PDA

View Full Version : Linesman Told To Favour Real Madrid In The Classico

phonics
22-10-2015, 02:00 PM
The linesman alleged that he was told that officials had already acted to influence the outcome of games and that another linesman has been subjected to similar pressures. According to his lawyer, Jacinto Vicente Hernández, an expert in sports law based in Barcelona, the linesman wanted to go public with the allegations but he persuaded his client to make a formal, legal statement to the anti-corruption investigating magistrate instead. The Guardia Civil has also been informed.

The story was broken by the Catalan newspaper L’Esportiu on Wednesday and followed up by Cadena Cope radio station. It has made a huge impact in Spain, even if there are doubts that anything will come of it. The “denuncia” or formal complaint made by the linesman through his lawyer, dated 19 October, has been published. In it, the linesman recognises that a telephone conversation he says took place was not recorded and that there is no concrete proof, but expresses the hope that the other linesman will also come forward.

José Ángel Jiménez Muñoz, who is reported as being the member of the referee’s committee accused of having made the telephone call to the linesman in question to apply extra pressure, said late on Wednesday night that he had not yet had the chance to read the “denuncia” but said of the allegations: “I have no idea where they come from. It is like something out of a Kafka novel.” Barcelona’s vice-president Susana Monje said: “I hope it does not prove to be true.”

Later, she added: “We will possibly discuss at it a meeting of the board. All I can say at the moment is that if it is confirmed, it will be dangerous story in terms of the prestige of La Liga (http://www.theguardian.com/football/laligafootball).” The claims have not been substantiated.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/22/real-madrid-barcelona-linesman-clasico-match-fixing?CMP=twt_gu

John Arne
22-10-2015, 02:34 PM
This seems like a bit of hot air. I read somewhere that the lawyer claimed his client (the lino) had been told to favour Real in the upcoming Clasico, despite the officials having not yet been decided by the FA - this could be bullshit as well, of course, just the other side of the story this far.

Pepe
22-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Corruption in football? I'm not buying it.

Magic
22-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Corruption in football? I'm not buying it.

We don't expect you to buy it. Here, have this brown envelope instead.