2012/13. Amazing gig.

Alex
25-05-2023, 08:58 PM
Yeah seen him twice. Amused to Death and some later one I can't remember the name of. I love his solo stuff too so they were class.

It looks like he goes very Floyd heavy on the current tour but I could do to explore his solo stuff a bit more. I've only really given Amused to Death any real play, which was pretty good. He definitely seems to have the most significant solo career out of them all.

Jimmy Floyd
25-05-2023, 10:28 PM
There was a review of his show in Germany doing the rounds on twitter earlier which made it sound like a Nuremberg Rally.

Alex
08-06-2023, 02:09 PM
He was good. The stage show itself was impressive and he played a good mix of stuff. "Wish You Were Here" live was pretty special. "Have a Cigar" was another personal highlight, I fucking love that song.

He does like a rant though. He had a right pop at Gilmour's wife (who called him an anti-semite earlier in the year on Twitter apparently) which ended with him saying "imagine waking up next to that every morning". Fair to say him and David are probably never reconciling this time. :D

Manc
08-06-2023, 09:09 PM
https://youtu.be/FlJQudt_OtU

That Drake verse is horrendous.

Don
08-06-2023, 09:11 PM
The whole thing is. Don't get me wrong, I'll be vibing to it all amongst my London bredders but what a fucking state of affairs music is in.

Offshore Toon
08-06-2023, 09:20 PM
Drake sounds instantly horrendous there. His voice is so grating.

J Hus just shouldn't collaborate with big artists. His song with Skepta was meh too but everything he touches is usually gold. Last week's single was classic Hus.

-james-
10-07-2023, 11:29 AM
https://open.spotify.com/album/1SEJPTGjfEsCvNLAZ0BWff?si=_Xrc3OxlQ0mPsJnQWWGbLw

Just seen this from last year, BODEGA release of the same song in nine different languages. A bit boring that they're mostly samey romance/germanic ones but still quite a funny idea. Pronounciation on the Greek one is pretty bang on apart from the accent of someone who's clearly never spoken a word of Greek before.

Alex
10-07-2023, 08:25 PM
I'm seeing them in a few weeks I think. Good band. Massive "New York hipster" vibes but a couple of solid albums behind them. "Jack in Titanic" is an absolute tune and a half.

Baz
15-07-2023, 06:42 PM
I know one day it will stop happening, but it absolutely amazes me that nearly twenty years after his death, new Elliott Smith stuff is still being unearthed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elliottsmith/comments/14zzre3/heatmiser_wake_1992/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=2&utm_term=1

Someone who had Heatmiser at their wedding found the tape from 1992. Even Neil Gust (the other singer) has commented asking for a full version of it, that’s how rare this is!

SvN
15-07-2023, 08:29 PM
Elliott's brilliance is lost on these plebs, Baz.

Serj
18-07-2023, 07:19 AM
Since I've always felt there's a lot of music from the past I should know/I would like, I've been doing a little listening project and have been setting aside days (mostly using home office days) to listen to several albums released in a specific year, starting with 1970. I'm pulling albums from Scaruffi's (https://www.scaruffi.com/music/best100.html) (for the pretentious stuff), Christgau's (https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/index.php) (for the more traditional rock and hip-hop) and rateyourmusic's (https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1970s/) best of the year lists. Which albums I choose is somewhat random, mostly I just look up if it's available on Spotify and then listen to around 5 albums per year.

I've arrived at 1980, favorite discoveries so far:
Aphrodite's Child - 666 (bloated, pretentious and sometimes just weird psychedelic rock, but despite all that just a lot of fun)
John Fahey - America (possibly some of the most beautiful instrumental music I've ever heard)
The Roches - self-titled (extremely charming and catchy folk-rock)

I'm also quite liking John Cale and Brian Eno, though I tend to only go back to specific songs with them rather than entire albums.

Offshore Toon
03-08-2023, 12:47 PM
https://youtu.be/WjL6BHvg9m0

I've got a decent little list of drill crossovers into house/techno and it might be the best thing of all time. Afro themed anything is top drawer at the moment too.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4fFlSfLit3EOLfGJf79rNO?si=MuX5eFnNT8SyAyJuS4E9gQ

Somehow not on YouTube but Hagan - Welcome to Ghana.

-james-
03-08-2023, 08:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhqpQiXnFx0

Lovely stuff.

-james-
03-08-2023, 08:34 PM
Maybe lovely isn't the word. Good stuff.

