PDA

View Full Version : The Martian (Spoilers)

SvN
28-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Went to see The Martian last night. I thought it was outstanding. I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a film and character. Go and see it.

John Arne
30-09-2015, 11:19 PM
So, The Martian is alright. It's probably 20 minutes too long, and there are too many things that happen without adequate explanation. However, considering 98% of the film is just Damon talking to himself, it manages to keep moving forward.
Also, one of the final scenes is fucking stupid.

When Damon casually exits his pod in Space and seems to effortlessly control himself over 200 metres thanks to a small air hole in his suit. It's fucking Gravity all over again.

Foe
03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
I really enjoyed the martian. It relied pretty heavily on Damon mind, but it was an entirely good way to spend an evening.

Giggles
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Considering going to see The Martian on Monday night. First trailer in a long while that has grabbed me, despite Matt Damon.

Max Power
06-10-2015, 11:05 PM
The Martian is good. SIR Ridley Scott's best since Black Hawk Down. Tense and surprisingly funny. Looks great as well, but his films generally tend to tbf.

CJay
11-10-2015, 12:10 AM
The Martian is excellent. :thbup:

ItalAussie
11-10-2015, 12:36 PM
The Martian is absolutely outstanding. It's probably jumped into my five favourite films of all time. Absolutely outstanding.

But that said, it's basically a movie version of every escapist daydream I had growing up as a nerdy kid, so it was always going to get a positive review from me.

Mazuuurk
11-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Does the Martian have a happy ending? Spoiler if needed.

Henry
16-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Fairly silly ending but The Martian was pretty good.

Vim
17-10-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm going to see the Martian later.

Henry
17-10-2015, 01:31 PM
The ending of The Martian stretched credibility a bit, but I enjoyed it.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-10-2015, 05:57 PM
The trailer was exceptional, as was The Martian which I watched today.

Spoonsky
25-10-2015, 09:16 PM
The Martian is really a great movie, it seemed like it just about perfected what Gravity and Interstellar had previously been going for. Matt Damon is terrific.

The bit with him teaching at the end was rubbish mind.

simon
26-10-2015, 11:30 PM
I went to see The Martian tonight.

It was fantastic from start to finish and had me leaving the cinema with a big grin on my face. Just wonderful.

Yevrah
02-11-2015, 12:22 AM
The Martian is a properly good film, 8/10 stuff as an absolute minimum, and, dare I say it, a potential classic.

Seriously impressed and the best thing I've seen in the cinema for a long time.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Angst.

It's well acted by the lead but there was no tension at all for me, I was starting to doze off towards the end and it's only 83 minutes long.

I didn't realise The Martian was still out and I'm off this week so I think I'll go tomorrow morning, haven't seen anything at the cinema since The Planet of The Apes.

Magic
02-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Spectre

Things that fucked me off:

1) The camerawork was shite, it was like watching QoS all over again. Shakey to give that 'I'm there!!!' impression but all it did was give me a feeling of nausea and unrest.
2) The stunts. I didn't enjoy the car chase because it felt a bit 'fast and furious'y and the plane scene was just ridiculous. Bond is supposed to do wild but believable stunts. Not fucking laughably unrealistic shite.
3) The scenes with Waltz and Craig. How could you turn one of the most fearsome actors in the world today in to a slightly autistic, arrogant loser? I thought Bardem was absolutely amazing as the baddy in Skyfall, what a complete letdown Waltz was, though I reckon that was more to do with the script and storyline, rather than his acting. Underwhelming!
4) Also the scene where Bond got the needles through his nerves or whatever? It was supposed to paralyse him/cause him neurological grief and it actually didn't do anything and was a waste of time. Great scene! Also the entire complex blowing up from nothing more than a small watch explosion. Cool.
5) And just lol at that '3 minute/3000 minute scene'. It reminded me of the neverending runway on F&F6. As if he'd be able to find her in a building that size in three minutes.

Eurgh. Just eurgh.

The Martian

A wonderful film. Really great. Excellent ideas and presented really, really well. It was 'slow' in all the right places, to be honest I knew it would be a winner as soon as my braindead cunt of a mother-in-law said it wasn't worth going to see. Ruined only by two complete sets of cunts at the cinema, again. Must be due a fucking good run as it's been really bad luck recently.

Anyway two things I didn't like:

1) The whole 'slingshot' idea came across as a unique and brilliant idea by a (black, obviously, not intentional Hollywood!!!) astrophysicist. Now, I think NASA use the slingshot technique all the time, the most recent example being the Rosetta? I thought it was going to be something holy shit but it was fairly obvious to me what they were going to do. Initially I thought they would launch from Russia or something because he was on about the planet's alignment.
2) The Chinese helping. Anyone else who watches Liveleak will know by now that the Chinese don't have words like 'Help', 'Assist', 'Care' or 'Fellow man' in their vocabulary.

Apart from that though, it was really a proper film.

Alan Shearer The 2nd
02-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Did anyone else recognise Benedict Wong in The Martian from Sunshine and Prometheus? My God he's a fat fucker these days.

