PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Mike
18-09-2015, 08:48 PM
It's pretty bloody good.

Shindig
19-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Just did Episode 12. I can definitely see how that would piss people off. For anyone struggling, here's how it went down.

http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc/v/16796086

Alex
19-09-2015, 09:08 PM
I've just done episode 20 on mine, "The Devil's House" or whatever.

That twat who's on fire turned up again. Mass panic (mostly from Miller) ensued but I shotgunned him into a swimming pool and strolled off casual as you like. :cool:

Some tossers also invaded Mother Base but I went back there and made very short work of them.

Oh, and EVERYTHING is getting Fultoned now. Every fucking thing in site. I don't even know why. It just feels like it has to be done.

I think I'm going to take a break from the main story for a bit and catch up on the side-ops.

phonics
20-09-2015, 12:40 AM
You're at a point that begins one of the coolest crossings of story/mechanics that I've seen in years.

Swiftly followed by one of the weirdest moments of directing in videogame history.

Shindig
20-09-2015, 06:17 AM
I get the feeling I already know what it is. Watched a glitch video yesterday on youtube and the related videos spoiled something major.

Shindig
21-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Also, fuck the Skull Unit. 16's done. A-ranked, too.

Alex
21-09-2015, 09:00 PM
I feel like I'm almost certainly on the final boss fight at the moment, but based on what somebody at work told me about the number of missions/episodes there are apparently I'm not?

I'm fighting Metal Gear Sahelanthropus. Or whatever he's called. He's a right cunt too. Died about ten times already.

I've been getting in the anti-aircraft, missile-launcher thing that's parked up near by and doing quite a lot of damage to his health that way. Then he fires off that red mist that rusts it all up and I have to get out and fight him on foot. Then he starts with his laser attack and then it's usually a wrap. :moop:

Prior to this me and Skull Face shared a very intense, somewhat awkward ten minute drive through the desert where he told me all about his evil master plan and I just started silently at him for the duration. :D

Can anybody with an in depth knowledge of the storyline to date (I haven't really followed it properly since MGS2) tell me why his face is in fact skull-like? I assumed he was some sort of supernatural creature. But based on the talk he's just given me I don't think he is. And I think he's dead now, so I'll potentially never find out.

Shindig
21-09-2015, 09:16 PM
There's a true ending, yes. Also, those spoiler tags are borked. I'd avert my gaze but you haven't gone into super spoilery territory.

Shindig
23-09-2015, 05:44 PM
So I think I've uncovered my first experience of some scripting going ape. I was tailing some lackey to his superior officer when they decided to stop. He'd get out, stretch his legs and some of the guards with him would follow. Back to the car, repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I backed off a little to see if distance was causing him to be overly cautious but, sure enough he kept sitting in the vehicle, getting out and repeating it again.

So rather than redo this mission from scratch I decided to take the transport out of the equation. One grenade does that in and it all kicks off. I run around looking for a safe spot and annoying the guy I was tailing is no longer tagged. I assume they're going to the next guard post which is now on full red alert. And there's a gunship. Probably should've mentioned that. In the chaos it's decided to hover at the entrance to the post so I blow that bird right up.

I sneak into the outpost whilst my buddy snipes anything that gives me bother. I kill anyone else until <ping> OBJECTIVE COMPLETE. Miller has a whinge about not getting intel from him so I fulton back a prisoner as a sorry present. So many ways to get stuff done in this game.

phonics
23-09-2015, 05:54 PM
The lack of failure states is truly incredible.

Shindig
23-09-2015, 06:09 PM
"Find some intel from this guy. Unless you kill him. In which case, the guy next to him. He's dead... erm... try a prisoner."

Yevrah
23-09-2015, 07:41 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a670042/this-metal-gear-solid-5-video-proves-that-you-dont-need-to-be-silent-to-be-stealthy.html#~pp8Fb7V2RKmX0u

:D

wullie
24-09-2015, 07:41 AM
That whole 'Quiet needs to have her tits out to breathe' is a bit Gamergate friendly for my liking.