-james-
17-08-2023, 03:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6MCcaFMEo

This is so good lol. Everything pops.

Offshore Toon
17-08-2023, 06:37 PM
Dua. :cool:

Baz
05-09-2023, 11:46 PM
I appreciate that I'm about 20 years too old for it, but I fucking love Sueco.

You may be familiar with his ten second "feature" as Sueco The Child on the Sonic 2 movie song, but I like screaming along in the car to lots of his songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCIXjA1qy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvyZ6PEjghQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vqSgeGfZVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3iWidBdQsU

:happycry:

Baz
07-10-2023, 10:58 AM
Powfu in Manchester in OctoberWas excellent. Literally stood next to me in the crowd during deathbed. :)

CJay
12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
I've recently discovered a band called Hop Along. It's excellent indie rock with a really unique sounding lead vocalist. Think Built to Spill in terms of sound but with less straightforward melodies. These are a couple of highlights for me, but really every one of their albums is a banger with very few lowlights. Last track here is from her solo album. Dare you to listen to One That Suits Me and not end up with the chorus in your head all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA7o7we2qWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-uvMjx0-zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ValhV8NprU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNcyzoetSg

When she hits those screeches. :drool:

CJay
12-10-2023, 10:45 AM
Also, listen to Javelin by Sufjan Stevens. It's a modern classic.

Alex
20-10-2023, 04:39 PM
Also, listen to Javelin by Sufjan Stevens. It's a modern classic.

Up there with his very best I would say, which is saying something. He's had a rough old time of it lately buy the sound of it, but it's certainly inspired some very strong music.

If we talk "regular" studio albums (discounting the electronic experiments etc, which I have nothing against) has he ever really missed? A Sun Came is noticeably a step down from everything that came after it I suppose. But from then on everything is excellent.

Alex
20-10-2023, 04:52 PM
On a totally unrelated note, I have gotten really into Blur lately. Fuck knows why, it just happened. As daft as it sounds it very much passed me by at the time. Obviously as a card carrying northerner I was very much team Oasis.

I mean I'm aware of the hits, obviously. I wasn't living under a rock. They were inescapable. But I have only recently made the effort the go through the albums. I think it was them releasing a new one (which I thought was decent) that prompted it. Such an interesting band.

Later Blur is certainly my favourite and I would maintain that early Blur can still be a bit annoying in places. Although also very, very good in places too. There was still a lot of very strong work. I'm not knocking those albums. But they were just leaning a bit hard into the "cheeky cockney chappies" thing in places and I think were almost verging on self-parody by the end of that phase, which I think maybe they themselves realised.

Once they ditched this and went went all moody and alternative they were absolutely mint. Blur, 13 and Think Tank is a very strong, very cool trilogy of albums.

I watched the documentary (No Distance Left to Run) and I really like their whole dynamic. Obviously Albarn will always be the main man I guess, but Graham Coxon is a very fascinating (and very talented) character.

Jimmy Floyd
20-10-2023, 05:19 PM
This Is A Low is probably in my top 50 songs, especially if you were to limit it to one per artist (there's one for the xmas break). Like you I can do without the awright awright stuff which was rightly left in the mid 90s.

Shindig
20-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I like the early stuff but it's definitely too 90's for comfort. What even is a Quango, Damon?

Alex
20-10-2023, 06:45 PM
This Is A Low is probably in my top 50 songs, especially if you were to limit it to one per artist (there's one for the xmas break). Like you I can do without the awright awright stuff which was rightly left in the mid 90s.

Definitely a thread that needs creating. Or we'll do it here. That would be interesting.

And yes, belting stuff. The "laddish" stuff did have it's place I suppose, don't get me wrong. But they definitely broke away from it at the right time.

CJay
20-10-2023, 07:57 PM
Up there with his very best I would say, which is saying something. He's had a rough old time of it lately buy the sound of it, but it's certainly inspired some very strong music.

If we talk "regular" studio albums (discounting the electronic experiments etc, which I have nothing against) has he ever really missed? A Sun Came is noticeably a step down from everything that came after it I suppose. But from then on everything is excellent.

From a purely musical point of view, no, but I’d say there are people who enjoy his more folksy output who would consider the likes of Age of Adz (banger after banger imo) and The Ascension to be misses.

Javelin really runs the gamut of his musical output to date. You have the finger picking fragile bits, the nearly tribal sounding drum bits, actual recorders, the soaring orchestral swells. It’s so good.

Bernanke
20-10-2023, 08:32 PM
New Sampha record is immense.

