PDA

View Full Version : The Demise of Shitetube

Magic
21-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Starting an 'advert free' fucking subscription service and will limit access to things for non-paying members. IMO it can get to fuck. They'll probably burden the non-payers with so much advertising (they are doing this now to be honest) that it'll become unbearable.

I'd also like to say the new Freeview advert is absolutely superb and beautifully sums up the fucking state we've got ourselves in with media. Got the cable and satellite companies to blame.

SvN
21-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Seems like I'll get it for free as a Google Music subscriber :cool:

Davgooner
21-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Youtube Red?

Hmm.

Boydy
21-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't get this. So you'll pay for youtube but it'll just be the same old shitty youtube without the ads? Who would bother with that?

Magic
21-10-2015, 07:38 PM
They're going to start limiting content I think.

Disco
21-10-2015, 07:51 PM
I would expect it to be on a by channel basis (a bit like Twitch) otherwise it will just kill large parts of the site. There's also going to be the option for channels to circumvent Adblock, which is probably going to be far more prevalent and actually makes some sense.

Yevrah
21-10-2015, 08:48 PM
"So, how do we monetise the userbase?" must be the death knell for many a popular website.

Like fuck am I paying a subscription for something that while entertaining, I lived 20+ years on this planet just fine without.

Jimmy Floyd
21-10-2015, 08:49 PM
It's been a while, I've got considerably richer, I've become more interested in their output, and yet guess what, I still haven't got a Telegraph or Times online subscription.

It's the ballache as much as anything.

Mike
21-10-2015, 08:53 PM
First I've heard about this? Got a link for it? Will suck if it happens :(

EDIT: Found it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34596219 :(

Pepe
21-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Don't really use Youtube much so obviously there is no way I'm paying. Isn't it advert infested nowadays? Surely they re making a fortune out of that alone.

Yevrah
21-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Yep, online newspaper subscriptions can be filed in the same bin as this.

I'm not some pinko twat who expects all this to be free, but equally, I just don't need to know what Mr Cunt Columnist thinks that much.

Disco
21-10-2015, 08:55 PM
"So, how do we monetise the userbase?" must be the death knell for many a popular website.

Like fuck am I paying a subscription for something that while entertaining, I lived 20+ years on this planet just fine without.

Ads has always been how they monetised the userbase and how some users can make a living, but when revenue is hit so hard by things like Adblock it's no surprise that they've taken action. I can't see many individual channels taking up the full paywall, it will kill the viewing numbers.

Yevrah
21-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Oh and Youtube Red? :D

Redtube would have been a lot snappier...

Pepe
21-10-2015, 08:58 PM
The surprise some will get when heading towards redtube. :D

Boydy
21-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Hopefully this kills the livelihood of cunts like charlieissocoollike.

Pepe
21-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Who?

Boydy
21-10-2015, 09:02 PM
A 'youtube star' and CUNT.

Here - https://www.youtube.com/user/charlieissocoollike

I stumbled across him a while back (actually it might've been thanks to someone on here) and have hated him intensely since.

Disco
Boyd is really going after the tweens this week, did the paperboy flip you off or something?

Yevrah
In the same vein, 10 billion views for this wanker?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-lHJZR3Gqxm24_Vd_AJ5Yw

This post is obviously dripping in jealously, but 10 billion? Come on...

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-10-2015, 09:04 PM
A 'youtube star' and CUNT.

Here - https://www.youtube.com/user/charlieissocoollike

I stumbled across him a while back (actually it might've been thanks to someone on here) and have hated him intensely since.

It was because of a TTHer, Taz to be exact.

Pepe
21-10-2015, 09:04 PM
People watching that shit really make me feel better about spending so much time on this bloody forum.

Boydy
21-10-2015, 09:05 PM
I'd heard of PewDiePie before as another 'youtube star' but never bothered to see what it/he is about. Is that it? Talking shit over games? It's not even funny.

Christ. The next generation are going to destroy human culture.

Sir Andy Mahowry
21-10-2015, 09:05 PM
In the same vein, 10 billion views for this wanker?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-lHJZR3Gqxm24_Vd_AJ5Yw

This post is obviously dripping in jealously, but 10 billion? Come on...
All Youtubers are awful but Pewdiepie really is the worst of the worst.

Disco
21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
He makes about £10m a year for doing that. People watch shit on every medium though, I mean look at basically all television.

Pepe
21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
How do you even find out about these 'stars?'

Disco
21-10-2015, 09:08 PM
There's a newsletter.

Magic
21-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Vloggers. :cool:

My little brother introduced me to the urine YouTubers.

Boydy
21-10-2015, 09:09 PM

Taz, apparently.

Yevrah
21-10-2015, 09:14 PM

I read about him in the Beeb article that Mike posted above. I wouldn't have known otherwise as I'm not that down with the kids.

Having looked I wished I hadn't bothered.