Dquincy
02-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Spectre

1) The camerawork was shite, it was like watching QoS all over again. Shakey to give that 'I'm there!!!' impression but all it did was give me a feeling of nausea and unrest.
2) The stunts. I didn't enjoy the car chase because it felt a bit 'fast and furious'y and the plane scene was just ridiculous. Bond is supposed to do wild but believable stunts. Not fucking laughably unrealistic shite.
3) The scenes with Waltz and Craig. How could you turn one of the most fearsome actors in the world today in to a slightly autistic, arrogant loser? I thought Bardem was absolutely amazing as the baddy in Skyfall, what a complete letdown Waltz was, though I reckon that was more to do with the script and storyline, rather than his acting. Underwhelming!
4) Also the scene where Bond got the needles through his nerves or whatever? It was supposed to paralyse him/cause him neurological grief and it actually didn't do anything and was a waste of time. Great scene! Also the entire complex blowing up from nothing more than a small watch explosion. Cool.
5) And just lol at that '3 minute/3000 minute scene'. It reminded me of the neverending runway on F&F6. As if he'd be able to find her in a building that size in three minutes.

Eurgh. Just eurgh.

The Martian

A wonderful film. Really great. Excellent ideas and presented really, really well. It was 'slow' in all the right places, to be honest I knew it would be a winner as soon as my braindead cunt of a mother-in-law said it wasn't worth going to see. Ruined only by two complete sets of cunts at the cinema, again. Must be due a fucking good run as it's been really bad luck recently.

1) The whole 'slingshot' idea came across as a unique and brilliant idea by a (black, obviously, not intentional Hollywood!!!) astrophysicist. Now, I think NASA use the slingshot technique all the time, the most recent example being the Rosetta? I thought it was going to be something holy shit but it was fairly obvious to me what they were going to do. Initially I thought they would launch from Russia or something because he was on about the planet's alignment.
2) The Chinese helping. Anyone else who watches Liveleak will know by now that the Chinese don't have words like 'Help', 'Assist', 'Care' or 'Fellow man' in their vocabulary.

Spectre was quite poor. The hazy camera style they used was annoying, kept thinking there was something wrong with my eyesight. And the storyline was weak and directionless.

Spoonsky
03-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Spectre

Eurgh. Just eurgh.

The Martian

Not only is the astrophysicist black, he's also Childish Gambino.

Lewis
05-11-2015, 12:33 AM
The Martian is properly good. Off the top of my head it's the best thing I've seen in the cinema for years.

Yevrah
05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
The Martian is properly good. Off the top of my head it's the best thing I've seen in the cinema for years.

Yep, it's so good I'm even tempted to go and see it again. Which I've never done.

Henry
05-11-2015, 03:47 PM
When's the last time there was this much consensus about a film?

I think I already posted about it; but to break the consensus - it isn't that good.

Lewis
05-11-2015, 03:54 PM
The only problem (if it is a problem) I had was:

I would have ended it when it said 'Day 1' or whatever it was. I didn't need to see him doing a motivational talk, and the Dad's Army credits sequence was shit.

Other than that, class.

Spoonsky
05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
The only problem (if it is a problem) I had was:

I would have ended it when it said 'Day 1' or whatever it was. I didn't need to see him doing a motivational talk, and the Dad's Army credits sequence was shit.

Other than that, class.

I liked the credits sequence, I thought it was quite nice, but the bit where he's teaching is just bollocks. It was basically screaming "THIS IS THE THEME OF THE MOVIE" when the theme was (or should have been) pretty fucking obvious anyway.

Henry
05-11-2015, 04:18 PM
My problems include that his rescue was too improbable, and that there was no sense of wonder or curiosity about being on another planet.

Magic
05-11-2015, 04:24 PM
My problems include that his rescue was too improbable, and that there was no sense of wonder or curiosity about being on another planet.

That would have plunged it in to Interstellar territory imo and then unless you get every fucking nuance right you'd have legions of nerds moaning about HOW WRONG the film was. Enough was left to the imagination.

By the way if you were on another planet as he was do you really think curiosity and wonder if all you had to do was basically live on fuck all? Alone? Also he does say quite a lot it's amazing being the first to do something, sits and looks at the sky etc.

My gripes I've already said but I think the guys would have come up with gravitational acceleration much quicker than some nerd in his bedroom..

Pepe
05-11-2015, 04:25 PM
I haven't watched it but can't wait to do so so I can call it shit.

Henry
05-11-2015, 04:41 PM
That would have plunged it in to Interstellar territory imo and then unless you get every fucking nuance right you'd have legions of nerds moaning about HOW WRONG the film was. Enough was left to the imagination.

By the way if you were on another planet as he was do you really think curiosity and wonder if all you had to do was basically live on fuck all? Alone? Also he does say quite a lot it's amazing being the first to do something, sits and looks at the sky etc.

My gripes I've already said but I think the guys would have come up with gravitational acceleration much quicker than some nerd in his bedroom..

A sense of wonder doesn't require the bullshit that Interstellar came up with, just having a bit more of a focus on the planet and an appreciation of it, as well as the astronauts travails. It doesn't even have to be the astronaut doing anything different, just the way the filmmakers capture it.

