PDA

View Full Version : Capitalism can't even take a bit of criticism any more

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:10 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/21/class-war-protestor-poor-doors-not-guilty

Class War protester cleared of criminal damage at ‘poor doors’ demonstration

Lisa McKenzie had been accused of helping fix sticker to window of apartment block with separate doors for private and social-housing tenants

A protester tried under joint enterprise for causing criminal damage, after a sticker was fixed on the window of an upmarket block of London flats during a demonstration against “poor doors”, has been found not guilty.

Lisa McKenzie, a research fellow at the London School of Economics, was accused of assisting an unknown person in putting the sticker on a newly built block of flats which has separate doors for private and social-housing tenants.

McKenzie was also charged with two offences under the Public Order Act, including intent to cause alarm and distress and causing alarm and distress, which were thrown out by the judge due to a lack of evidence.

“The judge said at the end of the day that he was extremely uncomfortable that I had been profiled,” McKenzie told the Guardian from a pub in east London where she was celebrating after winning her case at Stratford magistrates court.

“The police were asked how they knew it was me and how they knew my name, and they said that I had been profiled in the meetings earlier, and the judge said he was very, very uncomfortable with how I had been profiled.”

McKenzie had been arrested two weeks after taking part in a protest organised by the anarchist group Class War on 19 February outside One Commercial Street, a 21-storey block of flats at the junction of Commercial Street and Whitechapel High Street in east London.

Described by its developers, Redrow, as a flagship project that is “like a blade of light”, the building had been criticised after it emerged that residents living in an affordable housing section would only be able to gain entry through a segregated entrance.

The development had only been granted planning permission after it was agreed that it would include a section of affordable housing.

The Crown Prosecution Service alleged that during the demonstration a sticker was stuck to a window on the building which had caused criminal damage. While it accepted that there was no evidence to show that McKenzie had affixed the sticker herself, it claimed that she had helped a masked person to do so.

“They said it caused £50 worth of criminal damage because the window had to be cleaned,” McKenzie said. “My counsel argued that there was no damage at all. The £50 of damage was not actually done because the builders next door had pulled the sticker off.”

McKenzie was found not guilty of the criminal damage charge after the judge decided that there was no evidence against her, even under joint enterprise.

Under the doctrine of joint enterprise, a person may be found guilty for another person’s crime if it is judged that each shared a common purpose. It is more commonly used in serious cases involving gangs, violence and murder. However, its use is controversial and there are a number of cases where it is claimed that application of the doctrine has resulted in miscarriages of justice.

The Guardian contacted the CPS and the Metropolitan police for comment but had received no reply at the time of publication.

That's right, arrested and tried for a fucking sticker.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:13 AM
How in the fuck did that ever get to court in the first place?

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:17 AM
To make a point and to scare people off further protests.

Lewis
22-10-2015, 01:18 AM
That Class War lot are pretty tragic. Ian Bone was a classic British crank. The newer, gobbier lot are just cretins.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:18 AM
This unbiased story is almost certainly true, word for word.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:19 AM
That Class War lot are pretty tragic. Ian Bone was a classic British crank. The newer, gobbier lot are just cretins.

He's still around.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:20 AM
The kind of middle class, hipster wankers around these days should be arrested just for being utter knobs.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:29 AM
In looking for more info on the woman, I stumbled across this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3253598/Don-t-worry-hipsters-cereal-cafe-got-vandalised-enjoying-publicity-says-Class-War-academic.html

Which I looked at for all of two seconds before I saw a link to this on the side bar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3283831/Jessica-Alba-admits-leans-mom-support-touching-Instagram-post.html

Jessica Alba, a billionaire? You fucking wot?

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:31 AM
She's working class - http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/21/estate-working-class-problem-st-anns-nottingham

And I'm not sure Harold knows what a hipster is.

Lewis
22-10-2015, 01:32 AM
He's still around.

Yeah, but he was a dreamer. He's probably secretly embarrassed by the new mob.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:33 AM
She's working class - http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/21/estate-working-class-problem-st-anns-nottingham

And I'm not sure Harold knows what a hipster is.

I wasn't referring to her.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Of course you weren't.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:44 AM
I wasn't, I didn't even know who she was. Look at the state of the twats behind her - that's the kind of muppets I'm referring to.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:49 AM
Also not hipsters but we'll chalk this up as another score in your 'live and let live' column.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:57 AM
Shall we make this thread about me, then? I thought you'd never ask.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 02:04 AM
You're pretty good at doing that with most threads.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Not without the help of snotty-nosed warriors like yourself.

Luca
22-10-2015, 03:03 AM
It's obviously lol that she was charged, but affixing a sticker on someone else's property is the preserve of cretins.

Magic
22-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Personally I could never live in such close proximity to the lower classes, even with such segregation.

Byron
22-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Not without the help of snotty-nosed warriors like yourself.

Coming from someone who had a meltdown posting pictures of waterparks and the like simply because we weren't giving you the attention you crave.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Coming from someone who had a meltdown posting pictures of waterparks and the like simply because we weren't giving you the attention you crave.

Quite the opposite, actually. That whole incident spawned from being treated differently. And who's 'we'?

Davgooner
22-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Boydy should start taking it to Harold on a large scale. YouTube the fuck out of him.

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 08:23 AM
My wings are like a shield of steel.

Henry
22-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Maybe she was one of the "extremists" that we can't tolerate these days.