Yevrah
21-10-2015, 09:16 PM
He makes about £10m a year for doing that. People watch shit on every medium though, I mean look at basically all television.

It's not about the money though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn0y3Opb8Wk

Honest.

Disco
21-10-2015, 09:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlkMR0_Lsg

Lewis
21-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Those YouTube 'stars' basically monetise what we're doing here. They're heroes.

Magic
21-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Bring back the liveleak vlogs from 2005 onwards. Warren25 v Shrekhead. :drool:

Pat Condell started there too, IIRC.

Giggles
21-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Seems like I'll get it for free as a Google Music subscriber :cool:

If that's true then happy days.

Reg
21-10-2015, 10:39 PM
In my opinion this is grand news. Google don't have enough money.

igor_balis
21-10-2015, 11:30 PM
https://vimeo.com/107340063

Spoonsky
21-10-2015, 11:46 PM
If the only content that will be unavailable to us is "original Youtube series" starring bullshit Youtube celebrities then this doesn't seem all that bad, and could even lead to the end of such celebrities if their subscribers aren't willing to shell out.

igor_balis
21-10-2015, 11:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LH7ryspjs

Boydy
21-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I think you posted that before, Igor.

Lewis
21-10-2015, 11:57 PM
'Joe Bish' writes for Vice doesn't he? That pretty much makes him the biggest wanker around, so his Charlie hatred can only be bitterness-driven.

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Do you like Charlie, Lewis? I remember you defending him the last time he was mentioned, but I couldn't tell if you just thought criticism was unfair on the poor lad or if you really think he is so cool.

It probably is largely driven by bitterness and a lot of Joe B's output is pretty rubs but I think he's on point with the vloggers.

And yeah Boydy, I did post it before. You got a fucking problem with that, pal?

Lewis
22-10-2015, 12:21 AM
I don't like him, but he's happy and he's not hurting anybody, so all power to him. The Joe Bishes of the world, on the other hand, need to sort their lives out.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 12:29 AM
I'm not really sure who Joe Bish is but if he's writing for Vice, he's probably doing all right for himself. He's happy and not hurting anybody so all power to him. The Lewis Betts of this world need to sort their lives out.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Do you like Charlie, Lewis? I remember you defending him the last time he was mentioned, but I couldn't tell if you just thought criticism was unfair on the poor lad or if you really think he is so cool.

It probably is largely driven by bitterness and a lot of Joe B's output is pretty rubs but I think he's on point with the vloggers.

And yeah Boydy, I did post it before. You got a fucking problem with that, pal?

Nah, it makes more sense than most of the videos you post.

Is that Limmy one a parody of Charlie?

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 12:33 AM
A world with loads of Charlies and no Joe Bishes would be a fucking twee nightmarehttp://i.imgur.com/eIwZ3wd.gif

The world needs a few bitter wankers criticizing more successful people to maintain some sort of karmic balance.

I'd actually argue that us lot as a collective are a lot more like Joe Bish than we are like Charlie - snide sarky criticism is the lifeblood of this fucking place.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 12:35 AM
There'd be more rape than that gif though.

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Is that Limmy one a parody of Charlie?
Yes, and vloggers in general.

Nah, it makes more sense than most of the videos you post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5_VbK6VCo

Boydy
22-10-2015, 12:43 AM
How do you even find this weird shit?

Lewis
22-10-2015, 12:45 AM
I'm not really sure who Joe Bish is but if he's writing for Vice, he's probably doing all right for himself. He's happy and not hurting anybody so all power to him. The Lewis Betts of this world need to sort their lives out.

He isn't happy though. Everybody who writes for Vice quite clearly hates themselves (and rightly so).

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 01:02 AM
How do you even find this weird shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLZWx3ynrs

Spoonsky
22-10-2015, 01:03 AM
The Lewis Betts of this world are publishing books. The Joe Boydy's of the world need to sort themselves out.

Lewis
22-10-2015, 01:08 AM
I used to be friends with somebody who liked to post that sort of 'weird shit' on Facebook. We all thought it was a nice outlet for his obsessive personality (or at least a nicer outlet than stalking that lass all through secondary school to the point where she developed an eating disorder and missed most of year ten), but a few weeks ago he deleted us all off Facebook for lolling at Jeremy Corbyn, so who knows what he is up to now?

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Looking at this list, I've clearly been doing life wrong.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:15 AM

I'm not some pinko twat who expects all this to be free, but equally, I just don't need to know what Mr Cunt Columnist thinks that much.

It absolutely should be free. It's the 'free' stuff that we pay a monthly broadband bill for.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:16 AM
Having looked at a few of those, the formula seems to be: gaming + stupid voices = £££.

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 01:16 AM
I used to be friends with somebody who liked to post that sort of 'weird shit' on Facebook. We all thought it was a nice outlet for his obsessive personality (or at least a nicer outlet than stalking that lass all through secondary school to the point where she developed an eating disorder and missed most of year ten), but a few weeks ago he deleted us all off Facebook for lolling at Jeremy Corbyn, so who knows what he is up to now?