Raoul Duke
05-11-2023, 04:34 PM
New song by up-and-coming boyband The Beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

I really like it. Video got me in the feels a bit too.

Clunge
05-11-2023, 04:45 PM
Total Oasis rip-off.

Jimmy Floyd
05-11-2023, 04:47 PM
I had a moan about it in another thread, but a mawkish video with hologram George and John only makes me redouble those protestations.

Shindig
05-11-2023, 04:50 PM
I hadn't seen the video til now. Horrific force ghost bullshit. The other Beatles coming in for the chorus (and only the chorus) just reiterates how it's just a Lennon track. A Lennon track John Lennon himself didn't think good enough to polish up.

Baz
05-11-2023, 07:21 PM
Speaking of music from the olden days I recently heard Marianne Faithfull for the first time and I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDVe1rjCj_Y

Song of the year 1979 or whenever it was.

SvN
05-11-2023, 10:40 PM
A Lennon track John Lennon himself didn't think good enough to polish up.

Dunno if you heard, but he was shot dead, mate.

Shindig
05-11-2023, 11:18 PM
He told Mark David Chapman and that's why he was shot.

niko_cee
05-11-2023, 11:21 PM
The music of 1979 should ensure their brightest and best stay in 1979 and make it musically prosperous, instead of coming to 2023 and blighting my existence.

Dear god.

Alternatively, 1979 gave us Rapper's Delight and Another Brick in the Wall, and all manner of Gary Numan and Joy Division goodness, so maybe Marianne should just be consigned to the bin of history.

Baz
06-11-2023, 06:58 AM
Not a fan of that song then? :D

Speaking of Joy Division and songs with edgy lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgzvIWGGJl4

Don
17-11-2023, 12:39 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/nov/17/andre-3000-on-his-surprise-flute-album-its-pure-excitement-like-a-child-seeing-bubbles-for-the-first-time

These days, most of André’s mornings begin with a five‑mile walk. Afterwards, he heads to his creative studio in nearby El Segundo, where he paints, sculpts, takes video calls and sketches designs for his new company, A Myriad of Pyramids, which aims to connect all of his artistic endeavours. He plays the flute throughout the day and has begun an apprenticeship to learn how to make the instrument. At night, he has vivid recurring dreams, most notably a vision that he has been having since the beginning of his career, in which he floats through the air.

Motherfucking goals right there :drool: Album is a nice listen.

wullie
17-11-2023, 01:37 PM
There's a big interview/video here about him as well https://www.gq.com/story/men-of-the-year-2023-andre-3000-profile

Favourite bit

I’m 48 years old. And not to say that age is a thing that dictates what you rap about, but in a way it does. And things that happen in my life, like, what are you talking about? ‘I got to go get a colonoscopy.’ What are you rapping about? ‘My eyesight is going bad.’

Offshore Toon
17-11-2023, 08:34 PM
Funny little quote, I guess, but Jay smashed it out the park with 4:44. They're articulate geniuses with more wisdom than ever. Yet, he plays flute instead.

I respect it but he should just outright admit he's scared.

Bernanke
17-11-2023, 11:08 PM
I mean, the album is genuinely good.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2023, 11:36 PM
I'll listen tomorrow as I bet it's great productivity music, but tonight belongs to Danny Brown.

Offshore Toon
17-11-2023, 11:37 PM
Also the Capo Lee and Bakey EP is well worth a listen if you're not a coward.

Baz
29-11-2023, 01:20 PM
Spotify wrapped is IMMINENT, boys. Any predictions for yours?

Last year:
Mine's plagued by my daughter listening to songs from Gabby's Dollhouse and Teen Titans Go with the top song being The Night Begins to Shine by B.E.R. :moop:

Top artists were correct though: 6ix9ine, Elliott Smith, Drake, Tyler the Creator and Kanye West. Probably identical to last year.

My "audio aura" saying my top music moods are hype and melancholy threw me a bit, and feel like I've been diagnosed as bipolar just like that.

Very little 6ix9ine this year now he’s fallen off. Elliott Smith/Heatmiser top for sure. Sueco and Powfu to steam up the charts too, and then probably a lot of nonsense my kids like.

Serj
29-11-2023, 01:48 PM
Mine is going to be dominated by Fucked Up, simply because they've got an album consisting of essentially 4 20-minute-songs which are split up on Spotify into "micro"-tracks, some only lasting 30 seconds. Cracking album (Year of the Horse) and would have been top in any case, I reckon. Top track will be Fucked Up - Track II (again, slightly deceiving because it appears four times on that one album).