Shindig
24-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Nah, that totally makes sense. Remember when she was in the prologue fully clothed AT NIGHT? And remember that boss fight with The End. The thing I always remember about that is how he was topless.

phonics
24-09-2015, 10:06 AM
The way it the camera defaults when you have her as a buddy is fucking gross and is enough evidence you need to shut Japan down.

wullie
24-09-2015, 10:14 AM
There's always someone pissing themselves in a Kojima game too.

phonics
24-09-2015, 10:17 AM
You can tranq a guard, fire a water pistol at his crotch, have his mate come over and wake him up and his mate will ask why he's pissed himself.

VIDEOGAMES.

Shindig
26-09-2015, 09:42 PM
"Hey, Boss. There's a disease on the Base. Quarantine these 250 people one-by-one, please." :moop:

I could've replaced them in less time.

Disco
26-09-2015, 10:07 PM
There's always someone pissing themselves in a Kojima game too.

Don't forget shitting themselves. Two of them in MGS4, one guy is having explosive squits in a big barrel so when he's gone Snake picks it up and rolls around in it. Hmmmm, highbrow.

Mike
27-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Don't forget shitting themselves. Two of them in MGS4, one guy is having explosive squits in a big barrel so when he's gone Snake picks it up and rolls around in it. Hmmmm, highbrow.
That's Johnny Sasaki. He's in them all apart from 3, where his grandad steps into his shoes.

Shindig
27-09-2015, 09:30 AM
50 of the quarantine fellas are already dead. Hope this fucks off soon. Also, Kojima perving over the bald women. Cunt.

Alex
27-09-2015, 02:41 PM
I agree that the Quiet stuff is properly pervy. Anyway, I've finished episode 31 now:

It took me fucking AGES but I've finally killed the big Metal Gear boss. I don't know how many times it took, but he got me with the one hit kill on quiet a few occasions when he was down to less than 10% health. The pad went across he room on a couple of occasions. :moop:

Still, at least it felt like a legitimate boss fight experience. It was satisfying as hell finally taking him down.

Well, I say taking him down, but after all that "DESTROY HIM BOSS, IF THE WORLD EVEN KNOWS THAT THING EXISTS IT WILL BE THE END OF EVERYTHING!" grandstanding we've apparently had a change of heart and let Huey just bring the fucking thing back to Mother Base.

It's weird because I really felt like I'd completed the game, but it's just kept going. I've got new missions and everything. I even got a "coming up in Chapter 2" trailer and everything. It's all a bit strange.

And Miller has turned Mother Base into some sort of Orwellian cradle of fear and suspicion, complete with posters all over the place telling the men that "BIG BOSS IS WATCHING YOU!". :D

phonics
27-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I killed it first time. Just ran through it's legs over and over again like a shitty episode of Tom & Jerry.

The thing I was talking about before was
Remember Skull Face giving you that big chat on the jeep about how you're the same and blah blah revenge blah etc. but then he stopped talking and it just played a really bad anime song for what felt like another 6 minutes. Did that happen to you?

We just stared at each other for a while and then got out.

Alex
27-09-2015, 02:50 PM
I killed it first time. Just ran through it's legs over and over again like a shitty episode of Tom & Jerry.

The thing I was talking about before was
Remember Skull Face giving you that big chat on the jeep about how you're the same and blah blah revenge blah etc. but then he stopped talking and it just played a really bad anime song for what felt like another 6 minutes. Did that happen to you?

We just stared at each other for a while and then got out.

Yes, it did. :D

Really bizarre stuff.

Shindig
27-09-2015, 03:52 PM
30 is next up. 29 resulted in my first chicken hat. What's annoying about that is Quiet did all the hard work whilst I just ran around trying not to get bloody icicled to death and hiding. I hope that disease bollocks never rears its ugly head again.

Part of me wants to charge through some side ops but I know what's next. I'll say this: Skullface has some proper motivations. None of this, "GRRR ... I've got loads of money!" bullshit Volgin was on about in Snake Eater.

Shindig
03-10-2015, 08:14 PM
30 done. Salihamidzic has a bugger of a final form.

http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc/v/18960193

Also, nice to have someone in chat actually talking about the game instead of "shareplay plz."

Shindig
04-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Into the epilogue now. Or as Kojima probably intended it: Season Two. I'm ready to watch this whole thing collapse. He's definitely trying the MGS 4 thing of trying to justify its own bullshit and the end of Act One did not need that attempt at comic relief.