You were friends with him after the stalking? I know people do stupid shit when they're 14 but I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. He does sound like a cool guy aside from that though.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:17 AM

Why should the Times online be free? It's their content, so they're just as much welcome to charge for it as I am to turn down the option to pay for it.

And the broadband bill is paid to get access to the internet in the first place, not ALL of the content within.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Having looked at a few of those, the formula seems to be: gaming + stupid voices = £££.

Indeed.

So if you marry that approach, with recent games on this list you should be shitting money come this time next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

I might try it with Fallout 4.

Lewis
22-10-2015, 01:22 AM
You were friends with him after the stalking? I know people do stupid shit when they're 14 but I think that would be a deal-breaker for me. He does sound like a cool guy aside from that though.

We didn't really know the extent of it all until recently (I last saw him in 2010). There were always different versions of it at the time, and we just thought he was a bit hung up on her (if a little bit odd with it).

QE Harold Flair
22-10-2015, 01:23 AM
Why should the Times online be free? It's their content, so they're just as much welcome to charge for it as I am to turn down the option to pay for it.

And the broadband bill is paid to get access to the internet in the first place, not ALL of the content within.

I wasn't referring to The Times, I was referring to Youtube. It gained popularity (and money) from being free in the first place.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:26 AM
I wasn't referring to The Times, I was referring to Youtube. It gained popularity (and money) from being free in the first place.

And again they're welcome to charge for it if they want to. If that fucks their popularity up (which I suspect it might) then that's the risk they take - something else will take its place if that's the case.

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 01:31 AM
Youtube going behind a pay-barrier would be dangerous for me. If I had to look elsewhere for weird videos I'd probably end up on fucking liveleak with Magic watching Indian blokes getting run over by lorries and shit.

igor_balis
22-10-2015, 01:37 AM
We didn't really know the extent of it all until recently (I last saw him in 2010). There were always different versions of it at the time, and we just thought he was a bit hung up on her (if a little bit odd with it).

Fair enough, it's pretty fucked up. My ex-girlfriend told me she had a stalker when she was at school, which sounded really horrible until she explained it was when she was 15 and the lad was in year 7 or something. More of an annoyance than a genuinely traumatising experience, but she still didn't appreciate me laughing at her.

Boydy
22-10-2015, 01:38 AM
I would laugh at that too.

Yevrah
22-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Year 7's what, 11 or 12?

Did he stalk her on his skateboard?

igor_balis
28-10-2015, 05:06 PM
https://vimeo.com/115578078
I know you all hate him but he did another one, and even though he is a bit of a cunt it did make me laugh. The Hogwarts line especially.

Toby
28-10-2015, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed that, igor, so I'm now watching another.

"When you're devoid of any personality you swap out any sort of sincerity for dated pop culture references..."

:eyemouth:

Angelsaint
29-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Ads has always been how they monetised the userbase and how some users can make a living, but when revenue is hit so hard by things like Adblock it's no surprise that they've taken action. I can't see many individual channels taking up the full paywall, it will kill the viewing numbers. Does adblock stops the ad before the video starts? Why no one told me that? And how that works BTW? I thought the ad was embedded in the video or better, the Google ad link was embedded in the video.

igor_balis
29-10-2015, 10:19 AM
That post is just begging to be read out by Adam Buxton in that silly voice he does or sutin.

Disco
29-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Does adblock stops the ad before the video starts? Why no one told me that? And how that works BTW? I thought the ad was embedded in the video or better, the Google ad link was embedded in the video.

It will stop all ads, the prerolls (the ones at the start) as well as the little banners that appear across the bottom of the video and any that appear at the top of recommended lists etc.

I have since discovered that the channels initially trialling the subscription model will be putting extra content up that will be behind a paywall, seemingly the whole site is covered by a single sub so you wouldn't have to sign up to them individually.

Disco
29-10-2015, 06:02 PM
As for how it works I don't really know but the ads can't be embedded into the video itself, that would need to be done by the uploader. I suppose that also means you can watch a video from 5 years ago and see an up to date ad. I would guess that it works on some kind of script that Adblock just prevent from running.

Angelsaint
29-10-2015, 07:17 PM
There you see, always learning. Thanks for the info.

ItalAussie
30-10-2015, 12:08 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Timecube finally lapsing off the internet.

RIP, you crazy diamond.

Shindig
30-10-2015, 07:06 AM
So someone is steaming 9 days of "Painting with Bob Ross" in honour of the late man's birthday. Twitch chat is asking him direct questions. He's been dead for 20 years. Great.

Disco
30-10-2015, 09:08 AM
I normally try and catch some of Horror Month on Dan's Gaming, it's amazing how many idiots try and talk to him during the recorded parts. Not quite as bad as interrupting a painting dead man though.