PDA

View Full Version : Extra Life 2015

Shindig
28-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Hello. I've mentioned this before on the forums but thought I'd give it more of a presence as we're leading up to the day itself. Extra Life is a charity event designed to help send money the way of Childrens' hospitals around the globe and this year I'm doing my part.

What it entails is gaming for 24 hours straight and streaming it live to an audience of willing punters in the hope they will donate to the worthy cause. It should be a ton of fun and I'm hopeful people enjoy it whilst throwing whatever money they can towards some people that really need it. I'm getting under way on November 7th at 8am GMT and there is some certain notes I want to hit. It'll be a mostly PS4-centric stream but I've also got a workable PC stream up and running. As a result, I have this in mind:

The Golf Club

There are two things I know that transpire around golf courses: Business and heart attacks. Why not band together in chat and intend to make one or both of these happen? Spout out your kickstarter fantasies or lay out Capcom's long-term business strategy from the comfort of your armchair. I'll be discussing the best suggestions from chat and, as with how democracy really rolls, any suggestions attached to donations get preferential scrutiny. LET'S MAKE SOME DEALS... WITH OUR IMAGINATIONS! AND LOUD VOICES!

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Time to celebrate Big Boss' oil rig death cult by playing the campaign completely Snake-less. The Diamond Dogs are ready to shine as we decide which ones have the coolest names and then give them license to ESPIONAGE! As with my recent blog series I may choose to moan about plot specifics. I say 'may'. I mean 'shall'.

Gone Home

Everybody's favourite introspection simulator will get a rude awakening as I role-play as a person attempting to burgle the Greenbriar residence. Chat can point out loot worth jacking and also speculate on the house's value as a whole. I will also be justifying my rampant ransacking by, I dunno, turning it into a class war. Sounds good, right? Start the van.

Bloodborne

Who's the greatest vampire hunter of them all? Donate with a comment to champion a Belmont of your choice (there's like, what? 4 of them?), Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing or Hunter Hearst Helmsley as our character. Yarnham won't know anything like it as our hunter dominates and is dominated by all manner of beasts.

Championship Manager / Football Manager

'Yeah'. Hold on a second, I'm going somewhere with this. I want to see how successful I can be in spite of myself. Selling top players, insulting fellow managers and generally acting with entire contempt for the profession I have chosen. Press be damned, star players be damned. Fans be damned. Its easier to do in the latter games with more interaction on offer but Championship Manager 2001-2 moves a lot quicker. A decision will need to be made. I recognise these are boring games to watch so I'll try my best to make it seem bearable.

And, if we hit $200 before 2am GMT on Sunday morning, we solve a murder.

Contradiction

From start to finish. We're solving this alcoholic's murder one bare-faced lie at a time armed only with a manbag, hat and "Just a few more questions, please." Make it happen. No hints. No chief calls. You are the chief!

So, yeah. Those are the main landmarks I'm looking at. I'm also looking to play a bit of Project Cars, Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls II, Metro 2033, Rocket League, Sleeping Dogs, AMONGST OTHERS! Should be a packed 24 hours so join me.

I'll also be streaming over the coming weekend to preview the events. I fancy revisiting some old games whilst drumming up some last-minute support. Plus I need to test this last-minute headset from Poundland. Desperate times. It's greatly appreciated and is going to a worthy cause.

Donate here.
(http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=166259)
Watch on twitch here. (http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc)

Much appreciated. Hope to see you guys in chat on the big day.

phonics
28-10-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm moving this to the main forum where a few people who might not care about games that much but are willing to give to charity might see it. Any other posters who are participating should feel free to make a similar post in this thread.

phonics
28-10-2015, 07:17 PM
For those interested in the charity it goes to:

Extra Life began in 2008 as a way of honoring a young lady named Victoria Enmon. Tori’s battle against acute lymphoblastic leukemia inspired the Sarcastic Gamer Community in a way that is difficult to describe. Members sent in video games and bought gifts to keep Tori’s spirits up despite numerous hospital stays and three bouts with the deadly disease.

Tragically, we lost Tori to cancer in January 2008. Later that year, I asked my partners at Sarcastic Gamer if they would be interested in Extra Life, a 24-hour video game marathon to raise money for the hospital that treated and fought beside Tori. In 2008 and 2009 Extra Life raised a combined $302,000, 100 percent of which went directly to help kids like Tori at my local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital (Texas Children’s Hospital).

While thousands of gamers, more than 100 websites and more than 12,000 donors were happy to support Extra Life, many expressed their desire to raise money to help kids closer to home. In what I can only consider destiny, in 2009 I left behind my radio career and went to work full-time for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as a Radiothon Director. This life-changing event gave me unique insight into an incredible non-profit organization that helps kids all over the United States and Canada.
I quickly realized that Children's Miracle Network Hospitals would be the perfect solution to expand Extra Life into more communities.

Since 1983, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals has raised more than $5 billion—most of it $1 at a time—for 170 children’s hospitals across the United States and Canada, which, in turn, use the money where it’s needed the most. These donations have gone to support research and training, purchase equipment, and pay for uncompensated care, all to save and improve the lives of as many children as possible.

Our mission: We increase funds and awareness for local children’s hospitals.

Our vision: Together we save kids’ lives.