Magic
05-11-2015, 04:43 PM
A sense of wonder doesn't require the bullshit that Interstellar came up with, just having a bit more of a focus on the planet and an appreciation of it, as well as the astronauts travails. It doesn't even have to be the astronaut doing anything different, just the way the filmmakers capture it.

I thought there was plenty of that. Oh wait you liked the Tree of Life, didn't you?

Magic
05-11-2015, 04:45 PM
We're not Harvey Yevrah.

Henry
05-11-2015, 04:51 PM
I think we're done, since Magic is getting snarky.

Magic
05-11-2015, 04:52 PM
:eyemouth:

phonics
05-11-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm really good at this you guys.

Yevrah
05-11-2015, 06:35 PM
I thought the whole film was brilliant. From the landscape shots on Mars, to the challenges facing Damon, to the way he approached them “I’m going to have to science the shit out of it”.

Magic
05-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Remove the spoilers then you mook.

ItalAussie
05-11-2015, 11:26 PM
They'd been on the planet for a little bit at the point the movie happened though, right?

Like, a sense of wonder is fine, but presumably that's Day 1 - Day 3 of being on Mars, and then you get down to business. They're professionals with a job to do. I quite like that Mars was there and it was big and impressive, but the astronauts were technical people doing their jobs properly. Much more than that would have felt like "THIS IS A MOVIE LOOK AT THE MOVIE" rather than a story about a person marooned and trying to survive, and the people trying to get him back.

CJay
05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Reading the book after the film doesn't work quite as well. Nothing is really left to the imagination, especially when the film was so memorable. Still a great book, though.

Spoonsky
05-11-2015, 11:47 PM

I'd agree with this, but I thought that Ridley Scott just about made up for it with the number of genuinely stunning landscape shots of Mars that were sprinkled throughout the movie. It was almost like he was trying to directly impart the wonder onto the viewer, instead of channeling it through Matt Damon, and I think he succeeded pretty well.

Pepe
07-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Alright, put me aboard the bandwagon, that was proper good. The only gripes were the shite character of the wanker who came up with the idea of them coming back to get him and the whole poke the suit and propel myself that way, which was just ridiculous. Not enough to ruin the film or anything. of course. The theater I went to had some :drool: seats which would fit your average 300lbs American with ease and would recline too, which was nice. One more thing, I am still not sold on 3D. It makes some scenes look very nice, but for anything that is not a 'look at the awesome landscape' shot it just doesn't work. At least it is not the nausea-fest it used to be back in the day.

Yevrah
07-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I saw it in 3D and it was a bit pointless, but I'd agree, at least people are using it in a better fashion now.

I agree with the Iron Man thing too, but I suppose it's testament to the quality of the rest of it that it didn't bother me that much.

A proper 5 star video quality Blu-Ray release please.

Pepe
07-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Indeed, by that point I was so pleased with the whole thing that I just let it slide. Still, had he just made it with the whole bomb planno one would have complained about lack of DRAMA. Sometimes directors need to stick their fingers out of their arses.

One more thing, when Starman started playing I almost lost it.

Yevrah
07-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Yep, the soundtrack is great too.

Pepe
07-11-2015, 11:07 PM
It is. Then again, I love me some disco. Bowie just sealed the deal.

Lewis
07-11-2015, 11:12 PM
It's all very emotional when they turn around. Had it not been based on a book you would have figured the Chinese government had bankrolled it as well.

ItalAussie
08-11-2015, 01:07 AM
Incidentally, the biggest change from the books is in the final rescue sequence, where they reject the "blow a hole in the suit" idea as improbable. :D

Still, made for a decent climax. I was invested enough at that point that I'd have accepted anything.

Yevrah
08-11-2015, 01:10 AM
How does he get to Chastain in the book then?

Spoonsky
08-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Alright, put me aboard the bandwagon, that was proper good. The only gripes were the shite character of the wanker who came up with the idea of them coming back to get him and the whole poke the suit and propel myself that way, which was just ridiculous. Not enough to ruin the film or anything. of course. The theater I went to had some :drool: seats which would fit your average 300lbs American with ease and would recline too, which was nice. One more thing, I am still not sold on 3D. It makes some scenes look very nice, but for anything that is not a 'look at the awesome landscape' shot it just doesn't work. At least it is not the nausea-fest it used to be back in the day.

I saw it in the same sort of recliner theater. Same price as a normal theater as well. It's :drool:, isn't it? Hopefully it's a countrywide revolution.

Pepe
08-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Yes, same price as the rundown shithole I usually go to. A shame that the new place only seem to show blockbusters.

Toby
19-11-2015, 10:05 AM
As everybody else has said, this is seriously good. I assume it's on course to sweep up a lot of Oscars?

I don't get the complaints about it lacking a "sense of wonder". Were people upset that Tom Hanks didn't spend his time in awe of pretty palm trees in Cast Away? Watney seemed suitably awestruck by his plants growing and by traversing land no other human had ever touched. I feel like dwelling on it any more would have run contrary to his character, who obviously had to be obsessively focused on survival. They built that up by well by emphasising his routines throughout it all.

igor_balis
19-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I thought it was very good.