Beyond that, since I mostly went looking for hard rock/folk/prog/punk from the Seventies and Eighties it will be dominated by that: Michael Hurley, Aphrodite's Child, Minutemen, Wire.

Probably some Ween from early on in the year as well.

niko_cee
29-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Dunno if I spotted it last year or not, but if not, The Night Begins to Shine. :cool:

Got the t-shirt.

Ben
29-11-2023, 07:26 PM
My top genre was trance, by far (mostly 90’s) but somewhat surprisingly my top artist was Nas.

Gray Fox
29-11-2023, 08:08 PM
I predicted 4 of 5 correctly to my Mrs before it came up, with Electric Callboy getting 5th on mine, rather than I Prevail, who I thought would be. Also surprised to see I've listened to more Bad Omens than Sleep Token.

Serj
29-11-2023, 08:20 PM
Mine is going to be dominated by Fucked Up, simply because they've got an album consisting of essentially 4 20-minute-songs which are split up on Spotify into "micro"-tracks, some only lasting 30 seconds. Cracking album (Year of the Horse) and would have been top in any case, I reckon. Top track will be Fucked Up - Track II (again, slightly deceiving because it appears four times on that one album).

Beyond that, since I mostly went looking for hard rock/folk/prog/punk from the Seventies and Eighties it will be dominated by that: Michael Hurley, Aphrodite's Child, Minutemen, Wire.

Probably some Ween from early on in the year as well.

1. Fucked Up
2. Ween
3. Aphrodite's Child
4. Minutemen
5. Morphine

Close enough.

Baz
29-11-2023, 10:25 PM
Sueco was actually ahead of Elliott Smith. :eek:

Manc
30-11-2023, 12:49 AM
I predicted 4 of 5 correctly to my Mrs before it came up, with Electric Callboy getting 5th on mine, rather than I Prevail, who I thought would be. Also surprised to see I've listened to more Bad Omens than Sleep Token.

Just pretend is a banger.

Gray Fox
30-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Just pretend is a banger.

The Death of Peace of Mind album is stellar. I'd definitely give it a playthrough if you haven't already. I still can't believe it's Noah doing all of the vocal work throughout.

Manc
30-11-2023, 03:23 PM
I'll add it to the list.

Didn't have Pittsburgh down as my spiritual home.

Giggles
22-12-2023, 11:26 PM
Must have heard 100 iterations of grace over the years but Rod Stewart nailed it.

Baz
23-12-2023, 12:16 AM
Giggles is drunk, pass it on

Giggles
23-12-2023, 12:54 PM
I was the only one that wasn't actually.

-james-
09-01-2024, 07:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxLja-DRIw

Masterpiece.

Raoul Duke
09-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Been enjoying banjo music a lot recently (my destiny is to buy one at some point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfNlkqX7hlc

Vocals are a bit Joanna Newsom, I think

Gray Fox
18-01-2024, 08:32 PM
Ventured up to Liverpool last night for Bad Omens/BMTH. Went in around 7 so caught Cassyette(seemed like she was very into it but very few seemed to know her stuff). Managed to get a decent spot though. Some at the front had queued since 4am to get there but we weren't too far back.

Unfortunately for me though where we anchored was right where the pit opened. The legs don't thank me today. It was madness in some of BMTHs bigger songs. Bad Omens also putting on a very good show.

Manc
26-01-2024, 05:35 PM
https://youtu.be/MYFuCg6rMSE?si=bVWgLb-aqyJ3f1A5

Certified bop.

Raoul Duke
26-01-2024, 07:59 PM
There's a new EP from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah called Piano & Voice which is a nice listen. In a similar vein, if anyone likes Modest Mouse, the Ugly Casanova side project album is great (but very old).

New album from The Smile is good, but kinda...the songs Radiohead could have been doing instead of fucking around with weird drum machine loops for a decade.

Clunge
26-01-2024, 08:49 PM
Will get stuck into new Smile tomorrow. But I fear I will feel the same, as I did with their first album. Some truly beautiful songs made less accessible by irritating bleeps and arrangements.

The Radiohead version of Skirting on the Surface they played live circa 2012 is far superior to the eventual recorded version of it by The Smile.

Jimmy Floyd
04-02-2024, 08:24 PM
I spent six months trying to wean myself off the Lenker fanboyism, you know, trying to broaden my horizons, was getting somewhere, and then she drops this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmycsQ30obg) and I'm back to square one. Never stood a chance, really.