Yevrah
04-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Didn't the reviews say the game was 40 hours long? You must have sunk that into it already Shinners.

Shindig
04-10-2015, 10:59 PM
91 at least. I'm chasing trophies but also the game's very much out of the free-to-play design mould. I'm only ever going to play through this once.

Shindig
09-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Okay. I've not long had the tape which foreshadows the big reveal. Thanks for derailing your entire fiction, Hideo.

phonics
10-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I 'completed' it today. Great game, shame the endings a mess.

Disco
10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
I dread to think how big a crowbar they needed to tie the ending in with the first two games.

phonics
10-10-2015, 03:46 PM
I dread to think how big a crowbar they needed to tie the ending in with the first two games.

Or is it really​ a crowbar?

Disco
10-10-2015, 04:06 PM
It looks like a crowbar but I suspect it's been made from nano-machines by the Patriots.

Shindig
10-10-2015, 05:47 PM
It's not a crowbar. It's anime. I got stuck in Mission 45 and called it quits but not before watching the end on youtube. Still not the ending I would've gone for but they telegraph it throughout. In one way it makes sense but it just provides more questions that we won't get the answers to unless they reboot the whole franchise.

Also, Mission 45. Fuck those tanks. And furthermore, never make another game, Hideo. You can't go on about words and deeds and then brush it off like that.

Raoul Duke
02-12-2015, 08:03 PM
This is 50% off in the PlayStation Store for the next 48 hours. Think I'll pick it up now, even though I have a billion hours left on Fallout still (and have Ass Creed and Just Cause high up on my list as well).

Ian
26-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Made a start on this. The prologue is utter shit. Absolutely diabolical.

Once you get to the proper first mission though it seems pretty swish. The world is rather pretty (for a desert), the stealth seems very promising and I have a 'recruit' at my base called Roaring Hedgehog.

phonics
26-12-2015, 11:04 PM
With the way that the barely in control sections of this game work, I think I have to praise Konami in forcing this out. It's such a great game and so poor outside of anything that isn't pure mechanics. It's definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played but I really can't restart it due to that very prologue.

Ian
26-12-2015, 11:12 PM
The bit when you first get control felt like the game version of when Uma Thurman spends about five hours staring at her toe in Kill Bill.

wullie
27-12-2015, 12:04 AM
I had a recruit called Seething Mastodon which made me think of here.

Ian
30-12-2015, 06:57 PM
It's a pity I couldn't give a shit about whatever batshit insanity is going on in the cutscenes or the overwrought dialogue because this is a proper stealth game. Superb stuff.

phonics
30-12-2015, 11:25 PM
It's best if you don't.

Apart from the car-ride with Skullface that goes on for 25 minutes. That's gaming history right there.

Ian
31-12-2015, 12:30 AM
I just met Skullface for the first time and he seems like a massive bore. Is that an exaggeration or do I really have a half-hour cutscene with him coming up?

Shindig
31-12-2015, 08:00 AM
The best thing about Skullface is his motivation and not much else. He arguably does more evil than any other villain but he's barely a presence in that game.

phonics
31-12-2015, 11:45 AM
I just met Skullface for the first time and he seems like a massive bore. Is that an exaggeration or do I really have a half-hour cutscene with him coming up?

It's an exaggeration but you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you get to it.

Shindig
31-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah, that thing. To be fair, Skullface gets some time on the tapes as well. Some of which is Bond-level villainy mixed with the Third Reich.

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Christ, the prologue.

Does it ever fucking end?

Shindig
25-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Yes. Why wouldn't it?

Sir Andy Mahowry
25-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Yes. Why wouldn't it?

It seemed like it would never end and that's despite me skipping every single cut scene.

Ian
25-07-2016, 09:24 PM
I need to get back to this anyway but what I'll call the openin sequence was worse than any Assassin's Creed game, and they tend to have ten hour tutorials.

Andrew
26-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Can pick this up off Ebay for 5 quid usually is it worth a crack considering I've never played any MGS game before?

Mike
26-07-2016, 02:56 PM
It is.

Shindig
26-07-2016, 08:19 PM
It is the most Metal Gear you can have.