Right now there’s a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital working to save the lives of kids in your community. In fact, 62 children enter a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital for treatment every minute — that's one child every second. Some are battling cancer. Some are suffering from a traumatic injury. Others require constant care because they were born too early, or with a genetic disease. Regardless of why the kids are there, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals always have their doors open.
See excerpts of our incredible journey below.

Shindig
28-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Cheers, phonics.

Shindig
06-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Just a reminder that my stint gets under way at 8am tomorrow.

THE LIST OF SOMETHINGS
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
Dark Souls II
Walking Dead: Season 2
Gone Home
Grow Home
Never Alone
Metro 2033
Sleeping Dogs
Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
Rocket League
Geometry Wars 3
The Golf Club
Championship Manager 2001-2002
Sonic Mega Collection +

And, if $200 is donated before 2am, Contradiction: A Terrifically Acted Adventure Game The whole shebang.

Donation page (http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=166259)
Watch on twitch here. (http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc)

JOIN ME. OR DON'T. CHARITY IS VOLUNTARY.

Jeet
06-11-2015, 09:30 PM
No Haxball?

Shindig
06-11-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm only now discovering what that is. And no. Although I have the strangest urge to reinstall Sumotori Dreams.

Dark Soldier
06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
I'll tune in for a bit tomorrow mate, hoping I catch you on The Golf Club :cool:

Shindig
06-11-2015, 10:30 PM
If you miss owt it'll be archived. The good thing about streaming from the PS4 means they'll record from game to game rather than one long block of 24 hours. Also, Sonic Mega Collection won't work on Windows 8. Awwww.

Baz
06-11-2015, 10:35 PM
How many hours are you putting into Muppet Race Mania?

Shindig
06-11-2015, 10:42 PM
None but here's a video of a helicopter crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNEsoZ_88kU

Spoonsky
07-11-2015, 12:09 AM
Hax-ball! Hax-ball! Hax-ball!

Shindig
07-11-2015, 07:14 AM
I spy a donation incentive. $250 and I'll pop my cherry. And this Poundland mic is predictably awful.

http://www.tinyurl.com/ShindigEX is the new donation link. Because its easier to plug that on stream.

Shindig
07-11-2015, 01:19 PM
G.O.L.F'yersel.

Also, some kid creeped me out during the Grow Home stream. The stuff you're missing, lads.

Shindig
08-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Threw the towel in 90 minutes from home but it was a great 22.5 hours that was a lot of fun putting together. Thanks again for all that watched and donated. The archive is on my twitch and you guys still have the opportunity to donate. Thoroughly enjoyed my first year doing this.

Donation link (https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donate.participant&participantID=166259)
Catch up on the archive. ("http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc)

How it went:

Metal Gear Solid V: S-rank attempts at the first 11 missions featuring Diamond Dogs with excellent names like Bastard Bat.
Grow Home: Featuring climbing and falling.
The Golf Club: Turns out that community has probably put your local golf club in there. Heworth, Washington and Durham represent, y'all.
Bloodborne: The continuing adventures of Christopher Lee.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Benfica. Not kings of Europe.
The Walking Dead: Season 2: Clementine does not care if you're pregnant.
Geomtry Wars 3: Dimensions: 2 minutes. 45 seconds. 3.30am.
Contradiction - Spot the Liar: Spot the audio problems. Subtitles are on so I guess you could act along with it.

Also, my copy of Sleeping Dogs is completely roughed up. At least the PS4 survived. And no Haxball. I got progressively less talkative in the latter stages, too. We're all winners, guys. Appreciated.

Giggles
08-11-2015, 12:41 PM
What was this, a gaming marathon for charity? What's the golf club bit about?

Shindig
08-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Exactly that. Hundreds upon hundreds of streamers burning the midnight oil in aid of Childrens' Hospitals in the United States and beyond. And the Golf Club has a course creator. Turns out some users go deep into it and create all sorts of courses. Such as the Durham North Golf & Country Club which is about a mile from my house.

phonics
08-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Could you do a search for 'Broadwater Park Golf Course' in Godalming/Farncombe, Shinners? If it has that I might just have to get it.

Mike
08-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Threw the towel in 90 minutes from home but it was a great 22.5 hours that was a lot of fun putting together. Thanks again for all that watched and donated. The archive is on my twitch and you guys still have the opportunity to donate. Thoroughly enjoyed my first year doing this.

Donation link (https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donate.participant&participantID=166259)
Catch up on the archive. ("http://www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc)

How it went:

Metal Gear Solid V: S-rank attempts at the first 11 missions featuring Diamond Dogs with excellent names like Bastard Bat.
Grow Home: Featuring climbing and falling.
The Golf Club: Turns out that community has probably put your local golf club in there. Heworth, Washington and Durham represent, y'all.
Bloodborne: The continuing adventures of Christopher Lee.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Benfica. Not kings of Europe.
The Walking Dead: Season 2: Clementine does not care if you're pregnant.
Geomtry Wars 3: Dimensions: 2 minutes. 45 seconds. 3.30am.
Contradiction - Spot the Liar: Spot the audio problems. Subtitles are on so I guess you could act along with it.

Also, my copy of Sleeping Dogs is completely roughed up. At least the PS4 survived. And no Haxball. I got progressively less talkative in the latter stages, too. We're all winners, guys. Appreciated.

Well done with it! I saw a bit of MGS before I went out yesterday :)

Shindig
08-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Sadly not, phonics.