Baz
12-02-2024, 09:40 PM
Have you seen this?

https://www.chosic.com/playlist-generator/

You can add as many (or as few) songs as you like and then ask it to generate a playlist based on the songs you added. Seems like a good way to discover new music.

Ben
13-02-2024, 06:55 AM
I've just done a quick one with the default settings. Seems decent but amongst the good suggestions it's also churning out remixes of the same tracks I inputted which is fine but doesn't really lend itself to discovering new things. Maybe I can eliminate that with settings changes or maybe it's just not suited to certain genres. Nice that you can save directly to Spotify though.

CJay
22-02-2024, 09:48 AM
I spent six months trying to wean myself off the Lenker fanboyism, you know, trying to broaden my horizons, was getting somewhere, and then she drops this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmycsQ30obg) and I'm back to square one. Never stood a chance, really.

3 for 3 so far. She's so good.

hfswjyr
22-02-2024, 10:48 AM
Agree, but give me more Big Thief any day.

CJay
28-02-2024, 09:23 AM
I don't think my previous Hop Along eulogising here gained any traction, but this track from their back catalogue (do you have a back catalogue if you've only released 3 albums?) is incredible. Upbeat Built to Spill married with Los Campesinos! is the vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccGPKRhez-U

hfswjyr
29-02-2024, 10:27 AM
Would never have clicked play until you mentioned one of my favourite bands of all time. Nice tune.

Speaking of which...

https://x.com/LosCampesinos/status/1759576266779332695?s=20

CJay
29-02-2024, 12:20 PM
Would never have clicked play until you mentioned one of my favourite bands of all time. Nice tune.

Speaking of which...

https://x.com/LosCampesinos/status/1759576266779332695?s=20

Funny because I used to love them but think I’d missed their precious two albums. Looking at their wiki the other day it seemed like they were finished, so it’s nice to see something new is coming out soon.

Manc
03-03-2024, 07:55 PM
Any fans of Everything Everything? I've just been to watch them launch thier new album. Bop after bop.

Shindig
03-03-2024, 07:59 PM
It's not grabbing me as much but anything after Arc has taken a while to click.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's bloody good. :D

Alex
17-04-2024, 05:59 PM
I'm in the midst of a huge Nick Cave phase at the moment. Which is nothing massively new, but I sort of drifted away from listening to him a few years ago (Ghosteen never really clicked with me all that much, for some reason - I probably need to go back to it) but I got tickets to see him later in the year and I've been firmly back ever since.

I had forgotten what an interesting, varied and frankly just fucking cool catalogue of music that is. I'm in the process of re-buying it all on vinyl (I realise this makes me sound a massive wanker) and it really is helping me re-appreciate the whole lot.

Push the Sky Away immediately went to the top of my Nick Cave pile back when it was first released and I think it still resides there now. I fucking love that album. I'm also very fixated on Henry's Dream at the moment.

I watched a couple of the documentaries about him recently too (20,000 Days on Earth and One More Time With Feeling) and both are very good.

Shindig
17-04-2024, 06:03 PM
DJ Shadow's coming to Gateshead so I'm going to see if I can grab tickets for that. In the meantime, I'm going to dig into his newer albums and see if anything scratches that itch. Nowt's worked for me since The Private Press, if I'm honest. The Less You Know ... wasn't awful, I suppose.

Raoul Duke
17-04-2024, 07:26 PM
I'm in the midst of a huge Nick Cave phase at the moment. Which is nothing massively new, but I sort of drifted away from listening to him a few years ago (Ghosteen never really clicked with me all that much, for some reason - I probably need to go back to it) but I got tickets to see him later in the year and I've been firmly back ever since.

I had forgotten what an interesting, varied and frankly just fucking cool catalogue of music that is. I'm in the process of re-buying it all on vinyl (I realise this makes me sound a massive wanker) and it really is helping me re-appreciate the whole lot.

Push the Sky Away immediately went to the top of my Nick Cave pile back when it was first released and I think it still resides there now. I fucking love that album. I'm also very fixated on Henry's Dream at the moment.

I watched a couple of the documentaries about him recently too (20,000 Days on Earth and One More Time With Feeling) and both are very good.

I got tickets for him too. Push The Sky Away is one of my all-time fave albums. The live album at Ally Pally is great as well.

He did the soundtrack to the Amy Winehouse film which I haven't listened to yet. Apart from Grinderman I'm not that into a lot of his "solo" stuff.